William's Arcade Classic Thread! What's your favorite arcade classic?

William's Arcade Classic Thread! What's your favorite arcade classic?
I really don't expect this thread to last even a day seeing how no one talks about these games despite being some of the best out there.

Other urls found in this thread:

vpforums.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pac-Land would be considered a timeless classic if its control scheme wasn't completely fucked

It's alright with turbo

Also, THIS is my favorite "Williams Classic"

Galaxian, I guess.
Cruisin' USA is also good.

That's Namco man. Though I guess arcade general, just so there's something to talk about.

Pinball Arcade is close enough for me. Works very well.
I'm sure there are even more realistic simulations out there, considering how much people bitch about Pinball Arcade's physics.

ZAXXON

Four to six year old me looooved Defender. Now, I can't stand it. Mostly because of the archaic controls.

Meanwhile, I took a liking to Moon Patrol, and can loop it pretty much indefinitely. Which is funny, because I really sucked at it as a kid.

WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY

I used to love joust when it was on bonus.com

Best arcade game ever created coming through.

If you can get the PS1 version of William's Arcade Classics it works perfectly fine with the PS3's native PS1 emulation. And you can easily play it with a controller that way instead of a keyboard, I had no idea the games would play that well with a PS1 port but playing Joust with a controller is so much better than playing it with a keyboard when one of the old computers I played games on had it installed.

Moon Patrol ate so many of my quarters as a kid. That music is so damn catchy.

Head on towards vpforums.org/ and do the email register shit. You won't regret it. Download v.9.2 if you have a toaster and v.X for high end. There are no new 9.2 tables coming out and v.X supply of Tables need a bit more time.

Pinball Arcade is indeed soft shit with shitty looking graphics and even worse gameplay. The vpforums guys spend hour after hour and week after week building one single table. Pinball Arcade was done by a handful of guys in 6 months. You tell me which has the better finish.

Yes email shit and download limits are also soft shit. But in this case its just the better option

Or, you could just as easily use your PS3 controller on the PC.

i guess it's Galaxian for me , since currently alzheimer's kicking in and i can't seem to remember what was the name of the other one

also who the fuck is William?

Williams refers to Henry E. Willams who founded William's Manufacturing Company that eventually became Willam's Electronic, Inc. Also, I think you're thinking of Galaga being the other game in the series, though I don't know if that came before or after.

no , it wasn't the same game series. The one i can't remember was sorta like Stargate Defender except you controlled a guy in a spacesuit that walked around the level , shooting aliens ,picking up power-ups for his weapon and had this jet-pack thing on his back you could use to double jump

Does Osman count?

Shit, you got me there, I have no idea what you're talking about other than some old dos games.

Pinball Arcade has been in constant development for a long time.
They have many teams working on it in tandem to bring a steady flow of 1 new table each month. And they don't just leave tables when they're done. They make updates when improvements can be made too.

And all the tables play like their real life counterparts. Each shot on the table has the right reactions for both direct hits and bricks, and you can learn how the real table behaves playing it.
You autists can get jazzed up looking at the formulas all you want; I don't need someone to tell me how these tables really are, because I know them. I don't see any serious problems in Pinball Arcade

Would balloon fighter fit into this category?

This is the only one I have.

What the fuck happened to google image search, why does it suck so much now?

They don't play like the real deal at all. Now I know you are just talking out of your ass. I mean you have tried VPinball and Arcade shit at the same time? Because you really did not. I did and one is clearly inferior. Just give it a try nigger its free.

Sounds like something Rare made long ago.

You are thinking of Jetpac and Lunar Jetman. Those were Speccy games, though. They were never released as any form of arcade cabinet.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

I wish there were more games that used the fact that they were not bound to reality and have fun with the table and placing new objects on the table.
These are all from 3DRealms' "Balls of Steel" game, lots of fun. Never really appreciated pinball games before rediscovering this one couple of months ago.

I fucking loved this game too. The design is also very similar to the Mako from the first Mass Effect, which may be why I liked the Mako sections that everyone else apparently hated. That and the fact the Mako sections were the only time you actually got to do any exploring and adventuring on fucking sci-fi worlds in what was supposed to be an RPG.

Pretty sure the Star Wars Trilogy pinball table I loved as a kid was a Williams table.

Also, this thread needs Robotron love.

Galaga was the only classic game I knew any tricks for. Everything else is kind of a "2 or 3 quarters and never play it again" for me. I would much rather play pinball.

Jambo Safari is GOTYAY.

I played the everloving fuck out of this when I was a kid. Spy Hunter, Paperboy, Sinistar, Smash TV, Roadblasters and Klax were my favorites.

None of the re-releases of Defender keep the original control scheme as far as I know. I've heard that the original controls are much better. Is that true?

One of the greatest enemies ever made.

sinistar sticks in my head because its so unique. sinistar himself is such a ridiculous and amusing character and the game is this panic inducing fun that we rarely ever get to experience. there arent that many games where you have to shift your ass in to overdrive while your enemy gains strength.
theres never really been a sinistar successor. the closest thing i can think of are rts games, but youre usually on equal footing there. there are never BEWARE I LIVE moments where suddenly the game shifts in to a mode where you could get ripped apart as soon as you make a mistake.

GO PLAY IT

I've always really enjoyed this one, despite it being a QTE game. Honestly, I think it's far superior to Dragon's Lair. It helps that I also love the first two Lupin III movies, which is what the animation is reused from.

That would involve figuring out how to work a whole lot of things on your PC including finding an unofficial copy of the game itself since it's not for sale somewhere like GOG. As well as getting controller emulation running with an old game, both things of which seem hard to do on a modern OS for a number of games. At least with your PS3 it's just a plug and play thing and you don't have to worry about getting a controller to work or not.