ITT: Games where the enjoyment will be vastly reduced when the servers shut down. Pic related...

ITT: Games where the enjoyment will be vastly reduced when the servers shut down. Pic related, I love Splatoon's multiplayer but the single player is just so dull and nobody ever seems to really talk about it with reason, and with the announcement of the Nintendo Switch and rumors that there's going to be a Splatoon port or sequel, I'm just scared for the day they pull the plug on the Wii U servers.

I guess you might as well put games like Destiny, The Crew, The Division, online only games in general as well, because when the servers shut down your disk is basically a drink coaster unless people find a way to bring it back to life like people did with Metal Gear Online 2.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8jigea0Ph0pgUgrX5U-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good Splatoon is a shit game, that's only claim to fame is pandering to pedos.

Splatoon is a pretty fun multiplayer shooter since it has modes besides the basic Team Deathmatch, its just a shame if the servers shut down as theres no bot mode to my knowledge

Demon Souls

It's fun because the ink is a fantastic movement mechanic, and you're not simply dancing back and forth trying to hit people, but in a battle to control space to move and out maneuver your opponent.
Also the map design is very good.

The newer Pokemon games. Wonder Trade is fun even if it's shit, and GTS is great for filling out the Pokedex. They already shut down online for gen 4 and 5, because they shut down their DS services.

It's kinda depressing to think there's an entire segment of games out there that are going to be forever unplayable once their servers are shut-down.

Watching Ross's videos on online games getting killed off really hammered home how fucking terrible a practice it is.

Just play one of those chink ripoffs

Hasn't Wii U emulation shown promise?

It'll probably eventually reach a point where emulating Splatoon's muliplayer becomes the best way to play the game.

why does a batman game need servers?

"What's the most important thing about a video game? How bout being able to fucking play it?"

In all Honestly there needs to be a fucking law against MMO Deaths and Server-shutdowns

It's basically the act of taking the product away from a consumer, and it's the reason I don't play MMO's anymore.

I'm not investing all that time in a vidya just to have it shut down, you give use the fucking ability to host our shit, you faggots.

Wouldn't this apply to literally every online multiplayer game without custom server support?

MMO's should be a high risk high reward investment with server shutdowns requiring atleast 5 years of service. And if you MUST shut things down release that shit for private servers.

Let's be honest, we don't want them all to go full WoW and it would be fucking impossible to keep them going for eternity, but if you are going to make one you should be able to take the time to make it goddamn work.

Hell, the fact that it's so rampant a practice that he made an entire channel dedicated to it hammers home how fucking terrible a practice it is.

Yes

They don't release dedicated server tools at the death of the game for the off chance that the game gets popular again and on dedicated servers(Which means that they don't rake in all the money)

yeah, its kind of grim.

Ross covers that in extreme depth here.

Okay, not the right video. He mentions it, but it’s not what I was after.

That particular game actually had a multiplayer mode, tacked on to sell extra copies. It was actually pretty fun, although it was never very active.

It was basically a turf war between two gangs of thugs, with Batman thrown into the mix. It was actually a nice change of pace from the main game, as being Batman suddenly becomes a LOT more interesting and challenging when you're up against intelligent enemies who know how to look above them, always shoot the grates just in case, and carefully avoid walking directly under convenient overhanging gargoyles.

Thankfully, unlike something like Splatoon, Batman's multiplayer was a mere sideshow to the main game - you're not losing most of the gameplay when the server shuts down.

I wonder if it'd be possible to create private servers for Splatoon? We could bring back Splatfest. With hilariously inappropriate themes.

He has a channel reporting deaths like that though:
youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8jigea0Ph0pgUgrX5U-Q

For (You).

Not only that, there will probably DLC or digital only games that will be tossed into the void forever when the shop servers on consoles shut down. I dont even know if they'd even let you be able to redownload them. Heck we've already seen games like PT and Marvel 2 taken off PSN, I'd hate to see how worse it'd get.

It's gonna be a good while before Nintendo shuts down any Wii U servers for their popular online game and even when they do get shut down, there's ample warning to the closing date (and game already has sequels).
Devil's Third was given negative press and had low sales, leading to it's online being shutdown next month (shutdown announcement was made in July).

Splatoon single player was pretty decent considering the short dev time (even reusing slightly modified multiplayer stages for some levels and even the developers admitting that they think they could do a better single player mode next time).
Negative factors I will give that mode is the Gamepad map being useless outside some of the heavy Flooder levels (which feels like Pac-Man when using it), no high score/or points on how much ink used/not used to motivate you to replay them (outside of grabbing missed Sunken Scrolls). The limited ink challenges from the Squid amiibo should have been in game since they make you think about your limited ink usage instead of just "spray everything and anything."

A Splatoon sequel seems pretty guaranteed for the Switch (and rumored to be a pack in), I wouldn't be surprised if that version makes it's Wii U predecessor irrelevant.

Nice to see someone doing this.

I believe every online store allows you to redownload any game you have purchased for your account, regardless if the digital stores license to sell it has ended.

I know that, I mean when the 360/PS3 servers shut down forever and if it effects you being able to buy games that were digital only.

Don't worry goy. You can continue to enjoy Splatoon in the remaster version for the nintendo switch at the comfortable price of 1299 american shekels. Game is sold separately at 79 american shekels.

At the absolute least with Splatoon you can do that LAN mode. That exists, right? Good luck getting 8 Wii U's together though.

Hello, fellow squid.

Fuck I stopped played splatoon after I hit A+, before they added more ranks, I feel like coming back but I don't wanna get assraped by japs

Learn from the past.

Then play with us on the weekends. Visit the Splatoon thread.

I feel you on that one.