How is Majora's Mask so much better than all the other Zelda games?

How is Majora's Mask so much better than all the other Zelda games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=iO1ckmGe-do
zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask_3D#Changes_and_Additions
spiderwebsoftware.com/exile3/winexile3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because it says "Collector's Edition" on the box, requires the Expansion Pak and is only for the N64

Because it was kind overlooked when it first came out(and rightly so) so now hipsters have started to latching onto it because they think it makes them cool. Same thing with Earthbound and Final Fantasy Tactics. From a technical standpoint it's actually the worst 3D Zelda, aside from Skyward Sword that is.

what do you mean

Because the time system makes the NPCs feel alive.
Yeah, the time system had a ton of flaws, and there were only somewhat fixed in the 3DS remake (along with some new problems, thanks Grezzo).

But between the use of masks for rudimentary communication with NPCs, as well as the time and flag system to change NPC behavior based on the time of day and how you interacted with them previously, Majora's Mask just did something special that no other game has really done to this day.

(btw, that time system could be largely fixed by allowing the player to freely pause, rewind and fast-foward time in real-time (as in as the game is playing, rather than having to re-load everything every time you change the time).
With that kind of setup, there'd be no more waiting, no more feeling rushed to play a game that's largely about exploring, etc…)

It's a matter of preference.
These are the bad Zeldas:
Adventure of Link, The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword and Tri Force Heroes.
Some put A Link Between Worlds on the bad Zelda games as well, with the main argument of it being a watered down and dumbified A Link to the Past, but with better graphics.

Apart from those, all other games in the series are good and the "best" of them is a matter of preference.

I'll concede that it isn't finished, but it is in way a bad Zelda game.

I've never heard the argument for wind waker being bad. I enjoyed it. What was bad about it?

Boring overworld. Uninspired dungeons. Bad items.
If people complained that TP's Hyrule Field was empty and SS's Skyloft was a pain, The Great Sea was both.
Also, tiny islands and exploration lock.

How is your mom's pussy so much better than your boipussy?

WW didn't seem boring to me at all, I loved exploring the Big Sea It gave me a sense of awe to see all the different islands, that although kinda empty or lifeless as they might be, that's what I expected from a land after a fucking cataclysmic flood, I just remember disliking the temple you go with Makar.

One of the few games where you don't play as The Chosen Hero! so it felt a bit more personal. I'm sure there's some connections what with the Owl statues, but it's not like everyone in game goes fawning over you and how the destiny of the whole world depends on you like in pretty much every other Zelda game.

The Final Boss is also interesting in terms of story as he's not really technically evil. You do fight him and all that but it's not about defeating evil, rather setting things right.

The time system also done something pretty neat with it, considering how everyone had their own rotines that you had to learn. It's nice to see NPCs actually going to bed at night or having lunch breaks and sneaky things happening at night as well. Maybe some people didn't noticed that, but it made NPCs more interesting and you got more invested with them since instead of getting a text box telling you information about them, you got to see their lives up-close.
Some of them had neat stories that, although a bit cliche, were still pretty moving.

tl;dr it was a game that broke the mold both from Zelda and from other similar games. Despite re-using the "go throught these dungeons using new items in every one to collect macguffins to win the game", it was everything else surrounding it that made it stand out.

Majora's Mask was the most atmospheric Zelda game, especially when playing it as a kid back in the day.

The mask system, time system ticking down for doomsday, clock town, moon staring down upon you. The entire game had a very dark atmosphere around it, giving you the feeling that the world is about to end, further motivating you to keep playing to save the world.
I didn't get that feeling from the other Zelda games.

It actually gave a different and fresh story to Zelda. It's also very well designed and the time travel mechanics are implemented well, Clock Town is also a more fleshed out area than Hyrule castle and it feels like more is at stake with the Moon.

There's also the Bomber notebook which is a fun guide to complete side-quests, most of which are fun to play over and you get different rewards. The game is shorter but also more difficult than OoT, the bosses make good use of the masks you get in the game to defeat them.

