Weird question, but do you guys have a particular fighting style that you like...

Weird question, but do you guys have a particular fighting style that you like? When you pick up a fighting game or choose a class, do you gravitate toward a character that has a certain way of attacking? For some reason I like it when a katana welding character returns the blade to its sheath after executing a combo. No idea what it is called, but I like it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu
uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ecky-Thump
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I used to pick classes or characters that dealt damage over time, especially if the game can involve killing multiple enemies. I would still probably pick that kind of character, but I'd try other characters as well even as my first choice.

I like characters that punch things really fast, really hard.
Possibly using fist weapons.
Some grappling and pile driving motherfuckers into the ground is also very welcome.

Also OP i've got a gift for you.

Generally in fighting games I either pick a busted zoner or someone who has longer difficult combos. In melee I play falco so I get the best of both which is nice. I don't prefer either to each other but I do prefer them together.

Iaifag? Fedoraite? :^)

And related to OP; either stealth archery or a hexblade. Bonus points if I can stealth hexblade.

Poisoned weapons, it's very nice to hurt one guy and pass to the next one while the first dies on his own.
What games have good poison mechanics?

Called battojutsu, iai, iaido, and a couple other names OP, but I too am a whore for keeping a sword sheathed unless striking.

I'm a fan of jumping spearfighters or just spearfighting in general, Dragoons are one of my favorite classes in pretty much any game. I also like heavy-hitting heavily-armored knights along the lines of Dark Knights and the archetypal paladin. Also pure down-and-dirty street brawling like what Armstrong's got.

A polearm-wielder of any sort. No magic is a bonus - just someone who uses his wits and skill to get by.
You fucking weebfag

Fencing, always. I really like twirling around and poking people with rapiers for some reason. Heavy swords/axes or punch-focused martial arts are also great though.

I always go in with the hand-based weapons. Nothing's cooler than savagely beating someone to death with your bare hands.

Iai-do

And it really depends on what game. Generally in fightan games I prefer characters that have a good combination between ranged and melee.

Unarmed fighters.

>tfw you have a quarry to settle

In fighting games I tend to pick characters that have an element of chaos to them.

So either characters who have some ability that is random in nature, or characters that thrive on misdirection and fakeouts.

As far as ARPG's like Dark souls I tend to stick to polearms and a estoc side weapon. That ways I have good AOE and if I need it the precision of a sword.

what games actually have fencing, though?

Mario and Sonic at Olympic Games

Technically, Persona 4 Arena and UNIEL, and more accurately, Soul Calibur. But none of them are pure fencing games.

actually Soul Caliber is a game that is most like a fencing match (considering I've actually done a few myself) where there are no combos and it's all about entry pressure play.

*teleports behind u*
hufufu

Nice trips. There are combos in that game though, but you are correct in that it's pressure heavy and reading your opponent more often than something like Mahvel with touch of death.

Honorable mention for spears/halberds/staves. Anything 2fast5me and stabby/flashy/sneaky is reserved for later playthroughs.
Magic a shit.

I almost always go for the zoner. The more bullshit that I can put on the screen, and force you to deal with, the better. I also like the lolsorandumb resident "insane" character. Characters I really like are: Peacock, Faust, Justice, Necro, Arakune, Yoshimitsu

Melee or short blade and shield.

Any game that does not have these options is immediately dropped. I will play nothing else, except for, on a later playthrough if there is one at all, I will then use archery only.

Anyone that uses magic deserves to be shot on sight. Magicfags are the worst kind of people, and need to be prevented from playing video games.
If you use magic in PvP games, you deserve worse punishment, you deserve being forced to play Brian Wu's """game""".

And Cable. How the fuck could I forget Cable?

Well, I'm usually just looking for some combination of fast walkspeed/movement, generally good attacks with some range to them, a lunge of some sort and a counter/evade -> strike move. I want to dance around my opponent's active range, bait out an attack whiff and punish it. Rapier users or fencers tend to have this sort of gameplan - which is why I go for them if there's one - but they're not the only ones who can do this.

the one where i go fucking fast

GitGudCasual**

Jesus fucking Christ user have mercy!

Charge moves. Lots of charge moves for massive damage. Like the fist weapon in dmc 1.

Nah, I just hate cunts that run around spamming 50 fireballs thinking they're anywhere near decent at the same game I play where I have to manually clear a tower, room by room, individually attacking each enemy.

