What are some pre-2006 games that have aged well graphically? 3D games only

what are some pre-2006 games that have aged well graphically? 3D games only

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aqzyvWjLzRg
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterDetail.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Metroid Prime is the only one I can think of.

I myself replayed HL2 some weeks ago and do think it holds up well.

Well it did get updated years after. Source engine does hold up pretty will with the water and lighting effects.

Thanks to the artstyle and graphical effects.

That reminnds me, wasn't there something about a Source 2 ? What became of that ?

No idea man

HL2 has been updated god knows how many times over the years. It doesn't really look like it did on release.

Picrelated looks surprisingly good for a game from 2003.

I believe Dota 2 uses Source 2 nowadays, for all the difference it makes.

It is in DOTA 2 right now and nothing else

The textures in HL2 aren't terrible, but the geometry is awful

I suppose one of enclave's major selling points was how pretty it looked. Shame they didn't put more thought into the fucking gameplay but it's a good enough game.

One of my ASSFAGGOTS friends plays DOTA 2 and said it was a huge performance gain when they switched it over.

You're right in 95% of cases, but the rare 3D game with a strong aesthetic and art style can age well.

Vagrant Story, Spyro1/2, Crash 2/3, MGS.

Doom

Fair enough though I can't imagine anyone having performance issues with a Source (1) game in this day and age.

Such cancerous style, to be infecting vidya then and even today.

He's one of these people that thinks 300fps offers a huge advantage over 200fps.

At least this animation has aged well

Oh come on user.

No, there's nothing worth appreciating about mgs.

Graphically yes. Narrative and gameplay? Nope.
HL2 was the most overhyped PoS of all times.
Doom 3 was the way better FPS of that year.

maybe he played it last emulated. The game looks awful on a real playstation

I agree. I love WC3, but the pseudo-cartoon/part-realistic style with the hugely out of proportioned buildings and units just looks ugly as all hell, even back when it was new.

Yeah, try setting a widescreen resolution without hacks in a 2004 game.

Doom 3
Mafia
Max Payne (I think the first game look more crisp than the second)
Resident Evil 4
The Suffering (severely underrated gameplay and graphics)
Condemned

That might technically be true for some of the games that tie physics to framerate though perhaps not to the level of 300 v 200. I know GTA IV let you drive noticeably faster than other players if you had a higher framerate.

Some devs though ahead far enough that it isn't an issue but yes, most 2004 games don't like widescreen.

I think it looks fantastic on original hardware, and even better emulated at a reasonable 2x IR. It has solid texture work, great modeling, and the overall aesthetic all meshes together well and it's neither too busy visually nor too spartan.

The gameplay hasn't aged particularly well, but the soundscape and visuals certainly have.

Mafia 1 is seriously no joke. Look at that facial animation, this is a 2002 game.

FarCry

Dammit. Why did I never play this game. I remember eyeing it in the game store on several occasions, but always grabbing something else instead.

Speaking of facials- Bloodlines.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about Silent Hill 2 and REmake, RE:0, RE:4.

tf2

You must beat least 18 years old to ppst here.

would you prefer Cthulhu's non-euclidean Geometry?

The model and texture look horrendous compared to Mafia though.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory looks good enough.

it's so broken it's hard to play, besides it has shit parts, like mandatory driving job in the beginning

Looks gorgeous, I love the lighting, but compared to Doom 3 it's nothing special.

It was the best you pleb. Sure it's boring at replay, but it was the first time you see a vast 3D recreation of 1920's NYC.

I don't mind that. Most games of that type start you off with a chauffeur mission to teach you the basics of driving. My favorite thing about games like this is learning my way around the city.

It wasn't pseudo-realistic. It was 100% cartoony. Don't you remember Warcraft 2? Cartoony bright colors and character as big as the buildings. I didn't know Blizzard was going to go ahead and keep using that style in every game they ever made after. I also didn't know that every hack studio that tries to ride Blizzard's coattails was going to rip it off. But back then it was the perfect translation of Warcraft 2's style into a 3D engine. And, even if you don't care for the style, the graphics still hold up today. It still looks good for a 2003 game, doughy characters aside.

