Terminology

>"What button do I press to __?"
>"It's CROSS."
Christians: 1, Atheists: 0

What other annoying terms have you heard? For Example: Extra Man, Toon, Jiff, Half A-press, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/XpeMq
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kike
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Despite the semantics of the pad pretty much signaling it's CROSS, i got used to call it "X"

What the hell are you even talking about, you spastic retard.
Cross or ecks, anyone can figure out it's the same fucking shit.
If you live somewhere where people can't even figure out what you mean when you say "cross" on a controller, consider killing yourself.

He's talking about his raging autism. That's all this semantics arguing over video game terms is. People can't fucking contain their sperging even though it's a non-issue and bothers no one.

This one i can't fucking comprehend, like why call a character a toon? what if it's an anime game, shit man yous KYS if you call your creations "toons"

Quality thread friend.

fuck off henry

Remember 2014-era Holla Forums?
Good times.

It's only somewhat vaguely related, but videogames left me thinking 7-Up was pronounced "seven up". It wasn't until a few years ago I realized it's actually pronounced "sup".

Yes, I do. It was even worse. You just have very selective memory.
Here, let me refresh it for you.
archive.is/XpeMq

You stupid faggot, it's always ecks…

But is it owh or circle?

How about square of bocks?

At least we all agree triangle is triangle, no one is that retarded to call it pyramid or some shit right?

That was /sext/, one of the most annoying tripfags to ever walk the face of Holla Forums. He was always banned on sight.

I dunno, he made fun of lets play watchers, and called out a eceleb thread for being non viya in that archive

So when someone tells you to cross something out, you draw a t?

All you see are two threads, the dude was a massive attention whore who constantly shilled for his ERP board.

Yep, Holla Forums was always retarded, it just got worse when those rejected from 4chan came to post on a board run by some random faggot

Things sure were different, but honestly they weren't really better or worse.

Just the half A-press thing. There was even a video made explaining it but that shit still doesn't make sense. You can't half press a button else your buttons have pressure sensitivity.

What are you supposed to call this rubber thing?

DS2 had pressure sensitivity…

clit

fuck off henry

nipplesub

Aren't they the closest thing to L and R bumpers on that thing? If so I would call them George.

Exactly, that's a controller that would be capable of it and there were even a few games that utilized it.

?

Wait, so it's just holding the button without releasing it? Also, if you just do 1 it implies releasing the press. Either way, a better term is needed.

the entire thing is a made-up challenge the dude is trying to fulfill, kind of like Ulililia walking down the sidewalk without stepping on cracks.
He counts 'half-presses' as "I entered this section of the game with a held down, so all i did was release it". half-presses don't exist if you consider an entire playthrough.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. Sounded like a special snowflake thing.

You can't have a half with three states nigger. You can have a third, two-thirds, or a full press.

Requesting that image:

Pride is a Sin my fellow Friend

CHRISTFAGS BTFO
ATHEISTS: 100000 CHRISTIANS: -1

You will always input a full A press unless you hold down the button until the end of time or you turn the machine off. Even if you press A when in a loading screen or during an animation, the machine still reads the inputs.

I just came in here to check these digits

Yes it does, it changes the state of the button being pressed to not being pressed. He only handwaves it because his playthroughs involve always having A pressed unless an action needs it to be pressed again.

Call it 1/3rd A press, then.

ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?
COMPUTERS ARE BINARY MACHINES, MEANING THERE IS ONLY "NOT PRESSING A" AND "PRESSING A"
ANYTHING ELSE IS A FAGGOT TRYING TO PULL SEMANTIC BULLSHIT

Conputers are used to simulate non binary situations all the time dipshit

When someone tells me to cross something out I usually strike it through with a single horizontal line

Do you have autism, OP?

I have never once heard someone say it's a cross. Who the fuck does this?

I think it's a thing with English more than Christianity.
Everybody understand the Spanish translation of "cross" as an X here.

neat

Rob threads are just sanctioned tripfaggtory.

NO HENRYS ALLOWED

CHRISTIANS: 0
ENGLISH: 1

Alternate universes nigga

I think you're just autistic m8

You don't get it, do you?
A button only has two states as far as the computer is concerned: "pressed" and "not pressed"
What you call a half A press is just the result of ignoring the previous, unpressed state of the button when the arbitrary segment by which you count A presses changed.

Just like, use float.

