In your opinions which genre in video games requires the highest amount of skill on average at any level compared to...

In your opinions which genre in video games requires the highest amount of skill on average at any level compared to others?

Picture is sort of unrelated to anything because posting any game seemed like I was being bias.

crpgs

besides anything either at hyper-autsim realism levels like simulators or games with super steep initial learning curves to keep normalfags out, I'd say.

Super Smash Brothers Melee :^)

I came here to say this and I also noticed that Mama's Dogdick was on sale, wut do?

Games that you play against other players

Pirate it and play only with your main pawn.

but I wanted to buuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyy it!

lmao

For single player, rhythm games. Tight timings, no AI opponents to abuse and requires a lot of motor coordination even if you know every note.

For multiplayer, literally anything, as long as there's no/very little RNG. Your opponent is what will define the difficulty, after all.

There is no such thing as skill in video games, only egos afraid of this revelation

STGs by far. The average player will never one-credit-clear a mid-level STG (e.g. Gradius IV or DaiOuJou Black Label) in his life, let alone get a meritable score.
Number two? Puzzle.

Cool dude, thanks for the great contribution with this deep message.

I fucking love dodonpachi

these games require no skill, just knowledge

fighting games OP. It's pretty obvious.

No, because fighting games don't have to be played with other people (or with people with skill). Fighting games against AI rank among the easiest.

why would you play solo? Fighting games are meant to be played with other people

Are monster girls still popular?

I don't think there's a single genre that requires the most skill. Each genre demands a different skill from players. But to know the answer, just look at what genres casuals stay away from and those will be the same genres amaze people when they see someone playing it well. Embeded is an old Puyo Puyo tournament. Even puzzle games can require a ton of skill when competing with others.

Fighters, shoot em ups, SRPGs, FPS (mainly arena shooters) and competitive puzzle games. Each require a different set of skill and it's mainly only shoot em ups where the player is specifically going against the AI and not human players. Some would say memorization isn't a skill but I doubt those people who say that could memorize the exact safe base of every boss and every zone in Mushihime-sama or Dodonpachi. Even if they played through it many times.

Even if people want to consider Melee a party game, I seriously doubt most of Holla Forums is even good at it. Party games don't rely on skill and are made to be played easily by everyone. Melee is only a good party game at the most basic of levels but it has so much depth and shares many aspects with a fighter that people just label it a fighter. On the case it calls it a Fighter and 3D-Action Game if anyone cares.

sempai please tell me about this "other people".

That's not the game being difficult, that's other people being difficult.

On average I'd agree Shmups are the hardest genre. Or maybe Grand Strategy Games. Roguelikes (the real ones) are up there too.

Games can be played competitively and head-to-head. Whether it's against the AI or another person holds no bearing. Fighting games are still the most challenging.

Stop being bootyblasted you can't even dragon punch.

grand strategy games aren't hard, and luck isn't a skill. this is a thread about which games take the most skill, and that would be fighting games.

No, but planning and mitigating bad outcomes is.

Devil May Cry-type

hentai visual novels

Yah that's why they're played mainly by brs and naggers LMAO

Single player: Anything that requires multitasking, good reaction times and good hand-eye coordination. That means STGs with random patterns, platformers with random patterns, and DMC beat'em ups with random patterns. Memorization is not a measure of skill.

Multiplayer: Old gookclickers in first place, fighting games and FPS in second.

Someone must have forgotten fighting game bosses. Even with the jump loop he was lucky the General didn't just spam projectiles. Let him go and he's going to win. There's also Parace from Arcana Heart 3 but she can be cheesed by using mirror and her own super against her.

Apologism for bad videogame design. Being punished for things completely out out of your control might be realistic, but it's not fun or intuitive. Combine that with the fact that with many games reliant on luck, unluckyness often percipitates into a downward spiral that can very rarely be midigated and can come too early for you to do any truly measurable damage reduction.
The two most obvious games are DD and Out there. In dd if you get a string of krits early into a dungeon you may be forced to retreat because you used your supplies early. Retreating puts a negative malus on your characters, you don't gain extra money required to treat those maluses or buy new supplies.
In out there, if you get a string of rocky planets, or helium poor gas giants, you don't have enough tech or Cargo space to get enough fuel to keep going, 90% of runs die before you even have to worry about your warp-range being too small to continue

Not an argument. Bosses usually have overpowered moves or read your inputs. They aren't hard because they play better than you, they are hard because they have advantages that normal characters don't have.

