Star Fox: GOTY edition thread

Star Fox: GOTY edition thread.

Just get Project Aces to develop a title already.

i dont own this game, am never buying this game and aren;t going to play it until they fully crack the wii u.
i gotta ask.

are the controls really that bad? with the amount of hubbub over it, i know some complaints are dramatic while others might be sincere, but it's not easy to tell.

for reference, im one of those autists who could play TWEWY on DS while focusing on both screens.

No.

It's basically pic related: Critics aren't willing to learn a new control scheme and bitch about it.

Fuck, if Ace Combat 7 is fucking successful, they need to go full Space Opera on their next game.

I got two here guys with different opinions. Who's side do you go for?
.Webm it please. I can't

Second guy.
Who's right?

There's also this one, but I don't know.

Neither. Both are way too harsh on the controls.

If I had to pick, Johnny. Arlo is a whiny cunt.

controls aren't terrible, however the game as a whole is a downgrade from 64, I hope they bring it back for the Switch and bring with it all of the stages from 64, Assault and the SNES games.

No. They have a learning curve but if you've played Splatoon, you'll probably get used to it pretty quickly. Only need to look at the gamepad screen for more precise aiming.

This game's biggest problem is its lack of overall content and no multiplayer beyond that tacked-on co-op mode. I'd be willing to overlook the fact it's yet another reboot of Star Fox 1/64 if it had online multiplayer.

Not quite, the enemy patterns and AI are actually much improved over 64's, and 64's enemy AI was great to begin with.
This is the most major problem with the game, which is probably why they also shipped copies with Starfox Guard to compensate.

It's fun, I'm unsure if a view counts as revenue. Since I always have Adblock on 24/7

It does get kind of annoying. I wish it wasn't mandatory, It's Miyamoto basically telling us. "USE THIS ONE, AND ONLY THIS ONE. IT'S /MY/ GAME AND YOU /WILL/ PLAY IT THIS WAY!!"

And how is this different from any other game in the series? Or most console games? Or most games even on PC?

Because they don't use gimmicks.

How is something like tilt control a gimmick when games on the Wii U and even other systems have done it before?

Listen, that's fine and all, but if you're trying to make a game to sell. You are going to need to make different options for different people
You aren't going to lock it to one play style and expect everyone to agree to it. You may like it, but a fuckton of people did NOT. I wouldn't even be arguing this if you could switch the control setting.
I don't even know what the fucking gook was smoking when making this decision, it's obvious that not everyone is going to want to be constantly looking up and down, not everyone wants to act like a spaztic puppet. He's certainly gone senile over the years, and it's going to bite him in the ass if he keeps it this way.

And it's not even a gimmick. Motion controlled aiming is the next logical step on console shooters. The level of precision when it comes to joystick vs. mouse is absolutely laughable.

Only thing they did wrong with the controls is having the cross-hair be 3D. That would have made aiming much easier, I think.

You could also git gud. Also Miyamoto was only a producer, you dumb faggot.

I am gud, you're just choking so hard on gimmick dick that you refuse to see this from an analytical standpoint. Good luck trying to a tell a customer with money to 'git gud' with something they can't enjoy and refuse to buy.

It's still a gimmick, user. This is barely different from the Wii's wagglan controls. Fucking shit, if ANYTHING, the Wii controller would have made this a more pleasant experience to other people. The issue here was constantly looking up and down like a retard. I want to focus on /one/ screen.

prove it

Not an argument.

Not an argument.

What do you think gimmick means? The way I see it, the control scheme was a step forward, not backwards or sideways.

Let's look at the facts here.
>you can turn the motion controls off and just aim on your own axis by default, anyway. And the game plays like shit because you need to attack enemies above you
Way I see it, there was no reason for this game NOT to use motion controls. Shit, it actually makes me wish the Wii U had been a little more popular, because imagine a small studio/AA developer making a fast-paced Quake-like FPS on a console. Say good-bye to mediocre military shooters, now everybody has the precision of mouse aiming on their console.

