Random ass game gets turbo popular

Apart that one Lord of Fallen game, why isn't there a huge number of souls clones by now? I mean terraria, overwatch, monster hunter, pretty much any massively successful game got a fair number of clones, but not muh Demon's/Dark Souls.

Why is that?

It's true that hacks seem to be content with just using the word "souls" in their titles than actually ripping off the games.

Nioh will blow the Souls games out of the water.

Wasn't it a cuhrayzee game? Got any webms?

there's been a handful of 2d indie games trying to use the souls formula, but the dweebs that want to knock off souls the hardest can't into 3d

Simply put, most developers don't understand why souls games are good.
Or, how they even function on a mechanical level.

Just look at any of the normalfags or other devs talking about souls games

So what do they make?
IWBTG clones that lack mechanical depth and proper execution.
Souls games became famous with a vast majority of people that played them, and even finished them, but didn't understand jack shit about then on a mechanical level.

Because souls game are flawed concept, and they rely 99% on the name.
Lord of the fallen wasn't that big and was quite shit

"i died a lot this game is about dying" even though like 90% of player death can be avoided by just paying attention or knowing how the game works. which is probably why many demons-onward players keep thinking the sequels were getting easier, when i'd argue that they just know the formulas and how to tackle them

dark souls 2 did have some legit "bullshit" difficulty moments spawned entirely from bad game design, a good example is in the tower when you open a door and 5 identical knights with greatswords all rush at you with the same movement speed, causing them to all clump together and forcing the player to kite. which isn't fun at all

Bloodborne arguably surpassed the souls series but it's from the same guys and they clearly had a different aim and feel in mind so you could argue it's not really comparable. Nioh seemed pretty good and a lot of people thought it improved a decent bit on the souls formula so that might end up surpassing it in the gameplay department.

I think Nioh was Bloodborne box exclusive though so unless it comes to PC I doubt you will hear much about it even if it is better.

And Bamco themselves is guilty of this.
In their promotional material and marketing they keep pushing again and again that these are SUPER HARD GAMES and YOU'RE GONNA DIE A LOT LEL.

Why?
Because "dis game hurd" is faster, more concise, a more digestible meme to pass on to the next person, compared to a full list of features and mechanical nuances that compose the average souls game, how the movement works, how the combat works, how iframes work, how rolling works and so on.
Just slapping a "it's fucking hard nerds" sticker on it makes it spread in a memetic manner.

People are ignorant about souls games and what they really are about because Bamco purposely keep them ignorant, so they can sell more copies.
Tons of people play souls games, when they shouldn't, they simply play them for retarded reasons, because they feel obligated to, they think it's one big dick measuring contest, or blaze trough the PVE content to make sick ass PVP vids 320noscopeblazeit.
Souls games are niche, and they never stopped being niche.
It's just that now tons of people got sucked into them and instead of admitting that maybe the experience wasn't fully intended for them, they rationalized it into "oh i only play this shit for the pvp" "i only play this to prove other people that i can beat them, this shit ain't even hard" or "i only play them for the lore".
Even here, on Holla Forums, right now, there's people guilty of this.

It's a nice blend between Ninja Gaiden and Souls. Haven't got any webms, but there's this video.

I agree with the other user that it'll blow the Souls series out of the water if no significantly damaging changes are made between the beta's release and the full game's release.

nioh devs were smart to make their own combat and not copy souls, i'd argue the base combat of Nioh has way more depth because of ki-pulse and stance mechanics but i expect the level design won't be as great as souls. again that's why its smart, if you copy everything from souls but don't get it right you're just gonna fail, Nioh gave itself mechanics to set itself apart. I'm pretty confident in it after the last 2 betas

well this isn't exclusive to souls, japanese game advertising hasn't been afraid to show the players losing in the trailers, monster hunter trailers will always show the players getting dunked on against the new flagship monsters when they announce them

it works, but in japan. in the west doing the SO HARDDDDD BRO campaign just baits people trying to stream it and shit

If you paid enough attention you would know how to deal with that easily.

