How come casuals aren't willing to play dark souls with a keyboard and mouse but are perfectly fine with playing...

How come casuals aren't willing to play dark souls with a keyboard and mouse but are perfectly fine with playing shooters with a controller?

Because they are used to it

[Citation Needed]

The dark souls for PC port was considered so bad that the steam page even said to play with a controller.
Casuals play every shooter on consoles with a controller.

sould games are objectively better with controllers.

So, what you are trying to say is, only casuals use controllers? I'm trying really hard to read between the stupid

also, some games are just better with controllers, dark souls being one of them.

At this point the problem is the devs. If they just had the guts to break away from the "left stick = move, right stick = camera, triggers = shoot" control scheme, then we could actually get gamepad shooter controls with accuracy comparable to mouse+keyboard. The devs don't even have to remove the old standard control scheme, just offer the new one as an alternative. The casuals may grumble, but they'll eventually adapt too when they repeatedly get their shit pushed in online by those gamers that switch to the better control scheme.

No user you dumb shit. The question is that why are casuals willing to use a controller even when it is the worse option but not ok with using a keyboard and mouse even when it is the better option?

And what do you think a better control scheme would be?

What exactly is the problem with keyboard and mouse when playing dark souls?

Analog sticks can naturally behave as both self-centering levers (obviously) and spinner wheels (by analyzing the change in tangent value of the X-Y displacement over time when the magnitude exceeds the stick's "dead zone"). The spinner method allows for perfect camera yaw control to be mapped onto one of the analog sticks, providing accurate horizontal aiming and instant turning.
The X-axis of the other stick can perform left-right strafing functions via the standard horizontal lever action. The Y-axis displacement can be mapped directly to camera pitch control, providing accurate vertical aiming, as well as automatic self-centering to eye level when released.
One pair of trigger+bumper will control shooting and fire modes, depending on which hand the player wants to shoot with. The other trigger+bumper pair will control walking forward and backward (the bumper can act as a "reverse" shift for the trigger so that analog functionality can be used when walking in either direction, or alternatively can be mapped directly to backward walking if the player doesn't give a shit about analog movement).
Clicking the sticks, pressing the face buttons, and pushing the digital pad can be mapped to whatever secondary actions the player finds convenient such as jumping, crouching, reloading, equipment menus, system menus, non-combat environment interaction, etc.

I guess sneaking/approaching silently, maybe? I personally have no issue

if you can't play shooters with a controller you are objectively terrible at video games

Because keyboard and mouse requires an entirely different and more advanced set of skills and co-ordination. Controllers are easy to use, easy to master, but offer a low skill ceiling. K&M, on the other hand, are harder to learn, but offer a much higher skill ceiling.
tl;dr, because console players don't have the skills to rub their belly and pat their head at the same time

Have you actually TRIED playing Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard?

Souls games require a bit of platforming, which to many people is awkward on Keyboard and Mouse. Imagine playing something like Super Metroid Expert on Keyboard/Mouse. No one is going to do it because people find it to be more precise with a controller rather than K+M.

Can't play anything with gamepad. I just find it hard to use sticks in general and while it's okay for me to use d-pad for movement, controlling camera with the stick instead of the mouse is impossible for me. Completed Dark Souls and Metal Gear Rising multiple times with m+kb. The only game I can more or less play comfortably with gamepad is DMC 3/4, cause you don't need to control camera that much since battle system is based on lock-on.

Analog sticks are better at movement while the mouse is better at aim.
Dark souls combat is more movement based than based on aim.

Yes. It is playable but harder. Even when you do get used to it the camera controls with the mouse are badly designed and the movement isn't as good.
Still better than playing a shooter with a controller in my opinion though.

checked. That's strange, I found jumping in Dark Souls pretty intuitive, unlike Dark Souls 2.

Don't you ever think to yourself that some people find playing with a mouse and keyboard on certain games sucks. Same shit can be said about driving games by throwing out the question why isn't eveyone using a driving wheel or why do people play on a plastic guitar rather than a real guitar.

