I just finished hyper light drifter. Most beautiful fucking thing I've ever seen. So many feels...

I just finished hyper light drifter. Most beautiful fucking thing I've ever seen. So many feels. Anyone have good interpretations of where the final boss originated? It seemed to be some sort of hallucinated alter-ego on the part of the Drifter.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/257850/discussions/0/365163686056524484/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a good game but no one here will admit it because someone in the dev team had some nebulous connection to some SJW that didn't impact anything in the game but its still plenty to condemn the entire game for it

Shill thread?

I think The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition is the most breathtaking videogame experience of the decade, I could lose days upon days playing it.

Sure thing

You have low standards

definitely haven't played HLD then

Stop pushing it, I don't care about agendas I just don't wanna play it.

Please tell that that's a real ad.

Look up armando testa, it's real

WORDS THAT KILL

We've had tons of discussions on this game, and I think the common consensus was that the visuals could get jarring, the gameplay was serviceable but shallow, and ultimately it had too little content

This has got to be bait.

words likeā€¦
SCUD LAUNCHER

It's a moderately shit game made by amateur devs that started with good ideas but didn't know how to make them work well

I bought this game on sale because I love Disasterpeace and just wanted to listen to his stuff and if the game was fun it'd be a bonus. I'm only an hour into it, it's okay. I like the color palette. The no-dialogue aspect adds something interesting to the game's feel. Nothing has blown me away about it yet though.

OH SHIT WEAPONIZED WORDS!? WIZARDS ARE REAL GARLIC GUN KAMEHAMEHA NOW

Reminder it was locked at 30fps for months after release because they brilliantly tied game speed to frame rate.

Quick tip, don't buy the dash upgrades
They have absolutely zero use in actual gameplay, strange for what's supposed to be the namesake ability of the game
The maximum you'll get out of it is a fun ten minute training montage while you learn how to use it on the test track, and then several hours of disappointment as you never do it again

release drifter is fucking trash
the controls are still super trash AIMING AFFECTS DASHING and on release it was 30fps GARBAGE and the game is only challenigng during the bird boss and that's fucking it.

but everytime you want to have fun you have to get interrupted by your character bleeding his guts out and you sit there wondering "I could be playing a better game"

Lay it on me, Holla Forums
What makes this game bad, and is it worth a pirate?

Well, as long as you don't go full retard and waste more money on the infinite dash you'll probably be okay

And here I thought only the japenese did stupid shit like tying things to framerate.

Japanese devs target 60 fps more.

user, gameplay being tied to fps is something that's happened since the dawn of vidya, accidentally or not
How do you think the aliens in space invaders went faster the more of them you killed?

This isn't remotely the same situation and you know it.

So you're saying this isn't a case of devs being retarded like it's always been?

There is a good, functional reason for the aliens in Space Invaders to move faster the more of them you killed and it was an intentional part of the game, nip games and Hyper Light Drifter tie gameplay speed to engine speed because of plain incompetence.

Well they did fix both FPS and control scheme.
AND added invul frames to dash move.
I guess it's more conventional action game now. Still amount of contents and art style remain the same.

No it wasn't
It happened because the tech was so bad that having more ayys on the screen made the game chug like fuck and decreasing their numbers made the fps get closer to what it was coded to be

idk but I would

Yes, it was. They were aware of the speed increase and intentionally kept it in the game as a game mechanic, you can go ahead and look it up. If you're trying to apply this to HLD they intentionally locked the framerate at 30fps to make it more cinematic.

Doesn't sound much worse than this, and I liked Reverie. Will wait for a sale or something

So would I but as a human not some odd creature. Don't they turn into monsters though?

Im not comparing the games, im comparing the qualities spoken; it didn't have much content, it played alright but there wasn't much to do mechanically. I know they play completely different. Pls do not teleport behind me and break my legs.

