Why are there so little games set during the 16th - 19th century?

Why are there so little games set during the 16th - 19th century?

Post 'em.

Pike and Shot
Fire and Sword
Total War Empire/Napoleon
That's all that I can think of off the top of my head

All I want is a game set during the 30 years war, is it really so much to ask?

So few.

because theyre boring

Because normalfags don't care about that period, or even know anything about it at all

Because there is actually quite a few?

Adding to this list:

I guess I should have been more specific, I was thinking more about games taking place in Europe. Where interesting shit happened.

Vicky is pretty good in that regard.

Keep up the good work user. One day these savages will learn.

Learning are for nerds.

I think a logistics and social simulator during the Industrial Revolution would be quite interesting.

Imagine having to manage coal and oil supply and demand against a global market, making sure your cities had enough (and varied) food sources, exporting the excess to other locations, passing reforms that affect population membership% of various ethnic and religious groups (eg, Chinese immigrants were common to work on the railroad - you could outlaw or discriminate against them to push for a more white workforce, etc)

You have to learn things in order to play a videogame though.

i wouldnt say few, they just tend to stick to the same few genres. do you consider steampunk or fantasy settings around that tech level to be within that realm?

video games are generally considered to be for nerds

It's a pretty shitty time period and troops very boring.

That sounds exactly like Victoria II.

Musket warfare is kinda shit.

The intensity is in the reloading.

Aww yea gimme dat hot muzzle-loading action.

Why couldn't they take cover though ?

That's simply not how men fight. Taking cover is for women and colonials.

I'm reading on it now. Apparently musket loading is shit, they have to keep the musket pointed downwards to load the bullet with paper and then pour in gunpowder. This means that lying down it would be difficult to do.
Additionally they had to aim downward due to the kickback of the musket, which was huge. This becomes more difficult when lying down.
And finally they had to be able to answer cavalry attacks, for which they used formations else cavalry made minced meat out of them.
Only a line formation could do the aiming properly while being able to regroup fast enough into formations against cavalry.

It's shit in games because they usually don't model the battles in their actual depth. When playing a game in that setting you usually try to get as many of your troops in firing range as possible, leading to massive infantry heaps or extremely long infantry lines. The actual tactics back in the day were very different, and commanders usually tried to keep the biggest part of their army in the back while only a small part actually fought. Those fighting units were then rotated out after they lost soldiers, morale and supplies.
Games usually are far faster-paced than the actual battles with higher accuracy and damage and less complex supplies and exhaustion, which usually means that it's better to leave an unit at the frontlines as support for their reinforcements than to withdraw them and regroup in the back. The desire to finish each battle within half an hour led to them being simplified to two rows of guys shooting each other, and this simplification made it so boring that one can't stand more than ten minutes of it.

Muskets were long-barreled muzzle loaders. This means that you need to stand in order to reload them, and in the actual combat, reloading was what you did three quarters of the time. Natural covers which allow someone to stand behind them and reload safely yet shoot mostly unobstructed are quite rare, and therefore you usually can't place large formations behind them. 200 guys who stand in a line to shoot at 10 groups of 20 hiding behind trees will likely defeat them due to massively superior firepower.
Still, where enough cover was available to protect large enough formations and the enemy couldn't simply gun them down with cannons it was gladly utilized. Small elite forces like rangers also utilized it where available, and cannon emplacements were often fortified as well.

It's all about how you move those blocks, user.
And I kinda enjoy the comfy pace of napoleonic-era combat.
Hell. I still play modded napoleon total war every once and a while.

It's a damn shame that there's no strategy games In the style of Total War that covers the 'transitionary' period between 1870 to the early 1900s. The transition between muzzle-loaders to breech loaders would've been interesting to see.

A fictional setting set in the time period would be nice so people wouldn't be shackled to make games based on wars that actually happened and can, instead, just go all out on shit.
I just want Zulu War-era redcoats, goddamnit.

The bloodiest wars on the planet were during Musket times.

