Add ONE single thing to a video game to immensely improve it

Quicksaves.

Why do you have to shitpost like a faggot?

hilarious!

remove backstabs and souls is a much better game

FPS controls movement while aiming.

You have to add, not remove, kiddo.

Actual impact in anything physical connecting with another object
OR SIMPLY
A better/new engine.

doo doo jokes

really all of Bethesda's games could be summarized by "A better engine is needed"

dubs

holy fuck get gud faggot

are you a faggot? All it needs nowadays is a finalized Izalith and a better engine

Finished second half.

That would make the game a bit too easy cuz you'd have to compensate for the extra mobility.

I agree.

I wonder what they're doing for TESVI cuz they have huge boots to fill. Chivalry shows how to make a better more impactful melee combat, Lichdoom Battlemage shows how to make good magic and TW3 raised the bar for openworld game's storytelling and games in general, no counting how to do steatlh right. But I bet they'd just fart something mediocre with mod support and people would just eat it.

native higher framerate without mechanics breaking

Direct control.

Isn't there a remaster in the works anyway?

Why are you auch a massive faggot?

Not really, I don't think that would hurt the difficulty, as long as you still turn faster with the tank controls. Leon turns faster when he's not aiming, that's all that matters.

Direct control, as in moving with the directional buttons instead of mouse. Yeah, that would make it a lot more comfy.

I don't normally sage but this is blatant baiting on OP's part

Correctly. Click-to-move is fucking shit.

I would use QWEASD but yeah.

Monthly char resets with permadeath if a player kills you when not human.
Bonus: Humanities aren't permanent, so you eventually hollow / turn into a california raisin again, incentivizing dick-itude

This is what I legitimately want in my souls though. Man, you people are so sensitive.

souls-like combat system on skyrim

Arizona

Pretty sure that just means they'll be porting it to the same engine as Dark Souls 3

Except quicksaves ruins the entire point of fixed bonfire locations

Seeing Fallout 4 and the other shit they made, I doubt they're going to do much. Casuals and lorefags will eat up anything with the Elder Scrolls name on it.

Remove bonfires then? I honestly don't care about some fag's idea of design, I'm a consumer and I just want to have fun out of my product.

The problem is, there is no competition for TES, it's the only one of it's kind. Without substitute, people would have no choice but to cling to a product. I still enjoy all elder scrolls games for this reason, there's nothing else to derive the same enjoyment from.

consider suicide

I don't know user, Beth kind of fucked F4 to such a degree that not even casuals like it. It still sold well, but if they continue to fuck up I think the well will run dry.

maybe just don't play the game

part of how scary RE4 was is thanks to the fact that the controls are all clunky AND that you couldn`t aim while moving. This made handling multiple zombies a very tense matter because if they get too close to you, you actually have to turn your back to them and run, you never know exactly how far they are in those few seconds and if they ran after you.

The fact that you can`t see that explains why games today are so shit

Or maybe just implement quicksaving system on the PC version of the game without removing bonfires so players can personally choose how they play it, the quicksaving system only exists in the offline mode only. It's a win-win.

Really? Except for the horror ambient music, it felt too much like an overwhelmingly action game. If it was a horror game, the theme wouldn't be so silly and the arcade modes wouldn't exist. Especially considering that Leon (and the rest of the playable characters) is an elite special ops agent who has superhuman reflexes and does acrobatic moves with no effort. It would make sense if you play as a weak bitch who never handled a gun before, but we play as a top of the class special agent guy who jumps through laser fields. Fluid controls would fit the game a lot better than clunky controls.

kill yourself.
remove backstabs from the game, fix parrying to not be overpowered.

Why do you have to be so sour and force your own idea of fun?

banlist

I've said that the quicksave should be optional. If you want challenge, don't use it. I don't want to remove your fun.

I'm gonna be frank with you; your ideas are shit. Sorry, but quicksaving is fucking garbage enough as it is, and it would only make Dark Souls less of an experience. The levels in the game are small enough that such a feature is unnecessary, and its inclusion would only remove any tension that the threat of loss conveys. Half way through the game, you're given the ability to warp from bonfire to bonfire, and if that's not convenient enough for you, you can also use the Homeward miracle or Homeward Bones to instantly teleport to the last bonfire you rested at. If, after all this, you're still having trouble getting from point to point, then this game probably isn't for you, or you need to git gud. If it's not about traversal and you just want to save scum, then use the fucking cheat engine to bypass whatever restrictions that bother you, but quicksaving isn't going to fix anything.
The rigid control scheme is meant to convey tension via limited player agency. No, the game isn't scary, but the combat is designed so that you need to constantly keep moving, and that you must choose between running or attacking. Each enemy type you encounter will test this ability. If you were to implement a traditional FPS control scheme, your player character would move far too quickly and fluidly for the enemies to pose any threat. The game would no longer be about managing your positioning and inventory and looking for opportunities to attack. Instead, it'd be something closer to Doom, and that's not the fucking point.

But, whatever. Think what you want. Don't get butthurt because I don't agree with you, though.

Pokemon should be added to every game

Are you being serious when you say add quicksaves to Dark Souls. The game constantly autosaves and if you need to shoot off quick for real life commitments you can just quit the game and continue your progress. The enemies you've defeated up to that point will still be defeated.

Nigger you just don't know how to use it's system.

FF12's Gambits.

I think that the total war series would be made better by having a more dynamic campaign map with actual seasonal changes. Like tsunamis, droughts, and earthquakes. That would add some tension to late game massive empires.

That's why I want the quicksave to be optional. Some people just don't like it, but others want it. Some people appreciate the design, but others think that the design is flawed. Video game is a personal experience, it's no good to say that your experience is better than others, video game as a product is a servant to it's consumer. "The game isn't for you" is not a very good argument.

It's already quite close to Doom IMO. I'm just saying that if they wanted the game to be full of tension, then everything in the game should be consistent to that tone of tension. Making your character an athletic superhuman in the cutscene while in-game he's slow and weak, is extremely inconsistent. It's all about the consistency in design philosophy.

If I don't lose souls and humanity whenever I die, then I'd be alright with the constant autosaves. This quicksave is an optional feature for those who don't like losing any progress. I know the system, but I don't really like how restricted it is.

There's no such thing as an "optional" feature, dickhead. It's either there, or it isn't.

TACTICAL SUPERIORITY

aka rebalances that aren't "buff the tranu because >muh k/d shitters are bitching on the forums again about not being able to one-hit kill everything across the continent"

Of course it's there, but it should be up to you to use it, that's the meaning of optional.

you probably think you're clever but this is the kind of bait i would expect out of a fuckign highschooler. i hope you're a highschooler, otherwise you're developmentally delayed.

So what's wrong with the way Dark Souls saves your game now, and how do you think this problem is going to be fixed by removing bonfires and implementing a quicksave feature? You never did formulate an argument in favor of such a feature.
You're full of shit. How is RE4 anywhere near Doom in similarity? Because they both have guns and you shoot at bumbling meat targets?

I hope this is bait, because you sound increasingly retarded. No offense.

FF12's Gambits would make any game with AI controlled party members better, really.

cloud-based savefiles only so you can't cheat, allow local saves only in mama's boy mode or by completing the game once

That's gonna be a bitch when the central servers go down and you can't save your game.

I can do you one better.

Take Planetside 1 just after it went retail and recreate in it's entirely in the Planetside 2 engine. You could even throw in the artillery piece and lattice system as a bonus.

That means no P2w, no overloaded CR5 commander structure, and a large population that wasn't overloaded with certs, so foot traffic was abundant. All within a more modern engine. If you thought PS2 was shitfuck optimized, you should have seen PS1. Even with factional imbalances, the game would be monumentally better. Its been a diarrhea downhill since four months after PS1 went retail.

just release patch when you shut down, problem solved

Casual as fuck.That game was missing was this dude.

Stella Glow's directional facing thing, where attacking an enemy from the side or behind gives you an advantage. Compared to Awakening's arbitrary stat boosts and all-or-nothing assists just for standing next to each other, it's a much more natural way to encourage having your units work together. One guy going up against multiple enemies is gonna get flanked and fucked up pretty quick.
Though I could see one on one fights becoming a *teleports behind you* fest if not careful.

I know people who struggle with gargoyles if they can't roll their way to victory

Im inclined to disagree since combat is shallow enough as it is, so what would there even be to Gambit.

Non-Guest Female Party member on the other hand.

That only works for games, where death is final.
Other than that, I pretty much prefer the autosave/checkpoint system, that the Souls games and Diablo clones have, not only you won't lose any progress, when the game crashes or something else happens, but you'll also have to deal with the consequences of your choices or lack of skill.

Add a suspend feature to every game that doesn't have it. You exit and can then return to exactly where you left off, but the save gets erased after it or any other save gets loaded.
Simple, convenient and can't be abused.

You people are the reason god doesn't talk to us anymore.

Made me reply.

What you ask for takes away the risk and reward. Sorry but this does not improve the core elements of Dark Souls. You're better off just watching longplays.

i'm not a nerd that can spend all day going through the same area i have places to go and women to bang

Multiplayer.

Just kidding it would still be shit.

Faggot you're on Holla Forums, you've got nowhere to go and the only sex you get are the dicks you suck in exchange for anime figurines.