Really it's interesting how such a small game can deliver so much content and I think that's why people like it.

Just a little tiny touch about it that I really liked was that if before you enter the moon for the first time and Tatl or Tael, whichever is the yellow one calls Link an idiot for even thinking about it.
If you rewind time the next time you're about to do it the fairy says something different.
That's the kinda mondo cool shit I like to see in my games.

It's not. In fact it's objectively the worst.

It has darker themes while still being regular child friendly Zelda and not like Twilight Princess. People who consider it best most likely get that creepy deep vibe from it.
It is creepy pasta: Legend of Zelda.

This is what I get from hearing people talking about this. I personally hate all 3d zelda game so couldn't bother even beating Ocarina of Time.

I never played it as a kid because I was a retard who didn't read text boxes and I couldn't make it to the second loop but I played it about a year ago, and I really enjoyed it, so I may not be blinded by nostalgia for it.
It's basically a lot more of that bit of Ocarina when you wake up in the future and start finding all the other characters and areas you had known and explored in the past. That was a really neat, natural way to sell the world and characters. It doesn't have the 'epic adventure to save the world' feeling that other games have, but it's got a really believable, living world - and not in a gritty ubisoft 'every texture is grunge and noise' way, but in a 'these characters actually have lives, personalities and motivations' kind of way. I mean the world itself is so gamey and contrived it's not possible for it to seem real (that's good though, as the division demonstrated 'real world' level design sucks balls), but the world building sells it and builds up this little internally consistent world to explore, which is really fun to do.

Sailing the Great Sea was comfy though and the artstyle made it look refreshing and nice

Please enlighten me; in what way is it "objectively" the worst?

Thematically interesting with a cool villain, it's more difficult than OoT, the masks add some interesting gameplay elements, etc. MM is great but I think Oracle of Seasons and Ages is still best

I mean Wind Waker and its DS spinoffs are obviusly terrible, Skyward Sword and Tri Force Heroes really didn't need mentioning since they are so obvious, but Adventure of Link is probably the best Zelda game.

delet this pls

Why don't you play a have your own conclusions instead of asking others, OP? It's not like it's hard to get it…

Link waking up in a strange and doomed world was already done before though

Yea but MM didn't feature Chain Chomps.

Grab an ISO of Wind Waker, grab Hypatia's HD texture pack (watch out though it's hosted on Tumblr :^)) and play it on Dolphin. The Wii U version's bloom made the art style way shittier, but the original is still amazingly stylized.

I'd contest this, as you are very much playing the Chosen Hero. You're playing OoT Link, the most famous of them all, and he's wiser and stronger for having saved Hyrule.

But how much is the chosen hero really worth? Nothing against the power of Majora's Mask. How much is Link worth against that, however? And to the people of Termina? Everything. There's a lot of small details about Link and Termina's people, and why they do what's important to them. It's not Shakespearean, but it's there, especially in the Moon at the end. There's been a lot of good discussion on this in the past, and there will continue to be so.

That's what's great about Majora's mask; it's such a personal, melancholic and mystique-laden game.

Majoras Mask had the most interesting and enjoyable main and sidequests of all 3D Zelda games, but gameplaywise it was worse than ocarina, because the gameplay was simply copied over, but this time filled with annoying masks you had to switch all the time. So you had press the menu button over and over again not just to switch items, but also masks, on just three c buttons. It's like you're in the water temple through the entire game, where you constantly have to reopen the menu to switch gear. Also waiting for shit all the time because specific things only happened at specific times, became tiring towards the end. I mean if i have a damn ocarine of time, why can i not jump to specific times.

Sailing is boring unless you're some sort of saltnigger.

The answer is simple and yet, complex. To put it simply Majora's Mask both is the best Zelda game, and one of the best games ever made because it perfectly balances Presentation (graphics,sound,music, and art style) Story (plot,characters,setting, and themes) and Gameplay (Mechanics, genre, balance, and difficulty) into a complete whole. Majora's Mask is not a perfect game but the '''sum of it's parts makes it as good as it is.

