SOMA copied whomp comics

Post hacks in the gaming industry
before one of you spergs out i'm kiddng

I think you are lost, friend. We already have a filename thread.

It's only natural Ronnie would be one step ahead of the normalfags.

SOMA isn't about the ship of thesus
The analogous sci-fi concept for thesus is augments and artificial organs - SOMA is about transplanting a copy of your mind into another body. Essentially it's the opposite of the ship of thesus. Instead of replacing the components of a broken boat you buy a new one of the same model and give it another name, is the boat the same?

*the same name

Prove this comic is older than the beginning of the game's dev cycle

read the spoiler line ya reactionary faggot

I have no words to express how gay you are, OP.

This book is from 1996, but there are probably several earlier occurrences of this plot element.

I don't think the ship analogy quite works, because the other part of SOMA's dilemma is that the moment a copy is made, it ceases to be the same person, because it is now experiencing and interacting in the world in a different way, forming new memories, and so on.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that in a situation where your brain is being copied into a digital simulation, being stuck on the meatspace side of things would be fucking awful.

Prove my dick isn't prostate deep in you're mom's bagina

Didn't Star Trek have something along these lines with their beaming up and down?

Honestly I'd never fucking take a teleporter if offered, fuck that shit.

Actually, there was an episode about exactly this, now that I'm thinking about it.

In TNG they return to an abandoned base or some shit only to find that there's another Riker hanging out there. Turns out the teleporter fucked up and created two Rikers years ago, one that grew up and ended up on the Enterprise and had a sweet life, and another that grew up scrounging shit in an abandoned base alone for years. I think the shitty Riker dies in the end.

Shitty Riker becomes a terrorist in DS9.

Well that's how teleportation would work you'd essentially copy yourself, and delete your older self right down to your atomes. Of course you can also record yourself, then resurrect yourself with an uploaded copy via downloading yourself off whatever database your data is saved in after your current self dies and is reported as KIA or MIA. The true holy grail to transition to AIs is uploading yourself via cut and paste atom by atom instead of just copy and pasting yourself.

That's the worst, especially when you have to take a piss but you need to shit really bad.

Huh, how about that. I should get around to watching DS9 at some point.

Are you tryin to chet me agin, Gooby?
The concept of copying a person to teleport/upload them is old a.f. See: Star Treks teleporters, the Prestige, etc

this thread reminds me of why i hate Holla Forums with every fiber of my being

Maybe if you stopped watching shitty cartoons you wouldn't hate it as much.

Then why come here, user?

I used to try to imagine the experience of that all the time as a child when I saw it in movies and whatnot. Things like the (((StarTrek))) teleporter that destroys you and reconstructs you somewhere else at the same time, what would it be like to use one? Turns out that it's the same thing as why your consciousness isn't somebody else's. If I teleport, is that consciousness the same as the one I'm using right now? or would I die and he be born and not know it?

Scary stuff but I don't think it's possible to map out the brain so well that it can synchronize with the soul which these type of things usually make the assertion that it does not exist or ignores entirely.

Just get a smaller dick next time.