After 25 years I finally gave Mega Man a try, let me share with you a blog post:

after 25 years I finally gave Mega Man a try, let me share with you a blog post:

>hype, fun, and laughter

On the ride home it dawned on me… Mega Man is a great fucking game. The soundtrack, level designs, art direction, gameplay, it's all great.

I plan on picking up the Legacy Collection tomorrow for the 3DS and playing through them all, but in the mean time can we get a Mega Man thread going? Also, are there any other particularly good games in the Mega Man series I should play?

So this is your newest tactic? Using proxies to take down video game threads in order to protect 4am threads.

Sage for offtopic, sorry OP

It's all good, guess I picked a bad time to post this.

I'm just really happy with how good these games are and wanted to share it a bit, and I never even planned on playing them. Feels like a found a treasure completely by chance.

Seven was okay. I personally think it was the tits, but that's probably the nostalgia talking.
If you really liked three, I'd suggest two, however. Two had some of the best fucking stage themes in the series and it's the better of the two games before they gave you the to do that dumb slide.

I appologize, OP. It's been a long night.

Can't wait to get to it, and I suppose I'll just emulate 7 and 8 when I get there.

Are 9 and 10 alright? Seems like they were made in that time period where Capcom was still okay.

My favourite MM games in order are MM2, MMX, MM3. Start with those. MM2 and straight on to MMX is fine as well. The X games do turn in to just awful shit once they hit Playstation though.

9 and 10 are good. 9 is better. 9 is when Capcom had a good idea to make a throwback game on a whim and made some mad dollars and cred with what was a minimal effort but maximum love game (the developers for 9 at Inticreates included some of the original Mega Man team). 10 was typical Capcom milking an already good thing without adding anything to it.

I actually haven't had the opportunity to sit down and play 9 and 10, as I have been way too broke to get a console since before they came out.

Fuck me. Have a bump before I go to bed.

Any downhill slide will look like you're heading down Mount Olympus when you've got that far to fall, friendo.

Megaman X, X2, and X3 are superior in every way: game mechanics, graphics, and music.

They're better than any of the classics, but I'd say all the classics are better than anything X4 and beyond.

I'm also one of the 3 people on the planet who liked Megaman Legends, so there's that.

Gotcha, I'll get them as well.

The funny thing is, X4 was my introduction to the series. Only other games I've played are Mega Man Command Mission, and Mega Man Zero.

For some weird reason I could never get into the original series, but for whatever reason that seems to have changed in a major way.

also, don't be so hard on yourself.

MM4 > MM3 > MM2 > MM9 > MM5 > MM7 > MM > MM6 > MM8 > MM10
THERE NERDS MY OPINIONS ARE FACT SO THERE

Blues was here, Rock is a loser

Roll needs her own X-series style spinoff.

She needs some serious maintenance alright.

Forgot to spoiler, shit.

Play all of the classics, order doesn't really matter, but I would put 8, 1, and 10 near the end of the play order. 2, 3, 4, at the front.

For me the classic series is where it's at OP. I don't really like the ones with sliding but they're fun too and you can usually get through most of them without sliding at all if you want the extra challenge.

Give MM9 a try, MM10 is worth playing too but I'm not a fan of the weapon switching. It's optional unless you're going for time attack high scores in which case you must use it (timer no longer stops when you pause).

Wii is the preferred platform for those, the weapon switching is mapped to the back/select button on the Xbox 360 with no way to re-configure it. On the Wii it's mapped to the start button as it should be. Also if you play the Wii version I suggest using the classic controller.

Seems like not a lot of people like 1 or put it to high on the list. I was planning on playing them in order, but maybe I should start with 2 and go from there?

Classic is okay.
X2 and X3 is good too
MMBN 2 3 and 6 are RPGs set in an internet future and have a cool battle system
MMZ series is tough and satisfying to play

It's the best version of MM1 with playable bosses.

Almost any game is enjoyable in a casual play with a group of friends. I that is what you liked mostly

Maybe, though usually the games I play with friends I don't really care to play alone. Shadow of the Collossus and Dragon's Crown are good examples of this. Love to play them with friends, don't really care to play them by myself, though sometimes I do. I wanted to play more Mega Man the moment I got home but figured I'd just by the collection tomorrow(well, today) than emulate it.

I still haven't played either Mega Man or Sonic purely because their fanbases are 110% distilled concentrated autism. Something about the color blue does it to them.

