Black and White 2

Hey fam, let's just create a game where the AI would be completly useless if it wasn't for:

I did a test with the Vikings and Japanese. I found out that the Viking guy doesn't even capture your home city, which makes the first mission IMPOSSIBLE to lose and the first japanese guy even if you feed him hundreds of your own people through deliberately giving them to the Sirene, he still is not able to build up his city.

I did all these tests without manipulating the time ever (I used to always do daylight to see better). Sometimes I even gave them free nights to breed more.

The last Japanese mission was probably the worst example I've ever seen. The Builder brother ironically is completly unable to build his city, because a complete lack of population and population growth. Same with the Militaryfag.

Keep in mind I did those tests while also playing the game on a self-imposed challenge which forbids the use of any wonders of the creature (I kept him chained up on some remote place and forbid him from attack the enemy).

I am so fucking done with this game. Maybe I am ready to play the addon like this too, but I hate how evil alignment changes to texture to the same ugly lava everywhere and makes everything look so ugly. Not comfy at all.

The only thing I remember about this game is that I would sometimes accidentally hurt my creature which would lead me to petting him for like two minutes because I felt bad.

I played through this game like at least 10 times if not more.

I remember everything.

I am still wondering about that weird random encounter on the third tutorial island, the one right before the proper viking mission.

On top of that giant mountain I saw a guy sitting on a bank and 2 children running up to him, poking him and hiding again.

I still have no idea what it was and I never saw it again for that one time.

That was a funny little easteregg, I always wondered if there was more to it, like a secret mission, but I doubt it.

Never liked 1 or 2.

Building cities is nice.

Conquering cities + creating a maximum happy and efficent and aesthetic looking city masterrace here.

Sometimes I conquer cities, expand on the native buildings and give it back to the enemy (as a test see above). Or I replace them completly with greek buildings.

Sometimes I genocide the native population, sometimes I don't.

Also you should try to play with the aztec mod. It's really cool, you get to play as the aztec. :3

Sim City
Civilization
Pass

But it's turn-based. D:

rip lionhead

they deserved it desu

All I ever wanted from Popolous, Dungeon Keeper to Fable and Black & White was some difficulty options.

But that fucking nigger Peter Molyneux just doesn't want to add them in. Popolous is maybe the only game that was a step above the kind of games they produced in difficulty, which made it fun.

All the other games suffer from a severe lack of difficulty.

FFS I don't even know what happens when you die in Fable 1. I know that later they even removed death, but even in the first it was completly impossible to ever die.

don't they take men out of your population when you make them?

Not for the AI, they just spawn out of thin air. They don't even need the barracks to make armies, if you smash it up it still happens.

B&W 1 was good but flawed. B&W 2 was an abomination that sacrificed everything good in 1, including the whole theme of indirect action, to fit in bad RTS elements.

age of empires 2

kys

Of course you need grain, iron and population to build platoon, but the enemy doesn't.

I really liked Black and White 2. I have yet to play 1, but you can build a really comfy city.

Did anyone ever just mod this into a decent game? Or even B&W 1 for that matter.

No. Most mods are lost now. Most mods are purely cosmetic or just adjust the game on a basic level.

There are some campaign mods, but I never tried those. Maybe I should. Some I remember promised an advanced AI.

But again, most mods were lost through the shutdown of some modsites (rip)

I was actually interested in the game the remnants of lionhead were making without molyneux to fuck them over
shame they closed the studio

Meh, I still enjoyed 2 even with all its flaws.
It was still comfy and unique.

Heres the mod I remember the most

Never played the sequel, that sounds cheap as fuck. I vaguely recall the first one being fairly easy to cheese if you were so inclined. There's nothing else quite like B&W is there though?

Nope
I just wanted more games like this but the industry decided that eating shit was more important.

Thought so, really drawing a blank aside from things that are pretty much just virtual pet simulators.

At leasy building games are making a comeback.

Probably for the best, considering how the second turned out, but the concept had potential.
What direction would the third have taken?
More complex military units? Expanded economies?
I always assumed they'd add new, cavalry/pike/crossbow/gunpowder/wizard units and lose the feel of the original altogether.

The second game would have been goat if it had a modding tool, multiplayer, non campaign single player maps and an AI.

I

I have never played either one, which should I play?

That's more or less what I've wanted through the years, even if it no longer resembles Black & White 1 very much in being a better Black & White 2. Just add the Belief system and B&W1 non-murder miracles back in addition to more murder miracle variety, add more than a handful of civilizations, add some more variety to creatures than giant anthropomorphs with mythical monsters & monstrous humanoids and Hercules-tier mortals, and add enough units or a modular equipment system so that it isn't a trinary system of creature beats swordsmen beats archers beats creature, and round it off with the wall height/thickness system that was originally intended for 2 and a Rome: Total War 1 unit physics system instead of 2's horrible bootleg Warscape style dueling. Classical through early medieval era pike & shot warfare with a vaguely period accurate monster manual vomited all over the battlefield, plus wizards and angry godheads throwing lightning and fire. It should be funded, and therefore never will be.

Of course keep expanding on pre-existing mechanics. Better city building, more miracles, etc.

It will never happen, but I am learning modelling and animating so maybe some day I'll be able to do something about this, though it'd hardly be on the level of what a proper dev studio can do.

Start with the first one then play the second.

The only reason to play this game is to throw shit around and destroy everything.
Considering you get past the fucking tutorial which makes me want to smash my mouse.