The combat is well executed, but the enemy placement, level design, player feedback, drop system and finally the UI need some serious work.
I've played both betas and the first beta was much more interesting in terms of difficulty.
The second beta made thins easier, wich is fine, but the problem is that they didn't really address the UI and drop system problems.
Maybe they will in the final release, but i'm concerned about it, from the first beta to the second, they didn't seem to "get" what wasn't working the first time, or maybe they flat out didn't have enough time and recources yet to fix those elements.

It does feel different enough that I can play Souls games afterwards without feeling like I am missing something, but it is an improvement on the formula mechanically. More to do with the weapons, a reason to use different classes of armor, even heavy, and a heavier emphasis on dueling if you aren't good enough. Plus you have stuff like stances and the fact you can use a cancel to restore stamina to keep going and the game tries to emphasize learning that through the way youkai realm works.

About the only way they can fuck it up, besides royally fucking up the mechanics, is by doing shitty boss fights that don't take advantage of the mechanics. Which, from what I played of the demo, is doubtful.

i assume you mean if you take the alternate route where you can get up behind those guys and avoid the fight, or use the barrels to eliminate a lot of them at once. which is right it is a fair solution but having multiple enemies of the same type wielding the same weapon in a single fight is generally shitty because they end up clipping into each other.

bloodborn really got multi-enemy combat down because most of the time the enemies you faced would all have a different weapon and different movement speed, so they wouldn't clip into each other while moving towards the player, even when there's an enemy off screen with a rifle the game gives the player a loud audible clue when they're firing so you have appropriate time to react

I'm really looking forward to Nioh, the alpha was great, I'm happy they nixed the inane weapon degrading and it's starting to look more like NG: Mythical Edition by the day.

Still not digging the huge floating numbers for damage, they take me out of any game.

That's absolutely not what I thought it's gonna be.

Just the ki pulse and stance mechanics were enough to set it apart, putting those two together by rewarding the player with extra stamina if they change stance on key pulse was really neat and encourages the player to experiment and discover their own combos.

The theme of Japanese Youkai actually seemed pretty neat, especially since it looks like they are going to have more than just generic demons. I doubt it will have the "muh lore" and atmosphere that souls games usually have but it seems to be a nice improvement in the gameplay department. It's still got a few problems but if the rest of the game plays like the two betas then I could see it being it's own game that rivals the souls games rather than just being known as a shitty souls clone like Lords of the fallen was.

i wonder how deep into wacky japanese mythos it will go, maybe we'll get to fight a living umbrella or a giant skeleton or some toilet-demons

Also, the rally system meant you could fuck up while in the middle of a fray at least once, and then regain your HP from the fuck up by staying aggressive.
This allowed for micro-mistakes, that when not followed up by other mistakes meant you could keep pushing.

This was in turn balanced by having every single enemy in the game beign WAY more aggressive and agile.
BB was such a good fucking game, holy shit.
Maybe the only problem was using vials instead of an estus-like system, but perhaps there's pros and cons to both solutions.
I'm still not sure if it should've gone the esust way, instead of the hybrid estus-grass way.

yeah i'm still not sure what the ideal solution to that would be, but since you could only carry like 10 at a time or whatever regardless of what was in your box, maybe it shoulda just been like estus

from software themselves don't understand souls formula let alone other devs

I personally didn't notice much of a difference in difficulty between the alpha and the beta. The most significant change in the beta, I think, was the removal of the ability to do all the cancelling and chains in low stance. You could argue that that decision removed some of the depth, but at the same time it gave us more reason to use the other two stances/movesets for each weapon type.

All we can do is wait and see how the full release goes, I guess. No doubt it'll have problems, but the combat, the music and the bosses we've seen thus far still have me quite hopeful. I thought the level design was pretty decent too. Certainly not on the level of, say, Metroid Prime or Demon's Souls, but there was still a good amount of open-endedness and variety between the levels in the alpha and the beta. I never got to the second level in the alpha, though, since I downloaded it quite late.