Alright, let me answer it honestly then. Being able to save scum would destroy too much of the tension in Dark Souls. There, death is meant to come at a cost. It's designed around taking time and resources to recover from a death. It's not always great fun but it makes victory absolutely much more rewarding.

Plus, how would online work if you could save scum?

Fuck off.

WASD movement control

Glad the Factorio developers got it right.

WE JUST FUCKING HAD THIS THREAD

I think you're missing the point

What about Tarkus?

I don't know why this never crossed my mind but holy shit

This, I bet its also the same OP who made the other dark souls thread crying about the difficulty.

I don't like losing progress as a punishment for dying, that's all the reason. I don't think it's fair for a game to give such a harsh punishment for the player, it's won't deliver a pleasing experience. It's subjective opinion, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with such opinion.

It's just the pacing, the intensity of the action. Compared to the old RE's, it's closer to Doom. The main game is fast paced already, and you kill too many enemies. Try to play the arcade extras, such as Assignment Ada and Mercenaries, they're even faster paced.

And the cutscenes, they're also quite action packed. It's arguably closer to action games such as Doom than survival horror games.

It improves the experience. People have different idea of what they like the most from Souls. The plebeian/general opinion would be because of the challenge. For me, even though I don't really like the challenge, I just like how weighty the animations are, how the weapons look shiny, and the customizability. For me, these are the core elements of Dark Souls.

And I think you miss the point of video game as a whole. The main reason why video game and all escapism media exist is not to bring challenge to the table, but to deliver entertainment. Their inherent point is to entertain us, the catharsis of the video game media, not to challenge us. Challenge is just one of the many ways to achieve entertainment. We must consider all factors that might deliver entertainment, not just one.

I can't tell if OP is baiting or legitimately retarded.
I'm getting old.

How is wanting video games to deliver entertainment in convenient way possible by regarding the subjectivity of experience due to the differing perception of players as one of the most important aspect in a game, baiting?

Everyone reaches catharsis in their own way.

And how is praising the difficulty of Dark Souls not the most plebeian thing to do? People labeled difficult games as "The Dark Souls of [insert genre here] games", DS is identical to challenge and difficulty according to the popular opinion.

(sorry for the double reply)

Either way, it doesn't matter if you're baiting or not. You'll call anyone who disagrees with you sensitive or say that only your entertainment matters, because it's subjective. You obviously won't change your mind

If you're baiting, go do something productive. If not, get off the net. Your opinion doesn't matter if you can't back it up with anything substantial.

How about telling Prompto to STOP STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING FIGHT JESUS CHRIST YOU HAVE HALF THE HEALTH OF EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PARTY AND YOU USE RANGED WEAPONS JUST SPAM YOUR GUNS AND USE YOUR MACHINES TO FINISH OFF THE ONES WITH SUPER LOW HEALTH.

Or when I equip a spell, maybe have everyone else run away from the enemy I'm targeting so I don't have to worry about hitting my team because magic is the only fucking thing in this game that, for some godforsaken reason, they decided to add team attack to.

Fucking yes. I hated Tree of Savior for being an unoptimized POS but one of the things it definitely did right was to add an option for WASD/controller controls, instead of Ragnarok Online's "use the mouse to do fucking everything" style. Also the reason I won't play Diablo 3 until I (eventually) get it on the PS4, where it's more like a twin-stick shooter.

Tarkus uses super heavy armor, Guts jumps around like a crazy person on cocaine to avoid attacks. If anything, he's Artorias.

This is the same as me going to Final Fantasy Tactics and saying, "you know what? This needs real-time battles. It just isn't good with all this turn-based shit in the way." I'd be missing the point because it's a TRPG and taking time to strategize is the POINT OF THE GAME. If I wanted something with real-time combat, I would play a different game. An ARPG or RTS or something else entirely.

Similarly, the point of Dark Souls is the challenge and the need to replay areas until you master them, to 'git gud.' The game is built around fiero and adding a quicksave system would utterly undermine that. If you want a game with quicksaves, go play an Elder Scrolls game, they allow that.

BBC in the ass.

Way longer distances between bonfires.

Put the actual combat gameplay in the hands of Arkane.

This, pretty much. And you're right; the one-on-one fights that have been had are exactly about moving behind your target. The only way I can think of getting around that is having a pseudo-guardian effect for a target you're attacking from the front who is alone, so you can't just move past their adjacent tile. That or just code one-on-one fights into the ruleset so flank attacks don't reward anything. A stupidly situational mechanic, mind, but at least it's an answer.

Nice dubs thread OP, check mine.

That would involve removal of a feature in favor of pushing one subjective idea of fun. I'm not here to advocate for it, I think everyone has the right to have fun. I just want to add one optional feature for those with the alternative idea of fun without betraying the old fans. This quicksave is optional.

We must not observe only from the small scope, but also from the big scope. In a grand scale of things, challenge is one of the points of Dark Souls, and above all points, there is entertainment that DS devs wanted to deliver. Everyone has their own idea of which point delivers the greatest entertainment, and everyone should be given a right to enjoy it. Players are not the servant to the video game, it's the other way around.

The most important thing is, all games are supposed to be built around fun. No, I'm not against those whose idea of fun is to be obedient to the game's rules of design, I respect them. Delivering entertainment is more important than rigid rules for the players, so there should be an option to facilitate all play styles regardless the rules of design to support all ideas of entertainment.

No, it doesn't have the same quality of animations and sound effects as Dark Souls.

you know its true

God yes

aww crap

Do you think the time mechanic from Majora's mask is fun all the time? Do you think that the Missile commander being unwinnable is fun? I think that some mechanics can enforce barriers and it's dependent on the player to determine if that mechanic is fun or not. I play a lot of roguelikes, permadeath is not always fun but I accept it as part of the mechanical draw to the whole genre.

Part of what Makes the Souls games fun is that they have a watered down version of perma-death. I can lose some resources if I can't learn from a mistake on the second go around in an area. Dying in a souls game and losing resources is not always fun but it contributes to the overall feel of the game.

So no, I disagree with the idea that all mechanics have to be built around fun. I think creating a specific feel to your game is more important than trying to make sure people are happy. Quicksaving would destroy the current feel and tone of the souls games.

Mechanics are build around engaging the player, fun is a secondary concern.

You just contradicted yourself. How can something be a universal improvement for the experience if everyone has a different idea of what they like from a game? Unless you just mean it will improve your experience.
Elaborate ruse of true full retard.

Tarkovsky poster pls go. Games have always been about competition. Fun is a byproduct.

much better thing to do; remove input lag
to word it to fit into your context, put input lag numbers to fucking 0

If you want to play a crowd killer play RE 5, it's at least balls out about being that
Any RE game would improve greatly if they brought back the old controls and camera, it's much easier to scare people that way and it creates tension because your gun vaguely points at what you want to shoot at, so the idea of you shooting at a head isn't going to play into it by very much.

>>>/reddit/

That's the point, it's no good if a game is too restrictive in defining what is fun or not.

That's why I'm suggesting a separate game mode, or a cheat code. Players should be allowed to bring their personal emotion to the game, we have different different feeling and different idea of the tone of the game.

We're engaged because we have fun. Without enjoyment, there would be no engagement. Entertainment is objectively the foundation of all concern in this medium as I have explained before.

No appeal can be truly universal. Even so, it is important for the developer to be a humble servant to the consumer. If everyone has a different idea of what they like from a game, then it would be great to provide them all what they want, a good developer would know how to let some of their consumers have fun without alienating others with different ideas of fun. That's my purpose of OPTIONAL quicksave feature.

It's true that the general population think that what makes souls games good is the challenge. By plebeian, I mean the voice of the majority.

I have no word for this.

go
back
to
>>>/reddit/

I don't even think that RE was ever scary. They should work more on the aesthetics rather than the gameplay if they want to make a scary game.

I'm replying to each individual point.

What is this ebin meme I keep seeing around here lately? This is the same way I've always spaced my posts because it makes them easier to read. Ever heard of a paragraph, user?

So
space
it
everyone
else
who
has
been
here
before
you
or
LURK
MOAR

I miss the days of telling faggots to GTFO en mass, now you get one guy per thread telling people to fuck off or LURK MOAR.
What a shame.

You're not as old as you think you are, user.

>>>/reddit/

I'm old enough to know what is wrong with this image.

Fuck me I forgot I still had my version of it, I've been looking for that for the frEYEday night threads. So to backpedal, I know what is right with that image, but the effect is gone a bit, I'd say.

By definition, all games have restrictions on how they define their gameplay and by extension "fun".
You don't walk into pacman expecting galaga because the rules are different. Why would you want the souls games to incorporate quick saving when it undermines the core experience. How that game defines it's "fun".

That's not logistically possible given how From software designs these games user. Why would they put in a second game mode that would have to be rebalanced and tweaked to compensate for players being able to play a consequence-free souls game?

Games can only accommodate every person's preference so much user. What you are asking for is for a version of a souls game where you don't feel as much pressure to succeed or improve. That's against the core of the franchise which is having challenging (but fair) gameplay.

We're engaged because we are interested in what is happening. Whether that is because we are having fun. We desire to overcome a challenge. We lock ourselves into the grind so we can get to the fun stuff later. The reasons are varied.

