Star control 2

Just played this for the first time.

25 years old nearly and the game is still a fucking masterpiece.

It's like mass effect, but actually good.

Mine minerals. Explore worlds. Meet diverse aliens. Enjoy hilarious dialogue and a brilliantly crafted game universe.

It's amazing this game never seems to be talked about.

Other urls found in this thread:

sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

back to freech

Not much to talk about as most topics have been covered.
Priority over-ride, new behavior dictated.
Must break target into componant materials.

It's a great example of a good game being more than the sum of its parts. When you take any singular aspect of SC2 alone, none of them are all that impressive. It's how masterfully each one complements the others and builds up the whole experience.

Well, okay, there is one thing: the soundtrack is fucking top-tier awesome even all by itself.

They are such nice guys, even when they are trying to kill you.

When? I haven't seen a thread about Star Control before and I lurk here often. You act like something being discussed by a bunch of people years ago somehow means the game should be consigned to the history books?

That kind of comment is the worst thing about this site. It's completely vacuous and could be applied to any game.

Most people haven't heard about this game. Their chances of hearing about it drop to near-zero if no one talks about it.

Well, the voice acting and unique ways the aliens speak and act is really brilliantly done. I can't believe this game is from 1992.

Best *fingers* in the game.

SC2 has come up plenty, especially but not limited to the space general thread. I don't see that as a reason to not have the thread though, true.

92-94 is the real best 3 year period in PC gaming. 98-00 is second place.

The Orz did absolutely nothing wrong. I don't know what people have against it.

You know, I just realized I've never actually played any of the voiced versions. All my playthroughs were installed from DOS floppy disks with Sound Blaster card digital audio. One of these days I'm going to have to rectify that.

It's worth giving a shot but personally I found it too jarring, what with already having put a voice to them in my head.

In the process of making a star control review.
It really is under rated.
I hope the reboot is any good.

It's funny that Ur-Quan are considered the evil ones when your pic is far worse and can signal the destruction of the galaxy. It's even more funny that you can have them become your ally's and most people don't even realize their evil plot.

1996 - 1998 had:

Half Life
Thief
Both Fallout games
Baldurs gate
starcraft
descent: freespace
Dungeon keeper
Curse of Monkey island
Riven
Blood
Myth
Diablo
Duke Nukem 3d
Quake
Red Alert

I don't think either of your 3 year periods has a roster that comes anywhere near that.

sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
The 3DO version (the one with voices) were released as freeware (with a different title). So it's not like you have too much of an excuse.

No. You take that back right the fuck now. Star Control 2 is one of my absolute favourite, treasured games and Bioware took the formula and pissed all over it. If you showed this game to someone today, they'd say "Oh it's like Mass Effekd :)", just like you have.
Because of that, Bioware is now a household name in shitty rpgs while the autists that worked on this now make fucking Skylanders. SC3 was shit and SC:O will be as well. Fuck you for making me think of that. Fuck.

Re-read the whole comment you turbo-autist.

I'm more insulted that you're implying Mass Effect is the one that did it first, when it's the opposite and they pretty much ripped off everything from Star Control.

He implied nothing of the sort.

He didn't imply anything about chronology mayne, don't get triggered.

UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com in NA)
Doom & Doom II
Heretic
Wolfenstein 3D
Star Control II
Dune 2
Warcraft
Transport Tycoon
Descent
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
System Shock
X-Wing
TIE Fighter
Wing Commander 3
The 7th Guest
Myst
Jagged Alliance
Colonization
SimCity 2000
Sam & Max Hit the Road
King's Quest VI
Gabriel Knight 1
Beneath a Steel Sky
Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen
M&M V: Darkside of Xeen (combines to make World of Xeen)
Ultima VII
Syndicate
Wizardry VII
Alone in the Dark
Darklands
Lands of Lore
Jazz Jackrabbit
One Must Fall: 2097
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of The Tentacle

In 92 alone the grandfathers of survival horror, RTS, FPS, and realtime FPRPG's were released, the last (Ultima Underworld) being the first fully textured and lit 3D game. Also Street Fighter 2 made it into homes and MK into arcades the same year.
It really puts years like this one into sharp contrast.

Speaking of FPRPG, I guess I should have included TES:Arena in the 92-94 list, though I've never cared for the series.

Polite sage for double post

Are you mentally handicapped?

I said in the OP it was a 25 year old game. How the hell could I then imply Mass effect, a game that came out 10 years ago, did it first?

Since you said "Like Mass Effect, but not shit". Its a common grammatical mistake.