Now kids, this is why you go to a trade school, and never, ever, take a course in game development...

Now kids, this is why you go to a trade school, and never, ever, take a course in game development. Good thing I'm majoring in EECS.

Don't worry, I'm already self-employed.

Looks like the CIA has a competitor

Why did I find this so fucking funny.

Jesus christ how hilarious.

It's funny because it's true.

Unless you're learning math, hard sciences, law, medical, or law- everything else is online for free.

Likewise, you don't need higher education unless you study the above.

Gaming courses are like you wanting to build houses, but instead of learning basic construction (and later architecture), they give you less than the basics in everything from plumbing to decorating to house prices to how bungalows are ableist to news and gossip in the building world to generate "discussion".

And the "a degree proves you can learn" meme is bullshit as well.
No-one trains on the job anymore- not unless you have connections, and they need to bring your useless ass up to speed as a favor.
Otherwise- why hire the guy who doesn't know over the guy who knows?

Not that AAA games are worth working for- but even the indie studios are burned out in a year/after first release, or they make shit titles no one has ever heard of. Of course, rare cases have people who make good titles who never get the attention they deserve, and 1 in a million (literally) get smash hits. But even half of them are one-hit-wonders or promptly sell out.

AGDG explains it best.
The info is at your fingertips, but you are too lazy, stupid, or impatient to read and understand tutorials.

Then again, being a game takes 5 years to make (and your first game won't net you a decent enough income to live on alone), then it'll take you 30 years to make a decent title. Maybe.

Learn to connect instead, make friends with someone in HR, do something no one else wants to do in the company to make yourself irreplaceable, and try to earn respect. When you get higher up into a company, fix it from the inside, assuming you're not a cold heartless husk who forgot how fun games could be.

I fell for it. I was hoping they'd explain enough so I could study on my own afterwards, help me get over the initial hump. They couldn't even do that. After the first year you can't get your money back anyway. I hoped the people I met would be decent, and I could study in my spare time to make up. I was stuck doing meaningless projects, while everyone was too cringey or didn't want to look at me.
On the plus side I'm now making /tg/ style games with my uncle. So I hope that works out.

It's already that time of year….

But user! my favoritest new gamedev, Toby Faux, was able to create a smash hit on his first try! I'm gonna be just like him when I grow up! I'm gonna make the bestest game and everyone will make cool memes about my characters! It'll be great! You'll see!

I know you are just joking user, but it's not funny…

Okay, son, here's 50k a year to follow your dreams! I know you won't let me down!

It's not outside the realm of possibility if you studied what makes other vidya fun, and learned how to decently program. It's just that kind of autism is hard to come by.

Hey, don't fret. At least you can study and learn on your own. Who knows, maybe one day you'll actually do something that other people will consider worthwhile. Yes, the education system is shit, but it has largely been that way for a long time, and not just where vidya development is concerned. Basically, if there's something you want to learn and you can't afford to pay for specialized, private lessons, then you're fucked as far as any public option is concerned and you'll essentially have to teach yourself.

gee, thanks user! I sure won't! I'll get to work right away! a-after my 30 hour shoujo binge, of course

expecting to make a game as popular as minecraft or tumblrtale is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's also within the realm of possibility to win a million dollar sweepstakes lottery or get struck by lightning, but most people realize the probability of such things is so low that they'd be better off spending their time more practically rather than chasing fruitless endeavors

On top of that it's also not a good attitude. You should try to create many products, not count on being a one hit wonder so you can just live off it.

Thank you for this. I need anything with Gondola in it.

this nigger is such a fucking autist. it's great.

I fell for a similar meme. I went into general software development thinking it would give me a rounded knowledge that would let me be flexible after I graduated. Nobody will hire me, though.

I wonder how much money was wasted on that class.

None. Got it as part of early admission for my last semester of HS.

He means from the university side.

Honestly I am very interested in game development now after having played some morrowind mods such as tamriel rebuilt. I know modders are huge drama queens, but is it a good place to start learning to code, and design games. Is the game dev general board dead?

I don't know, probably not that much since all the material is from 2010-2012.