I thought they had it at 30fps because game maker is a pile of shit.

radio the universe is still more interesting and looks far better

*Teleports inside you*

awful music that you will want to turn off after 10 minutes, garbage controls with built in delay (even at 60fps), and a bad camera. Yes, this dev managed to fuck up 2D Zelda camera that doesn't stay on your main during boss fights.
no. maybe jewtube it, if you think you could give a shit

Don't bother, its Japanese so that means that its automatically better in his eyes.

Its made by a fucking BR you retard

BOY HOWDY ARE YOU FUCKING WRONG. I mean if you consider good shit like fucking eye cancerous special effects and shitty pixel art mixed in with motion blur and a horrible camera system that is literally unplayable without a controller despite being on the PC, then yea, you're right. But if you're not a professional retard in your sparetime, go play Furi.

But it's even worse than HLD.

Fuck out of here you nigga.

Nice taste ya got

You take that back right now

>fucking eye cancerous special effects and shitty pixel art low poly garbage mixed in with motion blur and a horrible camera system that is literally unplayable without a controller despite being on the PC

Last two are wrong though

Nigga do you even know what low poly looks like

GET OUT

PS1 games are low poly, and fury looks worse than that.

But camera and control schemes are nearly identical?
There are some mighty double standards going here.

Whether or not you think the game looks bad doesn't change its polycount

Just because it has a lot of polygons doesn't mean it's not low poly garbage. Stop defending agenda driven SJW shit

Are furi's devs SJWs too? Got some source on that?

yeah the art director made a movie about niggers

They gave Sarkesian special thanks and shit in the credits but other than that, they kept their head slow. That user is full retard.

I know drifter's devs did that, are you sure you're not mixing the two?
I mean games ARE similar, but we should get this straight.

Holla Forums is so bad I'm not even sure you're joking

Nea they did m8, check the credits again.

I remember them thanking Kojima, Kamiya and Mikami but that's it

take the heh pill, OP

Huh? Can there be a connection between using horrendous color palettes, shit art style and obligation to thank SJWs?

Not to mention horrible gameplay and muh story

It's simply indie devs trying to get in good with the press, shouldn't be that surprising considering they are still alive and well.

Nigga you don't even know the difference between the two games do ya'

The only major difference between the two is that Furi doesn't have trash mobs.

They're both shit. I can tell you're chomping at the bit to shill Furi some more so go ahead.

Tip Top Kek, whatever helps ya' sleep at night m8's

webm or fuck off

Furi is shit. Deal with it, fucking kike

Well fuck, I want one of those vocalizer weapons then.
NiiiiiiiiiihGGER!

I just watched the credit scroll again and they don't, you're confusing it with HLD or you're straight making it up

Holla Forums was right. that is their weakness

Didn't it turn out that it was just a blatant rip-off of another game

That's what bosses are user
Big strong enemies with gimmicks

There isn't, it dodges when you release the button and that's so you can charge it to go further.
There isn't, parries are instant on press.
Bosses react differently to gun and sword attacks, there are openings where you can hit them with a sword but not with the gun and vice versa.

There is. There are a few frames at the start of dodges and parries where they aren't active yet. That's startup and it's fucking cancer
Who cares? Unless you're in super gimmick mode with the line, the gun is always the better option because it does more damage. The only time the sword is the better option is when you're forced to use it

Great way to start the thread. Talking like this is normal on the fullchans. Welcome to your new favorite website, it's even better than reddit here. Enjoy your stay.

Play fucking DMC3 sometime.

Furi has duels too
Duels get old just like any other thing, and in a game entirely about bosses you need to mix things up so they feel fresh

Game Maker easily handles 144fps if you want it.

I HUE have HUE some HUE disturbing HUE new HUE for HUE you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the dash power-ups useful for collecting secrets? I can think of two spots in the water zone where there's shit like jumping between flame traps and crossing long paths of disappearing platforms, and I just can't imagine getting past any other way.

