What games will immerse me in an open world the way Bethesda games are supposed to but fail miserably at?

What games will immerse me in an open world the way Bethesda games are supposed to but fail miserably at?

Other urls found in this thread:

whitebiocentrism.com/viewtopic.php?uid=17&f=11&t=1262&start=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is that cum?

it's Bethesda immersion

Dorf adventure mode?

Stalker? Bethesda games w/ mods. Witcher 3 for decent open world (also needs mods).

Mount and Blade assuming you don't need sexy graphics to get immersed.

Deadly Premonition.
Because you play as an autistic, schizophrenic, user who would spend his days shitposting on Holla Forums

Any Falcom game

Arma with task force radio or ACRE mod

what the fuck is this and why cant i stop laughing

I can't tell if this is fallout 3 or 4. I'm guessing 4, since the girl is only half a potato.

It's 4. That vault where everyone is happy and all.

4 since everything looks like play-dough.

this

STALKER is the most immersive "open" world game i've ever played. It only gets better with the variety of mods it has for it

Deadly Premonition is either one of those games that you absolutely adore despite it's very obvious janky flaws, or you hate it more than anything else you've ever played.

To give you the short of it, a niche Japanese game developer watched Twin Peaks and somehow secured the funding to make a game that's just a love letter to it. But the funding was more like a fifth grader's weekly allowance, and that's the result.

i just dont understan
why is the man in a wheelchair in a gas mask eating a sandwich with cereal in it? why does the dude talk in freestyle rhymes? why is the ma nso adamant for him to eat the sandwich?
why does he make this huge assumption about a guy who likes cereal and jam on his fuckin sandwich?
help its too much

Play the game, and maybe you won't understand.

Do you have brain damage?

Amateur game dev here, my first release is supposed to be optimized for immersion. I don't consider this an indie game, more like a programming experiment that's wrapped in a video game. I've been programming for 8 years, but I never touched vidya dev ever. What are some things that you would consider extremely essential? So far I'm as far as dworf adventure mode with more involved npc ai and a more fluid interaction with the world in a way that you don't have to picture as much in your head

The cutscenes in DP are so gosh darn comfy. I wish the investigation portion of the game was less shitty.

Can you clarify? If you're talking about the programming side, you should ask Holla Forums, not Holla Forums.
If you mean essential to immersion, the best advice I can think of is just to research "immersive sims" as much as possible, since they do a better job of making a player inhabit the world than any other type of game.

Well I'm much more interested in making it fall in the general category of an Elder Scrolls game.

you'd think that they program over there, but it's a lot Holla Forums in that nobody really does

Well in reality more like dworf, but I really liked TESIII

Make sure that whatever you do, there's a death penalty system(lose stuff, back to checkpoint) instead of forced autoloads. If possible, remove quicksaving and use a robust autosave system. Nothing breaks immersion more than stopping everything and going back in time to a point that you set outside of the game.

First-person is a no-brainer. Systems-driven, obviously. So have a physics system that works right and ragdolls NPCs when appropriate. Have a day-night cycle, preferably one with actual implications for play, like monsters that only come out at night or others that are weak to light. Let the player solve quests in different ways, where possible. Don't give a "game over" except when the player dies; try to script as much as possible to allow for objectives to be failed or altered. Create environments that tell a passive story on their own, through diaries or corpses or arrangements of items, or anything else you can think of. Don't fall into the trap of modern Elder Scrolls: allow for any character to be killed, and script accordingly; have a level cap, to avoid people becoming a demi-god in every skill and subsequently getting bored; try to make the combat not shit; don't be afraid to punish the player for stupid decisions.
That's all I can think of as a quick starter off the top of my head. In general, it's most important to create a coherent and consistent world than anything else–that's what people look for (and sometimes find) in Elder Scrolls games.

Oh, hi.

Perma death is the only way to go. It simply must be that way. Also world wide PvP must be a thing, but implemented very carefully with very well guarded "safe" zones where it is nearly impossible in broad daylight.

You makin' an MMO, boy? This changes everything.

What about certain save points?

If it's an MMO then saving is impossible.
If you mean saving like Ragnarok Online Kafra location save then it's an option. But it seems permadeadh is better for what he's trying to do.

Nigga play the game.

Everyone should try Deadly Premonition. It's not for everyone. But if you like it, you'll love it. And if you dislike it, you'll hate it. There's no middle ground.