This video explains the concept: youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q
This video gets too almost a realization of it near the end: youtube.com/watch?v=iO1ckmGe-do

do you even know what the fuck you're saying

Btongue was wrong about gamergate but he is right about a lot of vidya.
Matthewmatosis is perfect.

Way to prove you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about you rotten little cunt.

btongue is a pontificating pretentious faggot and has never said anything of value

matosis mostly points out the obvious

I'm only commenting on the Zelda games I played/remember.

Zelda 1: Good game, fun little dungeon crawler.
Zelda 2: Awful game that tried new things and failed miserably. Anyone who claims to like this game is the worst combination of faggot hipster and tryhard autist

ALttP: Improved and refined upon the gameplay of Zelda 1. Good game.

Ocarina of Time: The best Zelda game. Flawlessly turned the winning formula of Zelda 1 into a 3D game and blew every other game out of the water for the next decade. And to the person who replies just to deny this, EgoRaptor I know it's you. Your taste is shit and your ideas about game design are about as well informed as an autistic child's. EgoRaptor please go.

Majora's Mask: Good sequel with everything improved except for the laughable boss battles which are nearly all easy enough for DSP to only fail 3 times before winning at.

Windwaker: See above; replace "boss battles" with "everything". Looks like a cartoon which 13 year old you decided was "super gay" so you never played it until you stopped being such an edgy little faggot.

Twilight Princess: See above, but you get a horse instead of a boat and everything is super grimdark which 13 year old you thought made it cool. Don't play the Wii version. Just don't.

Ministry Cap: Decent game in the style of ALttP. Fun new game mechanics but brings little story or characters to the table.

How so?

you sound like you could do it better

wouldn't waste my time, so I guess I am doing better

It's not. It is a black hole of the most detestable types of fans: contrarians, lorefags, and game theorists. It was my first Zelda and I still have a fondness for it, but I can at least admit the flaws mainly the dungeons and see that it's gone from being one of the more underrated in the series to the most overrated bar none.

What did you not like about them?
I personally liked the first three. Even the Great Bay Temple was more interesting than a lot of OoT's dungeons despite being water themed.
Stone Tower was a complete pain in the ass though, I'll give you that. Especially if we're talking about collecting fairies.
Nothing like having to waste most of the three days exiting and flipping the temple again and again because you can't find the last one or two of the little shits.

Don't you dare be forgetting about Ezlo nigger.
I don't disagree with you about Ego being a faggot, but I do disagree with you about Ocarina of Time.
Ocarina doesn't deserve as heavy of a BJ as you're giving it. It has flaws, notably the tediousness of the water temple, and the emptiness of Hyrule field.

I've always thought that they were all harder than the dungeons in Ocarina, with the Stone Tower being the only shitty one.
The complaints about the bosses are pretty fair though.

use the great fairy mask then, its not really hard and is still easily completed within a 3 day cycle, stone tower is brilliantly designed

Even with the Great Fairy mask there are a couple that can be tricky to figure out on your first playthrough when you don't know what the fuck you're doing.

Also, what I never got is when you flip the temple Link falls into the sky, right?
So how the fuck does he wind up standing back at the entrance of the temple?

not unless you're a complete retard and manage to botch it in a 3 day cycle even with the extremely generous extension the song of slow time grants you

I never botched it, I just had a hard time finding the last couple of them.
IIRC there's one where you trigger the chest to appear, but you can't actually get to it until later on in the dungeon, so it's easy to forget about when you're looking for keys and other shit.

How so?
What was fixed and what was made worse?
I believe that was because of engine limitations of the Nintendo 64.
Though I admit waiting is a problem of the game, feeling rushed assumes people hate felling rushed as much as you do which is clearly wrong. I believe it adds necessary challenge to the game that would make it a lesser game if taken out.

I wouldn't say Wind Waker is bad, only very flawed. It far exceeds most games in atmosphere and tone conveyance.