This thread is pathetic, see most of the peeps here are trying to justify stroking their ego's.

Yeah. Like fighting games or platformers. But there is no justification for using a controller for an FPS. It isn't an opinion it is a fact that the controller is worse in that regard.

Because Souls games and today's FPSes are both designed for a controller.

Because From Software's PC port was lazy, and they fucked it up. The camera control was garbage, the customization options were laughable, and the double clicking option meant that all single click actions were on a delay. It was completely unplayable, but it could have been done if they weren't such lazy cunts about it.

better ergonomics. now kys

source on video?

For darksouls the keyboard is more than plenty enough, specially considering how clumsy movement is.
Also, that webm is wrong about changing directions, keys are objectively faster for changing directions. Analogue stick gives you better control over acceleration and better directional control when it comes to moving in diagonal (which is very important for platforms, not so much for everything else).

I think some things do favor a controller.
As an RPG example, Dragons Dogma has modifier buttons that you hold down to commit other actions which IMO works better than the M+KB controls. However, I played DD with a Dualshock4 using DS4windows & had it set up to use the gyro as a mouse input when resting my thumb on the touch pad. This allowed me to do finer aiming by tilting the controller around (like Splatoon). I wish more games would aim this way because it makes a controller much better to aim with. Many PC games are incapable of switching seamlessly between dinput/xinput & M+KB during gameplay so I'm surprised that setup was possible for DD.

Fuck, console faggots are pathetic.

Okay :)

I like the fact that being smart with your positioning means you're at an advantage.
Running and gunning shouldn't be a thing in every shooter.

Have you niggers never played a platformer? The controller is objectively better at movement because you can control your speed and direction better.
Even the webm was more above skillful aim than leg movement.

That is the appeal of counter strike. But COD takes it too far where the player doesn't even have to aim, just camp and get lucky. Especially with random spreed bullshit if you aren't aiming down sights.

Keyboard +mouse is good at that, but realistic movements analog sticks are better

ok then, video related.

what the fuck are you even talking about?

shit, the first quote was supposed to be directed at

CoD is a shit shooter anyway and I haven't found camping to be any more efficient than running around. Sometimes less since if you stay in the same place alot they can grenade you and force you to move or they'll prefire around the corner.

This meme of ironsights = camping gets thrown around a lot yet most people who play don't camp, and most people on the leaderboards don't camp either.

The advantage the controller has is that you can decide how fast you want to go.
On a keyboard you can either press a button or not press a button which either means walking is "on" or "off". You can sort of mess with that a bit with a crouch or walk/sprint button but that still isn't the same.
That is what means.
Also a good analog stick lets you go in more than just 8 directions.

I'm sorry, but there are so few situations where you need more than two speeds of movement that it's completely irrelevant. Now there IS the problem of moving at diagonal angles, but with mouse-controlled camera, that's a complete non-issue. The only reason there is to justify a joystick is for super-high precision stuff like driving and flying games (and a mouse can be used for some types of flying games, though forget about driving) and platformers with a fixed camera, which are generally shit anyway.

I don't think that's entirely self-evident. The twin stick movement+camera control scheme has been so ubiquitous for so long that It's not suprising everyone here considers it second nature.
However, if you give such a game to someone who has never played one before, they will struggle, I've seen it multiple times. You'll be lucky if they can move at the same time as other actions, let alone handling the camera too.rs it second nature.
However, if you give such a game to someone who has never played one before, they will struggle, I've seen it multiple times. You'll be lucky if they can move at the same time as other actions, let alone handling the camera too.

the analog is far better at jumping from one platform to the other because you generally don't have to go full or minimum speed when jumping.

in games like that you tend to work on momentum instead of stop-go movement anyway, so the point is moot

Playing anything that's third person, specially an adventure game with keyboard is a sin. Still I agree about the shooters. They should always be m&kb

the problem with this argument is the first person shooter genre is genuinely terrible.

this kind of proves the point that the analog stick is a better method for control.

wew

He is saying a game where you don't get to move in mid air, just momentum to determine where you land. Movement sensitivity is more important while jumping and trying to land in a specific spot.
That's retarded though, no good platform is only driven by inertia, you always have mid-air control, that adds to the skill cap, specially since physics aren't all that consistent in games and can't be the only factor determining trajectory.
I do agree that stick is better for platformer, but pretty much everything else is better with keyboard or about as bad as controller.

