Redemption Storiers

Do you know any other awesome come backs in video games industry?

The series was finished a long time before that with 5. Evolved was Sqeenix trying to squeeze money out of a spent IP.

Might as well throw my pick, as debatable as it is.

Compile Heart was okay at first until they became full dykeshit with Neptunia. This is a redemption thread, not a falling from grace thread.

The projection is strong with this one.

Looking at the list of their games I tend to agree that it went downhill with neptunia franchise.
I mean I can absolutely appreciate cute shit and girls lusting for each other, but only when it's attached to good gameplay like in Fortune Summoners or Summon Knight games for gba.

Neptunia are straight out bad video games.

I'll tell you why this happens

It's because we often start off with no income or capital at all, and we need to make something fast that we can sell to build up a stable amount of money. Once we have that money, we can re-invest it and hire the talent and manpower we need to make truly great games. Every studio has potential, people just need to realize that they have to get their foot in the door somehow.

You game deving user? Have you ever managed to "hire the talent and manpower" and made something good yet or are you just covering your ass with this excuse?

Neptunia is the definition of lazy shovelware

Yoko's games aren't meant to appeal to everyone. He's just weird and likes making weird things and some people enjoy them a lot.

Also this
Off topic but also this

Sounds good on paper, but in reality most of devs release something good first, and then unstoppable barrage of garbage later.

Nier is both unique and objectively good video game. Drakengard is just edgy shit like hatred but with bad gameplay, the only weird thing in it is the last ending.

how about reverse stories?

It's completely adequate gameplay and as far as "edgy" shit goes, hardly. Hatred is actually edgy to the point of satire, while I'd describe Drakengaurd more as a "japanese heavy metal"

Too many of those.
Recent one is skullgirls, where they first make game to ride on sex appeal and then start to retroactively censor it. Good job.

What adequate gameplay? Dark Souls has adequate gameplay. Monster Hunter has adequate gameplay. Dynasty Warriors 8 has adequate gameplay.
Drakengard has objectively bad gameplay.

i thought you use kickstarter to kickstart your first project and then become successful forever, not drop back down and ask to pedal money everytime you feel like working

I thought all musous were shitty grindy copy pastes of each other in terms of gameplay?

Well shit like that snowballs, expect more garbage from those guys.

Try playing it not on easy next time.

>Try damage sponge mode next time, it'll be fun take longer, I promise.

Last DW with hard mode like that was 3 or 4.
Better luck next time.

Guess you are too much of a pansy to handle the MURDER.

People like you are the reason why NISA and treehouse insert memes in their butcher jobs.

You sound like an asshat who doesn't have an argument.

Dark Souls is in a similar boat to Drakengard, not exact but similar. The main goal with Dark Souls isn't to deliver the most technically impressive experience but to build a world, and it does that using the gameplay itself. Drakengard does something similar but it doesn't try to refine it's gameplay and instead settles for something entirely adequate. In Dark Souls' case the gameplay isn't adequate at all, but instead succeeds incredibly by helping build the world around you. You are nothing but a hollow, a zombie trying to make it by like anyone else in the world and you can die easily unless you can learn to stand out. In Drakengard's case, the gameplay is adequate in helping deliver the experience the devs want you to while playing the game. If the gameplay isn't your cup of tea and the story isn't interesting to you, that doesn't mean the game is bad, it just means you don't like it.

I think your definition of "bad" and "Adequate" are completely fucked up and I don't think you'd know genuinely bad gameplay if it smacked you in the face and fucked your wife and mother right in front of you. Drakengard's gameplay is simply adequate. It doesn't try to be more, it does what it needs to, it pushes what the developers want and what the fans want. It's totally adequate, it does it's job, it's not particularly enjoyable but it's not bad either.

As for Monster hunter I don't know what you're talking about, the gameplay is fantastic, and as for DW, how can you compare Drakengard to the series and then spout how "drakengard is bad but this series that it plays almost exactly like is better!"

You just have objectively bad opinions that are objectively shit and you can't argue objectives at all because you've objectively been on Holla Forums too long and you need to exit your objective hugbox and argue with people who value objectivity more or less the same as you but on the other side of the coin somewhere else for an objective while.

