Post games where you're expected to get your shit fucked

Post games where you're expected to get your shit fucked.

I'm not talking about trial and error shit like IWBTG.

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is
torrentproject.se/d6e3ff567d40b577a24f8afdd154ede468986bd0/Adom-r69-rar-torrent.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sonicsouls.webm

Any rougelike?
FTL, Darkest Dungeon, Risk of Rain & Binding of Issac: Rebirth are recent examples I guess.

I guess XCOM games fits into what you're after.
Also as a joke option I think The Stanley Parable is a game where you're expected to get your 'shit fucked'.

Don't Starve certainly fucks you up before you learn better

There's also pretty much every game on >>>/hgg/
As with most H games the only way to get sex scenes is to lose

first time i played it it was so devoid of challenge that i got bored and stopped playing 20 hours in without ever getting near death.

This is literally impossible, unless you autistically read everything on the game's wikipedia and watched a few play throughs before ever playing it.

You wanna know how I know you're lying?

Etrian Odyssey.

MonHun. You get your shit fucked until you git gud. Rinse and repeat for every large monster.

Furi
CAVE SHMUPs
Any FPS with a high skill ceiling

yeah its a pretty skill devoid genre. play twinkle star sprites or something

Here are some rouge-likes you nigerian immigrants.

AI War. Beating the AIs on the highest difficulty is considered a bug and is to be reported like one.

hells finest, reporting in

i remember a friend of mine did it. if i remember correctly it involved spire jump ships and starships, as well as a dozen other settings tweaked to favor the player.

WEW LAD

Any MP game is as hard as your opponent, but were Doom or Quake hard in SP? Has any FPS ever been hard in SP in its default difficulty?

Even my sister's played Doom.

Salt and Sanctuary is bretty gud. The character designs are kinda terrible, and some of the boss battles are bullshit, but it's mostly an alright game. The Mad Alchemist is fucking bullshit.

Mad Alchemist spams those blob monsters that jump on you and cause toxic damage, so unless you have a weapon that can dispatch them in a single swing, it's going to be a pain in the ass to maneuver around them while looking for an opportunity to attack the boss. I died to this fucker 30 times just because he kept spamming those blobs. They jump on you and attach themselves to you. You have to mash the attack button to get them off, but by the time you've freed yourself, you'll have already gotten poisoned. You can't stun them, so they'll jump on you even if you're in the middle of attacking them. Meanwhile, the boss will spam other attacks, like bolts of lightning that span the entire arena, fireballs that fly towards you, and blades of dark energy that spout from some ethereal portal in the ground. The projectiles are easy enough to avoid, but when you've got those blobs chasing you around and trying to jump on you, you have limited mobility, which makes avoiding the projectiles unreasonably difficult. In short, fuck this boss.

You mean high skill floor? High skill ceiling only applies if you're playing with someone that's much better than you at the game, whereas a high skill floor pretty much guarantees that you're gonna get fucked up your first time playing.

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin on Professional, at least if aiming for stealthy completion.
Kingpin: Life of Crime on Real. You just die way too fast and the enemies seem to almost never miss.
Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business (not regular 2) on Iron Man mode. There is just way too many enemies and you have shit weapons at the beginning of the game (getting better ones requires taking it from enemies, and the good ones don't always appear early). You're also pretty much stuck with your starting mercenaries. The game is pretty terrible though, regardless of the difficulty. Regular 2 is easier but better.

its my understanding that a higher skill floor means a smoother experience for newer players. i believe youre thinking of a lower skill floor.
in metaphorical imagery the height of the floor is how bad you can fuck up, how low you can potentially sink because you cant go lower than this floor.

What makes you think I was talking about singleplayer you massive cunt?

I've heard the opposite.

As the other user said, multiplayer games are only as hard as the other players.
name a game where the game itself is difficult.

