3DS CFW + Homebrew General: A Shit OP for a Broken Site Edition

Here's the link to the pasta: pastebin.com/x2BX0wTw
Here's the link to the last thread: archive.is/FGotD

Holla Forums is still broken and hates long posts.

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-really-no-way-to-play-my-big-ram-games.429312/page-2
gbatemp.net/threads/release-howling-theme-tool-create-your-own-cia-theme-packages-with-custom-and-official-themes.401081/
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
smashcustommusic.com/65057
files.catbox.moe/vx65ct.wav
files.catbox.moe/24ecow.bcstm
3dsdb.com/
github.com/Mrrraou/waithax
pastebin.com/raw/x2BX0wTw
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/278558-legit-signed-tickets-3ds-games-installing-11-0-11-1-fbi-waithax.html
github.com/Mrrraou/FBI/releases
ghostbin.com/paste/cur8m
ghostbin.com/paste/z28ex
youtu.be/M82PKccJBog
gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/
github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues
gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-vc-injector-for-3ds.453891/
github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases/tag/17/10
3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax
mega(dot)nz/#!hkZlxCLJ!WvmMvh_ARpgB7A8ydLyESMTRKjSsnG6KjA1mK0DLugU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks for that, been trying for some time to make the friggin thread and no dice.

So my friend has a 2DS with an emunand I gave him i don't want to see any pissing contests about emunand v. A9LH this time, no the answer to this isn't "install a9lh" and it's behaving oddly- extended-RAM games (Smash, MH4U, Mario Maker) and his DS flashcart both just crash his system, and if I'm reading the FAQ right so would GBA games and DSiWare. The thing is I have absolutely no idea what could've caused it considering I hadn't touched Luma's settings from my fully-working emunand before I formatted it, and the FAQ claims the problem is related to a boot manager being improperly set up with Luma, which isn't the case because he's just booting straight from the HBL. Any of you know what the hell is going on here and what a potential fix could be?

In all honesty, it sounds like a9lh is the solution since your boot manager is giving you some shit.

But I'm not using a boot manager, unless HBL is counted as a boot manager.

outdated luma?

I dunno if that would even impact anything since it worked fine before I formatted it, but I can get him to update Luma I suppose. I'll report back.

Post home menus, pussies.
Lewd themes welcome

What theme are you using?

Nintendo DS Firmware theme, it has a really comfy feel.

God damn, organize the image properly make several rows, not a long image.
Lemme take screens of my home menu.

I finished going through the guide to installing a9lh last night, and it was working great. However, I decided to do a system format in an attempt to tidy things up, but of course, there's an issue. I'm trying to inject FBI into the h&s app using Hourglass9, however it keeps failing. I am also unable to dump the h&s app to begin with. How should I proceed?

use the hbl fbi to install the .cia fbi

Figured it out. I was missed putting aeskeydb.bin into the files9 directory.

Thanks.

I'm using a bunch of themes, lewdest being a moth girl theme.

Is there any way past the pokemon moon ban w/o a second 3ds?

No dice on a fresh Luma install/upgrade. Further elaboration from friend is that it gets to the 3DS splash-screen when starting it, then immediately shuts itself off. It's freaking the fuck out when it goes into extended RAM but I have no idea why it's doing that whatsoever.

It wasn't until I saw your pic that I realized you could zoom out in folders. I had always thought it had to be a single row for some reason. So I avoided using them.

I hate it. I hate it more than anything else on the 3DS.

Make a new folder, give it a trash icon, and put it all the way at the end.

I remember a few anons used to have this problem. Try this: gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-really-no-way-to-play-my-big-ram-games.429312/page-2
If that doesn't work than emunand may legitimately be your only solution.

ignore me, i'm an idiot

And because I'm such a fag, here's my splash screen.

If any wants me to make a continuous splash, feel free to ask, I like image editing. I'll do it for free

custom theme guide?

Make a /themes folder on the root of your SD card. Put the theme folders in that folder. Install CHMM. Use CHMM.

Current status is that the old Luma3DS version half-repaired the issue, now seems to stick at black screen instead of just crashing the whole thing. If nothing happens (max waiting ten minutes for a high-RAM game to load) I'll have him update to the latest nightly via Star Updater or something. Any ideas in the meantime?

Howling Theme Tool to install themes as cias and access them through the themes menu like with official ones gbatemp.net/threads/release-howling-theme-tool-create-your-own-cia-theme-packages-with-custom-and-official-themes.401081/

You can get custom themes from 3dsthem.es and 3DSiso also has dumps for all legit themes in CHMM/HTT format, but like with legit themes this way is subject to DLC wipe if you access eShop/dump money into Badge Arcade/collect presents in Hyrule Warriors and you have to reinstall your themes.

meant to type "then upgrading from emunand"

Can't you just switch to a pirated theme then dump it with CHMM2 then just switch to it through that?

Also I believe there's only 3 official Ashley themes? The theme shop is terribly designed, not even a search feature.

Can't you delete it manually through FBI?

Yeah, at this rate I might have to give him that news. I'm not exactly happy about it since I wanted it to just werk for him out of the box but if it's the only way then the Plailect guide is written well enough that if he doesn't skip anything he won't mess up. Thanks for the help so far though, was quite pleased that 5.5 Luma got as far as it did.

Yeah, I think so.

Will slowhax work with other DSiware or am I stuck with system transfer?

RECOMMEND ME SOME GOOD 3DS GAMES

Super Monkey Ball 3D

Shiiiiiiiiet.

In that case, I have no choice but to recommend finding a .cia of Hyper Metroid on VC if you can. If not, then either Steamworld Dig or Shovel Knight.

Do I upgrade games I got from freeshop through the eshop? Do updates count as DLC that it wipes when you enter the eshop?

what a meme

put some effort into your bait

Freeshop also handles update and DLC data, just find them in the list and poke to download their updates/DLC. Eshop doesn't wipe update data, only DLC.

Oh nice I was about to ask about that but 8ch ate my post. Lucky. That's excellent to know.

OK glad I found 'em all then, cheers.

SPEAK LOUDER I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Is tubehax down? I couldn't connect with my wii u.

Okay but can I get updates from eshop if I don't have dlc to worry about?

vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

So, I need to help a friend with a USA O3DS, problem is even though I have Legends of Exidia on mine I have a EUR O3DS, if I region change it then I lose Legends of Exidia, is there a way to use trick the console into transferring a pirated copy?

If there was we'd all be doing it and no one would be buying dsiware.

Well fuck.

If you don't have any pirated DLC (this includes any themes installed as a cia!) then yeah you're fine for updating from eShop. Dunno why you would with Freeshop there but whatever floats your boat.

Stella Glow. MH4U.

