How can the economy of Tamriel that is based on gold currency function if you can convert worthless iron into gold with...

How can the economy of Tamriel that is based on gold currency function if you can convert worthless iron into gold with single spell?

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Brothers_of_Darkness
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's just That Good.

Because the money is not pure gold but the septim. As soon as currency is based on coinage, the actual material doesn't matter shit.

Yeah, that you have to cast TWICE.

By the time you have enough MP to spam transmute you have enough power that money doesn't matter.

What worse is you can't turn all you iron into silver, without taking it out of your inventory. It will always try to turn your iron ore to silver, and then that silver ore to gold before transmuting any more iron. It's a fucking pain if you want just silver. Fucking game is a train wreck no matter how you look at it.

Can't you just make gold coins at the forge?

It would make sense, if magicks had any requirements whatsoever, but you can cast everything but Master level spells at any level of aptitude.
But questioning the logic of Skyrim is a pointless quest

Do we know that coins are made of gold? Maybe they are made of solidified dragon piss or something.

Considering it takes the same amount of iron to make a dagger to make a tiny ring out of gold, I think making coins wouldn't pay out too well.

that's the same as saying that nowadays you can just print money in a printer. It's forgery

No sane country would ever make coins that are this easy to counterfeit. I realize I'm just applying real world economics to tamriel though.

haha, but what if Mario is eating drugs?!

haha i wonder if sonic's feet smell haha

The goyim knows shut it down!.webm

Given the prices in Tamriel and assuming there's a significant percentage of gold in those coins, it does look like they underwent some heavy inflation.

Maybe that's why the Silverbloods have so much money. It's much easier to enslave people to dig up a silver mine than get alteration mages to convert iron ore.

It really doesn't matter, because the ratio of gold to iron in the Elder Scrolls universe is obviously different from ours.

For example: the going rate for an ingot of iron with encumbrance 1 (lets say one pound) is worth 7 gold septims (one ounce each).

In our world this cost would be ridiculous. Approximately 8,200$ worth of gold at market value in exchange for approximately .05$ worth of iron.

Gold is simply a shit ton more common in the Elder Scrolls. But its still uncommon enough to be used as a medium of exchange.

The rare mage who fucks around with transmutation spells doesn't affect the supply enough to cause inflation.

Notice that that particular spell isn't for sale in any store, but has to be found in a remote location. Also, the ghost merchant in Dawnguard confirms that being able to learn any spell instantly is a Dragonborn ability, same as being able to learn any Shout instantly.
So, Transmute is an obscure, possibly experimental spell that you happen to be able to learn perfectly in an instant by absorbing the knowledge from its spell tome.

It could just be that the gold title of the coins is down to nothing.

But that would mean the Nerevarine, and the Hero of Kvatch were dragonborn to. They are not going that route are they?

you see every once in a while a doorway appears in my backyard and I go see my friend lord british in tamerial and I learn spells and hang out with my friend Iolo.

I still wonder why you're able to find new ass shiny coins in a cave or temple that has been sealed off for hundreds of years

The gold standard really is the best system. No wonder the Jews hate it.

Youre putting way more thought into this than bethesda did user, they've already forgotten that Oblivion, Morrowind and all the other TES games even existed. They just needed a convenient excuse for why the DB can learn spells with total ease and no prior training or knowledge. Most Skyrim fans arent even close to autistic enough to want a game that puts actual depth and skill into its magic system, but are just retarded and autistic enough to want an explanation as to why this is the case, other than "Gameplay Trumps Lore/because Bethesda says so".

I don't know why but I almost puked when I laughed at that.

To be fair that spell is found in a fucking bandit lair. Not an ancient mage's crypt.

I don't know about the Hero of Kvatch, but there is some circumstantial textual evidence for the Nerevarine being Dragonborn in The Lost Prophecies.

"From seventh sign of eleventh generation,
Neither Hound nor Guar, nor Seed nor Harrow,
But Dragon-born and far-star-marked,
Outlander Incarnate beneath Red Mountain,"

It probably just means that they were born as an imperial citizen, under a Dragon Blooded emperor. Still, it could be that the Nerevarine was a Dragonborn (maybe that's how they survived the antidote to Corpus?) which simply didn't have any dragons to slay and absorb their souls.

jesus, the UV mapping on that thing is horrifying.

Well, the Nerevarine probably won't suffer that problem. Corprus made him immune to aging, so unless he gets killed while in Akavir or something, he could very well go back to Tamriel and kill himself a dragon.