In the full game, what I'd like to see most would probably be some kind of juggling mechanic and for the punishment of using all your stamina to be returned back to what it was like in the alpha. That's something I definitely preferred over the beta; being a sitting duck for a good few seconds if you ran out of stamina was a great way to encourage careful stamina management, something that I never really thought about much in the Souls games. Bloodborne was a bit of a different story, since every enemy was so much more aggressive, but still being able to leisurely jog away when out of stamina was a bit jarring. DeS is my personal favourite, but ever since playing it for the first time, I always thought there should be some kind of punishment for not looking after your stamina properly. Even the beta of Nioh fills that gap for me.

As long as I can still do ninja flips with spears, though, I'll be pretty happy. Jumping over the Unmatched Warrior of the West and tearing into him from behind after he lunges at you felt awesome. I never finished that fight on purpose because it was so fun and I got his armour as a random drop anyway so whatever.

Couldn't you turn those off in the options menu? I can't remember, but I think there was an option for that.

Fuck yes

enemies also suffer the same punishment as the player for running out of stamina

because souls is what youre describing to 3d zelda games and skyrim

One of the worst aspects of DS3 is how low-tier enemies can go on fucking mental combos with no real pause, always fucked me off.

Because, to even make a shitty souls clone takes several years, actual talent, and a budget that most Triple Ayyy studios aren't willing to shell out for something that won't be a surefire success.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. As the other user said, enemies are forced to stay still and are unable to attack for a little bit if they run out of stamina, just like you are. When they're in that state, you can do a special attack on them that:

The video I linked earlier gives you a good idea of what you can expect from the full game, though I've noticed that the uploader doesn't use axes/hammers much. That's a shame, because grabbing bandits and launching them off of cliffs with those weapons is good fun.

I was wondering about that, good to hear there are heavy weapons in the mix. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than slamming dudes into the ground.

The only annoying thing about vials is that they were a limited resource you had to collect. It was easy to keep piling them up if you were progressing with no trouble but if you got stuck on a boss for a while then it was a pain in the ass to have to farm more. I would have prefered they just used an Estus like system where you get 10 on spawn or something.

The only time it wasn't a pain was when you fought Ludwig since you could get 5 from the guy outside his spawn each time.

Souls is the result of basically decades of iteration on the same type of gameplay and theme. Kings field is basically just a first person souls game, souls is a lot like that game just fused with a more common type of japanese action game. I'm sure it will happen eventually but most developers just don't have the experience of thinking and working in that type of sphere where there is a ton of content and everything has to be fine tuned. Western devs particularly have gotten to a stage where they are hamfisted as fuck, or if they're indie it takes 4 years of early access to have a half finished alpha

Heh.

pssh nothing personell kid

So far, for the bosses, a big ass Oni, a Nue (nip chimera), a Hino-enma (looks like a Japanese succubus), Jorogumo (spider woman), a big ass frog that walks upright while smoking a pipe and whacking you with a naginata and a yuki-onna (snow spirit; IIRC it's Oda Nobunaga's dead wife).
Cool stuff so far but I don't think it will be as crazy as Oboro Muramasa; that game had all the weird shit including a tanuki slouched on his own nutsack.

Game has tons of potential but KT's kikery worries me.

I must say i haven't been a fan of the bosses in the alpha.
They were probably the weakest part of the game for me.
The designs aren't bad but i never especially had fun fighting them.
The main "boss" i liked was the samurai guy from the second alpha, not exactly a boss, but it was a really intense 1 on 1 fight.

For me it was the ogres dual-wielding ninja swords. That shit's just silly.
Like the black skeletons with dual katanas in DeS, it just seems like someone is letting their kid design enemies.

For the actual bosses, I'd say that's the closest the game gets to Dark Souls - you'll spend a shit load of time getting fucked by the camera.

They could have given them more fitting weapons like scimitars, for DeS, or larger katanas. They look like they are wielding butter knives with how out of proportion the swords are to them. The animations also look ridiculous.

