I've owned this game practically since it came out

Why can't I get into this game? Sell me on it. I don't *hate* it like I do FF13, I just find the character designs boring and the new mechanics unappealing. But I feel I HAVE to get through this game, it's the only damned one in the series I haven't.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/5ZA8D#selection-1261.0-1263.243
youtube.com/watch?v=IZJB-ylRWiI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's jank as fuck, find out how to break thr game. FF8 is my favorite FF (haven't played 15 yet so who knows there) but I can say that it's a really bad game and the only reason I like it is because it's a jank mess.

No user, you don't. You have a problem, acknowledge it and get over it.

Do you enjoy utterly destroying games to the point where the majority of the mechanics don't matter? That's what FF8 excels at.

Find a min-maxing guide, get a party and breeze through the game after playing cards for 4-5 hours.

No user you don't have to play this game, in fact I will tell you this game is basically 2001 a space odyssey. You will be better off playing almost anything else.

hey that was a good movie.
It sucked at being a movie though.

That was a great movie, what is your point?.

Exactly the same happens to me with FFVII.

I started the game a shitload of times but never could play more than 10 hours or so.

How in the ever loving fuck did you suffer through all of FF13 and presumably both its sequels but get bored of 8?

FF7's a breeze for me, because I really liked the characters, the designs, the mini games, the music, and every time I do something that makes the game a breeze.

The first time I played through I was really fixated on the E. Skill materia. I didn't know anything about blue mages as it was my first FF at the time (followed it with 6, 5 and 4, skipped over 8 and played the hell out of 9.)

I didn't have a guide at the time, so I just went around trying to get everything to use any special abilities on me, and I got to Midgar Zolom and managed to get it to use Beta on my party, but not on anyone who had E.Skill equipped. So I spent a couple hours grinding to be able to survive the fight and acquire the spell. If you get through that area able to kill the Zolom instead of avoiding it, the game pretty much never catches up. The only things that I struggle with at all after that are Emerald and Ruby Weapon.

The other thing that's really important to making the game ridiculously easy is the E.Skill Big Guard. There's these shellfish things you can find on the beaches after the cave behind Zolom, if you use Manipulate on them, you can have them cast Big Guard on you. Big Guard grants Haste, Guard and M.Guard all in one go. Another useful E.Skill is Magic Hammer which drains enemy MP. Extremely useful in some fights, renders some enemies completely unable to act. White Wind's not bad either, or Trine for that matter.

As I mentioned, I hated FF13, but is it a *hard* game?

To be honest, I didn't *really* play it. I own it, but I just sat back and watched the girl I was dating at the time play through it. She loved it, and I saw it as a gateway game so I just let her enjoy it. Considering how boring it was (she absolutely fucking loved it though) I sort of consider myself done with it anyway.

I have the first of the spin-offs because I heard it was an FF monster raising game, and that's something I've wanted for years, but I found the game very hard to give a shit about, and I haven't played Lightning Returns at all. I don't care about her, I don't care if she returns.

FF8's designs are just so bland to me, aside from the monsters. I do like FF8's monster designs. I guess part of it is that none of the playable female characters are busty, I didn't find myself crushing on any of them. I mean I guess Selphie's cute, Quistis might do something for me if I was into blondes, and she had tits. Rinoa does absolutely nothing for me.

I think the character design I actually liked best is fucking Zell, and I mostly just remember him in as "the guy they clearly based all three designs from The Bouncer off of."

FF8 has been one of the most controversial FF games since it came out. It singlehandedly split the FF fanbase in 3 because you had oldfags who only liked 8bit and 16bit FF versus that new 3d shit but then it split between 7 and 8 fanboys. It's one of those games you either love or hate and there doesn't seem to be anyone in between.

It's not even controversial, it's just a black sheep that mainstream audiences never heard of, so everyone assumes it's bad. Kinda like Zelda 2.

No, but neither is 8. Actually it's probably the easiest game in the series, at least of the main-lines.

I actually like all FF's pre X, my favorite VII, but i liked FFVIII Laguna love story, the setting, soundtrack and minigames, my major grip is Squall being a shitty MC and the combat system.

FFXV gets that award now with QTEs everywhere and combat without any depth.

An excellent film that redefined what film could be with its stunning visuals and poignant use of classical music?

Because I always thought FFVIII was garbage

'member when the easiest Final Fantasy game was called Mystic Quest?

I remember going through the FF7 strategy guide as a teen and realizing that they never mention Big Guard except to say that it exists on the enemy skills list. Probably because it makes everything easy as hell

It's not a bad game other than leveling being broken. (Not FF2 broken. It is playable without abusing glitches.) There are some neat things going on in it. Don't forget to draw from every boss so you don't miss any GF's.
Does this do anything for you?

Not even necessary. You can get an elemental materia in Shinra HQ. Put that on armor with fire and use a tranq to depress yourself (reduces limit increase and damage by 1/3) and you'll survive it. The best way is to cast poison and wait. You have to let it knock a character out of bounds before it casts beta, though.

Unless you played it like me and leveled Squall up to max. At which point repeated mouth-fuckings commence.
Omega Weapon…
Dear God…

I could personally stand the game right up until the part where the main characters realise they've known each other THE WHOLE TIEM and just forgot because GF. After that I just couldn't stand to play it any more.

RPGs generally take a lot of time investment for me and FFVIII was not a good investment of my time.

D O I T F O R H E R

That's because FF8's story was made up on the fly. I'm not kidding.

I don't have to sell you on shit. Personally I hated the game when it came out, but if you don't like it, just don't fucking play it.

This bitch can die in a fire. The only use she has is target practice at an atomic bomb testing site.

I want to roleplay train sex with Selphie.

I played it on the PS1, where Omega is always level 100. There's nothing you can't Zell to death anyway.

Get the PC version, there were a couple of mods that improves some of the shit like models. Also, don't be attached to the story, it gets shitty by the last goddamn part, follow a completetionist check-list if you want to experience everything.

This TBH user. You don't owe Squenix anything. If the game doesn't hook you then don't bother.
There could be something to say about giving a slow game like that a bit more time to make its case, but if you're already convinced then there's no point in forcing it.