I installed a retail dump of sun, but FBI said version 0. Is this normal?

So watcha playin CFW?
I've been playin DBZ Fusions, it's fun but the menus infuriate me. I also finished the Zero Escape series at long last.
By the way does Luma have some sort of play coin cheat? I hardly ever use those but I'm kind of curious to see what moves can be awarded with the Fusions machine and their ratios.
Zero did nothing wrong

As far as I'm aware even retail carts have an internal version string of 0.

Use JKSM and you can set play coins however you like.

Thanks. Same for moon?

I'm suffering option overload. I have so many options to explore that I ultimately pick none.

Or for those who don't want to mouseover, here's a screenshot.

I NEED SOME GOOD N3DS THEMES!!!

Could you make a music file for me?

Play Rhythm Heaven Megamix, or Shantae.

At least choose a character or series you like and see if there's any on the theme shop or 3dsthem.es first.

I do any most of them are shit or just not tagged. The tagging/search system in 3dstheme.es is really bad.

this game is actually good

gigavolt*

Worryingly it's better than the seach on the real theme shop (read: it has one) but try there too, they have some nice themes and Freeshop lets you pirate them.

Also I switched to an official Ashley theme yesterday but for a while I was using Maki ones someone on here made for me, they're simple and unobtrusive.

So I go to the regular theme shop and just click on them or on the freeshop I can find themes?

You go to Freeshop, click installed games and install DLC for Home Menu Themes.

It installs however many hundred, then you have to sit there and delete most of them to get under the limit of 200 or 300.

3dsthem.es is getting a .cia that can browse and install without getting off the console.

In Freeshop if you go to the list of installed games, you can find an entry for themes. What I noticed is that when I cancelled the downloading process, it still downloaded the tickets so I could "redownload" the themes through the regular installer. That may be unsafe, but it also means I don't download a whole lot of thems to clutter up the list, as someone in the last thread seemed to find out.

Also you probably want to do my trick of dumping them with CHMM2 then installing them from there in future, so that eShop doesn't purge them like it does with DLC.

I see that I have home menu themes, but its only letting me delete the DLC? But I dont know where it shows up? Its not in my theme shop of owned themes.

So wait, I needed a DSIware title that was pulled from the eShop to even use slowhax? I wish they would've said so before, I was just waiting on it to come out before I tried to do anything with my stock N3DS. What a bummer.

I could try

You waited to buy a game to hack your console when you probably knew they were going to be pulling the games soon? Nice job.

Could you make this song into one?

That's a remix とびだせ!ばんきっき
Bluebear mix or something.
Let me see.

Delete DLC and reinstall.

I didn't know I would need them, is the problem. I thought slowhax was going to be an alternative to the DSIware games, so I didn't bother getting them.

casualkiller remix

i have a /r/equest too user
smashcustommusic.com/65057

Working with audacity is a pain. What a poor design choice that adjusting a selection and making a new one (thus clearing the old selection) is done on the same bar and easy to mess up. No keyboard controls for that, maybe i'm just shit at audacity.
The song has lot of subtleties that made it hard to loop the singing and still make the music flow without popping/glitching.
Tried my best at trying to make it sound well enough when it loops.
files.catbox.moe/vx65ct.wav
files.catbox.moe/24ecow.bcstm

Thanks man, I tired too but for some reason when I use YATA+ and open the .wav file to turn it into a bcstm file it opens it again so you can listen but all I get is a silent file?

Use the .bcstm I provided, I opened it in YATA and it plays fine.

When trying to launch games installed through .cia files, I get an error telling me to turn off my 3DS and turn it back on. Any idea what's causing this?

What's your current setup? I'm assuming al9h+luma, but if it's something different make sure to tell us that.
Have you tried multiple games and gotten the same error, or is it just one?
Do games from freeshop work?

Has anyone here gotten basehaxx to work?

I'm using menuhax with Luma, it's been happening ever since upgrading to 32GB SD. Perhaps it's a fuck up on that SD?

Okay so testing my 4GB SD card still allows me to launch .cia installed games, I'm thinking it really is the 32GB SD card fucking up.

Backup your stuff and run a check on your SD

Checking the SD says it's fine. Any other ideas?

So, how do use the NTR cheat plug-ins? Is it hard to develop one? If I were to download one, what format should it be? Does it works on 3.2?

So, guys, what's next? What's the easiest way to restore the shit? Luma itself mentioned something under payloads, but I do not know how to activate that to fix the shit. I can restore from my 4GB card, but that would mean I'd lose Super Mario Maker.

How are you testing it?
Use H2testw.
Maybe reformat it.

Just if anyone can check for me on their unit. N3DS XL. When it comes to Retroarch, does the left side of your screen lag behind in any way?

If anyone can test theirs out, please do.

Goddammit, I only ever got online in oras and moon for event pokemans. And always made sure to keep wireless off.

Well shit. time to shop for a new 3ds.

I have a cia of Metroid Fusion installed, does this mean other GBA games can be played too? Because I've been itching to try out battle network

There's your problem, sun and moon came with an on-cart firm update to 11.0 and probably made you update to be able to play them. Look it up here
3dsdb.com/

Has anyone tried Waithax yet?

github.com/Mrrraou/waithax

Well that's shitty, well whatever, might as well update to play online now.

Oh, I just looked up the updated guide- so SUDOKU won't work for this?

There's a way to inject them into the GBA emulator.

Why? He can still use Waithax, and won't homebrew let him play online?

I'm on a9lh and I just set-up a blue Gateway card to play some NDS games, it works fine but I'm a bit paranoid for some reason, is there any risks ?

Can you only use PKHeX on Windows?

Ok, so let's say I have a N3DSXL that is on the most current firmware, and I fucked up doing the transfer method involving a second 3DS, AND I'm to scared/inexperienced to do a hardmad, not to mention I can't figure most of the guides out. Is there any hope left for me to have a hacked N3DSXL, or in mankind in general?

try the transfer method again after a week.

When I said, fucked up, I really mean it. I accidentally updated the other 3DS to the current firmware as well
Not to mention I don't want to buy FeildRunners for a third time

Sell it and buy a new one

Install A9LH

I'm too lazy to take a screenshot of my theme so I'll show the preview from 3DSThem.es and an old screenshot I took

it keeps bothering me to update to 11.0

is it safe? Should I update my luma first? I did all this a really long time ago and forgot what to do

Careful, there's a slim chance it breaks your nand. You should uninstall any additional titles that are saved onto the system like dsiware and make five sysnand backups just in case before you update.
Some consoles have even bricked, so maybe wait till luma is patched or you could make an emunand, update it and, if it succeeds, inject it as sysnand. It may or may not catch on fire and burn out the cpu.

