OG Xbox thread

Haven't seen an Xbox thread in a while, what games should I get for the thing? I'm not looking for any specific genre, just anything that I should remotely look out for.

Best punchan simulator yet

JSRF on PC never ever

Anyone have that document talking about why xbox emulation is never coming? I love reading about inner workings of systems like this.

That had to suck when you were younger, user. If I ever have a kid, I'm having them in like, October or something, so that they'll be born in the summer.

MICHAEL!!

Phantom Crash is an arcadey mecha game with pretty decent combat, lots of different parts and some decent aesthetics.

Phantom Dust is a deck-building action game with a great story

Metal Wolf Chaos is AMERICA FUCK YEAH done by the japanese, it's hilarious and also really good.

Why would it be bad? I got to have both birthday and Christmas if you were thinking I had them bundled together.

But you already know the answer to that.

Stay in >>>/furry/ >>>/fur/ >>>/fukemo/ or whatever cancer board your kind inhabits nowadays.

My home PC keeps dropping the Deluge daemon. What the fuck?

am in the xbox thread?

OG Xbox has nostalgia value but beyond that the 360 and PC have everything it's got and more.

rip xbox huge controller.

Wait, do people actually like Halobox?

Let's get a list of worthwhile Xbox Xclusives going. Nothing that got ports or remasters allowed.

Panzer Draoon Orta is so underrated it hurts.

I prefer underrated to shilled to death

Ninja Gaiden Black. You could play Sigma on the PS3/Vita but they lowered the difficulty a lot.
If you go the homebrew route fucking MUGEN has an Xbox port. It's worth it for the novelty I guess.
Multiplats are worth getting too. THPS/THUG, Burnout 3 and Revenge, NFS Most Wanted and Timesplitters 2 are great.

here comes /a/ to hate on rwby and show the same 3 webm

After all the bitching I'm going to play it this week to see whats up. I have seen playthroughs where I saw a lot of dialogue between characters sucking eggs tho. Maybe the writing was worse or just as bad as XY?

Stepdad bought that game and I loved it. Everyone else in the housed hated it and only wanted to play halo over and over and fucking over again. He sold it.

nope

NEVER EVER say NEVER EVER user. There are people working on it, but shit is going to take time. From memory, I believe the problem boils down to problems like individual game encryption and the undocumented proprietary NVIDIA GPU that needs proper reverse engineering.

Can someone post the info graphic for the modding and good Xbox games.

thanks

it's more effective to tell them to look away when they see ared eye. A bunch of people don't even read the attacks an enemy is casting

How do you know he reported.

lmao okay dude, thats why you still dont have anything but buggy laggy emulators

God I'm not having a good day.

Is there a big torrent of xbox games floating around like in OP's pic?

Here's the PS2 one for anybody interested - I'd just rather support a torrent of this stuff than rely on centralized ISO hosting sites.

I'd sage to be polite, but I also want to bump the thread.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8517b29d393c291aa331e9f479b3767321b200ed&dn=My%20Sony%20PlayStation%202%20(USA)%20Collection

Threadly reminder that there's a discord chat for anons who want to play over Xlink. It's fairly straightforward to get running.

There are many great xbox games that are only for thr xbox.

Just exclusives kind of undermines the point of a recommended games list. When i made the list for 8/v/ the idea was to have a variety of games that are worth playing for one reason or another, them being exclusive was incidental to their inclusion, and if players don't want to play the multiplats for one reason or another, a simple search when they look the game up themselves (inevitable if you are building a library based on the chart) will show the games availability for other platforms. Even then, xbox versions were largely the best of the generation and had lots of exclusive content and features. Just look at double agent, it is an entirely unique game for the xbox and a game sharing the same name just happens to be on other systems.

I see no value in making an exclusives only list, and it drastically undervalues the qualities of the system.

Wat.

your 360 doesn't have a hard drive?

I swear to god it does. I've played other games on it and saved files on it. On the hard drive. I'm so confused.

Why does Double Agent have such poor framerate anons? Stable 30 I could accept but this is poor.

is it a fat model, a slim model, or an E model?

Elite. I got it recently second hand because my old one was dying and I still had a couple of games I wanted to play on it. Not sure if its a PAL or whatever because I'm in Australia and I can't remember if we get EU or US stuff. Probably US though.

Hold on, I'll go jam Halo 2 in and see if that works.

It also comes down to the fact Nvidia had insane levels of NDA on the documentation as features in the Xbox GPU didn't arrive on consumer cards till the GF4/5 series. If a studio went down in that era. MS had to send a rep down to the studio to personally collect the documents. There are some floating about, but generally the threat of Nvida looming has kept people away from leaking the full suite (Also docs were named, numbered and watermarked. It was pretty hardcore security).

Also because Xboxen are so cheap and easy to mod, there never really was a point in trying to emulate when everything was available. If you want to play Metal Wolf Chaos, go down to a goodwill. Pay $20 and buy your Xbox. It will likely have been modded at this point. You can play everything in progressive scan and some games will even play in native 720P. Now the supply is running dry and they are getting harder to come by (Robbie Bach reckons there were 27-28 million manufactured and shipped to retail by the time they shut down production in eartly 2005) the emulation question is only coming up now.