Your taste is awful. The series is fun, it's fun to dress up and customize and build a character, but the level design is piss poor and just designed to kill the player.
you're right, it's really hard to actively fuck up and make input lag a built in feature.
The hellkite drake will actively increase in attack power every time it hits you with the fire attack and for as long as it is fighting you, making it impossible to even block at one point. Armor has no effect on how much damage you take until you get up to heavy armor, and even then it's 10% less than what you would be experiencing. Enemies can enter off hand techniques while weapons are in their main hand. The distance between you and the enemy is how far the enemy can jump attack towards you.
Mind you, I'm not saying this is what makes it "hardest game evar 10/10," this is a bunch of bullshit that was put in the game to challenge the player but instead just puts them on completely uneven footing with the enemies, which would be fine if not for the fact that enemies will kill you in three hits no matter what if you're the right level for the section you're in. NG+ is also a travesty, and it's the only time where I've seen Holla Forums users praise a game for having damage sponge super canons for enemies.
Here's your mechanics, try and see if I left anything out

cont.
If this were any other series these shortcomings would be pointed out with haste and no repercussions would be seen, but for some reason every souls fag has to sniff his own farts and pretend like From isn't just shitting out european armor and weapon dress up games

Just look here
What level design? everything is a narrow walk way until it comes to a big wide open area that has goodies scattered about, mostly just big enemies that the large area was made large to accommodate the size of. In most games you'd have big areas that are pretty small when you look at them, but big enough to move around and fight enemies in a 3d plane. Every enemy is fought in very tight quarters most often in the souls games, and the larger areas are left to enemies that are larger, giving you more space to move, but a threat that can step in and close any distance in seconds.

After fifty lines of greentext I thought you had already thrown subtlety out the door but holy shit

What I mean is that you can't pull off the bare minimum level of shit quality with the kind of worthless student being churned out by diploma mills like digipen.

You dedicated three consecutive lines to bitching about how the game hurt your feelings.

you seem to be the only one bringing up fee fees, widdle guy.

Do you cry everytime?

Is this what we're doing now?

Fuck all you assholes bitching about "rehashes" and "clones", if only I were so lucky

Aren't you entitled little piece of shit?

Fuck you. And while were at it, give me some more Vagrant Story for fuck's sake

There's that one Vita game that has carbon-copy Valkyrie Profile gameplay and it's quite enjoyable, but the art-style, story and graphics are absolutely unbearable. It's a somewhat bittersweet feeling I guess.

VP2 graphics are much uglier than the godly VP Sprites

If you think about it Vagrant Story's combat was more or less nuFallout VATS with limited range and tacked on QTE mini game.
It was nothing special.
I bet you just like bdsm costumes.

because the aspects of the Souls games that actually make them good games are difficult to copy

every Souls game (yes, even 2) has these elements in spades and they're all super high-quality. I'm not an animator so I can't tell you exactly what it is about the animations for weapons and bosses in Souls that makes them so much better than, say, those in Lords of the Fallen, but they definitely are.

same goes for all the armor designs, enemy designs, and level designs

Weren't there Vagrant Story costumes recently released on FFXIV or something like that? At least they acknowledge it's existence

Also, since it's seems we are posting Squaresoft games

Brave Fencer Musashi was the best Zelda game ever made, and everyone overlooked it. It got ONE terrible sequel and then got thrown into oblivion. I still replay it from time to time.

Tell me user, what's your favorite game so I can hurry up and shit on it.

They're the same game, doofus. As for everything else, are you trying to set some sort of record for having terrible opinions?

Sprites and animations from the first game are god-tier though

I think you are missing the point in Vagrant Story, It's an RPG first and foremost, the whole combat thing was just to add a layer to it and not just "pick attack button" like RPGs normally does. Yes, if you look at it like an "action game", it totally sucks, you CAN technically combo anything into the ground and kill whatever with a dagger, as long as you never miss that combo imput.
But it combined with everything else, like the fact that you had to manage your weapons depending to what you were going to use them for, the timing for the combo on each one, the part of the monster you were going to attack and so on, and even mix and matching blades and handles, it was really novel and fun as hell.

