Armored Warfare

How do you anons feel that this is perhaps the game that will finally kill off Obsidian?

A little history

People have talked about Battleborn being the biggest flop of this year, but honestly Obsidian with Armored Warfare is definitely up there or at least worthy of being second place for fuck up of the year. They literally had the opportunity to take the mantle away from World of Tanks or at least have a firm good cashcow and proceeded at every opportunity to blow it.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/2baMk
archive.is/0YfJc
archive.is/9UhdE
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Noice

Pretty good write up, OP. I have no idea why they thought getting into this market was a good idea.
They should have handed it off a year ago and gone back to single player games.

I'll never understand how they went from a promising Open Beta to shit tier World of Tanks clone.

Probably because the tank game market is criminally under-represented. There's certainly room for tank games but not ones that are just reskins of WoT and don't learn from its mistakes. A tank game that focuses on modern vehicles and equipment and doesn't have shitty unbalanced premium shit and fucking health bars could be good. Though I'd rather get a full sim/simcade tier game with co-op and PvP (and maybe campaign) rather than F2P junk riding the waves of World of Shit and Shit Thunder.

I think this is the key problem that killed the game.

Originally in the beta they took the approach of 'There's an actual reason to use each ammo type as AP can pass through light vehicles, HEAT has lower pen and HE can actually damage vehicles you can't penetrate with AP', that way there was some way for lower tiers to effectively fight off higher tier vehicles even if it wasn't optimal.

Then they changed it so that way HE did nothing and there was no reason not to simply use AP all the time as the pass through mechanic was abandoned. This left you one unable to even penetrate the side turrets and hulls of vehicles that were even one tier above you, meaning that the only way to even do damage became pixel hunting on a model and trying to hit that one pixel weak point. So the only way to effectively do that was to get up in the face of the tank you otherwise can't harm. Brilliant.

This alone was enough to drive off the majority of the playerbase I think.

Then you end up with the shitshow that is War Thunder where nobody wants to play Simulator mode where you need to aim and adjust and take things slow, and instead they play the arcade and 'realistic' mode and play nothing but vehicles with APHE to oneshot everything so then everyone is afraid to advance.

War Thunder really grossly exaggerated the power of the APHE round to the point even the Russians called them out on their bullshit and actually backed it up with real Soviet field reports.

That's why you don't make a million modes and just have one where you have locational damage. If people don't like it and want to push W while spamming M1 like it's a third-person shooter then they can fuck off.

They still are. Latest hotfix is adding yet two more premium vehicles while addressing literally none of the issues plaguing the game. archive.is/2baMk
This game should be renamed Premium Warfare at this rate, what is it like over a third of the tanks in game are now Premiums?

Didn't mail.ru take over the game from Obsidian recently so they're not going to be concerned if AW fucks up?

It's a video game. This is not an issue. Would you rather prefer War Thunder's god-awful tanks? That shit is even worse than World of Tanks.

Yup archive.is/0YfJc
Staff layed off as a Christmas Present.

Would I prefer locational damage based on the tank's actual strenghts and weaknesses rather than an arbitary armor value? Would I prefer an element of skill and aiming rather than just a flat hitbox on a model where a hit just knocks a segment of the health bar away instead of disabling individual systems? Fuck yes I would.

Also what game am I going to co-op PvE with friends in my BMP against AI if AW dies?
I have an AFV/light tank fetish

All of what you said is included in WoT. It's infinitely better than WT. Seriously, WT is the most boring tank combat I have ever seen in my life.

I just thought of something, THQ Nordic bought Novalogic essentially which includes the Armored Fist series. THQ Nordic doesn't sit idle on old IP's, we could very much see a new tank game from them.

So you can shoot individual crew members and kill them in WoT? You can shoot and disable the engine? You can shoot the ammo storage and cause the tank to go up in a ball of fire?

Yes, yes, and yes.

But only if you sacrifice a goat to the RNG Gods before a match.

And buying premium ammo might help :^)

Then what purpose does the health bar serve? How much health does it take off if you kill the driver?

If you use the KV-2, it doesn't matter. Everything just dies in 1 click regardless.

To tell when you're dead.

None. That'd be gay as fuck if it did.

So if your crew gets killed you'll still have healthpoints but can't do anything?

