You are now in charge of developing Metroid 5 and making Metroid great again

You are now in charge of developing Metroid 5 and making Metroid great again.

How do you revive the franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

aveyond.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

poz it up even more

Take the first three, make them into a single game while trying to spread powerup progression across all three or find a shitty excuse to strip the player of everything twice using either HD sprites or HGH style stylized 3D environments with 2D elements, all that using Project Base or Hyper Metroid movement and free aim

Whatever you're gonna try that new is gonna suck in comparison to what has already been done with metroid so why bother.

Remake Super Metroid and give it a massive visual increase. Add a shortened version of Metroid II to the beginning of it. Keep controls and all sequence breaking intact.

For 3D, it continues the Fusion story line. Samus is now the "last metroid" because Metroid DNA is part of her. You are hunted by both the Federation and Space Pirates. Game is a co-op FPS where the other person can play Sylux. Big open arena fighting areas like Metroid Prime 2. Intuitive but simple puzzles like Prime 1. Single player you switch hunters similar to Pikmin 2.

1.- remake super metroid and test the waters
2.- make another 2d metroid afterwards. Happens after fusion. Ditch Adam and ditch the monologue shit. back to super metroid formula. Galactic federation rogue faction and pirates banding together to clone metroids and you gotta stop them.

Metroid 5 or Metroid Fusion 2.
Samus is on a quest to collect all other AIs on a different space station because I don't know. Maybe they deteriorate if they're not kept up with windows updates and this one space station sent out a distress signal 3 years ago or the Federation wants someone to just upload the data from the memory banks and the AI is infected by a virus or something, maybe it's another AI, maybe it's an aspect of that same AI, maybe it's TechaRidley I don't fucking know.
Would like to keep it all simple and familiar, but if I were in charge of Metroid and Nintendo was in charge of me, I'd probably have to shove in some gimmick.
This being a 2D game I'd either make Samus have some Matrix sections (like the new Shadowrun games) or have Adam talk to you and be controllable by a second player, so a mix of Cortana/Nectrissa and Super Mario Galaxy. Just kidding.
No dialogue, no side characters, no 5-hours-to-charge-a-single-diffusion missile bullshit.
Just.
Metroid.

Tell everyone I rebooted the series so Samus is a dude only to reveal I was lying at the very end.

Wait so…
Is Samus a robot, girl, Seamus the Scottish sailor or trans? Wait, then which way is it trans?
Oh st. John Flynt, guide me through these trying times!

pull another metroid prime off with a somewhat original setting. something that isnt connected to the timeline.
adventure and discovery is what im after, continuity and story arcs can get in the way.

Metroid Zero Mission, you start off with every upgrade you'd get in a normal Metroid. Game is based around finding new unique upgrades that haven't been done before.

Three planets to explore. Each one has a detailed surface, and deep cave systems. Finding upgrades on each allow you to explore more on the other planets. Reaching the bottom of the three planets gives you the key to the final level that has a boss rush and the final boss. The final level requires you to skillfully use every tool at your disposal to get through.

Bring in Sylux as a rival, he joins your team mid-way through and you can character switch to use their unique abilities to get past obstacles. Some of the relics/tools you found earlier were incompatible with Samus's suit but works with Sylux's.

Final boss battle requires you to control both Sylux and Samus at once to attack him from both sides.

Takes place after Fusion, Samus has a cooler looking version of the fusion suit.

That's just me spitballing tho

Make a metroid VN where you can date Ridley, Kraid, mother brain, a metroid, and Samus herself.

Return the feeling of isolation.

Stranded or knowing that you're facing the danger alone is what a good metroid game should be about. We don't need some one (be it human or machine) giving us hints along the way or anything outside a very basic narrative. I'd even go as far as to make samus mute. Let the player explore, find out things for them self and become consumed with the game.

Perhaps even add a New Game+. That way the player will feel incentivized to see what they can do with the gear they already obtained. Mind that nothing should be impossible to obtain, just some things are easier with particular items (space jump, high jump, spiderball and so on) but thru things like bomb jumping, wall jumping and other tricks the player can self learn they can make there way thru seemingly impassable sections.