No.

Not only OP is a faggot like usual, but also a fedorafag that can't into Internet searches:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu

That's not really the fault of the player. If a game's magic system is effectively a crutch for casuals that's just bad game design. DaS is one of my favourite games but magic is absolutely a pleb tier crutch.

If I had designed the game, the pyromancy flame would have been an effective weapon that connecting hits on enemies charged a bar for using special pyromancy techniques. Magic would have used fatigue, not used homing missiles of any type, casting a spell would typically be as fast as an attack, and spell design would focus on melee/short-range.

A game that does magic effectively is the Grimrock series. Spells have a hefty cooldown, and as time goes by the best spells are the ones under utility that stops an enemy on their tracks so you can focus on others or regroup.

Yes. I normally follow these steps.

I mean, you're not technically wrong, but it's kind of mediocre, excluding invisibility+assassination cheese, since defense buffs are situational and unlocked late in magic tree and damage is barely on par with physical classes. Or are you talking about second game? Haven't played it yet.

In fighting games I like characters with tricky stuff and general movement options. I didn't even realise but I have a habit of gravitating towards zoners too, something about screen pollution is fun.

no but i gravitate towards underdog characters so i have an excuse when i lose

"Iaido"
Pic related is great example of the style

Absolutely love dual swords. Both for myself and my adversaries. Sickest shit is when both me and boss are dual wielding long swords/memetanas/anything that aren't tiny pussy ass daggers.
Bonus points for each sword glowing different color.

I like the Iaido style too. Hibiki from Last Blade is a good example (and Johnny from GG).
I also prefer sword-and-board with a secondary ranged weapon (preferably a bow but a sling also works). Magic users can go to hell. Filthy scum. Probably consort with elves too.

Basically pic.
I just love to be unmovable force that slowly but steadily grind through enemies.

I always love to play Tank but I hate to deal no damage. So I always stack as much defenses as I can without lowering my damage too much.
Especially love when I can deal damage using my defensive stats or other synergies.

If I were to pick a game which did it best I would say Path Of Exile with build around blocking.
You have a lot of skills that are used automatically when you block and with gem system and this game is solely based around synergies between passives, supports and skills.

knight detected

wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I like the brawler type that throws haymakers and doesn't give a fuck, or failing that boxing is also really cool.
If it comes to weapons I really don't have a favourite, I'll chose whatever looks coolest.
If we're talking about gameplay style then it's either high-pressure offense-is-the-best-defense bullshit or hit and run.

Yeah. I go full mental bliss on fast paced dodging counter attacking battles. Furi could be on my best list, but that game eats my inputs like popcorn. Now only (any) DMC on higher difficulties work. Platinum just knows how to make that kind of game play really good. Hoping for Bayonetta ports…

Other kind I like is slow high risk high position based combat. Nothing comes to mind right now. But if I get to choose, like in RPGs, I mostly pick the "knight" or equivalent. It always has the things I like: counterattacks, blocks, slow charged attacks and positioning matters.

what kind of hit and run do you mean. surgical strikes or "teehee im gonna tickle you to death =3" because thats either cool or infuriating

Wait, why does the steamroller have wheels? Wouldn't the wheels make grooves in the smoothed concrete/asphalt/etc. that was just flattened by the actual rolling part?

look at the filename, its chinese

When it comes to fighting games I always gravitate toward the Villains.
Which is odd since in any game with moral choices i'm always the goodie two shoes "yes I will donate the max amount of money" kind of guy.

I guess I like being powerful my play style is mostly deal as much damage as fast as possible. Enemies can't hurt me if their dead before they can attack.

I like anything that involves mid range zoning.
Too many games are either about bum rushing when they aren't about long range kiting.
There's no better feeling than keeping your enemy in this sweet spot.

It's more of a learning timings and capitulating on mistakes to go in and attack when I think it's safest, so yeah I guess it'd be on the first category. Not that it makes the second any less hilarious

Not quite, but Monster Hunter (any) with slower weapons is amazingly good. Landing those heavy hits just right, and stunning the biggest monsters is so rewarding. grind is full of shit tier in those games though, just don't do it helps

Whatever has the punchiest punches.
There is no better feeling than killing a guy with one punch/swing/shot.
Sniper weapons don't count because sniping is for bitches.
Bonus points if it can get multikills or is a revolver.