I once told someone to use r1 on a 360 controller and they confused as hell. they eventually perplexedly asked if I meant the right bumper. I get they're not called the same thing across the board but why the confusion?

Henry! Long time no see

For anyone who doesn't get the "half A-press" thing, which is most of you, let me isolate the actual description, since he overexplained it.

Imagine entering a level with the A button held down. In a whole game, you pressed that A button, so it's just an A press. In the level, you didn't press the A button, technically, but instead it's just depressed. You can't say you cleared the level without the use of the A button, but you also can't technically say you pressed it. It's a difference of full game run versus segmented run, not really about the state of the button.

Half-press should just be fucking called holding the button down.

everyone said cross for the PS1 controller and the letter for the SNES one.
You need to be 18 to post here.

hmm block

Should be called a hold, there is no "half pressing" a digital button.

There are only two states for the button electronically but the game has more than two states dependant on the previous states of the button you dense shit

holy fucking shit
wats with all these dubs??

I can understand their confusion because I suffer from the opposite, I have to think about what the bumpers are on a 360 controller.

Alright kiddo, you can go back to lurking

Replaceable.

That's a PSP Stick.

Strongly consider suicide.

Not sure where that one is from but it doesn't cause my autism to flare

Old school mmo shit here. All the newfags whining about it didn't play UO/Everquest I guess. Hell you still see it in EVE Online a lot, which is filled with old school mmo gamers.
I love these arguments. Way more interesting than cut/uncut.
That's just challenge runner jargon. They're trying to use as few A-presses as possible. I don't care whatever shit they come up with, at least they're enjoying their vidya unlike the autists here.

The button's state is 1 or 0, yes. But the game obviously interprets that its own way. Arguing over the button state isn't going to get anywhere.

Tri
Quad
Oh
Cross

All about dat one syllable.

C-stick

It's the x button

Christians: 0
Atheists: 0
Alphabet: 1

YOU'VE BEEN PLAYED

LIKE A DAMN ALPHABETTI FIDDLESGETTI

Trinity
SATOR
Halo
Cross

These are the proper symbols that a pure blooded Alpha White Male would see.

He never says he half presses a button. He just says he does a level in X.5 A presses if he enters the level holding A and utilizes a previous level's A-press instead of making a whole new press.

The Super Mario Bros manual calls lives "Extra Marios."

9/11 i riked it

He starts and finishes the level holding down A.

Even during the twelve hours of hyper speed walking, he's holding down a the entire time. Since there's no way to write that he doesn't change the state of A during the run but that he's pressing A regardless, he writes it down as half an A press. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

I think it's because people with three digit IQ just call it 'holding the button down'

But that's not useful when you want to say how many A presses it took you to beat a certain part of the game. You keep acting like he says he half pressed a button. He doesn't. It's just when he uploads a video he says how many A presses it took. Sometimes, it takes X.5 A presses.

"Holding the A button down" is 24 letters longer then ".5", including spaces, and makes it harder to see at a glance his progress at reducing the number. The standard is inefficient, and as such a new standard ought to take its place.

This is the second post I made on this half pressed A shit and I never referred to this 'he' though?

Now this is autism

Then you simply don't know what you're talking about. It is a specific guy who uses this terminology in specific contexts. Pannenkoek2012.

You don't belong here.

autism is an insult.
There is nothing empowering about being mentally deficient.

When in Rome, faggot. Either get autistic or get out.

He said, making a point about standards and practices of communicating method and technique of proper disclosure during challenge runs of fifth generation early 3d videogames on a militia heraldry and iconography board.

You better start believing in autism.

Isn't the Christian Cross more Longated at the bottom while the "X" is more proportional around Length and Size

Do you know why Jews are called Kikes? It's because when they immigrated to America they were largely illiterate, and so like the other illiterate immigrants they were instructed to sign their documents with an X for a signature.

The Jews we angry because the X looked like a cross and reminded them of Jesus, so they demanded to be allowed to sign with a O instead. The Jewish word for a circle is "kikel", and so we called them "kikes".

Is that your answer for everything or you got a source for that claim.

Who let this retard in?

This is common knowledge, user. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kike

Next you're going to say you didn't know that Koreans are called Gooks because the Korean word for Korea is "Hangook".

Except gooks were first used to refer to filipinos, and were also used in vietnam…

I just can't wait for Crossmass next month!

its called a can of pop

This.

bamping this request

sauce?

