Childhood Ruined

List your favorite dead or dying franchises and/or developers when you were growing up

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/mp2U2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

RIP in pieces

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Was Thief developed by westerners or actual Square Enix themselves?

Halo might actually become good again.

4 was a huge step down and MCC's networking was a complete blunder, but 5's MP and forge are both fantastic. Assuming 6's SP is as good as 5's MP, and the MP is just as good, it might actually be one of the top 3 Halo games.

Also all the novels from the past 2-3 years have been good to great.

Worse.

Canadians.

pandemic was probably one of the last companies i remember that when i saw their logo on the loading screen i thought "yep, this is gonna be a good game"
fuck EA man

Like all other AAA publishers, they've got studios everywhere. Thief and Dude Sex were taken up by "Eidos Montreal", a subsidiary of Square Enix Europe that's just Eidos in name that inherited all their properties after the original was dissolved.

F

r u fukken srs cunt
ODST was the last good halo game, the series died after that

my nigga, psone spyro series are some of the most comfy games of all time
also pic related for a series i wish had lived for a while longer

It still hurts

The forge mode actually looks pretty cool, but I dunno. I still don't have a real desire to get an Xbone yet mainly because of the massive filesizes and installs, and I hear after 4 the series goes downhill, which I still haven't tried yet.

DoA goes here not because the newer entries are bad, I'm trying the demo for 5 and it's still fun, but they ruined it with so much DLC and re-releases on the same platform. Got a 3DS for Sticker Star and I can barely look at the system because of how much I fucking hated that game and most of Nintendo's other releases. Mario Party 7 on Wii was so bad and ugly looking, and the minigames just werent as fun as 2's. And RIP Free Radical, died with Haze and apparently they didn't make TS4 because they couldn't decide one character to market.

Fucking kill yourself you right cunt loving queer krautwhore

Reach was alright, but Bungie fucked up the multiplayer real bad with the Loadouts and shit to decent map design.

Halo 5's multiplayer was way better than 4, but philosophy that went into the design of MP is way too different to call it Halo. Why the fuck do we have corridor/laned maps with small open spaces? Why the fuck is everything super competitive? Why the fuck do we have Call of Duty knockoff gameplay?

Isn't that the same place where they're making the DR4?

DR4? You mean Dead Rising 4? That was Vancouver.

Ah

Seems like every countrys got its own California, even Canada

don't bother, i got one as a gift and all the exclusives so far have ranged from average to flat out bad. your better off spending the money on pc upgrades

the main beef i have with 4 is the precursor enemies just aren't fun to fight. they are all bullet spongy as fuck, can teleport all over the place and are generally confusing and frustrating to fight against.
plus some of the map design is truly terrible, on the same level as the library in halo 1 or even worse

Is it bad that I really enjoy NFS Underground 2?

I thought Vancouver was basically Seattle north.

Looks like I dont got to bother. Shame because Phil Spencer seems to be doing some cool stuff.

No. If you enjoy post-2006/2007 Need for Speed, yeah

Honestly, it seems like he's just trying his best to improve Xbox's reputation, but can't because of the current executives or some other shit. I mean, he's willing to fucking go cross-platform with Sony. But then again, he, along with Bonnie Ross and Josh Holmes, might be the one fucking Halo up the ass telling 343 what to do.

I liked visuals in the first one more. The second is a bit cartoonish, also it lost that space frontier theme.

this is a bait thread and you niggers haven't called him out on this. 8ch is dead, on to endchan

this might be weird, bear with me for a moment, but you can still play these games right now and not get hung up on the shitty games that are being made today
shocking right? yeah it's so weird. it's almost like the quality of a video game is not a finite thing that anyone can ruin.

What? Do you want me to list N64 and PS1 games? I barely even remember what games I played. The only ones I distinctly remember are one of those Time Crisis clones, Pro Skater, and a dark as fuck beat-em-up.

What are you, gay?

