What's your favorite genre and what game would you recommend to someone as a good starting point for said genre?

What's your favorite genre and what game would you recommend to someone as a good starting point for said genre?

Hardcore platformers.
Dustforce.

Classic Rayman

rail shooters, panzer dragoon. I think the great music will catch your attention, but the small amounts of world building will entice you into playing more, combined with the intense action and grading at the end of each stage will be a push to have you improve your playing.

Tough call. Mechwarrior 4 with MekTek is a solid start, but so is Earthseige 2. Earthseige 2 is also much more forgiving.

Big ol' Bass 2 (Konami/PS1)

I have too many favourite genres

Banjo-Kazooie, because of how comfy it is. It's slow paced, but great for relaxing and having fun.
Rocket: Robot on Wheels, because of all the cool stuff it did for it's time.

MH4U. Best tutorial, great difficulty curve and actually tries to have a story.

Space Engineers creative mode, because of the crazy stuff you can do with dynamic grids and C#. They also just added a tutorial
Minecraft creative mode, because if you know how to build you can easily make good stuff.

JRPGs, and Chrono Trigger is the de facto first and best game you have to play.

Fantasy action adventure. Start with a Zelda game, 2D or 3D depending on your taste, and then decide what you would prefer to focus on. Zelda games do everything well, but don't really excel at anything. Then you can move on to Dark Souls, Darksiders, The Witcher, Risen, Dragon's Dogma, Ico, etc, depending on what you want your next game to focus on.

Checking those trips though.

I think its from mangahere, don't really remember

i would say Ratchet and Clank. If you are limited for PC only then Lost planet 2

It's easy to get into, has all the functionality of a modern game, the graphics look great to this day and it still has a community.

Doom, obviously

What's wrong with Mangareader? Not like i use it, Mangahere is great.

Nah. Dawn of War Dark Crusade or Total Annihilation. Fuck resource micro management.

Quake Live/Quake 3, whichever one has a more alive community. Actually, that might be a better end-point than start point, it's a bit brutal for a newbie. Unreal Tournament '99 was where I got my start in the genre, so I guess that wouldn't be a bad recommendation.

It's still a part of just about every other RTS out there.
Anyone looking to get into the genre really ought to know what to expect. Except for heroes, those are not so common. Even more so are those that have progression.

What isn't wrong with it?

Do this:
if you are going to be dedicated then start with DMC1 and move to 3 then 4, afterwards play Bayonetta and its sequel then you'll be pretty up to date.

If you aren't patient enough for DMC1 then just start with Bayonetta 1 and 2 or alternatively MGR if you are terrible at them then go to DMC 3/4 and git gud.

I'd add that either AC1 or AC3 are good starting points if you want more humanoid mechs, but still want MW's customization and simulation aspect.
AC4 or ZOE2 if you just wanna go fast and only have legs as a decoration.

The Punisher by Capcom

I came here to say this.

Advanced course is WA2, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears and Shadow Hearts.

Abandon all hope

Don't make me pimp slap you.

God Hand is fantastic but people should get used to that kind of game before jumping into it, otherwise you get this shit

Action-adventure if that's even a real genre anymore. Almost any Zelda game up to and including Twilight Princess is a good starting point.