Give me the Breath of the Wild of Metroid. 3D, first person, and truly nonlinear, where it's a challenge to figure out where you're supposed to go, not just choosing one of a few branching paths or exploiting a sequence break. Design a great big alien facility/ecosystem and let me wander. Add some extremely basic survival mechanics (like health refills that you have to track down, not simply loot off any dead enemy. maybe armor that degrades and you have to find unique replacement scraps as you go) and I'm good to go.

And it goes without saying, but no fucking story, dialogue, or character development. I just want to wander and hunt in peace.

Let's assume this new game is on Zebes, Ridley Kraid and Mother brain are all bosses, and you're there to hunt the metroids. (We don't have to commit to those decisions, we're just going to assume that's the case.)

It's not necessarily a remake of Metroid 1 or 3, but considering the final product will probably have all those things- why should people care. They can easily find a romhack or a fangame or a copycat title. And not only why should customers care enough to by it, Why should the dev team care enough to spend years of their life on it?

idealistically, the way nintendo works is they design a game around a central mechanic and stretch that concept as far as possible. The X parasites are basically just the same health pickups with a new twist, but they affect fusions, story, samus' powers, and all the enemy designs.
Zero Mission tried something less successful with it's chozo hint systems. They affected the gameplay by plotting out the basic path (and encouraging the player to sequence break out of spite), and they reinforce the story by showing how Samus relied on the chozo as a kid, but now has to take care of herself.

Finding a gameplay mechanic that compliments the metroid formula is the first big step. And it's probably the reason Nintendo hasn't touched the franchise in so long.

make it an open world third person shooter.

I would get it

She gains additional chozo DNA powers and is able to do flight powers with Ridley because of them.

2D graphics by Vanillaware.

The game starts as a young Samus is doing the trials to earn her first power suit (it's a tutorial that you can just speed through if you know what to do like the frigate in Prime).

After earning her suit, Space Pirates attack and uplift the temple Samus is on (to steal all the tech in it). After the pirates flee from their Chozo raid, Samus is now stuck on a Space Pirate ship with no allies. To escape she must obtain upgrades that are a mix of recovered Chozo artifacts, stolen Space Pirate tech and even more alien technology from previous Space Pirate victims. The fear she spreads as she terrorizes Space Pirates on their own ship will give her her soon to be well known reputation as The Hunter.

Because of the way you worded it, I imagined the space tubes pirates going through a chozo crash course and winning Samus' suit while she 's furiously arguing with Old Bird about exceptions to the rule.

Is it just me or does Metroid 1 suck donkey dick?

The first metroid is definitely the worst

i wanna be the much feared loli commando

Change the metroids into niggers and change Samus into Moonman. There, I just saved niptendo from nintendoom.

Continue the storyline but make some changes. The Fusion suit sucked so it has to go.

I've had the same idea of the Federation and Pirates coming after Samus. It feels like the most logical choice in advancing the story. In a way the space federation stuff was BS that needed to go or be expanded on. They've shown time and time again that they're corrupt. Here's what I had I had in mind:

How does this end? Don't know. Nintendo is shit though so don't expect anything like this. Ever.

I turn it i to a cinimatic experiance for a new generation. Think the order but with samus and ridley. In between cinimatic storytelling sections small breaks would be granted to the player in the style of a side scrolling strategy game, think king aurthurs world on the nes. The only unit you would controll however is samus with her stronk posse of baby metroids that she bred in her spare time giving her cheeri g on and good feelings. When samus encounters an enemy unit the fighting is resolved with a series of quick time events to keep you on your toes. These breaks would be short, about 3 to 5 minutes, as to not hurt immersion from the real treat that is the cinimatic experiance.

Ridley is not too big for smash. He can be scaled down. Nintendo is finished with DLC yet either. He is coming. The one we see on the stage is just a clone not the actual Ridley.