No idea, it kind of makes less sense in Armored Warfare when you have crewless turrets which means you could completely destroy a tank's turret but the crew would still be alive.

If your driver or engine is fucked, you move and turn extremely slow, or not at all if the engine is destroyed. If your loader or ammo rack is fucked, your reload time is multiplied. If your gunner or gun is fucked, then you have no accuracy, or can't shoot at all if the gun is destroyed.

It's not complicated, nigga. There's also you tracks, optics, radio, radio operator, fuel tank, turret, and I think something else I'm forgetting. I haven't played the game in at least a year, though.

Bullshit, they are there to show where the enemy is and make the game more casual for people.

But if there really is all of that detail in it then why is there a health bar? If the health bar doesn't represent the status of your systems or crew then what's the point of it? What does remove healthpoints? Is it just a flat armor value or something and when you're at 0 it means all of your armor is gone? That seems incredibly backwards if losing your armor is what kills you instead of losing your vital systems.

Yeah but the KV-2 only has about 15 clicks per game.

The answer is that WoT is an arcade game and not meant to be a simulation of tonks at all, despite the autism that tonks bring.

this is absolutely disgusting

I like tanks, and have played AW quite a bit because of the modern tanks. I agree with OP for most of it, and I think that a fatal flaw in Obsidians strategy for the game was to never truly promote it to garner playerbase.
It was recently mentioned in a Dev Q&A that they have the possibility to put the game on Steam (instead of the god awful My Launcher) but haven't done so because they're unsure of how much that would help.
I don't care too much about the premiums, although I am more inclined to be dissapointed by the fact that they stopped adding more free progression tanks to the game. I assume they must've spent their time making the new gamemode, which appeared to be a waste of time with the playerbase almost gone.
I'm willing to give the upcoming rebalance a go, but as mentioned it sure sounds like it'll be some gay shit making it far closer to being WoT 2.0.

To clarify what the upcoming rebalance will do, is that it'll make guns more 'equal' from tier to tier. E.g we have a tier 5 with a 120mm and a tier 8 with a 120mm. They will both deal almost identical damage, but the higher tier will have more armour penetration.
This type of tier balancing is supposedly for all ammo types.
AP flies daster now, is more accurate and does less damage than HEAT.
HEAT will do bonus damage to thin armour, have less pen than have less velocity than AP, but more than HE and HESH. It also has bonus module damage modifiers (RNG woohoo).
HESH does bonus damage to modules, has a bigger chance to cause fire, but it is practically useless against thick armour. It has a retard damage bonus that relies on gun caliber and is the slowest, least accurate and lowest penetrating ammo type.
HE has damage bonus on penerations, chances to cause engine fires and does damage no matter the armour thickness (unlike HESH, which I assume can do no damage if the armour is too thick, it's not specified though).
ATGMs have bonus damage against thin armour, can be guided to targets, have a chance of starting fires and do more module damage. Some vehicles need to stand still to fire them. Super high peneration, but it has an angle mechanisme which reduces the chance of it penerating.
HESH, HE and ATGMs are countered by ERA and spaced armour. BAR armour stops/reduces ATGMs, HESH and HEAT.
APS is RNG and FoV based, it counters ATGMs.

TL;DR
ENJOY THE NEW RNG MECHANICS, BECAUSE THEY'RE EVERYWHERE NOW

Atleast they're adding new tanks, and supposedly ones related to the FÛG which means I can meme people to death.

FUCK
I forgot to mention that health between tiers will be altered by minimal amounts, so what really matters is if you can penetrate or not, as tanks with the same calibers will take almost the same amount of shots to die, that's if RNG is with you.

Enemies that are not spotted are not even rendered for other players to see them.

They guy saying WoT has drivers and such is being disingenuous.
Yes, those exist, but they are just modifiers and VERY rarely happen, you might have one or two damaged parts/crew during a game where you get penned 7-8 times.
Location where you penetrate is all that matters IIRC, so you can't, as an example, penetrate most tank's front hull armor and damage their engines.

Along with premium time :^)

mail.ru is NOT responsible for the entire game, they will only responsible for creating 3D assets. Obsidian still has control over game design decisions.

Considering how they've taken the game so far, that's bad news.

