Remove one single thing from a game to immensely improve it

RNG

Other urls found in this thread:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Armor_(Ability)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shell_Armor_(Ability)
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cultural_references
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Real time with pause

CRITS

The only I'd remove are the cringeworthy references/memes

Any and all relations to the film.

You're one of those faggots who cares about "balance" in single player games? Low energy.

You're one of those faggots who cares about video games? Low energy.

Ok, I don't know where all you people came from. I can hazard a few guesses. But you niggers really need to lurk a bit before starting to post.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Armor_(Ability)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shell_Armor_(Ability)

Just make a team out of these pokemon if crits bother you so much.

They're remaking IWD in the ToEE engine.

But it does have memes you dingus.

OP

The shitty sensor that makes it impossible to play

>completely scripted in every way imaginable, down to each single damage number you deal or take

A "meme" can be one of two things. It can be an inside joke or trend within a small community or it can be one of the corporate-forced "reddit memes" which are basically template image macros. The pop culture references in Fallout 2 don't fall under either of those categories. A good example of "memes" in an older game would be the fat lute, fishy sticks and banhammer from Morrowind because they were all inside jokes between the Bethesda devs and fans on the forums. This is back before the Bethesda devs betrayed their fans and stopped visiting the forums.

KF1
Zed time

It's not though, you fucking idiot
it is references, mentions of other games or events current to the time the game was made

kys

So I should like be a clairvoyant or a prophet or some shit?

I'm fine with the memes, they're cringeworthy but at least the game wasn't as bland as FO1.

Hell yeah, I think it should be all depended on the vats, like shooting the eyes of a unparalyzed target takes the whole of your vats.

Bullet Time

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cultural_references
I suppose we can look at this list and make our own conclusions.

You only conclude those references are memes because you don't know what a meme is. We can form our own conclusion but yours is wrong. I'm sure you weren't born yet, but this was common in video games back then.

You've never gambled before, have you?

For what purpose?

git gud

Memes are the genes of a culture as Charles Darwin said, Reddit "memes" are shit tier but some people have to admit that making bad references to old shit "culture" hurt the writing in an otherwise great fallout game.

References ≠ memes

But it's still a gamble. I hate gambling.

Its unrealistic

Remove the uninterruptible cutscenes and the hand holding.

What do you think Unwashed villagers fighting a spammer is?

Dawkins and Darwin may as well be the same person by this point. It's not like his cult understand a thing about science and history to begin with.

Sounds more like a personal problem than one with the game. Like most "issues" stated in this thread.

Don't see what the problem is, I'm just using his definition of the word "meme"

Like the jew-on-a-stick crowd is any better.

Random number in gameplay is the laziest kind of abstraction ever. You can't deny that/

Saying you're no more uneducated than the average Christian isn't saying much.

remove soul memory
remove leveling past 99
remove the almost non-existent combat system and rework it completely from scratch
remove time mechanic

Shoot yourself.

as long as it isn't in bullet time

lol

That would be F.E.A.R.

Remove restockable healing items and add a limit of 10 or so that restocks when you die. although it stops being a problem later when you get anough healing items from drops and you can buy them with excess souls** its still really annoying early game having to grind for healing after every boss failure.

I'd only give you 5 if I felt generous to players. 3 basic potions that refill after dying should be just enough to get players back on their feet to train and collect more themselves without hand holding them.

Weight limit

Fair enough. My only problem then would be that they never really heal enough to only give them 5, it takes me 2 to get 80% of my health back.

Healing percentages then.

Then don't guzzle blood during boss fights.I don't mean this in a "lol just git gud the game is perfect u just suck lmao" but grinding for blood vials is the wrong way to play. If you're unsure about a boss, only use a few vials and focus on studying its moveset. Once you feel comfortable you probably wont need vials, but if you slip up throughout the fight you can use them without feeling like you've wasted them. You won't be short on them for the entirety of the early game if you approach healing during bosses like this.

Vials heal a percentage of your health, not a fixed value like estus.

Padding. I don't know how many times I've proceeded towards an objective in this bloody game just to be told I need to fuck off and find three random items scattered throughout a dungeon or landscape before proceeding, only to be told that in order to proceed from that point I need to get another three things done.

Game's fun enough, but fuck man, there's a fine line between 'lots of content' and 'lots of bullshit that pads playtime.'

Speaking of ToEE:
Was it too much to ask that somebody actually make a 3E game without taking a big "creative" shit on it?