The reason I and others put 1 low on the list isn't because it's a bad game, but for other reasons. It was more difficult, the jumping wasn't as tight, and it has one boss that you have to use a glitch to beat. In Mega Man 2 they pretty much fixed everything, so people suggest starting with 2, 3, or 4 so their experience isn't soured by the unpolished first game.

I'd say there are much worse fandoms. Hell, Sonic fans at their conventions look tame and normal compared to Steven Universe or Undertale cultists.

Gotcha, I'll definitely start with two then. I appreciate the heads up.

What kind of turbo casual are you if you can't beat the yellow devil without using the pause glitch? Granted, it was a pain the ass but you only have to memorize its patterns.

Dawwww

fucking off yourself

I love X5, but pic related is just fucking ridiculous even for a Mega Man game.

So is the whole Cataclysm theory.

X > Classic

MMX2 is the pinnacle of the entire franchise

Yeah it took me a long time before I was able to beat it without the glitch. That part of the game can and has turned others off the series when they play it first because they feel the need to use it. Which is why I recommended MM2 first for the OP.

I hated the enemy designs for the X series. Why were they all Something-Animal?

Never played that one either. It's nice having an entire series of good games to play in a time where there are practically none.

Is the GBC or SNES version better for that one?

You mean Megaman?

Megaman autism is fairly tame compared to games like undertale/minecraft.

Be sure to play the Zero games at some point. They are much harder than the rest of the series.

Mega Man 2 is great and all, but 3 is much better. Including the music.

Xtreme games are different than X

Got it

Shame they don't have an X collection for the DS/3DS.

I was just thinking that. Feminists have destroyed any chance we will have of getting good female characters for at least a 2 decades.

Exactly. We need a hold on female protagonists for at least five years till we get the cancer out. Currently they are all just used to fuel feminism.

20XX is pretty awesome too. It's one of the only games out on Steam Early access I can wholeheartedly recommend. It's mega man x with random levels permadeath and local 2 player coop. I can not stress how much fun the coop is. It's FUCKING magical.

Despite having the consoles I completely missed out on megaman growing up apart from having X-treme 2 for gamebabby.

I played through most of the series for the very first time a few years ago and enjoyed them quite a bit.

I was prompted to by first getting into megaman 8 bit deathmatch: justified classes, a multiplayer doom overhaul that lets you play as the robot masters.

Kei a shit.

ur a shit

(checked)
I like this post.

MML fan 2 out of 3 reporting in. The only thing that really held the series back is the awkward tank controls.

Is the amiibo content in the legacy collection worth buying one?

I'm basically the exact opposite of you OP, the Mega Man series is the one I was autistic about as a kid. The designs, the sound effects, the light bit of strategy. The game simply letting you pick where to start was so huge at the time.

I started out playing Mega Man 2 at a friend's house, then I constantly rented 1-5 and played through them through much of my childhood. Mega Man 6 I wanted so bad I actually saved up and bought. Despite having an SNES, I never got ahold of Mega Man 7 when it first came out, but Mega Man 8 is actually the reason I got a Playstation, and I obsessively played through the X games.

Mega Man X is great until X7.

Opinions vary, but I loved the first 8 Mega Man games. I haven't played the two new ones.

Mega Man Legends, Mega Man Legends 2 and Tron Bonne are fantastic and definite must-play games.

Even Mega Man Card Battles is surprisingly good.

I never got into Mega Man Zero.

You mean Battle Network or Star Force?
What are you waiting for?
They're as good or better than the X series, also ZX.

Played any of the fan games?

I love the limelight games and powered up.

Yeah, that. My bad. It's been a while since I played it.

Loved the first one and played through it and quite a bit of the second, then it kind of started to feel samey and I didn't really pick up the ones that followed. I really loved the game's mechanics. Jacking into any object and sending MM through a virtual world.

Something about it just never appealed to me, I've tried playing them a couple times. I liked playing as Zero in the X games, but not so much in his own series.

I have one downloaded sitting on an external hard drive, but I don't even recall the name of it.

I have Powered Up, mostly I just thought it was cute.

Powered up was great, megaman is a the least interesting character in any of his own games.

Try out unlimited, it was pretty nice.

Powered Up isn't a fan game tho

pull yourself together old girl

Im into gay furshit but even I can acknowledge the beauty of robo loli Roll

No no no no no no no, don't do that. Legacy Collection's emulation is absolutely horrid; if you really are going to buy it, buy all the Virtual Console games separately. The hi-def promotional material that it comes with doesn't make it worth it.