Like I said, the only mistake whatsoever with the control scheme is the fact that the cursor is 3D, which is only an issue if an enemy is right at the edge of the screen, anyway. You can play the game just fine without looking at the gamepad.

What about this?

Fuck off Nintendrones.

The models are shit, and the Freespace engine can't really handle Starfox like gameplay, let alone 3rd person

True, but Freespace is quite similar to Ace Combat from a gameplay standpoint so if Project Aces were to attempt a Starfox game I imagine that's how it would end up.

I'm going to ignore the obviously retarded assertion that tilt controls are on par with mouse and just give you a reason why you wouldn't include these controls: when the rest of the game is not balanced for these new controls to the point of undermining the design of its challenge, which is very much the case with Star Fox Zero.

Star Fox is basically a 3D shump, and the primary skill in them is balancing your shooting and dodging. In most shumps, former Star Foxes included, your fire is based on the direction and placement of your ship, thus tying it to your movement and forcing you to weave in and out of danger to make shots. If you include aiming separately from your movement, like in several twinstick shooters, the game has to accommodate the challenge to fit the added disconnect between aiming and firing.

With Star Fox Zero, that's not so much the case. There are some areas where it works, like in all range mode boss fights where it intermixes moving to dodge and place yourself to make shots at boss weakpoints. In the normal scrolling stages though? The game still functions like regular Star Fox and most enemies can be attacked from any place on the screen. In these cases, the added control makes the game far more easier as dodging and shooting becomes incredibly easy to do since you no longer have to put yourself in harms way to make correct shots. This is the thing that damns Star Fox Zero. If you get used to the controls, the game rewards you far too much for it as it does not account for the disconnect in aiming and moving outside of a few occasions.

They are, dumbass.

This. The people whining about Star Fox Zero's controls are the same sort of people who couldn't adapt to analog sticks back in the nineties. Yes, they existed.

Okay I have some complaints about star fox zero tbh.
I really wouldn't recommend this game. Just get lylat wars/star fox 64 off the virtual store. It's far cheaper, has more replayability, it's more fun and doesn't have boring ass transformations and helicopters. It's also less linear. The gyro controls are decent enough, although you constantly have to reset them because they'll become misaligned every 2-3 minutes.
Star fox assault was a better game than this.

Please tell me how tilting one's wrists/arms/torso in a certain direction to aim is more accurate than just pointing in a direction with just one hand. Hell, a Wiimote+Nunchuck control scheme would have been more accurate than the current one, and easier to pick up for most people. Of course you wouldn't be able to aim off screen anymore, but the game doesn't take much advantage of that anyways so it's not a terrible loss.

Pretty much this.
Uprising made use of the whole "move and shoot" thing but far far better.
The main thing being that all the enemy patterns are made with the control scheme, and bye extension what you can do, in mind.

In Uprising at least, bullet patterns are very three dimensional and tightly focused, and make use of the fact that you can aim and move. Things like enemies located on the right side of the screen shooting forwards in a way that mean you can't safely be over there, so you just move to the left and aim right. The patterns obviously get much more complicated than that, but it's all built around it.

Star Fox Zero on the other hand is like giving you Pit's air control and aiming, in star fox 64. That just flat out breaks the game since the patterns were designed around having to shoot in the direction you move.

I think the fact that the game is already being forgotten is a testament to its quality.

people are afraid to move their arms arounds when playing a console game

Did you not read my post at all? And of course saving certain images is a sign of autism.

It has forced gimmick controls because Nintendo still used marketing bullshit in their game design for a console they knew was dying. Nintendrones will defend it anyway because Nintendo has tricked them into thinking waving your arms around and blowing into a portable console is innovation and creativity.
The game itself is [CURRENT YEAR] SF64 with some other vehicles tossed in. Just pirate it.

If you're waving your arms while playing Zero it's no wonder why you're shit at the game.

You guys have it so lucky. You have no fucking idea.
Custom Robo game co developed by Noise & Platinum never