Do what they did in Prime 3 and spread the game out across multiple planets.
Though this time actually change up the gameplay from what we're used to. I don't mind the metroid formula but if I wanted another metroid game that changed very little I'de just play the originals again or look for romhacks.

Here's my idea guy list for how the game would more or less work.

I'm sure this list will piss more than a few people off. I could probably explain the reasoning behind the decisions though and how they mechanically tie together. The only unrealistic aspect about it I would say is just how large the maps would have to be. But it's 2D so if I was in charge I'de probably have a decent sized budget.

Either kill Samus off and start with a new faceless generic space warrior for the player to project onto or de-canonize Fusion and Other M and Zero Mission's diarrhea. The latter is a rather ridiculous undertaking.

Next, we get the guy who made Super Metroid Redesign on board to help make a new Metroid from scratch. Nintendo has absolutely no idea what Metroid is about anymore, so it's important to reach out to the ROMhack community for design input.

Then we have a big decision to make. Either we make the sequel that Super Metroid always deserved, taking its weapons and mechanics to near frontiers of gameplay demands (always wanted to really go wild with speed booster puzzles for instance). Or we free ourselves of some of the limitations of expected mechanics and try to come up with more new abilities and gameplay. The latter will be easier if Samus is dead.

Above all, whether it's done in the exact manner of Super Metroid or something totally different, we must focus on returning to its design paradigm of a game with much to offer on exploration the first few playthroughs, but massive replayability geared towards speed running after that.

How about some real 2D artists instead? Vanillaware a shit.

No but I want him to be thicc on my face

FPS/RPG hybrid (think eye).
Three planets to explore, but 3D, and with less clunky controls. Have the planets all be in the same Solar System (possibly a few smaller moom, asteroids, or stations) and spread the item progression among them. One central spaceport where you go to restock on things / upgrade.

Have the star be a red dwarf.
First planet could be a tidally locked world with incredibly strange fauna around the terminator. Have burts of radiation be a problem. You go all around the planet, to the icy wastes on the dark side, culminating with you going to the part of the planet facing the star, with gale force winds and arid landscapes.

The second planet could be orbitting incredibly close to the parent star, and require you to have gotten the Varia Suit from the hot zone of the first planet. Deep, deep beeath the scorched surface could be a breath-taking undergound eco-system of bioluminenscent, fungi-esque lifeforms.

The third planet could be an ocean world, orbitting further away then the rest away. You land on the "ocean floor" comprised of a form of super-dense ice and venture deeper within then "crust". You need a high pressure suit to be here. Eventually as you progress through the caves, it becomes hotter, as magma is following up from lava tubes through the ice.

Idk, someone expand on this.

A primarily open world Metroid would be shit considering how important the connection between platforming and enemy placement has been in literally every game in the series, it would end up being a Metroid flavored Fallout 4 or some shit.

Now, if open world overworld maps existed and the meat of the game, the depths of whatever the maps connect to, was built with either Prime or Super's design philosophies, that would truly give us the best possible open world use.

If that's what you guys mean then okay count me in.

We also need the real Samus back, the one who isn't a beta cocksleeve for her husbando Adam, but is in fact an interstellar bounty hunter/merc fighting wild animals and evil aliens.

Fusion was a shallow clone of Super with improved mechanics. We should demand better. It was passable. Prime was innovative and great and shit but I agree with everyone hungry for a 2D title before a 3D one again.

Let M2 handle it

1. Retcon everything and repeat the stock Metroid formula: run-and-gun with upgrades that both expand your ability to travel and are useful in battle.

2. Multiplayer pirate / hunter game set in Metroid universe. Allow people to design their own bases and invade each other.

3. The life of a bounty hunter in Metroid universe. Go on missions to randomly generated dungeons with hired AI backup, improve your suit so you can go on better missions, improve your ship, improve your reputation so people will hire you for more dangerous missions and give you partial payment up front.

nice i like bewbz

Nintendo pulls a Sega and pay Milton "DoctorM64" Guasti to design the next game.