It depends. Yes, they're INCREDIBLY grindy. Most only are different in a very nuanced way gameplay wise with different mechanics that change things up slightly. The main draw isn't the gameplay itself it's the strategy to it. The best DW or DW tie in games are the ones that have great base management and support a wide variety of playstyles. That's why HW is so beloved, the characters, DLC ones included, offer a huge variety of playstyles and though the selection of maps is shit, each one offers just enough to be good enough for some fun strategizing while fighting through an army.

Hello Taro-san, working on your english I see?

Cyanide

Not really a story of redemption, but apparently Richard Garriot got a lot of mail from parents concerned that Ultima 1-3 were a bad influence for his children, this was around the same time as the "D&D is satanic" scare, and instead of trashing them like pretty much anyone else would've he actually took it as inspiration to make the next game more spiritual and ended inventing the morality system you see in just about every RPG now. It's just too bad none of the modern ones do it as well.

I really wonder if people like you have ever booted up Drakengard. Seems like you just checked the lets play from darkId and ditto his opinion.

He sounds like he's parroting an opinion he's heard on the internet so it'd make sense.

Quit parroting and make your own opinion, projectionfag.

I'm not even sure you can say Drakengard gameplay is 'adequate' unless you compare it to PS2 era musous, maybe that's the argument here?

I wouldn't say that the Ultima V morality system is what modern rpgs use, modern rpgs just make it 'goody two shoes ←> asshole' rather than having multiple virtues that are realized through different actions

Why does /pol play Japanese videogames when they just know they're going to hate it?

Just go back to Tumblr if you want a safe space, where do you think you are?

Yuri isn't so much degenerate as it is lesbian propaganda.

Really now? Even Dynasty Warriors 4 is 100 times more fun and enjoyable than drakengard.

Well that is your opinion.
I enjoyed the game, because it really challenged me in accomplishing 100%.

that picture is from yugioh isn't it?

iirc, the 4kids version replaced the jew star for another design.

You are seriously fucking stupid. You should hang yourself for how fucking retarded you are.

People like you have no idea what you are talking about. Skullgirls in it's inception got a lot of flack for being filled with sexy women and every major gaming news outlet slammed the game on it's launch. Both the devs and community defended it's merits as a deep and innovative fighting game. People wanted everyone to know it wasn't just another anime airdasher with no real depth and sexy women to waifu and fap too.

The biggest selling points was it being a successor to the idea of MvC2, but an improvement in areas. And it's training mode was touted as a great way to get newbies to the genre into the game. The ratio system let you pick any team size you wanted up to three characters and the IPS was supposed to address the horrendous the VS series had with infinites.

Sexy women was definitely on the front on the games image but if you're the type of faggot who got mad over two frames being removed from a game you didn't play kindly don't act like you understand what the controversy surrounding Skullgirls was. Saying Skullgirls tried to ride on sex appeal is disingenuous at best, and the result of you just parroting Holla Forums's opinion about the game at worst.

Not an argument, pill taker. Please kill yourself first before anyone takes your man-hating seriously.

am i the only one who thinks this is a good pseudonym for an open-world game protagonist?

something like strelok's "marked one" or dark souls "chosen undead"/"ashen one"

Yes because people who takes pill and/or meds need to be exterminated, why else do you think it's such a good insult?

Goddammit we got a runaway S.

a runaway semite?

That too, I'll bet! Leave a penny out and be prepared to fire.

I don't like OP or anyone that shits on Drakengard but praises Nier.
They're both good, if you exclusively like Nier i consider you a simpleton that can't into niche titles.

I've even seen people hate Drakengard but praise DW or SW, in this very thread, something i consider the epitome of pleb.
On old Holla Forums, you woul've been laughed off the board.
You're lucky this is neo Holla Forums, aka "we don't play video games and our standards for posters is abysmal: the board".
Fucking uncultured swine scum.

This is why no one likes the lab zero defense force.

Aren't they all niggers, like the MvC fanbase?
But worse because they're weebniggers that jack off to western art?
Basically the worst of every single other fanbase condensed in one?

Get a load of this faggot.

They try to justify the censorship and the fact how all the employees are huge SJW faggots who freak out about things being too lewd yet it is somewhat ok if they do it, but then they still censor themselves. They are friends with game journalists and Wu. Mike Z admitted he censored the game many times before to be more socially aware. There is also a lot of other stuff as well.