That's not very reassuring

so it's safe to update luma but hold off on 11 right now?

Update luma, ensure both luma and a9lh are working, and then update. There is 0 percent chance of bricking.

Waithax only works with DSiWare games that aren't on the eShop anymore so probably not. Hardmod or the system transfer with CFW 3DS are his only options.

For what it's worth I've been using mine without any issues, and it's just a clone of the R4i Gold.

You need to update to do a system transfer, or are you saying that you're an emuserf who should've installed A9LH?

Can I avoid the week wait by creating a new NNID, transferring that, then relinking my old NNID on the original 3ds?

I think system transfers are per-console, you'll have to wait. That method is shitty you may want to find someone to go the hardmod route.

So the source system is useless for a week?

Effectively. Two weeks if you need to transfer the NNID back again!

How do you perform the process described here?

It isn't very clear, but it is basically saying you can restore from a backup file it makes during the update. And I would like to do that on my 64GB card of doom.

I have a 11.0.0-33u old 3ds

Can homebrew etc? Seems like browserhax thing doesn't work on old. Do I need to buy a savegame cart editor thing?

Read OP.

pastebin.com/raw/x2BX0wTw

The formatting is aids, try to use ghostbin instead next time?

OP isn't me, but holy shit, scrolling past it looked like you stole my ID for a second.

Dude, we all got our own share of the dumb.

Same, only I bought Cubic Ninja only a day after Legendia was pulled. Now I'm so screwed. But I have a valid entry point.

I in your situation without DSiWare can only wait weeks, months- or Hardmod. Or buy a 2DS.

That sounds dumb as fuck, but it's Nintendo so I believe it.

So who's tried this?

3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/278558-legit-signed-tickets-3ds-games-installing-11-0-11-1-fbi-waithax.html

github.com/Mrrraou/FBI/releases

The test

Use waithax to install the SELECT signed .cia files to an 1.0 or 11.1 firmware with just an entry point.

ghostbin.com/paste/cur8m

How have people STILL not gotten rid of this asinine emuNAND/sysNAND split bullshitery and gone for the full al9h setup that merges the two and makes your CFW permanent?

You can still use an emunand even with a custom sysnand, for whatever reason

In hindsight, I should've done that when the plailect guide still hadn't mention you could skip injecting titlekeys if you were moving over from emunand. I mentioned it to the writer to add a note since it broke my streetpass. I had to uninstall its updates and reupdate it through Freeshop. I still don't know if anything else was affected, probably not.

ghostbin.com/paste/z28ex

Finished using the guide to get arm9/luma on my Jap N3DS and got freeshop installed, all the US region games I've downloaded so far have worked fine with one exception, 3D Excitebike; it just shows a black screen when I run it, but the home button lets me back out at least.

Is this one of those titles that doesn't like having the extra clock speed/cache of N3DS or might it be some region thing I have to work out?

my brother's 3ds is fucked, if you have it fully(or near fully) opened it will shut off/refuse to turn on(the blue led will fade in and fade out less than a second later) I'm hear it could be the power ribbon or the speaker cable, i will probably take it apart this weekend, has anyone experienced this and been able to fix this?

anyone know where I can get an SSH client for 3ds?

I have arm9 and I want to be able to control a C.H.I.P. computer to play tunes

Probably because they want games first and foremost and don't really give half a shit about upgrading to the latest and greatest thing if what they already have and know how to use works. I updated to A9LH just out of sheer curiosity and not having anything better to do, myself; if I hadn't had my backlog all finished up at the time I'd probably still be using emunand just fine.

Could be region emulation. Luma3DS documents how to do it.

Not that I know of. Maybe 3DS Linux has ssh included? Haven't tried it.

Flimsy reason, emuNAND can be restored to sysNAND afterwards, and it doesn't take THAT long. Plus you're saving yourself from future issues like the occasional themehax failure, accidental sysNAND upgrade, no duplicating GBA games, and so on.

If I weren't so lazy/apathetic, I'd be making one for Omega and Cole. And actually taking a screenshot of my 3DS.

Most of the reasons for emunand are flimsy with A9LH but if you want to go that route we can say "move to this because [benefits] even though you've got no real reason to switch methods" is pretty damned flimsy too. If they're fine with all that and they're not stupid enough to update sysnand (really if you're stupid enough to be updating sysnand despite being in emunand near-constantly then you're probably stupid enough to break A9LH in some way or other) then live and let live.

Plus there's spite as a reason, breathing down your neck about A9LH when you're happy with what you've got makes you double-down and stick to your guns.

Why would you bother fixing something that works for you?

The ones actually happy with it aren't asking questions here about how to do things. The ones that aren't get blown off (deservedly) as emuserfs.

By that logic anybody who asks questions about A9LH is beneath an emunand user who knows his shit inside and out.

By that logic, just how cretinous and lazy are you to ask about emuNAND? If you can't even be assed to keep your 3DS hacks up-to-date, why should we help you?

I would've answered "because we're not GBAtemp, filled to the brim with self-righteous faggots who get haughty and hedonistic over something as completely irrelevant as a CFW approach" a few months ago but one or two people have been trying to prove me wrong since then considering it's typically just one or two people that get in a pissing contest over A9LH v. Emunand with these threads.

My emuNAND is currently at 11.0.0.33U, should I update? If so, do I update Luma first or my emuNAND?

Emunand is fine to update. If Luma's outdated you should be updating that anyways but the order doesn't matter as far as I'm aware.

the answer is always YES YOU CAN FUCKING UPDATE, luma can be update whenever

So my physical cart of Gyrozetter is showing up weird on the home menu in Luma on my English 3DS. Game itself runs fine.

There's a big red shape in front of the model, which sometimes clips through as it rotates.

WE SOME STRAIGHT BOYS

There's doom on the 3ds? Is there 3d doom?

Here are some questions since you seem more helpful than Vola autists or the Gbatemp circlejerk

Console is a 9.2.0 2DS with a latest update SysNAND through Luma, considering I'm waiting for 33c2 to see if there'll be a safer/faster way to go through A9LH for 2DS before going through the process.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have the same problem my buddy did where shit just freaks the fuck out for absolutely no reason. It's related to Luma3DS's reboot patch, but I don't know the specifics; your GBA and DSi problem has the same root, and chances are DS games wouldn't work for you either. Do extended-RAM games (Super Smash Bros., MH4U, Mario Maker) not work either?

Try downgrading Luma3DS to v5.5 and report back to me on if it helps at all. Also don't be afraid of A9LH in its current state, the process takes maybe two hours altogether with most of that time being spent backing up sysnand/emunand and copying it to your computer. It's as safe and fast as it's gonna get.

