RTS Thread - Gooks can't into RTS Edition

Chart guaranteed to cause butthurt and comments about why "Obscure game X I only ever played" isn't on the chart.

Other urls found in this thread:

community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/243342/winter-balance-preview-mod-feedback
moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds/news/rise-of-the-reds-187-update-6
moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds/news/rotr-187-update-7
t3dstudio.ru/files/mw/MarsWarsv35.zip
forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=12182&pid=137405&st=0&#entry137405
mediafire.com/file/ywsgqva7iiu7tlx/ROTR_187_PB_1_0.zip
imgur.com/gallery/0Bflh
imgur.com/gallery/GxUFH
youtube.com/watch?v=-Szn9IwWQq4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where is Men of War?

RTT faggot.

custom maps is the most fun you can have with RTS

Pretty good, only real complaint is why Rise of Nations is so low; its one of the few games from this list I still play pretty regularly

Perhaps because while it is a good game, it is rather rocks paper scissors and very basic when it comes down to it?

If this was supposed to be bait congratulations consider me baited, you fuck. It's not even comparable to the great tier games, so it would be somewhere in the higher echelon of good tier.

I can live with that.Even though Lost Souls was imbalanced as fuck

God dammit user
I completely agree with you

Why is Stronghold Crusader there twice? Isn't the EXTREME version just an updated one?

And Company of Heroes isn't?

This guide reigns supreme

why?

Technically RTTs are a subgenre of RTS
Tactics does still count as an aspect of strategy, RTTs take it a step further and make the whole thing about tactics

Extremely shit :^)

That chart is an abomination.

wheres age of empires 3?

This chart is pure cancer. Why would anyone looking to get into any kind of strategy game want to start with RA2? What the fuck does that have in common with something like Alpha Centauri another than the umbrella genre that is "strategy".

Good Tier
Its not Gook garbage and the game does have some quality elements meaning its above garbage

Unfortunately due to a few significant changes to gameplay regarding resources and city shipments, AOE2 players will always call it complete and utter shit, which is a bit unfair
Although i cant quite blame them, i too would be pissed if the last game in a franchise i like turned out to be subpar
Still it wasnt what caused the death of the AoE franchise back then and now that AoE HD has come out i suspect AoE2 players will soon forget about their unjust hate

im not big into RTS games. the few i've played are company of heroes, starcraft, and age of empires 3. what was different between 2 and 3 that caused the hate? my main complain with the game (and most RTS games) is the unit limit. remove or increase that and turtling becomes viable. my biggest complaint of RTS games is they dont last long enough. only in single player do you ever see the late-game units.

If you allowed people to make massive 1000+ armies on each side building a bigger more quality empire would be more advantageous instead of it being more about a race.

Play Total Annihilation, or if you can Supreme Commander. It integrates gigantic amount of units (iirc TA can handle 5000+ units per player with a simple .ini hack) with a good enough economic-based balance that makes early Tier 1 units be as useful as advanced Tier 2 and experimental Tier 3 and 4 units in their respective roles.

Unlimited resource generation,
Now everyone was capable of having relic equivalents, which made using workers for gathering resources apart from wood post first on second age pointless
Well except for india, Fucking workers cost wood which means you have a fucking huge amount of workers on wood
The city shipments were unkind to early players due to experience cap as well as general unbalances in them, Some teams might seem pathetic early game like china, but a china at lvl 50 with the right city shipments is far superior to even the fucking ottomans
Unit unbalances were also present, personally the game just needed more balance patching which was never going to happen thanks to the franchise being killed off (temporarily)
Also the unit caps varied wildly, which was a huge difference from old AOE 2 games
Worse even was that some units had different caps, you could never spend all your caps on navy units because you can only have so much of a different type of navy unit before it was maxed. This left navy battles feeling small and pretty underwhelming
It also doesnt help that Chinese Navy was superior with flaming junks
That was probably my biggest problem (the caps, not the flaming junks
Probably the biggest problem for a lot of AoE2 fans was how little Micromanaging or gook clicking actually affected combat except when used against a few enemies
Mostly it was unit types and where the units actually were on the field of combat that affected the end result
Micromanaging and gookclicking only really shined against the once over powered ottomans
Then they got taken out by the asians races, Japan being superior and having no weaknesses per say, China being overpowered at high levels and India got elephants which made them the new Persians
It also didnt help that india countered alot of the other asian factions but lost against Europeans
IT was like they excelled against the other asians but lost out against europeans

However there were a few things i liked
There were several more unit types and damage types, this was probably my favorite aspect
I actually liked the concept of city shipments, as well as mercenaries and the like. It was just poorly implemented.
The large differences in units I really liked despite how poorly it destroyed unit balance
I fucking loved Uhlans, Eat shit Spanish rodeleros or what ever the fuck those shitty sonic infantry were called
The gameplay was good and the AI didnt cheat (much), although it was fairly poor and easily predictable after a few dozen games

In the trash where it belongs :^)

Seriously though, AoE3 feels really weird and clunky, and I can't put my finger on why.

For what purpose?

The clunkiness might just be how the game speed was slightly slower than AoE2
The weirdness was the fact how un-AoE like it was with city shipments and like
They tried out new things in the industry, which isnt a bad thing in itself, its just they should have been doing it on a sequel for a famous franchise
It also didnt help that they couldn't address any of the problems with patching due to what happened later
It also didnt help that the expansions were rushed in order to make money (which they did)
Industrial revolution came across as retarded to me

I have Unlimited internet cap, unfortunately I also have shitty speed
1mb is only like 10 seconds so its not so bad
Takes me a few minutes to post anything more than 8 mb
Its why i reply so slowly
also I'm too lazy to turn it into a png

That really depends on the faction
For some factions rushing to tech 2 or 3 is more reliable than staying tech 1
I would say TA did it better if not for image related:

No.

If you want large-size armies and want something other than the SupCom or Total Annihilation games, give the Cossacks series a try, at the very least the first game.

Does the new Cossacks meet this level in army size?

Dunno, haven't tried it yet. I am cautious about giving GSC any shekels after what Grigorovich pulled with STALKER.

Cossacks 3 is buggy as fuck, but it's basically a Cossacks 1 Remake.

Is this the greatest unit of all time?

Checking out the screenshots, I can definitely see this. Well, I might pick it up then after (and only after) they patch it properly. I've had enough horror experiences with zero-day unpatched Clear Sky.

Also they removed the sanic speed settings, so the game's a lot slower, even on the highest available speed.

Wake up and smell the coffee, you worthless whiners.

When's Holla Forums comfy RTS night? We set on a date and game yet?

who

This is the reason why I have more play time in AoE3 than AoE2 HD.
I fucking love it when factions are different on a deeper mechanical level, rather than just having a unique unit and tech.
Rodoleros a shit, oprichnik is best unit.

But it either takes forever to make even one, bottlenecks your everything, or forces you to stop all other production, leaving you vulnerable for as long as you're building, plus the gantry itself is both expensive and only comes from the advanced construction kbot.

In the trash.

Anyone tried 0AD? Is it any good? Some update just came out for it.

I liked it, it needs a campaign, but it was a good improvement over Age of Empire but not Age of Kings, but definitely Age of Empires 3.

Turtling is never a viable strategy, online, due to the resource disparity you create (in your enemy's favour) by giving up control of the map.

Enemy gets more resources, his economy grows at a faster rate, he techs faster, he has more units, and in the end he just completely crushes you with superior numbers and tech.

Turtling only works against other turtles, or against AI.

The only way that turtling could theoretically work is if the map had no resource sources and your resource generation was either fixed or contained within your base, so map control had no economic advantage. But I don't know that there's any RTS that does this, nor would it be fun to play.

Turtling can work but the vast majority of people just do not know how to turtle. Turtling to most people seems to be sitting at base playing the game like city builder, that is not the case. Real turtling is about fortiying key positions and areas, denying off critical resources and bottlenecking your enemy. Company of Heroes is a game that allows for good turtling and you can do it viably against players, you just have to move your fucking ass to the frontline and actually take control of key territory first then hold it.

That's because that doesn't really sound like turtling, just default expansion but it is turtling. And it's still not viable since it can be counterplayed with focused attacks.