Though I'd imagine we maybe could see some progress with the Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince remasters coming to PC next year and developers diving into that code to see what they can find.

Halo 2 didn't work. Going to try to connect to the wireless.

you could just navigate to the 360's system settings, storage, and view your HDD if it is present. If it's not being detected something has gone wrong with the system or the HDD or the HDD chassis.

The chihiro from Sega has been a primary source of Xbox documentation. The biggest hurdle is getting the nvidia soundstorm hardware working, the GPU is pretty much a solved issue, all that's left is optimization - the APU is another problem entirely and presents some major obstacles. Nvidia's graphics hardware is cryptic, but their sound hardware is even more obscure.

You can see emulation videos of the Xbox in action (most of it is sped up, but it's there.) the graphics are largely accurate, although there are errors - the sound however is universally absent. It also does not help that every Xbox game packaged their own drivers with the game.

It's definitely there, and after updating the machine it still doesn't work, not even on Halo 2. I'll have to hunt down the cables for the old one tomorrow and get that to work.

I don't even know what to get to replace it since CRTs are a pain in the ass to get where I am and an LCD is fucking pricy for the little usage I'm gonna get out of it.

The Driver and APU issue is probably the biggest problem. I saw when the creator of Voodoo Vince was writing the blog post announcing the game, he mentioned that the reason they never got into Xbox huge to 360 Backwards compatibility despite being 1st party was because they were using some classified tricks with the APU and GPU to help create the ambience effects and lighting which completely broke the game using the 360's compatability wrapper so it never got on there (And some games like Shenmue 2 did play but the lighting was murdered by whatever XDK trick that was).

Figuring that all out is likely the greatest challenge for Xbox Emulation but getting in game is a good sign, especially on games that are on the top level of graphics like Conker L&R.

I recently beat Destroy All Humans. It was pretty good, besides the abysmal draw distance, though it got a bit too repetitive.
I played Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, but while the core gameplay is pretty solid, it's wrapped in a shell of bad design decisions. Items are too expensive, ammo is too scarce, and there's no way of backtracking to scavenge for either. It had a lot of potential, but there was just too much shit in the way, so I quit it–I'll probably sell it soon.
So right now I'm playing Battle Engine Aquila. I'm about a third of the way through, and it's pretty good so far. I like how the battle lines are drawn on your radar, I love the variety of weapons, I love the large scale of combined-arms battles. It definitely shows its age graphically and in its presentation (models are reused, the UI is all early-2000s circular indicators, etc.), but it's pretty good regardless.

Forgot to post the other covers.

Battle Engine is fucking amazing. The final boss is a real fucker though. Forgot how you unlock it.

Your 360 has a third-party hard drive in it. Only Xbox-brand hard drives from Microsoft allow you to play original Xbox games. The reason for this is that the MS-brand drives have a special partition where the executables for original Xbox games are stored–third-party drives don't have this partition. (I assume it's proprietary.)

I'm having trouble with a building-sized superweapon turret. I assume, like the giant red mech on the beach a few levels ago, that it has a weak spot that's only vulnerable during a certain animation–but I can't figure out what it is.

Addendum: What's stored in the partition is actually the executable for the original Xbox game, recompiled to run on the Xbox 360 (presumably in a wrapper). That's why you usually have to download something when you insert an original Xbox game–you're downloading the recompiled executable. So your Xbox 360 is looking for the partition where it would be stored, and failing to find it, because your drive is third-party and lacks this proprietary partition.

I can't remember. If it was the beach invasion level, then shoot it in the canon to kill it.

Oh poor you, you got gifts and got to choose whats for dinner. It must be horrible

That's what I was trying. Although I was using the pulse cannon from far away (so I don't get fucking fried), and maybe it's hitting the side, since it travels slowly. Will give it a shot. Thanks.

Don't recall if have the beam weapon in that section, but it works a treat at long range.

I don't think I have a beam weapon yet, although I haven't really explored all the mech options I have. It could be in there.

Land of the free, am I right?

O-only on m-my Windows 10 drive right?

It's IV, ya git.

Well shit.
Thanks for the help user, I'll figure something out.

No problem. You can buy official Xbox hard drives. Just get one of those and you should be good to go.

kill yourself

Official Xbox 360 hard drives, I mean.

If you want to point out the logical flaws of everything in Fo4 we're going to be here forever.

Fucking finally, it's working again. Drop more games I should get, I've got 100 GB left on my HDD.

No, no and no. People were boycotting Halo 2 on its release.

Any info on that? Honest question

and today it is clearly the better game. halo 1 has some pretty majorly flawed sections

I just wish the MS-issued 360 HDDs weren't so damn expensive.

H2 was nothing like the E3 demo for starters, but what really pissed people off was the ending. H2 was incredibly polarizing back when it first released.

ebay m8, i got a 250gb ff13 one for $20.

Maybe it's because I didn't pay attention to any of the marketing for halo 2 (I mean none at all) but I never had a problem with the ending

All the Xboners still talk about it like it was a staple or something, when the campaign was shit, the multiplayer was a little better than the first but most of them probably never played the first one online and the only decent thing about it was fucking Lan and splitscreen which was a requirement for console shooters back then.