Scourge of War is nice.
I especially like the Waterloo Version with the Kriegsspiel Mod.

Maybe playing Fall of the Samurai would fit what you are looking for if you haven't played it yet. Set in late 1860s Japan so there is also the thing of being backwards and rapidly jumping between generations of weapons starting with obsolete muzzle-loaders and ending with leaver action rifles within the game's timeframe.

I'd like more modern Age of Sail/Golden Age of Piracy games that aren't early access indieshit.

It's weird how few games there are about transitory periods but it's probably hard to do properly. Rule the Waves is the only game that I can think of that does it really well and most of that can be chalked up to very clever framing of the player's role rather than anything gamey.

Naval battles in Cossacks are pretty much like the webm. Ships of the Line were absolutely terrifying.

Which Cossacks?

BFG Armada :^)

Also, I did specify modern but whatever.

Because the popular politics of this time have decided for some inane reason that protrayal is propaganda and support. Therefore, the "backwards" culture of that time period is "problematic" and needs to be "fixed". Accuracy is, apparently, offensive.

Like half the Castlevania games,
The Onimusha games

I only played the first game.

My melanin enriched brother. Great manga.

The new Ultimate General: Civil War (and the previous game, Gettysburg) made by, of all people, DarthMod, does exactly that. It's a quasi Total War game. It's actually pretty terrifying to see just what a slaughter the battles in this period were really like, and you will lose men, and if you're playing as the good guys (the Confederacy) by the end of the war you'll be sorely pressed for veteran troops to fill your ranks.

Also, Fall of the Samurai covers the same period.

It is also arcadey as fuck.
Fun if you do not want something serious.

SO which game is better in the end?

Empire: Total war? Or Imperial Glory?

Didnt played the games, but hearing how shit was Empire, and never hearing of Imperial Glory, I would like to know about this two games.

I find the way the gameplay is set up allows for less cheesing than in Total War games. First time I tried to rush an artillery position I was made to feel the pain.

Fall of the Samurai.

American Civil War: Gettysburg is a fun hexagonal game. It's freeware/abandonware so you should be able to grab it somewhere.

Stratego is also my favorite board game, and you can play it online on www.stratego.com

Define bloody.

More like 80-100 meters, you faggot. Then you're ignoring the bloodbath of the cavalry charging in and slaughtering the side that ran away.

Then there were the Swedes, before they were faggot cucks, who decided the best tactic given their lack of manpower was to train infantry to charge right at the enemy and duck between shots then get up to 5 meters away before firing their only shot at the enemy, then engaging in long and bloody melee, to which they were expertly trained in CQC and often equipped with spears/pikes as well as muskets, until they were victorious.

I miss the good old sweden…

Why don't we take a musket and attach a spear to it? A spearonette, if you will.

What if those savages were actually other Europeans in the process of learning english? That would make them better than the average american on a linguistic level since burgers only ever care about their own language and nothing else. Don't know about brits though, what language do they learn at school, and are they good at it?

I thought Swedes decided that their best tactic was to use cannon, lots and lots of light cannon.

Like this?

Because it's boring.

Vicky 2 is hampered by the engine it runs on and it's granularity.
For example: Whaling was extremely important and only really stopped when WW2 forced most whaling fleets to remain at anchor, if it hadn't happend most whale species would have suffered total population collapse.

0/10

Don't just post those images without a name.

i think its cossacks? i wonder if its on the steam sale

It's Cossacks 2. It's radically different from the original, but I love it.

The Yurope campaign is also pretty fun.

Well, a full barrel musket with a bayonet is basically just that to begin with. But pikes and spears are a little bit longer which is an advantage, not to mention they're easier to make than a musket.

Is Napoleon Total War any good?

There are actually a decent amount though.

The better question is why there are almost zero games taking place in the americas before the europeans showed up, considering all the cool shit the Aztecs, Mayans, Incans, and other people had going on.

Here are the full sized versions of most of the images used to make that first picture

sauce?