The great sea wasn't empty it had Sharks, the giant flying things, gun boats, ruppies on barrels, giant squids, Bokoblin Platforms, and the fish.

I heard the Owl statues were not save points in the Japanese version.

What? You only enter the moon once, at the end.

It isn't obvious to me, enlighten us?

That's obviously from the HD remake, which ruins the artsyle in my opinion.

I'm aware that Btongue is a faggot, and Matthewmatosis isn't perfect please don't ignore my central point please.
Why?

It's a game.

Yeah, the bosses are pretty shit.
I'll have to disagree about the dungeons not being memorable though, I thought they were all pretty neatly designed.
Also, I found the water temple in MM to be far less tedious than OoT's, if only for the fact that you didn't have to pause and fuck around with items nearly as often.

No shit.
For most of the game accessing and fucking around in the temples makes at least a small amount of sense and has some sort of explanation to go with them (summoning song for Woodfall, lullaby for Snowhead to get rid of the goron, hitching a ride with a sea turtle for Great Bay), but in order to complete Stone Tower Link has to literally fall into the sky and somehow appear on the underside of where he fell from.
It's not that big of a detail, but I always found it particularly jarring.

If you play the song of time inside the moon you leave. When you go to enter it again Tatl says something different.

It isn't–only hipsters pretend they like it more than Ocarina.

The fact that it focuses more on story than childish bullshit like "gameplay."

that's the only fact you need. great bay is a far better temple than pretty much anything in oot.

zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask_3D#Changes_and_Additions

See:

If it focuses so much on story why is the story almost completely optional to complete the game?

I don't recall pausing that often for any of the other temples in OoT.
Most of them only require like two or three items to be used regularly with the c buttons, while the water temple with the fucking iron boots required you to pause literally every time you wanted to equip or unequip them.

To keep it short and sweet, Majora's Mask had great atmosphere, a large number of side quests that served to liven the world, and whose outcomes actually impacted the characters involved, and the basic combat and control scheme from OoT with some general improvements. Granted, it's not perfect, no game is, but if we're comparing OoT and MM, I'd go with the latter just because it's just a remixed version of the same game that uses the same assets in a more engrossing way.

OoT was basically LTTP in 3D. It follows the same story beats; you are the chosen one, go consort with the princess, go collect the 3 things; oh no ganon was one step ahead of you this whole time! now you've got to go collect even more of the things to go break his seal of power and put a stop to his antics once and for all! Light world is the past, Dark world is ganondorf's future Hyrule. You get the idea. The point is, while there's nothing wrong with this set up, and OoT has some great dungeons and boss battles, Majora's Mask branched off in an entirely different direction thematically, and it therefore stands out more because of it.

I don't know if it's the best game in the series, I'd still give that to LTTP, but it's unique in that the main gimmick is a major mechanic that the game revolves around, both in a gameplay and thematic sense.

Go ahead, call me pretentious, call me a faggot. Just sharing my opinion, user.

it wasn't the pausing that made the oot temples not as interesting as the great bay temple. They were simply not as cleverly designed

I'm not denying that either, I was just pointing out that you didn't have to pause that often for Great Bay, which automatically made it a far better water temple than OoT's water temple.
OoT's water temple was also bland and boring as fuck design-wise.

1. It broke the standard Zelda formula in a way that lets it remain remembered.

2. It had an interesting end-game goal that can be beat at your own pace: either right away or after spending copious time with the NPCs.

3. The time system as a central mechanic made Majora's Mask stand out compared to other spin-offs or even some of the gimmickier main games.

4. It was always the black sheep of Zelda games in design and critical reception, being made basically out of leftover and spare materials and trying to make a game out of such little content.

5. The tension of beating the bad guy in MM was very different than (say) OoT. In the latter, it almost felt like Ganon was toying with you between you leaving the Temple of Time as an adult and getting to his Castle; even if he did win (as seen in the "Hero Failed" timeline), the Hero just reincarnates and someone else whoops Ganon's ass anyways and boots him into the Dark World. If Majora and the Skull Kid win? That's all folks, no more Termina left to save. Link would reincarnate and come back to a smoking crater and a suddenly larger Great Bay, if he ever returned to Termina at all.

