Why don't console FPS just let people plug in a mouse and keyboard so the game can actually be functional?

Why don't console FPS just let people plug in a mouse and keyboard so the game can actually be functional?

Other urls found in this thread:

steigerdynamics.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=375&time=2016112319477
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck off Contrarian PC user.

I don't know, every brand of console has had USB ports for two generations now.
And even when PS4 added gyros to their controller, nobody used it for shooters either.

Do you even know what that word means?

Its cuckchan terms for "stop making fun of my shit taste"

no really. what the fuck is with all these shit threads.

Because
1. consoles didn't have shooters for quite a while, and in that time discovered that controllers are better for platformers
2. The people who buy consoles want to be able to sit on their couch or bed and not at a desk to be able to play videogames
3. In the current climate, adding a KB+M support would be the nail in the coffin of the illusion that current gen console are anything other than shitty overpriced PCs

Why don't you make a thread you didn't make last week, OP?

Ruggas back I guess

Because that'd kill competitive play with the controller. It'd mean everyone has to use a mouse and keyboard, since that's an objectively better control system.

I'm using my Keyboard and mouse to type to you from my couch right now.
For anyone with half a brain that ship has sailed.

I didn't realize this was neogaf

Because without segregating M/KB users into their own multiplayer pool, the games would be unplayable for gamepad users and sales would be shit. A mid-tier reasonably competent player on M/KB can smoke a top-tier pro playing with a gamepad, even with all of the built-in autoaim cheats they cram into console FPS so gamepad users think they're better than they really are, when the game is almost playing itself.

Redditors trying way to hard to fit in by memeslinging, posting one line greentexts while posting generic reaction images, shoehorning politics into everything, etc.

How? Is it just resting on your lap?
Normalfags and most people who bought current gen consoles lack a brain.

A mouse and keyboard are like $5 and pretty much everyone already owns one. By that logic racing wheels and fighting sticks shouldn't be allowed because they help their users.

It's shitposting when you made the exact same thread last week

You're behind the times. HTPCs are huge and there's all kinds of comfy solutions.

I've actually just been putting up with it on my lap. It's really not that bad given my couch is sturdy so the mouse doesn't roll randomly when I let it go. That said; what the fuck is that thing and how can I buy one?

People have been asking for mouse and keyboard support for years newkid.

Adding KB+M support kills the eSports meme. Imagine all the top CoD players and their fanboys suddenly getting bopped by players using proper controls.

I don't own a console and it is shitposting to make the same threads asking the same questions over and over again with the only intention being to start a shitposting war.

Your argument fails when CoD is on PC too.

But the only shitposters are the faggots saging and multiple anons can ask for the same thing.

COD is very unpopular on PC though.

Are you for real? I'd say it's just as popular, if not more.

Fighting sticks don't provide any mechanical advantage over something like saturn pad, and while wheels do provide a very slight advantage, it's not even remotely on the same level as M/KB vs Gamepad in a shooter or RTS.

There's all kinds of comfy lapdesks, that one in particular is the couchmaster :^)

steigerdynamics.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=375&time=2016112319477

So is Overwatch, that doesn't mean it wasn't made for consoles in mind.

COD has consistently been the most played multiplayer game on consoles for years. It has never been the most popular on PC. It also sells most of it's units by far on consoles.

Multiple anons asking the same question, worded the same, AND with the same OP picture? You're trying way too hard to defend OP.

This is the first time I ever made this op. Why not link to the other ones that supposedly exist. But even then this is a pretty popular gif.

And Overwatch's comp scene is on PC, so again you have no point. Also way to completely get everything I said wrong just so you can move goalposts and shitpost more. You made this thread before only to incite shitposting. You got caught. Get over it.

Consoles don't let users do stuff because they're afraid their users will find it all too complex.
And they're right.

It's not. Not even close.

That doesn't mean anything. Smash was made for the 3DS in mind but it's comp scene is on the wiiu.
Are you going to post proof or just keep shitposting?

asking questions isn't shitposting. asking the same question over and over and over when the only point of the thread is to incite a retard slapfight among people who own platforms with different stickers on them.

There are people who play competitive RTS with a gamepad?

I

Just admit you are mad people are criticizing consoles.