The rest, with some bonus magic incan stonework

If it's eroding that badly then they just shouldn't allow people at all and just do like, custom drone tours, or install a wooden walkway above it.

And Roman bridges still hold even under cars. Iberians should have ended the Mesoamerican savages more thoroughly and done humanity a service.

are you trying to trigger the local autist brigade about "muh cannibals and sacrifices"

I really want an rpg taking place in pre-Spanish mesoAmerica with the ending being the Spanish landing

Expeditions conquistador nigga

Also, not an RPG, but Aztez

I don't think they want to do any alterations unless they really have to.

It wasn't the Temple of the Moon, it was another temple that I can't remember and all of these fucking worthless tourist guides won't name. House of the Sun or something like that.

I wish spics like you and the other dude would go away.

Black Flag. It's okay enough. Not nearly enough ship battles in it.

Culture died with little in the way of understanding. We can't even read most of the documents we got.

This is bait, right?
I mean I'm sure you couldn't be stupid enough to not know what mass wasting is.

But i'm not a spic user, i'm a ameritard whose family came from eastern europe

We know more then enough for good games to use it as a setting though.

Because that's the most boring period in history.

Yes, but not enough for people to know anything about it widely, thus it's not popular and thus thus not common.

>tfw wrote Stargate fanfic about Aztec, Incan, and Mayan Goa'uld and Jaffa when I was younger
They even had unique step-pyramid Hatak's.

I call bullshit

"generic precolumbian jungle temple" is a video game staple, and even ignorant normalfags have heard of the aztecs and mayans and know they lived in the americas. Same for that cortes came and conqured the region.

The setting is ripe for a game with the interesting archtecture, batshit religions, and so on.

I'd love a meso American game. Imagine the sense of adventure it filled Europeans at the time. Cities made of gold, abandoned ruins, floating cities in the water, savages to fight, Christianity to spread.

The greatest mistake in the conquest of the Americas by humans was not thoroughly exterminating the vermin infesting them. The spics and the injuns should have been wiped out when the white man had the chance.

I call you bullshit. :^)

But it's almost never anything else than generic background location of no value, is it? People obviously know it exists, they know the superficial elements, everyone does - but no one really knows more than the basic basic elements so there's not all that much out there to foster interest.

Never said it wasn't. Just said it was all but unknown compared to other things, like Greece, Ancient Egypt, China, etc, and if we get little enough of them we aren't going to get much of the lesser known, are we?

No one gives a fuck for the same reason no one makes games about African "culture".

Lack of records!

Oh, and I guess lack of survivors/people who know about their heritage.

Because nobody cares about spicniggers.

They don't care because it's boring. It's just another shade of jungle niggers doing nigger things in the jungle.

Also, as Vavra said, it's not the white man's job to supply culture for the rest of the world. There's enough greasy spics around, they can make games about their glory days.

Nips are okay too.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Context user, Varva was talking about how he should be free to make video games in settings that he wanted to, not what other people (socjus faggots in this case) thought he should've been making because they're tired of the setting he was making. What Varva said has no bearing on if some white dudes want to make a game about Aztecs. People are allowed to make what they want, set where they want, as much as they want.

Butthurt beaner detected. Like I said, no one gives a fuck about your retarded "culture". Go gather up a few lazy wetbacks that have a functional understanding of superior gringo technology and shit out a game and watch it sell like shit.

Yeah, that's why we're swimming in games about jungle niggers. If there was a market for them someone would be making them.

No, Vavra was telling a Marxist rat to fuck off, that it wasn't his job as a white man to supply games centered around the history and culture of other people.

If you cucks want games set in Africa or South America then whine to niggers to make them for you. But we all know why that doesn't happen, because spics and coons are intellectually incapable of producing games.

Pic related. Learn to read the white man's words you dumb spic.

Look at yourself. You're a cringe factory.

Where's the counter arguments you halfbreed nigger?

What are you talking about stormfag. You turned into a baby because you're overly emotional about "KILL DUH DARKIES".