How so?

The game had two central mechanics. The masks and the time system.

One thing I loved about MM's approach to town design was that they were built around the clock. Every character has their routines and plot that they stick to, which change as time goes on and if you interact with them. The result is something that major sandbox games fail to capture - a sense of liveliness. They're not just spacefillers in a town, they're characters. Whether it's Kafei sneaking around town, or the postman trying to make all his deadlines, or the carnival master daring the moon to fall during the final hours, everyone is doing something, something different from the first day to the second to the third. Since you have to loop it back to the first day, this was possible for Nintendo to do.

Has any game attempted to replicate that since?

No, you're pretty much right on the money IMO.

It certainly has its flaws, but it's still overall the best 3D Zelda game. If MM had given anyone other than Gyorg some actual challenge to the fight it would have blown OoT out of the fucking water.

to be fair nobody today actually does anything so characters like that would be unrelatable

I know.

But the game was built centrally around beating the clock while the masks (well, the auxiliary masks) served to make certain aspects of playing the game and completing the side quests easier.

Underage detected. MM, FFT, and EB have been cult classics for over a decade at this point. Leave.

what dungeon in oot had a centralized mechanic that determined how the player approaches the entirety of the dungeon?

From a gameplay standpoint its the worst zelda

from a substance standpoint it has the most substance

Hahaha god damn phone

Requesting catholic Ezlo warning Link about the temptations of the flesh with Malon in the background

The masks, the sidequests and the world. It's basically Ocarina of Time with more stuff.

Isn't the inverse of this true though where Ganon continuously comes back as a threat whereas once Majora was defeated once and is done for good. I mean they gave Ganondorf a standing death in TP that's a big deal in sushi-culture

oh youre a big silly

Society today is very disconnected, no matter how fiction attempts to tell us to connect. But either way, fiction still has to do interesting things and show interesting people. MM didn't really do 'a day in the life' as it was timed around a festival, an extraordinary time of the year for the game's characters.

Unless you're saying the reason why your conventional sandbox lacks this much character is because the people making it don't have that kind of connection to draw on? If I didn't suspect they were normalfags whenever they're not working crunch hours, I'd agree with you.

But now I'm toying with the image of wandering into a game dev studio as if it were a Zelda house and wondering how everyone would react.

I only partially agree with him because the water and fire temples weren't terribly interesting.
The forest temple had you inside of a decrepit possessed castle, complete with courtyards, galleries, and those weird twisted tunnels.
The shadow temple was creepy as fuck with shit like guillotines, strange faces on the fake walls at the beginning, and grim reaper statues that spin around and cut you down with their scythes.
The spirit temple over all pulled of the ancient Egyptian theme very well, and most of the rooms had something noteworthy about them, like the central room with the giant statue, or the cobra mirrors.
The only things that the fire and water temples really had going for them were the room where you had to gtfo before the wall of fire consumes you, and the room where you fight Dark Link.

drawfags i beg you
i will play the oath to order to see this happen

It's the same fucking game every time, are you people blind?

Finally! Someone said it!

If I had to answer this, I'd say that every dungeon, in typical Zelda fashion, is built around the items that you'll already have and the item that you're bound to acquire inside said dungeon. For instance, by the time you get to the Forest Temple, you'll have the hookshot, and the game takes this for granted. In this sense, every dungeon is built around a centralized and dungeon specific gimmick but not necessarily a major gameplay mechanic.

The Ocarina of Time served a similar function as the flute in LTTP, but now with added story significance in OoT. In Majora's Mask, it served essentially the same purpose, but with the added functionality of actually controlling time to some degree. I think the devs finally gave this one little tool the most power it could possibly have and wrapped an entire game around it. Then, this served as the inspiration for The Wind Waker, which is sad when you consider how limited the Wind Waker's functionality actually is. You can change the direction of the wind and use it to interact with some puzzles but that's about it.