Do you suck dicks?

I did, since I didn't have a pad. It sucked, I gave up pretty quickly.

only if there's no analog, pressure sensitive, gyro, movement. Pointer and digital only, and even then, a rocker like what is present in pretty much every d-pad makes digital movement along cardinal and ordinal directions better.

keyboard and mouse is only good for two genres, pretty much. One of which is pretty much dead and the other which is historically pretty shit.

These people keep going on about how their controls are better, but I've been wondering. Can't you beat them just by circlestrafing a bit?

You're a fucking casual, the game can be played with Kb+M, all you REALLY need in terms of movement is dodging to the side, everything else comes down to spacing and knowing when to attack, the game is rather simple as it is, having more options for directional movement or better control over speed won't make a fucking difference.
As I mentioned before, there is sneaking (you can approach slowly to some enemies without being detected until it's too late), but that's not a relevant element in the game.

You sucked because you're bad at playing a rather easy game.

WSAD gives you eight directions and using shift to slow movement is just as effective for character movement as a joystick.

I never worry about what methods I play a game, only if the game is good. Sorry you suck at gaming and cant use a mouse n keyboard.

This is the argument a 12-year-old would make. The argument a consolefag would make about why he thinks playing FPSes with controllers is better. Seriously kill yourself if you're an adult. Actually do it either way, natural selection is wonderful.

So does a d-pad. You're using most of your left hand to do what a single thumb would do better.

Requires 4 whole fingers and analog/stick lets you control how far in one direction you want to go.

Fuck off casual.Do you also play shooters with a controller?

But you can use your five fingers to press buttons, something you can't do with a controller.

Controllers are good for what? games that require full control over movement speed like MGSV, platformers and that's it. Racing games are slightly better, but still far from ideal. For fighting games it is subpar, the majority have shit d-pad anyway, so not even at that they are good.

That is only good for games that require a lot of inputs like RPGs, FPS or RTS.
A platformer really only needs direction and jump.
Also a controller lets you walk while pressing important buttons without having to take your thumb off the stick.

false dichotomy

keyboards have over 100 buttons to memorize the positions of. Casuals can have problems with the 12 + hat switch/dpad on a standard controller

Oh and considering people have won at huge fighting game tournies with controllers they are pretty good at fighten games.

And that's relevant on games that demand precise control on movement speed (like MGSV) and platformers. Nowhere else.
Most games can make a do with just walking and running and you can have that by simply tapping/holding shift, hell you can have a key to toggle walking to running and leave shift to alternate without changing the default movement mode. That's plenty enough for 99% of the games and it's even better for games that have extended areas that demand walking, just tap one key and keep the directional button (WASD/ESDF) to reach the maximum safe speed.

TOP FUCKING HEH!
What century are we talking about here?

see
Evo 2014 Street fighter 4.
He won using a ps1 controller.

Oh and.
Also Fast hack and slash games like bayonetta and DMC..
No one is saying controllers are better at everything but there are specific genres it excels at and the gamer who plays a diverse library should use the correct control scheme for the correct game.

How?
Explain how is it better? Where do you need move slowly while trying to keep up the style gauge? Do you need more than eight directions?

you usually use different controllers based on the system you're playing on and what kind of game you're playing. keyboards and mice, apart from a few details in how some are built (mechanical, rubber, laser, optical, etc.) are all generally the same. I'd use my saturn pads (3d or model 2) for pretty much every 2D game, fighting, racing, platformer, etc.

-t. never played a fast action game

-t. not an argument

play them and see why for yourself.

i got das1 for 360 last year for Christmas and have been enjoying enough to consider buying it for PC along with a controller…

I never emulated a Bayonetta game, but went through all DMC games on PC on DMD difficulty (haven't played the last HD/re-release/whatever edition).
Keep trying though, this time with arguments. See here and answer those questions.