You seem like you know some niche games. Have any recommendations?
No seriously I need something like Drakengard series. Every game feels monotonous now. You seem like a guy who knows something so share your knowledge.

Its also a shitty fighting game.

I'm sorry people find all the wrong reasons to get pissy with Lab zero instead of the legitimate ones like with what happened to Eliza's bathing suit. But then again Holla Forums hated the game before the devs started shooting themselves in the foot and they still hate it now.

That is what I meant with Mike Z censoring his artists and his work.

Also this.

Specifically like Drakengard, i can't think of any.
Maybe like, Chaos Legion, and Evergrace, but i'm really pushing it with Evergrace.
If you specifically want the "everything is going to shit a lot of shit is becoming abstract what the fuck is going on" you could try Baroque.

But, like, probably 3 people in this entire goddamn board could even remotely hope to finish Baroque.

Except the original statement was just about Skullgirls banking itself in it's lewds, and then my response was about people getting mad over the panty shots removal, a decision that by all evidence was purely on behalf of the art team.

Nobody is seriously in denial about Mike overreaching his bounds and making Alex tone down his game art.

I have everything done but the voice gallery and two of the bonus dungeons. 100 floors is a slog.

Thanks for reminding. +100 hours spent and I still have no idea what I am supposed to do. But I must admit I like the world.
And that also reminded me about Pandora's Tower. Looks like it has same kind of feel as baroque.

No, I'm not fishing for (You)'s.

Ironic as fuck coming from a Drumph cuck; maybe you should go back to r/the_donald.

To be fair, they did pull a massive 180 after its first year which does deserve to be commended. I still dont want one or to upgrade to windows 10 but I still admire some people like Phil Spencer.

I'm late into Drakengard, thinking I'm going to get a save game or something for the weapon collection and fifth ending, don't know if I should, getting all the weapons feels like tedium that might sour me on something I'm actually kind of enjoying… In any case am about to get the fourth ending myself shortly…

It has simultaneously drawn me in and repelled me most of the way through, but I'm liking the sense of completion and interesting scenarios these endings are throwing at me.

moonman moonman can't you see

dont cheap out. satisfaction at the end is best thing ever.

Yeah, do it for real, dude.
You'll know it was worth it at the end.

is there any good way to emulate drakengard on the pcsx2? Or do I just have to deal with the slowdown or get a better PC?

PS2 emulation is fucking trash in general.
God i wish the people working on it got their shit together, why do we have amazing GC emulation yet PS2 emulation, that has 50 times more games waiting to be explored, is half assed and shitty?

Shantae was originally a sub-par game boy game which wasn't terribly exciting, sexy, or fun at all. Now it's one of the most popular waifus around.

Had no problems emulating it in native settings in hardware mode. I suggest 4:3 monitor/tv for output. For some reason it just boosted performance like crazy.

Do you know what depth your tower is currently at? Part of a way to gauge what you've done is by looking at how many floors make up the neuro tower.

What was your next objective?

That is also an underrated Wii title, although it doesn't have the same atmosphere as Baroque.

I honestly dont remember. But levels started to look really hitech, and i used orbs to extend depth maybe 2 or 3 times.

That's not Moonman

How about this?

that is pacman's american cousin

My only memories of Summon Knight were using the spell that made it so you didn't flinch when you got hit, then I just wailed on everything until they died and they couldn't fight back.
Even the final boss went down in a few seconds.

t. antifa cuckold

Nier has good combat, exploration, bosses, story and characters.
The only good thing in drakengard is music, which still can't compare to Nier's.
You need a special kind of hipster mentality to like drakengard's combat, because it's unresponsive, unsatisfactory, challeging in all wrong ways and the whole flying stage gimmick is abyssal, especially if you played real rail shooters before. And your post only proves my opinion.
Drakengard's only worth it to watch it on youtube to get your portion of cheap edge, and censored one at that.

So you played Drakengard 3?

Actually not yet. I'm only talking about first one's dragon portions.
Isn't Drakengard 3 actually good action game? I heard it was, but I'm yet to play it.

but I liked Raiden in every game

by that post I meant that Drakengard doesn't have any rail shooting segments. they are more akin to ace combat than anything. D3 has every air combat sequence as rail shooter.