You mean lower skill floor. Think of "skill" as a box with a ladder inside. The top of the box, the highest point, represents the skill ceiling. The higher this is, the harder it will be to master the skills needed to play the game exceptionally well (i.e. you will have to climb for longer). The skill floor, the lowest point, represents the baseline amount of skill that anyone needs if they wish to play the game. You, as the player, are not in the box. You are below the box, and it is your objective to at least climb your way to the skill floor. The lower the floor, the easier it will be for you to acquire the skills needed to play on a basic level. The higher the skill floor, the harder it will be for you to be somewhat competent at the game. Do you understand?

SOULS LIKE
O
U
L
S

L
I
K
E

SOULS LIKE

here play this

yeah that did a good job explaining it. so what would "how bad you can fuck up" aspect be? the skill basement?

Beat the Plutonia Experiment or Shadow Warrior and get back to me.

Beat Ys Origin on Nightmare and get back to me.

these are joke games, go hop on fightcade and play twinkle star sprites you pussy

I'm at an entirely different fucking level, buddy

Shoulda' guessed. Most beat em ups from back in the day are harder than this shit, but you recommending a game doesn't negate the fact that I listed some fps games that would more than likely give you some trouble.

doom and shadow warrior are not hard. shadow warriors most difficult trait is its tedious level design. plutonia and sw are also pretty bad games. Don't bring region into it, it's a losing fight when you're defending western games.

to be fair there arent a lot of cowboy games out there to defend.

Magicka
Left 4 Dead on the highest difficulty

What did he mean by this?

sunset riders > red dead redemption

Bet you gave up on the Bats

dark souls

I only palyed and beat four Ys games. 1&2 chronicles, Origins, and Memories of Celceta, all on the hardest difficulty.

What the fuck are you talking about you damned autist?

My nigga.

Your starting point. Everyone who has ever and who ever will play "Game That Requires Skill: The Game" will start off with zero experience. This is the worst possible place you can be. You start at the bottom and work your way up. Ever play a multiplayer game with someone who knows absolutely nothing about the game? They fuck up pretty frequently, and they fuck up sometimes without knowing why. It's not because they're stupid or incapable of playing right, it's simply because they don't know how to play. If you're familiar with a game and you play like shit, then you're at fault and should stop to consider why you're sucking so much ass. If you ask me, it's all about attitude. Your position on the ladder doesn't matter. What matters is your drive to excellence. If you are highly competitive and you want to reach the top, then great. Conversely, if you want to reach top without putting forth any effort, then you're a shit and should fucking kill yourself, but I'm starting to digress.

teach me your ways, senpai.

i mean to ask what would be the term to describe the opposite of skill ceiling?

skill floor, where the worst you can be is.

Don't starve as user said is so fucking boring. I actually just tried it out again after 4 years this week, and quit after 20 minutes. I have no idea what people see in that game, or why I played more than a few hours last time.

Cards on the table user, is ADOM actually fun/worth the money? I've been playing DCSS 0.18 for quite a while now and would like to try something new. (Nevermind that I'm shit and never completed a run).

The skill floor implies that you have a basic understanding of how the game works and you can play at a beginner level. Conversely, the skill ceiling is Mt. Olympus, where the Gods converge and clash in heated battle. Therefore, the skill floor is already in opposition to the skill ceiling. However, you have to consider that new players don't start at the skill floor, so if you are absolutely new and you have no knowledge of the game whatsoever, then you haven't even reached the skill floor, and that implies that you're somewhere below it.

The worst possible place you can be is a complete beginner. I don't think there's a name for this aside from the term "complete beginner". The second worst place you can be is the skill floor.

Most games that come out today are similar enough that avid game enthusiasts will most likely start at a new game's skill floor. If you've played Street Fighter, you'll be able to pick up Tekken or Mortal Kombat easily enough. You'll understand the fundamental concepts of a fighting game, things like throws and blocking and parrying and high, mid, and low attacks, etc. However, Tekken is likely going to have its own set of rules that you'll need to learn that make it different from a game you're already familiar with. Get what I'm saying?

IS THAT A HUGE ANUS?!

ewwwww

thats what i would think, but if im wrong then im wrong. we have to agree on something to be able to communicate.

in path of exile theres a huge anus blocking the sewers that you gotta burn down. check it out

There is a lot less trial and error in there once you come to expect horrible cheapness.
There was something strangely satisfying about sidestepping horrible death on the first attempt.