Thanks for the link user. I am going to buy the fuck out of one of those. Even better it will finally let me use a wired M&KB.

So you aren't going to post evidence and just keep shitposting. Ok user.

They try

It's no mouse, but it's lightyears beyond analog stick.

People are willing to make games that require you to buy a plastic guitar to play. At the very least games should expect you to own a 5$ mouse.

It would disrupt the control-type parity and make it unfair for people who don't have kbm. Pretty simple stuff.

But the Wii U version was planned first

Better question is why don't devs/pubs allow users to fully configure all bindings, do they think their audience is stupid or what?

So is all the other "Competitive" things that people use in games, the biggest difference is that everyone already has a mouse and keyboard.

Doesn't matter. They made it with the 3DS in mind. They even cut characters because of it.

Racing games aren't blocking compatibilty with wheels and pedals, and that shit is way more expensive than a m&kb.

Examples? Because he pretty much /threaded with that answer.

Steering wheels

I rest keyboard on my lap and use a small rectangular children's footstool I found at Target or somewhere for the mouse. Tshirt wadded under the stool to anchor it and good to go. Not recommended with no pants.

I have not seen any conclusive evidence on racing wheels being a major advantage/disadvantage on par with kb+m vs controllers.

It's 2015, it's high noon we found the ultimate solution for the console problem.

Can't speak for the new "cycon" version, but I've fucked around with the older one (called Premium, I think) friend has a ridiculous HTPC setup, wall projector and all. The build quality was great and it was actually more comfortable than sitting at my desk.

You're right, but those gimmick games are 100% based around the peripherals, and you can just pick up and use them. I think it's too late in the game to start doing that for FPS.

Give people the option to play with a controller but they probably wont since
and

Oh and also
What about single player shooters then?
What kind of unfair advantage would I have if I wanted a single player FPS to actually be functional control wise?

That's because they're a placebo vanity purchase. Or you buy it for immersion.

I read kids already complain about this

The problem is that much like the guitar hero peripheral, you can just pick up a gamepad and use it. You can even walk around with it. No setup or surface required. M/KB require a stable surface. Racing wheels do too, but those are seen more as luxury items and again, even in a multiplayer setting there's minimal difference between them and a stick from a practical point of view.

I don't see anything wrong with allowing it in SP, but then you'd either have to lock the game down and restrict the peripheral from being used in multiplayer (huge backlash) or allow it and face the problem I mentioned earlier (huge backlash). Console users seem more than happy with gamepads + auto aim, so from my point of view Sony/Microsoft stand to lose more than they'd gain by enforcing M/KB support.

I honestly just wish they'd to stop releasing consoles as gimped, locked down PCs that are comparable hardware-wise to whatever was mid-range 3-4 years before the console is released. What the fuck happened to console games running at a solid 60FPS? Most games have dips in the TEENS, and still look like ass. How is this acceptable?

Considering how crazy COD fags are for their KDR they would probably either use a keyboard and mouse or deny that it makes them better and just be shit on.
A stable surface is also pretty cheap to get. Just get a laptop holder or something.

The whole thing's simply a contrived way to further contribute to consoles' continued insistence that they aren't just underpowered PC's. It's a manufactured divide, is all.

Why didn't the wiimote for aiming catch on, that was far better than a stick

The unfair advantage is called "having enough brains to use superior devices".

if you want to laugh check comments under xim4 vids, exactly like that people are pissed

I have a feeling that wouldn't work very well. Stick movement algorithms are an artform. There's too much stuff going on for a mouse to "pretend" to be the stick. As a basic example, many games mess with the lookspeed as you're looking. You could tilt the stick 60% to the right at which point the movment increases by 40%. This would be a shitshow with that thing.

we don't all have such copious fat folds to hold the keyboard and mouse as you do, user

Laziness and pushing for more graphics. More CPU work is needed for more button and variable inputs.

Analog Sticks has less variables to work with it then gyros, touchpads or mouse functions.

What jewery is this?

I do it all the time.

Use your brain for once in your life, and you will finally understand.

It was a simple inquiry regarding peripherals, you ass alarmed pinko.

You both need to drink bleach.

They did actually, you can play UT3 on PS3 with keyboard and mouse

Good point.
Why don't more devs do this?