As for themes, both are good and you can use either CHMM2 (homebrew application) or Howling Theme Tool (builds cias out of both official and custom themes that you can then install). HTT lets you pick your themes in the 3DS's own menus but CHMM2 ensures you won't Brendan Frasier yourself by going to the eShop and having to reinstall all your themes.

First, thanks for the answer.

They work fine.
I noticed I was on 6.3.1, I'll give a try at the latest (6.6) release before that, considering one of the corrections specifically is "DS/DSi/GBA/extended memory games will work now". But I suppose the downgrade works the same as an upgrade, by simply replacing the files, right ?
I'm partially afraid of the apparently higher risks of bricking 2DSes since the only console I've pirated was a PSP (which was much, MUCH easier than that), and partially lacking the time to actually do it. But I'll try to get myself some time to do it if possible.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Definitely do give Luma3DS an upgrade before giving the downgrade a try. Might just be the most recent version you need and nothing else; since extended-RAM games DO work that should fix it right up.

First I've heard of 2DS having a higher brick rate, but if walking my buddy and his 2DS through A9LH is any indication the worst that'll happen is a stretched top-screen on 2.1.0 and the rest is fine. If you want you can do it piecemeal, get your sysnand and emunand backed up per the guide and then do the rest another day since the constant backups are the most time-consuming part.

Official themes can be found on 3DSiso (and in CHMM2/HTT format to boot) and custom themes on 3dsthem.es.

There is no increased risk of bricking on 2ds. Quit being paranoid. Since 2ds uses o3ds hardware inside of it, it can naturally run 2.1.0. If any system has a slightly, higher brick rate it is n3ds when people put the system in sleep mode like the guide says in bold text not to do.

There will be no new method at 33c3, we would have gotten wind of it by now.

The new method being harped on about is probably just Waithax which is already released anyways.

So, no one?

Anyone know?

where the fuck is Sukiyaki
cmon step it up nippers

Blow in the cartridge slot? But seriously that's hilarious, have you tried it on another 3DS, or an eShop copy of the game? It's probably "just" a bad cartridge. Probably not to do with hacks unless you've been doing a lot of nasty shit with your 3DS.

2DS systems were not designed with 2.1.0 in mind either, namely if you do a system format, you cannot complete the initial setup because of needing the 3D turned on.

I'm looking forward to the new talk, they'll probably talk about the DSiWare side of things.

I don't know of any homebrew that uses the 3D. Also reminds me I need to get prboom set up properly.

Yes but there's no method to make it work with a DSiWare still for sale. HOPE LIVES.

Anyone else find it weird Nintendo are still trying to protect the 3DS now when the Switch is coming out in a few months yet they've left the Wii U on the same vulnerable firmware for over a year now?

Nintendo wants to keep the 3DS on the market alongside the Switch in case the Switch is a disaster so they have a fallback. They did the same thing when the original DS came out in 2004. That is to say, they kept the GBA on the market alongside the DS in case the DS was a failure

How flexible is the Wii U compared to a Wii though? Wii has USB Loader GX and Nintendont. I might consider one as a replacement for my existing Wii, but no more than that.

Also that's pathetic that they've already given up on it that badly.

Hey guys, I've gone through the guide linked and installed the Homebrew launcher 1.1.1. I've also installed the latest version of the FBI installer and dropped a .cia onto my memory card.

But it wont let me install anything. When I navigate to a file in FBI it doesn't give me the option to install. Just copy, delete, paste and rename.

Is there something else I need to install for this, or have I missed something obvious? Thanks.

Last I checked you can use the virtual Wii on your WU to use those as well. I remember seeing some bits about Wii U/vWii compatibility when I tried getting USB Loader GX working on my Wii a couple months ago.

Define "install"- are you using the homebrew version of FBI, or do you have it installed as a cia?

Wii U is ded and doesn't have freeshop to tax Nintendo's servers.

I'll be damned, that PSP-1000 nub replacing the C-stick works like a dream.

Do you have a9lh?

Do you play Smash or Monster Hunter? Because I play Monster Hunter and it was abyssmal and awful and shit, but everybody I've seen who likes the PSP stick plays Smash.

k so, got an O3DS that first boots into something called "super r4 3d 10.7" before going into the usual stuff, is this usual on cfw or should i do something else?

I like it with monster hunter. Just make sure you put enough pressure on it to get it in snug.

Play both and it works dandy with Monster Hunter, no camera freak-outs or any control issues. You got it in right? I had it in there a bit loose and jostled at first but once it was snug it was great.

"R4 3D" suggests a 3DS flashcart, just take the cart out and see what happens on boot.

figured it out, thing had r43ds running off the sd(aka: micro sd with an adapter) took it out and boots straight to the main menu. Should i start from there?

Never heard of a flashcart's firmware being booted first and foremost. Is it the emunand partition somehow, or is it just on the SD's root?

damned if i know, but thing boots first the flashcart's OS, does some fancy-shmancy and then goes into the menu with some games, take the sd out and boots normally.

Sounds like Menuhax set to run with no buttons held, boot.3dsx replaced with that of a boot manager's and auto-booting into a CFW, or boot.3dsx replaced with the CFW's itself. Check the "3ds" folder's contents and see what's what there.

So let me get this straight: There's a way to get homebrew on 11.1 without a second 3ds now?

will do tomorrow, getting a sore throat due to sanic winds is dildos.

So Gameyob has started looking completely fucked up when I run it, before even selecting any games. I didn't change any settings, this is out of nowhere. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it still does it. Not sure what to do now except use Retroarch, but I prefer Gameyob on 3ds. Any idea what could be causing this? Google has failed me.

soim trying to use my hacked o3ds to fuck with my new 3ds.
When I try to run steelhax in the HB launcher after doing the dsiware shit, I get the error code 00000002.
Apparently I need an older version of steelhax, at least, that's what I think.

So, does anyone know where to get this older version? The github only has one download link to steelhax, the updated one.

Shit, am I having a different problem?

Also, just wondering, why not use waithax instead of steelhax?

OH SHIT, BELAY ALL THAT

i just had to update my hblauncher… oops

Yeah but only if you have the required DSiware games. I lucked out becuase I had fourswords AND omega ruby so I was able to use basehax to get into the Eshop and redownload fourswords.

As long as you've paid for them, whore

nope

As fucked, yeah. It's a platinum game the fps will drop all day every day. Also PC has better graphics.

Fuck outta here with you dog and leave room for the best

youtu.be/M82PKccJBog

this thread's going well

Ah sorry. I've followed the guide to install A9lh, and I've just copied the FBI install files over to the memory card.

I think I figured it out… FBI's latest version for some reason wouldn't display the install option. I installed the previous version and it's working fine now. Although it wont install the .cia I have because (I think) it's unsigned code, or an unofficial copy or something.