I don't know why people get hung up on this, it's mentioned several times throughout the game that GFs cause memory loss and therefore their use is highly controversial. The party also only spent their early childhood together, I don't remember a single person from kindergarten and the only thing I abused is alcohol.

I love FF VIII mainly for two reasons, the setting and the broken gameplay. The whole SEED mercenary school thing is incredibly cool and breaking the gameplay by running from every random encounter and extracting overpowered spells from cards is really fun. The cardgame is great in general, spent easily a few dozen hours on it alone. There are lots of unique cards to collect, too.

Can't blame anyone for disliking it, though. If you hate the setting for being cheesy and expect quality gameplay you've got the wrong game.

Selphie a shit, Quistis is best girl.

I'm not surprised

Because it's fucking dumb, that's why

I honestly think the game might have been better if you just played cards in place of the battles. The story wouldn't have been any less silly that way either.

That image is less convincing than the Cloud one. Way less.

Most of those things you can do and still be quite emo. Riding a chocobo, giving a shit about others, dancing, fighting. Also the card game is optional, and it's you playing, not Squall.

Also, some of the other lines, reading them imagining him saying them… It kind of makes him sound autistic to say this, but I could totally picture him saying those things completely seriously.

For the record, part of why I want to get through this *is* actually to dispel the whole "emo FF protagonist" myth. Cloud isn't emo, neither is Locke, Zidane or Tidus. Whenever I think of Cloud I go back to the scene where he told Barret in his sailor outfit he looked like "a bear wearing a marshmallow."

The debate for me is always "Is the perception of FF having emo protagonists based solely on Squall, or does even Squall deserve that label?"

In fairness, my impression so far is "Even if Squall is Emo, it doesn't matter since the other characters aren't and call him on it and mock him for it constantly." I mean our introduction to him is basically Quistis mocking how predictable he is.

Squall is pretty fucking emo. But that perception is based on Cloud in Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. Basically, it comes from people who have never and would never in their lives actually play a Final Fantasy game

A lack of hungering for desktops, I assume.

Cloud was turned into an emo faggot by Squeenix. The Cloud from FFVII is way different than any other Cloud, including the Advent Children one and the Dissidia one.

However, you're right on point about Squall. He qualifies as a functional autist: He doesn't like dealing with people, is dense as fuck, gets mocked constantly and doesn't "get it", is extremely professional and focused when the situation requieres it, and he managed to succesfully lead military operations including kidnapping politicians, assassination attempts, jailbreaks, and sabotage.

Holy shit what are the odds?

Tor browsing.

Fucking christ you're new

Fuck that

I think we got the point that IDs reset themselves and start from 00000 and over. I'm aiming for 11111 myself

I can't believe what I'm reading

Why are you falling for such obvious bait? How do idiots like you browse this website everyday for years yet still manage to take everything said on here seriously?

Oh you're just retarded then.

You didn't play those games, you watched a shitty lets play. You're a fucking faggot for even considering otherwise

Yeah, pretty much

Good you understand.

Did you play the game? No? Then it's exactly the same. Whether you fucked the person actually playing the game or not is totally irrelevant.

You did not play the games like you have claimed, you fucking the person you watched has nothing to do with anything. Your shitty reaction images and attempts to brag do not change the fact you are a lying faggot who cannot be taken seriously.

The story makes no sense. The junction system is awful. Drawing spell charges takes forever. The leveling system makes levels pointless. Max stats don't approach max damage caps which is fucking retarded. AND THAT CUNT IN THE SPACESTATION DIDN'T USE HER RARE CARD EVEN THOUGH I PLAYED HER THRICE. Also, there was some way to get infinite money through reselling items you made with Diablo's ability. It took a long time but you could in theory get max stats, IF MAX STATS MEANT ANYTHING AT ALL IN THIS FUCKING GAME.

Rinoa's dog will randomly revive her when she dies. He triggered 3 times for me during that fight when the party wiped. Including one time when it was wipe, revive, immediate attack, revive again. I was amused and appalled.

Except for that one faggot with the cowboy hat who remembered everything but didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to "seem weird". I already hated that fuck.

FFVIII is terrible, but it's still my favorite Final Fantasy. I can't really defend this, I played it on release and it was 'cinematic' for the time.
I see the same thing happening with my students who inexplicably are enjoying FFXV for some reason, so I just leave them be.

What are you on about? In the context of the game, it is Squall who's playing cards, not the player. Quistis didn't come to my room in the middle of the night and ask to see my deck.

The point of it in that image is that it shows Squall enjoys a leisure activity that involves interacting with random people around the world and off it.

You don't have to play it fam
and part of the problem is you've already played it a shit load so you have no reason to play it again
Play something else instead or go learn something

FUCK YEAH SHE IS!

r-r-….r-itsu?

Who?

I'd play the fuck out of that. The plot is about right for Yugioh too.

The draw system and spell dickery is great. If you haven't bound status effects to your basic attacks. The beauty of the game is the spellbind and draw system.
Go and dick around with spells you maggot.

I'm the exact same way
I replayed both FF& and FF9 recently

But I just can't get into 8

Easiest way to spot someone who was playing it wrong.

Get a guide, get Lionhart on disc 1, then fly through the whole game in 10 hours.

Play the first disc. You can probably manage it in a long afternoon, and it's worth it for the Dollet mission and some Quistis character development. Everything afterward is pointless because Squall dies at the end of disc 1.

You me too faggots need to die off.

I couldn't get into it either, visually it was neat for the time but the game just never felt well structured to me.
Didn't care about the school theme or the characters.
Whatever/10

The best part of VIII (apart from the soundtrack) is fucking with and abusing the junction system. But thats not to say the world, SeeD and such arent cool too.

Squall is perhaps the most interesting character of the bunch mainly because of his reluctance to be the hero combined with his loner demeanour that most people mistake as some sort of edgy teen thing.

The game is kinda what you make of it. Thanks to the junction system combined with refining items you can easily overpower yourself but you can always take it slow and draw magic. Its not really until you can get the Garden flying and you can start unlocking GFs, playing Triple Triad, finding the Pupu ship, visiting places with Squall you've seen via Laguna and such does it get particularly engaging.