And have him make the music too, that shit was awesome

While I don't like the idea of an open-world Metroid, I would make a more open game. I do like the idea of exploring an enemy facility a la Pirate Homeworld from Corruption would be neat. I really liked the aesthetic they had going for it, and the early parts of that section really felt like you were infiltrating their stronghold. I like the idea of slowly descending further into the facility. Right now I've got the central area kind of having a Star Wars Coruscant look to it in my head. This means that as you go deeper it gets darker, halfway through the game you'd be in AM2R Metroid Lair levels of darkness.
It would be a 3D third-person game with heavy platforming and exploration, lots of mobility but not Other M-tier. The suit should feel weighty. As you get deeper areas could be gated, and to progress you would need an item, kill a boss, find an area, etc. In the pic I show the possibility of circumventing a gate via exploration, allowing for low% runs. Finding these routes would be extremely difficult, the layout would get extremely confusing even with a map. Hidden areas would be done with subtle clues, cracks in the walls and such, but not like Metroid Prime where you could spot destructible sections with extreme ease (look for the cracks that are modeled in/destructible walls are different shades from the rest). Scan visor would be back but wouldn't be as helpful for finding items/secrets.

That's all I've got so far. Definitely keep upgrades from Fusion, but you have to get new, better ones for the facility. Power creep shouldn't be a concern in Metroid, you reach demi-god status at least 5 times in the series already.

An idea of the look I was going for

Kill yourself.

I'll never understand it, what about grabbing ledges sullies the gameplay to the point where you would dismiss the entire game over it?

I disbelieve your statement vociferously.

It completely destroys the satisfaction of platforming.

How does it do that? The levels are design around having the ledge grab in there, the platforms are more spaced out accordingly. If anything it gives you that satisfying sound when you grab a ledge and pull yourself up, and allows for neat combat scenarios where the only safe zones are on ledges/ladders.

Because 1) the skill needed to get from one platform to another is drastically reduced and 2) every single time you ledge grab there's a extra annoying little animation you have to get past to move on.

The thing is that the skill required for platforming in Metroid was never very high, by Super it was pretty much brain-dead. Any difficulty was because of enemies hitting you mid-air/off a platform, which doesn't go away with ledge grabbing. The skill in platforming was determined exclusively by the speed at which you could reach point A to point B, not the difficulty with which that point was reached. The only punishment for messing up is lost time.
Besides, in ZM the time needed for the ledge grab animation can be avoided by wall jumping onto the platform, assuming you're not a casual.

Guys Guys!

Listen to this!

Metroid Pinball

You ready?!!!! Spork

FOR IPHONE

Wow, serious question: have you even played the original Metroid?

Just because you don't fall into instant death traps doesn't mean it was easy.

Yeah, I beat it when I was 12. There aren't any gaps that are challenging to cross, but there are skrees that will hit you mid-air for 10 health and send you into acid. The casual solution was to be patient and kill them before moving forward, or wait for them to go off screen until you get the screw attack. I can think of maybe 3 rooms where death was an actual possibility from sheer platforming difficulty. They were in Norfair and there were many tiny platforms that you could hit your head on or miss.
As long as you had high-jump and at least one energy tank you could fall into lava and then grind for health once you got out. You have a lot of air control in Metroid since you have 2 jump types, one with good horizontal distance/speed (somersault) and one with good horizontal mobility (normal jump). So as long as you're not an idiot you shouldn't be falling into lava in the first place.

I'd just give this IP to pic related, sit back and watch the fanboys throw shekkels at their screens

Yeah just what Metroid needs a bunch of shitty RPG mechanics and hideous graphics.

Only a hippster would dislike Vailla Ware's visuals
Though i do agree that RPG mechanics may not be suited for this

choosing how Samus gets upgrades essentially would allow you to explore stuff in the order you desire. Not the worst idea. Just doesn't need to override the platforming/shooting elements of gameplay.