Wow vanilla still looks amazing to this day

super mario sunshine

.kkrieger

JP Operation Genesis looks really gorgeous even today. It's not due to the low resolution texture and low polygon of course, but there's something about the image composition and atmosphere that makes it extremely heartwarming to look at. Like the film, it really captures the mise en scene of a high technology compound built in a tropical island setting. We'll never get such art style anymore.

These all look very good. F.E.A.R. in particular looks better than a lot of games released in the past few years.

I disagree. The lighting system is fantastic and the gameplay is still rock solid, but the overall aesthetic is just awful due to the shit-tier level variety.

Seconding this. I have a friend who thought it was an Xbox 360 game for years, because it looked so much better than other games of its time.

I miss the times when photorealism wasn't achieved so the devs had to be clever when it came to the visuals. I can't think of "good looking" games pre-2006 but only "well designed" games actually

My nigger

Tekken 2 and 3 still look great. Not just the cinematics - the ingame models are still fantastic to this day. Most PS1 games aged well, like Spyro and Crash.

A lot of gamecube games.

Nintendo has stopped trying.

That's sort of cheating, but I do agree that it hasn't really aged at all except for the resolution of the backgrounds.

Didn't the backgrounds have a higher resolution in the HD re-release?

Maken X on Dreamcast and Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne look pretty good.

Wrong

Dungeon Siege, due to multiple factors, including lots of foliage and nice particle effects. Of course, like most early 3D games, it only holds up because of the ability to set it to modern resolution (which thankfully doesn't require any 3rd party hacks to do).

I'm not sure. I watched a speedrun of it (vid related) and some of the backgrounds look high res, and some are shockingly low res, particularly a few of the underground areas.

I just realized something really depressing.
Parasite Eve 1&2 will never get the REmake treatment

Sims 2

I still haven't gotten around to playing them outside of the one time I rented PE2 along with MediEvil from Blockbuster back in the day and must have only put ~10 minutes into PE before spending the rest of my time with MediEvil.

Are they still worth playing today?

I wish Blizz continued with Diablo 1&2 and Starcraft style.

As somebody who just beat Parasite Eve for the first time early this morning, they are worth playing. The battle system is fucking great. It reminds me a lot of the Devil Summoner games on the PS2. And the music is fucking fantastic.

Spyro games and Crash Bash come to mind. I think the original Super Smash Bros also deserves a fair mention just for its charming toy aesthetic and timeless stages.

This shit until the end of time and space and beyond.

Definitely GX and Pikmin.

Freedom fighters
Quake III
UT 2004
Halo CE

its easier and much safer to make "wacky cartoony graphics xDD" than to approach your design with something more realistic in mind

Paper Mario is one that comes to mind, both of them.
Because of the art style its pretty much immune to aging.

What did HL2 look like at release? Like the low settings in a Source engine game?

Gothic 1 and 2 hold up well especially with it's open world. The DX11 mod and some texture mods can make it look even better.

Thief 1 and 2's visuals also hold up. They are not as detsaled as shenmue's or gothics, the the art style looks good.

I think the low res, but detailed textures along with a good art style and environmental design help make these games stand out well compared to modern games.

It always got treated as a GTA clone by the press rather than it's own game. It's far from a GTA clone.

It's not broken, It functions well as a tps game. Only the race is really difficult and you need to learn to brake around corners.

It also does well in setting up Tommy's transition to the mafia and keeps the audience invested unlike vito in mafia 2.

Not completly. SM3DW Pikmin 3, Kirby's rainbow, Yoshi's wolly world, Smash Bros's U, etc. Problem is they don''t advertise they attractive games well.

SM3DW is fucking gorgeous and Rainbow Curse nailed a top quality clay aesthetic.

Why is the former so fucking boring to the point I literally yawn while playing it? It has so much unique level design to keep things fresh.

Black and White 2 holds up surprisingly well. Great art style and lighting. Levels had an amazing sense of scale. And it always ran smooth as butter for me. Unfortunately the game was rushed but still was full of charm.