Near as I can tell I need something called Pasta to get it to work?

Is it possible to play DSi Ware from the sd card?

k so, decided to check things out and found a couple things
-the micro sd is labeled as EMUNAND9SD
-the 3ds folder is empty
-root has:
-2 menuhax binaries(pad_cfg and imagedisplay)
-AuReiNand.dat
-boot.3dsx and bohl.3dsx
-hblauncherloader_otherapp_payload_OLD-10-7-0-32-USA.bin
-LAUNCHER.dat(that was in caps)
-screenshots_raw.bin
anywhere i should i start?

So it was formatted with emunand9 at some point or other, it definitely has no-buttons menuhax in place (you can confirm this yourself by holding down a button on boot with the SD card in and seeing what happens, should boot to sysnand). Seems like it's using an Aureinand build with an R43DS splash-screen with the HBL boot.3dsx replaced with the one for aurei. My best guess for "bohl.3dsx" is it's a backup of the HBL boot.3dsx, and this one you can test is by putting the current boot.3dsx elsewhere (or renaming it, whichever) and renaming "bohl.3dsx" to boot.3dsx.

Your system sounds fine to me, just set up strangely and with a CFW that's fairly outdated by this point in time. Luma3DS migration should be no problem, and if bohl.3dsx isn't actually the HBL then you can just grab the starter .zip from Smealum's github.io.

You can redownload four swords if you already own it?

Generally even stuff that's taken down for purchase can be redownloaded from the eShop, it's why you can still pirate those titles with Freeshop or CDN downloaders.

Why do some games run on my R4 but not others?

did you meant to quote me? jfc
PS: fuck that furfaggot.

Whoops, I did. I know for a fact I clicked your post so something must've gotten lost in translation, or I'm dumber than I realize. Either way that's the long and short of it, you've just got an old emunand partition kicking around on that particular 3DS so you can proceed normally however you like. A9LH, change of CFW and updating the emunand partition, up to you.

forgot to mention: this thing already came with a couple of games so i'll just back up the contents and try what you mentioned with the boot.3ds
also: i can't start fresh off a blank sd card, right?

You could start off a blank SD card considering it's already on 9.2 to even have an emunand partition accessible, but you'd have to start from near-scratch and you'd want to carry over that pad_cfg file so menuhax is still operable.

IT'S TIME

There's already a third?

They appear to be a yearly release. Similar to pokemon.

I'd be inclined to do the fire and salt route:
- Power on with SD ejected so you start in sysNAND, and wifi off
- Verify the browser loads and that you're running a 9.2.0 firmware (pretty much guaranteed if it has emuNAND but verify)
- System format
- Format SD card
- Follow 3ds.guide

Not even Pokémon releases that often, the mainline series at least.

But didn't the second generation games release a few months ago?

Tales of the Abyss .CIA won't work for me. But I feel like getting it from the freeshop but it's Japanese only? Is there a English patch for it?

How the hell do you turn in F-zero legacy.

The 2nd games we just got, the dual release like Pokemon, was just the English localisation, I think. So this is just Yo-Kai 3 in Japanese, whkch we'll get in 9 months.

Browserhax doesn't work on 11.1, so my friend will need to resort to smashhax. I found a guide for smashhax, and it's implying he needs to use linux and can't use a VM? The fuck?

Needs to output an extremely-specific wifi frequency to fool the 3DS into thinking it's a local match to connect to. Put Linux on a USB thumb-drive or a CD or something.

Yes. Just install and play like a regular .cia.

Is it safe to update emunand via menuhax? I know A9LH is better, but for the time being would this be safe or will it brick?

If you have luma, probably safe.
Make a backup in case, or just don't update it if you don't need to.

Any good deals on a new 64GB card? I got a refund on my busted one from the seller, but I don't feel like buying from the same seller again. And don't just link to freaking Amazon, the pricing on Amazon isn't a deal, it's the standard.

Try newegg

A bit more progress was made on TWLoader, it now loads a proper cartridge from SD, albeit only some boring Twilight Princess trailer.

I also had a lot more luck with the flash card forwarding stuff, no more errors related to fragmentation of saves. A bunch more games actually seem to work (Rhythm Tengoku Gold, Pokémon HGSS), NSMB actually gets to the "Nintendo" screen now, further than it did on the flash card (gateway blue card piece of crap). Unfortunately none of the 3 Castlevanias work yet. Portrait manages to get to the point of initial save creation but freezes. Dawn and Ecclesia just white screen.

So I noticed one of the dsi titles is guitar rock tour. I missed out on downloading one of the titles but that one specifically I saw inside of a bargain bin at the best buy I work at. Will slowhax work with a physical copy or am i still fucked?

I used BrowserHax to rxTools. I have two SD cards, A and B. A is almost full and B is brand new. Is there a way of having half of my games in one card and the other half in the other?

I'm guessing
I'd say you'd need to put your emunand on both cards and the files to use it. So after you make the emunand partition, just copy everything over that's not the /nintendo_3ds folder, since that's where the games are stored.

Make a backup of your emunand from your SD card A and pass it over to your computer. Use 3ds multinand to format the new SD card and inject the nand into it. Then copy everything necessary over.

Thank you very much!!!

All mine I've gotten from eBay so far, specifically the seller "usbmart" who has pretty good prices, fast shipping and guaranteed legit cards.

You need to fart around on NAND memory to inject the save and allow it to do whatever it pleases so my assumption is the exploit is digital-only.

3ds multinand is a computer program. Use it to skip having to use the 3ds to format the SD.
gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/

Already downloading it! I think I can take it from here. Again, thank you all!! I love you!

No problem, now get out. You obviously don't belong here.

Well fuck me, time to break out my soldering kit

Anyone know if I can use this to install the E.U. tickets and play the result with Hans?

Because unlike other scenes, the 3ds is a clusterfuck of outdated and unindexed information. Can't even search for shit because you'll always get some thread from who knows how long, with a method that might not even be relevant anymore. Can you believe that I found only yesterday that yes, the Acekard 2i works again on Luma, and that's because of some random dude asking if he could make the compatibility better? Last time I checked, the Acekard was a big maybe, and nowhere in the changelog does it mention which flashcarts work and which do not.

I rest my case.

anyone got that pic with the 3ds reccomended games?

Here you go mahu.

Stale information persists in every hacking scene. However, for the core of entrypoint and CFW, 3ds.guide is state-of-the-art. Our OP is reasonably up-to-date for a few other critical pieces of info. For those parts there is no excuse. For questions like yours, that's why the thread exists!

i think not!

github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues

Report it and get it fixed.

