ZERO CULTURAL IMPACT

ZERO CULTURAL IMPACT

FOUR SEQUELS BACK TO BACK

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/#ebe58a66159c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Trailer when? I just want to see some art for it.

Avatar is recognized by normies even today, user.

Recognized, but hardly remembered. People still talk about certain movies decades later. No one is still writing Avatar books, or drawing Avatar comics, or staging massive Avatar Fan gatherings, or making Avatar video games. There wasn't even an animated series, for fuck's sake.

Avatar threads always make me miss Abatap, and the good old days of Holla Forums. You really don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

The only thing anyone ever says about Avatar is "it was that movie with the massive amount of cgi"

7 MORE YEARS

hi daddy :3

Well, it didn't exactly create a universe or something. It was basically just a roller coaster ride, no one writes fan fiction about roller coaster rides.

So? I don't understand why a movie needs cartoons, comics etc to be remembered. Titanic had none of these.

But there's a theme park and a big-budget open-world game in the making if you care so much about this.

This is what butthurt haters actually believe.
I miss him too. Way better shitposter, ironic or not, than what we get nowadays.

Series like Alien and Predator both had universes built out after the fact, but they succeeded so well at enticing people to want to know more about them that they spawned off into multimedia franchises with books, games, comics, toys, and all kinds of stuff. Avatar tried a lot of the same things, from mysterious Weyland-Yutani style corporations, to alien worlds with their own rules and lore, to the uncertain fate of important characters. It also fucked up in a lot of ways too, mostly by over explaining everything like it was a tourism brochure video.

The point I was trying to make was that good movies that people remember fondly leave them wanting more. Tons of people saw Avatar, but few cared enough to even wonder if there'd be sequels because it was such a forgettable, kinda crappy story.

Avatar was a mystery, man. It was one of the highest grossing movies ever, practically everybody saw it, myself included, but nobody really remembers it or talks about it.
You rarely see anybody making references to Avatar that goes beyond "hey remember that really hyped movie from a few years back that used papyrus as its font?".

Get on your fucking knees right now.

What is Pirates of the Caribbean?

Avatar had good aesthetic, shame about the everything else.

A boat ride, nigger. And a fucking great one at that.

James… Stop…
There was a window of a couple of years where people kind of cared about Avatar. The moment has passed.

Pirates of the Caribbean is saved solely by Johnny Depp's performance.
That's not a bad thing, he's one of the few examples of a comedic relief character done well.

There was a window of 10 months where people kind of cared about Avatar, it was quickly forgotten after its extended release ended.

It feels strange to have a thread like this without abatap showing up to sperg out at everyone.

he's probably dead, or vanned.

Sauce? You're basing this in your own opinion.

This makes me cry more.

Because James Cameron is very selective with his creation, I remember back in 2009 he talked about not wanting to release "half-assed" products based on Avatar. This will change now that Disney bought Fox of course. Expect an Avatar cinematic universe, TV series, cartoons, you name it.

Nobody gave a shit about it because it was rehashed 90's leftism ( dances with wolves) in space.
"un-obtain-ium" really great writing there.

Even the 1998 Godzilla had an animated series.

What could it possibly be about? I don't even know what the movie sequel could be about short of a full military invasion and a(nother) blue monkey genocide.

bringing blue rapefuges to earth and stopping "racist, earth firsters" that oppose it.

for what? absolutely nothing no memes no anything

But OP, Avatar already has a sequel

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/#ebe58a66159c

This one was better

>ITT : BUTTHURT HATERS

Pretty sure that's because Cameron refused to license it out to anyone.

I remember reading when it came out that he was protective of it after Ubisoft fucked up the game and decided not to license it out.

"Dances with Smurphs" was a meme for a while. Lame, but a meme nonetheless.

Also that pic of the antagonist with a quote about the superiority of humanity is still passed around on image boards to this day.

Didn't this movie only blow up because it was the first movie in awhile to use 3D? All I remember was that people who saw it was sold on the 3D thing and then every movie came out with 3D afterwards.