It even spews shit

Incredibly difficult FPSes are possible, they just aren't popular since there isn't much overlap between people who want to be a one man army and people who want a realistic shooter.

Hey user can how bout giving me a torrent of that for christmas!

Check /hgg/, they have a thread up on it and there should be links for all of the succubus games.

check the volafile room from the share thread

Ah, great argument here.
This just pretty much tells me that you've more than likely not played much of the game. Shadow Warrior's levels are pretty short. The only reason they might take longer is because, get this, the enemies will kill you (quite quickly) if don't play right.
I guess I'm just supposed to just take your word for it.
Could you project any harder here? I never said I didn't like jap games, you fucking moron. In fact, I implied that I enjoyed old school Beat em' Ups. This is funny, though, that you accuse me of disliking games based on region when (judging by your ignorant comment on Shadow Warrior's levels) you almost certainly dislike fps games because they are mainly a western phenomenon. Project harder.

Also know as RNG: The shooter. Why do people like this low effort garbage?

150 deaths on that part. Climbing up that tower was pure hell. Then at the final stretch you have to go past tanks shooting at you in a tiny hallway. Then I died to the boss 60 times. But at least it's not the Chefbot from the first game.

How could you consider the Chefbot the worst part of that game after the final boss?

Then there's Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Normal mode is JP hard mode, and nearly on the level of Lunatic in Fates. Hard mode is just plain brutal. You will spend most of your time not fighting, but preparing your units in the base with the proper equipment, skills, sharing bonus EXP, and seeing who they should be paired with. Fuck all Dawn Brigade stages. Especially the ones after part 1.

Because the final boss was at least entertaining to fight. The chefbot was boring but would win due to large health pool and only 3 minutes to fight him. I decided to stop playing fair and vibrated my finger to do insane amounts of damage when he was stunned. Bosses I hate get the finger vibrations for an easy insti-kill. Like that second duel magic knight boss fight or the 2 wraiths in the second game.

Have you tried real life user? It's not a game but it is ridiculously unbalanced and nobody has ever beaten it without dying

Doesn't come with great mod support though. Pay2win out the arse.

the community balance patch sucks diiiick

I heard of a guy who played that so much that he died.

i pirated natural doctrine and i cant remember which mode i played it on.

the game has a secret that makes it unbelievably easier, and that is Geoff can use Guns too

once you equip a gun on Geoff you can easily kill things one at a time from a distance, safely, by shooting with both geoff and Anka and putting Zeke in the square in front of them as a defensive line, once you know this you can "grind" by revisiting some of the starter dungeons to get a few extra levels, extra levels REALLY make a difference in this game, like they give you extra potion uses and new OP skills.

but the game never tells you that, its up to you to try to equip a weapon on geoff in the main screen and realize that guns are available, and then press the right button to switch weapons mid-battle,

also pink girl dies, but if you play NG+ she only gets captured and you save her at the end of the game

the special boss of the game that skeleton fuckwizard is pretty tough, but nothing impossible with a simple, very basic strategy lock him into a corner with Zeke in one side, and the loli's golem in the other

Dying is part of the game. You just need to satisfy yourself enough before you go onto new game +.

Things did become much more easy once I found that out. I went with hard mode first playthrough and the game banged my head against a wall until I truly understood how the game worked.

Are you trying to suggest that those games aren't games where you're expected to have your shit fucked?
It's not like I'm implying they're good games, they just fit the criteria of fucking the player either in difficulty or as in the case of The Stanley Parable in how the game functions as it's constantly attempting to fuck with the player.

Next you'll be saying, "they're rouge-lites" as if rouge-lite means something different from rougelike.

so a red game?

Could you please learn to spell, motherfucker? None of the games you listed are roguelike either

fps games are popular all over the world, you don't seem to know very much about video games and think entry level pc shit like shadow warrior is worth a damn. it's not. Get some taste.