See

I'm not the guy who asked about emuNAND. I already have a9lh+Luma installed and I've been there since the start of the scene when you could only install legit .cias with black-screen FBI, and even though I keep myself as updated as possible, it's still a clusterfuck. For Gamecube, Ps2, Dreamcast, PS3, PSP, Xbox and Wii, it was really easy to get going. Information was readily available, updated regularly and stickied when necessary. So much so that there was very little need to ask questions as everything was very well organized and documented. 3ds? Shit's like modding Morrowind in current year. Have fun looking around the net and finding years old threads and information that's no longer relevant or even dangerous. That one thing you want to do? Yeah it's possible, by using this obscure CFW/App that no one fucking bothered to index on the Hombrew apps list or CFW list. What's that? Feature list? Sure, here's a non-exhaustive list. Oh and it can also do X and Y but I forgot to mention that. Teehee!

Did anyone here know that we'll be running some DS roms that need to write to the cart by Christmas? Probably not, unless you bothered going to the TWLoader thread on gbatemp, page 47, second post on the page (post #6936018 sitewide).

When you get a dude asking about fucking Pasta CFW of all things, there's a problem.

is there way to put own wallpapers in 3ds without hacks?

Not without hacks, no sir.

offtopic:
if data transfer from micro sd to micro sd is a mere copy+paste. What's stopping us to copy+pasting downloaded games from the eshop?

t. noob 3ds faggot

encryption mumbo jumbo

OK let's talk about improvements! Firstly, 3ds.guide, in my view it's fine for the basics every 3DS needs (entrypoint, CFW+updater, CIA installer, NAND manager) minor errors notwithstanding. Then we have our OP that reiterates that a bit and covers some important piracy-related stuff and FAQs. Maybe needs a bit of tidy-up but you can't be exhaustive in a thread OP, so maybe some of that needs to be expanded on elsewhere too. Individual tools (hourglass9, Luma3DS, etc) have their own documentation but some of these may need some improvement. What else needs covering?
- Theming (CHMM2, maybe how to make custom themes?)
- VC injection
- TWLoader
- Useful homebrew utilities/games
- The sacrificial ritual for unbanning a 3DS
- A few common issues (good SD cards and how to format them, clearing the icon cache if H&S looks like FBI, etc.)
What else do you recommend? Note that this thread exists for asking questions, so don't bloat it with every little edge case unless it's common.

I don't even know how that poster got to an FBI that can't install stuff. Not following the CFW install part of the guide? But there's also not a lot you can do about stale guides.

Yeah I posted about it actually, somehow the video got stuck on a later post too.

Anyone has a .cia for A-Train 3D: City Simulator? Seems interesting but pretty pricey for something I'm not sure will enjoy. Can't find it at 3dsiso either.

I have a Smash Bros cart from launch (meaning it's not pre-installed with v1.1.4), but apparently I updated it at some point. If I erase all data on it will it go back to before 1.1.3 so I can use it as an entry point?

Nevermind, I realized it's only for New 3DSs anyway.

Better question then: I'm on 11.1 on an Old 3DS and I can't use any entry points (don't have a 2nd 3DS or any of the eshop titles). Should I update and get of those entry eshop titles, or wait for something that doesn't need one?

(I don't know which ones are even still available on the eshop since I can't enter it without upgrading.)

Unless you really want to go online, just stay on your current one.

It's a shame, because if I had gotten one of those eshop game I could be trying the new slowhax method. I'm concerned that newer methods might still ask for an entry point while Nintendo releases more system updates in the meanwhile.

I suppose it's a gamble either way.

maybe we should open a google docs so that editing the OP and sharing edited OPs are easier

my 3DS came 100% updated (to my knowledge), is it possible or will it be possible in the future to homebrew?

I assume the version shown in the system settings is the version? 11.2.0-35U if that's important

Homebrew can be done way more easily, so yes.
CFW, not yet but I'd guess yes in due time.

You pretty much nailed most of it. Off the top of my head, I think we really ought to mention what NOT to use anymore.

HELP

Well, it is. Saw Freakyforms for €10 in the shops the other day and already had Cubic Ninja myself.

No. There is an undub cia.
Just give another cia a try.

But it installs it in the system memory and not the sd card.

Any automated tools for building SNES cias before I go ahead with the more manual method I found?

Oh, nice, seems this was actually released just today. gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-vc-injector-for-3ds.453891/

The undub version keeps crashing every time I try to install it.

It seems all the .cia's are the same one cause they all crash. I got them from 3dsiso and they seem to apparently copy each others .cia's

Each time I try to inject an FBI file it fails. What did I do wrong?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Payloads extracted to the "a9lh" folder, or do you just have them in those directories labeled for each payload? They're supposed to be in a9lh.

This is how it currently is.

Then they're still in their folders, files should be loose in a9lh.

Where am I supposed to find the .bin and .bin.sha files?

github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases/tag/17/10

Looks like you downloaded the source code and not the actual binaries/useable payloads.

11.2 still fucked?

Yup, SOL unless you've got appropriate DSiWare on a second piracy-capable 3DS.

Works now. Thanks for helping a blind retard.

Thanks, Homie.

Good point. That would be outdated CFW and related concepts (CakesFW, rxTools and "Pasta mode", (Au)ReiNand), any 3DS flash cards, emuNAND/redNAND, useless entry points (tubehax, Gateway anything), any bad tools. Also generally, making sure to download up-to-date tools from the original source, normally this is Github.

Other things to document:
- Program types (HBL .3dsx, A9LH .bin, and CIA, well, .cia)
- NTR, hopefully not for long though.
- Migrating from older hacks, some can just follow parts of 3ds.guide but Gateway for example needs special note (save file backup, not restoring Gateway emuNANDs, and that glitch with H&S injection)

He could send it to someone for hardmodding too, that's probably more sensible.

I'm on freeshop now and it's not letting me download certain games. How do I play games that require me to update my firmware?

By updating your firmware of course.

Wouldn't that make it to where I can't use my homebrew and pirated games?

A9LH or Emunand? Perfectly safe to update either one but emunand requires a couple of safety-checks before you do so. Either way all you do is update in System Settings from your CFW.

Well why don't you tell us about your setup.

You can try ctr-httpwn. If you have a gateway it also spoofs the fw.

A9LH. I think
I just followed this guide.
3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax

Then you missed the bit where it tells you to update sysNAND with the big glowing "YES THIS IS SAFE STOP ASKING". Be sure to keep Luma3DS up-to-date too though.

If you're A9LH (hold start/select to load an arm9 payload ie Hourglass9 almost instantly on boot) then do as described, just update from system settings as though you were doing it on a normal system.

So it's not like the vita to where if you update you're fucked?

No sir, biggest benefit to 3DS CFW is that Nintendo can't fuck your shit if you go about it wisely. Perfectly and completely safe to update your software from inside a CFW as a general rule of thumb, just make sure you do it from the System Settings menu.