As for what you should play, honestly you should give all of 'em you can a try. The Game Boy black-and-white games are pretty decent and reach NES quality with Mega Man III and beyond, Mega Man & Bass on GBA is better played translated on SNES, every Mega Man X game except for 5 and 7 are worth a go through, Mega Man Zero series is pretty good all around and tightens up the controls of the X series, ZX continues what Zero left off with and gives you a chance to play as Fefnir/Leviathan/Harpuia/Phantom in a roundabout way. Legends may or may not be your cup of tea, Battle Network is absolutely fantastic bar one or two games, Star Force your mileage may vary since it's a dumbed down BN.

Also the comics by Archie are great and worth a read, shame it's on indefinite hiatus.

Roll can bring anyone together.

Dr. Cain's probably into bestiality or something but the way the story goes those Reploids are highly customized towards particular tasks which their animalistic shapes generally help them achieve. That high customization also makes them far far more likely to go Maverick due sheerly to hardware failure due to such intense deviations from X's design while still using the same software, so for almost all of them that you fight in the X series (besides ones out and out stated to not be Maverick like most of Repliforce in X4 or the Red Alert mercenaries in X7) their going Maverick would be a foregone conclusion if Sigma hadn't sped up things a great deal.

All emulation is horrible.

If those faggots want to bring back these old games the least they could fucking do is streamline them a little better to get rid of the fucking lag when more than 3 objects are on the screen at once that happened on the original hardware.

They emulate original hardware not improve it

I don't notice any such thing on the Virtual Console releases which is why I brought it up.

I know

i fucking swear

Wew lad

Do you hate 7 or something?

Not nearly as much as 8 but it certainly pales in comparison to X1-3

His opinion is shit but so is yours, 7 is fucking great, faggot.

Complete Works series has some pretty neat remixes

You could get the X collection on PS2, it's pretty cheap. If you got a PS2 to play it on, of course.

I got paid big bucks for a huge article on the Legends series I made as a passion project.

I envy you OP, getting to play the whole series from the start

actually I might start doing that. just go from the classic megaman 1 all the way to zx advent

That was the point I was trying to get at, they SHOULD be improving it.

I haven't played those but none of the emulated megamen i've played have been free of that shit.

You gotta play X. It's oodles of fun

Check out The Wily Wars for Sega Genesis! It's the first 3 Mega Man games in 16-bit with a bonus game at the end.

Shit, "bonus game" is kinda understating it when it's almost entirely a mix-and-match Mega Man game on its own, getting to pick from any of the first three's RM weapons and support items to take with you.

Anyone know if the animated MMZ commercials were ever uploaded in a better quality?

See
I'll definitely check out the comics though. I remember our Holla Forums saying they were really good.

How's that emulate on PCSX2? I know the psx games have issues on certain emulators.

It's a pretty nice feeling, especially when you thought you found all the old vidya you liked and have established favorites.

That looks awesome, tracking it down now and I'll give it a play once I beat the classics! Going on to 2 now.

I actually storytimed the entire run of Mega Man comics on here once. Or it might have been on Holla Forums, I forget… But I remember everyone absolutely loving them.

I'm about to go to sleep, but if you'd like I could storytime them in this thread tomorrow if it's still up.

Sure, post an issue or two and see how it goes

X4 was pretty below the frst 3 Xs

Exception for female characters primed to just piss the cunts off. If a dev wants to get downright chauvinistic just to get those free publicity posts on shit news sites, more power to'em.

nah ur a cunt

MM8 and MM&Bass were always my favorite classic MM games. I don't know why but the music was really damn good.

Depending on how you look at them and play them the PS X games are either the best games or the worst games the series has to off.
For example X5 is the shittiest game when played normally. However do some self imposed challenges and it truly becomes one of the best.

WARNING ABOUT X COLLECTION ON PS2

ENSURE YOUR TV SUPPORTS 240p OVER COMPONENT

MOST OF THE GAMES RUN IN 240p

IF YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT 240p, ADVISE USING COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLES

Oh, and it uses the PS1 version of X3, meaning the music sucks a bag of dicks.

Doesn't it also have some really shitty cutscenes

do tell

Who really cares, X3's music was vastly overshadowed by X1 and X2 anyways

I couldn't make it past the shitty Bossa Nova rendition of the intro stage to verify.

Unarmored X only
On Xtreme
and buster only

The game's bosses start really shining under those conditions(besides Zero/X and Dark Necrobat because they're the shittiest bosses in existence.). Volt Kraken and the final two Sigma bosses in particular are god tier bosses under these conditions.

And for once you actually have to dodge projectiles because you don't have the OP lingering plasma shot that destroys all projectiles in a small lightyear radius.