More free fingers to input attacks.
It would be nearly impossible to do a complicated combo while having to move your fingers from WASD to put in inputs while at the same time having to go certain directions unless you only have attacks on left and right click and even then it wouldn't work exactly right.
TRY DMC 4 with a keyboard and mouse.

Again, grasping at straws. If you waste money on a shitty controller, the least you can do is get a good mouse, you can use it for everything.

I remember playing Dragons Dogma a bit on keyboard after my crappy xbox-controller broke down and while the game didnt get any harder in fact it was EASIER with a kb+mouse it was jarring to look at because instead of my character moving especially turning smoothly she was doing these instant 45-or 90degree turns which didnt happen when playing with controller.

Yes. Softlock systems like those in Bayonetta and DMC benefit greatly from being able to aim precisely in a full 360 degree circle around the character.

Even if you did pressing all 5 buttons for action would be fucking annoying. Imagine having to quickly tap those in quick succession.

Keyboard alone is good enough.

There's also that dude who plays fighting games with his face. It's not exactly much of a benchmark.

Imaging what? I already did that, you have 3 fucking fingers to press any of those buttons without even coming close to stretching or doing claw-grip or anything like that. Have you ever held a 5 button mouse? I won't even asked if you played a game with one because it is quite obvious that you haven't, but seen and held one at the very least?
Jesus christ, you're retarded.

There's also the matter of ergonomics to think about. Holding shift or ctrl for hours does ungodly things to your finger joints, and so does holding down a mouse button with serious pressure. Not to mention the rigid wrist position.

The Wiimote+nunchuck had the best ergonomics of all controllers I've ever tried, but I somehow feel we'll never see that design again.

The question you just asked is really fucking stupid. You seem to act as if using the same lesser input methods in both cases is preferable because they are lesser input methods but the controller is just easier to pick up and use for most people in both cases.

Don't post here again.

These people call games with more cutscene than gameplay, GOTYs.

And you're wondering why they're ok with the games also aiming for them? Are you retarded? Why even ask this question?

In the original Devil May Cry games, the default controls for keyboard are as follows:

Left hand:
WASD
QE

Right Hand:
IJKL

The left hand control is standard like in many first person games- e.g 1234 would be the guns in an FPS and QE would be leaning. The right hand would be particularly unusual. Equivalently for left hand control you have the d-pad and the analog stick, which playing as Dante you would need to lift from the analog stick to the d-pad to switch styles. A keyboard player would be capable of switching styles without the compromise for movement, nor any kind of lifting movement to begin with for that function.

Additionally playing as Nero, he can potentially charge his gun, hold an enemy while jumping and swinging his sword easy on a keyboard. Thats because there's 3 fingers on IJKL, meanwhile the buttons XYAB (or triangle, square, cross, circle) are intentionally for one thumb.

The issue keyboard players would have are camera controls, which are usually rebound to RF/ZX, and the odd situation where the game would only accept a diagonal input for a move, which the situations where one direction is needed is more common than one would expect.

notice how annoying it is for him to move the camera? That video actually proves my point

I played Dark Souls on PC entirely with the keyboard - not even mouse - once. It was surprisingly decent.

I feel sorry for your mouse and your fingers if you are treating them like you would the face of a controller. RM and LM generally aren't durable enough for that kind of shit.
Also any decent DMC type game requires at least 4 buttons so that means you would have to awkwardly switch between 1 button or the other with your thumb on the mouse

He does a complicated combo with a keyboard in that video, then its not impossible to do a complicated combo with a keyboard.

Rebind-able keys are standard (still even the worst PC port being DMC3 has them), and usually the camera control is on RF/ZX.

The original Devil May Cry games didn't support a keyboard.

It's not impossible to play an FPS with a controller. That doesn't make it a better choice.

He did but it was clearly more difficult.
He literally had to move his hand in order to quickly position the camera correctly mid combo.