My only real gripe with the twist is how Irvine never says anything. It's not a bad twist per se, but the fact its never foreshadowed by Irvine letting on he knows but being embarrassed or waving it off when nobody else responds really feels stupid.

Oh and Ultimecia is stupid. The castle and fight is cool but why future wizard powers.

there is nothing wrong with final fantasy x 2

Where in that did I say anything about Spoony, you presumptuous faggot?

FF8 is straight up a bad game. It takes exploits to be enjoyable.

That's because there is a hidden emergency stat that modifies luck and makes random events happen more often. It also allows you access limit break at a higher HP level. The more dangerous a battle the higher your emergency level is.

Aura also modifies it, making it the most useful spell in the game.

Are there really any other useful spells besides Meltdown and Triple?

This was the only game I beat because I read a fan theory on the internet that made the story seem much more interesting

The Squalls dead theory states that the entire game after Squall gets impaled with ice is a dream he has while he's dying. It explains how Rinoa goes from being interested only really in Seifer to suddenly wanting to jump on his dick. Why the game literally never explains how he survived being impaled with ice and why they bothered to revive him. Why the plot goes from a more political dispute to Seifer being a comic book villain. Why there are pointless twists like all of the characters growing up together in an orphanage and conveniently forgetting. Why the plot steadily makes less and less sense as it goes on and why the entire world starts to unravel. And why the game ends in a trippy mindfucky way with imagery like Squall's head with a giant hole in it.

These were all things that clearly seemed like nonsense while playing the game normally but made way more sense after that.

There are notes in the Garden computer about GFs effect on memory right in the beginning of the game though, so it's not like that's something Squall had to dream up.

I really hope that was not what the writers intended as "the whole plot was a dying man's dream" is probably the worst plot twist out there. It completely invalidates what happens and makes you feel like you just wasted your time. Any writer who uses it is either incompetent or an asshole.

Nah, it right. It's a retarded argument but the gist of it is that the guardian forces (pokemans) are contained in the part of your brain that stores memories. Since the GF has to make room, it removes various memories to make space for itself. In short, GFs and SeeD is a giant kike frogman scheme after you find out who's financing all of the military schools.

I'm sure the game has some explanation for it but my point is it's fucking stupid.

It's been done before. The trick is to make it ambiguous. like in one of silent hill's endings

It greatly depends on how it's employed. A similar argument can be made for the "It's all a dream" ending.

But the "It's all a dream" ending has been used effectively in certain scenarios. A good example is in Total Recall it's never exactly revealed whether he's in a dream or not. Or Minority Report. It's left ambiguous and while the story by default reads like it's not a dream if you try reading in between the lines it starts feeling like it's up for debate.

You don't have to. FFVIII was never hated or unpopular with anyone other than FFVI fags (who are cancer and their game is overrated shit) and FFVII fags who didn't like the change. That is until Spoony's retarded quarter-truth "reviews" when it became popular to bandwagon hate FFVIII.

It's badly balanced, it isn't a bad game.

Did you ever consider that I just might think the game is legitimately shit and that it has nothing to do with FFVI, FFVII, or Spoony, whose videos I have never watched in my life?

You can just play FF8 if you want that anyways.

True enough, since the whole thing is a time loop.

Seifer gained a bad rep after the Dollet incident, it's not really surprising someone (like a giddy teenage girl) might hear the name and want to talk to the guy. Then Squall was assigned to her for her request with the president. She gets to know him more and turns her attention.

If it was all a dream and Squall just wanted her attention why was he so reluctant to reciprocate?

Magic and shit. FFX never explains why people can hold their breath indefinitely.

Probably because he was on a mission and hes a damn good cop.

Seifer had always been a shallow antagonist. He was looking to pick a fight with Squall and with the Garden having thrown him aside he went to the one person who valued his skills. Seifer is immature and naive like that.

Nanomachi– I mean, GFs.

The plot only really goes full retard when Ultimecia is added to the mix. Play FFXII if you want to see a plot crumble before your eyes.

Yeah that is fucked up.

She was an acquaintance of his even before that. Maybe even his ex-girlfriend.

Seifer indirectly told Squall she was used goods ever since "that one summer". Seifer just didn't like the guy, he was like a badly written Adachi. The only time Seifer seemed like a cool guy was when he didn't give a fuck. I wanted to see more shitposting Seifer that we got to see during the seed battle.

He was pretty cool in the ending when he was just fishing with his pals. He probably got over his teenage angst period by the end of the game.

You might, but I doubt it. You're a bandwagon faggot, and you spew the same memes about the game that are completely wrong.

The only flaw the game has is balance since if you play it with half a brain you can easily beat most everything. Most of the problems people have with the plot are from them being too stupid to understand it even though it is quite simple, being too lazy to bother with side shit that fleshes out the plot, or not understanding Squall's character.

Not liking it because it isn't your taste doesn't make it shit. Just saying that its bad or shit without any good argument for why makes you look like a bandwagon faggot. Hating FFVIII is pretty much a meme now after all, and as I pointed out most of that is due to Spoony. The same kind of retarded wrong "issues" with the game stem from his review and are passed off like fact even when the game contradicts nearly all of them if you spend more than a few hours playing.

His chest wasn't even impaled, it was just below his collarbone near his arm.

The "squall is dead" and "rinoa is ultimecia" theories need to die.

Sad thing is that scene just made me feel that Seifer's only crime was getting MAD AS FUCK any time he's near Squall. His inner aussie comes out and he must always shitpost irl.

FF8 is underrated. I think it gets a bad rep largely because of all the babies for whom FF7 was their first game in the series, who were then shocked and confused that the game was set in a totally different world and Cloud and co. were nowhere to be seen.

I think the game's biggest flaw is how unclear it is, both in its gameplay and its story. People curse the game for having a flawed combat system, but it's actually pretty fun once you figure out how to use it properly - which the game makes NO effort whatsoever to teach you.

The story is an even worse offender; it tends to happen in disjointed spurts, with huge sections of important exposition and plot details hidden away in the school's computer or "extra information" section in the menu. Details like why the Garden is capable of flight, or how Cid knew about this, is never mentioned in any actual cutscene. And I remember thinking the game had glitched out and skipped a disc or something when you're suddenly launching Rinoa into space for no clear reason.