The first upgrade can be useful for that, but anything more is overkill
And the secrets are awful anyway

Do you get anything at all for collecting all the triangles and keys and shit? Are there multiple endings, or is there just one ending and it's retardedly ambiguous?

There's one ending, everything you get is just to unlock costumes that slightly change something, the biggest of which you just get for beating the game anyway

This actually looks pretty fun.

only 30 fps

They fixed all technical problems though, game runs at 60 and there are alternative control method allowing you to NOT DASH TOWARD CROSSHAIR.
Still, it took them what? 6 months? To just fix their game into what it should have been from day 1.

Let me guess, are you a follower of Kek? Figures.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/facebook/

>>>/suicide/

the problem with furry is that the bosses are scripted. not scripted like a QTE but there is literally no creativity in the way you take it down. they often force you to close range duel, force to attack with gun, etc. the boss is often invincible to the "wrong" type of attack when open.
while playing it i cant help but feel the dev standing there and saying "ok now only dodge" "use only your sword" "ok, now only shoot" "ok now only dodge" if you deviate you either miss an opportunity to attack, or are punished.
i want to fight the boss how i see fit, not how they tell me to. most bosses require some level of "ok now hit him with this because its his weakness" but i've never played a game that used that concept for every step of the fight.

To answer OP's question about the story, and make it so you don't even have to waste time on the game to find out about it if you somehow were interested, here's a summary:
The raccooons were just waking up and just attacked you because you're a blue-person, the birds were taken over by a cult and were insignificant, the frogs were le evil overlords eating mice but insignificant, and the south is the place where the titans were made.

The visuals are painful to look at, the music is far from Disasterpiece's best, the gameplay lacks depth and there's too little of it, it's made by koolaid drinkers, and most of the secrets are "hug walls till you find shit or figure out paper on the floor = secrets". It's shit.

>"We should definitely fund people who go out of their way to try and destroy things we like and our hobby as a whole cause we need to separate the art from the artists, fellow anonymous imageboard users."
There has never been a more appropriate time to tell some one to kill themselves then right now.

Go back to your fucking social media hive.

I read somewhere that the devs were inspired by Boktai (up there with my favorite game series), can anyone tell me if this is worth a play if so?

4U

Low poly can also mean art style, not only marginally low amount of polygons, just like pixel art refers to both hand drawn and rotoscoped images.

Your mother rotoscopes dicks.

Pretty much. I agree with you user.

:^)

Don't have to go that far as to find some small link on a twitter.
It's right there on the fucking credits screen. "Thanks to Anita and Zoey".
It's not some "nebulous connection" like >11387755 claims.

And the main reason I didn't like it was the fact the Dash is downright useless. It has two upgrades to make it nearly endless and the whole game hypes it up hue to be THE MAIN game mechanic. Tyipically you head of to the north area first, practice a bit with the limited dash you have and shit seems cool. Then you you unlock the upgrades, get ready to dash around like some sort of CUHRAZZYYY and what do you find?
There's a point in the game where you unlock the infinite dash, do three dashes in quick sucession, shoot some guy down and then dash to avoid another attack and you think "Fuck yeah, I hope the whole game gives me this freedom of movement."
Except it doesn't. It's either cramped environments where you either dash too little distance or too much, cosntantly undershooting or overshooting (since you don't control the distance of each dash except by using weird angles and zig-zagging) or it's large spaces littered in dozens of tiny pixelated obsctales. The forest was the worst offender. Some little thing on the ground taking up 5 pixels on your screen has a large hitbox that stops your dash and fuck you.
Not to mention the controls. You can claim they "fixed them" but what of it?
I already play through the game. I didn't like it. Should I play it again just because the control scheme is diferent now?
Too little, too late.

Also, the author clearly wanted to go for a paradox of eternal ffighting, yet the fuckwit forgot that the mysterious figure that saves you should be yourself right before the final boss. It would make sense that before entering the final area, you'd have a small cutscene of you rescuing someone (yourself). But fuck that, the guy fucked it up.