He could've meant the reboot DMC. DMC1 wasn't on PC to begin with, but DMC3 and 4 can be played with a keyboard.

Then here:

A keyboard has its own advantages, but arguable trade offs.

On the scenario of peripheral durability, it really depends. A lot of my friends replace their controllers once a year by playing these games, but my keyboard has not been replaced since I got it ~6 years ago.

My 7 years-old mouse would like to disagree with you. Get better shit user.
Also, you have two buttons with your thumb at almost the exact same distance and three buttons on the face of the mouse, one for the index, one for the middle finger and the one on the middle to share.

I've had my controllers for 8 years and they work perfectly fine

It depends on what you're doing with them. If you play these kinds of games at an average level, they're not under any danger of getting worn out. I play Bayonetta with a 360 controller (there's more holding a button down than tapping), and it won't break any time soon.

The main reason to play dark souls with a controller is because the m+kb controls are shit and always need at least 10 minutes of tinkering to even become bearable. If they weren't retarded and actually made a competent keyboard control scheme the game would improve dramatically. The main issue are the button combinations and the input lag. For some reason they decided that putting double clicks into the controls will be a good idea. It in fact is a terrible idea as it introduces terrible input lag, and the worst part is that the mouse controls cannot be rebinded to fix this, forcing the player to actually bind the attack buttons to the keyboard to get rid of the input lag that is caused by the game waiting for you to double click.

donkey kong
castlevania I

Never played modern DK, the old one had no mid-air control? I don't remember that at all
You're right on Castelvania, but it wasn't really a great platformer.

What do you mean by that?
The only thing analog sticks can do is different speeds and in case of dark souls variable speed is pointless in combat as you'll either by jogging or doing a full sprint which requires a modifier button anyway.

I mean, the original Donkey Kong, the arcade/NES game, had no air control.

DKC did, though, if i recall correctly.

I thought you meant the Super Nintendo games. You can play that one with a modern keyboard just fine, way better than with an old joystick (traditional joystick).

Hahahahahahahahahaha, all these little kiddie console faggots triggered. Go suck ur moms tits and step dads dick you class A fucking loser.

because thei are casulas?

Also
Just leave already, just cause some anons are GOOD AT FUCKING PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, no matter what form doesn't mean you need to sit in a corner and scream fucking CASUAL HAHA THAT ISNT THE WAY THE GAME IS SUPPOSE TO BE PLAYED!

Case in point.
Shut the fuck up, get off this board and go back to cuckchan reddit or whatever shit hole you crawled out off.

NIGGER FAGGOT

No you stupid casual. One of the greatest thing about the PC is that you can use many different control devices. Please go back to half chan.

user why are you so mad?
Also that video shows why playing DMC with a keyboard is so shit.

Do you really not see how using the middle mouse scroll wheel as a button in fast action games would be uncomfortably?

At most, it show that the game has poor M+Kb support that makes Kb slightly worse than controller while still having some advantages over it (mainly, being able to use more fingers for simultaneous input).
Just a small trade-off on a subgenre. That's all.

Fuck ur mom faggot, why the fuck would u want to use anything besides a keyboard and mouse/ fighting stick. Get the fuck outta here.

Cause ur mom is a faggot.

Because I play more than just FPS and fighting games.

It really isn't, but let's say it is: You still have four buttons that you could press simultaneously with your right hand and the whole left hand available to press more buttons than you could wish for and at the very least 3 without losing instant access to giving directional input. Stop being wrong already.

You are really clinging onto the fact the guy left the camera controls on the arrow keys when its perfectly doable to rebind those camera controls to something more reasonable like RF/ZX.

To reposition the camera, he moved his left hand to the arrow keys (when DMC4 Dante doesn't have directional inputs in the air context) and kept his combo up while pressing face button equivalents. Meanwhile on a controller the thumb would be moving from the face buttons to the analog stick.

moves that require directional inputs* (i.e the lock+direction)

Sure thing, kid.
I still love the original Snes controller for 2d platformers

I played DaS1 with mouse and keyboard (with DSMFix obviously) after using a controller and dying for the trillionth time to Taurus Demon, and I did WAY better. It's just a matter of gitting gud question of what you're used to. I suck at fighting games though because I'm too used to kb&m.

