Kingdom Death: Monster

Holla Forums, it's /tg/ here. We need your help.

Short version: Someone needs to beat the Mario Maker level supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BCDD-0000-00FB-69FD within the next 24 hours or else Adam Poots is going to start cockblocking the Kingdom Death community by refusing to release updates on content for what is on track to be the biggest tabletop game kickstarter (and possibly biggest kickstarter ever, if things go really well). The two clears listed are from Poots and his brother; a third clear is needed in order to unlock progress in the campaign.

Long version: Kingdom Death: Monster is a tabletop game that is basically Monster Hunter (hunt monsters for body parts to make gear out of) mixed with X-Com (a large base building elements, focus on improving the settlement as a whole) set in the world of Berserk. The first release of this game was met with enormous acclaim and the thing sold completely out. At the moment the only unopened copies of the game in existence are a small handful owned by scalpers trying to sell them for thousands of dollars. I'm not even kidding.

There's also a mod for KD:M on Tabletop Simulator which is downright fucking amazing. I've been playing that all week long now and it is the first legitimate use of TTS that I've ever found. To find it, just search "Kingdom Death Nognoth" in the Steam Workshop. 2nd pic related. If someone actually gives a shit I'll see if I can find the links to the rulebooks for them so they can learn how to actually play the game.

Anyways, Adam Poots brought the game back to kickstarter to fund a second printing of the game along with new expansions and the thing utterly exploded. It's currently looking like it'll break $7 million in pledges today and there are still 32 days left in the campaign. One of the features of the campaign is the "Gambler's Chest" which is filled with various things which are being revealed one box a day by random rolls; 3rd pic. Today, he rolled a 1. Out of 100. This is a critical failure; the worst roll possible. As punishment, he locked all updates and reveals and future Gambler's Chest rolls until someone beats that Mario Maker level.

Also, just to pre-empt this shit, but,
For board games kickstarter actually makes sense. With a board game you are not funding the design and development of the game – that part is 90 to 95% done by the time the game hits kickstarter – instead you're funding the actual physical production and shipping of the game. Video game kickstarters frequently fail miserably because you're throwing money at an idea and not a thing, while board game kickstarters almost never fail (outside of a few issues where copyrights got stepped on) because the thing you're throwing money at is already designed and just needs to be produced.

Anyways, long story short, /tg/ needs your help, Holla Forums. Help a brother in need out, would you? You'll help unlock something awesome.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/posts/1757574
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BCDD-0000-00FB-69FD
twitch
kdmtts.tumblr.com/
mega.nz/#!GRlFDbRS!k3phVyUuiR53QYz90lXfATUPW1XBxfzbY0uOB1eLja0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Forgot to link this; here's the actual update wherein said cockblocking is occurring:

kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/posts/1757574

I'll post some pics of the game in the meantime.

>Someone needs to beat the Mario Maker level supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BCDD-0000-00FB-69FD within the next 24 hours or else Adam Poots is going to start cockblocking the Kingdom Death community by refusing to release updates on content for what is on track to be the biggest tabletop game kickstarter (and possibly biggest kickstarter ever, if things go really well).

You dont need our help and this project deserves to fail if they're going to shoot themselves in the foot like that. Try the other Holla Forums.

No, really, the dice demands that these people fail.

Here is just the core game. It's enormous. That box is the size of small child.

Poots is a madman, this is true. I don't believe that anyone has ever accused him of being a good businessman before.

Everyone and everying involved in this is fucking retarded.

little he knows that nobody bought a WiiU and the project is eternally doomed

That looks like a marketing stunt from that Adam Poots character, to be honest.

This is the most cucked thread Holla Forums has ever seen.

You should've just left it more vague OP, but you mentioned the K word and have doomed the thread.

dump rule book
Also that sounds hilarious.

Yeah that's definitely the worry.

I'm not Poots. I can't prove to you that I'm not and I know that, but I'm not. I'm just some guy who likes board games and is backing Kingdom Death.

