Have you ever felt anguishing, painful nostalgia for an online game you will never be able to play again?

Have you ever felt anguishing, painful nostalgia for an online game you will never be able to play again?

The magic this thing had as a kid, a whole living world to explore and make friends. Why does time treat MMOs so badly?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20070208030436/http://n0valyfe.freehostia.com/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's only the grinding that I can't deal with anymore.

Runescape with leveling that was about 20x faster where I could just do quests would still be lots of fun.

Runescape is great you nerd

tf2

it was fucking amazing before the update last month

Yes. Rubies of Eventide.

I wish I could play the shit out of it again

Haha, good one

not really nostalgia, but holy fuck I want to play Ascend pre-bullshit

i was playing oldschool up to a couple of weeks ago with Holla Forums people.

but then everybody quit at the same time. Some of them got hacked, eventually i was alone in the CC and gave up too at the end of my bond.

at least i got questcape and 99 cooking.

We all do, user.

sometimes death is preferable

I'd rather go back to Tribes 2 in its heyday when there were a ton of players. There's TribesNext now, but it's just not the same since it's a ghost town.

Does your account have anything good on it? I still play a lot, and if you really are done, can I have your shit? I know I'm being a vulture, but still, if it's just gonna sit there.

no, you can't.

Fair enough. It was worth a try.

I liked EOC, it made alot of weapon classes that where otherwise useless good (Spears, 2h swords, halberds)

But those second life tier cosmetics made me quit, it was just jarring to look at.

I hear the community has gotten so gay that CASTLE WARS is fuckin empty.

To be fair, Castle Wars only really offers cosmetics as rewards, since the prayer bonus is outclassed by other items, if I remember correctly. The game is fun, but I imagine after a few thousand games you would stop wanting to get another copy of the same items for those tickets.

You bet your ass.
6 months and counting.

Tera's final Closed beta test was pretty fun
it was still pretty good when it released, but then they went fremium and nerfed the difficulty on EVERYTHING, ontop of having broke classes

Still hurts. Especially lately because I want to play a super hero mmo really bad.

But that's wrong. What it did was make all weapons the same. Armour too. Other than some of the new shit they added, all weapons of the same level (tier) have the same accuracy, damage and attack speed if you use abilities.

why not champs? It's still got some life in it.

Nostalgia mostly, and never play champs.

not like you're spoiled for choice tbh

True enough. Part of me just wants to sit around atlas park listening to this again and watching peoples edge lords and actual heroes walk by.

You can't go back to any game, the context is gone.

It wouldn't be so bad if games had continued growing as we did.

but you can do that on Champions online user, really…

I recently got back into OSRS, it seems like they added enough new things that it made the game interesting to me again.
When it first came back out, it felt fresh for a while but then after I got Barrows Gloves and all I had left was grinding, I got burnt out.

But I am getting back into it slowly and enjoying it, and mind you just doing f2p skilling. There is no game more comfy than RS, you can casually put on some music, watch a movie, etc. all while doing whatever you want in game.
Cozy as a mofo.
Some old and not so old pics

There are worse fates than death.

I quit WoW in mid-Cataclysm

I have. That's why I suddenly feel capable of going through life without constant depression and anxiety since I heard nostalrius is coming back.

i remember playing this shit back 07, holy shit that music is pure nostalgia, met a this chick and skyped with her. she was 22 emoish and i was 15 at the time. i completely forgot about her cuz i stopped playing that shit game when they updated it and made it worse. she mustve changed skype name cuz her last log in was 7 years ago. the music in the game was super comfy especially the mage woods area

I have for about 6 months ago, I played on Darkscape and played to my heart content due to the Free Premium system they had until Jagex decided to shut it down 3 months later because it wasn't making any money.

Then I went to RO private server and played that, 3 months later everyone got bored because we played everything there is to play, everyone hit maxed, newbies that joined at the last moment fucked off forever because they either hated the grind or they saw pop count gradually decreasing. I will never trust nostalgia again.

I get that the servers would've died off anyway if the devs stopped working on the game but they made them worse by continuously trying to update them and keep them fresh

Gloom, if that is you I am sorry. I never meant to leave forever. Maybe one day I will return

imagine was shit, it was an awful game with a coat of SMT paint.

I must have missed that feature, I just dicked around doing whatever, listening to the music and doing quests, and also remembered a great time trying not to die in this dungeon to get rainbow socks which I thought looked cool on other players.

I got into this after that update that everyone says ruined it, and holy fuck it was still the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. I had my own motherfucking TIE fighter.

Similar stuff to that.
Used to have a few obscure Dos games as a kid that I lost over time.

Found them online and had a brief feeling of nostalgia… before I realized they were the freeware version and the full version was lost to obscurity.