Off-topic sage

Why insist on calling it "cross"? it's not even a shape: it's two one-dimensional anomalies intersecting each other. In other words: they are edges with no bodies between them.

And, besides, it's clearly meant to represent the letter X. Just like how "Circle" is actually an O, "Triangle" is a Δ, and last and certainly least "Square" is the Egyptian Hieroglyphic for a bundle of flax, pic related because Holla Forums's impotent text formatting is too feeble to fathom a single syllable from that venerated and supremely poetic language.

It really is such a shame that knowledge of Egypt's pantheon has fallen out of favor to give way to a singular heathen diety because the decadent savages who uphold the worship of this ersatz one-size-fits-all imposter are too lazy to keep track of who to pay tribute to so they think going to their puny shrines every sunday gives them divine favor for both seafaring *and* farming. And, because of this barbarism, the Gods have gotten angry with us and now they've been casting a never-ending barrage of deadly plagues on us for the past 100 or so years in a last ditch effort to get us to worship them again. Well, I've heard and understood their hints and the first order of Osiris, Set, Sobek, and Co.'s business is to clarify that the buttons on a Playstation controller represent highly-developed glyphs and not, as is prominently misconceived, primitive shapes.

Nice pasta.

It's ALU MIN UM.
Pop belongs in glass bottles, not metal cans though

It's spelled αλυμινυμ. Who's mangling words with his primitive heathen idiolects now, you massive hypocrite?

:^)

now that triggers my autism

Reminder that using a cross symbol is a sin.
Christcucks btfo.

have source on that?

It shouldn't, you nigger. The "x" is for the letter chi, short for Christ.

Leviticus 19:4
Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the Lord your God.

Exodus 20:3-6

You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Do you even Greek bro?

You're implying that either God looks like a t or that people are praying to a god named Cross.

Gas yourself, jew.

I'm with you on x and chi looking similar. Chi being used as shorthand for Christ is where I have my doubts.
I'd look it up, however I'm pretty fucking lazy.

Not surprised. Reported for console war shit.

I just use 1 2 3 4 (5) (6) + which is the default for fighting games.

1 = Square
2 = Triangle
3 = X
4 = O

This way it doesn't matter what controller they're using. You can share and talk about maneuvers. If the game uses more than 4 like for HK/HP then 5, 6 or however many more it has.

Unfortunately people outside the FGC don't know this and still look at you like you're an alien if you tell them a command this way and expect you to say "B" or whatever dumb shit is controller of choice.

It applies to every gamepad-designed game which includes pretty much every successful console in history and standard arcade cabinet.

It's not different if you reconfigure your buttons. 1-4 still do what 1-4 normally do. You just have to know where you've rebinded your buttons… which you would unless you got amnesia or are stupid.

Yes people are quite stupid when they tell me to press "Y" on my Dualshock 4.

But that's right you retard

I'm a Presbyterian and even I know that's bullshit.

If people are praying to the cross or kissing it or otherwise putting it between them and God then it could very well be idolatry, but using a cross as a symbol of the Church or Christianity is in no way idolatry as much as having the word "church" on your local place of worship is.

"extra man" always made sense to me because the proper term for "extra lives" in SMB was "extra/spare marios"

the circle pad.

nips actually call it the cancel button.

But that's idolatry as well. Christ didn't want to be deified, he wanted to be acknowledged as the father's earthly presence.
In a way they're right but their point of "hurr durr using basic pattern recognition to get people to congregate in the name of God is idolatry i'm fucking retarded derrr derrrr" is blatantly wrong.

I dunno m8. It's almost like you're arguing that it's easier to speak Proto-Indo-European since its the ancestor language than to translate directly from German to French.

I didn't need citations with those numbers.
Stop trying to fit in so hard.
Shit, I fell for a bait.