I guess the best piece of evidence I can give is, if I were Poots then why would I be playing a TTS mod of my own game?

Possibly, but it's better to not lie to people.

I'll dig up the mega links, sure. Give me a moment.

Whats in it for me you faggot

Why not take your shit to /reddit/, fag?

mega:///#!ohBHRbQB!l7nXIg76kQcc26zCGceJD9dOoK5FfGEcDd4WYSvYrq0
Here you go.

Knowing you helped people out. Or the lulz. Or participating in an ARG. I don't fucking know, if you don't want to then don't. I ain't your mother.

Some minis from the game and expansions. Also a couple of the pinups and extras which don't yet have expansions. This shit is a miniature painter's dream.

How many shekels are you goyim spending ? You must kicksterfags must be in the thousands.

This character sheet looks like a fucking mess.

I'm talking about the guy doing the mario maker hold up, not you.

Oh. Yeah, it does feel like one. I'll give you that.

The physical one looks better. That one is mostly to make it not a pain in the ass to deal with in TTS. TTS wasn't really made with character sheets in mind, so the mod creator had to get creative to make it work.

What can I say, I likes me some plastic tiddies.

as usual, dumb people shell out money just to look at tits.

The tits aren't actually in the game. They're an accessory to it; the world of Kingdom Death existed before the game was made and made its money by selling nightmare horror monsters and big tittied pinups. When the game was made many of the monsters were put into it, but they intentionally left the pinups as optional purchases for those who want them.

That said, I'll be honest with you: my criteria for buying a board game like this is:

1. Would I play the game if it only included cardboard tokens?
and
2. Would I buy the game if it only included the miniatures?

The fact that I can't actually stop playing the TTS mod for this proves, at least to me, that the first criteria is met. It's just fun as shit, even playing it through a terrible interface in a memetastic "simulator" that has a retarded ass table flip button. And as someone who paints miniatures as a hobby, the answer to the second is a yes, too. I'm not super hurting for minis to paint, but goddamn the sculpts in Kingdom Death are amazing. Like look at this fucking Flower Knight sculpt. It's so gorgeous. This thing would be a joy to paint.

So, to me, I'm backing it.

Anyways, long unnecessary shit later, it turns out that the level was not as hard as was feared as two people have already cleared it. So, polite sage from me, and a thanks to anyone here who actually tried. If even one of you fuckers did.

/tg/ out.

lol

Nope.

Before this reprint kickstarter showed up, unlucky bastards that missed the first kickstarter had to shell out 400+ dollars for retail price on the few remaining base boxes, not even eBay extra jacked prices.

how does one play TTS? Is there a matchmaking service or do you need to join a steam group or something to play it? If one is new to tabletop, how forgiving is the TTS community?

The core game ships in Summer 2017 and has already entered production. The 2020 date is given for the complete delivery of everything in the campaign. The FAQ at the bottom has the shipping details.

And yeah, it's $250. MSRP is $400 and it still sold out almost immediately. And honestly, in terms of the plastic it's worth it. The phoenix mini alone would be ~$80 if produced by a wargame company. High quality hard plastic minis ain't cheap.

So, if you subscribe to the mod then fire the game up it will download and install it for you. Then, click single player (or multiplayer if you have friends or whatnot) and click the workshop button in the top left of the game selection screen. The mod should be listed there.

Personally I've been playing it solo, mostly, but one day I did get some friends in and we started a settlement. Worked out pretty well all things told.

wait you can play this game solo? I thought all tabletop only worked with friends?

There's quite a few tabletop games that can be played solo, it's kind of been a big thing lately as people started realizing the amount of money people are willing to spend on a game and the amount of friends they have are inversely proportional. Mage Knight and Super Dungeon Explore both have singleplayer modes too.

There's a lot of multiplayer tabletop games that can be played solo like the Lord of the Rings LCG and ones that are designed for solo like Hornet Leader.

There are also multiplayer games that have been adapted for solo play by lonely people with more cardboard than friends.