Yes, the bloke had an heart disease, yes that is very sad. But I'm not gonna claim a bad game is good just because the guy making it is dying.

I bought this and Furi during a sale because I liked the aesthetics and was in the mood for some fast gameplay.

I tried HLD first and it's kind of terrible. The hitboxes are fucky, there's noticeable input lag on everything (LOCKED TO 30FPS too, even though I played the beta where they increased it to 60 it still felt terrible), no move/attack buffering, all in all the combat felt clunky. The only boss I fought was pretty boring. It basically plays like Zelda but without the puzzles, exploration, all focused on a combat system instead that's just not great.

Then I played Furi and it pretty much did everything HLD did wrong perfectly instead, focused on a variety of bosses, the only issue being the first run through the game with those walking sections.

All I remember was that the soundtrack was the absolute worst thing I've ever heard

What's with the obnoxious linebreaks user?

Input buffering is cancer though.

There's 3 line breaks and 21 lines of text.
That's 1/8 of the lines being linebreaks.
IF you think THAT is obnoxious, consider the fact that you've swoalloed the Holla Forums "reddit spacing" meme a bit too far down your throat.
I know you're one of the 4am retards shitting up the board with non-discussions. You really oughta stop that, you're not helping them.

Input buffering is essential to making action games play smoothly as well as enabling certain combos, I can't think of a single good action game that doesn't have it (DMC, fighting games, Platinum games, etc).

They would all be vastly improved by removing that.
Reflex > pattern recognition.

You end the "fighting" though. Not that there really was any fighting left, the evil was locked away pretty well down there. The only reason to defeat it is an attempt to save yourself, but even that doesn't wind up happening.

But there's no reflexes involved in it either way, you know in advance what time the move ends - it only requires timing. While in a lot of cases input buffering just makes this more lenient, there are some things that otherwise aren't humanly possible without it in 2D fighting games. Trust me, playing games without it is immediately noticeable and feels terrible, there's no real logical reason not to have it. Obviously more casual games like DmC:DMC take it way too far.

Without the principle of input buffering, Bayonetta's dodge offset mechanic wouldn't be a thing, and Furi couldn't do its charged-dash-charged-attack things either.

The ending kinda loops back to the begining cutscene.
That door keeps getting opened and closed forever. Everytime you beat the boss, it closes with you inside. Then you save yourself so you can fight it again. Or maybe it's your father/captain/uncle-who-touched-you, who the fuck knows

Forgot to add one more complaint: the hard mode. Besides making several of the powerups useless it sucks ass. Enemies take more hits to die while you get less. Besides being boring: "Oh you managed to outplay 7 guys and kill them without a scratch but this fella teleports behind you and hits you for your whole HP bar, get rekt, restart the whole room now" that sort of thing would work with smaller rooms with less enemies. The first few screens of the forest were a pain. I think one screen had up to 20 diferent enemies. I constantly managed to down 18 or 19 of them to have the last one hit me. Here, fight them all again. After the first few tries it became monotous, repetitive and more memory than actual skill since enemies constantly repeated the same pattern.
It also entirely invalidates the medkit mechanic since they barely recover your HP, and that's the HP that is already lower than normal and vanishes twice as fast anyway.
Hardmode means you upgrade guns and nothing else. Not even grenades are any use there.

There. Is that enough whitespace removed so you don't get triggered, you dogshit-fondling gibbering fuckwit?

steamcommunity.com/app/257850/discussions/0/365163686056524484/

Speaking of Holla Forums.
>>>/n/487626

I only wish it had more conventional RPG system, where you could farm mobs and ubgrade your basic shit like HP, damage, defence etc, while explorations would still reward you with equipment like it does.
Combat is really fun and enjoyable, but it really lacks cherry on top in the form of level up message once in a while.

Kirby