How can I avoid getting autistically frustrated at videogames...

How can I avoid getting autistically frustrated at videogames? The moment any challenge outside of my capabilities come up I get really frustrated and it ruins my mood. I feel like I'd appreciate games and understand what makes them good if I could maintain my fun after losing a couple times. Is there a way to overcome my babymode or am I stuck like this?

all you have to do is git gud

How do I enjoy that process?

remove all the easy pleasures from your life, if you're used to not working hard for enjoyment when you do it's not fun

Find the root cause of your frustration. Is it because you're low on time and you can't afford constant setbacks or do you think the AI in the game is cheap?

Probably the first one more than anything. I have a bunch of free time but I want to experience so many games.

Exercise more.

How about you git gud

I dont know, you mean mp or sp? If you cant overcome a challenge on a mp game you really need to consider quitting videogames. If it's mp, git gud or stop playing for a while, tilting is real and playing longer only makes things worse

Don't consider winning the end goal: Consider improving the end goal.
If you die in a stage, don't consider that a loss. Consider it a measure of your abilities. Did you do better than you did last time? Can you feel yourself improving and starting to get a feel for the mechanics of the stage or gameplay elements?
Losing should be something invigorating. It means there's still a challenge presented that you need to beat. Stop thinking in terms of winning and losing. Think in terms of self-improvement.
If a game does not inspire you to improve, do not play that game. Continuing down that line will just make you complacent and is probably what led you to your current situation.

To readjust yourself so you go back to thinking of improvement over a binary win/loss, try playing some games that can be done in very short bursts but reward mechanical mastery and memorization.
Some games that come to mind immediately are:
- Shmups (in general)
- Fighting games (in general)
- Arcade games (in general)
- Dark Souls (or any Souls game, including most Souls-likes)
- Hotline Miami
- Doom
- Lovely Planet

Generally, the theme here is that checkpoints are plentiful and stages are short, but they are engaging and will inevitably require numerous playthroughs of a single checkpoint-to-checkpoint section in order to eventually reach the goal.
Consider playing games that follow that philosophy: Games that can be played in short bursts but pride themselves on their difficulty.

Once you feel like you want the challenge more than the win itself, start branching out and playing games that are designed to be played in longer stretches. You'll notice that deaths will feel more like an encouragement to do better next time, rather than an admonishment for not doing things right the first time.

Good luck out there, user. Here's hoping you can git gud and have fun.

*a challenge on a sp game

Came here to say something similar. Just consider your loss a partial win if you get better at game/section of game.

get high

You should stop seeking dopamine dose from simple actions in video games, like all the mobile nu-male players do, and start looking towards having fun experience receiving adrenaline and gain love to overcoming something.

When you "earning" your fun it tastes better. Get some practice online in Quake 3 or UT2004 to understand what i mean right away.

Seems like you just have a problem being engaged in anything that requires effort. Try focusing on the end goal of that engagement rather than focusing on the immediate frustration you may be feeling, that would probably help.

user you gotta savor the flavor. dont just zip through the vidya youre enjoying. when you get your ass kicked you get to keep playing something you like.

To be honest, if practice, repetition and losing are most important parts of video games, then what all those modern games that don't require any practice are?

Fuck off

come on man, just try it once. the first ones free

I wish i didn't open a comment section.

Some games are more lenient, you get a chance to make mistakes, you can just get told that you didn't do good (dance games, slashers like DMC). This makes those parts less important. The whole reason why they're important is to reward people for doing good in a game/putting effort. But diffirent folks - different strokes, so amount of effort may vary.

This guy is Daigo Umehara.
At one point, he was one of the best and most respected SF players in the world.
He was part of countless tourneys all over the world and beat a metric fuckton of asses anywhere he went.

He recently released a book, and in that book he stated that not even once he trained with the mindset of beating someone else.
Every single time he trained, his mindset has always been one focused on self improvement.
He wanted to get better, he enjoyed the process of being better, and thus, victory was a side product of his main goal: self improvement.

This is the key.
Stop focusing on winning, start focusing on learning and improving, getting past the roadblocks you're encountering will become an automatic result of your self improvement.
If you don't stress yourself at all costs about getting past shit, and instead enjoy the process of learning, you'll be much less stressed in general, and thus get past shit more easily.
That's how it works.