I was talking about Exist Archive in the unspoilered part, did you somehow missed that I said Vita?
With the spoilers I only meant that I preffer VP style to VP2, not that it sucked.

Oh okay, well thanks for the recommendation then

Iwata is trying to appeal to more "core gamers" and is trying to make some RPGs. Get's Gambarion to make one instead of their One Piece fighting games.
And it comes out as a fucking sweet game.

Love this game. Voice of the main character is shit but it makes up for it by force feeding his waifu beast hearts and making her cry as she eats it.
Gameplay is god tier. Can use a classic controller if you're that fucking retarded but it's only going to hinder a player. Needs the free cursor movement of a wii remote or even better, a mouse.

closest thing to another game of it is Square Enix copying the art.

the only thing here is that they actually have vision as far as what they want the area to be and then they flesh it out. For a game though you also need to have good enemy placement, which DaS has always lacked.
You don't need to be a chef to taste shit. The animation swings for any longsword in dark souls can clearly be seen as overdrawn and ridiculous to anyone who is even slightly knowing on how to sword and board. Bringing your arm all the way back and then whipping it forward and around is poor form, especially when you don't use your shield to guard your body in preparation of the swing. The animations, when you really look at them, are very simple, and it's easy to see where animations are reused. The armor designs are actually fine, but they're mostly brought down by belts or going too far into one aspect of it and drawing away from what might be a cooler aspect of it. Fallen Knight set? Very nice, shat on with a torn cloak that makes it look like a shitty guts, which I also hate, but it could have been better if it just had a full cape, but instead it goes the torn route and it's torn to shit all over the cape, making it more like a trench coat with flaps. There are tons of armor designs I could list but souls fags seem to have a problem with lists of things that oppose their views so I'll leave it at my example.
It's easy to copy the simple shit in souls games, it's just that no indie dev is competent enough to make a 3d ARPG

Oh god it's you

Because people realized that all you had to do to be considered "souls-like" was to make it where you could die occasionally.

I don't know who you think I am, but I can tell you that "you" can literally mean thousands of people who understand that you don't wind your hand back and leave yourself wide open in a sword fight. The lothric knights have better form than you, and they would be in perfect form if they actually had their shield up at all times when they strike.

I know that Dark Souls has some characteristics unique to it, but I'm talking more about how people compare games to Dark Souls just because they died a few times in said game.

I had a feeling you were 13.

kek

Don't you have some Exanima to play or something?

Because the souls series is actually a clone of a better game

Hard to believe, huh?

Evergrace or whatever? I dunno if it was better, as well as it was made by the same studio. It's like calling Doom a Wolfenstein 3D clone.

Because single player action games with actual enemy balance and level design aren't easy to shit out for little effort and/or money, unlike indie pixelshit and cartoony arena shooters. Reskinning MH with an anime aesthetic and calling it a new game is probably even easier. People try to mimic these successes because most of them are in genres that are inexpensive (relatively) to develop for, meaning it's not much of a risk to take and could potentially pay off really well for the unoriginal hacks "making" them.

Anything with that much hype behind it in the current year is going to fall flat on its face.

Have you played the Beta? As a longtime souls fan, I can easly assure you that quality is at least FROM-tier, if not higher, whenever we talk about atmosphere and gameplay alike. The hype is as high as it is not from marketing or anything like that, but from people trying and enjoying the game.

Kings field, even made by fromsoft.

I've been recently playing the first one on PS1 (the first american one, that's actually the second japanese one), and man is it addicting as fug. There's some charm coming from the simple, low poly graphics, and the music is hype as fuck. Even being simple as it is, you still get the same feel that you get when playing Souls games.