True But most of Vanilla Ware games have one thing that is most certainly cancer if aplied to a Metroid game
GRINDING
It's one thing to farm for missiles and health pick ups, but doing so for XP points would kill the game
another Studio that comes to mind would be Moon studio, Ori and the Blind Forest is a masterpiece
Anyway i was only thinking in the visuals and music
Vanilla Ware is top notch when it comes to that

oh yeah fuck grinding.

It'd be best to tie it into exploration rewards. Like, you find "Chozo upgrade nodes" in different parts of levels and you choose which power you get when you find one. It would mean that almost all levels would need to have branches directly connecting to the hub/overworld so your choices never end up totally locking you out of stuff, and there would need to be at least one per level. Good shit like E tanks and missile expansions would be past the power-up barriers unique to each branch. You could still combine barrier types in all the levels if you allow Samus to respec her nodes in her ship or something.

as for enemy difficulty progression, the game could just increase it with the number of nodes owned by increasing damage, hit points, movement speed, switching projectile spreads, adding or removing AI behaviors, etc.

Put Retro Studios on it and let them do it however they want.
Instant gold.

Don't you think we've had enough mediocre FPSs? It's time for a real Metroid game again.

First game: Samus start off under-powered as normal.
Second game: When taking on the Federation contract to rid SR388 as part of the conditions she has to leave the superweapons at home so she doesn't turn them on her support team (which gets wiped out immediately anyway).
Third game (which takes place straight after the second): Samus responds to the distress call and fights Ridley who fucks her up royally. She barely escapes and crashlands back on Zebes without her gear.

For my own idea, I'd have Samus be the bounty. At the end of Fusion she fucked up a Federation research station, wiped out a planet, stole an AI advisor, and one their loaner battlefrigates, while being a successful experiment to fuse the most advanced alien race's DNA (the Chozo) with the most powerful bioweapon's DNA (the Metroids) on top of being a woman who is capable of breeding.
So there are bounty hunters after her and she lands on a remote planet at Adam's suggestion. Other bounty hunters find her there and hunt her and set up ambushes and shit, and simultaneously Samus finds more Federation research shit happening on this planet that Adam (kind of) knew about. Turns out they took DNA samples from Samus and have been trying to clone her (unsuccessfully).
This also explains why other creatures from the games appear, because they are also cloning experiments *(like the Ridley clone from Other M which will specifically be mentioned as no longer canon and completely and deliberately ignored and contradicted in the rest of the game to drive that fact home).
After fighting off crazed Samus clones (a bit like SA-X from Fusion) ad other failed Federation experiments, Samus finds a small blonde haired girl at the centre of the planet in the core of the facility.
She says her name is Connie, and she was the first basic successful clone of Samus, used as a control sample when they performed other various tests such as advanced aging and shit (which explains why she is young, and also explains her nickname Connie=Control Sample).
Samus rescues the child, fights her way free, and flies off somewhere to fulfil her dream of motherhood and family taken from her when Ridley destroyed her homeplanet, and has Adam as a robot/AI husband to help.
All along the way she is picking up power-ups that have been reverse engineered by the Federation so she can use them again (including a near-identical Power Suit to get rid of the awful Fusion suit design).

The third one wasn't fantastic and the DS one sucked, but you'd have to be retarded to hate the first two Prime games, not to mention everything they've done since then has been fucking great. Modern Retro would be the best thing that happened to Metroid since Prime 1.

I bought Prime on release and while it was certainly better than the absolute pile of shit Fusion, I've never been terribly impressed by it. Tried to play through it again a while back and had to stop around the space pirate ship due to the sluggish, obnoxious controls.

First-person is a shit perspective for a platformer. Retro had the right idea making it 3rd-person originally, it's a shame Miyamoto made them change it. And now after the disaster that was Other M we'll never experience a proper 3D Metroid. The series needs some serious chemo in the form of a proper 2D return-to-form title again if it wants to go anywhere good.

Metroid's never been a platformer. Being 2D and being able to jump doesn't make a platformer.

lol k

The controls in Prime are fine honestly. I can see how people might not have went for them but given the time and the fact that playing Samus in first person is so much cooler I don't really mind. There's never really a point in the game for me where the controls inhibited me that much. I just got used to the sluggish movements because it felt right.