No, he was replying to Tauriq Moosa who was saying that game developers should focus on other cultures instead of European ones (in response to the lack of niggers in Witcher 3 and Witcher 3 being about white peoples culture), and he replied that people should be allow to do what they want.

If you going to continue to lie user then you're going to have to lie to yourself because I sure as shit don't make it a habit to speak with people who are as irrational as niggers and spics are.

He's obviously triggered. The dumbass jumped on the

Does this trigger the stormfag

What envy? prove it. Quote which post I said that.

Don't further ruined the thread by baiting him. Filter him and let him rage to himself.

Let me quote him for you since you're obviously too inbred to read English.
This is why there's few games about nigger or spic "culture".

Again, if you want to see games about this subhuman shit get made, go make spics and niggers do it.

I got you. I don't normally like insulting the mentally challenged. But dumb-asses like him make it tempting.

Why we can't have nice things obviously

No, it just proves you're some leftist shill with a ready folder of interracial bait for when you get humiliated in a discussion.

Everyone can tell you're a butthurt spic.

you seem a so few a butt harmed

Yes, unfortunately but I know that feel. I want some 1878 Mehican fun RTS, some mesopotamian tribal infighting and a game on the Crusades not based around the fucking fifth GIVE ME THE CHILDREN

I like Trump. I voted for Trump. You're delusional. Strawmen. Everywhere

No. I'm Arab, 3rd generation American. And I know a butthurt emotioanl little girl when I see one. A little girl that cries when a black guy somewhere, at some place, at some time, fucked a white girl so now you're going to crawl to your computer to cry about. And it extends to people being appreciative of long dead civilizations in the America.

Actually I don't care I just found it funny, I wanna talk more about historic games we'll never

Postan some stuff.

Ah! That'd be another!

Seriously I'd love to play a game where it's like assassins creed but you're ISIS it'd be the bomb

Gorgeous. Keep it up user, those are beautiful

You are not wrong. There is also to add that most studios are western/asian which will obviously have a more westen/asian focused vision and point of view and they also have to appeal to a wide and young population that will probably know something about WW2 and not what the fuck Montezuma was smoking while he let Cortez in.Without forgetting that most of the natives civilization left behind not too many accounts on their history nor did they have a particular long live most of the time, there are building in Europe older than any of them.

Mind you, it's a shame even for most of Europe history that gets overshadowed by other major civilization or big events,

Well, that explains the interracial bait. I've noticed that sandniggers like you and the Pajeets are very aware of your inferiority complex and lash out whenever reminded of it.

That's what you think. Everyone looking at you simply sees a brown savage.

Like Vavra said, why is no one bitching at the Chinese for making games about China and Chinese history? Japan makes games about Japanese culture and Japanese history. Most in the West have little to no understanding of the history of the country, but you don't see the Nips give a fuck about that, nor does it stop the games from selling.

Back when the Aztecs were building their capital city the University of Oxford had already been around a couple of centuries.

That's true, but I'm not complaining, the market tends to focus on popular history to attract a wider audience.

Come on now, son. Arabs can be awesome but comparing them to a pajeet? Maaaate….what are ya doing?

Anyway new game:

GENRE OF LAST GAME YOU PLAYED
THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR POST
Inb4 "hurr hurr 4534? The future?

do the Chinese even do this outside of the romance of the 3 kingdoms?
Do the Chinese even make games that aren't total rip offs?

stopped reading there
the other user is right, arabs and hispanics have huge racial inferiority complexes
t. user who lived in dearborn for a while

I agree, here is the height of Arab culture in action.

Well that just proves my point, what's wrong with getting stoned in the desert? Sounds like a good arvo. Also rerolling, my year sucked.

SUPERPOWER BEFORE 2030

There was one about WW2, a RTS but i can't find the name.

But africans didn't make insanely impressive architectural, engineering, or agricultural feats on the scale of anything in the meso or south americas.