It's already out, user. Don't worry, I didn't know it came out until a little while after it's release date too.

Minor nitpick, but that's 8 you're talking about. Unless you actually mean 7 which is on Gamecube.

You mean someone else thought it was a good game besides me?

According to your logic I can listen to my favorite song until my ears bleed and never listen to anything else and be happy.

The whole point of having favorites is to hold other things to the expectations you have set from previous milestones. Sure you can get caught up in that milestone but it will never be a "forever" thing. You'll always come back to it for a good grin but you can't dwell on it forever.

People like having more of things they like. A sequel comes out and it's bad, then you don't get more of what you like, and in worse case scenarios kills the series resulting in NEVER EVER. And if it came out when you're a kid then Childhood Ruined (Anyone who isn't underage remembers going to rental store and picking out a turd for the week)

What's even worse is when the sequel does something right. Whether graphics or mechanics it makes going back to the ones you like harder I actually liked the Borderlands 1 but 2 is a pile of shit, but two has auto pickup for bullets and ammo is super nice. Borderlands 1 isn't even in the Update they did, though that's probably for the best since they'd fuck up the balance

Fuck Bamco and Bugbear for this peice of shit and the MMO that crashed and burned before the beta finished. And we'll never get anything again.

i'm willing to bet you haven't even played it.

I really don't think the philosophy is that much different from CE's and 2's. You talk about how the map design is different and there's this focus on competitive 4v4 play, but that's how CE and especially 2 kinda were.

5's map design is almost identical in design priniopals to CE and 2's maps, and they, 2 in particular, had a focus on 4v4 competitive MP as the standard, though obviously they also had larger BTB maps as well. I guess 343 just figured the beefed up forge would be enough for people to make their own shits and giggles modes and larger maps and it'd be better for them to spend 100% of their effort on 4v4 so that at least would be good and it wouldn't be halo 4 2.0

Halo 5 in general reminds me a lot of Halo 2, actually. It's pretty much just an alternate reality version of halo 3, where instead of making the game slower, floatier, and stretching out the maps to be more BTB focused and making the guns less accurate, it instead built upon what Halo 2 was doing and made it even faster, more weighty, and made the guns even more accurate.

And while it does have the CoD AW/Titanfall movement jetpack sutff, that's the only CoD Esque thing it has, and erven that's well implemented. . In all other respects it's closer to traditional halo gameplay then 4 OR Reach.

Just play the free PC port. It has the MP and Forge, just without matchmaking, but there's still custom lobbies and a server browser. It doesn't have the campaign but the campaign isn't worth playing anyways

I never had attachment to a single video game company. As a kid, I simply didn't care about who made that great game, or that shitty game, I just knew them as that great game or that shitty game. Oh sure, I saw company logos on game start, but I felt free to ignore them. This persisted throughout my whole life, and is not limited to vidya - any author, movie director or music artist is only as relevant as their good creations. That made me escape many nasty disappointments in the upcoming years.

What about the maps becoming increasingly lane-based? Halo typically had open and multi-leveled maps with a minimal amount of corridors. Whatever lanes there were in older games were typically open to shoot from "parallel and adjacent" lanes. The maps weren't too big, but they were never completely enclosed like in Halo 5's maps.
I don't ever recall Bungie saying they wanted Halo to be competitive. They gave MLG an avenue to play, but never gave them full reign of multiplayer. If you could give me a link, that shows Halo was supposed to be competitive, that'd be great.

Well, the primary thing that reminds me of CE and 2's maps in 5's is the sense of vertacality. CE and 2 maps were highly vertiical in nature, not only having multiple floors but also a lot of unorthodox movement and interplay between floors. 3, Reach, and 4 sitll had this to an extent, but it's much more apaprent again in 5 and thanks to the new movement mechanics.

