Civilization Thread

I haven't played one of these games in years, so I downloaded Beyond the Sword yesterday and wow, is this game even better than I remember it being as a teenager.
Since I'm rusty, I figured I should play as a simple military civ to ease my way into the game - and I've been dominating the world with the Persian Empire ever since. But then again, I'm a bitch who plays on Warlord difficulty. I think I've got the basics of warfare down, but I was wondering: How do I win as a cultural civ? I always get knocked off balance by warmongering neighbors which distracts me from culture production long enough to drag out the game to the end.

Feel free to talk about others in the series, people at work tell me I should play 5 or 6 instead, but I don't feel like I understand 4 enough yet to move on and get a proper feel for the differences. and I haven't played 3 in probably 15 years so I don't remember shit about it

Do any of them have a better soundtrack than 4?

5 was dumbed down, if you played it it would probably be easier.

this

6 is like a board game. it's not THAT bad, but for me it didn't feel like a civ game

First rule of faggotclub is you don't discuss vidya with normalfags.

Now, V is meh, VI has nice districts but shit AI and IV has generally aged like shit and should be played with mods.

You can play anything on warlord tier and call it easier.

I was asked what I was playing, Civilization seemed like a pretty safe thing to say. What mods should I get? I know there's that fantasy mod that usually gets brought up, and I'd like to check it out, but do you have any suggestions that aren't huge overhauls?

But I don't want to play a dumbed down game, that's why I was hesitant to pirate it in the first place.

It's refocused. I know it's a cop-out answer but you still need to git gud to beat V on higher levels. ib4 cheating ai - it cheated since civ I and colo

Whatever suits you OP. I personally like Master of Mana (a modmod of that fantasy mod you mentioned) and the Dune one but plenty of shit over at civfanatics.

Am I close? Is it a guy instead?you falling for some casual strategy loving trap?

Blue Marble works for me.

Uh, wait, is he the trap, or you?

Just bear in mind that BM is pretty much just a graphics thing. Fall from Heaven or some of the other larger mods do stuff you wouldn't believe, scenarios for one. also, are you the trap?

I know, the graphics are rather nice looking, though. I know Fall From Heaven has stuff like mana tiles or something and that does sound cool, but I had something moreā€¦ vanilla in mind. Minor tweaks or fixes/enhancements, stuff like that.

I'm getting my ass kicked as the Mayans

Better to be safe and assume that both of them are traps

also I'm not the trap

implying that's precisely not what a trap would say

5 is more approachable for sure but "Dumbed down" is mostly just Holla Forums being angry at newer games as Holla Forums. tends to do. It's not that 5 is casualized, it's that it's streamlined and focused, as says

Part of the reason Holla Forums likes to shit on 5 is that at launch, it actually *was* dumbed down and was just broken, but that's been entirely fixed over time thanks to the expansions. Holla Forums also forgets that vanilla 4 wasn't that spectacular either.

In terms of quality, 5 with all the expansions and DLC is more or less on par with 4 with all the expansions, both are pretty much tied for best civ experience.

Yea, no. 5 might as well not be part of the series. It's a completely different game that just happens to have the name of a good franchise slapped on. Only people who don't play above Prince say Civ5 is actually good.

For the love of god don't use anything I posted to reinforce this retardation.

Even heavily modded (and that's a laugh in itself considering how they neutered modding) V is only good for quick matches, preferably of the multiplayer variety since the AI is still shit. Easily exploited, easily manipulated and easily slaughtered provided you can find a half decent chokepoint. Or even on open bloody plains if you have the stomach to stall him with his own half dead units.

No. One tile per turn still completely fucks the AI. City states are still broken. The entire design of the game is idiotic and seems like it was done by people who didn't even play the previous games.
Fuck you.

>The entire design of the game is idiotic
And then you have the other extreme side of the retardation coin.

Is shit good - not particularly. Is it godawful - not really. Is it fun - occasionally. Seriously, how hard is it to drop the cheap melodrama hyperbole routine?

No, it was made by an intern who's only previous work was Espionage in IV: BTS and had the entire testing team fired halfway through development, resulting in a broken mess on release that was saved by someone actually competent making the expansions.

If you can find a release version of Civ V you'll see what happened.

I gotta learn how to stick to build orders and plan my buildings out.

No two starts are the same so you better practice some adaptability and learn what you need to priorities then hammering a rigid build.
Playing the AI also means that you can get away with some mistakes a player would exploit.

Generally speaking focus on his melee units, whenever possible have a cockblocking melee of your own in position and blitz+range siege units rule the game. Also forget about most wonders and religions.

Have there been any good 4X games since BtS and the Endless franchise?
I could just keep modding the shit out of Civ 4 and playing EL online until the end of days, but a change of pace might be nice.

But I hear wonders and religions are good?
Shit, it seems like anything works in this game, I just need to figure it the fuck out.

Provided you don't waste time producing them only to get cucked by the AI with their bonus and possibly civ advantages. And even then you need to ask yourself if it better to have an army capable of denying settlers, an early expand and some nice territory or watching gandhi take a piss on your hanging gardens.