(Checked)

I agree. Just don't sleep outside during the night

You need to be a hardass and sleep at night with no companions

play it. love it or hate it it's honestly one of the very few games that has its own character. personally i love it but i love it in large part because it's so bad, not despite it

Not an MMO. Players will be able to host servers and have as many clients connect as their bandwith will allow.

The Witcher 3

There's tons of shit to do and CD Projekt Red actually cares about fleshing out the world without leaving out the gameplay. Sure, it's not as pretty as the initial E3 conference trailer, but it's still quite pretty, and plays well. Good game.

I'd say it's worth your time. Mods for it are decent enough.

The biggest flaws with most rpgs is that they don't allow you to live ethically and adopt a vegan or plant based diet. Fortunately the new Zelda game will rectify that along with Kingdom Come Deliverance which penalizes the player for carrying or consuming meat with the possibility to get parasites or for the meat to go bad much quicker than vegetables.

plants are living beings you fucking bigot

Stay mad, meatcuck.

why are you celebrating the murder of living beings you fucking nazi

Nazi Germany was the first country to ever introduce animal welfare laws. They're alright in my book.

you should be offended you fucking trump supporting racist

The fuck is the difference between meat and plants on ethical level again? They both alive and both being eaten to keep you alive.
Why would you eat one, but refuse to eat the other?

Idk, fam, guess I've been stumped.

Is that image supposed to answer my question? Because it doesn't.
If you give cow painkillers it won't feel any pain and become cucumber.

Bethesda games are great fuck you

I'm sorry, user. I can't stop you from being a retard. I'll try to make this simple for you, animals are sentient, that means they have the capacity to suffer just like human beings, that means they deserve consideration when it comes to making decisions. People do not eat meat to live healthily, they eat it for purely selfish reasons. Eating meat is objectively immoral and has been so since Pythagoras and most likely long before him as well.

Something that doesn't exist. There is no "humane" way to kill to kill something that doesn't want to die.

Well they didn't seem to do a very good job at that with 3. Fucking awful game.

not tru, witcher combat was off da hook

That's a really stupid picture. Those two things aren't analogous at all. A cucumber is basically the uterus of the the cucumber plant.
And plants to feel or at least "feel", CNS or not. As far as can they feel pain? Impossible to know. They certainly can sense injury and respond to it, and not just locally but systemically.

Every franchise Bethesda owns before they owned it will do the trick.

They are not? Animals don't think or feel emotions.
Pigs don't feel pain when they are killed, they are literally meat cucumbers.
Do your research before posting tumblr comics.

There is a way to make it not suck though. If I'm going to die I'd rather go the way with the stun gun that scrambles my brain first.
Its the minimizing suffering aspect that important.

You're thinking of "sapient".
I blame Prime and Picard for this misnomer.

There's a reason for the gas mask, but there is literally no reason for him to be freestyle rapping.

That's just Deadly Premonition. You don't ask. you just let it happen.

Why would you take into account something which you cannot know? When you figure how to live on sunshine and water alone, tell me. I switch to that lifestyle immediately.

Veganism is objectively the most ethical way to live. No amount of fairy tales on your end can change that. You eat meat because you're a gluttonous piece of shit, come to terms with reality, meatcuck.

I know you're just being a faggot, but Pigs are smarter than Dogs, Africans, and young children.

I'm pretty sure that there should be one with from NV with Veronica, cave and tripwire with grenades.

Jesus, Hitler really was a dumb hipster.

I'm a veterinarian acting in this particular field. If the animal is feeling fucking nothing and is basically unconscious, it really, really makes no difference if it dies instantly or not, faglord.
It used to be hard to find personnel properly instructed on how to get shit right to stun the animal correctly, but that has been changing quite fast in the last couple years. Rather, the main issue are animal welfare concerns due to the often poor treatment animals receive during their lives, not during their end. But we're working on that, too, albeit at a slower pace.

That is not correct, either. Animals are sentient, but they are not sapient.

delete this

leave nv alone

I don't doubt that for a second. Enjoy the colon cancer, fam.

It's like the cutscenes in the PS2 WWE games.