It can be. There's a few ways to accidentally update sysNAND with an emuNAND-based setup (from eShop, through cartridges supposedly and by ending up in sysNAND, mainly through exiting the settings menu). Also Gateway's A9LH didn't do FIRM protection of any sort, so an update broke you. Not sure if it's still true.

I believe there's some possible holes with an A9LH system (FIRM write protection is a find-replace on certain addresses, and that they could modify arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card or in ctrnand) but Nintendo are unlikely to try that.

trying to migrate an o3ds xl with emunand and rx tools to a9lh. However, on the decrypt9 step, it keeps loading into emunand9 instead. do i need to remove anything?

nvm, I'm a moron

Exactly
The way A9HL works is as follows;
-After the bootloader(which is in ROM) is started it loads the Initial Program Loader, this is patched during the A9HL setup to load a custom binary at boot instead of carrying along the boot process like normal.

The binary it looks for is a secondary program loader. During the A9HL setup 2 of these are created, one on the root of the SD card and the other at the root of CTR NAND. They both do identical things (in this case it carries on the boot process in Luma3DS mode) It will look for the binary on the SD first and if this is not found it will then look at the root of CTR NAND.

There is essentially multiple layers of protection here, Luma3DS mode runs patches in memory to ensure Nintendo cannot overwrite the binary in CTR NAND.

Secondly, the A9HL Initial Program Loader cannot be overwritten by any means when the 3DS is running after it has been installed. Even if Nintendo does delete the A9HL binary from CTR NAND itself literally a matter of booting the 3DS with the binary at the root of the SD and copying back over again

I gave my old 3ds to my sister like 5 months ago, and downloaded her pokemon the other day, but now she'd like to play online, problem is that she can't because the console runs on an old as shit emuNAND (Rxtools 10.7).
I barely remember anything about all this shit, is it safe to update emuNAND through the system options? Is Rxtools even supported anymore? Alternatively is there a way to spoof the firmware in order to play online?
pls help

rxTools is well and truly depreciated. The fast fix would be to replace it with Luma3DS and then yes, you can update (only through system settings and after verifying you're in emuNAND). If you've got a bit more time though I recommend going through the relevant bits of 3ds.guide to end up with A9LH+Luma3DS, doubly so if your sis can't into technology.

This guy is right. It's really worth it, I like the boot time the best.

What good unofficial games/apps should I download ? Like fan games, unofficial ports, fan made translations, usefull applications etc…

Also, what am I supposed to download to play the Doom 3DS port exactly ? I just see guides to make it work on computers.

ctrhexen2 is an OK port if you like Hexen II but there's a few bugs related to sound, and you're best running it through HBL (kinda second-rate on an A9LH system). There's one for Quake as well but I haven't tried it, or the PrBoom port.

Is there an English patch for Etrian Odyssey V?

Dont think so, but I know Monster Hunter had a patch like 1 week after it was released in Japan somehow.

More than likely never. American fanbase isn't that big apparently.
Which sucks because i really want to play the game

mon hun has a legion of fans
also i never got it to work. for some reason everything stayed in moon

Etrian Odyssey V wouldn't be that hard to translate , would it? I've only played the first two, but they're not exactly dialogue heavy games.

Also from what I found, it's not exactly like it did too bad here. IV's sales were around 100k retail in the states and half of that in Europe.. For a game that would cost almost nothing to translate, it doesn't seem like it would be a bad investment to bring V over here in the states and other English speaking countries.

Doubtful that anyone would bother since Atlus always localizes the Etrian Odyssey games. And as you mentioned, the dialogue is usually sparse, so if you really want to play it now just use a skill/menu guide.

Anyone have a scan of Pokemon Moon's cover? (front, back, and side)

I can take a picture but I got no scanner.

Stolen from cuckchan, but here's a cia of Pokémon Prism.

my.mixtape.moe/rgipdh.cia

Thanks, user I appreciate the offer but I need a scan.
I cracked my nieces 2DS and downloaded Moon and some other games for her.
I'm gonna print out the covers and put them in cases so she'll have something she can actually open on Christmas morning.

Newer, possibly better .cia as in probably capable of trading, though I do not plan on testing that

mega(dot)nz/#!hkZlxCLJ!WvmMvh_ARpgB7A8ydLyESMTRKjSsnG6KjA1mK0DLugU

What's the deal with Prism? I see people talking about how great it was/would of been, but never a feature list or pictures.

You could use this one.

It's very similar to how normalfags defend people that commit suicide after being bullied.

It's could work but it's missing the side and back of the cover

Gonna ask for help one last time, and it's actually something pretty serious. Keeping it short due to time constraints.

There's a distinct possibility that I may need to dig into the 3DS itself and fix it, but I'm hoping you guys might know of an answer before I decide to take a screwdriver, some tools, and take the risk of turning my 3DS into a piece of junk forever. Advice?

Got a new 3ds on 11.0. I'm going to do the system transfer method. Any reason I shouldn't just update it to 11.2?

A system update is necessary to even do a system transfer, there's also an enforced once-per-week limit on doing so. I don't actually know how it's enforced but CFW can't get around it.

It's possible something went wrong when doing the hacks, just for example, on my old N3DSXL when it was running themehax and Gateway, 3D would not focus until I closed and reopened it, then it magically worked.

If you got an early NAND backup you could try restoring that through hourglass9 without losing A9LH and seeing how it looks. If it's hardware-related I wouldn't have a clue.

Can't say I've heard of this before, but perhaps the ribbon cables for your camera fell out over time, and it's just coincidental?
If so, watch 2 or 3 videos on O3DS deconstruction. Always watch multiples so you can see how they all do it and familiarise yourself with what it should look like from various angles.

Cameras are connected by ribbon cables. A bit tricky, but easy enough to insert back in if they've failed. If they're broken, you'd have to send it to Nintendo, but they'd likely jew you and update SysNAND to 11.2.
If you do send to Nintendo, I'd recommend moving up to A9LH and installing the payload into CTR-NAND for SD-less booting.

As the other user said, though, restoring to a previous EmuNAND backup solves a lot of issues.

You can use ctr-httpwn to transfer with old firmware. There doesn't seem to be much difference in downgrading 11.0 and 11.2 systems, but I thought I'd check first.

Unfortunately I don't have any NAND backups from way back.

I'll go look at 3ds deconstruction videos. Wish me luck.

Sorry disregard my post
you can apparently block the system update requirement, 3ds.guide even tells you how to.

Life is suffering. Apparently games run a lot faster now and have better load times, but they can't support saves, yet.
They promised Christmas, though.

Good luck, user.
Make a backup after you're done.