Wrong.
The rules were only stickied for a few days cause they were updated the picture in the op triggered some fag.
The spongebob thread was actually pretty good oc that was banned from 4chan and there were only a few threads about it. Then it never got brought up again.
Bioshit infinite thread was ironic shit posting, retroactive discussion of how the games press covered the game or a 4chan/reddit cuck trying to fit in/falseflag making the rest of the board look bad, that was very common.
The sponge bob quotes thread was actually not bad, there was some pretty good discussion of games.
I never went into plug dj threads but from what I saw it was just like "livestream threads" its just one faggot bumping the thread over and over.
I never watched gamegrumps but if I remember correctly there was very little actually discussion of game grumps most of it was ironic shit posting and I am pretty sure the thread never reached 200 posts.
The weeb shit thread also died with out much resistance cause other then this very small part of time that was archived, which happened to capture almost all of the bad threads on the board at that time, there were a lot more good threads then there were bad and there were much more good threads on Holla Forums then there were on 4chan.
The ut thread has 4 replies. None of it is discussion, its all shitposting cause there is nothing to discuss about a slow developed unfinished game.
The mr shitface thread has some pretty good industry discussion.
The daily dose thread had surprisingly high quality discussion for a throw away thread.
Rob threads got banned by 4chan if I am not mistaken. I dont really have an opinion on these threads.
The alien isolation thread I remember turning into a pretty good industry discussion.
The anthony burch was good as usual.
The last plug dj thread has 100% of posts visible made by op.

Meanwhile this is 4chan, so dont complain. Or go back. I dont think anyone really cares

Except it's not. Wasted trips.

Not really. People who play xbox or playstaiton either exclusively or in heavier favour of one often don't know immediately what button you're talking about. I've gotten over this largely by using the 1-4+ terminology. It's also easier for people who don't fully speak each other's language to talk. Both online and off. Understandable the only time where people are all playing similar games, using the same control foundation and need to talk about complex inputs is with FGC. But that just spearheaded it. I've used this terminology for all kinds of games with a friend of mine, my sis and while streaming. It's just fucking easier. Saying playstation/xbox terms makes me feel a fucking shill.

1-4 is understandable in text by anyone. And even spoken most people can count in english up to 10.

df3 = Down Forward 3
1+2 = 1 & 2 pressed together
4,4 = small delay between each input
uf3 - up forward 3

These are all commands that are easy to convey quickly in a conversation and write online. Beats "press the punch button twice" "Left left square on your PlayStation™

I don't even know what the buttons look like on a Wii-U. But I can still share commands for games via 1-4+

That's like saying 0 is a quantity.

Oh I've got a cross for you alright

You need to get on your own cross, friend.

Except nobody fucking uses 1 2 3 4 in any other context other than fighting game inputs. That's literally the only context where people will refer to them as such. Expecting otherwise is like being upset that most people don't speak Chinese outside of China.

That's retarded. If you're going to use numbering, why the fuck wouldn't you go clockwise/counter-CW?

I just told you I've used it outside of that and seen it used outside of it but ok m8. git gud

I don't expect otherwise and I'm not upset when they don't understand. I just use 1-4 and if the person becomes confused I try playstation and if they're still confused I use xbox… and if they're still confused because they're using a nintendo/whatever controller and I don't know what to say then this is would not have happened if they just knew 1-4. Which I often tell them of it and they seem to think remembering numbers that apply to everything is harder and less worthy of effort than remembering arbitrary symbols on one proprietary gamepad. And then the conversation moves on to something else because they're not really worth talking to about complex vidya inputs because they're normalfags or are stupid.

Online has better results. People often do understand the commands if it's consistently relevant to complex menevours. However there's few games where that shit matters. Most of the time it's generic advice that doesn't need button calling at all l like "Duck under it." You don't tell the person what bind to duck when giving that kind of advice you just tell them what to do, input controller means naught. Unless they don't know the controls. But the only time I've talked to someone who doesn't know what button is for what is on KB/M.

Time fucking flies.

It's based on classic arcade cabinets which the button part of gamepads hasn't changed much in 20 years. Turn your pad slightly clockwise and read the buttons as if they're text.

Not everything is about proprietary Sony® Playstation™ peripherals.

Is there a more poignant pain than becoming fully aware of how much time has passed during what feels like a brief haze?

what the fuck is "Half A-press" supposed to mean? I've never heard of it.

It really makes you think.

No.
It hits me hardest when I see a picture of an anime that I remember watching when it came out, or a game whose launch I remembered. It feels like just yesterday but in that moment I realize just how long ago it really was.

It mostly hits me when I'm reminded how long ago Holla Forums stuff happened.
Most of it feels like it was just last year.

oh god it says i have a virus. better scan my computer for free. but do i double click or single click?

"user, your video games are slowing down the computer! I'll have to delete them."

single click into double click whilst holding the first click until for atleast 0.5 seconds so the computer can register a half click which allows the computer to load the webpage faster as only you are half clicking while the rest of the internet uses are using a full click.

