Sees a bunch of "What FF is the best" threads pop up

When will the FFVI love stop? The game is mediocre at best. Final Fantasy V is considerably better, and I never understood the love that VI gets.

Because it's the the last of the 'Great FF' series. Everything after that is just a cesspool of shit.

IX was pretty good

5 = 9 = Tactics
1 = 4 = 6
7 = 10
2 = 8

There. Official tier list.

Also, from what it seems

13 = 15

I thought VI was fantastic. V only has better gameplay in my opinion, but it has the best gameplay in the whole series.

IX was also fantastic.

Good shit m'boy

FF6 is top tier and better from FF5 in every aspect apart from character building.

Which it has none of. No characters go under any meaningful change through the game. The only arguments can be made for Terra. Kefka is a hilariously bad one dimensional villain and is only memorable because he has the depth of every redditor's favorite super villain.

IX is overrated shit.

He's talking about mechanical customization not characterization.

You're describing 8.

He's describing basically any entry into the series that's not 5, 9 or Tactics.

nigger you are stupid

Well technically.

FF9 is literally the MEME entry of the series. The whole game is nothing but an unending "Look who can get the most reference" shitride.

Literally 8.

I remember when you used to get ridiculed for saying literally too often. I guess reddit took over.
Sure thing reddit, sure thing.

The whole thing screams "Fangirl" shit

I would agree with that but not with placement in the tier list, because they can't really be properly reckoned in a simple hierarchical list since they're both perfectly good games gimped by bad leveling systems. They should be both be set off to the side. Arguably the NES version of FF1 should be too with its spell system.

5 = 9 = Tactics → → 1 (Original Version)
1 = 4 = 6 → → 2 = 8
7 = 10
13 = 15

Then they're not perfectly good games, they're otherwise good games.

I don't get it either. I've tried playing 6 a few times now and get so bored I just quit. 5 is great other than the terrible last dungeon.

You are given full rein to change anything you want to perfect FFXII, what do you do?

The battle system is now FFX-2's. Everything else is exactly the same.

Being able to put a character on point so they can hold the line for melee or to stay out of hugging distance for ranged and magic.
More hunts and sidequest.
Having recruitable guest characters. Maybe even a few of them monsters.

Balthier as main character.
Game begins when Rabanastre is attacked.
Game plays like FFX-2 except replacing dresshpheres with classes. Classes are "Crystals" and Each character's weapon is a class grid.

That and erased Vaan and Panelo (like ).

Unlockable Judge class.

9 & Tactics are the two best games. I don't have any facts to back that up, those are just the two I enjoyed the most. I just looked at what 15 looks like & holy shit, I'm so glad I stopped playing these games after X.

Since they're out, you should add more non-hume characters. Add a female Garif geomancer, Bagamnan and one of the Nu Mou from the Necrohol sidequest as permanent party members, as well as a female moogle, to keep things gender balanced. Playble lady Seeq lanista? Playable Venat sidequest ala Laguna in 8?

The possibilities are endless.

Starting Classes:
Balthier: Sky Pirate
Fran: Hunter
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Paladin
Vaan: Thief

Lets say Panello doesn't exist. Balthier and Fran meet Vaan on their mission as usual but he's just some random street rat ala Aladdin.

Nah make them guest characters too. Functionally they already are basically just controllable guests as far as the story goes.

Something tells me that's going to be an utterly useless class.

I downloaded FFX for the pc with that remastered edition out of nostalgia, i remember my brother used to play it and i played very little, mostly watched.

I remember it was open world with the airship but so far i'm stuck on rails. I even failed to open the secret doors in the fayths and i can't go back in. I'm almost at the snow place, getting ready to kick seymour's ass because i alredy know he's a dick.

When does it become open world? Should i bother going back all the way just for some items? It would take a while even with 4x speed and no encounters turned on. Is blitzball worth the time? Is the kimarhi good? How do i git gud in general?

… Why the fuck are you bothered by something like this?

12 already has a fuck ton of passive effects involving weather/mist conditions, and they were great in FFT (for stat growths) and FFTA2. However, I'd give them four abilities with different effects based on climate/weather. First would be a simple elemental attack, second a party buff, third a debuff and fourth a wild card ability tied to the area in question. So casting in a desert would do earth damage, give the party protect and inflict slow or blind or something. Maybe give an MMO style aura buff as well.

Keep the story as similar as possible. Vaan gets caught up in everything, same as previously, but then he and Penello stay with Larsa after they get to Bujerba and B'gamnan is put in your custody. The main plot difference this makes is that he won't be the Clan Hunter, but his party still will be. That can be where he gets his final limit break or something.