Gameplay in KF is completely different from Souls. But I guess for retards DARK AND MURKY CASTLES AND DUNGEONS is more important than actual mechanics.
Evergrace is an actual game that later evolved into Souls franchise.

Game looks great, I really like how big the numbers are when you damage shit, makes me pumped.

Souls games are fun because of the complex attacks of enemies. That is very hard to do, even most japanese action developers can't do it. Even platinum games only really throws trashmobs at the player that wiggle their limbs pathetically without posing much of a challenge except in great numbers.

Basically: coding a game with challenging and interesting enemies in a melee game is very very hard.

Anyone who liked souls should give Exanima a try. It's basically a tech demo at the moment with a repetitive arena mode and an unfinished campaign but the combat/gameplay is god tier and it has nice visuals. Everything is physics based, no canned attack animations, so it can be a bit QWOPish at first but once you get the hang of it it becomes really satisfying. Because of how freeform the combat is there is a lot of room for experimentation and refinement, such as in the video.

I don't suggest buying it as despite my hopes for it I'm not optimistic about it ever being finished. The developers were aiming to have a larger game released by now, but released Exanima in the interim, and even it isn't finished yet, to top it all off larger updates are few and far between.

Just need more of the dev type that isn't the above if you wanna see a good soulslike game pop up

What's up with this Holla Forums having some of the most notorious autistic spergs ever?
There's the schizophrenic guy, the christfag, the ass autist, the gunlance autists in MH threads, and now we add this assclown to the collection of lobotomized baboons smashing their face against the keyboard.
I guess it's a bunch of people that would get instantly banned anywhere else so we're stuck with them here.

"Nothing gives me greater pleasure than slamming dudes" - user, 2016

Well, it's not that we're unique in any manner user, but I get your point.
TL;DR it's a mix of several factors that make consistently low-quality posts more noticeable.
Same thing happened over on halfchan's /x/ before I quit that imageboard for good.

The overall post quality here is higher than most boards, say compared to halfchan's Holla Forums, because the threads here move in a slower, and more deliberate manner; thus the posters with consistently lower-quality posts are easily picked out of the generally average to high quality posts that we have as the norm here.
In the inverse case, halfchan's Holla Forums is so consistently low-quality, and a majority of it's users post like said debilitatingly mentally-handicapped anons that's it's impossible to notice in one of their "normal" threads.
However, in the legendarily-rare halfchan Holla Forums thread it's noticable, because of a divergence from the norm to consistently quality posts (thus, once inevitably filled with shitposts, people say "this board is going to shit", bcs their delusion of low-quality posts being the norm is temporarily broken), but that's generally only noticed (for a new user) if one is used to say the post of quality of a small community for a consistent /vg/ thread or the like; as in general terms of halfchan Holla Forums that low-quality posting becomes the "norm"/"culture".

So yeah…

stop with that shit, faggot.

I can attest to this, exanima is damn fun, but same as darksouls it's punishing if one is unable to learn from their mistakes.
The combat system is really nifty too, and personally I'd like to see more games like this.

But user there are :^)

This is a good and true post. From is very bad at game design. Even getting to the point of Demon Souls took many years and tries. Much of the fun is either accidental or littered with caveats, which is probably why replication is such a challenge. Even with Dark Souls 3 they messed up so much. Pretty much the only thing they're deliberate about is the level design.

Gas the gaming media tbh.

Ok, who let these animals in there?

>Gas the gaming media

REEEEEEE

If anything Dark Souls does borrow from SOTC's design and atmosphere, compared to DeS being King's Field with new combat.

neo-neo/v/ was truly a mistake

how are these anything like dark souls

Yes they are, fuckboy, unless you provide actual originals for them.

Is this the game user's were saying was being developed by actual commies or am I confusing it with something else?

It's Team Ninja so you're probably confusing it with something else

So if I were to buy a ps4, should I just get the normal one or is the pro one better?