But you can

Can you give some examples?

My brother played Battlefield 1 with a keyboard and mouse on an XBone S.

Actually, Killzone 3 and Mercenary used it to rather nice effect as a "Fine Aim" adjustment when in ADS. Made sniping feel so much better.

Keyboard and mouse are overrated tbh

Hi, Sim-style racing leaderboards called, you're a retard.

dust 514

You're lying. Or just smurfing, which is still lying.

Usually the increased ergonomics are able to make up for lack of look response resolution. Granted there are pro players who actually know how to truly take advantage of the mouse and those are the guys that get me. Using a gamepad for me is a necessity because my main battlestation is a Laptop

Should hang your self lad.

Can you post proof of this? Google isn't showing anything.

Actually, there's a very small pool of ps2/3 games that do let you use a m/kb natively, and by small, i mean small. There's also accessories that let you map controller inputs into a mouse/keyboard or just emulate the controllers..

Why the fuck would they block the United States from viewing?

There are some accessories, like the Splitfish and others like it, that allow for the use of a mouse, but it's always attached to either an analog stick or half a controller. That and these games are designed for consolefags who aren't used to having to press more than two keys to select weapons even though being able to select what you need with the press of a single key is much easier. That, and many console FPS games have aim assist that cannot be toggled off so as to mitigate the cumbersome nature of aiming with an analog stick.

lol pwnt
MODS = GODS

This.
It's extra funny because they still get aim assist.

CoD will never be anywhere as popular on PC as it is on the consoles. Popularity isn't what I was talking about anyway. CoD and similar console-FPS games are big money these days with the eSports crap they have going on. Popular teams have been established, sponsored, and tons of tournaments are organized with tons of money dumped into them.

Imagine these snap back wearing, redbull chugging, razer sponsored dude bros walking on to the stage to face a team that no one ever heard of. Imagine that other team is using kb+m exclusively and has put at least a week into the game to learn the maps.

Who wins? I say the nobodies. They would easily slaughter the team using controllers no matter how experienced they were. Assuming an even playing field of course (auto-aim and bullet curving). Even with an uneven playing field where only the team using controllers got that edge the KB+M team would still probably win 9 out of 10.

If I'm wrong how come "third party controllers/adapters" aka the thing that makes KB+M work with the console banned at these events?

The xim4 is actually pretty good. When I still cared about playing with the L4D1 community on 360 I got to use one. It isn't as fluent at the real thing but it's close enough to piss off everyone else in the server. In that particular game you have to combine it with a save file hack to modify your sensitivity. Which everyone agreed was within the rules of our comp. scene but suddenly it was no longer okay when paired with a mouse. I wonder why.

they already tried this with the awful Shadowrun FPS. the PC players dominated so hard that for the game's entire lifespan they kept patching it trying to level the playing field and flat-out couldn't do it

A year or so ago, I read some shit about this.
Here's what I remember about it:
Some console devs were worried about it because it would split the userbase. Most console players play on the couch. So the mouse isn't really an option for them (with keyboard being fine, since it can rest on their lap). If people wanted, they'd get a few solutions like for instance. But some players already blew their money on the game itself or another controller for two player games and wouldn't really want to to buy yet ANOTHER thing to use a mouse.
Problem is, if they didn't, they'd get destroyed in any game when paired with someone using a mouse.

You could (and should) instead ask about bringing light gun controls back. Or some other derivative. Only saw the Wii try that out.
A dedicated peripheral for shooters seems to be the way to go, but third party companies won't do it, so it's gotta be sony or Xbox to do so. But they don't want to start manufactoring a peripheral if it turns out no third party uses it either. Sony is already investing in VR now, so they're about to start anoter gambit on that one. And Xbox is microsoft. I don't own it, but a Killer Instinct I know told me the game "scans" your gamepad to make sure you have an authetic Microsoft xbox gamepad. Third party simply ins't suported. Legit reason would be to disable turbo- controllers (guess it's a problem in that game? don't know the mechanics well enough to comment). The actual reason could just be microsoft wanting to sell their overpriced gamepads.
Hardware DRM, kill me now.

A few on ps3 did along with mods support in games like unreal tournament 3.