Drakengard 3 is an awful game. I mean, I liked the story and the music and the characters, but the actual gameplay was fucking terrible. The combat and movement was clunky and slow as fuck, and you had to basically cheese the harder enemies to death in the later levels. The entire game is also a linear corridor and it plays at a silky smooth 10fps at all times. Can't believe I actually wasted my life upgrading every single weapon in the game just so I could have the privilege of getting mad at the last boss.

Idk, maybe it'd be better if it was an anime tbh fam.hotwheelsletmepost

Oh god, I tried. That game is so long though I'm in the same boat as

Maybe you should kill yourself right now, you're not gonna surpass this level of bait anytime in your life time.

This. Neptunia is total dogshit

Does the story at least get interesting past Branch A? I finished that and thought it was eh. Makes me scared to try Nier or Drakengard 1.

Ok so you had made it to the labs which means you are one extension until the final set of floors are opened. Can you remember which orbs you had used?

I'll say this about Baroque. It's opaque as fuck with how it works. My first playthrough I accidentally killed every NPC on the over world except the Coffin Man, Item Collector, and Baroquemonger because I didn't realize how Longneck's Idea Sephirah worked. Didn't realize that wasn't how things were supposed to go until much later.

I did have to use a guide to tell me who to give what items too but after the first couple of hints I understood the logic of the game.

The bulk of Baroque is going to be surviving the dungeon and grinding for idea sephirah and equipment to fill out your lists. Surviving in the dungeon is easy once you realize you can run past 80% of the enemies in the game

Seriously, if you care to use this thread as an excuse on what to do just fire any questions at me. I was pretty deep into this game years ago and most of it is still stuck in my head. I'd be glad to help anyone get the true ending at least and share any tips I might have.

There must be something wrong with me for completing Drakengard 3 100% but not being able to get into NIER when I finally got my hands on it, it's something about the combat, maybe playing it on hard mode is to blame because everything feels like a damage sponge.

Not good. Barely tolerable and repetitive, and shit framerates.

Admittedly even though I did it 100% I abused the DLC chapters for their extra gold. Pirated of course (Facebook of all fucking places has the links to it all and patches to actually play it).

It's a pretty damn awesome GBC game thank you very much.

Nothing most likely. That's their usual approach with book covers and signs.

Every game made after 2007 has been lazy shovelware, I don't know how anyone on Holla Forums can play any modern game these days.

Dying Light and Call of Juarez Gunslinger at least redeemed Techland after how poor Dead Island was

Yeah, that's basically how most dungeon crawlers work I've learned. Shiren works a similar way where you spend most of your time grinding weapons and shields until they're overpowered and then bumrushing through to the final floor.

ending d explains what this clusterfuck of a game actually is about. and is million times better than anything in the game.

Oh shit, I guess I should blow the dust off my Wii and give Baroque another try. Never realized I was this close to an end.

I think SEGA really fits under this, and they seem to do it frequently. What other company could come back from the dreamcast and every single Sonic flop? Even the Saturn gave us our sweet prince SEGATA SANSHIRO. (May he forever rest in peace.)

Sega deserves a mention for what they did with Phantasy Star Universe. Instead of pulling a Nintendo and doubling down while refusing to accept that they no longer know how to make a good game, Sega admitted they couldn't do it anymore, outsourced the series to Alpha Systems, and they turned shit into gold with the Phantasy Star Portable series. In fact, they did it so well that Sega bought Alpha Systems and renamed them Phantasy Star Crew.

After all shittalking it received, I was amazed what PSO2 actually was when I first played it a few years ago. I still suffers from being f2p game, but it can easily compete with most singleplayer action games in terms of combat, presentation and production values.
Never getting western version also saved it from giant SJW shitstorm that happened shortly after its release, since no way "localisation" would go unbutchered.

Holla Forums doesn't fucking play games. They just come to Holla Forums and bitch.

Yeah, if you are in the labs (electric floors and stainless steel walls) you are in the -2200 phase of the tower.

After that you have the -3000 phase and that is how you get the game ending. Then you have the -4000 phase and the bonus dungeons will open up as well but all that is optional.

But yeah, only one more phase to go. Hold that Baroque close user, you have almost made it to the end.

what gave you the idea that they play video games? they arent even allowed to play video games

you only liked him in 2 because he had a nice ass.