Do you eat shit for breakfast?

Most people were irritated it was such a cliff hanger and it ended with a mediocre boss fight. I understand the gripes, but everything up to that point is great. It's not secret Halo 2 was rushed.

Is that from a private tracker?

Star Wars Obi Wan was a dope ass xbox game

When I played it the first time in like 2005 the cliffhanger ending didn't really bother me, the only thing it made me think at the time is oh cool they'll probably make a third one

The only good entries on this franchise were Halo 1 and 3 and you know it

It's the torrent featured in the OP.

halo 3 was pretty good, definitely weakest of the original trilogy. odst was better than 1, 3, reach. 2 was the best halo game.

actually, i take it back, halo 3 definitely played better than halo 1 but the pacing was a little weak

How can one man have such shit taste?

I'm missing something obvious then.

Gas yourself.

The original Halo didn't support Xbox Live.

not loving the carbine and brute shot and brute plasma and dual wielding is its own sin. take your stalker shit and leave, please.
every halo game is, this is also not criticism
giving the covenant purpose at no detriment is a good thing, and it ruined nothing
you don't even know what filler is

he is talking about the notoriously bad windows port which had """"online"""" in the strictest sense that you can play with other Brazilians with netcode designed for 28k

Did you only play Halo 3 multiplayer? Because it was the worst campaign of any of the Halo games until four rolled around.

Holy shit, two whole decenty songs
Where the fuck do you think you are?
I watched every season of Dragonball, I know very well what filler is and the narrative of this game makes into exactly into that

Holy shit, do you own an Xbone as well?

How does it feel to never have Santa given you a new PS2 game and a Gameboy Micro with Metroid Zero Mission bundled with it?
the PS2 game was Shadow of the Colossus btw

Its alright
Holy fuck, its like I'm on a Youtubes comment section.
Halo isn't even that good of an FPS
Go play Timesplitters 2 you fucking plebs

I didn't, I just don't get any pleasure out of mocking people for misfortunes that are beyond their control. Drink bleach.

It was a console with basically 0 exclusives. Especially considering you can mod the 360 to be backwards compatible.

If you were retarded enough to pick up an OG Xbox, then at least pick up Raze's Hell and Fable.

This shit taste is unbearable.

oh also,

No, you can't. The 360 isn't actually backwards compatible, Microsoft just paid a lot of studios to recompile their executables to run on the Xbox 360. Don't talk about shit you don't know about.

Isn't that basically what they're doing now with the Bone?
Do you think they can bring backwards compatibility back another generation?

Yes.

If there was enough public interest and the source code and its creators were still easily accessible. So no.

Gay.

You're right, this is the youtube comments section. Every fucking thing you accuse Halo 2 of, Halo 3 is equally guilty, you're just ignoring that because
Not only was the Battle Rifle one of the stronger weapons, if you're going to call the Brute Shot generic, every fucking gun is generic.
You're like nostalgia cancer, except you somehow missed Halo 2 so you hate it, and you know your arguments are full of shit so you bring up other games to try and deflect the point.

I couldn't stand the texture pop-in in Halo 2. That's one problem it had that Halo 3 didn't. That's why I've played it the least of the three. Not trying to defend the asshole you're quoting, though.

Enjoy losing your data

No you fucking retard. You can put OG Xbox discs in your 360 and they will run perfectly fine.

no, there are several games li

nvm

Was like EP1 game but made better. Fucking swords deflecting a lightsaber is still bullshit.

netcode designed for dialup is a thousand times better than the netcode in modern games. Your modern call of duty netcode is designed to give people with unstable connections an advantage, so it's actually more brazillian focused.

Again you prove yourself to be incurably retarded. Around half of original Xbox games will run in an Xbox 360 (though many of them run poorly). Gas yourself for talking about subjects in which you are ignorant.

Does it have LAN?

I think it did.

I'd boot my copy up to check but lazy as fuck. If has LAN, then can still play online.

are you rich or underage?

The source code is still is available to them. Phil Spencer already said it's a question of priorities and licensing. They want to land 360 BC with a good number of titles and a well performing emulator (And considering the majority of games on bone BC are now running better on bone than 360, they salvaged that) and then they would consider working on Xbox original BC and dealing with the licensing surrounding that once they were happy with 360 emulation.

Even if the source code is available to them, most of the studios that made those original Xbox games have shuffled around (or closed). Not having the original programmers organized the way they were will make any kind of compatibility process slow.
However, I'd bet that, given Microsoft's internal knowledge of the original Xbox, they could probably get an actual, honest-to-god Xbox emulator running on the Xbox One. If they did that, they wouldn't need to fuck around with source ports or the like.

Where can I find an old enough usb so I can get cfw?

I think this chart needs an exclusive key.

PSP.

"Buying steam-games". It's a glorified rental-service you moron. Once they quit the service you don't have any of those games.

My psp is cfw'd. Would temporarily repurposing the memory card for this damage that?

Except you know for the part where I have the files and I can still use them fine.

Try copying those files to an offline computer without Steam then. :^)