True, Call of Duty seems to be big over in nipland.
Another instance where I'm just supposed to take your word for it.

Stop being American and learn the Queens English.

you are. I have nothing to prove to an anonymous nobody who's today pitching games I played a decade ago when I was getting into PC gaming. It's not worth the time, the games are shit, they're not a "test of skill" like the OP asks for, they're a joke.

Why do you even give a shit about a game that has largely been ignored by the industry apart from two shitty revisits to the IP that was forgotten as the worst game in a series of build engine FPS games?

Clearly not the case if you're still posting : ^ )

just here to tell you to avoid a garbage genre that has produced pretty much nothing worth anyones time but is desperately clung onto with a handful of games raised above others that are ultimately incredibly mediocre or outright shit

Actually never mind, I'd assumed it was some American bastardisation of English as per usual, like how you guys fucked up Catalogue and Analogue, but it seems like Rouge and Rogue are genuine.

the only thing UK does better than america is getting cucked, can't beat the experts

Some Mount and Blade mods, like A New Dawn(RIP).

Even besides the spelling you have a tenuous grasp on the concept; the games you listed are not roguelikes

How so?
They have permadeath, procedurally generated levels, some are turn based, some are not, they depend on resource management to survive, they involve the slaying of lots and lots of monsters.
The only major differences being that they're not tileset games and there's generally a lack of emergent gameplay.
Yet they have most major elements that other roguelikes do.
If they have differences from rougelikes, that's to be expected, it is like rogue, as in, it is similar to rogue, most of the same elements that made up rogue are still present, albeit in different forms.

What you're doing seems similar to someone nitpicking at the definition of a third person shooter over the position of the camera from the player, as if saying that an over the shoulder camera is not a true third person shooter and that a true third person shooter has a camera that is further back, and higher up to hang in the air because having an over the shoulder camera deviates from what a TPS must be.
Or having the camera switch to first person when you aim down scope isn't a true TPS.
It's autistic as fuck.

a rougelike is something red
a roguelike is a genre of gaming

holy fuck learn english you cunt

kek. Nice rouge though.

There need to be more rougelikes tbh.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is

FTL, Issac, and Risk of Rain aren't even turn based so they're definitely not a Roguelike. All of those games aren't even grid based either besides XCOM but I don't think you were saying that was a Roguelike. When you move in a Roguelike, everyone else does as well. Mystery Dungeon games are the closest thing to a roguelike but a more casual version of them.

Don't turn this into a kemono thread.

You can't tell me what to do. Snow Maiden Eve counts as a rougelike by that definition but that's an eroge and it's not too awful overall, you don't even need to lose to see scenes either.

She's a big bat.

How is that possible?

How is that possible?

I just feel like there's so many factors for it to be a rougelike that it gets a little anal about it, all other genres are loosely defined, but rougelikes have to have at least 8 or 9 different very super specific factors for the game to be in the rougelike genre and it feels like the special snowflake of genres because no other genre has this bullshit.

Unfortunately, you've already proven your word isn't worth much.
Is that why you keep making replies?
The fact that you could type these 1 post apart from each other is hilarious and a testament to what an oblivious moron you are. At first I shouldn't like it because it's entry level shit that everybody and their mom knows, but I'm also supposed to not care about it because nobody cares about it. The only thing consistent about you is your inability to give any form of criticism about the game itself. Oh, and let's not forget this little tidbit either:
Sounds like you're trying to convince an anonymous nobody to me.

And why do I give a shit about the game? Simple, it's not because other people do or don't like it (what appears to be your criteria), but because I enjoy playing the game a lot. In my time playing the game I have found it to be a pretty difficult little exercise. Even with the vats improvements I've made I still find myself having a difficult time. This is in part due to (uh oh, we're actually getting into the game here) the lethal nature of many of the enemies and traps and how the level design complements them both. Many of the enemies posses things such as grenade launchers, rocket launchers, explosive shurikens, copious amounts of hitscan, and one enemy variant is a suicide bomber, and you don't just get to circlestrafe your way out of these situations either, mainly due to the level design. Not positioning yourself right, being too slow on the draw, missing (highly possible due to how fast the enemies are and the fact that some will duck behind cover) can easily lead to you being blown up or losing large portions of your health. You'll have to forgive me, but I have my doubts that you, or a sizable portion of the gaming community, could just breeze through the game with no trouble at all. There's just too many factors you have to get right and too strong of a punishment for getting it wrong for me to believe otherwise.