RIP

see

Say what you will, but it was a far better game than any of the modern MegaTen.

I don't think I'll ever play this game again.
The music in it is top-tier though.

we agree there.

There isn't a game that I won't ever be able to play again, but what I miss is that first time experience with a game. Miss that the most with Star Ocean 3 and Oblivion.

2004~2008 was a magical time for online gaming.

It was when MMOs were in their prime, getting millions of players.

Cherish the nostalgia and be glad that you were a part of this small window of opportunity.

I was going for all 99 skills when I quit. I remember being close to 99 RC. Shame I never got it. I played for 7 years. Now I have another game I'm putting my soul into. I won't let this one slip away. The first time, I was forced to quit over poor updates. This game doesn't get updates and it's singleplayer, so the only thing that can cause me to fail is myself.

My life was changed when this game died.

Which game is this, user?

i13 and NCSoft being massive lying kikes is what ruined CoH/CoV. They tried to chase WOW and fucked over their loyal customers in the process. I still remember when they canned Castle, because he wouldn't shit on us.

Of course, Age of Conan is another fun game that went to shit at around the same time CoH started going downhill. A few years later, we got Champions Online and SWTOR. CO was pretty cool at first, but then they decided to jew everyone with their online store. DCUO is a game where the jewry was taken to an extreme.

There are efforts to salvage COH, but they've mostly focused on getting the chat servers up and maybe the character creator from what I was able to tell. NCSoft won't ever let us get back on our old accounts, so those are lost forever unless NCSoft tanks and someone manages to grab that data.

Dont forget aion, that game was fun

this

and hellgate london was fun, shame my was shit at the time.

*computer

vscape did that somewhat. Not that high, but decently, to the point where yo ucould get to middle-levels fairly quickly.

Used to play a text-based political simulator game called Cybernations. Played it for 2-3 years. One of the reasons I left is because the community was changing in ways I didn't like, and the game was slowly stagnating and dying. I've tried going back, and it just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Hey, remember when Tibia was atmospheric as fuck? When you had to wait in lines in the stores? When you still spoke to the npcs using normal, public chat, one person at a time? When you stood around like a retard yelling "Selling: plate armor" for 6 hours? When paying for the game only meant "access to new cities and hunting areas" and not "buying exp boosts, skill boosts and instant potion/rune refills"?

RIP

Gone too fucking soon.

Runescape somewhat, although having tried it in the past few years I think I mainly enjoyed it due to being younger. I wish it was fun, but even if it had maintained its original quality I would probably still be bored of it today.

Game I am sad about is Wakfu, it was aiming to be a sandbox MMO early on, but Ankama slowly started scrapping it and making it more and more like Dofus, now it's slowly spiralling into P2W shittery. Meanwhile every udpate brings crippling bugs and they just keep shitting out horrible cosmetics. I got into the game in late 2014, a bit too late to experience the sandbox features, but had a blast with my first guild and an Holla Forums guild later on. I've been playing on and off since the Holla Forums guild died but I'm finally done with it, there have been changes for the worst even in the two years I've played, I don't think it's ever going to get better and I've wasted enough time on it already.

I fucking loved Narc's Bonds of Blood.

rip

br?

It's time for the adventure to begin

I was retarded and use to hang out on a server called "Gamers Table" and I forget the other ones name. Basically everyone there hacked their characters, and since they where all god they just sat around talking and stirring up drama. It wasn't till towards the end of NWNs lifespan that I started going to other servers. Before that I remember checking out Atomic Chicken and Epic Arena. The only servers I remember after that was one called Chaotic world, 2 different servers with a very similar gamestyle which I could only describe as proto-moba, a few RP servers, and one hardcore RP server more recently called Arelith.

Make that 3-4 moba-ish servers. One I remember being called "red mage" or something.

Another one was called Antiworld.

tfw you will never play runescape again for the first time.

JUST

Exploring the newly expanded world as a member for the first time was one of the best feelings as a kid. Dat fucking music, those locations full of function and shit to do, so comfy.

pl
Hunted
Hunted bitch

that's a good way to say over five years ago user

i im lucky(?) enough to be the kind of person who gets tired of online games relatively quickly. ill give them a shot and get tired of them in a couple of months. what i miss is the feeling of them being new and getting acclimated to a wondrous new place.
some of you guys make me regret not giving city of heroes a go while i had the chance though.

Because you didn't listen.

Why did Nexon have to ruin everything?

Because they want to make money, not good games.

Wakfu was always p2w considering that you could make multiple accounts like in Dofus, and that's bullshit jewry from Ankama.

I miss Tibia. Shame that they ruined the game years ago.

That's what the Trade channel is for buddy.