Is Nier one of those games where hard gives everything obscene health pools? I thought it would get better once I could upgrade my weapons but shit still takes so long to kill it seems like magic is the only viable option. Is the whole game like this?

Yeah.
On flip side when playing normal everything but last couple of bosses takes one or two hits to be killed on NG+ while being physically unable to even scratch you.

I heard Drakenguard was pretty cool.
I assume that's what you're talking about, right?
Might be wrong. I should give it a play. Has a qt talking dragon, doesn't it?

I dunno mate, if you like angry grannies maybe.
Either way play it. Don't expect fun from it though.

Dragons in general are cute, what can I say.

If you perceive person's or character's attractiveness based on external factors like race or age, you're fucking degenerate and should be gassed.

Fair enough, I guess. Still, everyone has their own standards for physical attraction. While character is very important, you can't say you base all attraction purely on that.
Otherwise you'd be screwing Jenine the Burn Victim.

I think I'm going to burn my current playthrough and restart if that's the case. I only just beat the junk heap boss it took a fucking hour too

Junk heap visits are generally the longest and most troublesome ones. You'll return there a bunch of times, so yeah.

I'm admiring that they actually hired a mod studio to continue updating AOE 2 HD with new expansion packs (And forever supplying the world with "WE WUZ" memes). Botnet 10 is a step back, but they are starting to get why people loved the Xbox Huge in the first place.

Though Double Helix is even more insane redemption story when you consider they weren't even the first choice studio to do KI. It was originally Iron Galaxy who were asked to do it but Divekick was way more important to their plans so they had to pass. Then you add in that Reverge/Lab Z and Superbot were some of the companies pitching. The competition was insane. And it was a game MS had a tiny budget for because MS studios were told "Fighting Games are a dead genre" and it was only to be a tech demo for launch that would be continued if it was successful.

The thing was, the head of Double Helix's favourite game of all time was Killer Instinct, he had a cabinet in his office and always joked to MS to call if they ever were making a new one. So when MS did as a courtesy to let them pitch. DH went all out and made a playable vertical slice based on Microsoft's design spec at great cost while everyone else just had concept art and UI mock ups. The vertical slice played so well that MS gave them the job. Everyone freaked because of all the studios, it was Double Helix and Mike Z took a temper tantrum (And this was back in the days when Indies "Could do no wrong") and the game was part of one of the worst, most hostile console launches in history. And it played great. It was in the spirit of KI, sounded great. Didn't look too great (Took till the Season 2 update for Iron Galaxy to add some Anti-Aliasing and texture filtering along with a rez bump. Game looks rather pretty on PC too). But Double Helix had done it. And then got bought by Amazon. But it was a hell of a game to go out on.

The history of the new KI is insane. Especially because it became a symbolic middle finger to that one exec saying "Fighting Games are a Dead Genre".

I didn't like KL back in the day and never gave a shit about its reboot and what not especially since it was on xbone and win10.
I occasionally gave Strider 2014 a go, since I'm a huge Strider fun, and was taken aback by how fucking great game was. I was like "who the fuck did this, they are wizard", and read the whole DH history.
Truly a miracle.

You're a fucking idiot.
You are an ABSOLUTE MORON.
Jesus christ just kys.

Not getting the point, I see.

user please. Its not that bad. It Just Challenges you properly.

This doesn't make me want to play Drakengard, it makes me want to smack the fedora off of your fat head.

In horror games this is incredibly true.

Good, well designed bad gameplay is a great way to cause frustration, anxiety, and fear.

Maybe it is better that you go back to playing Overwatch or something. Understanding Drakengard isn't for lesser minds.

Bump

lucky bump

Interesting thread half-shat up by haters and fanboys.
Are there any OTHER examples of devs or games unfucking their shit?
I want to name Hyper Light Drifter but it will probably attract even more shitposting.

That's stupid, Drakengaard was a musou because those were popular at the time, and they made the dragon segments because ace combat was popular too. If it was intentionally bad it would be consistently bad. This whole argument is blown up by the fact that some of the ace combat dragon moments are actually fucking awesome and carpet bombing musou canon fodder while you fly over is amazing.

Would you prefer it if they filled it with rough manly men for your female protagonist to fuck because you totally don't agree with homosexuality and will rather date a man than a woman in a vidya gaem