The "games should be fun" line of reasoning is flawed. Some of the best games I've played have had things intentionally put in there to limit my experience or cause some frustration, but their presence allowed the developers to create experiences that have no equal. I'm not talking about shitty control schemes or bad graphics. I'm talking the survival mechanics from Robinson's Requiem, Majora's Masks time mechanic, and even the various flavors of Perma-death found in games.

FUCK
WHY DO YOU FAGGOTS INSIST ON DOING THIS?
IT'S LIKE GOING TO SOMEONE'S HOUSE AND SHITTING IN THEIR SINK AND WASHING YOUR HANDS IN THEIR TOILET. IT'S LIKE WHAT'S HAPPENING IN GERMANY RIGHT NOW; YOU DON'T FUCKING SET UP YOUR OWN RULES IN A NEW PLACE, YOU GO THERE AND YOU CONFORM TO THEIR RULES AND CULTURE, YOU STAY THE FUCK OUT OF SIGHT AND YOU ASSIMILATE, MOTHER FUCKER, YOU DON'T JUST START TRENDS BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU DID BACK ON YOUR OTHER SHIT SITE
I WISH YOU WOULD AT LEAST GET YOUR OWN FUCKING BOARD WHERE YOU CAN ALL BE FAGGOTS AND CIRCLE JERK ABOUT HOW GREAT IT IS TO USE DOUBLE SPACED LINES TO MAKE THE THREADS HARDER TO READ AND INCREASE THE SIZE OF YOUR POSTS BY DOUBLE

But that's wrong.

So did you confuse me for someone else faggot or are you just raging at my spacing?

YOUR SPACING IS THE PROBLEM, FAGGOT

Seems like the problem is you.

You fucking sand niggers all think the same, you spics, you kikes, you wops, you fucking savages

This isn't true.
You don't have to be having fun to engage in something

Yes and no, while a developer makes games for his audience, he is still the one making games and has his own vision and design to respect. And it's not going to be a design everyone likes. Not every customer is in your audience, however, so why would you appeal to them anyways? Why would you appeal to some customers who want something completely different than what your other customers want?
You're saying that every product should appeal to everyone? You realize how flawed that idea is? You can't have a single, consistent vision for the design of a game if you factor in every player's potential enjoyment because everyone has different, and often contradicting ideas of what they like from games. It's the same attitude AAA devs have had recently with their big budget flops. Either you create a schizophrenic experience with little direction, or you create something shallow as hell that doesn't appeal to anyone all that much. Appealing to everyone is appealing to no one.
Fuck this word. There is no OPTIONAL game feature, a game's design has to balanced around all of its features. If the feature is "optional" and goes against the existing design than it undermines it completely and just stands out awkwardly. If the developer were to then try and balance a game for that kind of feature, like I previously stated, it creates schizophrenic, inconsistent design.

Alternatively have the units automatically turn to "face" something the first time they are attacked, but only once per "turn" (in CTB-terms the turn would get refreshed when the character moves again.)

1-1 fights would stay as Face-Face combat in a organic manner in most cases, while adding additional importance to the order you have your units attack enemies to make sure your stronger ones get the flanking bonus.

Yeah, that's why many games have cheat codes, so those who feel that the restrictions hinder the entertainment value won't be let down. To not add cheat codes or alternative game mode is a cruel thing to do.

That's not just possible, but inevitable. Difference in perception is inevitable, we're not robots manufactured to think and feel the same. And all I'm asking for is some kind of cheat code, modability from .cfg files, quicksave patch, doesn't have to be a game mode. That's against the core of the franchise? How many times should I say that the game is a servant to us, not the other way around.

Such interest can only happen with a catharsis, not an engagement with the challenge. Catharsis is purely derived from the imagery, the artistic value, not the competitive value of the game. Competitiveness is an entertainment, not a catharsis. You're desire to overcome a challenge is a part of your idea of entertainment. Hence, you're interested because you're having fun with it, even when you're frustrated you're having still fun with your frustration, because the frustration is thrilling. Your fun is derived from the thrill.

What is an engagement? Engagement is a psychological conviction to something. When we're engaged with our partner, that means our love is convicted to him/her. When we see or hear a piece of art, our engagement is an emotional release, an emotional investment in the aesthetic value of the art piece. And when we watch an action movie, our engagement is on the thrill of what happens on the screen, this engagement is classified entertainment. Which engagement is it that is derived from overcoming challenge of a video game? I'm sure it isn't the emotional engagement one.

How pompous could someone be that he wants only his vision and his perspective to be respected? With such selfish attitude, he doesn't deserve to create anything for other people, he should just live in a bubble, in a safe space, in a vacuum, masturbating to his creation. This individualistic attitude is an equivalent to modern artists who draw paintings with their menstruation blood and want it to be considered as a piece of art. If the embodiment of his vision is only for himself, it doesn't deserve to be sold, and if he still tries to sell it, it deserves to be torn apart, burned, and trashed by the consumer, for it is supposed to have zero value for them.

But a developer must try his best to be a servant to everyone. For example, by doing simple things such as adding cheat codes, he would be a servant to all his customer without alienating those with the same vision as him. What's so hard and catastrophic about adding cheat codes? Japanese developers usually don't add cheat codes probably because they have this pompous attitude that only their vision matters, or maybe they're just extremely stupid and ignorant, or just autistic. They're extremely flawed in this regard.

What is it about a video game's balance that has to be obeyed and respected? Is it a nuclear warhead, which will lead to a massive holocaust if it's technical rules are ignored? Why can't there be an option to disobey the rules in a digital toy? There are those who like to play by the rules, and there are those who don't, it's that simple, video game consumer base can be broken down into these two kinds of players. Isn't creating a cheat code or a simple patch to facilitate the second demographic of consumer simple as hell and wouldn't bother the first demographic who love to play by the rules?

It's called indenting paragraphs, you fuck.

Alright, you are a faggot and we're gonna need some nice repeating digits to salvage this shit.

Man by chance I still had this tab open. Don't pull me back into this thing user.

All of this can be summed up as "this is what I think". I haven't used cheat codes in a game in possibly 5 years. Last time was during one of many replays of Half Life 2 and that was it. Not having cheat codes hasn't made my gaming experience any less or hindered the entertainment value of a game. None of the souls games until the PC versions had cheat codes or mods and they were still both great games.

Not to mention that cheat codes is a broad term. Some cheats let you skip whole levels, others give you varying types of items and equipment. Then you have traversal and developer tools that were kept accessible like No-clip. Some games like GTA benefit from cheat codes because they give the player the means to sow more chaos. I fail to see how cheat codes would enhance a souls game in a meaningful way. Especially since the game is also built around multiplayer invasions and any cheat code would imbalance that immediately.

So what? If an artist of studio wants to create a game with a specific feel to it that is what you the consumer will get. How you react to it is up to you but the feature you are asking for WILL break a souls game. It is a major design choice to have death mean something and quicksaving removes that element and the associated mechanics which is a considerable list when you consider how levels are designed to accomodate the shorter game loops between bonfires.

You are asking developers to intentionally break their game. From didn't want you to have cheat codes so they didn't put them in. Simple as that, either adapt or stay frustrated.

That might be true for you but the cathartic moment for me is finally being able to put all the time I spent grinding to use. The actual grinding has no good feelings for me most of the time. Catharsis is walking into a boss fight and suppressing all their abilities with debuffs and rolling over them with an overlevelled team.

The problem I have is that from the beginning you haven't just been asking for a handicap to a particular game. You want a function added that goes against the core design of a game. And while I'm not this other guy I want to say this.

Fuck you and the post modernist idea of "death of the author". How self centered do you have to be to assume that people aren't allowed to make something along their own vision or preferences and that you as an individual consumer have the right to demand they accommodate your vision for their product? How retarded do you have to be to compare a guy creating a game with a set goal to people using their period blood for art?

I see this talking point also brought up with Metal Gear Solids 1-3, along with Peace Walker. If you have to gimp the controls to make players work how you want them to, that needs to be fixed in the level design or enemy behavior. There is no valid reason for intentionally designing sub-par controls.

For any MMO

Remove levels, make it about armor/weapons/spells

This is also an argument I see a lot. Wonder why that is.

Games are just toys they're a product for your entertainment, not a way for an artist to express himself. I paid money for it so I should be able to do what I want in it.

This games are art bullshit is what lead to movie games and depression quest.

No, this is not what I think. It is you who's talking from your own perspective. I rarely use cheat codes either, but the existence of cheat codes wouldn't hinder the entertainment of the game either for those who don't want to use it, since they're not automatically active.

Well don't use the feature if you think it will break the game. For other people it won't break the game but rather enhance it, you're not one of those people then it's okay.

That's not catharsis. Catharsis is tantamount to faith in religion, a purgation. There is absolutely no catharsis in gameplay of a video game, it's just intuition that comes after solving something.

I've been saying from the beginning that it should be optional, but people here seem to not understand that optional means they really don't have to use it if they don't want to.

They're allowed to, in fact they really have to, but to only recognize their own vision and their own idea is selfish.

I've said that the demographic of video game player can roughly be separated into two groups. Those who like the difficulty and those who don't. I can't be the only one who dislike the difficulty. By cheat codes or optional features, it's easy to provide what the second group demands without hindering the developer's vision.

They're comparable in a way that they believe that everyone goes through the same set of "artistic" procedures to reach the same revelation and perceive the work the same way as they do.