You may have quads. But my lust for steak is stronger.

lul

You fell for a meme. None of the Witcher games are great. 1 and 2 are okay, maybe even good, but not great. 1 WOULD be amazing if it wasn't for half the fucking game being backtracking. 1 just had a great feel to the potion and crafting system and the whole monster lore thing. Then 2 threw that all out the window and went the more consolized route, but it was still an alright game. Then 3 came along and just went full console, throwing out everything that made the previous games worth playing.

wew, you've been had son

the only truly immersive AND comfy game is bully

That's because you're a low willpower meat addict, hence a meatcuck. You deserve less moral consideration than a pig.

4u

Rather, I'm a omnivore that is actively trying to improve the life of livestock instead of sitting back and smugly complaining or doing like the 'better' members of your cult of retarded faggots and "rescuing" such animals, only to end up finding out that keeping them alive indefinitely is fucking expensive, making their short lives way more miserable before putting them down (often in some very hardcore ways).

So out of sight out of mind. Which means you're a fucking hypocrite.

It's the most practical method of nutrition too. Cattle consume twice the amount of freshwater in their lifetimes than a field of corn. Lifestock is more expensive to transport, they pollute the environment, and expire more easily.
Of course byproducts such as milk, cheese, and eggs supplement many nutrients that a typical vegan diet lacks, namely fats and vitamins. But it is impossible to satisfy all of the body's nutrients with food alone.
It won't kill you if you never take supplements, but it isn't healthy either.

Then you won't be able to deliver an experience that's similar to The Elder Scrolls.

You already made that clear.

I love you vegan faggots. You really are just like commies. Your little bleeding hearts read a couple of pages and already get your heads very far up your own assholes, while firmly holding onto your cute ideologies without actually knowing shit about how the world works.
Feel free to keep acting smugly, maybe share a few posts on Tumblr or something, while real men do actual work.

I'm a fucking man unlike you beta numales. Fuck animals. I'm the alpha male, and I choke animals to death myself before I eat them.

If you're being legit: the capacity to suffer. As far as we know, plants don't experience pain, at least not in a way analogous to the way that humans do. Most animals, however, can be subject to distress, misery, and pain. That said, I'm not a vegetarian. I understand the reasoning, and if I had the time, money, and willpower, I might consider abstaining from eating meat, but I don't, and I'm not willing to put forth the effort at this point in my life. Maybe that will change in the future.
If you're shitposting: benis.

The world works like this, meatcucks like you provide a demand for a product, then the suppliers breed and slaughter billions of animals to provide for that demand.

Animal welfare is worth fuck all. The only thing animal welfare does is make meatcucks like yourself feel good about killing countless living creatures because, "it's done humanely" You're an unethical piece of shit, it does matter how nicely you kill these animals, you're still killing them.

Anyone with a basic understanding of how energy moves along the trophic levels should realize that using meat for food is inefficient and foolish. You're a dipshit, fam.

You don't understand what objective morality is.

Fuck off.

Please do not choke the animals. They do not enjoy that.

Oh my, I thought only the pain (or the existence of the central nervous system, as you so smugly put it) mattered. Now it's the actual lives? Man, better stop killing plants too, if that's the case.
Rather, even if that wasn't the case, it's better to stop growing vegetables altogether too, since any kind of land disruption brings about the death of quite a few cute critters, some are killed as pest control, and some more die (albeit unintentionally) during harvests, too.

dante_fuck_you.jpeg

It's amazing that you don't even know what veganism actually is. The funniest part is that you think you're an expert on all things animal related since you're a veterinarian.

If you cannot get into Mass Effect n Dragon Age, perhaps RPG's are not you're stuff? Or give Oblivion a try, Bethesda usualy made there games for casual players not like Bioware that stickies to more hardcore oldschool RPG mecanics of deep, engrossing storylines and character delvopement.

This is the first thing to trigger me in this thread.

I'll eat some fucking animal bred to be killed before I take a plant out of its habitat and murder it, who am I to deny something its destiny?

Pretty good bait, have a (You).

Yeah, that's what all vegans look like. That's definitely what they look like.

Rabbits and rats are cute, but they are plentiful, and wild rats eat anything, have no respect for human, infest areas etc, and rabbits do the same to crops and breed like crazy so they can do it more.

They're killers, via indirect means. They need population control aka massacres from time to time. And it's a natural thing too. If a creature invades another animal's territory, they will fight and kill and the winner takes the land. Rats and Rabbits don't give us anything but pest invasion that damages our food sources and infrastructure, and that's why we have exterminators.