Majora's Mask, conversely, tries to give each mask a generalized and specific purpose. For instance, you can use the Goron Mask to simply travel around Termina field much faster (generalized purpose), but you absolutely need it if you wish to traverse and complete Snowhead temple and compete in the Goron Races and collect the gold dust for the Gilded Sword. In this way, I feel the Mask mechanic is way more important and tailored to the events in the game than any other gimmick from other entries.

I'll bet your armpits smell like ranch dressing, darling

For me it's the world building and themes. OoT was a great game, but Majora's Mask just had a lot more heart thanks to things like the Bomber's Notebook and stories of the characters who become your main transformation masks. Also, like Shenmue, Majora's Mask is one of the few games to have a fully detailed world in terms of characters and their schedules each one telling a story (though granted it's a lot rougher and less impressive here than in Shenmue). Finally, in a lot of ways it perfected the gameplay in OoT and innovated on it in a number of ways.

The thing with MM is that it tries to be a different game.

It's a shame there weren't more uses for one time masks, like the All Night Mask.

I just realized I somehow cut the last part of my post off.
I meant to say the first three temples when you play young Link were pretty good.

i-i dont deserve a reply this good. hey thanks for humoring me.
the only thing i can do for you is to recommend you to check out exile 3: ruined world. (avernum is fine too). an open ended rpg where events unfold over time.
i cant say for certain how it holds up against majoras mask since i was very young and terrible when i played it. ill get around to it but im playing them in order now.

When did Nintendo stop caring?

these too

The funny thing while those dungeons were easier they had more puzzles that played with what could be done with the character of Link like how you need to jump down to break the web inside the deku tree, or having to duck while on a moving platform in the Master Quest version of the same dungeon.

Or the Giant's Mask.
I had a lot of fun wrecking Twinmolds' shit as a giant 10 year old, there should have at least been a room like that in the Moon.

If it isn't obvious that is because you are a blind fanboy. There isn't anything I can do for you.

For example

You think that somehow the art style was good originally, when it is doodle nonsense that makes grinning potatoes look like Rembrandt.

When I was a kid I had a blast running around wearing the scent mask while pretending I'd changed link into a moblin or some shit.

Ah, thank you. I tried downloading Exile 3 but it's not compatible with my 64-bit Windows 7 OS, it seems. Bummer!
spiderwebsoftware.com/exile3/winexile3.html
Site I checked. Polite sage for off-topic. And don't worry user, you're worth replying to.

Majora's Mask stole Ocarina of Time's throne as the most overrated Zelda game. There, I said it. The only thing it has going for it is the dark atmosphere, and that should not be any game's selling point.

Thanks for sharing your wrong opinion on the subject.

But user! Link is dead and Ben drowned!

Weren't there people living on the other side of the planet?

How so?

Really? How so?

Can you guys define by what you mean when you say "gimmick"?

Top bait. Most are formulaic but not the same.

Having a taste for the gamecube versions aesthetics and atmosphere doesn't make me think it's a perfect game without flaws, you faggot. The lighting and gradients in the Wii U version ruined the aesthetic of the gamecube version, that's all I'm arguing.

See:

Fan faggotry is tangential to the game itself.

A gimmick is generally some element that is layered on top of the base gameplay to give you some illusion of variety. For example, Super Mario 64 created 3D Mario's varied, acrobatic moveset, and Super Mario Sunshine took the same exact moveset and strapped a water device on Mario's back. The FLUDD is a gimmick because it could be, and sort of is, used to give players a novel approach to traditional challenges (Mario is a platformer, Mario uses his acrobatic skills to traverse obstacle like platforming sections), but is ultimately a throw away feature that can be interchangeably replaced with any other given prop or ability that could managed to give the same marginal increase in novelty or appeal.

In short, it's something that doesn't really need to be in the game, but is thrown in for the sake of trying to make an old system somewhat fresh.

In the lame zeldo game where the goblin faceplants the planet, there's people on the other side of it.

What?