I actually love FF8, both the story and the game, but both of them are presented in such an unclear way that it's understandable some people were confused.

The best thing about FF8 was that you could just junction encounter-none and ignore 90% of the busywork.

Except you know, the fact that he saves her life multiple times before getting stabbed.

But user, 2001 a space odyssey is the Citizen Kane of movies.

Assuming you want to grind cactuars later, since you still need AP to learn refine skills.

Dude it's just not as good as the others. Stop trying to psychoanalyze people you scrub.

FF8 is my favorite of the series. I love every inch of it.

Total Recall did it and it was cool.

FF7 did the unreliable protagonist too, as long as it's not formulaic.

FF7 is also incredibly tightly scripted and lays every single plot twist out in for you in Shinra HQ if you have the eyes to see them. Cloud is the one who kills President Shinra and releases Jenova. Until you go to rescue Aerith and get within Jenova's radius of control, Sephiroth is actually no threat to the Planet.

If only it could be made into a webM…

Your spoiler is only in your head, as I recall it was some sort of Sephiroth imitation that killed Shinra and released Jenova.

You are correct. That immitation was Cloud. We see Sephiroth "appear" through either Jenova or his 'clones,' of which Cloud is an incomplete one. Cloud's cell door is mysteriously left open after all this occurs.

Or are we to believe there is a person infected with Jenova cells closer than Cloud, who was right down the damn hall, on the same floor as Jenova?

I could but that would require re encoding not just downloading

Isn't this something Sephiroth said just to ruse Cloud, ie he's not actually an incomplete Sephiroth clone?

Sephiroth Clone just means a person injected with Jenova cells and irradiated with Mako. Cloud never got the full treatment because Zack busted him out of the lab in Nibelheim before it was completed. That's also why Cloud was an erratic, lying spaz for the first two discs, because he was half-mind controlled and sometimes fully mind-controlled.

This is also why Cloud doesn't have a # tattoo.

These guy are sick.

The lying part can be explained by him being a sad fuck. You as a player pretend to be a hero that pretends to be a hero and becomes crazy upon realizing it.

Who opened Cloud's door then, and why? We see Cloud get mind controlled by Jenova/Sephiroth three other major times. First at the Temple of the Ancients, second right before Aerith dies, and last in the Crater when he hands over the Black Materia for the second time. It was Cloud.

Zack dies and then like a day and a half passes before Tifa finds him in Sector 7's train station. He was a pawn the entire time, drawn to Jenova and Sephiroth until he reintegrates his personality after Mideel. I just played the game last week, so it is still fresh in my mind.

Yeah I played it 6 years ago

Wasn't President Shinra's murder witnessed by somebody? Somebody who said it was Sephiroth?

From what I remember (I think I played the game last year), although Sephiroth can take control of Cloud's mind, he's still Cloud. He can't change his shape. If it was Cloud then whoever it was who saw the murder would have seen Cloud, not Sephiroth.

The PC ports were shit

And we see Sephiroth appear through other people multiple times. When he appears on the Cargo Ship, that's a part of Jenova. When he appears in the temple of the ancients, that's a shroud guy. Sephiroth never leaves the Northern Crater, he is a encased in a materia since before the game even begins.

no they werent except 7 because I think they censored swearing

They did eventually end up being possibly the best method to play the game after community modifications.

He can make other people or things look like him, as he essentially a Summon.

That's all the versions of 7 before the re-translation.

Why? Quantify it. You lose automatically the moment you mention some untrue meme about the game, such as "emo" Squall or "plot holes" caused by player's being too lazy to visit important locations/characters.

ebin

Kill yourself

Except you're wrong. The game was such a critical (though not sales) failure that they had to completely go back to basics for the next installment.

Didn't the VII port have shit MIDI compression? That carried over to the Steam version?

Do you have a source on that being the reason for FF9 being closer to the mechanics of the older entries?

I'm not saying it was the actual Sephiroth who did the murder. I'm saying whoever saw the murder saw Sephiroth. Sephiroth demonstrated ability to control Cloud's mind but he couldn't morph Cloud himself, to look like him. If Cloud actually did the murder, the witness would have seen Cloud, not Sephiroth.

Beatrix is best FF waifu.

First, he actually can and does. We see Sephiroth do this to other clones, ON SCREEN, multiple times.

I have also heard this before, but couldn't find a source. Would you mind spoonfeeding me user?

She is ok I guess.

Nice historical revisionism there faggot. FFVIII wasn't considered a "failure" by anyone until it became a meme to hate it. There were faggots, such as yourself, who cried about the series itself not being like it was, but if you think that legitimately caused FFIX you are retarded. FFs spend years in development. FFVII started development before FFVI was even out the door, as an example. FFIX was in the works long before FFVIII hit shelves.

And as for FFIX's claim to being a "return to the series roots" that was nothing but Square marketing. The game has as much trappings as most of the series, but it is nothing like the earlier games. It's also probably the most boring mainline entry before the cancer set in. The music especially is some of Nobuo's worst work.

Go on and prove that negative faggot. The game was and is widely unpopular. You thrashing against facts will not change the world.

7 had convoluted as fuck controls but you can rebind them.

Name one time we've seen him do this to Cloud personally

Confirmed to never have played 4, 5 or 6.

Wasn't it constantly voted as the Final Fantasy most people wanted a remaster of in Japan?

Do you even know what a proving a negative means? The claim that it was always unpopular (despite having great sales) needs to be substantiated. FFIX on the other hand barely broke 2million units, and was unpopular.

I'm not saying FFVIII wasn't ever hated, I told you what faggot groups hated it at the time. It being "universally considered unpopular" was a meme that largely started with Spoony and other shit reviewers that pretended it was nothing but teen emo shit.

My personal favorite is IV faggot.

FFIX was already in development before FFVIII was even finished. However, the dev team did mention taking into account 'fan feedback' when developing FFIX

archive.is/5ZA8D#selection-1261.0-1263.243

That's not a thing, although you are on the right track. kek
The answer's a little more complicated than that, but basically Squaresoft developed an in house format vaguely similar to MIDI but with some added benefits, like 32 channels and some programming-like operations. The original PC port had shitty MIDI versions of the songs that tossed some instruments and lacked critical control data.
This is also why epsxe could not properly play music for several Square games for years.