Didn't FF13 predate Pandora's Tower

If you are going to buy a new one, I don't see why not buying a pro

Most reports I've seen about the Pro are unflattering , you might save some money by getting a refurbished one or a Slim or something

I'm about 80% certain that the drops were "salted" for the limited size of the demo to give players a taste of how the progression will go in the full game. A bit of vertical slice if you will.

The kappa in Nioh steals your souls amirita through your ass. That's getting into weird shit. Oh and that you can defeat tanuki and demon walls by using the correct gesture without a fight is something else too.

I miss the days when newfags like you knew to lurk before posting

So, how's that sci-fi Souls clone The Surge coming along? I thought their gameplay gimmicks looked pretty cool, with attacks divided by direction rather than strength and the ability to target specific body parts to sever them and copy their data for your own armor.

OP never said any of those games were original, he just said they inspired a bunch of clones. Learn to read.

Souls is just a clone of Blade of Darkness which is way more niche than Souls to the point that I don't think it's being legally sold anywhere anymore (although I still have access to my GOG license).

Fact is there's not many 3rd person melees w/ fantasy setting that try to non-DMC/Ninja Gaiden' styled combat. It's all either janky, japanese or spellshit. 3rd person fantasy slow melee is niche.

Anyway isn't there some game that looks like it has the same kind of gameplay and camera as Souls but with exoskeletons? Can't remember then name but there's demo videos out.

So you have nothing? K then.

They are nothing alike except for muh dark fantasy. I want this meme to end.
You might as well say that Rune or Jedi Outcast is what Souls are clones of.
Fucking retard.

noooo
nooooooooooooo
nooooooo

t. butthurt faggot who got rekt by every NPC and cried when he got killed by the boulder in ds1 and ds2

Combat all about timing/spacing.Bretty fuckin' hard (and is liked/known for it). Vulnerability for health potion. Conservative amount of enemies in favor of difficult combinations with ambushes, traps and terrain to challenge the player.

They're released at very different times and their inputs were designed around two completely different things one being KB/M and the other gamepad. But they're definitely the same in terms of the core aspects that got people liking it and what allowed Demon's Souls to become way more popular than anyone ever expected. I personally started to lose interest as soon as DaS came out and was disgusted with DaS 2 but Blade of Darkness and DeS to me still have similar appeal.

Souls is not niche at all now, though. It's so popular now it's the reason people bought launch PS4s. Its gameplay is not even a homage

Only mildly related but

Don't forget the backpack cuck and the user who sucked his brother's dick

He is not entirely wrong. Especially about the level geometry and getting caught on it while trying to dodge.

Because the souls games are the clone dumbass. They are a Legend of Zelda clone

Minus potion part sounds like a devil may cry. Wow, you really nailed it down mate. Everything is clone of BOD I guess.

It's not the first time I see this meme.
I wonder if anybody would actually bother to point out any similarities between souls and zelda apart from both being action games.

I am honestly surprised they even mentioned Severance Blade of Darkness, but not Gothic.

I… what?

Lord of Fallen
Let it Die
Nioh [sort of, like with Gaiden mixed with it]
Deep Down [vaporware but still]
That said, making a clone of this game is hard. Easier to make a FPS clone for obvious reasons.

Agreed

I don't know. Tell me, why are you here?

This. there are no premade Soulslikes for sale on the Unity storefront at least to my knowledge.

They both have swords.
CHECKMATE

Fixed it for you for future posting to upset souls fags

Your taste is awful. The series is fun, it's fun to dress up and customize and build a character, but the level design is piss poor and just designed to kill the player.

you're right, it's really hard to actively fuck up and make input lag a built in feature.

The hellkite drake will actively increase in attack power every time it hits you with the fire attack and for as long as it is fighting you, making it impossible to even block at one point. Armor has no effect on how much damage you take until you get up to heavy armor, and even then it's 10% less than what you would be experiencing. Enemies can enter off hand techniques while weapons are in their main hand. The distance between you and the enemy is how far the enemy can jump attack towards you.
Mind you, I'm not saying this is what makes it "hardest game evar 10/10," this is a bunch of bullshit that was put in the game to challenge the player but instead just puts them on completely uneven footing with the enemies, which would be fine if not for the fact that enemies will kill you in three hits no matter what if you're the right level for the section you're in. NG+ is also a travesty, and it's the only time where I've seen Holla Forums users praise a game for having damage sponge super canons for enemies.

