Asheron's Call Is Dead

Press F to pay respects.

Well, it's been 17 years. It is time to let go.

F
Atleast I can still play WoW! and on Private Servers!
fucking kill this board already holy shit

Never heard of it. Lol?

I assumed it was dead long ago. Impressive that it lasted so long I guess.

and of course they won't release any of the source code nobody ever wants to profit from anymore

I didn't even know this existed.

Same. The last time I'd ever heard of it, they were down to around 2-3 digits in terms of active players.

newfags and underages get the fuck of my board
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HOW FUCKING HARD CAN IT BE

server source when?

add it to the list of dead MMOs that never released the source code.

I remember reading about Asheron's Call. Never played it or looked into it that deeply.

What was it like?

Glad to see some other folks remember. I was in at the beta test, and played up to about when the weirdo blue people showed up. I remember the Shadow Wars, the big Olthoi Invasion, and even the silly White Rabbit dungeon. Too bad AC2 mortally wounded the game.

It didn't really have classes, each time you leveled up the game just dumped the points on you to spend as you please. Combat also had a system where you could choose the speed at which you could attack, at least for non-spellcasters. Projectiles also had to be aimed, and some glitchy movement stuff made it so that expert players in PvP looked sort of like a psychadelic Quake match. Mostly though I feel like it had a more tight-knit community with more involved players. Mods were also given a lot more leeway in using their powers to interact with the world, and also were the prime means of making story events happen. I remember on one of the servers a couple of the big guilds actually joined with the bad guys in the Shadow Wars and actually changed the story at least temporarily by killing off one of the main heroes. Not exactly something you'd see happen in WoW.

Rest in peace, now give us the fucking source code so people can get private servers running.

F

Everytime I hear about a good MMO it's always "This game was good, but now it died".
I don't play a lot of MMO's since I haven't seen anything that ticks the right boxes for me, so maybe I'm too blame for not following the genre.
But it really sucks that the biggest, most marketed games are pieces of shit and niche stuff like this silently dies before I get to hear about it.

But hey, silver lining: at least it wasn't bought by Tencent. If you think you're hurting now, you don't know the pain those slanted eye fuckers inflicted on the world.

It was one of the big 3 along with EQ and DAoC, it just dwindled when WoW took over the market, same like all other older MMOs.

Every day we get another reminder that nothing lasts forever. Loss is the only eternal thing there is.

I quit a long, long time ago when AC2 came out.

AC1: everything was a skill you could put points into to be anything you wanted. Had a ninja cook alchemist. Sweet.

AC2: We have a class system now but there are skills only in that class system.

No thanks, I'll just play AC1 where i get complete freedom of my character.

AC1 now has a class system and all your shit has been reset.

*quit for dark ages*

Did they ever reverse that shit? Because its the sole reason I quit. I didnt play EQ specifically because I enjoyed not having to be stapled down to a "class" and when they botched it in AC2 and forced it on people in AC1, i decided to put my time elsewhere. I still, to this day, immediately abandon companies the moment they pull shit like that.

WAKE ME UP

Underage doesn't mean what you think it means, bro. People born in 2000 will soon be 18.

F

isn't that some shit

I first heard about this game a few years ago in one of Archengeia/Lorerunner's videos. Never played it but it sucks when MMOs die/turn to shit like SMT: Imagine and RuneScape (at least there's OSRS).

Can't someone just… break in and steal the source?

You must have misunderstood a change they made. Classes were never introduced in ac1. There were suggestions, with "class names" slapped on top, basically glorified titles, but no true classes. It stayed stat/skillpoint/xp based through its entire lifespan.

Also, RIP AC. I played EQ before you, but AC is the game that made me fall in love with MMOs when I was 16.

The only "AC" thing i know is Assassin's Creed. And what's this irrelevant shit? Am i supposed to know?

This is minecraft tier.

If that's the only AC you know, you truly are a sad individual. There are about a half dozen high quality series' shortened as AC, and you only know the shittiest one.

I never played it and I think you're a shithead.
Its a respect thread user, let it die in peace.

MMORPG genre has been in a slump for a long time. There's just more specialized and segmented games that chip away parts of what made an MMO great.

RIP in pepperoni, you sailed pretty far for a dead-on-arrival gaem

I used to run a character on AC for the sole purpose of stealing from people trying to trade.

If I remember correctly, there was no trade interface. You had to drop things on the ground/into a chest to give them to another player. So if you were on the ball you could hang out in the populated areas and watch for people pairing off and wandering to empty buildings or the woods. I would then follow them, wait untill they dropped the item and run in for the snatch.

I would then transfer the items to my main character and distribute them to my followers because AC had a wierd guild system that functioned like a pyramid scheme. You were encouraged to give things to lower people in your guild because they kicked XP up the chain, or something like that.

You shall be missed.

Holy shit I hope you are 12 or retarded. UO, EQ and AC were the big 3. DAoC was part of the second generation that killed off AC and left it in the 300 active players for the next decade state it shambled on in.

There was indeed a trade interface, and you could also just drag stuff onto people to give it to them. You are thinking of people dropping shit from their main so they can log in on another character to pick it up.