Empire Earth had places where you could find 3-4 resource spots placed together and it paid off to fortify the area around them for safe collection, making for "city-states" surrounding them. You'd usually place some towers to deter harassment, station a small army to deter small attacks (and stage future ones) but if your oponent made that place his target and sent his full army, you'd lose that place unless you did the same thing, which could not work very well if you're fighting on multiple forces. Sometimes you had to concede the place for now and capture it later.

So in other words, you could try to turtle but it would only work if you kept all oponents busy in multiple fronts so they can't focus-fire one side and it still wouldn't mean anything if you don't have map control since reinforcing those locations is expensive. By the time you've placed turrets, fortresses, city centers and houses surrounded by walls, your oponent has dropped resource gathering buildings near 3 different points and will make a wall out of units instead.

This chart is better just because it lacks metascore tiers.

That's take and hold rather than turtling. Actual viable turtling is only possible if everything you have is mobile and can stay together/dock into some main big thing. Something like Homeworld with mothership and carriers staying close together.

If we're going to stuff every single type of strategy and tactics physically possible, we may as well add Mud and Blood 2 then.

Why did it have to die?

At least now they can't rape its corpse any further amirite?

why does nobody ever talk about RoN?

Did you even play that shitheap?

They had too many ideas to the point they had to cut a lot of content, They cut out huge parts of the RTS aspect of it
In fact I dont think I've ever seen a game with so much content
They got rid of the option to play as a girl
They got rid the open relationship option
They got rid of player customization
They got rid of the orc race and the orc and imp waifus
They got rid of Boss fights
They got rid of entire tiers of troops you should have been able to use
They cut out huge parts of the story as well
I dont think I've ever seen a game with so much cut content that wasn't originally going to be a lie like todd does

tbh it wasn't a bad game, it was a good idea, it just lacked content which left a bad taste in everyones mouth
Its not on gook tier or garbage tier so they just shoved it on the one above
game was over priced when it came out though for the content it had

Anyone else find SupCom/FA/FAF good but not as amazing as everyone hypes it up to be? It's a very good game but it's just awfully plain.

I greatly prefer Total Annihilation in this regard (or Wargame for the scale, but that's not an RTS), the game and especially units are a lot more interesting. I actually remember units from TA, while in SupCom if it isn't an experimental I rarely remember what they look like.

The RTS elements of it were complete shit due to AI being pants on the head retarded.

Wakey-wakey, niggas.

In retrospect, cutting out Imp Princess isn't so bad. She's a slut.

they cut that part where you could forcefully mouth-fuck that feminazi cunt, impregnate her and force her to birth your children. so much wasted potential

What radical changes made CoH2 gook tier?

2fast4dorks
How can white males even compete?

Speaking about CoH2

MASSIVE BALANCE TEST MOD UNVEILED

Naziboos cried and cried, so Relic executes Soviet Union out of the game
The changes in the mod are still not final however.

Link to changes community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/243342/winter-balance-preview-mod-feedback

Are there any good mods? I wanna see new civs, but looking through most modding sites (are they supposed to be designed like shit?), all I see is an unfinished roman legionnaires pack last updated 7 years ago…

I guess I'm glad it's dead.

I don't have enough Soviet soldiers to express my frustration.

It's funny that there are posts of people wanting even more soviet nerfs
Those people have usually

Delicious.

I don't play CoH2 but biased Russian devs in other games means I'll enjoy the tears anyway.

At least that one's real-time, unlike fucking Civ and everything in the autism corner.

CoH aka Wehraboo simulator belongs in meh tier along with Divinity Dragon Commander

Thanks Relic.

What isn't revealed is that Wehrboos get the Maus cause they feel underpowered without it and can spam out a million billion Tigers per minute.

Name me some RTS to look forward to that isn't DoW3 or Sudden strike 4.
The urge to sink my teeth into something fresh, but being unable to, is killing me.

You were defeated before you even began, like Napolean's invasion of Russia. Although I would recommend 0AD

I'm not looking forward to these trainwrecks tbh

Is suddens strike expected to be bad too ? I thought it was just lower tier as a game, but nothing truly bad ?

One has to try, even if he fails. Else nothing ever happens.

Actually I just thought about Cossacks 3, is there anything wrong with it?

I owned a physical copy of CoH back when it came out and I played it for a few hours and haven't touched it since. I've got these in my steam library, probably from humble bundles over the years, I don't remember where they came from.

If I'm finally going to give this game a solid go, which version should I play? Is CoH2 better?

There were a lot of people bashing it here for having no improvements over the much older versions and only having some downsides. Can't really remember the exact problems though.

Steam version, it combines all the games into one and is playable online. COH 2 is pretty shit and a DLC whoring game with an in game store for microtransactions and commanders

Not a good week for commies.

New steam version. CoH2 is jewish trash.

ok

Thanks

He did say 'in other games,' user. I still haven't played CoH2 vanilla since I went straight for Spearhead, having heard nothing but bad things about the vanilla game. Gamey, spongy units, Maxims carted around in open fields under cover of each other, reactionary nerfs absolutely everywhere, and neverending shitflinging between Commieboos and Wehraboos. And Oberkommando in particular was way too good, but then got gutted to the point that it has a very narrow range of effective strategies. That's what I heard at least. How bad is it now, really?

Burn in hell, commie.

Is there a way to play CnC games online now that gamespy is offline? Red Alert 3, Kane's Wrath Tiberium Wars and Uprising. cnc-online.net is one of the places I found, but I can't get it working.

BURN IN HELL, COMMIE KIKE!

Anyone feel that Command and Conquer could actually make a good tv series?

tv series are low budget shit, they should turn it into a movie instead. Also they turned nod into total communists, they need to somewhat rewrite the story before that.

Where have you been for the past 5 years user?

I don't even have access to tv series and I don't care wtf you guys watch, it's probably shit anyway.

You are missing out user.

What exactly am I missing? TV is cancer, ads are cancer, the news are cancer. Just name me a few tv shows you enjoy, I bet they are cancer too.

that's on amazon user

Can't argue with those digits user, but there are a lot of streaming tv series that are pretty high budget and better quality than films now. I just gave you an example

moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds/news/rise-of-the-reds-187-update-6
moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds/news/rotr-187-update-7
So… RotR 1.87 release soon? This Christmas maybe? :^)
posted two updates because the latest update is literally just a plane and a truck

Did they ever add the anti lag patch to RoTR?

What if I'm actually Slav and want to play as my great-grandfathers.

WTF are you talking about? Every faction is different. ACUs have different upgrde sets, every faction has some special units that define their stances at techinng (Seraphim favours t2 for glorious Illshavohs).
You do realize that by holdinng space, you can actually see how the terrain is not flat?

I am curious, how many hours have you spent on Supcom?

CoH2 is great, but better wait for deals because its dirt cheap then.
Seriously, you could buy it with all expansions for 10$ in last bundle.
It's still played by many people, something that other totaly-not-nostalgic-anons can't say about their best games.
Also it gets constant patches to this day.

Lelic MP balance is schizophrenic like in CoH1.

They made the three original factions more similar with patches to base SupCom. Also buffed veterancy, but nowhere near what FA did

Well, at least is a change after so many years of F-22 raptors.

Also about ROTR: ECA>>GLA>>USA>RUSSIA>>>>>Dog shit>>>>CHINA

As someone who played mowas MP for quite a bit this always makes me chuckle. It is just way too accurate regarding all the flaws the game has.

Sticking the F-35 in is like sticking the Abrams tank in a lot of the mods. Just a severe lack of imagination. I remember Shockwave Mod refused blatantly to put the Abrams in despite being asked for years and years by kids. It became somewhat of a meme there.

When its done

Come play Men of War and enjoy real slavsim.

user please.

The factions are mostly mirrored. Everyone has a T1/2/3 AA, arty, tank (and I do mean roles and function, some may have 2 treads, some 4, some have legs), etc. They may work a little differently (e.g. fast-firing minigun AA vs flak AA, or one may be cluster arty) and their stats vary, but the general archetype is the same, with a few exceptions. It's more akin to something like the differences between generals of the same faction in C&C Generals than between factions themselves. I would hardly call it being very different, most RTS do much much more in terms of faction uniqueness. Arguably experimentals are the actual superweapons, but still worth noting everyone uses the same nuclear superweapon, with only cosmetic differences (except the Cybrian EMP, if it's still in the game).