On behalf of Arabs everywhere I apologize for something I had no involvement in, for something I didn't do, at time I don't know, for whatever your grievance was, and or whatever the fuck.

I don't believe in Identity politics.

If you can't stand on your own merit and bitch about what you are instead of who you are. You're a retard.

Even niggers are more human than you.

Hard to say, not much of what they produce is meant for a worldwide market. I know there's plenty of wuxia and xianxia stuff (basically fantasy and hero fiction) that gets made that isn't directly about any given historical period, with a vague "medieval China" motif to it.

Then you have all kinds of live action dramas, ranging from romance to period pieces, kung fu movies, etc.

Part of the problem with China is that there are many period of history that are not allowed to be touched upon because doing so would inevitably contradict state sponsored propaganda. The whole of the 19th and 20th century is pretty much taboo, especially the post WW1 period.

There's a couple of neat jRPGs that do their own thing, and they made a pretty neat commercial module for Mount and Blade. Other than that, I don't think there's all that much going on with gaming in China.

They did have a ban on console sales for the longest time though.

That's like comparing one turd to another and trying to ascertain which one is drier.

So if I'm comparable to some retarded goat herder in Yemen are you comparable to Rosie O'Donnell?

I remember playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg a long time ago when it was relatively new and it was pretty great. Not to mention that there are the Ultimate General games, I've only played Gettysburg, but it was pretty great.

As a Serb, sometimes I wonder if we were justified in removing kebab a few decades ago, then I keep running into some balija like you on the internet

I'll have you know I am a proud black pharoah and have many slaves at this current time.
also my head is huge.
Also I didn't think that game through at all since we'll all get 7000 and I apologise for that, so last THREE digits.

Also I'm black and nobody can stop me

Is it on Steam?

Roise O'Donnell is an outliner, while the child raping, inbred goatfucker with an IQ of 70 is the norm of mudshits. Try hared Ahmed.

I'm sure both Ultimate General games are on Steam, yes.

I just wish you could specifically order your troops to engage in melee without having to wait for the Charge command to cool down.

I'd wait on purchasing it since it's still early access nigger.

user. Since I live in the middle of the ideology spectrum. I can tell you this.

OF COURSE YOU WERE JUSTIFIED IN REMOVING KEBAB.

This is you right now. You have to defend all of this because you're insecure about yourself.

HATE CRIME HATE CRIME WOO WOO WOO

But yeah, I swore off early access when I picked up Gang Beasts. Love the game still but it's not a full game. It - like ToriBash - are just examples of functions a full game could have.

It's nice when a kozojeb such as yourself knows his lot in life. Don't worry, by the power granted to me by Vuk Karadžić you'll get your wish to become Alahov rob granted as you and your ilk were destined to, one of these days.

Jesus Christ, if you had wanted to make fun of the Serb there's all manner of ways you could have done so. Guess them missing IQ points are really hurting you.

user, what the world has done to serbs throughout history is unforgivable. The Slavic people inspire me, because they have undergone the most adversity of any people on the planet. They've been enslaved by kebabs. Betrayed by pierre. But they're still here. And you know what. They did it on their own.

For the love of God, can you lay off chimping out for the next century or so?

I don't think the Balkans can survive another one of your spergouts, we're already bleeding population numbers as it is, and I'm sure you don't want to lose even more land.

Your flattery won't save you, balija. Your doomed fate has been sealed as soon as your daughter started learning politics.

Don't worry, we've (or at least I've) realized that attacking non-kebabs, especially other Slavs, was a big mistake and we won't do it again. Kozojebi is our only target now.

It'll be an honor to face you, and die by your hand in the coming race war

Average IQ in Saudi Arabia is 80, and even that is up for discussion because there is speculation of manipulation. Also, pic related.

And yes, the faggots are outliners since they make up less that 2% of the population. Do I need to drum up just how much you mudshits crave the cock?

As a Slav I can tell you that we despise you. Even the Albanians and Siptars hate your brown ass.