Why the hell is the D capitalized in SeeD, anyway? I always felt something had to have been lost in the translation of this game. The characters are just so unlikable and their motivations weak. I still vividly remember the utter disdain I had upon first listening to "Eyes on Me", even all these years later.

See my D

Why?

All this talk about the story makes me want to go read a summary somewhere

Final Fantasy wiki says the Japanese name was Shido or something like that, but I have no idea what that means. It's probably some double meaning or pun. SeeD was probably just an attempt to try and translate whatever the pun was.

It's just how you'd write 'seed' in Japanese

Shiido is just how a Jap would pronounce SeeD. It's written as SeeD even in the Japanese version of the game.

Because it was the late 90s and you have to be XTREME.

found an example

Blitzball spheres' water is so hyper-oxygenated it can be breathed for a game's duration, actual water bodies are the real mystery since Wakka, Tidus and Rikku function just fine in non-blitz water. Chances are the answer would be they're holding their breath or Yuna or Lulu are oxygenating the water magically or something.

I don't know whether to feel embarrassment or disappointment.

So is the english translation to ff8 accurate or is all the hot dogs and emoness done by proto-sjws?

Hot dogs are bread in the Japanese version.

I just have a feeling that either all the designers of FF8 were on some shitty drugs at the time or it's some kind of Japanese cultural/political analogy/reference that I lack context for. Although more likely it was that or they wanted to make a plot so obtuse that people would fill in the gaps themselves and grant it undue depth.

In WoFF there is a quest where you go underwater with Tidus after that FF11 midget girl cats a water breathing spell on the party, but not Tidus. He comes with them and they ask Titus about it and he says "Oh, I can play blitzball really well" and one of the character responds with something like "You're an idiot, answer the question."

The scenario writer had just fallen in love and wrote it in a fever pitch about the woman in question.

Jesus fuck…

any specific type of bread or just generic pan. I can see Zell being into yakisoba bread for some reason.

Ah Love, the shittiest drug of all.

I don't remember, probably something more like yakisoba pan since it's always sold out.

Final Fantasy in general loves leaving vague details about that, I remember some trading card or something declaring once and for all that Anima is Seymour's final aeon since no other summoner has the thing and it's the most rawly powerful one you can get.

That's directly stated in the game. The only person who can make modern Aeons is Yunalesca, and the only difference between a Final Aeon and normal one is that summoner of the normal aeon failed.

that explains why Squall rejected best girl

I dunno. Girls with whips…..

Zell?

see pics

no no chicken wuss

>junctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctioninjunctionin
THE END.

I'm not saying she isn't pretty (at least, her CG model and official artwork is. The less said about her in game model the better). But, the whips…

squall i'm dying

(whatever…)

samefag

Getting pegged is still gay user

what is this numale faggotry

It's heavily implied but not actually stated by FFX anywhere to be the case that Anima is Seymour's final aeon. Difference between a final aeon and a normal one is a final aeon is intended to take on Sin and so comes from an (apparently) very powerful fayth, though how Yunalesca grants that kind of potential is a total mystery, though there's Bahamut's fayth who's just a kid.

Isn't Anima confirmed to be Seymour's mother?

Yeah, Anima's fayth is Seymour's mother.

pretty sure that was the case
you can get it I believe if you go back to the starting water area

You see Seymour and his Mother in Zanarkand on your way to meet Yunalesca. How does that not confirm Anima as his final aeon?

I found the characters generally unlikable (even after learning about each of their backstories, I don't think I liked a single one). I didn't like the artstyle from the first "mission" on. I didn't like the card minigame or the junction system very much. I felt the story was incredibly by-the-books, with surface-level "crazy" shit thrown in. I found the world it took place in unexciting and devoid of internal logic.

Literally the only thing I liked about it was the music, and that's a given because uematsu.

I think spoony is a huge fucking faggot, has always been one, and I've never once bothered to watch any of his shit. I'm also not really an FF fan, so my dislike of 8 isn't because I'm a 6/7/9 fanboy.

Just because people dislike your favourite game doesn't mean they're all thinking the same thing in the same way. Have you been angry about this, holding this resentment towards people, for a fucking decade?

I found her in-game model actually cute, since you can mentally fill in the more blurry bits, and I tend to like low-poly models anyway (when animated and textured properly and sharply).
I fucking hate the look of all the FF8 characters in cutscenes, though.

Oh, almost forgot one of my biggest issues with the game:
It has the worst pacing of any fucking game I've ever played. In an RPG, that's a pretty big problem. This is actually probably the main reason I dislike it, since I do like a few games that have many similar problems to FF8 minus shite pacing.

Confirmed shit taste

It's possible. I also kind of disliked the card game in FF9, too.
Actually, I can't think of a card-based minigame from an RPG I was fine with.

She's some kind of monster, I tell ya hwhat.

That was bullshit. There's only one type of Aeon.

What a retarded complaint. What exactly changed about the art style between the opening and the first mission?

Probably because you suck at it.

Why did you bother with the rest of your horseshit when you were going to be this obvious that you never even played the game for more than an hour? FFVIII is anything but conventional.

Projecting. I call out retarded faggots in their circlejerk. I don't bother being mad at any of you for long.

The art style, especially in environments, is extremely inconsistent. There's random magical high tech shit, but then five minutes walk away it is the modern day, and nobody questions it or contextualizes it in any way, and it only gets worse once you get to Fisherman's and then Esthar. Things just happen. The game isn't as coherent as FF4, for christ's sake, and that was about an evil moon bunny.

Well FF8 has the classic "ancient advanced civilization" in it, the Centra. Some more advanced stuff like the Garden was built by them.

BOOYA!

The Centra actually weren't ancient, they were wiped out 100 years before the game.

Those are some nice digits there, too user.