Kingdom Death: Monster is a cooperative game. Meaning if you do play it with friends you're playing against the game in a shared struggle; the monsters are controlled by AI cards that tell you how they move and act (and trust me, it's actually still very smart and cunning; fuck that level 2 white lion right in its fuzzy fucking groin). Being that it's a cooperative game you can play it solo just by taking control of all of the characters.

There's a lot to keep track of and nobody else to help you do it, but I've played heavier solo games personally so I'm well prepared for it.

I aint doing that shit you GAYNIGGER

It's amazing. I guess I can load SMM and help out, but how do we prove the level has been cleared?

Yeah, I forgot where I was. Must've gotten turned around somewhere.

The level got cleared already actually. If you check the page in the OP it'll show that it's got I think 5 new clears already. Turns out Poots isn't as good at the marios as he thought he was.

I wouldn't put it past someone that pulls such a stunt to have a secret developer-known path to easily beat the level in the first place.

twitch tv/enviosity/v/105726132

Looks like a pretty legit level, at least to me. But I don't do the Mario Maker stuffs. I was watching another stream when this guy beat it and the dirtiest part was how the level actually continues on after the first Bowser and looks like it's a real path.

How impressively cruel.

OP, you got me interested in this game because you said Monster Hunter and I have been starved for anything decent like it for a while. Now, I know you want people to help you, but how about you help me out and post some megalink or torrent to the TTS mod? Alternatively, can I even run that thing on a pirated copy of TTS?

Also thanks for the rulebook. That's what sealed the deal on this thing for me.

Also I found this but I don't even know what's the story on it of if it's the same as the steam one.

kdmtts.tumblr.com/

I know that there are several TTS mods for the game, but the one I've been playing is made by a guy named Nognoth and looks much better put together than the others. As for playing it on a pirated version, this I do not know. All I can find online for it is the Steam workshop page and a Gofundme where the mod creator is hilariously begging for people to crowdfund his pledge to the main KD:M campaign so that he can make the mod better… Kickstarterception right there.

Gimme a minute to look into TTS mods and maybe I can find some way to bundle it in some manner that a pirated copy can play it maybe? Can't be that hard, can it?

>Short version: Someone needs to beat the Mario Maker level supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BCDD-0000-00FB-69FD within the next 24 hours or else Adam Poots is going to start cockblocking the Kingdom Death community by refusing to release updates on content for what is on track to be the biggest tabletop game kickstarter (and possibly biggest kickstarter ever, if things go really well).
This can't really be /tg/
Since when did you start getting this cancer? Since when did you start falling for it?

Here, try this:
mega.nz/#!GRlFDbRS!k3phVyUuiR53QYz90lXfATUPW1XBxfzbY0uOB1eLja0

Extract to \Users\[name]\My Documents\My Games\ and see if it works.

What, Kickstarter? In board games KS doesn't have the shitty connotation that it does with vidya because board game kickstarters are about creating products and not ideas. Crowdfunding actually makes sense when someone has a game fully designed but can't produce it on their own dime because factories won't even look at you until you can place an order of over 5,000 copies. The money actually goes directly to the production of the physical product rather than into the wages of creative types who can't get shit done in time and inevitably end up in huge overruns and produce shitty work.

OP confirmed for not a faggot. Honestly the /tg/ community is full of bros.

I suck at mario, so I can't help you in your quest. However, I do have a greentext story about when I decided to try and pop my own tabletop RPG cherry at some card shop/table rental type of joint:

>spot a large room behind the counter full of people playing rpgs and having fun

So I left and never came back. Also, plastic figurines for tabletop games are FUCKING EXPENSIVE. Like, guys, seriously, what the actual fuck. Now I understand the warhammer 40k jewry.

No problem man, enjoy the game. Just don't get too attached to your survivors, because they will die. Often.