That is only if you don't want to move. You can't move and press a button without taking your hand off of the keyboard. The only exception to this is with the thumb but that generally only presses space for jump.

You can easily have your ring and middle finger on WASD while the pointer finger presses 3, 4, 5, e, r, f, c.

I find KBM tiring for twitch-based gameplay, so I prefer using a controller regardless of the platform. WASD is literal hand cancer waiting to happen and I can't stand that longer than 20 minutes at once. Mouse was never meant to be a realtime input device either. KBM is fine for Point & Click though, like turn-based games.

FPS is still clunky with controller, but that is an inherently flawed genre for having no proper native control method and I simply avoid FPS for that reason now.

That's not an excuse, user. You can play just fine on a keyboard.

Hitbox controllers are a thing for a reason, user.

I play a lot of third person games with M+KB, perfect camera angles and the ability to immediately change my attack direction from front to behind is just too good to pass up. Far more accurate than a controller could ever be in my opinion.

Don't really use a controller for anything else other than fighting games beyond that. Sometimes if I'm really fucking lazy I'll use the controller to play MTG..so there are exceptions..

To answer the original question, I think it has to do with the fact that they are casuals, and as casuals, they're looking to have fun rather than maximize efficiency.

The saying that comes to my mind is "just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should". You can potentially play Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard, and doing so may even make the game easier, but the game wasn't designed with such controls in mind.

Consider a typical arcade light gun game (such as Time Crisis). Playing with the lightgun is fun and provides a decent challenge, but switch over to a mouse and you'll find such games trivially easy and boring. Another example is with Perfect Dark, whose challenge and gameplay were designed around the rather unwieldy N64 controller scheme. The re-release of the game felt lackluster because better controllers and better control schemes allowed the player to control better and trivialize some of the difficulty.

Consider the reason that aimbots are outright banned in competitive fps games and not just incorporated into the game itself (after all, an aim bot assisted mouse and keyboard is a more effective way to control and aim over a non-assisted mouse and keyboard, just like how mouse and keyboard is a more effective way to aim over a controller). The simple reason is that, if aimbots were incorporated into the game, aiming would be much more trivial and less challenging/fun and would leave the game much more shallower.

In summary, one could say that the benefits of an alternative control scheme that the game was not designed for can remove some of the fun and difficulty of games, and why would a casual want to make the game less fun for themselves.

Which keyboard layout is best for gaming?
QWERTY? Dvorak? Azerty? Colemak?

Whatever you feel comfortable with.

That is a lot more annoying even for someone who has larger than average hands. It means I have to stretch my finger out mid action and create a whole new finger group just to do this.
It is extremely uncomfy and when you are doing fast paced games you need to have your hands in a good spot.

Even though "only one thumb" is needed, you won't find a lot of use for the other fingers except on trigger buttons which are situational, and WSAD also gives you shift/ctrl and the space bar. All you're really getting is the finer options of a control stick (which is admittedly huge for certain game genres).

Related to that, fighting games require a proper arcade stick, keyboard is pretty bad and D-pads are plain terrible. Actually D-pads offer no advantage over keyboard input.

Also A/B/X/Y type button layouts overload the thumb depending on the controls of the game. In Super Metroid I much prefer a keyboard because trying to hold run while pressing jump and/or shoot is a right pain-in-the-ass.

I thought DMC4 was played with keyboard-only but it has been a very long time, and I only played the demo.

If you can remap controls it's largely irrelevant because the actual button positions remain. But otherwise QWERTY.

When playing Jedi Academy I used EDSF instead of WASD, because all buttons around it were used for different force powers. W for pull, R for push, Z for lightning, etc. Much simpler than accessing the selection menu.