Black and White 3 never ever :(

I wonder why. Shenmue is more of an action-adventure compared to a game like GTA. Even then Shenmue has more attention to detail and its world compared to games today like Yakuza and GTA.

That's fair enough. Much as I love F.E.A.R. I do wish it had more enviornments than office blocks and the occasional business building's hallway.

3D World never gripped my attention as much as any of the other 3D Mario games because everything is so polished and finely-tuned to the extent that it feels incredibly 'artificial.' I don't know how else to describe it, but it almost feels like it was made by a bunch of businessmen than by developers. The movement being so limited didn't help, either.

Fantastic level design that's so well thought out means that it should be a lot more fun than it is, but something just feels so off about it.

I want to contribute to the thread but
You need to fuck off back to reddit.

Maybe its because it feels safe with a stale formula?

Probably, yeah. I hope the next 3D Mario's better, but I'm not at all interested in the Switch.

A lot of 3D games hold up well, we're just used to all modern 3D games using Ugly Engine 3 which look dated the moment they are released.

Save for a couple of post processing shit, it's exactly the same. The whole Source got updated meme is just that.

I don't know how DK64 looks, but I automatically disqualify all 1st 3D gen console games.

1nsane aged insanely well
But it's old codemasters so it's a given

It was one of the later games on that console. It played well and still plays well.

How old are you?

Flat textures do not look good and never did.

user is right though, underage friends

GTA3 and VC on Xbox

Wrong.

I can't argue against such a level of bad taste.

on PC too once you install some mods for proper scaling
Anything with the slightest touch of cartoony look scales great

That's a joke right? SM64 looked like ass when it came out and it looks even worse today.

Gamecube games because most relied on having colored Polygons (whatever that's called) in a lot of places and used only good resolution textures. The Wii on the otherhand looked like shit since it used muddy, low res textures even on hug polys and it looked shitty on it's low-res output compated to GC.

Physics were so arcadey on GC games…

but Super 64 Mario looked like shit even back in 1996.

That doesn't even count tho

To be fair it looks nearly like that except of course it's a non-CRT so no aliasing.

its just the first video I found. The game still looks good in it's native resolution. Metal Gear Solid also looks good in current year too.

Thief's use of shadows is still blows a lot of games out of the water. They all make sense where they are cast and it all feels natural. If you expect a shadow or dark area to be somewhere it us most likely is there too. The art style is great too.

That game was fucking beautiful. Ico looks ok, but the age is really starting to show.

I agree. The atmosphere and tone were more consistent in the first game. 2 felt a tad more drab in presentation.

Don't forget Deus Ex and all those beautiful wall and floor textures.

I wish modern games had something similar. I was blown away when first playing it and the higher textures popped in when close to them. Especially the VersaLife hand corridor was orgasmic and still is.

Doom 3 looks better than 99% of modern games because the developers (more specifically Carmack and the rest of the engine work) and the art team worked really close together for maximum results.

That's fair. Sqeenix games on the PS1 are almost all unbelievable visually. Chrono Cross for example.

Here's Jumping flash at 8x resolution with bilinear filtering, texture perspective correction and enhanced polygon precision to fix poly and texture wobble. All rendered in Vulkan even though software and opengl do it just as well.

That's fair. Sqeenix games on the PS1 are almost all unbelievable visually. Chrono Cross for example.

Here's Jumping flash at 8x resolution with bilinear filtering, texture perspective correction and enhanced polygon precision to fix poly and texture wobble, All rendered in Vulkan even though software and opengl do it just as well.

(checked)
That was one of the first PS1 games right? When I got the PS1 I could choose one game with it, my choice came down to Jumpin Flash and Rapid Reload. I'm pretty glad I took Rapid Reload.

Trips of truth.

Yeah, Jumping Flash is alright, one of the first 3D PS1 games, but now it's only really redeeming factor is the cool 90s 3d aesthetic.

When compared to NSMBU, it's level designs and visuals are much better. I do get that feeling artificial feeling at times. The time limit does hamper exploration and the limited jumping and movement abilities does limit any crazy moves that you could do in other games.