As much as I love Devil May Cry except for the original US release of 3, the easy and normal modes are pretty forgiving.

I'd say Ninja Gaiden 1/2 or Bayonetta 1 require more skill to pass the default Normal mode. I cant speak for the easy modes since I never played them (but Ninja Gaiden Black on easy does give you unlimited scrolls of rebirth making the game impossible to lose)

The question wasn't "Which game has the best AI" you retard.

Beating overpowered fighting game bosses still requires a high degree of execution and knowledge about the game since the boss abuses the shit out of the basic mechanics.

Let's play Magic the Gathering.

So, you got rekt and now you are salty. Got it fam, stick to AOS games.

auto also doesn't require much thought, but we're talking about on average
easy and normal are casual tier, but hard, son of sparda, legendary dark knight, hell or hell, and dante must die all make up for this, bringing the average back down to, "Are you gitting gud yet?"

Those are some nice dubs, but you sound like you don't really have an argument

i want to agree, but its certainly something that can evade me. i think being able to consistently perform an action could be considered skill though, if you consider precision a skill.

unpredictability can indeed be fun>Memorization is not a measure of skill.

Is this one of your fellow chromosome hoarders ROFLCOPTER

Ok, here's my argument: The guy I replied to doesn't know what a button masher game is, and he must be really bad at fighting games to make such shit arguments against them.
Not to mention that guy still haven't said what genre he think requires the most skill. He's one of those pussies who's afraid to state his own opinion, but eager to shit on others.

Pussy.

I did, cocklord.

what an amazing response

Wait, you seriously think that RPG games are the most skill driven? I thought that was a joke so I ignored it like the shitpost it was ahahhahaha you are more retarded than I thought. Those games are literally the LEAST skill driven games possible. You can literally sit there and grind for hours to beat every boss. Holy fuck you are a retard!

I can't tell if you're shitposting really hard or a super hardcore newfag, LOL

Yes. RPGs > button mashers any day. It's a fact, look it up, kiddo.

You can be excellent at Touhou, because almost every spellcard has a predefined pattern, and you can play them over and over again until you beat them.
However, arcade STGs will make you lose over and over again with random bullets, no matter how good you are at Touhou.
I think that memorization is not a good measure of skill because it doesn't transfer horizontally between different games, while reaction times, multitasking abilities and hand-eye coordination are skills that can be applied to a good range of different game genres.

RHYTHM GAMES, PURE SKILL, ==ZERO RNG==

Phone games for women.

Why are you here if you're clearly not enjoying your time here.
Gonna guess a faggot then.

I'm sure my parent is at like level 1800 in candy crush saga, I didn't know I am the child of a gaming god

Tell me a good animu in your opinion to watch while you're here

You are. Your mom is a professional gamer.

I should feel ashamed of playing F-Zero GX on master. I should drop my baby games and play some hardcore shit like Candy Crush.

No I said a good animu in your opinion, not for someone, what is a "GOOD ANIMU IN YOUR OPINION", fucking hell after reading all those subs I thought you'd have learned to read by now.

Games involving caring for your Neps.

fighting games or arena shooters i would bank on. to be decent at a fighting game you need to know all your moves, how to perform them, what moves your enemy can do, what moves of yours can be used to counter them, along with reflexes to block mixups.

and arena shooters you need high reflexes, map knowledge, understanding of how your weapons work and how the enemies weapons work, and being able to aim and shoot consistently while moving at high speeds

heh

i love bayonetta but i do feel its easier than DMC or ninja gaiden because of how witch time allowing the player more time to react to the situation around them

sigma 2 was a fucking abortion, razors edge is better by miles somehow

Input reading is a problem in fighters no matter what. It's one of the few ways they can simulate them reacting and learning to your attacks. The other way is having them adapt by copying the player like they did in Brawl.

That applies to video game bosses in general. They have more health, hit harder, have better attacks, and sometimes don't even play by the same rules as the player.

Besides, fighters are meant to be played against real people. To play exceptionally well requires a ton of skill. People would think you sound silly if you said you don't need skill to play fighters because you don't need to play people, when it's about playing others.