I really don't think that much of Halo 5's maps suffer from the cooridor issue you bring up any more then other ahlo maps in the past did. Most of the lanes in the Halo 5 maps still are open to be shot from from other pathways, especially from other elevation levels, and the new movement abilities actually add a lot in terms of skulljumps and "hidden" pathways through the map.

Well, there's actually 2 really fantastic interviews with Max Hoberman, who is the guy who more or less singlehandedly made Halo 2's MP and networking, on IGN. One of them was an instance of the podcast unlocked podcast, the other was IGN live's feature of MCC. I can;t link them because every time I try to here the automatic url filters freaks out at me for not using archive.is even though it bugs out when I try to archive them.

Both of those go into a lot of detail about how Halo 2's MP devolped, but the tl;dr of it is that bungie intended to essentially focus on large scale, battlefield esque gameplay on much larger maps with higher playercounts, but due to all the cuts and troubled devolpment the game is infamous for, nobody was actually working on that, so Max and 1-2 other people were working on a more traditional followup to CE's MP instead, with 4v4 small scale competive stuff in particular as the focus, and that's what ended up being in the game, though obviously there was BTB

Besides just that, though, I don't know if you remember how the Halo community was back in the day, but they sort of DID give MLG the reigns. In particular, Bungie picked up a compeitive player after me made a post on a bunch of stuff he felt was wrong with Halo 2's MP and he became a MP lead and they made changes after that, though I forget what his name was. I remember being extremely angry at that because MLG was being faggots and wanted the whole game to just be about BRs and they even changed 3's weapon balance from the beta so the AR would be worse in the final game.

I'm down for any City of Heroes references, user, but those were just expansions. up until COH closed you could still go play the old zones.

You're forgetting the PSV Ridge Racer title, which was so shit it, along with Bugbear's "contributions" to the franchise, relegated Ridge Racer to mobileshit status.

I think he was talking about how NCsoft shit all over Paragon Studios when they pulled the plug as they were working on Issue 24: FIX FUCKING EVERYTHING.

Man, you people are young.

age of empires 2 is more alive right now than ever
but i'm also treating it as dying because these fucks can't get any good ideas for dlc

Dude if dead rising is a childhood game you're underage as fuck. Why do you think a fag like you who grew up with the motherfucking 360 is welcome here? Mcfucking kill yourself.

This one felt especially personal.

archive.is/mp2U2 The only map that even closely resembles Halo 5 design is Turf. All of these maps had one big open area and very little corridors. The only times there were corridors when they led to power weapons or positions.
Pulled out of your ass. There's only four designers that touched multiplayer, and they all worked on Halo 2 in some way

I literally had like 5 games to play for four years or some shit. Then the money came in and I got spoiled as fuck. Isn't childhood supposed to be before I go to middle school or some shit?

And now they are all dead or ruined.

If someone bought DR1 on release @ 10 years old they are like 20 now.

It isnt 2008 anymore. Captcha will always exist.

… don't make us all feel old user.

The worst part is, all they need to do is throw a cell shader onto Dragons Dogma and put the BoF tribes in the underling creator and they would have an amazing BoF game.

They are purposely not doing it, I assume to re-release mobster hunter and resident evil a few dozen more times.

;..;

I played the new one at a friend's house recently. I wasn't expecting anything good and I still felt disappointed.

I got that for free with my Wii U, god it's awful.

Goddammit, don't remind me. I saw some Skylanders garbage at the store the other day and it ruined my fucking day. Is there a single PS1 mascot who didn't get fucked over?

Halo came out 15 years ago.

I'm really sad that another Jet Set Radio game was never made. As a kid Jet Set Radio Future was the first game I truly owned and wasn't just sharing with my sister. It was great and I loved playing it. A game for the Wii was pitched and there was concept art, but it was never picked up, and that was the death of JSR.

As for developers, BioWare's collapse in quality hit me the hardest. I grew up playing KoTOR1 and Jade Empire, and later on I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1 and 2
I got Dragon Age 2 and it was complete garbage, but I thought it was a fluke. Then with Mass Effect 3 I knew that BioWare was dead and gone in all but name.

