What is the best Metroid level, and why is it Sanctuary Fortress?

What is the best Metroid level, and why is it Sanctuary Fortress?

youtube.com/watch?v=X515nglsa9k

That may be true but those orbs with the shield blocks are a pain in the damn ass.

Dark Beam -> Missile breaks anything that can be frozen. Even dark troopers.

I always used to petrify them then use the charged light burst, but your plan makes more sense.

That fucking music, man.

If they made a whole game like Sanctuary Fortress it would be fine, that level has no business being next to Torvus and Agon

it's not even from a metroid game.
prime series is shit and not metroid.
Pyrosphere on the other hand, it's great for MANY reasons. And i'll only list one, the part where Adam authorizes the Varia feature.
Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna meet my wife's boyfriend for the first time.

Phazon Mines was better, especially the gauntlet you have to go through your first time through. Ingsmashers were a better miniboss than the Elite Pirates, though.

I think the original intention was for the fortress to have been the marines crashed ship. It's pretty similar to some of the interiors of the GFS Olympus and Valhall in 3, and also similar to the Norion base.

Instead, the marines get this tiny ship, but somehow manage to build a huge base out of spare parts. The marine ship is right outside the Sancturary too. I think the intention might have been for a bigger presence for the Federation in that game, maybe.

Anyone know of any dev interview for this game?

It's the second or third best Metroid game in the series, nigger.

Speaking of 3, I wouldn't have minded at all if Elysia had been on Aether, it fits the Luminoth technology pretty well. It would have meant 3 losing the only good level it has, though.

All the levels in MP2 dragged on too long other than Temple Grounds and Agon Wastes.

Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress are both inviting at first, cool as fuck, and have chill ass music…but the tedium sets in after awhile.

I also think MP1's Chozo Ruins beat it.

No, it fucking isn't. None of the 3d Metroid games are good.

The Pirate Frigate. Best intro level in perhaps all vidya, and then then the sunken frigate was awesome.

Correct.
Prime 1.

Ahhhh, you almost got me you cheeky bastard!

Does a city have any business being next to a forest? Planets possessing only a single type of environment is the stupidest sci-fi trope ever devised. Especially when one of those environments is manmade, in that case how could it possibly be congruent with the rest of the planet?

Or maybe you meant that the short elevator ride Samus takes to travel between them doesn't make any sense.

I can look out from Sanctuary Fortress and see a huge, huge skybox full of live city lights that make absolutely no sense and can't be seen from directly adjacent areas, and I already mentioned I think the technology doesn't look like the rest of the Luminoth technology in the game at all. Tallon IV had a big variety of environments and still didn't run into this problem, all of the tech you see is totally consistent with who put it there and when they put it there.

You can emulate them, you know. Try them, they're fun

Obviously Phendrana Drifts.

what if the elevator takes you to the other side of the planet

Probably not

I think they listened to the Super Metroid soundtrack and then listened to a shitload of Aphex Twin

You know, the map doesn't necessarily have to be a literal representation of how everything is located related to each other, especially when there's no way to travel between areas besides elevator rides of indeterminate length that we only see the beginning, a little bit of the middle, and end of.

Technology advances, you know. Sanctuary Fortress is supposed to be the center for the absolute latest tech the Luminoth were developing. While every other area consists of mostly old tech that's kept around because it still works, the fortress was on the forefront of technological advancement, at least until the meteor crash.

Most Prime tracks are orchestral/synth rearrangements of Super Metroid soundtracks. I think they're basically an early example of video game rearrangments. They get technoish at time.

Prime also has those "radiation music" leitmotifs which I think is unique to the trilogy.

It's kind of a prog-rock/electronic soundtrack. To me it sounds like some kind of early synth album from the 1970s. Vid related.

The Iwata Asks for Prime 3 (only in Japanese) which had info about 2's development. Which had a rough dev schedule.

http ://www .metroid-database.com/mp3/Iwata_Asks_Metroid_Prime_3_index.php

Tanabe
During the development of Metroid Prime 2, there was a period when we were a bit behind schedule. Three months before the deadline, I asked the staff about how far along the game was, and they told me that it was "thirty percent ready." My face went ghastly pale. (Strained laugh) I had been told from [Nintendo] headquarters that "The game must be ready for the sales war this Christmas season. It can't be delayed." So there really was no other option for me but to confine myself in Texas to work with them!

I think the reason for this is because Retro wanted to make a "bigger, harder, more intimidating Prime game" (for the Prime veterans) and this resulted in bigger areas with more rooms taking longer to go through (especially when backtracking) and without any feature/upgrade to speed this up (like a teleporter?). An aspect of the "more intimidating" part seems to have inspired the Dark World and it's atmosphere draining the players health. Which I heard some players stopped at once they got to it.