There aren't any quirks or risks or standout moments.
The designers get distracted by all that visual information from the graphics that they don't notice how rudimentary and primitive their levels are, basically made out of simple blocks in a level editor instead of being handcrafted.
Instead of building something fun with the technology they have, they look more at their technology (software) than building the game.

Good animation can't really age.

on a proper display, 5th gen 3D games still look good. Gen 6 is where a lot of visual issues were cleaned up, however.

I'm replaying XIII and it holds up pretty well thanks to the usage of cel shading

You had to be clairvoyant to know ahead, that the entire PC display industry is suddenly going to switch to 16:9 in 2008. PC CRTs were almost all in 4:3 and most LCDs used an 5:4 aspect ratio.
So as game developer you had to invent some fringe case like using analog component TV out to drive a widescreen 1080i TV to display your PC game and then good luck with getting your superior to agree on allocating budget for this niche feature creep.

SCII was multiplatform though and better on the Xbox

Einhänder just tickles that certain arcade fancy of providing you with games which consoles normally couldn't deliver

Both of the GCN Metroid Prime games still look incredible. There's a hallway in the Chozo ruins after you clear the poison that has the sun coming in from above, and water pouring out of a crack in the wall, running down the crumble bricks and accumulating into a pool on the ground. For some reason that little bit stood out to me when I played it in 2014, which is odd because I'd played it at least 5 times before then.

Is that second pic on a studio monitor? I've been to some Melee tournaments where one of the setups was on an old studio monitor and that shit makes Gen 6 games look fucking gorgeous. I really feel like 3D console games both hit their stride and peaked during that era and fell of significantly after '07.

Playing in cropped 16x9, fuck sake are most gamers plebs or what.

No, think before you post.

Yes

HL2
SHOGO
DOOS EGGS
SS2
Quake
Hexen II

Read the Op you nog.

The camera has not aged gracefully. Game wasn't good in 1996, game isn't good now. The camera makes it worthless and another speedrunner fagfest. I take it you're a nintendrone?

It's a thread about graphics not gameplay you moron. The camera has nothing to do with this thread.

It still plays fine, nerd.

yes, it's my bvm-d14h5u. Waiting on a 20" ikegami now. Looks better than emulation at 4k.

Actually no. You can see the demo of HL2 and it's the same thing.
You must be talking about the update that brings more light, but it doesn't changes too much thing.

It's still a bad game.

Your opinion isn't really worth much but ok

All N64 games look like shit.

Yeah but it's still a bad game.

k

no u

Bullshit. While Half Life 2 has been updated, it barely looks different to how it did on release.

You must be right because despite never owning a Gamecube, I'm always impressed how good many games look on there. Star Wars Rogue Squadron especially.
As for actual games

Jet Set Radio and the best of all, Windwaker. Windwaker didn't age at all, I can't believe people were actually dumb enough to buy a "remaster" for a game that has aged better than any other 3d game in the world.

This game and the sequel still look fantastic.

Those things are expensive as fuck you lucky bastard.

HL2 has gotten massive graphics makeover and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fucking retard. The lightning engine has been changed, it went from static lightning to dynamic lightning with many different lightsources and hdr. Most of the models have been massively upgraded, look at the old vortigaunt model for example. Some textures have been updated. All the retards in this thread who says the game looks like it did on release are retarded fucking homosexual gaben-sucking faggots with no taste in games and they should just leave this website and go back to leddit where they can masturbate about their shitty "nerd-culture" shit turd videogames

fuck all of yall niggers

youtube.com/watch?v=aqzyvWjLzRg

That's comparing a mod retard, one that barely changes anything.

That a mod you fucking retard

here is what the shitty overrated pos game looked like on release

tell me those hoverboard scenes, or city scenes, have hold up or even look remotely similair now

You fucking mong. That's a mod.

yeah but mario 64 is still a bad game

those hoverboard scenes, or city scenes, have hold up or even look remotely similair now. Whatever that's supposed to mean

essentailly what the game looked like on release

unbearable faggot

Also this 9 minutes in

fuck you, time to redownload

that shit is transcendental

they literally just added HDR, dynamic lights have been a thing from the get go, go watch the demo where they show multiple instances of it's use.