;_;

I played Dofus back in 2006~2010.

Can confirm, leeching and multi-accounting killed the game.

Before, everyone teamed up and did dungeons together, Dofus felt like an adventure. One of a kind turn-based strategy MMO where each class has its uses in combat.

Now Dofus is about leeching your way to lvl 100+ and all classes are the same. People create 8 accounts and play it like it's a singleplayer game.

Ankama admitted they made a mistake when they allowed MA'ing, but it's too late now because people have spent too much $$$ and there would be an outrage if they made it illegal.

Not only is MA'ing fine, but it is even encouraged. Ankama gets their money for each account that subscribes, and they don't seem to care that the game's quality spirals downwards. Dofus is practically unplayable for normal solo players now.

RIP Dofus.

Wakfu was always shit.

I kind of have it for Guild Wars. That game was in top 5 most beautyfull games ever made, and I bet it still holds up today.

I used to play WoW a lot as a kid. I loved it. My brothers and I would play it together, and it was enough of a staple of our lives that when South Park had that WoW episode my mom called us over to watch and I actually have a fond memory of watching it together. The first expansion pack came out and I played the free trial, but after that the fun just kinda stopped and my mom discontinued our subscription.
I still get nostalgic for it, but I don't want to pay a subscription fee for a game, and I know how shitty WoW has become from word of mouth.
I love the general feel of MMOs were you help others on big events, and I want that back. But apparently all the MMOs out there currently are trash. I got excited when I heard about a Dragon's Dogma MMO, but apparently that's shit too and only in Japan. So… Meh.

I wish we were back in the golden years of MMOs, where they were seemingly everywhere and you could get lost in that world with friends all day. But companies seem more focused on multiplayer shit like Overwatch instead. I want exploration. I want planning. I want to go on quests with friends, not just battle over and over.

I had started this game on a new freshly-opened server, man was this one of the most fun times I had in any mmo, too bad that it went to shit after 2.0.
I can't bring myself to play this game again, and even if I did, the server is a ghost town now.

This is not a bait, I've never just understood multiplayer games, or chatting/talking to others while playing.

I play vidya to get away from the world, not having to deal with others. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Speaking of Hi-Rez

Never ever again, RIP ;-;7

Yuri 27 4lyfe
fuck TSWolf
Fuck Tip
Fuck Dharma clan

Yeah fuck Jagex.

YES.

Fuck I need Face of Mankind back.

Vendor, buy me a glass of the guards finest from the bank, for I need a strong drink.

Requiescat en Pace.
Corp Por.
Kal Ort Por.

did you miss when Holla Forums was playing swgemu? I just checked now, everyone's gone kek

IIRC if you have a jailbroken PS3 there is a version of MGO2 with a hacked master server, allowing the game to still go on. The same team did the same for the original MGO, although I don't know whether you need a PS2 or a BC PS3 for it.

Coke Music. Fuck Habbo.

Not really nostalgia because it was too soon but I remember I dropped it during exams in my university.
When I came back everything was in flames. I even found myself a guild but they dropped it when they heard about death penalties being changed. Later it became even worse.

Runescape is not doing so badly.
They keep few servers for first version and keep old-school alive alongside the newest one.

And I replied to same post twice, time to go to sleep.

I'd love to to walk through Vesper or Trinsic again, but no way am I paying to play whatever incarnation the game currently exists.

I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a private server.

The issue with Runescape is that there's a feeling that's impossible to recreate because the creators are such goys that they don't understand why the magic was there in the first place.

I heard the company got bought out around the same time they started fucking up the game hardcore by making shitty decisions that no one at all wanted, like removing PVP from the wilderness and adding trade limits

One of the comments in the video posted hours before my post mentioned something about Shards Online, but I didn't bother looking it up because my expectations would be too great to enjoy it.

The issue is the barbie online level of microtransactions and runecoins they added.

That was late into the murdering process, one of their finishing touches. Also G.E. was a terrible idea that ruined the game and the desperate oldschool cash-in they had to make because ALAS YOU FUCKED UP CONSTANTLY AND SO HARD THAT YOU DROVE YOUR ENTIRE PLAYERBASE AWAY

Every day since Disney bought Star Wars I have lived in fear of SWGemu getting a C&D letter.

every game ever

I don't enjoy video games anymore

Really, the game made a lot of improvements after 2007. Their "real" fall came much later when they sold out to the goys.

What is wrong with the new Runescape?

Exteel was fucking amazing

I don't even know how to answer that question, the game suffered through so much reckless mismanagement and soulless cash-seeking.

Something more specific please? I'm not baiting or trying to act smug or anything of the sorts, I'm honestly curious what the game's problem is

Forgot to add pic unrelated

Remember rushing to lvl 20 so you could Fly For Fun?
I do

God damn, you reminded me of the times I tried out random MMOs and played them for a bit before quitting, really good times.