Anthony Burch's involvement.

trooooooooooooooolll threeeeeeeeeeead

This.

kill yourself

This can happen in real life, maybe your character hesitated. Maybe your character hadn't been getting enough electrolytes and his hand cramped up. Maybe your character got some dust in his eyes at that moment. Maybe your character doubted his own resolve. Maybe your character sensed he was controlled by a faggot who seriously needs to learn risk management skills and you were taught a lesson.

DAN TALKING.

What's the worst possible opposite of critical hit RNG?

critical miss where you fail to hit something so hard your arm swings around and you stab yourself in the face

Absolutely everything in the game is fixed. Enemies follow a strict pattern, always using the exact same sequence of attacks. They may change depending on what you do, but it's always in the exact same way. You can memorize the entire game from beginning to end.

miss every time

I AM SHIVA GOD OF DEATH

Soul farming.

Really hated that about Starcraft and Warcraft 2. Total Annihilation is -the- example for UI design.

I like how you think.

That's how things work

You're a fucking monster.

Remove that fucking retarded slow start that Sonic has when he has no rings that wasn't in previous games.

The extremely rigid structure compared to Mario 64. In M64, you started right off with a versatile moveset,one that let you get all over the place with enough skill, and it was fun doing it. Almost every obstacle had more than one way of surmounting it, and doing things out of the intended order was feasible anywhere. Hell, just moving around in general was fun. BK failed to understand any of this, and for what benefit? None that I can see. I still like it, but damn if it doesn't hurt to think what could have been.
Maybe with Yooka Laylee they've come to understand these simple ideas, but my hopes aren't exactly soaring.

You know character stats and weapon stats are a thing, right…?

Stats without RNG are just "My number is bigger than your number" which is boring.

this is actually much better

I'm talking something worse than bad critical hit RNG.

Maybe fixed stats that deliberately put you at a disadvantage in every single fucking fight in terms of damage output and endurance.

respawning niggers at checkpoints

You need to remove a lot more to fix that game

I was going to put KOTOR: Jedi Charries but I reckon it'd make a better game

No, that's an RPG.

I'd prefer that.

Dragon Age Origins: the elven forest
The Witcher 2: make the sword hit the enemies it touches instead of only the locked on fuck
Attack on Titan Wings of Freedom: the retarded burning effect on special enemies
Kane and Lynch Dead Men: remove one of the civil war stages

Click-to-move interface.

The swing meter. And I don't mean "just turn it off", which you can actually do in the options. I mean make it so that the game was designed around not having it. Status-effect moves should work 100% or there's no reason to ever waste a turn on them. The swing meter trivialized what was an interesting class-based rock-paper-scissors dynamic in the game because you could negate heavyweights' massive accuracy penalty to lightweights by simply mastering the swing meters.

RNG

It's not RNG. It's more like guided RNG.

One of the most popular mods for Wesnoth changes the random hit chance into a damage multiplier.

Come think of it, RNG is so widely disliked because, given how most humans think and behave, it's designed not to give the player any satisfaction. Missing an attack that has an 80% success rate is really infuriating, and suceeding an attack that has only a 20% success rate would feel real good if anyone ever allowed it to happen. But nobody ever allows it to happen, because when given an option to either give this 20% attack a shot and moving closer to the target to increase the success probability, everyone in their right minds will take these few steps to make their attack a safer bet.
Random hit chances are always an annoyance in nearly every game because anyone will get angry at failing if they took every step possible to increase their chances beforehand. On the other hand nobody seems to mind randomized damage because in this case you at least get rewarded for every swing that collides with the enemy's hitbox.
Morrowind did random hit% right by never displaying the actual hitrates; seeing a big number and then missing is always dissatisfying

Is this bait?

Unfortunately that mod doesn't quite alter damage appropriately in certain instances leading to upending the damage balance. It also guarantees hits for poison- or slow-causing attacks which also alters some balance. Wesnoth had a mod that addresses these deficiencies I would play it a lot more.

Underrated post.

The problem with RNG in Wesnoth is that it has the effect of undermining its strategic focus. Why should a player consider deeper planning like sending a certain group of units that should in theory be able to narrowly defeat another group when that often doesn'tt work and leads to ruin? The strategy of sacrificial play is also badly reduced by this. When the satisfaction of planning is upended so many times the "strategy" gets reduced to simply taking on the enemy with overwhelming force every time.