Prime didn't have much platforming in it outside of a few segments that were pretty simple. Are you sure you just couldn't adapt? Maybe it just isn't your thing and it just comes down to preference.

Prime 2 is miserably overrated. It's padded out with tons of pointless backtracking and light/dark ammo management is a chore.

Probably the biggest argument you could make against it. But it's a Metroid game so I dunno what you expected. For people like me who enjoy games like DK64 I don't mind backtracking so it's fine to me.

Then don't shoot like a retard. Getting ammo is easy but not if you waste it.

Other Metroid games give you more reason to backtrack besides finding bullshit artifacts that don't even offer more exploration options. Dark/light ammo did nothing for the gameplay, same with the mechanic of running from one dome of light to another. They found a way to make backtracking and exploration both boring and tedious in a Metroid game, an achievement in and of itself.

Like I said I don't mind it. They're there to complete a function of the game and that's enough for me. It doesn't hurt that a good incentive to back tracking allows you to get missile expansions and energy tanks you weren't able to get before. Also the environments were great.

It did I just think you didn't notice. Besides both types of weapons dealing different amounts of damage on certain enemies they also made boss battles much more tense. As your beam ammo was just one more thing that was difficult to replenish mid battle. Again I'm not seeing your point of view here. It just sounds like one of those things you either love or hate.

Would you even call that a mechanic? You did the same thing in Super Metroid with bosses revealing the final segment of the game. This time it's just the Light Worlds energy and the Luminoth Keys to reveal the final segment of the game.

If Vanilla Ware is gonna remake anything Nintendo related, it should be the CDI Zelda trilogy.

do a fully fledged standalone nintendo land metroid game, except you can swap weapons on the fly and you can dash infinitely with the a button

Samus' Ship has crash landed on the planet Zebes, and her powersuit has been disabled!
Fortunately, the animals of the forest befreind her and make her a lovely dress to help her explore the planet.

Travel through the various lands and caves of zebes, searching for hidden objects, Solving puzzles left by the Chozo, and traps left by the pirates. and save your metroid friends from the fiendish mother Brain.

a collaboration of Nintendo and Big Fish Games.

10/10 make it happen

aveyond.com/
These are the best guys for the job. We should get them and nintendo to start talking.

I was joking at first, but I kind of want to see this happen now.

SHIP TO SHIP COMBAT
SHIP UPGRADES
OPEN EXPLORABLE GALAXY LIKE PULSAR
NO SCRIPTED/ON RAILS PLATFORMING BULLSHIT
LOTS OF DIFFERENT WEAPON TYPES, NOT JUST VARIANT ARM CANNON/ROCKETS
FIGHT GIGA NIGGA RIDLEY IN FUCKING SPAAAAAACE

You took my idea and ruined it in the first line

technically speaking, that's every Metroid Prime game.

2.5D is absolute fucking cancer in sidescrollers

I can see where you're coming from, but I wholeheartedly disagree.
I can't think of any more good examples though…

Trine

SNES level progression where youre tasked like Metroid 2 where your mission is to exterminate all metroids on multiple planets that you travel between.

This user gets it.

Not really, there's nothing RPG about Metroid Prime. It's an adventure game

Tomba/Tomba 2 and Pandemonium 1 and 2 are pretty fucking good as well.

2.5D remake of the SNES version would be a good place to start. Add a little of the forced path from Fusion, but only for the very beginning of the game, then open it up and use things like requiring certain items to move forward (space jump, etc) in classic Metroid style. "Oh, I could go there! …once I have the right item" is a really good motivator for players.

Also, downplay the shit out of the fact that Samus is female.

It'd be a radical buddy cop crossover coop game with Captain Falcon, reviving two franchises at the same time. Samus's gameplay would be a more intense version of the Prime series while Captain Falcon's gameplay would be like God Hand's.

That's a perfect example of 2d with 3d looking like a bunch of toys on a bookshelf. Thanks.

providing a sense of resource management and urgency as well as being atmospheric and encouraging to use your power beam more often.

are you
that's a bad thing?