I want the 2000's internet, anime and video games back

Runescape 3? Full of microtransactions, cluttered world, auction house killed trading and butchered player interaction, overdeveloped the game not realizing that its simplicity was its charm, destroyed the simple visual style with generic overdesigned garbage, a history of shitty decisions like making a minigame a skill, removing the tutorial island in favor of some ostentatious action event that isn't representative of the game at all just to attract new players, and no one plays it anymore. You have to understand the timeline of events to see how disappointing it became. I haven't played it in years, no doubt it's worse by now.

it'll never happen

Touhou

You are. We are a very small minority. Bonus points if you never registered any social cancer accounts, even to see what is being linked to you by someone (like co-workers).

MMOs cannot be treated badly because MMOs do not exist anymore, only multiplayer lobby RPGs with optional chatrooms.

Everyone is the hero, everyone gets a legendary sword with minimal work, everyone has to wait for the cooldown before continuing progress, everyone gets their own chance at loot, everyone wins and thus no one wins. There is no challenge, no potential legend to be made, no outliers be it through sheer luck on a drop or endless hours of grinding to inspire the average joe logging on after work, no dangerous situations with real risk that inspire comradery and real friendships or break them apart. There is only tranny love triangle drama and dress up rewards.

Some fucker made something for unreal engine but I cant find the video.

No because I'm not a retard that plays games without p2p servers

This is a lesson I learned the hard way. The thought never crossed my mind when I was a kid. I thought I was going to be playing forever and that the game would still be good.

it hurts

Some Last Words...As posted on Tip.it, Runevillage, and Runescape Community.I feel obligated to write this letter to confirm and quell the rumors swirling around the top of the high scores. It's true that my membership expired on the night of November 3rd. It's also true that I retired from the high scores on October 24th. I've made no plans to renew or continue my adventures, even if it means the obvious drop in ranks and the absense of the Hunting skill appended to my character sheet.Of all the former rank one champions in Runescape history, I must be the shortest lived, having graced the rank for less than three cumulative weeks. Whether I earned this spot or not isn't for me to answer. All I know is that my fight was not for ranks or fame. I wanted to prove to myself that it was not only possible to attain a perfect skill total, but that it could be done intelligently, efficiently, and elegantly. In short, my work here was finished months ago, but instead I chose to complete the 200M xp cooking and fletching goals. From here, I could've continued indefinitely--thieving would be next, then combat, then trade skills such as crafting, herblore, and smithing, followed by independent skills in fishing, woodcutting, and mining--but it won't end on my terms until I draw the line. Given a choice, I would rather retire here amidst sweet victory than forge onwards and let time and complacency draw the curtains.Make no mistake, my appreciation of Runescape has not waned. If anything, it's grown a lot stronger. Ever since I acknowledged my retirement, I had the chance to examine my character, the community, the quirks and charms that make the game, and last but not least, the friends I've made, from an audience's point of view. This is Runescape. It's not the mindless repetition, or Jagex's customer service, or the addiction, or the hackers and scammers, or any of that nonsense the masses peddle out. It's the fact that Runescape exists, and as you play it, you miraculously transcend your meek existence to become an adventurer, and I was a part of it--no form of retirement can take that away.If I could give one parting piece of advice, let Runescape remind you that life must be lived as an adventure. Every gold piece you make, every ore you mine, every monster you slay, is ultimately towards your own heart's desires--why must anything you do elsewhere be different? When your time has come, keep not the weighted burdens of hardships and pains but the priceless gems of experiences, friendships, and passions imparted by the spirit of this game. Fellow Runescapers, may your best adventures lie ahead.Thank you all.N0valyfe,July 1 2004 to November 3 2006

It's been 10 years. N0valyfe was smart. He knew what was coming.

web.archive.org/web/20070208030436/http://n0valyfe.freehostia.com/index.php

God, my sister asked me to play this with her. She was magic caster I was tank. I loved playing it with her.

One day she suddenly died. Just was alive and then hit the ground dead. I did CPR but no luck. She was dead. I still remember the firefighters and EMTs moving me away from where she was and me holding out her mp3 player and being like "she might want to listen to this in the hospital if it's a log wait at the ER" and this off duty ICU nurse who was a neighbour and family friend who was helping the paramedics just looked at me, started crying and walked away.

That's when I realised she was really, 'actually for real not coming back they can't fix her' dead.

And we never got to defeat a clockgear on Flyff….

I remember playing RS before all the updates. I miss gettin on with my buddies in elementary school. We'd always chill out in the wilderness at the rogue tavern like it was our hideout.