They're intentionally made more inefficient. There's better ways to discourage simple shooting action than gimping the controls.

Ok, Dante. let's all be thankful this unimaginative faggot was not allowed a single iota of input into the design.

You've been saying it should be optional as if that is a valid defense and I am telling you that even if it is optional it goes against what the developers want for their game. This is not an argument, auto saves force you to take ownership for your mistakes in a souls game and the game is built around that.

Why add a feature that invalidates a core part of your gameplay and the challenge you are putting up to the player? Why even dangle that in front of people when you spent years designing a game that is built around challenging the player and making them accept the results of their efforts?

Then I hate to say this but maybe the souls games aren't for you? I know it's a meme but the Souls games are the kind of "hard but fair" kind of game. If someone like DSP can bet them by spamming miracles, I think you can beat a souls game. Whether you like a game that has no qualms killing you or not is up to you.

You have just described art and entertainment across all of human history. You think everyone got Beethoven's music? Or the opera Carmen? So what if a creator has a specific vision for their work, it's their prerogative. We as consumers now have to decipher a meaning and value from the work. We also choose to like or dislike that final product.

Catharsis: purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity and fear) primarily through art
I.e. when I need to play a game, or part of a game that isn't fun, and get to a part that is more enjoyable than the time I put in before, that moment is cathartic. Because I am relieving that emotion through the act of playing the game.

The reality is you want other people to conform to your ideas just as much as the developers want people to play their game on their terms. Thing is, I like it when a dev is selfish because that can mean they won't add unnecessary items to their games just because fans want them. Fans by and large are dumb when it comes to game design. Look at kickstarter campaigns and backer votes. They do more to fracture the fanbase than please people. Every character vote or mechanic vote I've seen ends with people leaving en masse because of internal fighting and waifu wars, or the devs stepping in and leaning on the option they had already favored.

From Software listened to fans between games and tried and accommodate as much as they can while still maintaining the idea for the game in the process. That's why you get stuff like Soul Memory in DaSII because people got tired of how invasions were balanced, which turned out to be a poorly received idea, but you also get Estus flasks which was a much more well received mechanic and an answer to herb chugging in DeS. I trust a good developer to make a good decision on their own merits at the end of the day, not just add every feature that people ask for, but to gauge what is best for the game as a whole. But you can only bend a vision so far and that is why you get games like Bloodborne, because the devs want to try new ideas without compromising the vision of the previous game.

Why is it so hard to realize that not every experience in life has to give you a pair of crutches to get through them? Do you watch a movie and walk away thinking the director should have added a scene explaining all the stuff you didn't understand?

Kindly learn to not chug estus when standing in front of a boss and how dodge rolls work
that last sentence is sarcasm in case that wasn't clear

THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS
Skyrim with Arkane combat would have been a god-tier game.

found the nigger who actually just can't read at all

But it isn't gimping when they work in the context of the game. The core of video games is interaction and like it or not making the controls a certain way is an effective and valid way to control how the player will approach your game. No idea why you felt the need to bring up Peace Walker since it's literally a third person shooter.

Or Mgs 1 for that matter since it was just an evolution of MG1&2's control scheme hell you realize that tps games on the psx weren't a thing right?

Souls games aren't actually fun.
This is coming from a dude who beat Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

I don't want to play another one. It's boring as fuck, and the whole reason isn't because the game is HARD, it's because every time you die you have to walk all the way back from a point where the hard stuff usually isn't at, and you can run past most of the enemies anyway after you know where they are.

In old hard games, those enemies followed you and you still had to go through the level, but most of Dark Souls is easily skippable, and same with Bloodborne. And no, i'm not going to install whatever mod you reccomend because the game's combat is just plain not fun to slog through.

Well, then they're selfish. They created video games to convey their idea, not to please their audience. This "core of the gameplay" thing is the idea that they're trying to push. They're thankless to the audience who play their game if they don't even bother to implement something as innocent as cheat codes for offline mode. Defending their right to push their idea makes you sound like those online magazines that criticize "entitled gamers".

I've told you that I like a lot of the aspects of it, no game is truly not for someone especially if they like it.

Beethoven was a very humble artist who dedicated his music for everyone in the world to hear. “I despise a world which does not feel that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy”, one of his famous writings from his letters. Of course no man-made creation is truly universal, there will always be barriers, but humble and authentic creators will try with try with all their might to overcome these barriers.

We inevitably do have to decipher the meaning of all works due to the inevitable barriers, but when the creator intentionally created his or her creation to be deciphered, there is nothing more pompous and thankless than that.

I have said that it's just an intuitive feeling that got aroused within yourself after solving something in your game, the moment when logic is replaced by intuition. An artistic image in the other hand must be purely intuitive, it has to spark sudden flashes of illumination in a way our conscious thought can not understand. That's what true catharsis is, this is my way of separating entertainment from artistic revelation. A video game is nothing beyond entertainment, as the catharsis is artificial.

Yes I do, I demand something from them, but I don't want them to conform to my ideas, my idea is a lot more complex and demanding than that. Implementing cheat codes is a way to provide my needs without conforming to my idea.

The thing is it's not a part of game design, my demand is like putting subtitles on a foreign movie.

That's because they changed the online play, of course it would break the game. Mechanic for manipulating offline play however is purely innocent for them and other gamers.

sex

realistic blood effects, which is severely lacking in games these days.

I think that will greatly improve all games involving violence regardless of the genre.

Not it's not you retard. Adding subtitles is a matter of accessibility so the viewer can actually interpret what the film is saying. You want added mechanics that trivialize and dumb down several aspects of the game's design because you don't like it.

You can easily circumvent the teleport behind you by having a punishment disengagement attack if you move away from an enemy in an one on one fight. This also helps your tanks punish enemies that try to go after any squishier units by moving past them.

Barriers are barriers. Some are easily avoided, some are not. Both language and rules in gameplay are two barriers that can easily be avoided. Of course it would be a lot more effective to understand the foreign director's vision by learning his language and culture intensively, maybe we need to be born and grow up in his homeland as well. Poetry can't be translated and it's a form of dumbing down of an artistic value to try to translate a poem. But regardless, we translate films and poems, because what really matters is we can personally experience the director's vision albeit toned down. The same can be said for cheat codes. I fought the boss Sif with all my effort, after 3-4 hours of countless attempts I had no reason not to gave up. It's fair to say that I need to cheat the game mechanic, the game is just too inaccessible to me. I think it's not humble for creators to be elitist and demand so much of an effort from their audience.

Well then go play a different game you filthy millenial.
BOO HOO I WANNAH PLAY I WANNAH PARTICIPATION TROPHY
Either git gud or play something else. Maybe Todd Howard can recommend something that would be up to speed with you.
Also sif is one of the easiest fucking bosses, just rollNo really, don't tank his hits, just ROLL

No, I just want to see shiny swords, shiny armors, and weighty animations. They're something that Todd couldn't provide.

Well I did roll, but you can't roll forever even with the grass shield, you need to be offensive sometimes too.

Overwatch

When he swings at you right to left, you roll into him.
You stay between his legs. When you are under him he can't dmg you (He can jump backwards to created distance, but that does no dmg, only a 2 second stagger). He spins around like an autist so you can get hits in.
Now stop being a sissy and play the way it was meant to be played.

I've did everything you said, and even experimented more. It's just tedious to die and run back and forth like a million times, I can't even spare any souls to level up. I really don't get the enjoyment from the difficulty.

The game crushes you because you are nothing and a nobody. The gods are dead and the heroes are mad. You are a worm, wriggly through a giant bloated corpse of a world. Death is meant to teach you to overcome pain until you finally succeed and feel like a champion. People like it so much because YOU have to force it's dick out of your mouth and make it bend over to get fucked. That kind of triumph was last seen with games like castlevania 3 or ninja gaiden.
Easy mode : Halbert / long thrusting weapon
Super easy mode : Magic
Ultra easy speedrunner lvl 1 abuse mode : Pyromancy

Don't roll around until you deplete stamina, roll only before the attack almost hits you. It takes effort and willpower to get the timing down, and when you do, nothing compares to the dopamine rush.

The first time I played a souls game I had to give up several hours of playtime to restart because I couldn't beat sif. Whenever I replayed the game he was piss easy though. You have to look at it from his perspective. Every boss he's encountered was strong in one area but weak in others
Meanwhile sif is fast as fuck and hits like a train while being able to dodge attacks. If people didn't know that you can go between his legs to be in a blind spot they'd have a hard time. be honest no one sane would've thought to charge that monster the first playthrough

No, I actually crushed the game with cheat engine. I'm not a masochist, I have my own idea of fun. It's just the devs are too selfish to let me do it, so I tweaked it by my own.

I don't get how people can you possibly enjoy that. I have nothing against those who do though.

Then the game isn't for you. There are "clever uses of game mechanics" that fall withing the acceptable limits. These are sniping enemies and using the a.i to your advantage.
Cheating to beat any game means it isn't for you.
It's like when they lower entrance exam so more blacks can get it, and then all the blacks fail because they can't deal with the material they are meant to study.

It pisses me off. My options are always:

For fuck sake, can I RP as an RP character or do I have to be a "Evil character…who is still progressive" at all times?