"Skyrim was a mistake."
literally, everybody

Well, obviously there's another spell that turns gold into silver, and silver into iron. It all balances out.

i don't really question the lore bethesda puts out anymore since none of it makes sense. looking at you fallout 3 a.k.a. "i know im a super mutant/ghoul but i can't go in that reactor because reasons"

because it's a soopur sekrit spell that only you know how to use. or you can just write it off by making up some other excuse, like it takes a lifetime to master unless you're naturally gifted. you could also say that the transmutation leaves alchemical or magickal traces on the gold that is detectable by various banking institutions and the spell is really only useful for dealing with those who aren't adequately trained to detect the false gold's impurities. or you could say bethseda doesn't give a shit as long as you know you can climb those mountains.

That’s literally what the Fed does (when it’s not just typing zeroes into a computer), so not really.

Probably in a similar manner to the way your nation treats its fiat currency.

Who cares? I don't.

I bet you voted for Hillary/(((Bernie))).

I want /chaika/ to leave

Do people still not know this was fixed in Broken Steel? For real.

>>>Holla Forums

If you tell Fawkes to go in the game still calls you a coward for not needlessly killing yourself.

So what, it's invalid.

The developers are retarded.

Hillary was the far-right option in Clapistan, though.

Daily reminder that Trump-voters are true leftists. They want to smack down the global elite to improve the quality of the workers' life, and the chances of being able to stay employed. Trump's campaign rethoric was also full leftist populism, and his supporters seem to have a very left-leaning habits favoring muh feefees over consensus and scientific proof, and resorting to self-justified violence when feeling intellectually or culturally threatened.

It's about the poor writing, not some gameplay feature. Broken Steel doesn't fix it because the writing then calls the player character a lesser person for not throwing away their life when there was no logical reason to. It's still bad writing, perhaps even worse. Instead of being able to blame it on a character just being stubborn, now there's literally no reason for the game to say it was wrong to not to sacrifice yourself.

>>>Holla Forums

Nords have the right idea, magic should be shunned.

haha ever wonder what yoshi's eggs smell like

>>>/zoo/

Nobody cares about your shitty childrens cartoon.
shut the fuck up and fuck off for life

Give me one instance of Trump supporters commiting violence
And even if you find one you will find many greater acts caused by Hillary supporters
Also Consensus doesn't matter as people can be mislead especially en masse though scientific proof does matter, for example it is scientifically proven that Blacks are more violent and less intelligent than white

Question, the Dark Brotherhood in skyrim went to great extremes to fulfill a contract to kill the emperor even though their entire faction consisted of just you, WE WUZ, and a little girl. Why did they stop trying to kill the Neravarine simply because he killed the assassin that had the contract? Was it not an officially sanctioned assassination by the nightmother?

You don't have to pay for the DLC though, it's one of the easiest things to pirate, all you do after it downloads is move it to the right folder.

They didn't? They only stop coming when you get to Mournhold, I believe, and then you're only "canonically" safe once you find the note from Helseth and he tells you that you don't have to worry about them again.

They do keep attempting to assassinate you even after the first failed attempt, the attacks stop once you kill their leader.

But how? Last time I checked Helseth wasn't very popular, let alone with somebody like the Nightmother. Skyrim's story implies they will go to any length to fulfill the contract because a life must be payed, the contract fulfilled.

But wouldn't the Nightmother just send someone else?

About the night mother, do you actually kill her in morrowind? There is no night mother in oblivion and in skyrim its a mummified corpse right?

That's because you killed her in morrowind.

The DB wasn't the same kind of organization in the lore then as it is from Oblivion onward. They were just an assassin group that wasn't officially sanctioned by the Morrowind government. They worshiped Sithis, but there was no Night Mother or calling ritual.

So what happened to change them into the spiritual force of revenge that they are now?

They rewrote them much like the rewrote Cyrodil being a jungle.

You seem upset. Tell me where the animu touch you. Your in a safe place.

Just wanted to know because I can remember killing some big shot NPC who throws daedric darts but I couldnt recall if she was the actual night mother

Would be very hard for them to with their entire organization in ruins and the Morag Tong, who are a legal guild of assassins unlike the Brotherhood, opposing them, besides Neravarine fucked off for Akavir for some reason and hasn't been seen since.

That doesn't explain why they would stop, if they were will to fight the whole fucking empire to kill the emperor. The most that can be said is that the brotherhood fundamentally changed from morrowind to oblivion, but just raises more questions.

To be quite honest, the economy of Tamriel would have failed either way because as we all know the Septim is nothing but
DIRTY
FIAT
CURRENCY

because the elder scrolls games, their writing and lore is fucking garbage

On that note, what is the septim even representative of? Sure as hell isn't the Empire's gold supply.