As for the actual units themselves excluding experimentals, there's no getting around that they're boring as shit. None of them are really interesting at all or have any soul, when they do it's only because they are superior in terms of balance. None of them are really memorable at all, especially the models which are really uninspired. I don't expect Starcraft-tier characterization of units (with voice lines, picture, and all that) considering the scale SupCom has, but doesn't change this fact. Total Annihilation was much much better on this side of things (I also miss the land/air/water engineers from it).

Yeah, and elevation is basically the only thing it has going for it (save for the rare buildings). There are no terrain features, man-made or natural, that really affect gameplay.

A few hundred, give or take. How about you?

I sure hope you won't construe my argument as saying SupCom is shit when I explicitly stated the opposite, right user?

I do remember SupCom at release being quite different. Was so long ago I don't really remember the details though.

Everything about SC on this list is gook click meme.

Original Brood War was gookclick. It was absolute shit game that you could fix by insane amount of amp and crazy reaction time.
Reason SC2 died out was because it actually wasn't good enough gookclick.

However I won't argument it heavily, just go play it this shit is like 90% f2p. Try it, it plays like Warcraft3 sequel.

Also c'mon if you played both you should know it SC2 is nowhere as bad as GreyGoo.

Same as Dune 2, C&C, WC, WC2, RA, TibSun, RA2 and so on.

If you'll ever look into INI files of ZH, you'll see that those actually mostly use same units. I don't argue that difference between factions in Generals is greater, just that even FAF in current state has larger divergence than main GLA and stealth GLA, for example.

Such as? StarCraft is the only one that comes to mind, all others can be easily criticised for having those very same flaws. Most do have a more memorable units overall, but as far as their purpose and functionality goes? Same.

UEF was more or less same as now, but not always having best firepower. UEF was about staying power. Not so much defensive in nature as FA and especially FAF made them, just durable, good at what they're supposed to do and requiring effort to stop.
Aeon units were all about doing one thing they're designed for really good, all else be damned. Remnants of this approach can be seen in no anti-air on ships that aren't supposed to repel air units.
Cybran changed the least overall, probably. Versatility, speed and unorthodox mentality. Also worst energy cost-efficiency.
TMLs weren't nearly as powerful as they are now. First their range was buffed, then cost and time to build of artillery were increased, forcing players to use TML where artillery was the logical choice before (quickly building a bunch of T2 emplacements to try and soften up an experimental, for example, now it's signing your death sentence).

Can you guys recommend a new commer some RTS games? I did play both red alert 2 and tiberian sun back then, but those are the only rts games I have ever played. A few days ago I bought the CnC Ultimate Collection which basically has all the CnC games. I have played both red alert 3 and kane's wrath so far and they seem like decent games although Tiberium Wars seems to be a bit better. I just prefer the darker theme it has and you can do some pretty ugly shit with those flying units that can drop a beacon and then have it nuked from a distance.

If you've got the CnC Collection you might want to try generals, in my opinion it was better than RA3
Also If you particularly like Generals you might want to try Act of war, Its a lesser known Generals like games that had Act of aggression for a sequel which was shitter in almost every way except graphics However it was by the same people who made R.U.S.E, which is also a pretty good game especially if you like wargames

If you want a game that offers more units and complexity Try Supcom, Unless you want to try medieval, Which i hear Cossacks might be better, Not sure about 3 though
Age of Empires is a game you definitely want to try out, aoe3 less so in account of the community being dead whilst aoe2 is now undead and currently being raped
Unless you hate gook clicks, which aoe narrowly hits upon in a similiar case to starcraft, However its not too bad because both games Were'nt made for gook clicking and competitive sports which is leagues above Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3 is probably one of the best RTS out there if it wasnt so dead, Custom maps were literally the most memorable feature it had
Too bad blizzard destroyed any hopes of custom maps in SC2
Its not actually dead but it might as well be with the hundreds of bot maps constantly being posted
No one can actually find a game with people in it because of them

If your willing to deal with AoE2 style graphics but like heroes from say Warcraft3 , I recommend Warlords Battle cry 3, shits great with a variety of races and Heroes as well as a pretty neat campaign

Did you try Original War?

Really what it belongs in iust good tier
Its definitely above meh, although tbh I've only Played Soase trinity and not much rebellion
Although i keep hearing rebellion is better

Also Star Ruler is pretty old user, all those games on the list are post 2000 excluding RA2 known classics such as SC, RA2 and AoM/aoe

Didn't Star Ruler come out in the 90's or am i thinking of a different game?

Well, Wikipedia says Star Ruler was released in 2010, so yeah. You must've been thinking of some other game, like Ascendancy.
Also, Ikaposter, do you prefer small-scale RTS over bigger'scale ones?

Guys, I have started on pic related. I find it a bit frustrating to play since I played SupCom FA before, but I still want to get used to the controls.

Do people play the original or do they play Escalation more?

> small-scale RTS over large-scale ones?
nope, I'm more of a supcom guy
Still It really depends on your definition of small scale, You could probably argue that warcraft 3 is a small scale RTS, which i particularly loved, although mainly for the custom maps part
The standard maps were definitely small scale, Custom maps would have massive battles in them from memory

Are there any rts' in which you build a big unstoppable army and then fight each other? Not like CnC in which you attack each other asap, but after you build a pretty decent base and army.

Some games allow a Peace/Treaty period at the start to allow exactly that
Not many come to mind but i definitely remember AoE3 doing it

Are there any other RTS games like this?
The only other games I can think of is X-Com and Fire Emblem, and neither of those are RTS.

Pretty sure all games by GSC/on the Cossacks engine allow it.

There's an equal amount of players for both OTA (Original TA) and TA:Esc, Esc does have better balance overall despite T3 being so goddamn overpowered, at least you aren't stuck with the missile units and turrets only meta.

Play this t3dstudio.ru/files/mw/MarsWarsv35.zip

Units auto-attack when approaching enemies, and pathfinding isn't shit, so you either have to have a bigger blob than the enemy or enough heavy weapons to thin out crowds. 100 unit limit though.

I just tried this, pretty fun for such a small game. It's a shame there isn't any resource management, instead of just time management.

Whan I said "small-scale" I was thinking of something along the lines of World in Conflict or Dawn of War 2.

absolute shit list tbh fam

Acting is pretty god awful, but I wasn't huge fan of this book.

Don't get me wrong, PKD is great in general, but he's kind of a super low-key white guilt/apologist and this book had the highest concentration of that I felt.

Feel free to call me Holla Forums it just annoys me to see one of my favorite authors virtue signaling so much.

age of mythology is godly, you heathen.

Age of Mythology is fucking shit.

age of mythology was a casualized downgrade from the first two games in every way.

I believe if you played the Russians in Empire Earth I you could stack 7 gatherers on a single resource pile which gave an awesome early game advantage. The resource placement was also superior to EE II – where you could find resources strewn about literally everywhere in a vanilla game. I'm not entirely sure but I think I recall that Empire Earth 2 just randomly spawned late game resources if you didn't start in the appropriate epoch which could completely fuck you if you were playing islands or on maps where there were more than 2 players (because of relatively small territorial control).

The only thing EE 2 did better was allowing the construction of AA guns one epoch before the introduction of planes. I also actually liked the idea of limiting the construction of certain types of buildings but it was terribly balanced and really only served to detract from the experience with the way they implemented it.

Also I know this is standard to most base building RTS games but I hate how you could never have a full game w/o accelerated time (in multiplayer). I never played EE I online but EE II was basically a race to see who could spam battering rams and crossbowen in the fifth epoch. There was no strategy at all, only the execution of specific build macros. Unless you started the game in a late age that allowed the production of aircraft, in which case the meta was to play as the Japanese and spam zeros or build nukes. This is why I pine for a day when we can get a balanced base building system that isn't overly reliant on micro-managing economic faculties and allows for the execution of timed strategic encounters. World in Conflict and the Total War games completely ruined the base building RTS sub-genre for me.

Homeworld isn't obscure

Which of these two you consider superior and why?