Silly user, Bioware doesn't make good or evil characters, they make "nice and character" or "asshole character that still does everything the nice character does".

The game is built around this concept. If you remove this feature, then the game becomes a fundamentally different experience, and it is clear that Miyazaki and his people intend for the player to experience loss. You're trying to undermine their vision.
No, no it isn't. The game isn't all that fast paced. You must either run or shoot, you can't do both at the same time. Some enemies will move slowly and others will move quickly. Some use projectiles while others use melee attacks. The enemies are designed with your mobility in mind. Leon's movement is restricted so that the player doesn't have too much agency. If the player were able to go Duke Nukem on every enemy they encounter, the game would lose any tension that comes arises from the restrictions put in place. The devs wanted to make you feel restricted, and so the control scheme reflects that. This is also the case with Dark Souls.
The devs intended for the player to experience loss and hardship. This gameplay element is meant to reflect the feeling of hopelessness and frustration that you would feel if you actually lived in a mad and dying fantasy realm. In other words, the hardships you face as a player are another facet of the atmosphere and it's used to develop the game's tone. It doesn't matter what you want because the devs are trying to create a focused experience, and any meddling would interfere with this process.
Not necessarily. Games can provide an experience. I'm not going to claim that games are art, but fun is only one of the myriad of emotions a game can make you feel. You can feel sorrow, rage, disgust, hatred, and many other things. It all depends on what the designer intended, how well they executed their vision, and how you personally respond to the final product. Fun is subjective, fun is often times secondary to the game's objectives. It's difficult to make a game that is universally considered fun because people have differing expectations and desires.
The game does not define fun. You define fun. You play the game and determine whether or not you can have fun with its systems. If you can't, it's not the game's fault.
I've already explained to you that the cheat engine exists. Go and use it if you wish to cheat your way through the game. You can have infinite stamina and health, you can have all the items in the game, and you can have infinite souls. Go ahead. However, you must acknowledge that these things are exploits and would destroy the game if they were implemented from the start.
We're engaged because the game has compelling content. That content does not have to be fun as long as it keeps your attention and desire to see it through. Entertainment is a very broad category that encompasses many ideas, fun is only one of them.
THE FUCKING CHEAT ENGINE EXISTS YOU BETTER LEARN TO USE IT MOTHERFUCKER
Yes, yes it is. What don't you understand about the game being developed with a specific direction in mind? They wanted you to lose progress, they wanted you to feel anger or sorrow or hopelessness when you hit a road block. They wanted you to be careful with your resources and when you traverse the world. Everything from the stamina bar and input buffering to status ailments, pitfalls and incredibly strong enemies emphasize this concept. It's not that hard to understand, you FUCKING MONGREL. IT'S LIKE TALKING TO A BRICK WALL WITH YOU. YOU BETTER BE PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED I FUCKING SWEAR I'LL FIND YOU AND SHIT DOWN YOUR THROAT YOU NIGGER.

While on the topic of saving, this game needs to automatically load your last save when you die, or at least show a "yes/no" prompt. As it is, I have to press esc, drag the floaty as fuck cursor to the "Last Save" button, and then click yes. Too much work for my lazy ass.

Just rebind the quickload button
Dont actually do this, I warn you

It's too true. I just find it funny that I can genocide an entire group of people but hey! Don't you DARE say my party member is not a stronk inderpendant womyn!

I mean for fuck sake, I just let two kids die and you're telling me my character is all for "equal rights for chocolate bars"

Befeated players drop gear that you can pick up.
Even things that only exist ONCE in their world.

Get on my level ningen

It doesnt work that way games are more than the sum of their parts. You think like a chinaman.

GAMERS ARE DEAD user
IT'S ALL BONES! BONES!!!!

Breaking things down to their component parts with no greater vision. That's a chinese brain you got in your skull, son.

I disagree, you are wrong

Chinese Brain.
In your skull.

Baby I'm so right.

Feels like I'm running on nothing but gasoline over here.

Ah gasoline. The goto power source for chinamen the world over.

Mouse support.

I'll have you know I am 100% pure aryan finnish.

What an obtuse faggot you are.

Gimping the controls shouldn't be necessary. The damage each gun does in MGS2 is the only adjustment necessary to drive the message home. Anyone running in guns-a-blazing after the third try is too stupid to be playing this game. Why is it so important for you to gimp the controls to accommodate these retards?

You would have to bend the rules a bit for some classes, I think. Mounted units tend to be really good as it is, so when they have no trouble reaching an enemy's back it's just ridiculous. Say if a mounted unit takes damage from behind, they fall off their animal and have to spend a turn to re-mount. Until then they're just a mediocre soldier. Either that or they can't counter-attack from behind, the idea being that they're too big to turn quickly.

What part of MGS didn't come from a shooting background and developers can make all sorts of control schemes even ones you don't like don't you understand. You don't have to like it but it isn't up to you at all thay's just a fact that you need to deal with.

This series is from an isometric stealth background and only really went full tps stealth hybrid with the fourth entry. Why does it bother you so much that metal gear doesn't come from a shooter backgroud? No seriously why? You can always play something else if you can't adapt to the controls.

Seriously look up what MG actually evolved from and what the solid titles are iterating on it's not doom or the nonexistant tps games from the psx era it's top down stealth. If you dislike that so much play something that is more accomodating to your tastes and shut up.

Cars

Good, as stated I like selfish devs who know what their game needs and what it doesn't.

Why are these two mutually exclusive?

Try saying that when I am arguing for quick saves in a souls game instead of arguing for the rights of the Dev to not needlessly clutter their design with back asswards features.

Nice quote. It's also true that Beethoven's temper is legendary and much like other musical genius' of that era he was more consumed with his sound than what other people wanted from his sound. He made music the way he wanted and people liked it or didn't. Show me proof that some guy walked in and said "if only your music was in 4/4 instead of 3/4, maybe I can get into it more" and Beethoven didn't beat him with a cane.

I'm not arguing semantics with you. The word applies and no amount of mental gymnastics you perform (of which you are a gold medalist) is going to change my mind. Maybe someone else can.

Someone else already addressed this but to reiterate. No. what you want are not subtitles. You want the ability to stop the movie while in the theater and rewind it back to a part you blinked through.

So next time just say you want a reverse company of Champions where the game is made easier instead of harder.

Honestly I hope you are just a dedicated troll. Because people like you only exist in click bait articles on gaming journalist sites. Why play a souls game when you want the game to just bend over for you when you hit a brick wall. If you had problems with Sif did you A)Change your tactics?
B) Try new weapons and then adjust your tactics?
C) Summon a helper?

If all else failed just spec yourself for miracles and spam lightning bolt until he's dead or you run out. I don't believe that you just rage quit at Sif and then lost hours of gameplay when the game is designed to let you change so much about your character without having to defeat the challenge you might get hung up on.

Do you not know about CTRL + Space bar?

I know!
Silly image maker, that's a Bloodlines reference, not something from Divine Cybermancy.

Speaking of E.Y.E., one thing you could remove to improve it are the fucking research briefcases.

You know what, you people see video games as a supreme form of competition, while I see it as a set of animated images that can deliver enjoyment through feedback and interactivity. Why am I not allowed to bring bring my personal ideas into the game? We're allowed to do it when reading books, watching films, or doing fun activities of our own, but why not in video games? In books, I'm free to define what the character means to me, what the plot truly is, and what I like from the imagery. Well, I see video game as the same thing, albeit without artistic images and with a little bit of competition and forms of interactivity to tie all the resources together.

Wow, talking to you people is getting this discussion nowhere. People should be allowed to bring their personal ideas and experience to a media, and no, it wouldn't destroy the concept if the director knows how to facilitate those who don't agree with them. And undermining their vision, well, I've said that creators are supposed to be a servant to their audience, it's my absolute freedom to interpret their creation.

When talking RE4, I'm talking about the aesthetic inconsistency between the cutscenes, cinematic movements, and the actual gameplay. Is Leon an acrobatic superhuman or a slow retard? Probably it's a matter of absolutely bad writing. They need to fix one of those aspects.

Maybe, but I'm saying that symbolism is a sign of incompetency of the creator.

Yes, but what kind of experience? And it what way does it arouse an emotion? Is it a player's intuition or an emotional manipulation? What you consider as a "focused experience" is a form of emotional manipulation. The devs want you to feel this specific way from their game, no room for your personal idea. I think such emotional manipulation is what makes any media an entertainment, the directed emotion. The sorrow, rage, disgust, hatred, are all a part of the fun, you're addicted to sorrow and rage, that's how fun works because fun isn't a specific emotion but the state of psychological conviction to entertainment value.

Of course I do, all the time, and the dev should be able to cope with that.

That's not the point, I'm criticizing the dev, not the game.

Yes, the barriers of emotional manipulation, symbolism, creator's emotional selfishness. It was incompetency all along for not knowing the true potential of a video game.

Funny, I feel the same way about you all. No, I get you, I truly get you, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you even from the basic concepts. It's you who doesn't understand it, I had to repeat my arguments over and over again.

Hey, who creates something for who here? Who is a servant to who? I'm not asking much of a customization, and the devs failed to justify why they can't deliver it.

Of course they're not the same, but barriers are barriers. They're all an obstruction to mutual interpretation (between creator and consumer) of a work.