Junction system is better than most systems used in other FFs but weebs can't see past it because

Those two groups comprised virtually everyone who played FF8 at launch with whom you could have an informed conversation about the game. You aren't wrong about their negative perceptions of 8, but you are incorrect in attributing FF8's poor reputation to some faggot's videos long after the fact. The only people he influenced were those too young to have played it in 1999 i.e., most of Holla Forums

You're an odd person. Most people I know would be exactly the opposite

I played it at release, here is how my experience differs from mos

I did not have a playstation but wanted to play it badly so I got it for PC but my card was not good enough so my dad got me a VOODOO 3 card
The game always crashed right after the landing so I ended up fucking around on the startign island for days learning autisticly specific mechanics I still ahve memorized today liek how bite bugs only give 1 fucking AP while sand fish at the beach give 3 and T-rexar give 10
I learned that last part because I would get to lvl 30 or higher just on the starting island
I also learned that you could get doom from shiva once you leveled her in the right ways and the counter for DOOM was random ONLY THE FIRST TIME for some reason so I would do runs ONLY TO GET DOOM with a counter below 10 seconds which was fast enough to ice an T-rexar without getting hit once
Literally delete and restart a run if Doom was over 10 seconds and then grind shiva up again so I could get AP even faster and get card for Quetzalcoatl and all the cool shit you could get with the startign GFs
I also never returned to the Garden after getting Ifrit so I could keep Quistis in my party while I did this grinding and rested at Balamb using the money I got from selling monster loot
Later I got the PS1 version when I realized I could not play it with my PC no matter what and then months went buy with my first area autism and my family surprised me with a PS1
We were poor as fuck too

Also FF8 was my first non demo Final Fantasy game and I wasn't even a teenager, I was 12 year old no friend pariah who Identified with Squall and his loner ways

Wrong, faggot. I wasn't saying people who played FFVI or FFVII, I was among those people. I was saying FFVI fags and FFVII fags that treat both games like the pinnacle of the series. FFVI fans shit on both VII and VIII and largely have never even touched VIII with any other intention than to shit on it, because it is popular to do so. FFVII fags were butthurt that FFVIII was so different from their game, and largely better.

FFVIII is popular to hate because inbetween fanboy idols. Even FFIX mostly owes its fans to butthurt FFVI fans desperate for anything "like the old days" even if it isn't even close.

FFVIII is an underappreciated masterpiece that suffers from not being babby's first Final Fantasy.

I find this believable

Woah man, let's not jump the shark here.

also true

I played through FF8 6 times on 5 different platforms since it came out. Ask me anything.

Do you like it?

I love it
It's my second favorite game

why do you love it user?

It's horribly mediocre m8.
Junction seems nice on paper but being so exploitable made the game retardedly easy. I've played the game with nothing but STR and HP junctioned and it was still a joke. Christ you can beat the game without leveling once. The story takes a nosedive as soon as disc 2 starts. It's not higher than a 5/10.

Man I've been on a Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior kick after finishing DQ Builders and World of Final Fantasy (both decent games tbh). I've been going back and replaying old JRPG's sequentially and its amazing how much more fun the old NES and SNES JPRG's where.

I can't, all I can say is it was the last FF game I actually liked. But then again I actually like the aesthetics, Squall & Rinoa romance, and don't see the mechanics as being so revolutionary that its a noticeable drawback. so take my opinion with a grain of sail. However the whole plot line of Time Compression is convoluted as fuck and it honestly barely makes sense even after finishing the game. I wonder if anyone made a autistic flowchart to explain what is going on exactly. Then again their is a theory that Squall is dead and his spirit is just imagining this outcome before he heads to the afterlife.

I feel the same way about FF9. But the number one reason I can't into FF9 is the 11-15 second load times before every battle.

It's just a good time all the way through, characters are over the top and memorable, the world is incredibly well done, the story is mindfucky and full of twists.

It's just fun

untrue
also your complaint boils down to it being "potentially" too easy
magic is maybe less viable because junction makes attack easy to boost
you don't like some characters
and the plot was moderate

Junction is fine fam, more options even if most people just gostraight STR junction
so?

and let me remind you that some faggots found it "too hard" because they were too stupid to do anything but draw for magic, complaining about the mechanics being too easy is a joke user

not bad user, I like how you describe the setting and not the mechanics, we need more of that

Mechanics are standard turn based RPG.
It's not different than any of the other Final Fantasies.

well, I don't totally agree with how you put that but you are not wrong

Everyone has their favorite. Almost no one names VIII being in their top three. It doesn't take a slide rule to figure out that it isn't popular, and my point was that that lack of popularity has nothing to do with some video reviewer, as you claimed. It's not bandwagon-hopping, the game is deeply flawed in numerous ways, whether you compare it to its predecessors or other JRPGs of its time. The optimal way to play is to refine cards for spells, junction magic to stats, get just enough AP for Encounter-None, walk unchallenged through the entire game from cutscene to cutscene, and mash to select Attack every turn on the fights you can't avoid. And the story is unfocused shit that meanders all over the place, particularly after disc 1, so it's hard to point to any redeeming qualities.

It's not just that magic is less viable, you make yourself less effective every single time you choose to use it. And part of the punishment is drawing more magic from somewhere to replenish your stock, which should be avoided at all costs because it's the most tedious thing imaginable.

All that said, I enjoyed the game in spite of its flaws and I give it credit for experimenting in a lot of different ways. It had some good characters, just not any of the ones you're stuck playing with for the entire game.

The best magics that you use for junction aren't the ones that you end up using the most for doing damage.
Play the game more.

who?

only if it's a junctioned magic user

Holy fuck don't tell me you're one of the retards that actually draws all of his magic?

If you can play FF1 or FF2 and appreciate the "mechanics" despite both games being buggy as fuck then you can enjoy FF9's "mechanics". If you actually want to play a good FF game in terms of mechanics then play FF5 or FF6 (or a Japaneses translation of FF4). However Dragon Quest games where always superior but traditional, where FF (even the first game with its time loop paradox) was always trying to be edgy push the envelope of the jrpg genera and ff games have always been broken as fuck. In terms of changeling Megami Tensei are the best, but their plots suck. In terms of core mechanics DQ was the best, in terms of being edgy and avant-garde ff was always on the cutting edge.

I was just saying that it's not as simple as being turn based user

Triple Triad is more fun than the rest of the game.

youtube.com/watch?v=IZJB-ylRWiI

That Feel When no GF to equip before battle.

I'll give you Selphie, since her limit break relies too much on luck even though she is the only one who can one shot all bosses, but Rinoa and Quistis are some of the best party members.

