If post-WOW MMOs are clones of WOW then what would make an interesting MMO?

If post-WOW MMOs are clones of WOW then what would make an interesting MMO?

sage for off topic, but that's one sexy gun

Probably the exact opposite of WoW

Give me back City of Heroes you absolute fucks.

Something with actual in-depth gameplay and no shitty grinding bullshit.

Never played WoW, but those are the two big things missing from every MMO I played.

Make a APB:Reloaded or Shattered Galaxy clone

I see CoH mentioned semioften around here. What was so good about it and why did it die?

It's not.

obviously it's to increase the speed of bullets, you're supposed to hold it like this for maximum velocity
:^)

do you even thumb over bore

It wasn't that good, and it died because the company sold to a Chinese company that now runs Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, and Perfect World. They are all basically the same game.

Everything.

Really, though, it was a game that came out in a sea of fantasy MMOs with a modern day+science fiction+occult bent, where you could fight anything from zombies, chinese sorcerers, cyberpunk street thugs mixed with orks, nazi werewolves, ents that summon giant swarms of bees to fuck your shit, aliens that are invading the planet, a cult of spooky wizards, greedy corporate assassins, superpowered troupes of acrobats and clowns, the fucking actual Tuatha de Danann, demons, and on and on.

You could only play as heroes when it first launched but then they launched City of Villains and then stapeled the two games together and allowed pvp between the Heroes and Villains.

It had an insane array of options on character creation for character customization, and a main and secondary class system a bit like Guild Wars, and all kinds of crazy fucking shit would be happening on-screen at any given time when there were 4 or more people around because of it.

It was one of those games where you could be satisfied just moving around the various cities and looking at stuff if you felt so inclined, OR waging an endless one-man war on crime.

It came out in 2004, and died basically under the weight of time, in 2012. At some point the company that created it sold it off the NCSoft and then NCSoft made it free to play and later killed it off. Their support for it was pretty good for years, honestly, but then they gave it the axe.

zombie survival simulator, based on war or day z's design with a sprawling open world like skyrim or oblivion and a mmo party system based on clan warfare like in mount and blade

open world tps rpg with gunz mechanics and all of the git gud that comes with it

friendly fire permanently on

I too need large multiplayer game ideas to steal pitch to investors.

What do kids like and want these days?

I know pokeymans is still an obvious one since your generation is full of manchildren but there has to be more to it than that.

How about one where instead of using weapons you throw butt plugs at things, there could even be a special skill set where if you level it up enough, you get to throw dragon dildos at things.

drugs, lots of drugs.
Also peeling the skin off hookers. Don't forget the satanic worship. Oh, and all the puke and shit fetishes. Good stuff. Throw in furries and bronies too.
Yeah, it'll be a million dollar game for sure.

Maybe if they focused on sandboxes and refining that type of MMO instead themepark ones.

Keep your eyes on City Of Titans. It's a fan-made replacement for City of Heroes/Villains. It's still early stages, though. Vid related.

CITY OF TITANS NEVER EVER

They posted an update a month ago.

The finger notches are for tactical suicide.

Dark Dessert with less grind and no pay2win

Give me shadowbane back.

One that revolves around teamwork and isn't a theme park.

Are you a casual?

(Checked)
Ultima Online, of course.

Ultima Online is still the best. I'm old now and I'm still playing it.

It is pretty much the only MMO to do pet classes in a satisfying way.
Instead of the 1 pet DPS class you usually get where the pet is more of a second thought, the Mastermind was a support class built around managing 6 permanent pets, and these pets were different from eachother even within the same power sets.
I've yet to find an MMO that allows for a supporting pet class that uses a squad of permanent pets, and that is an itch that won't be scratched until some windfall is met in either getting CoH back or a successor finally appearing.

Haven and hearth was good. In a "genociding everyone around your village and mining" kind of way. Too bad devs are swedish faggots.

What's so special about them being permanent? It's cooler to tame every animal you encounter and unleash them on people.