The reason we have dogs is because they give us loyalty and protection, cats give us peace of mind and pest control, rats and rabbits can be pets, but we neuter them to prevent them from booming and overtaking our land.

It's madness to save the pests at the expense of the crops. One must go, and if the crops or our housing is the victim and not them, then we do not gain and only lose.

Rats must die.

witcher 2 was terrible and I tried forcing myself through it a total of 6 times. The combat is fun, but the horrible animations and lack of world interaction, combined with the story that made absolutely no fucking sense, I simply couldn't get into it. Ironically though, I loved the ever living shit out of divinity original sin.

Okay, I just googled that faggot you posted. He's mentally ill and has orthorexia. He went vegan for a short time but he looked like that before he was vegan too.

whitebiocentrism.com/viewtopic.php?uid=17&f=11&t=1262&start=0

Vid related is some people who have been vegan since birth, look pretty healthy to me.

Sis went vegan and could not do it. She doesn't eat meat, but she now eats animal products.

Those two are lying to virtue signal. You should know how these people work by now, man.

I've been vegan for 6 years, it isn't hard. I bet your sis wasn't even taking vitamin b12. I bet your sis is a moron.

not vegan, but I've owned and befriended many rats. They're very fucking smart and affectionate creatures. Better companions than dogs. My most recent rat used to constantly groom my head with his tongue and slept in my bed with me every night. He was even potty trained, he'd lick my nose in the middle of the night if he had to pee or poop. teaching him tricks was even simplier, he was very explorative naturally and could adapt to a task within only a few tries. Very fucking good pets, my dude. They're easily as smart as crows.

yeah but you're a vegan

Is this your idea of a man?

No, it's my idea of an 18-year-old.

reminds me of twin peaks

She was, actually. She lost most of her energy and since she actually works hard, she couldn't afford taking it. Vegan bullshit is for rich people who have nothing to do and bullshitters who want to look good in front of people. If you were really "vegan" you wouldn't be virtue signaling about it everywhere, you'd just fucking do it.

Rats when trained make good pets. Rats not trained make for a bad pest that needs to be exterminated, especially since they carry disease better then anything.

That looks older then 18 years old, around 24. People tend to look older due to stress.

looks after 25 to me, is this what vegan diet does to you?

ackshully, yes

Nice cherry picking. Here's a 46-year-old vegan woman

"vegan"

plants are food for many other species too, they are depriving them of sustenance by consuming more than average

2D games with minimal scrolling.

A stationary camera that's a distance away from the action lets you feel like you're observing from within the world instead of being inside someone's head.

If the camera is dynamic, though, the dev's tend to screw up and make the world feel like a fucking toyshelf cause they can't depth of field for shit… So you're best bet is Rendered 3D sidescrollers.

But that's literally the absolute worst type of game ever made.

elaborate

It's a shitty perspective, and limits gameplay to being boring as fuck. I don't know what else you want me to say.

that's supposed to be a woman?

This guy is right

the bisected side view 2D games can display their boards in 2 different ways.

You can make it look far away, or you can make it look small. Either way will fit everything on the screen, and it doesn't sound like much difference, but the difference is there.
One way makes the game look like a wideshot in a film, the other looks like you're playing with action figures on a bookshelf.

Most 3D sidescrollers go with the latter look, because the focus is wider and you see all models from different angles. it also make any enclosed environments feel more cramped because the foreground has to wrap around everything. Look at this screenshot! The entire game was like this.

Very few 3D sidescrollers go with the other design. Older 2D games that play around with parallax backgrounds, are your best bet.
Some good modern examples would be Inside, and maybe Dear God.

Those are Fallout 4 graphics? Holy fuck.

take your vegan faggotry to another board, no body gives a shit.

Wanna know how I know you will never amount to anything?

Wanna know how I know you're a fucking idiot?

test

Vegans don't eat milk, cheese, or eggs.

Fallout 3 did this pretty well, though. It aged like shit but when it came out it was extremely immersive, at least on PC and after some patches and mods.

NV was literally unplayable for a year and is still way too unifinished to be truly immersive, there are way too many invisible walls in the open world, empty locations and retarded Ceasar mobs which always kill the immersion attacking you with poles and knives while you have a machine gun, and then they also take ages to kill.

Of course New Vegas is still the better game.

some of the older bethesda games are alright, otherwise stick to stalker and it's mods