Why don't you drop the facade, become a trap and make living out of being a "gamer grill"? It's not as If you weren't a casual already and your hands are probably not meant for vĂ­deo games.

I like my fucking analog sticks m8.

Left analog stick is 360 degrees of movement relative to a fixed camera, a keyboard is 8 degrees. The most optimum control method would be left analog stick for movement and mouse for camera control.

ITT casuals who can't wrap their head around the superior keyboard controls.
I beat DS twice, never used a controller ,used DSfix tho . Eat shit you incompetent shitstains.
I really wish people would stop pretending DS is hard.

7/10 made me laugh

Wait, how is this a difficult question?
They want to play everything on a controller, what exactly is difficult to understand here?

So it's strategy? I like that. I like that a lot because then it's the smartest player who wins and not the fastest.

for me it's the fact that you always attack in the direction you're facing rather than where the camera is pointing at.

Keep in mind that when DS was a new thing, people played it trying to avoid dying and with that mindset, all the deaths made the game seem harder in their minds than it really was. Now dying in DS is a meme and you have no expectation to play without dying, at least, not on your first playthrough.

You truly are the meme generation

Someone needs to check those for the sake of memes.

fucking dropped

Do you not?

user, I am 6 ft and have hands bigger than most. If having to switch finger positions mid combo is annoying for me then it would be more annoying for others.

You serious nigga.
Do you really think memorizing camp locations takes smarts?

Maybe you have osteoarthritis or some shit like that, get those hands checked.
What's worse, 6ft tall would make for one shitty trap, so you're not even good for that.

A lot of console retards believe games that demand high dexterity are for dumb people by default. It's also a way to fool themselves into thinking they are not dumb for not being able to handle a proper arena shooter.

Are you really so poor you can't buy a cheap controller?

this.

In 2002 I had never before played an FPS that wasn't Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Counterstrike or Goldeneye, and I had to learn how to use the sticks to control Master Chief, and god damn was that frustrating and error prone.

Mouse + KB is really simple, you click the thing you want to kill and use WASD to move. if WASD isn't getting you to look where you want to look you just move the mouse.

With the sticks you have to move your character to adjust your horizontal aim efficiently, so you're always moving back and forth in mid firefight to keep up with your moving target and opponents can exploit this wobble pattern too. It's a different beast entirely.

Now I'm really good at console FPS and really shit on PC. Controllers give me less wrist strain and I have come to prefer them because carpal tunnel is a thing.

I never understood this meme. M+KB feels fucking amazing and is much easier in general. It must be steam users pushing this line of thought, since a lot of them are console immigrants.
t. 5 playthroughs with M+KB

Same. I understand the pc controls were not explained but you just had to play with the keyboard a bit to figure them out. I never understood why everyone absolutely hated m+kb

Who knows user, it's not like people have preferences or are used to different control schemes or anything.

I just prefer a controller for Dark Souls. I wasn't/am not a fan of the keybinds. I use KB+M for literally everything else.

Why? Because you couldn't control yourself midair? Why is that "being a good platformer"? That's a rather close minded viewpoint, that good platformers cheat physics so babbies can land their jumps.

If you're not using Dualshock or KB for DMC you're doing it way fucking wrong.

Yes faggot, my left hand goes on the wasd, like anyone does for a shooter, like anyone does for any game with movement

>my left hand goes on the wasd, like anyone does for a shooter
haha

You don't know what that word means, do you? Basically every game I played recently has found a regular use not just for the left trigger but also the bumper. Nothing's keeping designers from putting even more buttons on the bottom either. Obviously.

Oh, maybe you meant the pressure sensitivity thing? Something a keyboard can't even pretend to have?

this is some nice dubs and top tier bait but I honestly don't know what you are implying besides my obviously superior tfgh setup that I began for EYE divine cybermancy

Pressure-sensitive triggers have very few actual uses and the larger button travel means they're absolute trash for most actions. Regular shoulder buttons are in a bad spot to press repeatedly, so yes they are situational.

As for putting more buttons on the back, yeah you could do that, but the last 2 fingers are awkward to press with.