I remember raping every end game boss with rinoa's limit break and meteors

Nobody takes the FF8 Defense Force seriously.

But you can take this cap! Healing spells go into HP, not Fire, dumbass. Seifer wouldn't make fun of you if you got gud at Junctioning

I'm telling you guys, (You)posters are spies that forced this shitty meme just to stop all discussion and argument. All in favor of IP banning on sight?

You just murdered the guy, user!

What are your favorite Guardian Forces?
What's your preferred party setup? Go as in-depth as you want.
Do you stick to official names or make your own names for everyone?
If the latter, what names do you pick?

Can't Quistis 1 hit KO every non-boss, non-undead enemy in the game?

Yes she can but even without that, blue mages are god tier.

you didnt have to
Spoony is the biggest reason the FF8=garbage meme is so prolific on imageboards
I don't care how true it is, at least give reasons so as to not come across as a fucking parrot regurgitating dead memes you were not around for when they were born.

PEOPLE
JUST
DON'T
THE
GAME

did you not read the rest of my post before getting triggered?

not in ff9

Quistis was a blue mage?

what are you a gay?

Top pleb.

I have a soft spot for Shiva because nostalgia and I used to fap to her when I was a kid.
But Odin is by far the best for pretty much everything else, especially the area where you get him.
Also Diabolos just because of the edge factor.

I don't really do any particular setups. Usually Squall ends up being the character with the best stats all around while Zell is the one that stays at low health and can trigger his special ability over and over to do lots of damage to bosses.

The first time I played I mistakenly named Rinoa to Arix. So it stayed Arix since then.

her limit break was blue magic
her best move did 5 digit damage instead of the usual 4 cap

arix is a better name anyway fam

How did you do that accidentally?

There are people in this thread who don't spend like 10 minutes per GF trying to think of a clever/memetastic name.
You haven't played FFVIII until you rename Brothers to some Hulk Hogan reference.

I honestly don't remember

I used to rename ever character in FF games but it was a combination of no caring about FF anymore and being completely confused when talking to others on forums that I started using the canonical names.

You can't junction without first equipping your GF.

my dick can't function without first equipping your GF.

Selphie is a gift from the gods simply by the fact that in such a depressing world it's nice to have someone with that much positive energy. I'd join her garden festival committee, if you know what I mean.

Hildabrand quests are not that good. Sorry you had to find out this way. Just watch some anime or Japanese TBS sitcom if you want comedy of that caliber.

selphie is a girly girl with no drive of her own except funsies

FF8, the game you can win in the first 3 hours or so by playing the card minigame. You can have several ultimate weapons on the first disc just through cards.

My 'tism always gets the best of me when I try to play 8; I end up drawing 100 of everything for every party member. And I cardgame the fuck out of it early on. I'm quite sure 8 is the most easily breakable FF. Later on there is a spell "Aura" that lets you use limits whenever, and items that make your whole team invincible.

There are some neat ideas in there though. Junction zombie to status attack, holy to element attack…things like that.

CF was right again!

Undeads too. It's pretty much just tonberrys and cactuars that are immune.

So can a phoenix down. :^)

I don't even junction the item command

I'll admit i was maybe a lot more stupid when i played it and might have fucked up but can someone answer me this: Why would you use normal attacks or magic in battle while gf don't cost anything, can be used as shield and do a lot more damage? i didn't even bother upgrading weapon until the last segments of the game, and even then i didn't use them since i could just spam gf all the time.

GFs only do more damage in the beginning. Later on weapons and limit breaks become your main damage dealers.

i'll play it again since i never finished it and see if it's true since i remember dealing around 850 dmg with attacks and around 3000-5000 with GFs

What in the name of god makes fat women think they can cosplay characters that are 1/3 of their weight? In all the cosplay cringe threads I've ever seen, I think I've seen maybe one or two morbidly obese Duke Nukems, but it's always full of 250+ pound Tifas.

You can do 9999 damage per hit with Squall's renzokuken, and his Lionheart finisher hits 17 times. You do the math.

manfaye

I think you need to factor in that men are less photographed at conventions and less reposted and linked as well. But thats for the better anyway.

but it's true, it's bland as fuck
No, that's how it is. It's too easy.
Magic is ALWAYS less viable and slows the game down heavily with long animations.
I like Quistis as a character, her limits are garbage, same with Selphie and Rinoa.
kek

It's shit. I've already explained twice. Too easy to exploit and makes magic useless because why cast thundaga when you can just junction it to attack?

One guy finds it too hard so I'm wrong? Fuck off back 4cuck.

Men are also less likely to cosplay in general

Yeah FFVI faggots because it was the "pinnacle" of the series on the SNES (cause graphics, which is hilarious how hipocritical FFVI faggots are on that.) and for most of them their first entry into the series.

Same for FFVII which was another babby's first RPG.

I do. This is also funny since the overwhelming majority would name FFVII, a game most FFVI fags would say is irredeemable shit. So how much is any of your faggoty opinions worth in the first place?

Because it takes ages to go through the GF animations, which will add hours to your playthrough when you could just cardgame/junction correctly and kill things very quickly with regular attacks.

Isn't FF8 the game that just expects you to run from every single not-boss battle until very fucking late into the game because level ups are useless until then?

I'm betting you think Angel Wings is useless.

5 is the objective best :^)

It's fun to play cards

Level ups are never useless. Enemies drop better items and have better magic at higher levels, GFs can only learn some skills at higher levels, some limit breaks (shockwave pulsar come to mind) require higher levels.

If you want the game to be piss easy you can run from all the battles or get enc-none and just play cards for magic to junction. There is no one way to play FF8.

it's not tho

takes forever and DPS drops off sharp
also timers still run when they are doing their animation which is a bitch is some places like when you need to get EDEN which can do 5 digit damage in one hit but ALSO TAKES FUCKING FOREVER TO FIRE

your words fam

what kind of fucking pleb junctions thundaga to attack

you're shit at the game user

nobody hates 5 fam
5 is good times

My familiarity with Square's games begins and ends with a 30-year-old Famicom Disk game released outside Japan as 3-D Adventures of World Runner.