That's not what selfishness means, really. Professionalism is one thing, forcefully pushing an idea is another thing. A humble professional recognizes his vision and his audience, and makes no contradiction between the two of them.

That's a good question. A creator must live with the fact that they will never meet all of their consumer's demand. There are two approaches in coping with this. One is to let their consumer consume their creation in any way they want, the other one is to ignore the existence of their annoying consumer and create something that would only please themselves. Of course both would shape their creation according to their own image, but the humble creator would give a freedom of interpretation.

More like wanting to just sit back and listen to it instead of playing it by yourself and studying it. I've been talking about the artist's respect for audience's personal idea anyway, how did we even get to talk about Beethoven? What is it to "get" in music other than it sounds pretty? How can a musician's vision even become "specific" in music?

Music is the most open to interpretation among all art form. Musicians can push their ideas to a much greater extent and the audience will still be able to bring their personal ideas and emotion. As long as they don't go full Schoenberg, you know that they want to present their music to other people instead of just themselves. But even though so, people can still make their own personal interpretation of Schoenberg's music easily.

Film is a bit more comparable to video games than music. For example, let's compare Sergei Eisenstein to Tarkovsky. In Alexander Nevsky, Sergei heavily edited the battle of the ice scene to be in sync with Prokofiev's score. He was like telling the audience, "this is a heroic scene and you have to feel heroic about it", no room for personal interpretation. Now Tarkovsky, the opening scene of Zerkalo where the woman had a conversation with an awkward stranger might mean a lot to the director who created this film as a dedication of his childhood memories, but he doesn't force the audience to feel the same about it, it was an emotionally neutral scene with no "relevancy" to the main plot if there's any. It was just an image for anyone else, God knows what interpretation they made out of that scene, they freely make their own point of that film. This is how freedom of interpretation works, and I think this is the truth of art that is inevitable even if Sergei hated it.

And we haven't even talked about Opera Carmen yet. I'm not into theatrical works though, so sorry, I can't comment on that.

You're the one who wrote primarily through art. That means I was right that catharsis has to be integral to aesthetics. You're contradictory to even the definition that you picked by yourself. We don't need to argue over this, okay, but you need to acknowledge that it's you who doesn't understand the meaning of the word and misused it.

Mental gymnastics? Let me phrase my argument in one single sentence: I want to have fun, I have my own idea of fun, and that idea isn't too far fetched, like, at all. It's not my fault we have to go this deep and I have to explain my argument over and over and over again.

No, I want the director to acknowledge the importance of cheat codes for those who don't agree with his idea of fun.

If they're actually critical of their controversial opinion, then it's alright I guess.

BECAUSE I LIKE SHINY ARMORS, PRETTY MOVING PICTURES, AND FUNNY CHUNKY SOUND EFFECTS

My God, how many billion times should I say that that's what the game truly means to me, not the challenge? God, what a bunch of dense people here.

That's a very pretty way of saying you want people to have to accept your idea because of some misplaced sense of selfishness/professionalism.

Well I am also the audience of this game and I don't want to see the game made more casualized with necessary features. Does that mean they should consider me as well?

I presented the textbook definition of the word. I stand behind it. Perhaps I consider video games art while you seem to only see it as a toy for your entertainment? Did that occur to you?

Lol, well there is a cheat engine but man do you not understand how the souls games are designed. The Company of Champions was a DaSII covenant that locked the player in offline mode but increased the difficulty of the enemy encounters. So for you who wants a feature that would make online impossible having a Company of Scrubs would be ideal. That ways the devs don't have to break their own gameplay and you can feel good that you made it through a game.

Think real hard about what you just read, and what you just said.

Congrats moron, what you want is to be able to finish a game. Well most games ask you to do it on their terms. Either "git gud", research if a game actually has a cheat engine, or stop bitching on an image board because nobody here is obligated to agree with your mindset here.

I like fighting games. I wish to be good at fighting games because winning in those games if fun. That means I must put in time to understand the system, my chosen characters, and my matchups. Years ago I bitched that fighting games were too hard and that I could only be good at smash bros because the controls were simpler. Then a friend of mine BTFO of me because he's a tourney fag and I realized that instead of bitching about inputs I needed to shut up and learn how to actually play the games.

After that moment I actually improved and now I can have fun playing the fighting games I love on their terms. If the game isn't one that doesn't appeal to my idea of fun I don't learn it. If it is and I encounter that initial barrier of execution (combo strings, character mechanics, etc) I overcome it.

Do the same faggot. Stop crying and actually learn how to play the game on it's terms. Whether you have fun then is up to you.

Then why play a game marketed around it's challenge? Do you think you'll get a gold start for beating it? Did you want to join the bandwagon and play that "cool super hard game" that everyone was talking about?

You are the type of person who shitposts for days on end, then goes into your own mind and declares yourself the victim. You presented an idea and it was not well accepted by the people of this thread. Deal with it.

OP might actually be proof that low functioning veggies can function on the internet.

It's not your game. You didn't create it, and as I have said before, the developers don't have any obligation to cater to your specific tastes. To clarify, I am not saying that the developer shouldn't ever take player feedback into consideration. They absolutely should, however they must do so cautiously and sparingly while prioritizing their own goals. Everyone, as illustrated by you, is entitled to their opinions. That is fine, you are free to express your opinions to whoever will listen. However, and pay attention now

THE DEV IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO GIVE A SHIT

Do you get it? Read it again until it seeps into your thick skull. So, you think Dark Souls would be better with quicksaves? Incredible! Your opinion is duly noted, now fuck off back to reddit. You can come up with any manner of shitty opinions, but you don't get to dictate every single aspect of a game's design to the designer and expect a 1:1 representation of what you envisioned. Oh, hey, there's that word again! ENVISION. You should look it up.
All of your problems could be solved by using the cheat engine. That way, you can play the game how you like and the fundamental integrity of the game is left unscathed. Sorry, but Dark Souls would not be better with quicksaves, and no, RE4 wouldn't be better with FPS controls. I disagree, and most in this thread have disagreed with you. Nobody cares about your idea of fun, either play the games as the developer intended or play something else suited to your tastes. You don't get to dictate what is made by who.
YOU DON'T GET TO DICTATE HOW A GAME IS MADE
Even though you are entitled to your opinion,
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT
Go write about it on your tumblr.
Music is an open ended and largely subjective performance art that is heavily reliant on the listener's taste, that is why music is a very contentious element of any given media, and that is why anyone can have any manner of valid opinion on music. Even so, musicians create works with a direction in mind. If you're looking for high tempo, uplifting and inspirational music, people don't generally consider Slayer, even though their work could also be considered high tempo and uplifting to some with a specific taste. That is the issue here. When it comes to Dark Souls, you are listening to Slayer but you expect an Ode to Joy styled musical piece.
Tension and release of tension is all that is required for one to feel catharsis. This can be depicted in many ways, and the use of aesthetics isn't even a primarily effective way of doing so.
You'll be glad to know that both you and the author are free to interpret the finished product how you like. However, the author is the one who created it, and therefore he gets the final word on how his product is produced and what it is meant to convey.
It's an analogy. You said that "Beethoven was a very humble artist who dedicated his music for everyone in the world to hear." The implication is that you believe Beethoven created his works explicitly to cater to some audience. Then, another user said that this isn't the case, and the Beethoven was so absorbed in his work that he didn't have the time nor the desire to care about the opinions of others. He made what he wanted, the world be damned.
If it's too hard for you, you could always have a co-op partner, or simply watch someone else play the game. However, this is moot because you've already admitted that you used the cheat engine to compete the game. So, you know how to operate the cheat engine, yet you're still bitching about the difficulty as though it's a prominent obstacle in your way? Give me a break, please.

Hey, who's the one actually creating things here?

And now you've just tipped your hand Tarkovsky-user-kun. Why don't you go on about praising Todd Howard and Skyrim now?

Thank you for being better at explaining what I was trying to say.

On the actual topic of the thread I think my biggest disappointment with Advance Wars Days of Ruin was how the CO roster felt very lackluster. Part of the design changes implemented in that game regarding the new CO system was to avoid having them dictate the course of a match. No more Hawks, Colins, Nells, or the like. So they removed global passives on all Commanding officers and restrict their area of effects to a small zone around any unit where you place your commanding officer.

Overall I really like the new CO system and the CO zones but I still think there is room for stuff like producing units that were cheaper but weaker, or making a specific unit stronger once they were produced. The production passives and similar effects.

I think adding the passives back to some CO's in exchange for a their CO power, would allow for more CO's to be put in the game without overlapping roles. Thought of it when I fought General Forsythe because the map is so narrow, and he has an automatic max range CO field and 10% attack/defense buff to all units, that if felt like he was just producing units that were a little stronger than mine despite being the same level.

Basically, create two types of COs. Days of Ruin COs who have a area of effect for their buffs and a CO power. And "Vintage" Advance Wars COs who have permanent unit passives but no CO power to balance them out.

People? No, the dev only. I want the dev to accept the fact that different perspectives exist.

Well that's what cheat codes are for. You don't want it, don't use it. inb4 telling me to use cheat engine, no I'm criticizing the dev not only the game in particular.