I keep hearing people say Sigma 2 was awful but what made it so bad? Its been years since I've played it. The only thing I remember was taking away most of the sub weapons. Saying that, the changes to the bow over the original was a much better idea. Fuck the stage 2 tunnel worm boss in the original.

one of my biggest issues with sigma 2 is they really fucked up the weapon upgrade system, when you get the a upgrade station instead of spending money to upgrade your weapons it pigeonholes you into getting one upgrade per station, and doesn't let you max out a weapon until later in the game, so you can't max out your favorite weapon early on, this also means you gather tons of in-game currency you can't do anything with. It also has less enemies per battle due to either hardware issues or developer incompetence. toned down gore isn't game-breaking but its certainly disappointing when the blood and gore in 2 was so great

agreed

Holy shit I forgot about all of that. Man no wonder I didn't play it much again. Razor's Edge is definitely better but damn does it have content from 3 that is lame. Like that giant heli boss that's just not fun to fight what so ever. I don't mind variety, but don't make the boss lame to fight. It also lacked enemy variety.

i did like how REs replay system worked that cut out all the story elements, and having lots of characters to play was nice

fighting games like KOF, Street fighter and blazzblue, and no, smash is not a fucking fighting game, that fucking autistic piece of shit , i mean we got retards playing real fighting games but come on smash is full of it.

Smash is a fighting game, get over it nerd.

3D action and fighting game. Games can have multiple genres. And even if it weren't a fighter, it requires a lot of skill to play.

More specifically Smash is a subgenre of "fighting game". Some people call it a platform brawler. Sure, whatever. But it's still a fighting game. It couldn't be called analogous to traditional fighting games because it actually has different mechanics than the same shit fighting games have been rehashing for the last twenty years.

Fighting and RTS

yes, there is even a board about it

The biggest problem I find is people call it a party game. Yet notorious party games simulate board games. The closest things are brawlers like Jump Star Heroes for the DS but Smash shares so many mechanics from fighters like spacing, block stun, it's own cross-up system, super armor, and more. It's not like SF2 but it does many things that's common with the genre. Then again, it's not just a fighter.

I visit /monster/ every once in a while. It can be a chill place unless anyone mentions anything outside what's established. No cheating, no guro or life threatening violence, or very /d/ things. However it's a very chill place despite that. I go to /monster/ to chill and it's good for that. I just want an excuse to post a monster girl

to be honest I'd rather have it pure, you should look at other MG hubs like Touch Fluffy Tail or the MGE wiki. or even MGU which has a massive hardon for gore and abusing MGs. I think it's honestly for the better /monster/ is pretty much hand holding and consensual sex.

MGU and TFT are starting to show signs of furshit infestation because furries are buttmad about MGs. Turns out most of the people bitching about MGs turn out to be furshit

It's also an issue of passing shit off well in stories, I've seen things on /monster/ with some of the stuff but it's thought out and not just there for the shock or fetish factor.

Fighting games and FPS's are probably the hardest genres that require genuine skill. All other genres either dont require as much skill, or just involve know-how.

most FPSes don't require skill because bullet magnetism. Not to mention hitscan removes the need to learn how to lead shots.

Are we talking about most fps games now, I.e shit ones? Or are we talking about the genre itself and what it has been capable of, and is capable of?

Because we all know easy mode shit games are easy.

most FPSes are part of the FPS genre, so yes we are. And before you haul out the 4 whole games to prove your point we need to look at the genre as a whole.

RTS, obviously.

RTS has virtually no skill ceiling. High skill RTS having enormous macro and micromanagement, there is always something to improve on.

It's also on this month's Humble Monthly, so you could just sub to that for this month, get it and other games for like the same price, and then unsub.

riddem game

fighting games and rhythm games.

nig the reason why arcade shmups are generally prefered over touhou is that they are more well structured and less random, both touhou and arcade shmups can be destroyed with perfect memorization but it isn't exact a bad thing since they encourages mental exersize more than any other genre out there.

any shmup player consistent with their routes can easily transfer over to another genre if they please, "reaction time" is just a form of muscle memory and shmups are all about memory

Shmups are the only considerable answer.

how reliant are shmup players on knowing the whole game though? I mean, they have better reflexes and rhythm than someone playing a jrpg, but it's still just execution based primarily off of game knowledge and not necessarily some innate skill.

Tough choice.

You got RTS for gookclicking, which you can practice way past the point where it's fun.

Quack has that thing where you rocket people from around corners using prediction alone.

Fighters have that "I could have learned an instrument but instead I memorized all these button inputs" factor.

Fighting games, easy. I can't play them to save my life.

If we did that then no genre would require skill.