Only you. Nacertanija is still a part of Serb culture, and you will try to pull that shit again and lose even worse than last time.

Attacking Bosnia will bleed you dry, especially now that they actually have weapons to spare. The whole country is hills and mountains,

Good thing I live in California then.

A-are you a Hrvatbro?

No.

i dun geddit

mudslimes being mudslimes?

In Finland.

Something about America. That does in fact lead to success, and happiness. Where I can say, fuck those guys. And fuck you. Maybe it is magic.

Yeah, man, just look at all the successful niggers in the ghetto, or all the spics selling hot dogs.

Unless you mean to measure success with the number of killed white people. Then yeah, mudshits like you are very successful in that regard.

Music to my ears. Can't wait until they deport your ass.

No, no retard. I meant success and happiness for me. I don't give a fuck about them. They vote leftist so they get what they deserve instead of trying to make it out on their own.

But keep it up kid. I'm sure the coming European Somalian Caliphate needs you on the front line, you proud warrior of the white race.

Deport

How? You'll do nothing. You'll bitch. You'll cry. You'll type on your keyboard. But you'll do nothing.

Guys…what's the end goal here? Of this back and forth?

End goal? I didn't even have a beginning or middle.

Showcasing that mudshits will mudshit.

This one looks like the kid from that Ginger's do have souls videos.

Because the niggerfied people of today don't know shit about history, so they can't handle anything that isn't a generic medieval fantasy setting.

I actually just played Empire and it was bretty gud. The AI did some stupid shit sometimes but other than that I had a fucking blast. The warfare of that time period seems silly today but it's really interesting to see in action. Imagine standing on that battlefield in the front lines. Think about that for a second. Shit.

You're talking about Total War: Empire right? I might try it, I really liked the Fall Of the Samurai extension from Shogun 2.

Ageod has some strategy games from that timeframe

Wars of Napoleon 2
30 years war
Rise of Prussia
Civil War 2
Pride of Nations (and Victoria 2) for 19th century games
Paradox raped Napoleon's Campaigns, by turning it into March of the eagles
Anno series
Naval Action. It's a sailing game. MMO, currently in early acces.
Port Royale series
Cutthroats terror on the high seas
Assassins Creed 3, 4, etc

Literally where is my game featuring all German states and their unique uniforms/standards.

Technically, Rome 2 expansion The Last Roman can qualify.

If you like watching people march up a road for 20+ minutes you'd enjoy Scourge of War, both Gettysburg and Waterloo.

The ancient beaners were fucking crazy too bad they got bred and catholicized into the modern spic

Well, they had a prophecy that wherever they found a Eagle eating a snake while perched on a cactus was where they needed to found their city, and there's where they found it

All things considered it worked out pretty well for them up untill the spainish came along. It was only 200 years old by the time the Spanish came and by the it's population rivaled Rome, Paris, bejiing, some indian city i forget the name of and Constantinople already (it was either the 5th or 6th most populated city in the world), was many times larger then london geographically, and was just all around a hydroengeering marvel, and they did it all without metal tools or beasts of burden to transport supplies.

They had a batshit insane religion but they knew how to build some fucking rad ass cities.

Maybe in Europe. In America he's seen as a strategic genius.

Bumpin

really makes ya think…

I think it's mostly just brits that are butthurt because of their rivalry with france and everyone else either got over it or supported him at the time and sees him positively. It's just that when you hang out on english language internet brits are overrepesented.

I'd prefer a game that was set just in the 19th century where I can be a guy named William.

What about the Russians? They're the ones who killed off his precious army.

They did make 1812 overture which was fucking astounding

fug, forgot my flag was still on after all this time

I'd personally love to see a game about the Russo-Turkish War.

I feel like this is bullshit on par with my Latin American History professor telling us there were 100 million injuns in North America before the white devil came. I'm sure it was a decent city no doubt, but there's no chance these primitive taconiggers built a city so large.

Feels good mang

That meme never fails to get under my skin.

and the biggest die-off predates european diseases arriving.