Video game is a combination of aesthetic values and competition. If you consider the aesthetic values as art, that's okay. But the competition values definitely can't be art. The video can be seen as art, but the game is not. Getting emotional over beating a boss is the same as a football player screaming on top of his lungs after making a touchdown or Archimedes yelling Eureka after discovering buoyancy. Football and science themselves are not art to be certain.

Okay, I didn't know that. Reverse company of champions sounds good, this is definitely how they should've designed the game. Give an offline covenant with quicksaves, or just lock the game into offline mode when a cheat code is entered. So simple.

What, so to be a clickbait you need to be controversial but without much critical argument?

No I don't want to. Actually I would be happier if the game was procedurally generated so the hacking and slashing wouldn't end. It's just the tediousness of being locked in a same area with the same enemies that let me down, no one likes being locked into absolute repetitiveness no matter how shinny it is.

That's not the point, I've said that I'm criticizing the dev on their incompetency, not the game. Like, giving constructive opinion (regardless it's constrictive or not according to you). Lifeless things can't be blamed.

Well I have cheat engine so I don't need to do either of those. I don't bash the game, what part of criticizing and bashing the dev do you not understand.

I don't believe in selling points, I judge with my own intuition.

I'm not the victim. If there's anyone who is the victim here, it should be the dev. Devs, as a servant of their audience, need to crucify themselves to the dedication of achieving higher standard.

And they couldn't even prove their points.

Does my demand even hinder their own goal? If their goal is to deliver great challenge, then make a main game that delivers great challenge, but there's nothing wrong with implementing cheat code that wouldn't bother those who don't want it. If their main goal is only to emotionally manipulate players into frustration, well that's a just selfish goal.

They're certainly not breaking any law, but it's a moral obligation for a creator. Pure moral.

My 1:1 representation would be to recreate the game from scratch. It's just one simple demand.

And they don't get to dictate how a game is played. There should be a mutual respect between creator and consumer.

You don't need to care about my opinion, but by adding cheat codes or something, it's not just my demand that is fulfilled.

Yes, and the direction is also subjectively perceived. There is a lot of room for personal interpretation, as you have said about those who like Slayer. Even though there's a gaping difference between Slayer and Handel, music is still incomparable to video games.

No, I expect to listen slayer with a customizable equalizer setting in my music player software.

You're describing intuition, not specifically catharsis. Catharsis has two definitions in Merriam Webster, one of them is related to art. The catharsis that I have addressed here since the beginning is the one that is about art, the original definition of catharsis which was used to address the released of repressed feeling after a tragedy in roman drama or whatever is solved.

Yes, he's free to do that, but he wouldn't be a good artist if he does that.

Did he really not give a damn about the world? I don't think so. If he really did, he wouldn't study music theory or would make a music that only he can enjoy. This is similar to how Tarkovsky hated those who wanted his films to be explained or to be faster paced, yet let his audience to perceive his films anyway they like. An artist should be convicted to his vision, but he must also acknowledge that people will perceive their works differently. The difference between professionalism and selfishness all over again.

No, I want interactivity.

I criticize the dev, okay? For his goal to manipulate people's emotions to fit his vision. It's like saying that Bethesda games can be fixed with mods. Well, DS' devs are actually a lot worse because they didn't hand over a modding tool to fix their game according to our vision.

Creators who just want to get paid aren't dedicated creators.

What's with the weebspeak? No, I'm not ashamed to praise Todd's visionary idea of giving freedom of having fun to the player, to let them perceive freely what the game's content means to them.

>the absolute madman is actually so far gone with his subjective relativism that he believes Todd Howard is a visionary
Don't forget to pre-order Fallout 4: Special Edition

MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N

I would praise Todd Howard, if i could play at least one of his game vanilla. And i can't play too long even modded installation of oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 or 4

And morrowind wasn't entirely a Todd's game.

Or better combat based on timing your attacks.
Or absolutely rip-off Dark Messiah.
Or not fucked economy, where you have decent things to waste money on and rewards are bigger than 100 gold.
Or decent leveling system where you don't need to reset skills to progress.
Or

This would actually be interesting just to see how it would be done in FPP.

I mean I called it towards the beginning of the thread, it's that poster that loves to post about Tarkovsky and Todd Howard and fell for the relativism meme hard.

ITT

Either way there is something deeply wrong with OP

Tell me Holla Forums when did this behavior become acceptable I've never seen some retard try and argue this hard that his bad game breaking ideas are needed in a game where you can literally find a co-op partner to beat most of the level for you at the start of most areas. Or just use magic if you're too much of a dumb fuck to hold your shield up or dodge. Seriously how do you find these games hard enough that you need to use cheat engine when there are so many ways to cheese these games? Even fucking bloodborne with it's dead community has old hunter npcs you can summon to force your way through most bosses.

It pains me that people are still so retarded they don't understand the controls in RE4 are intentional

fuck off m8, all my time playing pathologic i felt stressed and worried, but it was one of the best experiences i had while playing a game, developers should only make the game they want you to play not the other way around, if you think a game is too hard then go play something else,

Todd is one of the most visionary game directors even if his games are technically flawed. It's about what he aims to deliver that makes him an auteur. His vision isn't trapped in the established standard of video game making, he doesn't refute particular ideas about game making but he's a trailblazer to a higher standard, that's what matters.

His famous quote, "great games are not made but played", is an absolute game changer. It's a remark of the importance of player's personal experience in defining video game quality, the intention to invite different responses. Sure, some of his approach to achieve this, such as radiant engine, might be a failure. Imperfection is inevitable. What Todd has done is discovering a key to the true potential of video games, how he captured the reflections of life and believes in nature as the owner of truthfulness.

But the idea to move from procedural generation to a tangible game world was his.

Relativism? I believe that the quality of a video game can be analyzed objectively. What I do believe in is artistic humility.

Conform to my specific taste? No, all games should be made according to the true inherent image of the director, but the director must acknowledge that he's not the owner of truth.

your an idiot.

That'd explain his "mods will fix it" mentality.

Honestly, I think Turing should be credited for his artistic vision for video games. By allowing users to create and play their own content to fit their needs, he truly is the greatest videogame auteur.

Now you're just posting your stock copypasta responses.
And objectively speaking the mechanics you proposed to introduce to DaS would contradict the rest of the game's design, as stated numerous times in this thread already.

Look. I dont like saying git gud but jesus christ git gud. Nice bait otherwise.

He's still at it lads

You do realize that you've completely failed in convincing anyone that you aren't a retard who should never have a say on anything having to do with game development ever right?

Doom 1.
Revenants.

Kicking severed heads at enemies causes damage

Undertale

Remove quick saves. Or player chosen saving. Save when you enter/leave location on the map.

Removal of quicksaving would instantly improve just about any PC game that has it or at least reveal the fundamental shittiness of its mechanics.

Eh, monthly char resets would make building pvp builds a pain in the ass. It took me forever to get the mats for the chaos zweihander.

I gotta ask. Why the fuck do you invade at such a low level? What honor is there in that? Are you just a Rogue without principles who does it for the spoils, or do you just want to see new players cry? Usually I don't mind but with my PC build I get invaded while I'm on a toaster and get rekd because every action the invader makes is delayed by a second or two.

It's hilarious because a lv1 SL can invade to 900+ and his levels, see you go after really high levels not just being a fucking twink that's boring. Battling 120's in Oolacile Township and kicking their asses with nothing but a few parries and black flame is amazing.
Welcome to DaS phantom hitboxes my friend, those are total bullshit but once you get the niche for them on your end you can exploit them like mad.

So you don't fuck over low level players? Fair enough then, it just erks me a bit even though its entirely fair.

Like I said it's more my rig. I literally run the game at 20FPS so pvp is out of the question for me till I get an upgrade.

It depends on the occasion, generally speaking I don't do the twink thing. I have had some amazing reactions towards it though like people ran right the fuck away in total terror. I prefer to battle levels 70+ and 100 more-so.
My desktop with a good CPU/GPU still does that shit. I wouldn't worry about it honestly.
Here's my level 1 with mask of the father he looks like a butler or something. I swap out equipment, spells, rings as I see fit or need, my souls count is from killing several really high levels and my humanity count has been capped out around twenty times from 99 I'm on the Path of the dragon 'cos I wanted to see about getting the torso stone but fuck that.

The chaos mats were piss easy. Even my level 1 has a maxed weapon, and it's no challenge once you know where the fucking slab is and the game gives you enough chunks too.

unless you beat a boss or find a bonfire you don't MAKE progress, chief

then watch a longplay on youtube

They need to add a tutorial and concrete directions in their game.

Don't bother. OP is more deranged and retarded than the average LoL player.

Op is a faggot.

I want to welcome them to the game. Make sure they understand they are not welcome and that everything and anything wants to see their shit kicked in. Also

mää

Mods will fix literally any game you play though. He's not wrong, just lazy.

What did he even say about video games?

Prove it.

And I've stated a numerous times also that by locking it into offline mode, it doesn't. You haven't disproved it, none of you.

I literally said that I don't believe in relativism.

Too bad I actually have something to do with game development in real life.

Make a Lore or TomeNET style multiplayer to Dorf Fortress. Just "control" your own mine. Glorious fun, for decades to come.

Can I remove one thing instead?

"I really, really want to replay that same portion repeatedly for an hour just because they make the bosses OP sponges with insane damage output in comparison to the player."