Blitzkrieg is way more polished, but CMC is fun for all the wacky tech you can get access to and the general idea of everyone slugging it out on a march to the southern regions of the globe

Good SP + Map Editors and Mod Tools for a cherry on top will make a great RTS game.
Focusing entirely on MP is a surefire way to make it die.

Plus they have to make it have at least the same amount of content as games we had over a decade ago. Trying to release with minimal content and releasing the rest as paid DLC just doesn't work with RTS games. They need to be complete at launch or they will fail.

Blitzkrieg felt short to me. It was similar to Sudden Strike, but just felt much smaller. I remember playing it, but nothing particular about it. It just didn't seem memorable. Never played CMC.

bump

Anyone heard anything about this? Looks dated but fun

Is it an RTT or something?

It has it user. Looks like honestly a copy of Total Annihilation.

Even though this is the RTS thread the new Wargame RD patch went out today. Now we can be slavs and spurdos.

All we need is Turkey to be added and we can have Kebab Removal Wars.

We should get a Middle Eastern Wargame. Shit would be fun.

Well Israel has already been added.

That would be great but wouldn't work unless they based it off R.U.S.E. which would work out a lot better, especially through use of deception and fake units

Thought more people would be hyped over this.

Wargame is shit, what'd you expect?

Which part should interest me

Wargame is shit.

Elaborate instead of just saying "it's shit"

Nah why fucking bother, it isn't even RTS in the first place. Why would anyone in here be hyped at all about a shit RTT game is what you should be asking.

Well sorry I had a power outage that changed my IP you uptight faggot.

Since RTT sneaked into this thread anyway, I'll ask away: have you ever played Atom Zombie Smasher? If so, what do you think of it?

Not him but Wargame's problems are a lack of thought put into how it plays. It's hard to articulate but I'd say it's like someone set out to make a simulation of modern combat with fun gameplay as an afterthought. Truly idiotic micromanagement and gametypes that are often decided in the opening minutes are the result.

Sure one in every 10 games will have a fun or memorable moment but the other 9 will just be the same stale meta tactics decided by who gets luckiest or micromanages the most. I stopped playing when I realised every game was arty and plane spam + rushing buildings with mech/mot infantry. The game wasn't about who had the better tactics just who could execute the standard tactic 0.0001% more effectively.

The only gametype that isn't shit (economy) isn't played because the majority of PvP RTS players are cunts who actually enjoy repetitive matches. I've seen people with hundreds and hundreds of hours fail completely when faced with a new gametype because they can only use the standard tactic.

They aren't. An RTS where player only chooses directions in which certain aspects develop ("build resource gatherers/generators with moderate protection" + "focus on infantry with light vehicle support, use for minor skirmishes all over the map" + "focus on tech X, Y and Z and/or tech path A") would still be an RTS. Same as players don't tell their units how to aim, when to reload etc. in RTT. And even when they do some micro, like manually pulling back units from fights, re-targeting a more important enemy or use unit abilities (throw grenades, become invisible and so on) it doesn't make FPS a subgenre of RTT.
And yes, I know RTS like described above don't exist. Dune (not TBoD, the first one, by Cryo) probably came closest to it.

This doesn't mean RTT shouldn't be welcome in RTS threads as, frankly, both genres are at least on life support.
And then there is the blurring of the line DoW introduced.

This is some cuckchan quality, right here.

Let's do some brainstorming:

click
drag
click

lmao

Work on your reading comprehension instead of memearrowing.

Earth 2150 and Metal Fatigue would be a good stating point. Tunnel reinforcement and collapses should be very important. Especially since making every unit capable of burrowing would be too cost inefficient and/or lowering their efficiency in their primary role, so everything would likely boil down to convoy-like or train-like compositions.
Also, seismic weapons as WMD.

The RTS part of the game was horrible and everyone skipped it whenever possible, the only reason the whole game isn't horrible is because of the fun role playing and ok risk map gameplay

I remember it being relatively fun until special zombies appeared. Then it just got stupid and I stopped playing it.

Forgive me because its 4AM in the morning, but i don't understand what you've said, first you described some narrow generalizations of things that could be considered an aspect in some RTS games, then tried to relate them to ammo reloading and aiming in RTTs (Which have also occurred in RTS games)
Then to top it off, you've described some ridiculous nonsense of RTTs being related/similar to FPS because they have tactical aspects in them, despite the fact that RTT/RTSs require you to have some control of said aspects which you dont in FPSs (telling other people to do this and that over chat doesnt count) (also there are some RTT/FPS games like natural selection 2 out there as well as a few others)

RTTs are an aspect of RTS's because there are RTSs that allow you to do everything an RTT can do and more, Rather is more accurate to say that RTTs are RTS's without the base building
In fact everything in the RTT genre can be found in the RTS Genre but not the other way round, which is why RTTs are a sub-genre of RTS

It wasn't horrible, it was unfinished
If they didnt cut out all the waifus, game mechanics, story and fucking units it wouldn't have been so bad

No mention of Dragonshard.

It might not be an outstanding game, but it had some realy cool ideas, it took Armies of Exigos gameplay gimmick, turned it up to eleven, added in some Dawn of War and topped it off with an Eberron Magitek coat of paint that actually stays true to the source material beyond what was neccesary, the graphics havent aged too well but its an endearing overlooked RTS by the guys that made Battle Realms

TA:ESC and SupCom FAF are fucking amazing. What about pic related? Many anons seem to hate it, why?

Also, FUCK SupCom 2 and FUCK consoles..

No, I've described what RTS is about. The fact tactics became as important in the genre is due to historical reasons, an RTS game doesn't have to give tactics any role of importance.
Also

Missed the point by a mile. It's an analogy. Just because tactics historically played a large role in RTS games it doesn't mean tactical aspect is intrinsic to RTS games.

Again, analogy. It's the same top-down perspective: just because RTS have lots of tactics it doesn't mean tactics in general are inalienable from RTS games; just because RTT have lots of units manoeuvring, firing at each other, using abilities and so on doesn't mean that being able to manage each unit to same or almost same degree as in FPS makes all those micromanagement options inalienable from RTT games. Elements and concepts of genres with narrower scope being present in genres with wider scope doesn't automatically make the former subgenres of the latter.

BattleZone allows me to do everything an FPS can do and more. Therefore FPS is a subgenre of RTS as BarrleZone is an RTS game.

Again, if an FPS with vehicles, including planes, provide the same options as a flight simulator with poor range of options and feedback, it makes flight simulators a subgenre of FPS.

Noticing the flaws in logic yet?

A lot of anons kickstarted it only to find it massively underwhelming when it came out.

No variation between players. (races)
Everything is the same.

The pricing was, and still is, completely driven by nothing more than pure greed.
Follow this up with a sucker punch expansion pack that cost more than the original. I could understand why people told them to fuck straight off. Its very lacking in some regards.

I do maybe 2 or 3 galactic campaigns every couple months just to check it out again, and yeah.
Its just only ok, maybe borderline good, but nothing more.

Looks great. And then it's also Eberron.

Are you talking about units gaining experience? I don't think they've been inspired by Armies of Exigo or anything else, they just bred RPG with RTS and, from what I've seen, it was a success. Definitely want to try this one out.

Also, is mass cleric as OP as in Spellforce at earlier stages?

No i am talking about Armies of Exigos idea of having an above and a below ground map.

The below ground is different from Armies of Exigo tho since the focus is more on traps rather than just a second map, the below ground map is where you primarily gain gold and expirience (unlike armies of exigo, units dont gaint expirience each, instead expirience is a resource that you can spend on upgrading a unit type to the next level which gives it a new ability)

But mostly i was refering to the underground map.

Also its factions are cool.