Dorian's shirt

People who understand how the game works are going to have a good idea of their chance either way. And stupid people are still going to get frustrated either way. I do agree that it is preferable to not display the chance. But think about it. Retards were still complaining that they couldn't hit anything in Morrowind. Retards still complain about that. On the other hand, it is obvious to know what to do to bring up your hit chance and if you see a full fatigue bar and you know your weapon skill is good then you know your hit chance is good. You don't need it displayed.

Explain the difference.

Make the weapon skill affect distance, fire rate, and reloading speed. Make distance affect damage and fire rate instead of accuracy. Make the VATS points hundreds instead of just 10 to facilitate the more complex combat mechanics. Separate the moving range VATS from the action VATS. RNG is just an excuse for laziness.

Instead of resorting to RNG, there should be a more detailed calculations formula for poison tolerance.

I agree

You had one job, fam.

Human eye can't see past chromatic aberration anyway.

Stop being antisemitic, user.

ayy

Here me out. I've played this game over a dozen times and after the first time the sanity meter stops being interesting and becomes something I just game for my amusement. Intentionally keeping it low so I can see all the effects and using ED's very good combat system to mitigate what health I lose from low sanity + enemy aggro.

I like the idea of a character going insane but I've come to find that limiting sanity to a single variable doesn't feel quite right. The sanity meter shouldn't be something you can refill just by casting a spell or performing a finisher, and it should have more lasting effects on a character. Since ED is built around short campaigns with different characters I'd have liked sanity to be more detrimental and based on more variables than just spotting an enemy.

The sanity effects are also pretty nice but lose their novelty as you repeat them.

You mean remove the mechanic directly responsible for instilling tension into the game?

Holy shit! You mean like a game?

Much like the time mechanic in Majora's mask, I don't think sanity should be something you can game in your favor. It's my opinion that both are supposed to be a limitation on your play style. the three day cycle means you can't complete all the quests at your leisure and you have to pick and choose what objectives you will accomplish based on when you are, and what items you have. Up until you complete all the major dungeons and have a number of side quests it's impossible to do a bomber's notebook run and complete all the side quests, but by the time you can you have so much mastery over the game the only hard parts are making sure you babysit the Anju/Kafei quest until the end.

Sanity should do more to your character. Make them afraid to attack. Make them break down. Hallucinations should be more lasting and things like imagining enemies should have permanent after-effects like ammo used to fight them not instantly returning after the effect ends.

Disagree entirely. The solar sensor led to some pretty interesting if undeveloped environmental elements.

I don't think Lunar Knights was nearly as good as Boktai

RNG

I don't mind RNG so much for internal AI decision making, but for events and decisions it should be deterministic.

Having it be RNG just encourages save-scumming because you can get a one-time event that completely fucks up the game unless you reload and try again. Forming the Danubian Federation for example requires a whole lot of successful RNG events. Same with CB justification, you could get it done with a little infamy or you could take the whole hit on day one and it's completely fucking random.

Honestly, RNG in general is pretty much cancer and I can't think of a single situation where it wouldn't be better replaced with a deterministic model. RNG seems like something that made its way in due to technical and design limitations in early days, especially when they were adapting tabletop games that have die rolling and such, and then for the most part never went away due to lazy devs.

t. rob

would've fixed the entire game's battle system

Most RTS games already work that way (since most of them are multiplayer-oriented and a deterministic model lets you cut down on the amount of data players send to each other - you just exchange actions instead of the entire game state) and it's pretty good.

Speaking of which, did /gsg/vickymod ever start getting updated again, other than shitty branch off versions like rob's? I liked it better than HPM.

I'll accept it if the game is so complex that replicating the same sequence of events each time is actually really difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's better than bad crit RNG regardless, but a little RNG can go a long way towards making the player have to think on his feet.

The retarded, eye-searing, seizure inducing storm of colors when you shoot the bosses. It makes it a pain to even look at them, which can actually distract you and get you killed. One of the dumbest attempts to show off the graphics technology I've ever seen.

Most games are complex enough. Something as minor as just what direction you walked in, or just where you clicked to send these units (or insert other genre example here) could make a huge difference in what the AI reacts with, once decisions have snowballed a bit, and that's if you were specifically trying to do the exact same thing every time, which you would never quite manage. In practice you'd not be trying to do that and so your behavior would be very different each time.

In something like a TBS you could probably do the exact same actions every game; in most other genres your own human limitations of muscle control and timing would lead to your input being a bit different each time.

No, fucking around doesn't automatically make something a game.