When I was 5 when this came out I unironically thought it was a reference to 9/11

When I was 5 when this came out I unironically thought it was a reference to 9/11.
Anyone else?

When I was 50 when this came out I unironically thought it was a reference to 1938

Anyone else?

What happened in 1938?

Tolkien said the alliance between Saruman and Sauron was similar/inspired by the alliance between Hitler's Germany and Mussolini's Italy, the two powers representing the two main forces of fascism in Europe at the time.

I thought Tokien was against one to one metaphors of his work or that he didn't intend that or something?

Tolkien hated allegory. Anyway I thought it was because in his hometown, while walking across a field, at one end was a tower puffing smoke and at the other there was another tower.

The balance between industry and nature is a big one in Middle-earth.

wtf i hate tolkien now, game of thrones is the true nazi fantasy kino

Wait how, that makes no sense if you understand history.

When I was 3,212 when this came out I unironically thought it was a reference to the towers of babylon and their destruction.

When I was a kid my mom took me to see the Fellowship of the Ring. When the movie ended I thought there was supposed to be more and yelled in the theater "Noooo!" But then my mom shut me up.

Fuck you yougling.

younglig

you absolute grandad. go dust off your wrinkly grey balls

t. notjudenstein

Thanks for reminding that I'm old and talking to kids, I should leave this place

I know that feel.

No one will miss you tbh

I feel old now.

He hated allegory faggot.

I was in my late seventies when I realized this

t. 10 years old when it came out

I know this feel, user.

No, faggot. In the intro to LOTR, Tolkien explains that if LOTR had been inspired by WWII, he would had the good guys team with Saruman to use his knowledge of ringlore to enslave Sauron. So if anything, Saruman would have been the Soviet Union.

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.