What you've described is what you think RTS games are about and doesn't quite cover the whole genre

True

Analogy Definition: a correspondence or partial similarity, a thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects, a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Rather i want to know what your definition for tactical aspect. Also I think you have it the other way round, RTS, or rather some aspects of RTS are intrinsic to tactics in the RTT definition (not to be confused with FPS)
Also History is rather important when discussing genres, Otherwise why else would we be using such a fucking retarded naming scheme for them? MMOs will always be a mistake, there were better terms for them when they came out but the main stream media grabbed the most retarded one

It does if it follows the RTS tactics norms which usually have a top-down perspective and some control over your units, hell you dont even have to have control of said units to be an RTS, RTS is a pretty broad definition

never said it did and i will repeat that an FPSs ability to control strategy is different from an RTT/RTS which generally give almost absolute control

If the Narrower scope can entirely fit within the wider scope i will say it does

Nope, Battlezone is mostly a first person and a shooter and has quite a lot of RTS aspects, which is why its generally called an FPS RTS, its crossover of genres, not narrowed down aspects of a single genre

Nope, Flight Simulators dont have to be in first person (but generally are) and falls more clearly under the genre of simulators rather than FPS
Also flight simulators doubt have to have shooting, FPSs have to allow some shooting or the ability to fire a projectile, Flight simulators dont have to have shooting and therefor branch outside the FPS genre, RTTs do not ever leave the RTS genre unless its crossing over with another genre

Fuck its 5am in the morning, i wish i didnt have to do this

Also flight simulators dont*
fug i need to go to bed

I see. They weren't the first to introduce underground layer so I only thought about it in passing.

What is the level cap for units? How different they become?
Also, how different are the races? The only gameplay video on youtube that's tolerable is showing Order's first mission.

"Cool" is an understatement. The moment I saw that first mission's opening I thought "Is that a Warforged? Holy shit!"

Apparently the faggots at SWR have released a public test version of RotR 1.87
forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=12182&pid=137405&st=0&#entry137405

What seemed to be wrong with Wargame really is that they have hardly any direction on their game and their updates tend to only one narrow aspect of the game and delivered at a glacial pace like "Oh right maybe we should make supply lines more dependent on FOBs" and "maybe spammable 10 point tanks that can fire shells on the move are a terrible idea"

I think the Wargame fags are still waiting on that MG rebalance they just can't shut up about.

I'm depressed that these mods for generals keep getting updated, not because i dislike the mods, i quite like them, its just that they're coming out for a game more than a decade ago
This implies that there haven't been many RTS games that have come out since then that are as modable or fun
Really its sign of the stagnancy of the RTS genre
Hopefully this stagnancy weeds out the shitty attempts made by "Triple A" games developers to cash in on a dehydrated niche genre
i will never forgive Supcom 2, aoe2:HD. C&C4 and fucking nuDungeon keeper

Cleric spam is for the most part resolved by making heals HoTs that dont stack i think.

this varies on the factions tho, the dark elves have AoE heals and AoE lifedrain heals which work a bit funky.

Also Spellforce, that takes me back, i loved that game back in the day, sadly the non RTS part was grindy as shit, i dont know if spellforce 2 was any better and i dont know if spellforce 3 is even a thing anymore.

True its been an older mechanism but i think Armies of Exigo made it a major selling point.

They got 5 levels. Each units has 3 abilities in total once they reach level 5 with the third beeing a very powerfull one. You can only ever have one unit at level 5 due to the way buildings work.

The building system is a bit strange: the city is organized in clusters of 4. Within each cluster you can build either a building that produces a unit or a buff building. The buff building will buff all units that have a building inside the same cluster.
to upgrade a unit you need to have several of its corresponding buildings in the same cluster. To upgrade a unit to level 5 you need to have a full cluster dedicated to that unit.

This means that when building your army you either have three very strong units, (2 level 4, one level 5) or multiple units of lower levels.
You can also get expansions on the map that give you 4 additional slots allowing you to max out another unit type.

The leveling is basically this games equivalent of a techn tree.

Compared to what? Ultimatley all the races have some form of healer unit, some form of flying unit and some form of rogue unit that can open traps. All the units are based on DnD classes so the races arent compleltey different. Mostly they differ in how they work.
For example the Dark Elves focus heavily on AoE, almost all of their abilities are somehow AoE based and thus positioning is realy important for them.
You can also build a buff building that makes all your units permanently invisible if you build your city correctly.
The same goes with Lizardmen and making your units go sanic fast.
the same way the Dark Elves deal with AoE the Lizardbros deal with movement, a lot of their abilities relate to creating zones where your enemy cant move or just hindering him in some way while buffing your own speed. But in general the units are very different.

Id say the factions are not so different in what their units funcitons are but in how they perform those funcitons.

I would have okayed this games years ago if not for the fact that Warcraft 3 came out around the same time
Warcraft 3 just took more of my "RTS" time in games than any other, the same way Diablo 2 took my "RPG" time

fairly sure it came out much later than warcraft 3, its graphics were just never very good.
I think Battle Realms is about as old as Warcraft 3 tho.

It came out 2 years after Warcraft 3, but only a year after the frozen throne
It also didnt help that Generals also came out the same year
damn i must of played Warcraft 3 for over a decade, i still play it now sometimes

Oh and by the way here's the link :^)
mediafire.com/file/ywsgqva7iiu7tlx/ROTR_187_PB_1_0.zip

Spellforce 2 made spawned units permanent, not sure about resources but I think mined out resources didn't respawn. It's different. I think I like the first game more overall.

And a hero in campaign, right? That should make for a powerful combination with at least one expansion.

To each other.

Good to hear. So far the game sounds really promising.

I dont wanna make out the game to be anything more than it is realy. I like it personally, but its not without its flaws and its art assets are all over the place.

Still it was clearly made with a lot of love. The Heroes themselves are a bit lackluster i must say, they are mostly there for the map wide buffs they can cast every once in a while, the meat lies with the actual units.

also note that you dont have to do 3 units only, you can easily build all of them but at a lower level.

Guys is there a clean way to crack Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun so I can play them without Origin? Are there cracks like steam emulators? With steam games there are cracks that work for every game, I just have to put it into the game folder, insert the games steam id into the .ini and the game starts without steam.

I own that game on steam and have play it for 30 mins it seems. I seriously don't remember buying or ever playing it.

non-RTSfag here. I've been playing mostly on console all my life. Will the C&C ps1 games and Halo Wars prepare me before I make the jump to RA 2 as my 1st PC RTS?

Forgot to mention Pikmin as well.

You aren't.

All of them have flaws. As for art, I've recently replayed the first Dune and haven't replayed Dune II and WarCraft only because my joints aren't as flexible as they used to be. Large unit groups introduced by C&C were truly a blessing.

That's what I was referring to, yes.

Not a problem. After watching about 20 minutes of first mission I'm convinced their primary role is tanking, then map-wide buffs. The former because they seem to be immune to knockdown and possibly some other nasty effects (I have a theory that the gelatinous cube can't grab a hero and will try to grab some other unit instead, for example).

Yeah, I got that. It's just they were obviously putting effort in keeping as much ties to PnP and thus I want to try it this way.
I also got this impression that it would likely work even better as a pure RPG, with the right engine.

The only problem you are likely to run into is being unfamiliar with controls. I have no idea how people are able to play RTS on a console controller. If you find a difficulty you've selected too hard because of that, just pick a lower one until you get better.

Thought that myself, i think the RTS controll is infinitly superior to most of the oldschool RPGs controlls.
But it is balanced around beeing an RTS and its equipment system is a bit lackluster.

Of course I meant if they started making it as an RPG from the ground up.
Controls would be less of an issue if it were RTwP UFO: Aftermath-style. Although that would somewhat conflict with rounds inherent to D&D.

Not to mention that on the whole Eugen tends to be somewhat incompetent and has little concern over balance

What are some gud games during Ancient times?

How about Praetorians?

Even putting aside all the Jewish fuckery with kickstarter, prices, rereleasing the game as a standalone expansion to get better reviews, lacking features that were originally advertised and shit.
The game is pretty much SupCom2-2. Units are slow and short ranged. Maps are small and flat, making them spheres as a gimmick just made them pain in the ass to navigate. Getting lost or walking east all the way around to attack the base on the west could have been just me being retarded but you could see only a small area at a time even when zoomed out because of curvature so you had to fly around all the time to see what is happening and that only made it more likely to get lost or miss something.
It's functional and playable, but not fun.

Do we have planned RTS times for mumble?

Are there any mods which actually fix the campaign for soulstorm?
having non permanent bases is awful

Someone did the number crunching and the krogoth (let alone the factory) takes more resources than the tanks required to kill it. Sure, it's an awesome piece of kit to smash someone with but in the worlds of TA's creator:

Because that's Soulstorm's only problem and not the non-stop flow of units coming from the AI that makes every stronghold a tedious slog.