Excuse my laziness to look this up myself, but is DSiWare downgrading still thing?
I just finished backing up my pokemon to a physical card and read somewhere earlier that nintendo won't transfer dummy accounts and that they even pulled a dsiware title from the eshop.
I just want cfw on my n3ds instead of my clunky xl

Hopefully it's done by time I get to the MMZ games in my playthrough of all the Mega Man games. Right now I'm on MM7

DSidowngrades are possible still. Check the guide, follow the prompts for your specific model and do as it says.

They pulled a bunch of the exploitable games, but now you can use any DSi game, more or less, to do it.

Not any. The hack has requirements on the game and the save data size. 3ds.guide documents this though.

DSiWare downgrading is a thing, still. If you've already bought one of the compatible DSiWare titles there's nothing Nintendo can do about it (it'll get transferred over because it's legit) but you're SOL for that if you don't have one already.

Good taste user. Zero 4's the best of the series, Zero 3 can rot

I've played all of them before just never in a big marathon like this. The only new games I'd be playing IF i play them are X7, X8, and Command Mission. I remember like Zero 1 the best out of the Zero games.

X7 is mediocre (pretty bad but not as bad as it's given credit for), X8 I'd put above X5 for quality even though its music isn't very memorable besides the Orbital Elevator's tune and Ride Armor's tune, Command Mission is a fantastic RPG the whole way around and all the party members made for it are pretty damn good, Massimo's my favorite of the new bunch.

Zero 1's shaky but a good starting point, Zero 2 improves a good deal on what Zero started and introduces copy abilities, Zero 3 I honestly consider one of the lowest points of the whole series based entirely on how half-assed the final boss is alone (along with it being Inafune trying to prematurely end the fucking series again with a "climactic" final battle like he did with X5), Zero 4 gets its shit together by tying the RPS elements to saber and buster skills so there's a reason to use them and by not penalizing you for upgrading at all via Cyber-Elves, only if you try to upgrade beyond what you're actually capable of at the moment.

I just remember like Zero 1 the best because it was the simplest and I really liked the whole thing with "X" becoming the villain. Zero 2-4 are by no means bad but they didn't really stick with me like Zero 1 did.

Happened when I removed SD card.
I thought I bricked it.
Returning SD card got everything working again.

That's fair, Zero 1's definitely got the most charm of the series if you ask me. Scratchy/"rough" artstyle, dealing from the get-go with friends and heroes dying, and a nice simplicity to it along with a story-reason for why Zero needs to remember how the hell he fought before.

So I got my n3DS CFW by some guy. He told me not to use the NNID.
He said he used his o3DS NNID to transfer to my n3DS and of course he can't get it back.

What now? I want to use NNID, but I also don't want to make the guy lose his.

Could just log out of the NNID and let him log back into it on his 3DS, or just do the system transfer again in the opposite direction after a week or whenever it is you can transfer again.

Does he just want you to wait a week so he can transfer all his shit back? Or just you're never allowed to use a NNID on your 3DS?

From what I understand, since it was an o3DS to n3DS, he can't get it back even if we waited a week, and he can get it back when he buys his own n3DS. I told him to just tell me when he gets one.

That was retarded. I'm not sure if you can system transfer it back to an O3DS through calling Nintendo, what he should've done is got an N3DS to system transfer it back to after another week, or done the hardware flash method that doesn't need any of those shenanigans.

A9LH is a very simple bootloader.
FBI can copy a payload to ctrnand, as can godmode9.

Ouch, I'd forgotten that N3DS -> O3DS system transfers are impossible. When's he planning to buy a N3DS?

He told me he couldn't do hardmod due to my n3DS board being different from the usual.

I didn't do hardmod myself because IDK how. I could do rooting for Android, sure, but not soldering.

He said soon™. Probably gonna wait a few months, since he did the thing, and message then.

Oh well that sucks there's nothing you can do then unless you wanna be an asshole.

System format will unlink your NNID, but I have no idea if that'd retain any games associated with the account. You could back up your save data and your games as cia files (pretty sure Decrypt9/Hourglass9 can dump games as cias for easy reinstallation), system format through system settings with your SD card out so it doesn't format that too, then have him log back into his account.

He's lying, but that doesn't really matter now. Should have asked questions like this before you let somebody fuck with your hardware.

so can i or cant i cfw a n3ds on 11.2 firmware? im new to the ds cracking scene too so fuck your circlejerk terms

Read the OP you useless faggot.

as much as i'd like to do that, check my my posts with ID 16f8cc, this thing has games and it's not mine

did what you told me, booted into homebrew launcher, still using the r4 3ds thing

also: since i'm completely lost on how to upgrade to luma
wat do

Here you go :^)

Did the freeShop suddenly stop working for anybody else? I just tried to get on it today and it's crashing with unspecified errors when it gets to the "Loading game list…" stage. I was just on it a few days ago and downloaded games just fine.

Weird, crashing for me too.

I set up a9lh a while ago, and seem to remember that there shouldn't be an issue with doing system updates. Is that still true? Is there anything to watch out for now? Any issues with new games? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't want to make a dumb mistake.

I just got it "working" again by deleting the entire freeShop directory in /3ds/data. However it crashed again as soon as I downloaded the title keys. I wonder if it's a problem with the latest title key download?

Well I've got no inclination to learn or care about old themehax+emuNAND setups. If he only cares about saves then those can be backed up with JKSM before doing the clear. Games can be trivially reinstalled afterwards through Freeshop.

Updating is fine.

Confirming.

I just ran through it again, it's definitely the title keys causing it to crash. I tried updating them using a URL, updating them using a QR code, and manually downloading them on a PC and moving them into the keys folder. Each time it caused the thing to crash.

Maybe report it to the site, it could be a broken or sabotaged key file.

I haven't got a clue how to contact the owner of that site, but the issue has already been commented on at the freeShop's github page. Guy with an old title keys file in backup tried using it and it worked fine, so it's confirmed that it's the new title keys file.

i only care to update the thing while keeping the games.

Games are disposable when you can reinstall them easily. Heck, he's probably got the CIAs still if it was done prior to Freeshop/CIAnagel so it's not even gonna need redownloading.

nope, checked the thing, no cias in it

Probably a stupid question, but can I play online with the latest A9LH and Luma?

Before you respond, keep in mind that it's not nice to bully the mentally challenged

Yes

Thank you

Thanks for the responses.
I'm almost done with getting cfw running on my new 3ds, my only question now is what files do I NEED to keep on my sd card for shit to work properly? I have a bunch of leftover shit on my sd card from old 3ds and its pretty cluttered.

3ds.guide tells you this.

shit sorry, I should have mentioned that I recall there being something at the end of the guide last time I did this.
Thanks for the quick response user