And yeah, hard plastic figures are extremely expensive. The main thing driving up their cost is the price of the mold – hard plastic figures are produced in CNC'd tool steel molds that cost tens of thousands of dollars to make. The molds last basically forever and the actual plastic material is pennies on the dollar but when you only produce a couple thousand copies out of a mold due to being a niche product then that mold cost weighs very heavily on the final product.

There are other materials, but they have issues as well; resin figures can be made in silicon molds which are cheap to make but the resin casting process rapidly destroys those molds so they only last for a dozen or so batches. Metal is also good, can be made with cheap silicon molds and doesn't destroy them like resin does, but the actual metal material costs quite a lot. And then there's PVC (soft) plastic, which can be made out of silicon molds and the material is cheap as shit but the quality is far worse. In the end you get what you pay for.

But yeah, tl;dr it is shit like pic related that makes games like KD:M and Warhammer cost what they do. But when you've got digital mods that capture 80% of the magic, then why not enjoy them?

Haven't there been any attempts at some type of normalized characters? Like some set of "every rpg is probably gonna need these so let's make some bundle that's compatible with several RPG flavours" (wizard, rogue, warrior, skeletons, dragons, etc.) to sort of drive down the cost of such a niche mold?

Alternatively, how common is it to play with dollar store dinosaurs and cowboys and shit?

Sorry, /tg/, but your game is absolutely doomed. As someone who owns a Wii U and SMM, I have no interest of going back to SMM when there's various reasons stopping me:

One: I have a backlog of games I actually want to play and SMM isn't one of them. When every good level is missing and you have to sift through a hundred thousand shit levels, it really makes you want to play something else

Two: I've got a decent job that pays well

Three: I'd rather focus on playing good SMM levels instead of garbage LOL IT'S SO HARD XDDDDDDDDDD levels

Four: The Wii U is fucking dying. BOTW will be its fucking swan song. This is coming from a fucking longtime Nintendo fan, but as SOON as the necessary Switch info comes out, the Wii U will be traded in for hopefully a way better system.

Well, there are some lines of minis that are intentionally generic to hit a wider audience like that, yeah. Reaper runs one and does pretty well for it. But there isn't a lot of cross-company sharing of toys, though. The only instance of that which I am personally aware of is this one little ship mold that is used for both Eclipse, Eminent Domain, and one other game that I can't remember.

People do use proxy miniatures in some games, of course. It depends on the community; some communities frown on it while others have no problem with it. Usually it's either figures from other games the player already owns or printed standees, though, not army men or dollar store dinosaurs.

Way to read the thread faggot:

Anyway OP, glad your task is complete. I'd LOVE to support and play this game too, but it's too pricey for me and nobody in my city is both not autistic and interested in playing complex games of any kind.

I would have aided you in your quest but I own neither Mario maker or a WiiU.
But thanks for reminding me that I should visit /tg/ sometime.

So, when is the game going to sell internationally? to buy it from actual stores.

That's… honestly a good question. I don't know if Poots has even considered entering into distribution. I'm not certain if distributors would even take the game. The MSRP is just so huge, why would they?

I don't have answers to this. I know the core game is being shipped from the KS next summer, and if you can stomach that ROW shipping option then it's probably the best deal you'll ever see on it. But it may never show up in stores anywhere, let alone internationally.

For fuck's sake… I just don't trust the internet.

I mean, if it matters to you, he did deliver on everything from the first campaign except for the Lantern Festival expansion which he ended up cancelling because the gameplay wasn't living up to his standards and he didn't want to release something mediocre just to say he did. So, for that he refunded everyone the money they had paid for the cancelled expansion.

So he has proven that he can deliver. It might end up being fall 2017 if things get delayed due to the larger than expected quantity of boxes they need to print, but you'll get your shit if you pay for it. And you've got until Jan 7th to sleep on it, too; KS does not take your money until the campaign funds.

Do consider import taxes / VAT / what-have-you if you do back, though. Poots is taking the stance that each individual backer has to cover those by themselves because he can't find any equitable way of dealing with the problem. Brazil in particular I know has really devastating import taxes that catch people up a lot.