It's like someone saw World in Conflict and decided to remove everything fun from it.

Just download TA Spring, faggot.

Kingdom Wars 2: Battles a good game? It's currently on sale and this is the first time I hear of this game.

To be honest it looks quite complicated, I feel like I would play it maybe for 3 hours and then never touch it again because I can't figure it out properly.

And another thing, was the Red Alert 2 apocalypse tank to op or why the hell did they remove it's anti air from Red Alert 3? I am currently trying to get into this game but the more I play it the more I hate it. I do like a few things about it, but in the end there are more things I dislike about it than I like.

First of all the cartoonish design, wtf was wrong with a somewhat realistic design? Then their new balance way, you just don't have one unit that is overall good. And I am not a communist or a lefty, but it kinda triggers me how the russians are so fucking lame in that game.

I've only played Kingdom wars 1, But from what i hear its pretty similiar
The rts aspect of it was pretty neat apart from the shitty unit pathing and lag during battles (tfw Australian)
Supposedly they patched up the pathing, but it was after i stopped playing

Do they still have that gold coin/crown bullshit system?

Great game but performance is shit and the AI pathfinding is terrible, if they sort that out it'd be great.

Can you guys help me modding RA3? I put some mods into my mods folder, but when I select a mod and hit launch it just brings me back to the main screen. Happens for all the mods. Did one of the recent updates break ra3 mods?

The only thing I really thought was innovative about Starcraft's design was unit pathing working like a comeback mechanic, and the limit on unit selection both working together to make unit manipulation into something better than the usual. And they removed all of that in SC2 to replace it with rewarding you for just practicing the routine of expanding, saturating, and macroing until you're like a bot. That isn't good.

Why do people still cuck for this game?

Well then.

they were both absolute shit multiplayer games, maybe if you're rating them based on single player experience

scbw literally has 15,000 people online on fish server right now.

starcraft 2 honestly

unless you count harrassment as "attack each other asap"

Not since cancerwatch came out.

All it proves is that shit gooks can't into they don't care until they ruin it like a wild pack of niggers.

Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are all about building huge armies and smashing them together. Cossacks has a pretty large scale for its armies too. Most other games don't even come close to these ones.

And I can't believe some faggot suggested Starcraft 2 in response to this… wow. That game is over faster than a round of CS:GO, there is no such thing as facing armies off in Starcraft 2. What a joke.

1100 human garbage detected. The same filth that would sneak into the experts only chat to beg for tips, no doubt.

Wondering this too, seems it could be interesting.

well I bought it but only spend 8 minutes in game so far. I have to check it out later when I have more time to focus on it. Because it indeed looks very complicated.

And idk if it's because of my 1440p screen, but the icons look tiny as hell.

I only bought it because I heard you can play as orcs in that game.

I just remember the zombies in that game being far too annoying that you literally spammed fire archers into an enemy base and let the zombies deal with them. There was nothing you could do to really get rid of them.

It's so easy to dick around with MoW that you honestly forget the original purpose, manually control some guy and then just tell your friends to do it and fuck around inside barns shooting and throwing chickens at each other.
Even then the game can still be fun.

ERP server in Men of War when tbh

Any of you fags still playing WC3 customs?

look at these alt right posts for example
imgur.com/gallery/0Bflh
imgur.com/gallery/GxUFH
And there is a lot worse content on imgur, like comics that push fat models and shit like that.

Wish more games did it, would add depth to imaginary vehicles (and also force people making them to actually think about function).

Men of Warhammer when?

I believe there's Call To Arms which I think uses the same engine and generally the same mechanics but in the modern era, haven't tried it out myself.
But yeah im still waiting for the day of a 40k mod for this.

you own the game? Can you tell me something about it? Like does it have some kind of a anti cheat? The store page doesn't say anything about VAC. I haven't figured it out yet, but there are resources that I have to get in order to unlock shit, could I just run cheat engine into that or would that fuck my game up?

Also is it just me or do the buildings look out of proportion?

Fuck off, queer.

I enjoyed the game once I was able to use auto battle to avoid the RTS elements.

Then again you could still abuse the RTS fighting to come out ontop when it was impossible otherwise.

please include CIV VI

the autism corner doesn't include HAARPOON 3 and COMMAND MODERN AIR NAVAL OPERATION

Question for RTS Holla Forums and it's massive collective knowledge of RTS games.

What do you think is the most original RTS that had good gameplay mechanic's that is the least appreciated (or were good ideas that were never used by future RTS games) or was close to being a perfect RTS game? Or would be good for a revival?
Doesn't have to be restricted to PC and you can say more than one RTS game.

Crude drawing supposed to be a small red army with sword and bow attacking blue's teams giant question mark and them repairing with hammer and defending it with spears.

I'm just gonna drop this one off here and ask you: Is he right?

Well I'll go a bit off on a tangent but still kinda related to your question:

Earth (and Warzone before it) had relatively in-depth unit customization which we rarely see in games. Also an underground level where you had to dig around, which also is rarely seen in games but was very interesting (though definitely not used to its potential at all). Maelstrom was just a bundle of new mechanics with great potential that fell flat. Too bad we'll never get a good game that implements them.

In general I wish there were more basebuilding in RTS. Something like Anno with an RTS component, or an RTS with a citybuilding component like Anno.

Call to Arms is MoW: Modern Warfare, same devs too if I recall correctly. Wish we had any sort of non-real setting for a MoW game just to see how far those mechanics can be brought. Then again it might turn out to be a monkey paw case like Total War and Warhammer was, so maybe it's best like this.

He's just giving a lecture on how to think about base defense structures. Although I don't like how he uses the word predictive.

Sometimes (TA Spring is a big league example) base design involves so much defense construction that it's a given you'll encounter it. Meanwhile in a game like generals between two competent players (excluding tunnels) you may see one or two bunkers at the most.

How do you appeal to the following in a way that collaborates them together?

A) Heavy base building element
B) Huge scale wars with hundreds of units
C) Fast game time maybe 10 - 15 minutes
D) Focus on tactics/strategy rather than micro
E) Satisfying and not just one battle and then it's all over, some tension back and forth pushes

This sounds impossible to handle just right. Has any rts come close before?

Impossible. C contradicts A, B and E.

I see kiddies are still pissed off at it not being YET ANOTHER STAR CRAFT OR AGE OF EMPIRES clone.

Only thing that comes close to mind is SupCom, but for it to have fast games you can't have hundreds of units in place due to the scale. Maybe a hybrid of SupCom basebuilding and strategy/tactics but instead of building singular units, you can only build squads of them like in CoH? It would be ONE way to approach it, without having to resort to ridiculeously broken economies.
Heavy basebuilding elements can be in the way of teching and meaningful defenses that aren't just wet paper against tanks or artillery, but if they're too strong you also make the game too slow and not easy to have it go back and forth if someone just powercreeps to the enemy's base. Though back-n-forth engagements are more on how the players play rather than the features involved in the game, as you can have them on every RTS no matter the skill level, only affected by the underlying strategy used by the players.

Game time can also be shortened by reducing mapsize and scale, but you also get the problems of lack of unit counts and focus on strategy rather than micro, although micro is more how you can manipulate units to be slightly more efficient than the AI can handle them, which can be fixed more easily with the tools avaible nowadays. It's all tradeoffs, you can't really have too much of one being efficient without some other suffering in one way or another.

prostagma…..

In suppcom you'd have to be rushing to end it that fast. Be it t1, nuke, comm upgrade or experimental.
That is by default, not fun.

A fast paced RTS game wouldn't be fun regardless. I mean, look at Starcraft, it sure is fucking fast paced but it ain't fun to end the game in less than 2 minutes. Comfiness comes from scale and basebuilding autism, and from that scale comes how slow it plays. They're opposite ends in the spectrum.

C is in direct contrast with A and B. If you have matches that fast, then why would I even want heavy basebuilding? Why would I want to put a lot of work into designing my base when it will all be gone in 5 minutes? As for B, size is relative. Doesn't matter how large your map is technically if all the units can move across it in just a dozen seconds, and I don't see your matches lasting 10-15 minutes if units take long moving from one side of the map to the other.

E can be achieved with size. If you lose a battle but it will be 10 minutes before the enemy actually reaches your base, you get time to rebuild, harass, and prepare.