And?

On that note, have the series that commited suicide with its third entry and never came back except in RPG cameos.

Wild ARMS and Valkyrie Profile are mobile games now. Xeno series in nintendo exclusive.

Kane lives in death.

Man, probably all of /tg/ would qualify for this thread

Considering what EA did to them that's pretty accurate.

I don't understand why they made another expansion anyway. No one really cared about what happened between the end of BG1 and the start of BG2. I think people would rather have seen an RPG inspired by BG instead of their fanfic tripe.

Daily reminder we will never get a true remaster of MGS3 because Konami would rather turn it into a fucking pachinko machine. The sins never die.

Daily reminder that Konami thought it would be a better idea to port MGS3 to 3DS running at 15 fps rather than releasing it on PC

At least I can play SCII on Dolphin and it still looks great.

That describes exactly how I felt about the new Battlefront. It felt so unbearably bland.

My nigger.

This still fucking hurts

She's with EA now.
Working on Star Wars.

hnnnnnnfffFFFFFFFFFFF

Banking on older stuff thats what they did.

Kids who "grew up" with those games are all 16-28 right now? I'm counting 13 at Halo as the oldest and 6 at Dead Rising as the youngest.
Fuck outta here bitch and let alzheimers and diabetes ruin you already you crusty ass nigger.

I don't like this thread.

So many PS2-360 era games on this list.
I miss Wipeout and Toomba.
I miss Eternal Champions and Altered Beast that reboot never fucking happened, don't talk to me about it
I miss the original Sonic 3D on Sega Megadrive and I miss Mortal Kombat 3.

Nice try, fucker

hownew.ru

No, there was a guy who made a writup back in the day called "why halo 2 sucks" or something along those lines who was a huge competitivefag, then they made changes he suggested to the game and hired him.

Calm down there, child. Didn't your parents ever teach you to respect your elders?

Don't break my goddamn heart, user. BoF 3 was my favorite PS1 game. Fuck Dragon Quarter for ruining the series.

I'm still waiting for a full 3D reboot of Contra.

no bc im a spoiled self-entitled millenial who can do no wrong in my parents and teachers eyes :^(

Thats the one I meant, 8. And from what I hear the series has gotten worse since then from>>11483664 and other people since with 10 I hear they removed the cutthroat nature of Mario Party and turned it into EVERYONES A WINNER.

I hear 5 was getting a PC port but its Windows 10 only. Its not even the spying that turns me off it, but hearing the updates are a pain in the ass to deal with, the Windows store apparently being GFWL 2.0 and being more expensive than steam releases with high system requirements, and I dont want to deal with driver or game incompatibility that comes from moving to a new OS.

The word "millenial" is a made up term much like "generation x" in that it's designed to divide generations from one another after the Baby Boomers, which were named for the phenomenon that caused their appearance, unlike the latter.

I've never played RRVita but from what I've heard, not great. But you can at least look at it and say "that's Ridge Racer". Unbounded is so alien and unconnected I feel like a Bamco Rep walked into Bugbear's office, threw them a USB with some songs and RR6 Crinale model data and said to make a game in 24 hours. So they just took whatever they were working on, threw the songs and one race into it and shipped it.

Whatever happened to Humongous Entertainment? Last I know of them, got bought by a phone app publisher and then threw the games up onto steam No one would happen to have a torrent for a collection of them would they?

The 3DS was supposed to be an original MGS game, supposedly resembling the tech demo, but they decided to do a shitty ps2 port instead.

18+

This is a webm from the community to the devs trying to convince them to let the servers stay up

Hypothetically which annoying celebrity would they use in a western-made Onimusha 5 to particularly annoy fans of the old games, aside from having sub-par gameplay and shitty visuals?

>New Unearthed Arcana transforms monks into a comically better version of the paladins, making playing a paladin completely useless

It would be fascinating to see a documentary on how MS shot itself in the foot.