It's not. It's too overproduced to sell it in that way, and it's definitely not for most of the market.

How much the game costs anyway?

$200 during the kickstarter with no expansions.
$400 MSRP

The core game is $250 on the KS. It's $400 MSRP.

Plastic ain't cheap. And the game box is so big you could bury a small child in it.

It's the cheapest part of the entire thing.

HOLY FUCK!

I should have bought a kickstarted when I had the chance.

I hear you, man. I hear you.

It's a big game.

It's been done.

It comes with a free little girl, too?

The updated core box now does, yes.

For you.

If I crit you in the hand, will you die?

That's nice and all that, but I want a big hunky player model too.

Sorry OP, I'd do it but I don't have Mario Maker.

It's cool, don't feel bad. It's been cleared by several people by now. I'm just surprised that the thread isn't dying.

/tg/ here. We were talking a bit about this.

It's a neat game, but the damned thing is a hobby unto itself. The big thing holding it back, however, is that it's damned near impossible to get and its expensive as fuck. Even the base game, minus the many, many expansions, add-ons, and other shit, is 400 dollarydoos… and even with that, you've got dozens of models to assemble, clean, paint, and then store somewhere, somehow.

It's the sort of game that, should you invest in it, would require it's own dedicated table in your home, and probably a reinforced industrial grade storage shelf as well.

I've been tempted to buy tabletop simulator just to have a way to play it without needing to dedicate my life to the cause of someday playing KDM.

As someone who went balls deep on the original kickstarter, this is accurate. I mostly play with unpainted miniatures and the starting survivors, just because I'm terrible and lazy when it comes to miniatures. It's been well over a year and I've barely got anything painted. Hell, I've barely got all the miniature bits ORGANIZED.

Holding out hope that the whole thing eventually gets an automated PC version or something that I can play online with friends, or solo with NPC allies.

Also, have a chick covered in tongues and dicks, because the lead artist is an absolute madman.

Why not just… play it solo? It's a cooperative game.

I am interested now. Is there a place where I can read the lore of the game?

Because I have no intent of spending several thousands dollarydoos on a game of this size and complexity… also I've got not fucking space in my house and I need to save that money for important things. Like buying a parcel of land to start my own city of NEETs and fa/tg/uys.

I hope you came to ask here yourself and not something all that of /tg/ decided would be a good idea.

boring garbo. Not VIDEOgames. shill elsewhere

No such decision was made by /tg/
OP is a rogue agent.

So play it on TTS, if you have it. Or pirate if you don't. I put the files for the mod further up in the thread along with the rulebook.

I'm not sure if there is a lore repository site for the game. It's mostly minimalistic, show-but-don't-tell sort of stuff. The lore is mostly designed to be discovered through gameplay rather than read in a book.

Yeah, I forgot where I was. Oh well, this thread turned out to be quite fun anyways.

Thanks m80

Why Bother

She has a twin, too.
And they're futas. Lovers, at that. It is a being so narcissistic that it literally split into two so that it could fuck itself.

This form of Satan is just a pinup, but Poots has actually confirmed that the campaign will include a proper Satan expansion featuring a more monstrous form of Satan.

Satan is living the dream.

Please don't ever give anyone here a reason to visit /tg/, user. Use your noggin a little more.

/tg/ is great.
Everyone should visit /tg/.

I'll make a Blood Bowl thread

Sweden said the same thing about itself years back

Did they make both males Non-White in the webm on purpose

Are you implying that you're going to culturally enrich /tg/ with you islamic cock, user?

With a white girl in the middle, no less. That's how it actually appears in the episode, though.

Has anyone done it yet? If not I'll give it a shot. I bought a WiiU so I clearly have no life.

It has been completed, yeah. Turns out Poots wasn't as good at the marios as he thought he was. Thanks for offering, though.

Already done.

Not that there's any affordable backer levels left on the damned kikestarter project anyways.