That's why most of Holla Forums is utter shit at video games, they're angry all the time.
Angry people always eat shit and don't get jack shit done in the end.

get laid

For me it was a point where I stopped finding enjoyment In easy wins and instant gratification and started to more and more appreciate the enjoyment of honing and improving your skills and overcoming challenges as I grew more mature and older, those games that suck your dick over nothing are entertaining to new fags but will wear off in time and lose their appeal, at least that is what happened for me.

Try some Shmup games and instead of worrying about winning or losing worry about beating your score each time and you will begin to see what I mean.

Game Genie

I like to do that but with RNG in games.
Getting that good roll that decides the win or the loss gives me such good vibes.

It's not meant to be enjoyable

jeremy jahns is better

If you are playing games and it isn't fun, I think you're just playing shitty games instead of the good ones.

I wish I got a physical copy of that book. I'd honestly love to read it.

I live for the anger and the mad. I rarely feel accomplished when I win, I just wanna get mad, and get angry. To get so mad it drives me mad.

holy guacamole whats up with torchic?

Getting frustrated IS the fun.
I miss getting mad at video games, now I can't even find a game I give a damn about.

Everything was going fine, then I lost all my friends and close family, I fell into depression and haven't been able to get mad or passionately competitive ever since, and it really sucks.
Now whenever I play a game, win or lose it's all just 'meh…'
Meh, I just suck.
Meh, the game is easy.

When you get mad at losing, that's you taking the game seriously and giving yourself a strong and engaging drive to get good and be better than those faggots, whoever they may be.

Realize it will be satisfying to beat a frustrating part, as opposed to just breezing through some easy game

I can only ever enjoy games in short bursts these days. Don't have the time to play most WRPG's **JRPG's are casual as fuck so I can play them in short bursts*, or anything particularly "objective-based".

I swear the only game I've played for the past month is Cho Ren Sha 68k and even that tries my patience after a few losses.

I remember playing long adventure games used to be really inspiring, I'd look forward to taking time out of my day to get comfy and play them. I'd even get excited at the thought of making my own game like it. These days, I just open up the shortcut to a game like STALKER and I'm filled with dread and annoyance at the thought of having to overcome all the challenges to progress further and X out of the game at the start menu. Then I load up my gamedev IDE and think, "I'm not feeling, maybe another day"

All I can do is shitpost on Holla Forums and play Cho Ren Sha 68k.

Its probably mad

What kind of games do you play, OP? I find that some games are frustrating when you lose, other games not so much.

For example, I bought Lovely Planet a while ago and couldn't stop smiling despite the difficulty, because it's always fair. If you're playing games that are bullshit then you might be getting frustrated because of that.

OP, just learn to work around your weaknesses, it might become a maze of failures, but there is always away out. Just kidding there is no way out.

This thread is stripping my will to fight.

Have you thought about planning out your days more?

or Maybe you'd have more fun playing games for long periods of time if you recorded your playthroughs and uploaded them to youtube

1. breathe
2. accept your losses. do not make excuses for yourself or your team (i.e. quit saying shit like "well this random guy on our team just fucking sucks" or "they just got lucky" or "I wasn't playing to my fullest" etc etc). There's a difference between making excuses and understanding the finer details of the specific events that lead to your failure. This ties into step 3
3. understand your game. half the time people complain about elements of the game that are intentional/integral to the experience for a number of reasons. if you do not understand how the game works, then you cannot proceed to step 4
4. think about the mistakes you've made and what you could have done differently to influence the situation in your favor
5. accept that some games are built to be casual trash. there are plenty of "competitive" games that anyone can pick up and play and be reasonably good at in a very short amount of time, or games that require a new player to grind so they can unlock new abilities to have any competitive edge. learn to recognize games like this and don't waste your time trying to "git gud" at a game in which chaos/RNG/shallow skill curve is a major influence.
6. practice your skills and learn to acknowledge your accomplishments. Climbing a 20ft fake indoor wall while wearing a harness may not seem like an accomplishment when your goal is to free solo the motherfucking half dome, but you have to keep in mind that at one point you were likely struggling to do even that.
7. don't let the bantz get to you. let people have their victory lap, even if they mock you in the process. you're not fighting against them, they are not your enemy. you're trying to fight against yourself.

Maybe. I have a speech impediment so I won't be able to talk during the videos. Also a toaster PC would limit me to games made before 2003 because screen recording software just chops my framerate in half.

Recording softwares kind of impractical anyway. I picked up some cheap external shit a few years ago that does the job fine.

Get some nicotine, booze, or spicy food.

Take breaks, go do something else for a bit and return.

saved, uploading for others who may want it.

enjoy your cancerous input lag faggot

just use any hardware older than 2011 and you get zero impact recording technologies you can just plug through OBS.