You don't understand. Success is never about quality or talent, or even autism; success is about luck, about being in the right place at the right time to ride the wave of meme. A worldwide bestseller novel wouldn't have sold much at all if it had been published a year before or after, possibly even a month before or after. True success is never copying the zeitgeist of society; it's being the one to create it, and that is nothing but luck of the draw. The other user comparing it to winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning was most correct.

Any good guides on how to make a hex based wargame? a book ordered called Simulating War by Philip Sabine arrived today.

As far as I know /agdg/ is active. Not as fast as top boards, but active. Don't forget the generals here sometimes.

In addition, mods aren't bad. Depends on how you prefer to learn IMO.
Building from the ground up, or reading the same instructions and tinkering in a much larger program that's already been made.

My only argument against the second is that it's what game design courses do. You fuck about with variables but don't actually learn why it works. So when you modify something and it does something you like or hate, if it works or doesn't, work out why.

Best I made was in UT3. A grenade which got bigger when it bounced, and it's blast radius also increased. It even made a deeper clanging sound as it bounced again at a larger size.

I'd have done that for my second choice. In a weird way- it's comforting to know I'd have been fucked no matter what I did.

Leftist cuck detected. That is complete and utter bullshit. If you are baiting me you succeeded, lasting success comes only with hard work, integrity, and your own grit.

poor stem fags who make maybe 30k more than me but have twice that much in student debt

Tell that to Stephanie Meyer, Kim Kardashian, and Barack Obama, who will all be billionaires for life despite being completely horrible.

Hehe, you think their wealth is real? People in hollywood especially don't own anything, it's all debts they can't pay. Even the clothes they wear. It will not last, it never does.

Oh, I see. Money isn't real unless it's bars of gold stored under your mattress. Carry on, then.

… yes. It is.

Actually the USD is currently not backed by anything. It is a fiat currency where the government says "X is worth Y". They can literally change or revoke this at any time (but would be very very foolish to fuck everyone out of nowhere).

With Trump in office and him crusading against (((international bankers))) people are saying that there's a good chance America will return to a gold-backed currency standard. The other options are generally silver, platinum, and palladium. Silver is difficult to resell to investors since there is far less demand, and platinum and palladium production are much stronger in Russia than the US. I've also heard from one source that China will start to surpass America as a superpower as early as 2018, and from another source that 2017 will be a "difficult, tumultuous year for everyone". I'm thinking about investing in JPY and waiting for the Chinese Yuan to increase

As is literally every other currency in the world? You don't seem to understand that the dollar is backed by the weight of the US economy as a whole, which is better because it increases over time. It doesn't need something as objectively worthless as gold (which is only valuable because of scarcity) to tie it down. A gold standard would only pin the dollar to a set price, which would decrease in relation to other world currencies because they'll all just be valuing it at whatever the decide is appropriate, backed by their own economies.

Report all shitposters

What college is this from? Any chance it's from a Technical writing class? I already took a class that the professor made us use Second life for a good portion of the class.

But that's the thing. If (((world events))) upset the US economy, it suddenly stumbles and will fall behind, with a good chance to never recover. I honestly think that we're at a turning point in history where forces will unfortunately conspire to deseat the US as king of the world during the Trump presidency.

On the other hand, Holla Forums was applauding the notion of a labor-backed currency like what Nazi Germany used where one dollar was equivalent to one hour of work.

anyone studying for game development will end up making barely more money than a barista at starbucks for triple the effort and work abuse.

Should have read this new easy way to win at feminism because that's where it all usually goes in th end.

This has to be satire.

What is this and what does it mean? I seriously don't understand it. "semen is now coconut oil" what does that mean?

I assume so, considering it references fictional characters like Dr. Quinn, Mulan, and Jesus Christ.

It is

Because stemkiddos spend a majority of their time blissfully unaware of how fucking stupid they are while drowning in student debt because there are too many fucking specialized workers in the workforce
>tfw only have a highschool diploma
>own my house outright
>Stem friends who rubbed their As & Bs in their Advanced Placement classes are stuck in a communal home with like 9 other stem kids because they can't afford a house because student loans

Isn't a it a fantastic conductor that would be used for most electronics if weren't so scarce?

I thought Jesus was real, just idealized?

Hah, yeah right. How'd that work out for the Germans?