Oh and the duff mcwhalen mini boss(that huge green sub thing) is also a god tier mini boss under these conditions.

Yeah, I really do need to go through and play all the games again for the thrill of it. I got so good at playing the first 3 X games that I started to see the moment-to-moment gameplay as just a chore, but it's been years since then

I really wish there was another X game to push my limits that isn't X6. Man if that game was well done it would have been great.

X6 killed hideofbeast

F
I'll never have the balls to try out his no damage runs. Fuck that scarab boss and his bullshit stage

The hardest pill to swallow after all of these years it that videogames have always been shit. Early MM games were shit, you were simply enjoying the time you spent playing vidya with friends like you did when you were a child.

I disagree. MM4 and onwards were really good games. I still don't get the love for 2 or the original but 3 was also alright.
t. Someone who didn't have friends growing up

>>>/out/

I always loved 3 and thought 1 and 2 were pretty solid games. is just a nihilist faggot.
Here's the deal: all things have their flaws, even the very best video games. If you can't learn to love something past its flaws you'll spend your whole life turning your nose up at everything you see

for example: yes, the classic MM games suffered from hitbox issues, slowdown and flickering. No, it didn't end up ruining the experience.

All of the main sidescrolling titles are at the very least okay with the exception of X6 and X7, and the first two Game Boy MMs if you wanna get into those. My personal favorites are 7, 10, X, X4, X8, Zero 4 and ZXA.

The Legends, Battle Network and Star Force series are also worth a look. I won't say more about the latter two as I still have to play more games from them, but I can vouch for both Legends titles being fucking great action/adventure games. Do try them out if you're interested in the genre.

I might care more about mega man if he didn't look so fucking stupid. His design is almost as awful as astro boy.

Good game but a little rough around the edges. It's an early NES game and the first game in its series so it's not that surprising.

Retained the best aspects of the first game while making several improvements. The music is better, too. It still has balance issues, though (Metal Blade, turret boss). The fact that Capcom cannot stop sucking this game's dick gets really annoying later on.

Tried to improve on the second game, but it's not finished and it shows. Wily's Castle is a joke and it has the most technical problems of the NES games (slowdown, sprite flickering).

Definitely more polished than Mega Man 3. But the level designs are more obnoxious in this game and the bosses aren't very good.

The weapons absolutely suck in this one and the whole game just seems bland. But it has the best graphics of the NES games along with 6, and some of the best music too. Better than 4, but not by much.

The only problem with this one is that it's way too easy. Probably the best NES game along with 2.

It's okay. Really don't have much to say about this one, surprisingly.

This one's weird. No more E tanks, you can start at a checkpoint after game over, the game has bolts as collectables, there are a lot of cutscenes and Mega Man swims now. It's not bad, but it feels out of place.

This is where everyone's hard-on for Mega Man 2 gets really obnoxious. Mega Man can't charge his gun or slide anymore, because Mega Man 2. The graphics aren't as good as the later NES games, because Mega Man 2. A lot of the enemies and some of the music is ripped straight from Mega Man 2, because Mega Man 2. The game also has a spike fetish like no other. It's still fun, though.

Haven't played yet.

All of the classic series games are good. Play the Game Boy games too, if you get the chance.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I don't even know who to make fun of anymore.

Reported for being a fucking retard thats ruining v

games dont age well

Generally if you keep track of what's the current trend on Tumblr you'll know what to make fun of, Sonic fans with crippling autism have a firmer grasp on their source material and less obnoxious behavior than a Tumblrite claiming to be a fan of something or other. Undertale's long since fallen out of favor though, now only dedicated autists who staunchly refuse to let go of it wave that flag loud and proud. Primarily it's Holla Forums pretending it's still massively, hugely popular, though that Undertale Yellow thing coming out at some point or other will probably pick it up a bit again.

Holla Forums's been in the active process of being "ruined" by posters other people don't like for nearly a decade.

Bump

you can play as Proto Man and Bass in Mega Man 10 and the soundtrack ain't bad
a bit easy imo though

It is also known as Megaman. In Japan they even call it Rockman. Weird, right?

Megaman is simple mispelling even Capcom themselves took part of.

I'm about finished with Mega Man 2, and good lord is this soundtrack good.

I'm looking for good Mega Man remixes now, anyone care to share some?

No, the first game sucked

Cheap bosses that don't telegraph their super random attacks, Megaman walks over ice and the player needs a secret weapon to progress through the final level, which breaks the game's rules that were established until that moment