Initially, when I played Prime (didn't play 2D Metroid first because being a child of a different generation takes priority to Holla Forums opinions) and landed on Tallon I thought it was going to let me go in any direction and let me tackle the various dungeons of the world in any order but that was quickly ruined for me.
So whilst I think 3D Metroid would be more fun to try out with Bayonetta style camera and lock on and versatile power up uses both in and out of combat, letting me tackle the game's dungeons in any order would be cool.

wwwwwwww

how would you work the gear progression into the game? metroids always been about unlocking new weapons and gizmos to get past obstacles.
its not impossible but there would have to be some compromise. another issue would be figuring out a way to have the danger scale according to your power progression. in one ideal scenario, perhaps clearing one 'dungeon' would change the layout of the others in that sector. i think megaman x6 did something like that, but not to as an extreme degree as i would hope for in this imaginary metroid game. i think anything less would dull the experience.

It's asinine. They fan the perspective out as much as possible so you can see how 3D the models are, but it not only makes immersion difficult, it draws needless attention to how contrived the level design is.

It also feels more cramped. It's easier to exaggerate the background depth when you crush the Z axis (or work with Rendered sprites instead of 3D models.)

Super Metroid actually lets you go pretty much anywhere after you have all the items that unlock doors, but the caveat is that it's excruciatingly hard to tackle certain areas without certain items, such as Norfair and Ridley's lair without the Varia or Gravity Suits. It's not impossible, as some autists managed to do reverse boss order runs.

-Link overlooks Hyrule kingdom from a balcony window.-
Link
This world. It feels so lifeless now.

-Thunderous steps as heard, and the king, modeled in the design of Odin walks in from the right as the camera pans back into the palace-
King
Would you take away from the people the peace you fought so hard to acquire, all so that you could do it again.

Link
It is certainly a selfish musing, to wish for ganon's return. But nothing more than a musing. Pay it no mind.

You might be overthinking it a bit.

Classic Metroid formula, but with hand-drawn sprites, like that one Wario game on the Wii that no one played. Use Retro's idea about the abandoned ship in space that has the competing AI personalities trying to help/hurt/rape/betray Samus along the way. Don't use throwback level designs (like Super including part of Metroid 1) or Mother Brain or Phazon or X Parasites or Metroids at all - this should be the one that frees the series from having to include the titular creature and move it toward a less-anchored story. Takes place after Fusion, Samus is on the run from the GF but finds a distress signal that draws her to an abandoned megaship. Insert random callbacks that mock Other M.

Gameplay is still pure 2D. Some powers are traditional but lots of new ones - take inspiration from Axiom Verge, not by copying its powers, but in coming up with alternatives to the traditional double-jump, Morph Ball, stronger-beam powerups (though personally I'd obviously still keep Morph Ball) that also make her significantly more agile overall. No compartmentalization of the map - no Fusion-style Sections, for instance. There can be clear areas, but they should be heavily attached to adjacent areas by open and secret passages.

More expansive dungeons with multiple pathings based on which route you took.
For example if there's say an area like the Torvus Bog one path would be underwater with the gravity suit leading to different exits than an above water path focusing on shinesparking and using the grapple beam. I think moving the focus away from doors in general is a good idea, it was weird for them to just exist in the wilderness in the Prime games.
It would all come down to how well the level design was done of course, but it's what I'd like.

In metroid 1, the game takes advantage of there not being any map (besides the vague one in the instruction booklet) by making the rooms so long and repetitive that you wind up going in circles without even knowing it.

In Super Metroid, the map is more accessible and tracks your location, but they balance that out showing exactly where the bosses are, but not telling you exactly how to get to them.

Fusion gives you very specific directions on where to go, but then turns the level on it's head in one way or another forcing you to figure your own.
The funny part is, you get so used to doing this, that you end up deliberately going against orders without really thinking about it.