"No, really. Git gud like me, the guy who wasted hours of his life repeating half a map to the boss stage just to fight a cheap boss fight."

BOSSES WITH GRABS/THROWS on the NARROW BRIDGES/LEDGES
FLYING ENEMIES on a NARROW LEDGES/BRIDGES
SPEEDY LUNGING BOSS in a 2x2 square SMALL SPACE
GIANT BOSS with AOE ATTACK, AGGRO HORDE & all of it with STAT AILMENTS

Come back to me when you stop defending garbage games specifically designed to suck your life away and frustrate you.

Soulsborne gamers are the vidya equivalent to battered housewives.

Alternatively, help this crazy fuck who did these videos, to make a full conversion of the actual game. Make it go full Rance and mostly voice acted.
I'd buy that for a dollar or few.

Yes, it would. For those that want to play offline it would. You're essentially making it so that if people don't want to be invaded or otherwise deal with other players, they have to deal with features that intrude on and trivialize the game's original design. As I've said before, no matter how "optional" you make a feature, it still exists and still as an impact on the game's design.
Which only reminds everyone how fucking horrible game development is today. I look forward to mocking your games that have no clear direction and are just shallow sandboxes designed in such a way to "appeal to everyone" aka Skyrim 2.
mkay

9 times out of ten they either give you a bonfire right next to the boss or a shortcut to a bonfire. You're even worse than OP if this is what you're complaining about.

Someone is salty over Darksouls.
Most of those posts didn't even mention the game, just that quicksaves are cancer, and they are correct.

Fair or unfair bosses, if you have to cheat(say what you want, freely reverting time at will is pretty much cheating) to overcome a difficult challenge you suck.

You can prepare accordingly instead of brute forcing a fight you know. That's what it's all about. At least in the beginning.
Later on it becomes piss easy.

Learn to explore, shitlord

You don't understand it man, they're masochists. They like to be pegged and wear chastity cage or whatever that nasty thing is called. I'm not speaking against the idea that cuckoldry is fun, it is obviously fun for those who like it. I'm just against those who say that I can't get a specific wife unless I'm into cuckoldry, because she's into it. Wtf? I'm a man, she's my wife, I tell her whatever I want, even bashing her for having a gross fetish.

What the hell you're on about, it's optional.

You're a (9) poster, I have addressed that problem in my post way above there. I don't need to explain you further.

Wow, how clairvoyant! Its a nameless top down kings field meets skyrim project that we just begun this week. It has no main quest (except the introduction and final quest) and most of the dialogue means nothing beyond aesthetic value, I do most of the writing. Expect to see our alpha on gamejolt and probably agdg in a couple of months.

They're equally valid, of course. Experience can't be objective. But relativism in quality? I really don't believe that.

I excpected this exact response and you're right to a certain degree. The reason is less plebian than it seems though. I feel like espadrilles would fit the overall theme of the outfit better, with the shirt and pants being drapey, whereas the sandals have very hard contures. They'd work well with bermudas or stiffer trousers, but I'd prefer a more repaxed shoe with this fit.

As long as all you take from Skyrim is it's "open-endedness", then I'll be looking forward for your game dude.

Almost everything else from it, the combat, save mechanics, healing mechanics, character growth, etc. sucks ass.

The biggest issue in my opinion being the quicksave mechanics.
There's no tension if you can save anywhere and load after dieing negating any consequence of your death besides going baack to where you saved(that might be miles ages ago from the death or just before entering the door that killed you). Save points like in kings filed are OK, you don't need/can't constantly to cheese hard parts but can still be exploited/unfair if there is RNG based loot/upgrading or pretty much anything in the game. Autosaves with proper death mechanics that punish you without erasing gameplay is the best option, if the game is like that then I'll be eagerly waiting for it's release.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Say you have Doom 2. For some reason, the devs have added the BFG to the player's arsenal from the start and gave it infinite ammo. Would this not completely trivialize the entire design of the game? Wouldn't, y'know, playing the game be effectively pointless? Then imagine the devs later coming out and saying that it was due to feedback from people who liked the aesthetic qualities of the game, yet thought it was too hard, and that this change was just an "optional feature" for players that wanted to experience the rest of the game easier. Would this magically excuse the undermining of the whole game's challenge?

Here's an even simpler one. Say you had a character in a fighting game that had a one button kill move that was instant and unblockable. This effectively makes playing every other character in the game pointless as the most effective strategy would be to pick this OP dude, effectively making matches boil down to pushing the kill button faster than your opponent. When called out on this horrid balance would it be excused by the developers simply saying "it's just an extra option for beginners, just pick another character for real competition"?

I'm somehow not surprised at all.

Actually, hold up for a second
You're Hamburger Hepler 2.0. How could I not see this before?

And then I realize you're OP.
All hope is lost then.

That's a scarry thought

That's fancy talk for "Do what the consumer says, because I say so". You may believe that creators are slaves to the masses but that mentality will cause you to never have your own clear vision.

Give me a game with a singular focus over a sandbox game that needs my or someone else's input to be good to play.

Because you are hard of hearing and apparently can't think, let me spell out the number of mechanics that quicksaving would invalidate off the top of my head.

What is the point of creating fixed respawn points if you will just load the most recent save instead of needing to be bumped back to a secure location? Quicksaves will be your new "bonfire" and you only have to accept the results that you like and can just save scum your way through challenges. If you die to a boss and feel under-equipped, you can just reload the save you made right before the boss door, leave through the area and farm up souls until you feel comfortable.

Shortcuts have two inter-related functions. The obvious one is allowing an area to be traversed quicker. the secondary function is ensuring that if a player dies before making it to the next bonfire they can skip the earlier parts of a region and try to make it there.

This ties into Shortcuts but levels are designed around putting the player into short gameplay loops. You enter an area, most of the times preceded by or containing a bonfire, and it is up to you to navigate your way to the next bonfire. There are of course obstacles and enemies in your way and detours exist but you are always trying to make your way to the next bonfire. Boss battle highlight areas and may serve as a dead end to a route once you beat them which prompts you to head back to the nearest hub or bonfire.
Shortcuts exist to let you make better time in your travels. By quicksaving you minimize the need for good level designs that take into account the two above considerations.

This is the most ready use of save scumming, if you get into a pickle and can't win you just jump out of the fight back to your save. Souls games are not afraid to kill you for making a bad mistake, and the auto saves + bonfires ensure that if you die you have to go back to the beginning and pay attention next time.

Doubly for bosses which all have tells to their attacks. You must pay attention and play smartly and failure can result in you dying. But now you don't have to traverse back through the areas (de-emphasizing level design) and now you can just make all the encounters that may drain your resources on your boss approach, and now you can just retreat to a safe area in a boss arena and save when you have favorable conditions and just run the match et-nausia until you have won.

Since you already used a cheat engine you already admit that you don't want to play a game on the game's terms. So you may not have thought of this in your playthrough. So now let me suggest an actually good idea that will improve a souls game without breaking its back. Remember when I suggested looking at the Company of Champions? Now let's talk about a new covenant called the Order of Mercy. This convenant will be accessible at the first major hub as was the CoC.

Here are the properties of the CoC:

So you can see how this would make the game harder? Here's what I would stipulate in the order of Mercy

Now you can play a souls game and if you get stuck at a part you can pop on a ring and at the cost of one ring slot have an easier experience. And when you are done just take it off and the game returns to the normal difficulty.

This idea respects the game rules and developer's designs as well as encourages the player to keep learning the game on it's own basis.

So you are the reason games are casual shit now!

Hey, I code too. We all do everything to an extent.

Pretty much, yeah.
At this rate, everything Pre-Alicization could be called "just a prologue".

Oh, and it's called "Moon Cradle" now.

I would also like to point out that quicksaves wouldn't work in general since Dark Souls is an online game and you couldn't just stop what you were doing and reload your save in the middle of an invasion or a bro-op

hory shit sauce?

My Helios 44M has better image wide open than that shit stopped way down.
It cost me $15.

"wow thats a lot of cum" gets me rock hard, I want more!

I don't think that they'd use their likeness but I wouldn't doubt it. The mobile game definitely does but then again it's a mobile game, so it no doubt makes tons of money

Shut your fucking mouth and kill yourself. You don't get to bitch and moan about something like you're big shit with it when you're talking 2012.

Christ exactly how does game development attract such dumb mother fuckers what's more how do they try and act so smug while being so stupid. Like there are plenty of idiots who are well aware of the fact but this dude is completely oblivious to his own stupidity. And the retard has been trying to defend himself for literal days. And more importantly how did these losers end up here like god damn has Holla Forums's ironic shitposting finally brought the moronic hordes from elsewhere?

Actually, I'd suggest Direct Control of party members. That way, I can have Marcus fire AWAY from the melee instead of killing me every third encounter before I get my power armor.

After that first inquisitive playthrough I don't know why anyone bothers with party members. The combat is tedious enough on your own.

Go away Anthony Burch.

arent horses just majestic?

Being able to unlock the dog form

I dunno it just seems needlessly cruel already. I mean the game isn't really that hard but on a first play through for some faggot who's just trying to beat the Gargoyles or something it just seems cruel. I can't really find another reasoning somebody would bother doing that shit other than to try and fish for angry reactions or something.

personally i wanna shove it in her ass

It's not as good as fans insist it is, especially when it comes to the gameplay.