It may very well be just simply gold. An user who is well versed in ancient economies might be able to answer your question, but the Septim might just be gold. I doubt Bethesda put much thought into it since people seem to believe even paper money actually has value.

Exactly user.

We don't know. Probably nothing.

Tbh an Elder Scrolls Game set during Tamriel's upcoming Great Depression would be fun. Literally nobody would have any money to give you or to wage war.

Earlier it was flat out said that once currency becomes a minted coin it's no longer about the metal its made of. Possibly even more zozzling would be if the Septim was actually like the penny and not comprised mainly of Gold

Their Welkynd Stone supply.

That's the "official" rumor, anyhow. Whether or not it's accurate is up to the player. The Nerevarine could be in Hammerfell fighting the Dominion - or in Orsinium banging skanky Orc sluts. Nobody knows, but officially, he/she is irrelevant to all future stories.

Depending on how you view C0DA, the Nerevarine won't be back again until the 5th Era where he pilots Akulakhan to fight against Anumidium in a giant mecha battle to stop it from denying reality into never-was long enough for the Dunmer people to escape to their colonies underneath the surface of the moon.

user are you implying that what started as a medieval fantasy will end with a giant Kaiju style Robot fight? Sounds like CHIM to me

Based on what determined, gold would be a laughably bad resource to base a fiat currency on.

Shrooms are a hell of a drug.

>Siding with either the Totally Not-Keynsians or Totally Not-Austrians or siding with the Totally Not-Gommies and crashing the economy with no survivors and turning the game into Commintern Management Simulator

Reminds me of pic related

I quickly figured out how to keep the money and still complete the quest

I chuckled

haha, but what if sans was ness????????

This one is more accurate

wrong
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Brothers_of_Darkness

How can the economy of the United States that is based on a fiat currency function if you can convert worthless paper into money by just saying it's worth something now?

user…

SHIT

MEME

Okay, so they have a leader called the Night Mother, and you slay a local one in Morrowind. That doesn't change the fact that Oblivion and Skyrim changed them quite a bit into a much more cult-like organization that doesn't even care about Mephala and instead follows the leadership of this immortal spirit-entity that's probably still Mephala just yanking their chain.

(checked)
Your dubs don't lie.

Money is worth what it's worth because everyone agrees that it's worth that much.
On top of that, all currency is really just a stand-in for bartered goods, since a barter system would be terribly inefficient, and it wouldn't work with intangible goods and services, such as education or the law.

STOP IT, YOU'RE MEMEING TOO HARD!

WHY CONTAIN IT?

How would you build a business around granting wishes anyway aside from itemized billing and filling of wishes the old-fashioned way

A Jewish trickery to devalue goy savings so they work harder

I suppose you build a buisness around it by billing wishes to their equivalent worth

Then why would people bother, if they have to pay full value

Well I guess they will undercut businesses that sell the good but they won't undercut the distributor as so to stop businesses from buying from the wish makers

That's the point of gold though, coins contain a small amount of valuable material which roughly translate to the value of the coin. What the OP is saying is that, with the septim being gold based and gold being appearantly being trivialized by the conversion spell. But simple forging the coins isn't even the problem.

The spell essentially turns every iron mine in Skyrim into a gold mine. Gold becomes worthless as a material and thus unusable as a currency. Skyrim would probably need some other form of rarity that they could exploit like glass or ebony to make their coins out of instead.

Which fails to account for the spell being extraordinarily uncommon, and even a player sitting around transmuting gold ore wouldn't be able to devalue the economy that much. Hell, it's nowhere near the top money sinks of the game.

Transmute isn't a mainstream spell
You can only find it in two specific places. One of the places is a bandit camp and the other deep in a grave. It's not supposed to exist to everyone, even the college doesn't own the spell.

That really doesn't matter. Even if the spell wasn't very common, I guarantee it will be really soon. You can't keep a lid on turning iron into gold for very long.

I don't know anything about that so I'll concede.
the only reason I knew about that book in the first place is because I found it yesterday while playing

Because Tamriel values gold for whatever reason. An economic system just has to be established by a powerful enough entity for it to be valued for whatever reason. Read this book. Even though it appears like it's for children, it does an excellent job of explaining the real-world counterpart to the type of economy you're talking about. The author interjects his own opinion on the matter a lot.

And here's the second part.

what do you think has been happening for the past 70 years, user?

"It will be really soon" doesn't work when you need more than the text itself to cast the spell, but a decent level of alteration skill. And of the people who have it, a lot are either outcasts from society, or belong to local governments and organizations that would crack down hard on that shit. The PC in these games is never representative of the common man, especially in regards to their freedom from repercussions.