I never said it was a good thing. But I think in either case they'd just be mindlessly aping World of Tanks.

They've moved 0.19 to January even though they said it would be Q4 2016 at latest. Essentially they've taken far too long to deliver far too little.

That's ok because it takes 45 seconds between clicks.

What happens when this game crashes with no survivors?

Bethesda buys Obsidian.

Well here is a desperate cash grab. Highest pack is like $220 to buy

archive.is/9UhdE

What if Paradox buys Obsidian?

Then we will get more games like Pillars of Eternity with DLC for everything and anything in game.

Never played that, all I know is that it's RPG shit published by the map-simulator monopolists.

It was the game that made people realise that Obsidian were as only as good as their writers whom funny enough quit over Pillars

Now the dust has settled, is there any tank sim that Holla Forums recommends?

Older tank games were the best.

Steel Armor: Blaze of War is sort of okay.

Who designed this shit?

this happens to like every single fucking game that gets released nowadays and it's something i genuinely don't understand. i mean, off the top of my head, i can think of
>armoured warfare
and i know there's more. what the hell happens to these great betas that get turned into complete garbage

OP sums it up. The devs end up focusing on irrelvant shit that ends up fucking the game up rather than adding stuff that will actually fix or make the game better. Usually it comes down to the devs nerfing something into oblivion cause it's OP which means they end up having to nerf the next big thing that's OP and the vicious cycle continues.

Death of nuBioWare is a good thing.

my only regret is that that game doesn't have snow levels

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY WOT, JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING ALTERNATIVE WITHOUT FUCKING EVERYTHING UP.

Did they ever reveal which of the Johnny Gat game endings was the most popular?

I'm a faggot, it's not a tablet. It's a skeleton.

You HAVE been reading skeletons, right?

Doesnt matter if someone still gets made about it.

Nothing really, it is just baffling that simple sims have more player interactions and gameplay than most mmos on the market.

Tell me about it. I bought in the whole extremrlv thing and got fucked over it twice spending few weeks without being able to do anything.

More like

What the fuck is that?

Honestly I think most of the problems with FF post PS1 were the result of technical issues. FF12 had a troubled development that led to some cut content and an unexpectedly long development cycle, but came out of it a reasonably good game imo, or at least the International version was. Last gen was when technical incompetence really fucked everything up for SE, and they seem to have repeated a similar mistake with Luminous. XV was carrying the baggage of that because even when SE realized that overambition on a technical level isn't the way to go, it was too late for them to switch engines a third time, so Tabata's team was essentially stuck just salvaging whatever they could.

I think YoshiP was able to reach a good amount of success with A Realm Reborn specifically because he was smart enough and had the opportunity to try and balance ambition with practical concerns from the start of the project.
1/2

What fucking retard did that? It looks like something a 4 year old would strap to a vehicle. Honestly if it had a Milan or TOW on top it would look far less ridiculous.

Pretty sure it's supposed to kind of represent overall hull damage, though it's super arcade-y.
The best thing WoT has going for it is the armor models. Originally they just looked at papers and assigned armor for parts of a tank based loosely on their knowledge of tank design (so they made some mistakes like making german MG ports super weak when IRL they were same thickness or thicker than rest of front), but recently they've been going to actual physical tanks and measuring the armor thicknesses and mapping them out as accurate as they could without making the model too complex to run on russian toasters.

Any body want to play war thunder with me?

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

feels good

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

What ya get?

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

post the socks one

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Use tanks, they are easy to get the controls. Fighting head on is a bad idea, circle enemies using buildings as cover.

Never, ever rise an alarm

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Op learned how to be a fag

That actually makes me what IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad Tanks are like, isn't the hull damage model supposed to be extremely well done?

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Can yout with breasts in real life? Are they that moveable? Does the girl lie that, ? It looks painful.

Didn't the population of that game nosedive?

look at the top left

Looks like it has remained consistent. 1,500 battles, say average 30 per batle that's what like 45,000 actually playing?

not even plsgo tier

Did you win any prize tank in the latest campagin?

Sorry, I was in a real clan back when there was actual competition. I still have three more years worth of premium from my tourney winnings and I haven't played since '14.

I think we need a game about a might armored spank force.