I want some of what you're smoking.

It hasn't been updated for a long time. Did you properly extract the mods?

I really want to help you because I want to play RA3 coop with someone but modded to shit so it's fun(tm)

Men of War (series) is better.

Also,

I know it's more in the realm of RTT, but hey if we can discuss Blitzkrieg we can discuss other RTT's, but arguably one of my favorite things that the Total War and other games with an "Overworld" map did was the process of having to actually raise an army.

I'd love to see a game that really goes into autism-tier depth with raising an army, having to manage things like training, food, ammunition, equipment, morale, even selecting officers and when to hand out shiny medals so your troops know you care. But the best part would just be the experience of just seeing your shitty hastily trained militia go into battle for the first time.

Well what if the approximated time is 20 - 35 minutes?
Then you would much more time for normal base building.
As for heavier base building elements what if the tech tree was not linear to an end point, and instead was sideways.
This could allow for early game zerg rush of almost any one unit type the player invests into. or building heaps of defenses early on to turtle.

What do you think?

But please, keep mumbling 'mah gooks' and leave a game made for people with three digit IQs

Most tech trees are linear in 1 direction BECAUSE of how most RTS are balanced (y counters x counters z counters y. With artillery, air or building busters as oddballs and ocassionaly y unit being unstoppable if too many are made). You'd have to make it deviate trifectas in a way that turn into logical circular strategies.

Like say, infantry units are top notch in the early game because they're spammable and still deal decent damage vs tanks which are wet paper towels in armor against them, but lategame with tech infantry don't have good range vs late defenses and tanks shoot the equivalent of nukes out of their gun barrels. But this would limit the game greatly if one circ strat is better than the others in all respects.
I think TA does this slightly right with Kbots, Vehicles, Air, Navy(if avaible) and Hovercraft tech trees for both factions. But even then Air tends to dominate all in the base game due to firepower+mobility outplaying everything else outside of mass T2 Navy, which is a bigger investment in resources and still does not compare in firepower.

And yes, increasing the limit to 30mins or more would allow for better engagements, back-n-forth agression and scale of both unit counts and map terrain. It is still quite limiting but it's certainly doable at those ranges.

Carlos, I know that's you.

Would it be possible to eliminate strength / weakness rock paper scissors from the system?
My model is to have many types of base defenses and units available from the get go. essentially they would be very similar stat wise.
Very poor illustration but you could carry across the basic idea to all types of units this way.
Infantry costs $50 does 50 attack and has 500 health
Tank costs $500 does 500 attack and has 5000 health
This would leave room for usefulness of different types of units rather than spamming the best bang for buck DPS cookie cutter unit combo.

Each unit could have a unique play style that way.
Another idea i've got is to have support powers that play like an ultimate ability in overwatch. charge up over time and then release some faction specific power up to your units. this could be fun for sparking spontaneous pushes and saving the match from becoming a stalemate.

There are more ways to balance units other than Pricing, Damage and Health values. You can also give them different Speeds, Maneouvrabilities, Aiming/Target Adquisition and Ranges for both viewing and firing, as well as Projectile behaviour and deviation. A 50$ infantry could have far better view range and maneouvrability than a 500$ tank, so it can sneak up behind it and fuck it up by his own despite the tank's massive advantages in firepower, health and speed. Or you could mix up an infantry with a tank, the tank could have more weapon range than its view range so it'd be able to take out enemy tanks from a safe distance thanks to the infantry.

You could introduce landscape blockers like water, mountain steepes or foliage that certain units can trasverse and use as natural blockades and chokepoints vs superior units, or maybe introduce terrain destruction to allow said units to bypass the blockade after drilling it in.

That would help lots. Really depends on how heavy a basebuilding we're talking about. Are we talking Starcraft, Stronghold, or even going out of the strict RTS genre and into something like Anno? In all but the extreme cases (the last one), ~30 minutes should be fine, after all if a player focuses on basebuilding and turtling chances are he'll drag it out to twice that anyway.

What do you mean? You mean a branching tree that doesn't join up at the end (so it isn't branching paths to same end point)? Would be a nice change, I think CoH did something similar with doctrines, if you see each doctrine as a separate branch and you can only pick one, effectively specializing you into a certain style of play.

Going off on an idea guy tangent here not related to your post: Why do RTS games have to be around 20-40minutes per match? Nobody bats an eye if Anno takes 5-10+ hours to finish, nor does anyone complain when a Dominions 4 game takes 2 months to finish, you simply save your game and keep going another time. Wish we had a massive scale RTS that did just that, let the games run upwards of 3 hours and people can just save the damn thing then keep going later. Obviously this would need incentive, so a hefty basebuilding component (so hefty that city/empire building would be a more apt name) and a very large scale would be needed.

The RPS model is the most basic balancing model in RTS. It's both the easiest to get right and the most boring (though a well made RPS is better than a fucked up attempt at something else). It also kinda fits RTS because it requires relatively little micro. I generally prefer a situational soft-counter model as seen in more tactical and realistic games (Mius Front, Men of War, etc.) where there are almost no hard counters, your 25p AT gun can take out a 500p heavy tank if you use it well, but at the same time if the heavy tank is used well, it can easily one shot dozens of aforementioned AT guns. The issue with this system is that it all hinges on player tactics (and strategy) which usually ends up needing a lot of micro, so if you have to do that and handle your macro at the same time, it's a nightmare. On top of that the aforementioned games have relatively massive gameplay and unit depth, that kind of balancing wouldn't work with, say, Starcraft where it doesn't even matter what direction your unit is taking hits from.

I'd still argue you should try to get away from the RPS model as much as you can or at least make it more complex, always hated rigid hardcounter systems. Like said, you can balance things in many more ways than just health, cost, and damage.

Burn in hell commie

Civ VI is just an over-designed Civ V. I added one of the two but I'm too lazy to add the other. Remove whichever Theatre of War is inferior.

R.U.S.E.
One of the few games to effectively cut down on micro and allow for varied factions without significant balance issues. Designed for consoles (still primarily played on PC) and I suspect this limitation is why it was more about out-thinking your opponent than out-APMing him. The game also does a great job of allowing you to zoom in for pretty but zoom out for an abstract/uncluttered view. Units will neatly stack up when you zoom out too. The style was supposed to be tabletop wargame and that's done well enough. There were flaws in the game but they could have been easily fixed and the fact that a not insignificant number of people have 2000-3000 hours+ playing it speaks volumes about the need for similar games. The same devs without limitations made Wargame, a game that (in my opinion) learnt all the wrong lessons from R.U.S.E.

True, RUSE was far better than wargame, especially in terms of being able to carry out offensive operations

In Wargame, you'd only pull off major pushes with either absurd losses or if you were facing an incompetent player
Not to mention the godawful single player and the French dicksucking behind the scenes
I'm still mildly upset about what they did to era decks in Red Dragon

It was interesting, I'm not sure if it's really worth it due to the weird online upgrade system which I wasn't a fan of, but the building was nice

Ah yes, I know AI cheating is a common concept but having it literally cheat by bombing your command vehicles despite being 100% hidden is a step to far. Red Dragon fixed that but the AI now only has one tactic: deploy twice the limit you've got and attack move to the rear of your deployment area.
Don't get me fucking started on that.
Deck building is honestly the only part of the game I truly enjoyed and era decks were part of that.

Nervous hissing.

What

Hey, at least they're introducing Forgeworld minis into the game. ***I desperately want this to be good.*

it's really not going to be

True, but I'll still pirate it just to experience it all firsthand.

Also, what exactly is wrong with Eldar getting Phoenix Lords? I'm not so fluent in Eldar lore can you explain? I guess it's like Space Marines summoning Primarchs in 40k.

It's too late for that
The "community managers" were a clear sign of what the game is going to end up being

It feeds into the whole assfaggots style gameplay
Plus you're now putting beings in the game who in the lore, can single handedly burn entire worlds, stop hive fleets on their own, and generally require more than a company of blood ravens to stop. Thematically, it's a very stupid move and can be used to justify similar ridiculous things for the other factions.

I don't get this meme

Eugen are French devs and in Wargame France ended up being absurd for a while until public outcry forced them to be nerfed

Oh before right now. Because I'm looking at their deck and alone it's pretty eh, no really exciting unit that stands out or anything. Though when combined with Germany I guess they might be good.