I don't know anons, he sounds fishy to me.

Wizards are everywhere, and I would hardly call magic uncommon. Regardless of difficulty of the spell, it would still fuck up the economy because someone would use it. It would only take one person with an unlimited source of money to fuck everything up. Gold farmers on MMO servers have done it before.

Holy shit I didn't know these were actual books

As I said, the author interjects his personal opinions a lot. There's some interesting stuff regardless of whether his father was arrested for tax evasion or he's a kike.

So are these actual books or did he just write a page and leave it like that. I can't find any links to buy them.

wew, Todd could learn a thing or two merging his work like this

holy shit fucking 10/10

Fluttering probably wasn't the best word he could have used.

Fluttering was the best word he could have used.

The dragonborn should open up an insurance firm

I… I'm actually interested in this. Like, not even ironically.

Would he call it Fus, Ro & Dah?

nevermind I guessed correctly

Here lies my hopes and dreams.

hopes: deleted

My parade has officially been shat on

Maybe we can get /tg/ to write one

But why be sad when you can make it real?

it would be much more reasonable to say that the economy is rooted in the base value of a wizard to transmute any metal into gold. As such it is more about the base value of wizards skilled enough to pull off the spell, as well as the total amount of all real value products present in the economy. As such if you increase either the supply materials or the supply of wizards who are able to transmute said materials into gold, inflation will increase.
Self-equilibrium of the economy will be achieved when demand for goods from a growing population is proportional to the growth in productivity of the population size, as well as the productivity of the wizards.
As such, wizarding schools would be active sources of economic inflation, as well as dungeons from the surplus of theoretical wealth extracted from them. Thus to counteract said inflation the economies of Tamriel you must control the population of wizards to keep from the real value of goods being converted directly into coinage (which increases operation costs through nonuniform trade goods and removes projected coinage from circulation) and you need to keep people from raiding dungeons, because that limits the amount of real-wealth items being introduced nearly instantly into the market. So you either need to make operation costs prohibitive to delve into dungeons, or make it illegal.

The reason why the economies of The Elder Scrolls (at least in the games) are stagnant is the same reason why the PC is one of the only ones who raids the dungeons and gets loot, etc. It's a social taboo to do so because if too many people did so, they'd flood the economies of tamriel with items which wizards would be happy to convert into currency. It's probably why Skyrim hates wizards so much, the economic strife from the rebellions would be exacerbated by wizards transmuting all the items they can find and driving up inflation. Without wizards you can still raid dungeons without the economies collapsing from massive inflation, due to the prohibitive nature of transporting vast amounts of nonuniform, mostly heavy items without modern mechanical tools. There probably are individuals, if not organizations, dedicated to stocking high wealth or even large quantities of medium or low wealth items back into dungeons or creating new dungeons to be used for item disposal. The cost association with doing so is less than the inherent devaluation that would occur when you would market said items. It's a Weimar republic situation where the currency (or items that would later become currency) is more useful disposed of than it is circulated.

Once tamriel embraces Fiat capitalism fully and uses money as a representation of debt, instead of wealth in the international market, We'll see the dungeons totally cleaned, wizarding openly promoted and as much coinage made as possible as devaluation of wealth means that debt owed is less valuable. Resulting in massive hyperinflation as all the powerful artifacts that were once hoarded by the great peoples of their regions were looted and converted into coinage. The towers would be exploited to better channel transmutation rites until the towers collapse from sub-zero lending mortgages making the inherent true-value assignments of objects within the game universe negative integers, which in game logic would underflowing them into such proportionally large numbers that no system both in game and universally would be able to process it and in real life logic, would break the laws of the universe and collapse the entire system of trading-manipulation that the economy was based upon. A new dark age.

God damn it.

damn, this was actually a neat idea for books.

did…did anyone actually read this

The best handshake in the world. You would feel the same if you shook hands with jesus.

I did.
Also it's fake unfortunately.

I've been re-reading that paragraph for the past five minutes and still laughing.

Someone's never shook hands with the boss.

THE PERFECT HANDSHAKE

you could just introduce a magic based anti-counterfeit messure into the lore, and then all gold created from iron should come up as counterfeit and would have to be fenced.

Why Bethesda didn't think of this is simple. They suck.

Until the fed decides it's worth too much and reduces the value of the money you already have by printing out more fiat currency to lend to you at interest so you can afford all the newly-more-expensive stuff you used to be able to afford.

That is true, but remember that you're running the enhanced edition of GTAV not the original one that was on PS3. The version on PS3 is completely abandoned at this point, doesn't receive updates or anything.