Here's your mechanics, try and see if I left anything out:
Hitting dodge and then watching your character stand still for a second before actually dodging is not merely "input buffering"

cont.

If this were any other series these shortcomings would be pointed out with haste and no repercussions would be seen, but for some reason every souls fag has to sniff his own farts and pretend like From isn't just shitting out european armor and weapon dress up games

What level design? everything is a narrow walk way until it comes to a big wide open area that has goodies scattered about.

Let's just all try to improve the souls formula with some suggestions.

- enemies that can combine into formations with other enemies

- hand to hand combat with grappling

- flails

- half swording

- rapid archery

Now you might be wondering "Why?"
Because your garbage souls games killed Armored Core and I want revenge!

No but really these are terribly designed games and you people are battered housewives in need of a slap. Like them if you want but you're the one wasting hours of your life away.
Not all games are specifically designed to cheat you out of an hour (at minimum) of your gametime/life and then cheap you a death, then force you to rewalk/run that entire path again to try again and repeat the process - all with respawning enemies which, in narrow corridors, you can't just run passed and even if you might they will backstab you during the slow entrance animation to the boss area.

You are factually playing (and defending) games which are designed to cheat you out of your life.
You'll never get those hours back, user. They are gone forever.
Money can be recuperated. Objects can be repurchased or replaced. Even people in your life come and go, one after another, and you may or may not see them again.

But time? Time is here and then gone, and nothing can recuperate it, repurchase it, or replace it. You will never see those hours of your life back, and not just hours. Hundreds of hours.

You didn't just play Sonyborne. You played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Maybe you then played Dark Souls 2 and possibly even Dark Souls 3. And, if you got a PS4, the Bloodborne.

You realize how much time you've wasted, just pissed away retreading the same ground over and over for a cheap death? Recollecting those souls you lost because you were forced to dodge left and got caught in a corner? Then it was retreading all the way back, again and again.

You have any idea how much life you have lost because you wanted to git gud with these things? A lot more time than I've wasted typing this. Just imagine it, user.
For all the waste of time I got from typing this up with a smirk, you've wasted hundreds of hours more.

What are you doing with your life?

The Lords of Fallen devs are actually making a sci fi souls game right now but it blew way under the radar. Ni-oh looks good though and knowing Koei they will port that shit. Atelier is on PC because of them going on a port spree.

git gud

"Time" is eternal and fun things are fun. I had fun with my hundreds of hours with the souls series. Everything we experience in life matters and is not a waste of time. It's just a matter of perspective. Though I agree that the souls series is flawed in a lot of aspects and its popularity killing AC is a shame as well.

I hope it does get a pc release but with sony involved im not holding my breath.

This is factually untrue and the only thing you're proving is that Armored Core fans are somehow even more autistic than Souls fans, which is an accomplishment. You've been receiving games at a rate of at least one per year for a good 15 years and they haven't even stopped making them, TWO have come out since Dark Souls, and it still doesn't satisfy you people. You are completely retarded if you think Souls "killed" Armored Core or if you think you're an under-serviced fandom.

If you need it explained to you more simply, you're in the same camp as Mark, and that's not somewhere you want to be.

The vast majority of this can be said for most video games.

Source on image please.

If you strip everything from demon's souls and just leave the combat what you're left with is nothing special. At it's best the combat is more akin to a puzzle rather than an action game and the "difficulty" serves only to promote an oppressive and mysterious atmosphere rather than being the main focus. From itself forgot this (or decided to pander to the meme difficulty crowd for shekels) with Dark Souls and then the sequels strayed even further from that formula.

Interesting insight.

If you strip away everything but gameplay from any given soulsborne you'll end up with monster hunter.