I play Footman Frenzy and some RPG maps with my cousins every now and then.
If I go on bnet on my own, it's usually for the ranked matches since customs are flooded with bots. Blizz did say they'd fix the issue a few months ago, so maybe they will.

what game

Why not zeroK in Spring if you are gonna play a 3D notTA, or just straight up 3d TA in that engine.

I want to combine civ 3 & Sim City 4 /w

Hearts of Iron & VIcky to flesh things out/give the game more indepth

youtube.com/watch?v=-Szn9IwWQq4
It was a related video for me for some reason…

Warcraft 3 custom maps
It was probably the golden age of RTS, if you discount total annihilation, But even then it was significantly more popular
Then they made WoW, raped the lore, Continued to rape the lore through 7+ expansions and when they made starcraft 2 which was going to be the 2nd Golden age, They when complete jew and tried to own maps
This led to Blizzard groups attacking each other other World of starcraft from which i hear wasn't that bad a game
The whole cluster fuck killed off any hope for starcraft 2 to become popular, which has failed spectacularly considering starcraft 1 is more popular at the moment

Supposedly Dota 2 custom maps is trying to recreate warcraft 3s custom maps but i dont think it will ever happen with valves constant censoring, DRM and a shitload of other bullshit

I don't know if it's my newbie English but I didn't understand this sentence, please elaborate

It certainly won't have the level of social commentary that Raimi put in his films.

Stat me threads are shitposting. You know that.

But there are people who have actually drowned in semen

My spirit shall still carry forth
Hopefully my feelings will reach the bot

not really. they'll notice. especially with the tags, they'd scan and be like 'this isn't right'.

if you're that hard up for cash, then just dont buy new jeans.

Sorry, the secound one is not really AiE. But user dose make an appearence…

What are you trying to say? I mean, I literally couldn't understand what you are trying to say.

I still stand by it, what ever it actually was…

They're toys, expensive toys. The real thing can't compare, it's not going to fuck you back. An escort would probably be a better investment. Just get one who looks as close to the celeb you want and go to town for a couple of hours. Eventually you'd get tired of the toy and you'll soon realize how much of a waste of money it is.

FUCK
EVERYTHING

You only have to make a model once.
From there, all that's necessary is giving it animation and a few extra textures for facial expressions, clothing or whatever else you need.

NIGGER

Should have been a "professional Overwatch player"

That way you can hack all you want without risk of getting banned

What the shit is that all about?
Wrong thread?

I think it's Bui spam.

i wanted to make a detailed post but it wont go through. the gist of what i want to say is they did a lot of basic things right (which is more than can be said of the games that have come after it), but the more lofty goals and gimmicks they set feel kind of clunky.
namely, interplantary invasion. and my opinion is formed having only played a yarrharred beta version.

Can we talk about Kingdom Wars 2: Battles again? Anyone here happens to own it and tried to cheat in? This game has some seriously bitchy cheat protection that I can't bypass, this is probably the first time this ever happened to me.

Fucking kill yourself.

im assuming you mean in singleplayer? thats kind of bizarre. now why would that be? do singleplayer components carry over to multiplayer?

yes singleplayer, both in online as well as offline mode. The game itself always runs in online mode, if you want to play offlane if you to either start steam in offline mode or chose that option in the settings.

I first thought it was so hard to cheat because the game calculated all the shit online and just displayed the numbers on your computer so I started it in offline mode but was still not able to track certain things down.

This
Any list that lacks Empire Earth III in the God tier is automatically absolute shit

EndWar had that system. Your units would attempt to evacuate the battlespace once their HP dropped low enough or they took enough casualties. Ofcourse, if the unit was destroyed before it could be evacuated, that unit would be destroyed permanently.

Your units would be assigned callsigns, and they would maintain those callsigns through the campaign. You would upgrade those said units with different component upgrades. Say a tank unit could be upgraded with anti aircraft cannons that would allow them to deal with air-targets. Too bad game wasn't all that good though, even though it had some okay ideas.

ALERT
UNDERAGE FAGGOT DETECTED
ADMINISTRATING BABY SOOTHER

Whoops I meant to say administering. Now I look like a faggot.

Looking to get into RTS games, but never even tried one before. Which one should I start with? I already own Stronghold Crusader and the Extreme version. Why is the regular version better?

Anyone played Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation?
I've been playing it this weekend on impulse and the game is really fun so far.

It runs pretty well considering I play at High+ settings @1440p and there's over a thousand units on screen at any given time, all with their own animations.

user, I….

also why do people like Age of Mythology so much? It gets old after like 2 matches, it has very little depth

From what I've heard isnt it turning into a dlc-fest?
or am i thinking of the non-escalation version?

Nah it's a case of Escalation being a Standalone that's apparently noticeably better than the original version and original version owners get like 10% off only or something like that. Out of 40 USD.

what about Total Annihilation: Kingdoms?
It has some cool units concepts, and play like TA, but with more diverse factions.

Was it the people who carried water bottles on their heads that got the ice dragons?
I know one of the fuckers had shitty flying ghost ships
Still i prefer TA over TA:K, TA just felt more balanced

Of course, that doesn't mean kingdoms isn't good too
Beastmen were the best race because they could steal other races builders and give you all their structures/units

fucking dozersniping botnigger

Indeed. From what i've read on the forums the head AI programming fag will be making some changes to the medium AI to make it more fair to play against. I like the challenge of the current AI myself but the medium AI right now plays like the Hard AI of the original game.

What's still got me pissed is how useless the GLA Hijacker and Jarmen Kell have become.

They made it so no dozers can be hijacked, half the vehicles have anti-infantry guns, the hijacker moves too slow to catch most of them and they added a detection ring that auto de-stealths him when he gets close. Jarmen Kell also lost his snipe vehicle upgrade because of faggots not being able to handle losing their precious fucking vehicles that aren't backed up with infantry and just generally made him into one of the worst hero units.

Shockwave was fucking great but ever since then the lead creator has a bizarre hatred for the GLA's old tendency to capture vehicles.

Which ironically enough didn't stop them from giving these abilities to the ECA in the form of nerve gas and Fenrir Tanks. Which makes no fucking sense because by the late game the ECA are one of the last factions that will need to steal other teams vehicles whereas it makes sense for a guerilla faction like the GLA.

I can at least find solace in the knowledge that the FinalBig editor lets me undo these retarded 'improvements to balance".

you have an upgrade where he fucking doubles his speed, most tank mounted anti-infantry guns are completely useless (sans the ECA tank, where you have to put an infantryman in)
The balance is beyond fubar, did the russians really need a fucking tank that can 2 shot the overlord tank, they removed hitscan AAA for china, only to give it to the US and the god damned range on the sensor array is ridiculous

Really? 25% is double now?

The Hijacker is extremely situational and unless your opponent is a complete retard who sends lone vehicles at you, the hijacker won't be capturing them.

Indeed. But go help you if you try to tell the circle-jerk Dev team that their game could use improvements. That will get you a snarky reply and a ban.

Easy AI uses hijackers in groups and they tend to be cunts early game. What doesn't help too is that the fuckers survive the vehicle's death.

Not as ridiculous as the bloodhound "that F-35 volley is going to be chaffed away :^)"
its weapon damage sucks for a 1000 credits vehicle though

Just played ashes of singularity and a gotta say, it was not worth the time it took to download.
Feels like a bunch of lazy devs decided they would make something like SupCom and found out that making such game is hard, and settled with a gimped, lazy and uninspired version of it.

there's a reason why it's considered a tech demo and this from the people who made sins of a solar

Well, seeing as i didn't liked sins for much of the same reasons, i think they are being true to their design choices.

New thread when?

it's not on page 13 yet

I feel like "irredeemable filth" is too harsh on Halo Wars.

No shit that's what it is compared to PC titles, but as a casual thing it's fine and as a RTS on console it's a miracle it's as decent as it is.

Also

what about now?

You are now immune to hijackers.

Or

they die like flies and have shit detection range
GLA has a retarded amount of infantry erasers and units that can kite for days a slow faction like Russia and the EU
Like you said, the hijacker is an extremely situational unit, not a frontline one