When I was a kid I always thought the CGI commercial looked way cooler than what I knew the gameboy was capable of. This was my first taste of disappointment due to marketing. Kids who grew up on marketing have the greatest bullshit detectors. Fuck the jew, I see through your tricks.

Yes, what what evidence is there of people living on the other side of the planet?

tone
boy, that was an easy topic

pic

The concept you are trying to describe is a shift in goal.
You are trying to save the day not because you are meant to save the day, but because you don't want to die and also fuck that skull mask asshole.
Link is very much an 'outsider'. There is no uncle, no town of lolishotas to adore you. You poofed into existence by falling in a portal like a retard and you managed to fuck that up, too.
You don't have an assumed attachment to Termina, and the game therefore creates one from scratch.
You started out hunting for Navi, who you had an adventure with, but Link isn't even allowed to hold onto that: he is thrust into a situation where the hunt for his friend gets less and less important to him- and you.

TP was a solid game but the delivery of tone fucked it up.
Everyone paying attention now knew that LoZ could include emotional depth. It had been proven. Just made TP all the more crushing, even if it did bring quite a bit to the table.
I'd say it's precisely what Nintendo thought people wanted, but didn't actually.

Your memory deceives you, the dungeons are weighty and memorable in MM. The bosses aren't though and that butchered the effect.
The important thing to remember about MM is that the Dungeons don't start at the doorway, but compared to other titles, much earlier. It takes more notes from LTTP than OOT in this regard.

Benkei was a warrior monk who was devoutly loyal and is said to have still been standing on the battlefield long after the battle had ended and he had died. In japanese media if a character is depicted dying but never falling to the ground it's meant to convey that their convictions are so strong they linger even after death. And Zelda gave that to their primary antagonist after he goes on about his hatred.

Fuck off, is this is true no one has any right to criticize Skyward Sword because in the same way it could be said that it's 3 super dungeons you consistently return and rediscover.

I don't understand how that relates to Majora's Mask, in any case?
Most people would agree that some Zelda games rely more on the overworld than others.
Contrast the way your map is used in OOT to the way MM uses the areas.

Majora's Mask had 2 key things going for it: Time mechanics and transformations.
In Ocarina the 2 were not divorced.
In Twilight princess there was 1 transformation while Wind Waker and Skyward had at most unique forms of travel to pad out playtime and fool the player into a false sense of scale.

From a tonal perspective Majora's Mask was fantastic because of how unbelievably sombre it was.
It was the Over the Garden Wall of videogames.

Sadly all of that was ruined when they made the HD version for the 3DS.
All the bright neon colors molesting my eyes combined with the more doofy and kid friendly character designs made me understand that I wasted $40.

that is a poetic kind of tragedy. well, avernum 3 should work just fine. theyre essentially remastered versions but its a little sad to miss out on some gold from the shareware era.

Many Zelda games take that advantage of including the travel to the dungeon as part of the sequence to move through it, Majora's Mask is not unique in that regard, and Skyward Sword is the one that was most like what you describe which means that such a thing doesn't forgive a bad dungeon from being a bad dungeon.

You mean by having four climate zones that didn't naturally flow into each other?

I was loving when y'all faggots were bitching about this, it's like you were just realizing that the limitations of the N64 was what was giving Majora's Mask all that atmosphere you crow on about.

But it does it to greater depth and more solidly than the rest. It's an area where the design philosophy differences shines.

Professional-grade shitposting.
The overworld in Majora's Mask is intentionally jarring. Many things about Termina have to do with time, and the overworld largely represents the seasons.
No, though, that's not what I mean.
In OOT, the overworld is largely a means to an end. There are towns and dungeons tied to those towns and diversions from your quest, but barring a few notable exceptions they are not the 'danger'. In Termina, everything is already over. The four major dungeons all have challenges you must undertake just to reach them. It's not even about paths and tiny monsters 'on the way', It's a test and a representation of the crumbling world.
The unity of dungeon and overworld in MM is more reminiscent of past games rather than OOT.
Clear stylistic differences present between OOT and MM are present despite largely shared assets. Why might that be? 'Limitations'?
Visual updates aren't very good for unsettling aesthetic, doubly so when done by people who simply don't understand why the relevant game looked the way it did.