Where does the time go user?

thanks the virus went away

But one of the dominant scientific theories right now is that everything is a big ball of energy that occasionally erupts into a universe.

Your mom is a big ball of energy that occasionally erupts into a universe.

I wish she would erupt back into my life.

I suspect the Jews are to blame.

I-I'm sorry user

No problem

(Sent from a halfclicked email)

HUMILIATING DEFEAT

I was only joking

fucking time mages

youre my favorite grandson, scuttlegirl

Personally, i want to see the return of Alumium, as Humphrey Davey originally intended, pronounced with stress on the U. Shorter, sweeter, keeps the brevity of the american pronounciation with the standard-following of the british.

In Japan the X is the circle.

Actually atheism is not a scientific theory.
I'm an atheist and I don't claim to know how the universe works.

That's not why I am an atheist, I'm an atheist because I'm not terribly concerned about what happens after death nor do I need a book to tell me how I should live my life. And I certainly don't want to be part of some church community.

Just saying "holding A without releasing it" makes more logical AND semantic sense than saying "half-A press" and the only reason to say the latter is if you're a tremendous asshole

It's obviously ecks, triangle, square and round

/tg/ has much more of a right to be pissed about this. It's called a player character for fuck's sake. Every book refers to it as a player character. How did this bleed into my games of pretend. REEEE

Kill yourselves.

the context of "half an A-press" is a special run of Mario64 that counts the number of A presses. In other words, it's relevant to note how many times you press the A button, because it's part of the run. He says "half an A-press" so that people understand the button press counts in the full run and not in the segmented.

Sounds to me how MGS3 had you aim your weapon. You had to half pressthe fucking triangle to aim iirc, been years. Man those controls sucked. Pressure sensitive buttons.

nah, you could aim with the shoulder buttons, but if you held down the shoot button you could slowly release it to release the hammer and not fire your gun of course this only applied with weapons with a hammer, so rifles or whatever had no such capability

ALRIGHT, ELECTRICAL ENGINEER HERE

If you think a button has two states, you're a moron.
THE 4 STATES OF THE UNITED STATES OF BUTTONS, ACTUATORS AND THINGS THAT FUCK YOUR MOTHER

Simple enough, no signal being let through
The button is pressed. This is not the verb, it's the adjective. It's on when the button is already pressed. Why is this important? Becase:
This is what happens when the button goes from "off" to "on" and…
This is what happens when the button goes from "on" to "off"

Any half-decent hardware can read between these 4 states and requires them. Heavily. Otherwise you can manually set up the edge-reading but that's wasting resources on something that should have come built-in.

WHAT THE FUCK IS AN HALF A PRESS?
Quite simple. Most games work with Rising Edge's. Press button and shit flies off the handle.
Then some games work with the "on" state. Think about "chargeable attacks" and shit like that.
Lastly, some games CAN work with falling edges. Shit like chargeable attacks that you can let go:
And technically, you don't even need to read if the button is "on". Until the falling edge occurs, you just assume it IS on. Which might lead to unintended FUN if the button somehow malfunctions, doesn't register a falling edge and goes to off, registering a SECOND rising edge on top of the first one.

An Half A press is one of the edges. Either Rising or Falling, doesn't matter.
A full Signal input from an actuator takes both states. And you can assume "on" to be a state, not an actual input. That means if you only use one of the edges, you are, indeed, performing an half-a-press.

Now, if you actually watch the whole video instead of sperging on imageboards, you realize he performs the rising edge on the previous level, so it's a full a press on the full playthrought. As for the claim that he beat that level with an half-a-press, yes it's correct.

Wait, wut? Do people actually call it the cross button? I've never heard that shit before in my entire life, it's the fucking X button as far as I and every single one of my friends has ever heard it referred to as.

You could have summed that entire post up as "A half a press is press the adjective, not press the verb."

GET OUT

>WHAT THE FUCK IS AN HALF A PRESS?

well it seems like user at least invested some kind of creativity when he shitposted. once in a while. it was more fun than it is now.

I'm ashamed to share a board with these people.

Not only do you not call it that, but that would be so fucking awkward. "Hey, what's the combination for this lock?" "Triangle, 45 degree plus sign, circle, 45 degree plus sign, 45 degree plus sign, circle, circle, 45 degree plus sign, square."

FUUUUUUUUCK that.

Disgusting.

But then I wouldn't get to sperg over a 2000 characters post. And what's the point of that?

Are you trying to perform a art?

He could be named Cross