With the above being my experience, I decided to share it with someone who claimed that there are no difficult fps games, and I'm pretty confident that both games I mentioned would give most people trouble. I guess that was too much for an antisocial d(weeb) such as yourself since it caused you to not care enough to try to convince me the game was shit with multiple replies.

Don't ever buy something you can torrent.

torrentproject.se/d6e3ff567d40b577a24f8afdd154ede468986bd0/Adom-r69-rar-torrent.html

It's because Roguelikes are made to be so diverse that every run feels like a completely different playthrough. That and it's one of the few genres that actually gives its self a solid definition. Ever wonder why you've heard people claim nearly everything is a RPG? Because the definition for RPG is long forgotten by most gamers and take the term literal. Like "You play a role, therefor it's a RPG". When a solid definition is made for RPGs, people then name of a game that loosely fits what an RPG is. Marketers don't even know what makes certain genres what, so they just slap something that barely even fits what the game is.

Someone once told me that Shadows of Mordor was a fighting game. I said "Wait. Have you ever played a fighting game? That's like Street Fighter or Marvel VS Capcom 3". He replied with "You fight people. Therefor it's a fighter.".I fucking wish I was making this up.

I should have said Street Fighter 2. I think the first Street Fighter was a Beat-em-up.

Oh shit, IVAN is on there.

Has it been updated or is it still dead?

Soulsfags are a less funny version of Sonic autists.

With it's definition, roguelike isn't even a genre tbh fam. It is more of a category like WRPG or JRPG, where some non-roguelikes like Toe-Jam&Earl have more in common in terms of mechanics/playstyle with rogue than games like Elona, or Dorf Fort that are considered rogue likes.Also games like NuDCSS get grandfathered in even though they've been dumbed down to the point of being action dungeon crawlers that have next to nothing to do with Rogue.

I picked up EO4 about a year ago and it was easy as fuck after the first hour or so. 0 party wipes and 0 level grinding.

In terms of JRPGs that require a little bit of skill, there's always Ys games I guess.

Any classic dungeon crawler.

It was always a sub-genre of RPGs to begin with. But being similar to rogue has always been the case. Saying that, there are clearly games that are and aren't roguelikes. It's why it's a very small and specific genre.

I don't even know if I would consider WRPG and JRPG a genre instead of just RPG. We've had western and eastern devs borrowing elements from each. Some were calling games like Final Fantasy L(light)RPGs because of the heavy story focus to the point of being on rails the whole time. C(computer)RPG for games like Fallout and Fallout 2. Then we have A(action)RPGs where your skill (not talking about strategy and decision making) actually influences greatly on how well you do like Tales and Star Ocean. I feel those titles have more weight to them since devs get influence from both sides of the ocean all the time. Like South Park playing like Paper Mario. Calling a western made product Japanese sounds silly when RPGs were a western thing in the first place since they were made to emulate a D&D game on consoles/PCs.

He said Etrian Odyssey. Not 4 which you're right about being easy. Saying that, EO1 is stupid broken.

Found it anons, thanks!

user, I'll express myself however the hell I please. Accept it and move on.

Yeah, most older RPGs either require you to build very specific combat-focused characters or be ready to save/load every five seconds. Thankfully, also like other RPGs, Fallout 1 becomes piss easy a few hours in. Just gotta break through.

And yeah, it had an experiment. Copied from the wiki:

Crimson, scarlet, vermillion

I miss this game. Never played any other MMO that had quite the same feeling of actual terror, that "fuck, I have so much to lose". It had such a short shelf life before it was destroyed by bots and an awful community. But man, so much of the core design of the game was fucking perfect. I'd play a new legitimate Lineage 2 clone any day of the fucking week.