Zero Mission practically holds your hand the whole way through before it suddenly lets go and leaves you practically unarmed to fend for yourself.
On top of that though, When you revisit the game you realize you never once had to follow instructions.

It's not about freedom of choice. It's about making the player look at things a certain way and making them think it was their idea.

You don't even need the Long Beam to beat the game. One route I like is to kill Ridley in Norfair by going through it backwards

I think it'd be kickass to have God Hand style F-Zero game, along with the normal racing mode. Have fights in between races.

have fights while racing

Nintendo requires you to have some gimmicky new thing attached to every game, so here I go:
Gimmick: "Open world" and the ability to choose upgrades like in Zelda ALttP2.

Gimmick: It's VR. Each game comes with the shitty tablet holder VR set up that was shown in their patent.

I have no idea what this is supposed to imply.

I like your idea user

Metroid 5 is a game set after Metroid Fusion and is the finale to Samus's story. It is also the darkest story in the series. Adam Malkovich would play a huge role in Samus's story despite being dead.

Samus is on the run from the Galactic Federation due to the destruction of the space station AND SR388. She is considered the most wanted fugitive in the galaxy and is to be killed on site. Samus is also dealing with a severe mutation from the Metroid DNA implanted in her, due to the evolution life cycle of the Metroids. She's been absorbing her powers from Fusion just to survive and hold off on absorbing the animals from Zebes. She crash lands on a distant planet, after detecting it as a secret Chozo research base, which reveals startling details about the Chozo race and why they died out in the galaxy.

A second playable character, a sword user, is considered only second to Samus in the galaxy. He is brutal, and relentless, and will mercilessly kill anything that interferes with his mission, including friendlies. He wields a pair of vibrating tantō, which can enable him to climb up walls. His suit is a custom made suit, which far exceeds anything the federation can build. He tracks Samus's ship to the Chozo base and tracks her down there.

Gameplay would be the same 2D view but with 3D HD graphics. It would play as close to Super Metroid as possible, but with new upgrades for Samus and the bounty hunter. Both can wall jump like in Super Metroid, allowing for great sequence breaking if the player is skilled enough. The bounty hunter recovers health like in the older games, but Samus, due to her condition, recovers differently. She can kill the wildlife, or cripple them, and absorb them like metroids can, but her evolution (and mutation) speeds up and worsens for Samus. You can also recover health at save points along with missiles, bombs, etc.

All you need to do now is add some survival aspects and crafting and put an open beta on steam.
congrats.

ADD TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES

Give it the same format as Super with Prime's controls. Add a NG+ option where you play as a Federation member and collect information on whatever backwater shithole the game takes place on.

Too bad Metroid isn't survival horror.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for Tropical Dong and Smash Bros.

It will play like doos oox. There will be tubes to circumvent fighting so that you can sneak up on ayys.

Also special tube areas and lore will be give to tubes like robots in tubes you need to race or bomb in tube puzzles.

Metroid meets Dark Souls meets Vanquished

make it happen

Metroid Prime + Vanquished + Tubes + Mitsuda
I think we are on to something here.

I actually described a buzz lightyear game I'd like to make that I'd essentially do to Metroid. Every idea in this thread, before reading it is already going to be boring or just more of the same calling it now.

Ideally there would be alerts and such, and depending on how you play certain areas could be blocked off/harder to get to. For example, if you trigger an alarm some rooms in later areas would lock down, and the player could either manually unlock them one by one or find some place to unlock all of them at once. Players could also access security terminals to unlock doors instead of say, using missiles, but trying to use it too much would disable terminals for a set period of time/make it harder to access them in the future.

Or just do that.

this is probably best.

Samus would be great in a cuh-razeee game; it was half-assed in Other M, amongst its other sins. That said, the somber isolation/horror in the exploration would be lost.

The same shit occurred when you ran out of missiles in a boss fight in Super. Resource management has always been in Metroid to some degree.

bump

this user is correct. Shantae half genie hero did a good job with 2.5d tho.

Half the ideas I had for a hypothetical metroid game ended up being in am2r. I guess step one is hire the spic who made it.