Good setting, plot, art style, music, graphics and gameplay.

Because its esoteric.

The scent mask allows you to find a certain type of fish in the 3DS version.

is it lulus fishy vagina?

Lewd

The texture pack just makes things higher resolution. They look exactly like the originals otherwise.

Majora's Mask has the best atmosphere and lore.

Because is the only Legend of Zelda who has tried to not be Legend of Zelda.

And that is why Zelda 2 and Links Awakening are fucking awesome.

What has always struck me as a fundamental design flaw with Majora's Mask is that, as a game wherein a bare playthrough is less than half as long as Ocarina of Time, they actually somehow decided to make the game easier, when it should have been harder to compensate for the shorter length. It's basic arcade philosophy: when a game is short you make up for it with challenge. No, the side quest content does not make up for this, because as the game is easier than Ocarina of Time, there is even less incentive to actually do the side content character building that is characteristic of Zelda.

The original Fallout has a very similar problem if you want something to compare it to.

How is it less dificult then OoT? I found it harder.

What evidence is there that it IS a planet?

Enemies in general do much less damage to you in Majora's Mask, nearly everything is vulnerable to arrows which you obtain early in the game, and the masks provide tons of exploitable means of defeating them otherwise.

You can also combine these with the fact that heart containers and other such upgrades are much more accessible.

lulewd

i think the time restriction was intended to be that difficulty bump. if you dont know what youre doing it can make the whole thing seem daunting and harsh.

The time restriction is difficulty in entirely the wrong way though. If you don't correctly anticipate how long part of the game is going to take you to complete (especially a dungeon), you can end up in the irritating situation of needing to repeat a huge amount of shit.

That would only work if you could rewind in short bursts, or if you got such an ability later in the game. You give people the chance to instantly correct their mistakes rather than living with the consequences of their fuck-ups, and you'll have people shooting only for the de-facto perfect endings every single time. It cheapens the idea of the three day format in general.

First of all it's not; it's one the same level as Link's Awakening.

The answer to your question is it was directed by the same guy who did Link's Awakening.

That's indestructibly the best Zelda though.

No, he only did the story to Majora's Mask. MM was the first Aonuma Zelda.

It isn't.

It does have the most interesting world, though.

HUEHUE

Because it was more fun than the rest. Also, the time travel mechanic is objectively the most interesting feature in any zelda game, which only adds to the fun.

From a technical stand point, everything that made OOT was improved game play wise, surely you don't mean that there's only 4 temples and that's the reason why.
Either way, it's been liked by the same people ever since it's been released.

I had to go look this up, we both fucked it up.

Koizumi did the story for Link's Awakening and co-directed Majora, meaning he among other things did story direction and wrote all the time events.
Tezuka directed LA and was the supervisor for Majora.

I checked out what games they both worked on where they had any significant input on story or game structure to see if it's a winning combo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Flipnote Studio 3D

In addition there's OoT and Majora but I don't know if supervisor means you actually do anything useful in shaping the game.

Explain faggot. The game is pretty grounded world building wise.

Because you can transform into different characters with whole different abilities.

It wasn't a traditional Zelda game in that regard and that is why it is the better Zelda

Never claimed any such thing. I'm saying you are blind to its aesthetic flaws because you are a fanboy.

I'm saying that however worse you think the HD version made it look that it looked terrible to begin with. It's low effort trash that should be without an excuse. The HD version would have to make an entire new game's worth of models to fix what was wrong.

Low effort is low effort. They aren't animated still frames by hand, there is no excuse for it to be such poorly "drawn" shit. It was nothing more than Nintendo being cheap and relying on the name to sell the game.

What precisely makes the charter design so bad?

If you really can't see why, then you are a blind fucking fanboy.

If you don't have an actual argument, consider not posting. You look like a hipster right now.