I've been playing DC Universe Online a little recently since it's f2p, and I would say it's about 20% as good as City of Heroes. That still makes it kind of fun, in particular using Acrobatics to run around the city reminds me of having Ninja Run.

But really there's nothing like COH. Classes were broad roles, and your powerset determined how you approached that role. For example, there were Defenders and Corrupters (the 'healing' support class) who didn't have any heals at all, and the one supposedly straight healing power (Empathy) was much more powerful if you focused on your buffs and left heals as a secondary focus.
Controllers were a class that was almost solely focused on crowd control, and in COH crowd control was in that sweet spot between "totally broken" (early EQ) and "tits on a boar" (everything other game).
COH was actually making good money at the end because, surprise, people were willing to pay for new powers that changed how the game played. It only got killed off so their staff could focus on GW2 or some shit like that.

The other thing that MMOs need to do that COH was great at was scaling.
Your build is OP and missions are too easy? Crank up the difficulty until it's just right.
Your friend just started playing and he's twenty levels lower than you? You can temporarily drop to his level, or he can temporarily go up to yours, and you'll both get level-relevant rewards and XP.

An MMO that actually lets you role-play in a fantasy setting instead of being a fucking themepark set in a world that otherwise might as well be a wasteland with nothing to do. An MMO that doesn't restrict me in where I can go. Get rid of Tab-targetting. Something with proper lifeskills that mean something and are engaging to work on for the player and not some mindless boring grind just to see a little loading bar fill up and shit out an item at the end. For example make cooking something fun like how Dragon's Crown did it.
Make it so that people can play mini-games with each other at inns for in-game currency or something.
Also, fuck auction houses. Have designated places for players to set up market stalls and shops in bigger cities and let them be able to set them up wherever outside of cities.

I could ideaguy about this shit all day long and I haven't even started on actual classes and skills, but the assholes that make MMO's will never get close to this.

I'm quite sure that you'll take heavy interest in Camelot Unchained. The game they are making has a lot of things you said and they have really cool and unique stuff designed for the ability/spell system and basically everything.
Sorry for the "whats up guys le epic youtuber here", but he is a very small channel and is probably the only one to explain it thoroughly and has experience on MMOs

Just gave it a watch. I Don't know if I like the setting or the world too much with everything being focused on PvP, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how all those classes, magic and crafting are going to turn out. Thanks.

Star Wars Galaxies

They're just interactive chatrooms and gambling dens for lonely Chinese.

It died because NCSoft wanted Aion to be their flagship MMO, and didn't want to compete with themselves, especially with an American game.

That hardware that once housed City of Heroes is now hosting Aion servers, where it's thousands of accounts - and two actual, genuine players among them.

I hate those dogeating gooks so Goddamn much.

Camelot Unchained seems interesting in concept so far but so does everything really. Time will tell, I've been keeping an eye on it with high hopes, so far they've not been absolute jews so that's a plus.

theyre always going to want to regain the popularity of wow. and that means end game dungeons are the focus.
every mmo after wow ive seen has had criticism at its lack of end game content. which isnt to say they had an unusually low volume of end game shit to do but when they just play wow to raid thats all theyre going to be interested in the new game too.

Subscription based. A world that is actually massive, long quests and detailed plots with no objective markers or big exclamation marks over the heads of npcs. No instances or sharding or phasing or any of that shit, just hand-crafted wilderness, landmarks. At level one you should be a hobo-looking, possibly retarded potato farmer with a rusty knife, not an incarnate marvel hero-soul-god-avatar faggot with a glowing purple sword. No cartoon artstyle. No teleporting, no cosmetics shop.

Next-gen bust sliders.

yeah! on lolis!

eve with gameplay that isnt shit.
starcitizen if it werent headed by a clueless retard and was ever released.
something along those lines.

Being anything pre-WOW, because WOW itself was fucking awful and everyone is just copying an awful game these days.