I need to go pick up some moonshine or some shit, because I keep running into the problem of getting too full while drinking, but never getting drunk enough to fully relax.

Few things in life are worse than trying to relax with a couple drinks and ending up feeling uncomfortably full and sick.

Just drink lots of water and piss and shit when you have to, user.

Goddamn those things are good.
First time I ate em my tongue bled.

Kill yourself. Only nu-male faggot hipsters vape. I wish I still had my vape. I had some butterscotch juice. It was surprisingly good.

Is there lag if you connect it as a second screen set on mirror display?

Play Furi

justl isten to hurdy gurdy man over and over

Enjoy the process of learning to get better at something you're struggling with. When you mess up, don't let it bother you and jump right back into trying again. Don't judge and criticize yourself too much. Acknowledge your shortcomings, but don't pay them a second thought.

Don't flinch away from the fire. Be forged in it.
Try. Fail. Try again. Suffer. Slowly, slowly improve. Keep failing, but get a little farther each time before dying. Eventually, you will triumph, and be stronger for your trials.

Well then just play the webm instead.

try having actual goals in life that you can be frustrated about, at that point you'll only play vidya for a change of pace

I think I'm a glutton for punishment. Most games I play will piss me off to the point of screaming, but I will carry on playing until the end anyway.

With multiplayer games I'm constantly infuriated by my fellow teammates, but I still like playing them.

Games that are a challenge are fun. games where you begin as a boy and end up as a man. Where you master the game and you become better as player, and not artificially just by leveling up, but rather by mastering the game and its meta

Not necessarily hard, but games that you won't advance unless you get good

These are the alpha male's games. People who "play the game for the story" or the instant gratification (mobile games, press X to win) are cucks and no wonder you feel no fun. They're boring and insipid.

A list of games that follow this formula, whether hard or not or with an autistic fanbase or not, provide that true gameplay feeling where your actions matter

Megaman X
Binding of Issac
Dark Souls series
plethora of old SNES platformers (with limited credits or continues)
Monster Hunter
Metroidvanias without guides
Advanced Wars among other strategy RPGs that don't hold your hand like Fire emblem
SNES or other older games' romhacks of hard versions with much more content and post-game content (Super mario RPG:Armageddon, Super Mario 64: Last Impact for instance)
Space Channel 5

You get the idea. Play games where the GAMEPLAY is the main attraction. Where your performance dictates the outcome. If you can't perform, you cannot continue.
Nowadays games are catered to casuals so they "experience the whole game", with press X to win, easy and forgiving games, where the only drive is to finish seeing the story. These games are cucked by publishers are greedy corporations, you know ((who)), so normalfags and casuals finish the game and become fans of the series, so they continue playing them and don't drop them because they lost and they're too casual to finish them

I feel the exact same way. Try as hard as you can to do something, anything better than before and gitting gud comes naturally.

I used to be like this, the moment a game becomes challenging I quit which is why I put off playing Civ 4 for a year because I thought it was gonna be autistically hard. I got over it by playing it.

My nigga

It's ironic that you mention "press X to win" because that is EXACTLY what you are doing in all those older "Nintendo Hard" games. Oh sure, you have to press X a lot, and at the exact precise moments, to win, but it's still just pressing buttons. It doesn't require much thought or strategy or planning or being smart or anything.

Those games were the "casual" games of their time, geared towards the lowest common denominator of players who couldn't be expected to understand something extremely complex, and so were told "you win this game if you keep going right and don't get hit by stuff." Indeed, the invention of consoles is considered to be a great casualization, bringing "games" to the masses, whereas before it was only men playing DOS games and board games and card games of such complexity that it would boggle the mind of someone who thinks Dwarf Fortress is hard. Now, suddenly you have "games" that even women and small children can play and win! Pathetic.

This is why I only play games with a lot of creativity and strategy required. I don't get any satisfaction out of something if it only requires rote memorization and good reaction speed, where you just bang your face against the wall until you eventually get it right. It's boring. How can anyone feel pleased that they accomplished something that a pocket-calculator or a small child could accomplish? I want something that continually challenges my adult brain to the very peak of its ability, where I have to study problems for a long period of time and be extremely creative to come up with a solution. It's even better if the solution can be made aesthetically pleasing instead of just functional.

Building things and overcoming challenges of intelligence is what being human means; leave the button-pressing and pixel-perfect precision for the mindless robots.

My nigga