What is the best starting point of the series for someone like me? Any essentials, Final Fantasy or otherwise, that shouldn't be missed under any circumstances?

FInal Fantasy games are all self contained except for sequels like the FFX and FFXIII games
but as far as starting 5 is a great place to start with SNES emulator

Avoid Final Fantasy altogether.
Play:
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Brave Fencer Musashi
Front Mission 3
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana
The World Ends with You

Quina can deal 9999 dmg with limit glove in the first 20 minutes you get her. Vid related.

stop capping every post you see you maggot

stop acting like that isn't funny you faggot

GODDAMMIT GYAZO THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED

Having broken FFVIII and FFVII to bits again recently, I have to say my biggest complaint with FFVIII now is that it's really sparse on side content. There's not enough to do in the game outside the main story railroading. Sure it's not Fallout-tier bad, but it's still not as meaty as other RPGs even in the same franchise.

Unfortunately then it also makes apparent that slogging through the unskippable expository parts of the game is the genuine busywork. It gets especially awful around Esthar and the space portion is easily the worst part of the game. Also makes it far too easy due to the way level scaling works.

Good list, but you should add Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Bushido Blade, and Live A Live. Damn, the mid- to late-90s were great for Squaresoft, it's fucking criminal that they promoted Final Fantasy over everything else.

but that is clearly meant to be funny. Fat girls do it for the male attention. They are only into comics because low standard NEETs are the best they can get.

Yes and the fat chicks are more photographed because some beta cuck actually is attracted to these heffers.

because good looking women don't cosplay unless its for money and comic fags don't have money. There are desperate low-T beta cucks who actually will compliment and pursue the fat bitches.
(checked)
boring vanilla tier taste in vidya fam.

I said it was the wrong cap, retard.

FF Tactics is overrated as fuck.

sure thing pal

Don't try too hard, newfag.

you seem like you might be projecting again Sholmo.

Your feelings are showing, silly projectionfag.

filtered and reported for spam

I'm in control, newfag. And it's YOUR fault.

decent squaresoft list otherwise

both of you quit it
at this point you're both faggots

Haven't played the first two, but tactics is good I guess.

I was just coming up with shit off the top of my head.

it's a good list user

Essentials for me would be FF4 (any version is great with DS version being the best due to more content but avoid the The After Years games like the plague), FF5, FF9 and FF5, played through SNES translation or through GBA with that sound-fixing patch added. Second-bests are FF7 and FF6 and I had a lot of fun with FFX despite how linear it was, and off in their own little corner due to how heavily separated they are from typical Final Fantasy are the Dissidia games, the only one of which that matters being Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy due to retreading over the first game's content while also including loads of new stuff. Jecht, Kain, Cecil and Gabranth are best characters

Guess it needed reiteration for emphasis since it's easily my favorite of all the games but I didn't mean to do that.

It's like Contra with robots, holy shit get a ROM of it RIGHT NOW.

The After Years was bad? Even if you pirate?

Oh, and my main Firion would fuck you up if there was online play. Fuck Adhoc Party and fuck the PS3.

you're thinking of Metal Warriors and Cybernator
Gun Hazard has more RPG elements and is slower

I haven't played any run and gun games besides Contra, sorry.

Personal opinion:

If you want to get into Final Fantasy, start with 7 or 9, whichever appeals to you more. If you liked it, try 5, then 6, then 4, then whichever of the first two I mentioned you hadn't tried previously. Then X, then try some of the remakes of 1-3. For 4 there are numerous remakes for PS1, PSP, DS and PC.

Somewhere inbetween all that I definitely recommend Final Fantasy: Tactics. I prefer the PS1 version, but the PSP version is good too. It's GBA sequels "Advanced" are also pretty good.

If you're really into the series at this point and like MMOs you could try FF11 or FF14. I enjoyed 'em but it's up to you. Then try 12. Skip X-2.

Try FF8, see if you can get into it, obviously I still haven't been able to. I can't recommend any of the 13 games.

Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, Vagrant Story, and Azure Dreams are all must-plays from the PS1 era, and I recommend Ehrgeiz just for the dungeon mode (the Tobal games have a more rudimentary form of this.)

Chrono Trigger is an SNES game, but it's also on the PS packaged with FF4 as "Final Fantasy Chronicles" and you can follow it up with Chrono Cross, though not everyone liked it.

Super Mario RPG on the SNES is a definite must-play. In fact I'd almost recommend it as a starting point because it's one of their most all around solid games, and nicely bridges between the extremely familiar Super Mario games and their style of RPG.

Secret of Evermore, Xenogears, Front Mission, Parasite Eve, Dragon Quest…

I could keep going, but the most important thing to remember is don't play Kingdom Hearts unless you are a faggot. You can also play it if you're a morbidly obese autistic girl who identifies as a tumblr gender, these are the only people that enjoy KH and I also don't recommend you play if you're afraid you might be a faggot as if you like it, it will confirm it.

Contra is more arcade style with far less customization, mostly preset but you can pick up power ups like missile launchers
Gun Hazard is like 2D armored Core what with the customization but also you can get out of your mech

that is some terrible advice user, starting with 9 and suggesting 5, 6 and 4 in that order to follow it up and recommending anything past 9 at all

otherwise your post seems fair and justified

Well I'd say start with 6, but a lot of people can't get passed the pixel graphics unless they start with one of the 3D games first and then grow to love the series. And of the 3D games, 7 and 9 are the best. I'd almost say start with X just because it's so short. It's the only FF I beat in two days without a guide (of course, I missed the last three aeons…) but the sphere grid would be a bad place for a newbie to start off. I didn't hate X, I liked a lot of the cast.

FF15 gives me a lot of FF8 feels.
Then again it might just be the overworld song from FF8 playing while I drive around in a car, the first FF having that being 8.

PPSSPP, you should be able to drag-and-drop save data if you've got your PSP set up right

These are some great recommendations. I don't know which one of you said it, but I appreciate the reminder to give fan translations a shot for some of the 8/16-bit games in lieu of the PlayStation conversions, that's something that never occurred to me.

I might give that a try someday if Disney really starts to leverage corporate synergy and create an ESPN Wide World of Sports realm with sages like Lee Corso and Dick Vitale

don't play kingdom hearts till you play FF7 through X