Well yeah if you ignore the fact that the main character looks like his in the middle of a dump

I think time splitters 2 and 3 aged pretty well, with its caricature artstyle. The enviornemts aren't too amazing, but the character models hold up incredibly well.

No, you just played on an HP old 4:3 LCD screen, intel Integrated Graphics Version 0.6 Laptop your dad used for work, and ran the game on low settings.

Not so much 2, your characters don't even have hands in first-person view.

I bet 150fps he has a 60Hz monitor.

Exquisite taste.

Why does JSR look so much better? Limiting themselves in size like that made it easier to learn levels, second picture looks like "fuck, I have to jump all that shit?".

Now, name me the dates of release for half life 2 and versions of directx represented on the picture.

TS2 on xbox is fucking amazing. Silky smooth 60fps

Nigger, are you fucking retarded? It has literally nothing to do with DirectX.

What the fuck does that have to do with a game aging well graphically?

Huh? It's purely a graphical issue. Having the gun just dip down when you reload as opposed to having a reloading animation.

Yeah, and it looks fine for 2002. It's not like many other games at the time had a dedicated unique reloading animation for every single gun in the game.

For a 2002 game No One Lives Forever 2 still looks surprisingly good.
The first game however… well mostly the character models are bit… blocky.

How about cel-shading? Cel-shading doesn't age

Looks like shit though.

You're shit

How does it feel to be objectively wrong?

You do realize HL2 got several graphical bumps since its initial release right?

sure

Remastered really wasn't needed.

Are you mentally retarded? It got several graphical updates, there's a "beta" version of all of the Source games that have all of the final improvements of the Source engine. HL1 has HDR, reflection mapping, etc, etc. Half-Life Source also has all of the graphical improvements of the Source engine. The only thing wrong with HLS is that it uses the models and textures of HL1, but people have released their own mods for that too. Black Mesa has been 12 years in the making, but they could just as easily have just remade Half-Life: Source's resources. Instead they wasted a bunch of time on shit that doesn't matter, like spending a year making the cockroaches act like real cockroaches… Just fucking why?

Meant HL2, but either way.

Nobody said Dawn of War?

I own two, also getting an HD one soon.

Geez, you actually spent that kind of money for tiny as fuck CRTs?

this image gave me a clown fetish, hnnnnggg

I had a sony trinitron back in the day. now a phillips 144hz.

they don't cost me very much.

go away you clownsluts

Found the Coulrophobiac.

this isn't the thread for this, that's the ss13 thread

give me the nudes

get out of here stalker

If there's nudes, I ain't got them.

MGS2 and 3

Mind sharing deets on your supply?

MGS3 has aged poorly compared to MGS2, due to all the outdoor textures. The grass, sand, rocks, cliffs, trees all look bad, while MGS2, limited to indoor areas (non-jungle) areas, it is absolutely chock full of small details. It's still a lackluster game, but the amount of technology and details in the world bump it up a notch.

To be fair OP said nothing about framerate

100℅ wrong you fucking uneducated retard

Kys

The source engine didn't have dynamic lightning until 2007. No game properly used it before left4dead which was released in 2008. The pc version of hl2 didn't get the dynamic lightning patch until years later.

You are a retarded underaged child who played hl2 for the first time 3 years ago, and you swoon over it just to "fit in with my nerd friends online :^)"

Fuck off faggot. I already showed what it actually looked like

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterDetail.html
Games do that all the time nowadays, actually.

government surplus auctions

God, you guys are gay.

painkiller was one of the first shooters to ditch the BSP map faggotry so designers would just make the maps in normal 3d suite

Fyi DirectX 9 already existed when hl2 was released

a major loss for first person games

because its boring and the enemies are trash mobs. even serious sam is better and serious sam is awful

Th-this is how people become furfags, eh?

Try setting a widescreen resolution without hacks in a current_year game. Fuck Bethesda

Nope. Only you user.

turn back while you still can

fucking faggot

no it's just in your dna waiting to be awoken, canadacuck