I LIKE BIG SWORDS AND I CANNOT LIE

I really like ranged melee, spears, two hand axes, anything that can hit at medium range, in fighting games ilike character with long footsies that can get in and get out with ease

This is very acceptable

Grapplers 4 evah

whatever you call Hwoarang's fighting style, that. Long, irritating, difficult to avoid/block but easy to execute combos that can also be changed mid-combo if they're blocking high for your ← + HK combo, simply ← + LK and start the juggle

i meant LK/RK respectively i am retarded please rape my face

Ice mage > electric mage> archer > healslut

I'm biased towards characters that throw energy at people or use psychic powers, especially if they're a robot or a floating suit of armor or something. They tend to have my favorite playstyle too, which is getting up in your opponent's face and forcing them to make mistakes, then capitalizing on them. Not aggression like hard rushdown, but pressuring them into letting you just all-in their ass.

So usually it's a tanky character with more mobility than other tanks or a rushdown character with good aggressive zoning tools.

Skateboard-based combat. Mobility and flow is essential, tricks allow a style element and high damage brutish attacks. It has everything. Roller blade-based combat characters are missing the point (Shadow the Hedgehog, Lucio, and even Jet Set Radio). Why do you think everyone likes City Escape the most?

Slow powerhouses, and characters who are still strong but have slightly faster attacks with more movement options.
Not a huge deal, I don't like pure DEX shit, but I very much prefer Leo to Big Bull in Anarchy Reigns, for example. He still hits relatively hard, certainly harder than some of the fast characters like Ai Rin, but he's not pure speed.

It's a particular style though, like I play GreatSword in Monster Hunter, the slowest weapon by far. Also in general I like games with responsive controls, and I don't mean "good/functional" like most people refer to, I mean games unless the attack/input's drawback is committing to a long windup/animation, you can always cancel out of shit into something else. Think like DMC and old Treasure games.

Guessing you liked Picky in Fighting Vipers, then?

I still have yet to find a good game that lets me become a master of Ecky Thump.

Thief, you fucking idiot, everyone knows that.

Never played it.

Then PLAY IT.
Combat is shit and you die in 2-3 hits, so the most effective way to get rid of (well, living) enemies in the game is to sneak up behind them and hit them in the back of the head with a blackjack.

Grappler.
Bonus points if people you play get butthurt because they don't know how to deal with getting grabbed. Though the main reason I play them is their slow, methodical gameplay that relies on good defense and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake.

That isn't a blackjack in the video. It's black pudding sausage.

Ecky Thump is a ancient Lancashire martial art of using a black pudding sausage. Not some blackjack like a thug.

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ecky-Thump

Feels SCII Raphael, man. Counters so good, attacks with sidestepping, superb at closing large gaps on the offensive, and a shit ton of flashy moves that aren't really any good but you throw them in once in a while anyway.

I think he had a problem with folks doing a lot of sidestepping or rolling around, but god damn.

I like playing at mid range and generally making aggro. and taunting then punishing an easily read move. Playing against my friends in Sm4sh I usually taunt a lot and punish when they come to get me or taunt next to me (my friends aren't great at Sm4sh).
I like bluffing and make large use of the chat to tilt enemy players into bad moves or fake them out into doing something dumb, like telling people you fucked up in the teambuilding and forgot something to bait them on Showdown.
Obviously I love Bayonetta because it lets me do all of these things.

I like close range "Human weapon" fighting styles. More specifically I mean characters and classes that are geared towards having their strength not mostly on their weapons, complex techniques, or magic, but rather their sheer body mass and how hard they swing or throw themselves at you. Characters and fighting styles that require themselves to be big guys in order to use big weapons are fine too.

Reminder that lolis belong to normalfags now.

I am but I will not going to play multiplayer games

Oh dear god Lucas what were you thinking?

The better question is why would anyone care about what the character's sexuality is? Unless it's a major theme of the game, It rarely adds anything of significance to the character or the lore

Yes really. Great reveal.

i remember analyzing that trailer frame by frame
i miss my mw2 bros

You mean the fact that all their talent has left to other studios?

GREAT CHOICE-BASED PLOT-DRIVEN GAME YOU GOT THERE

Are the harvest moon/sos games good in your opinion?

But Vulkan performs worse than DX11.

You sound fucking delusional.