For me its pre xbone area when Kinect was the gimmick in town,

SFV ruined Akuma while Tekken7 did not. Crapcoooommm!

EasyMoney

Dino Crisis might come back though as Capcom stated with their announcement of MvC Infinite that they're looking to revive their older IPs

If crash can get it's remake hopefully spyro can get one.

We're never gonna get a decent sequel are we ?

Sir-tech did Jagged Alliance and Wizardry them going under dealt a massive blow to CRPGs that they haven't recovered from.

The care they put into their games was top notch.

I like how almost no one called OP out for being a massive underage faggot.

iD Software died gib by gib.
Lucas Arts went from the cool funny uncle to the crazy cat aunt slowly going insane, shitting her bedsheets with lazy Star Wars games before dying in a gross and honorless death.
Duke Nukem turned into a complete cuck.
I can barely contain my excitement for System Cuck 3.

All in all, most games I used to play on my computer won't work on modern settings anymore, all I'm left with is the jewel case and the box I hug at night, crying myself to sleep.

I bet that fat bastard completely forgot about Half-Life 3.

Closest I'll ever get to a third one is Bloodborne.

The problem with Lucasarts is that it was always shit. At first it was made up by a group of people working with their love of the star wars franchise with generic suits breathing down their neck and George Lucas' retardation and obsession with the name Jet Brody on the other side of them. After the love ran out and the suits fucked over everyone they could and they became a toxic corporation that no one wanted to deal with aside from big developers that could take their buttfuckings like a champ and big publishers like EA who wanted to make deals with them for the money.

The only good games that came from them are labors of love, and the reason they don't come out anymore is because they're no better than the likes of EA or bethesda.

You know, after seeing what Square-Enix had tried to do with Dead Sun and that PvP game I think it's probably better for the franchise to stay dead.

but im 20???

u need ur arthritis to catch up too

No, it wasn't all shit.

It went downhill in the late nineties when the studio realized the tools and technology they relied on was getting too old compared to other companies, Outlaws really showed how late they were in that department: they spent too much time to deliver a product with outdated visuals, based off a DOS engine poorly ported to Windows 95 (which was painfully slow at the time). Hell, most of their Windows installers are failing to run nowadays because they all rely on a 16-bit architecture.

The last nail in the coffin was Lucas' decision to milk all the money possible out of the Star Wars franchise with the release of Episode One. People gave them the benefit of the doubt since most of previous Star Wars games were great. LucasArts hoped the franchise would carry the company, but people got tired of seeing three Star Wars games come out each year. So they gave another attempt at "original" games by releasing yet another sequel to Monkey Island with the GRIME engine. It didn't do very well, just like Grim Fandango did, so they cancelled the sequels to Sam & Max and Full Throttle, allegedly because the genre died.

They knew they were getting old, that's why they showcased some very impressive never-seen-before tech stuff in 2007; but they also knew it was gimmicky and more flexible middleware technology would soon show up.

TL;DR: They failed to compete with other companies technology-wise, which make their original titles unappealing. They used Star Wars to keep the company afloat but had to rely on external partners to produce anything. LucasArts later realized they couldn't do anything with Star Wars but pimp it until became worthless as fans would ultimately overdose… so they sold to Disney who also getting as old cartoon characters were falling into public domain one after the other.

Yes, he didn't create Fallout but he pretty much defined what it is today, so he is the mastermind.

It happens in X and there's no pressure sensitivity on PSP, that game is the one that would benefit the most from HUD 'cause of the tiny screen, cockpit view can be pretty punishing in some planes

LISA
Yeah, don't play the Joyful.

Well consider that he might have gone up the way he snowboarded down from. Also they removed all villages and npc in the demos.

Lost interest on the Mario games after they fucked up Mario Maker

Don't worry user. Every time I see an article, forum post or thread on the internet about Valve or Steam I am there to yell

He's not gonna get away with it.