3D in this is well made,
everyone is fucking it up,
thats why it worked here

There are thousands, perhaps millions of people who have died waiting for the sequel to Avatar because James Cameron is a massive kike wanting maximum revenue so he's making 3-4 more sequels and wants them all back to back.

Either that or he's too busy being submerged in the Ocean trying to find the giant lobster King.

Nice logical fallacy, kiddo.
Cry more.

Cry more.

I'd rather see that movie.

Pic related

posts stills that literally refute the premise. way to not into the subtle power of this influential azure morality tale.

Is this a shill meme? Spam that we don't remember so that we say we do and in turn spam social media / create memes for it in anticipation of a surely kiked megaquel? Because I'm not going to make memes for it, not even like for star wars where I hated it. Unlike soy wars, Jim Cameron being involved means it will have fantastic loud cgi, so it will bank. But like soy wars, I won't care about the story and probably won't pay to see it or even torrent it. They're not going 4d in the time they spent away so I don't care.

oh lord.

pls not this

For a while it had the "best CGI EVER!", and people were wowed. That lasted about six moths.

It literally rode the crest of the height of the 3d glasses fad wave. It was sold as the coolest 3d experience ever. Annd not a ton of movies had come out in 3d at the time but enough had that ppl were used to it.
At the time even for a non hyped movie 3d ticket sales were getting up there with regular ticket sales.

Then Avatar came along and so everyone went to see it. Thats all. Wooo look at the pretty colors and floating stuff and animals in this forest.

The actual story itself is shit however. No one cares about some blue indians in space and the former cripple human traitor helping them. Thats why no one made games etc.etc.etc.

Good article.

Interesting read.

I just rewatched it and nothing about it is impressive. THe cg hasn't really aged well at all.

Only one or two scenes were good. The rest is just a mess of CG

Amazing they fucked it up, considering their King Kong game was miles better than the movie.

It's devoid of any spice.

What about the closetfag who always spammed threads with kiera knightly.

Post YFW it's going to be the greatest box office bomb ever.

Cameron is truly a genius if he scammed them like that.

That show was great.

We need some loli aliens in the next one

Either the Navi are Space Injuns who were born into an obscene amount of luck and a naturally occuring hypercomputer network, or the Navi are the equivalent of Space Mennonite's, living on a Utopic Reserve and we would have gotten to meet the advanced brethren who designed Pandora.

pretty funny

IIRC Avatar gave faggots depression. Does that count as impact?

The only impact Avatar had was 3D as a gimmick. Everything had to be 3D, even video games. The fact of the matter is that none of it enticed the autism of people as much as J.R.R. Tolkien or George Lucas did. It was a self-contained story with a simple premise and message, not really a grand epic or anything interesting. Its mythology, the world, the characters were boring and were there to satisfied the plot. Now if he made a sequel the first three years after the movie came out when people actually gave a shit, then it would have had a bigger cultural impact. It's not going to tho, even capeshit has a wider cultural impact than Avatar.

I recall this shit. They talked about it on the radio.

I'd watch it

kek you liked this dreck

You're not the real abatap. I know him in real life. Recently I mentioned Avatar and he mistakenly believed I was talking about the cartoon. We laughed about it for a good 5 mins, while we were having our soy latte.

So he stopped being autistic about the movie?

This.
It was a typical CGI trap. When you use it too much it distracts from the movie and the plot.
And TBH the plot was a bad copy of dances with the wolves.

The movie was shit all in all. Though good to watch high with 3D glasses.

The comic the movie was based on was even more darker, and aliens weren't a major theme, I hear.

also the MIB were a lot more morally ambiguous

I am writing Avatar books.

One thing I don't get is that Sam Worthington became a big deal around this time. Within 12 months, he was the lead character in 3 big movies that were released - Avatar, Terminator Salvation and Clash of the Titans.

What happened? He was set to be a major player in Hollywood, and yet nobody talks about him.

By virtue of being the lead actor in the highest grossing movie ever earned him that. He just turned out to be a bland action hero that was forgotten quickly. None of the movies you listed were any good to begin with.

Everything had its own animated series in the late 90's.

That quote wasn't even in the film. Some /tg/ user wrote that.