Only right before the final dungeon. You're thinking of X-2, which is open from the beginning.

oh fug
Can i get anything cool before, like anima or some nice weapons, or am i forced to go all the way like"the way it's supposed to be played t. developers"?

Nope. You have to get to Zanarkand before any meaningful side content opens up.

fuuuuuuug- Ok give it to me doc. I'm past that machine gun machina that silences magic, how many hours till zanarkand?

You can get Yojimbo right when you get to the Calm Lands, and the Monster Arena as well, but that's the last area before Zanarkand.

You're about halfway. The story is about to pick up.

Because it's good. I'd say it's a tie with V because they achieve different things in a great way

let me explain.

most of this board is americucks, these americucks never got to experience final fantasy 5. all they had when they were kids was 1, 4 and 6, renamed 1, 2, and 3 on the NES and SNES.

so today they look at 4 and 6 like they were good because they had nothing else, and they hate the best ones like 7, 8, and 12, because "they're not like muh childhood FF :,("

I think most people here are drastically younger than you suspect. Also, 4, 5 and 6 were re-released for the PSX in the US. 4 came bundled with Chrono Trigger (for some reason) and 5 and 6 were bundled together.

7 could be argued to be good if heavily overrated but you are meme'ing too hard with the other two.

7 was better than 6. 6 had too many characters with too little going on, and a pretty boring skill system and combat that never felt remotely challenging.

FFVI is perhaps the only game in history that made me actually care for more than 3-4 characters.

really? I didn't care for any of them.

its the earthbound of final fantasy

thats some sick oekaki user
haha get it?

Counterpoint: 4 Heroes of Light is an attempt to actually do that.

V is best. The only bad thing about 5 is that most monsters were designed by that Nomura hack. Amano only did the bosses related to Exdeath (the one he sends after you in the third world).

Every License on the Grid now increases in cost by a few points each time a license is bought, making it more and more expensive to build out your characters to perfect supermen.

Kick Vaan and Penelo out of the story and give us Larsa and Vossler instead. Add the double-speed and dual-language options from IZJS, but nothing else. Oh, and fix the audio quality, even if it means rerecording the lines.

Fix the story to be less "chase the crystals!" and more political drama.

the monsters were ok imo.
Standart stuff, but if it was your first rpg it sufficed. Last bosses indeed looked like they meant business though.

Remove the faggot twink dicksucker as the main character and continue where the lying prelude ends, you are a knight trying to get trough with a runaway princess and go from there.
Have Balthier and the bunny girl going on wacky adventures, ala Skies of Arcadia.
Make a game about bunch of bros going on monster hunting missions.
Make the game have actual combat system and not that abortion of a single player, real time mmo shit we ended up with, give me some fucking turn based combat even if it was in real time like old FF games.

What's the best version of FF4, given these options?

SNES, PSX, GBA, DS remake, PSP?

The style is a homage to the super-deformed sprites of the SNES era. Everything is a homage to that era. That's why it's great. It's nothing like the lazy pop culture memes Nintendo and Gearbox insert into their games.

But the story was dark as fuck
Oh, you are retarded

6 bored me to tears, got more enjoyment out of 4, 5 and X. 5 and 9 are my favorites.

DS remake and PSP are the best for different reasons.

If you never played FFIV before go with the PSP version, othewise go with the DS version.

Pain in the fucking sphincter to get what you wanted out of everyone else's stuff but if you had everything through cheats or autism you could reach FFV Freelancer levels of brokenness.

The PSP release has redone higher resolution art, optional arranged tracks and the post game content of GBA one. Its actually very faithful to the original and the arrange OST is pretty good. Don't bother with Interlude or After Years as both of those are trash and a massive waste of time.

The DS remake is a full blown overhaul with new shit up the ass. In my opinion its the definitive one because of how much shit it adds and changes for the better. The game as a whole is a lot more challenging and the NG+ is a nice addition.

If you played VI when it was new then it was III and V didn't exist yet.

In defense of kefka: at the time in gaming every villain had to be justified for trying to kill everything. They wanted to stop violence, they lost a kid and needed to bring order to the world, ect.

Kefka did not. That's why he stands out in peoples minds. He wasn't imitating the joker, the joker imitated him.

Many FF games target different audiences and while some are obviously handled better than others (2 having a good leveling system on paper but terribly broken in practice is a good example), they usually tend to not be down right bad. Mediocre at worst.

I don't think there's a single best FF but it's better to recognize which ones are worth playing and why. Like playing X-2 for the combat, V for the class customization, XIII for the lore (just watch it instead or read up on it since that would probably be more entertaining than playing the first game), VI XII for the plot and characters.

Saying all that, XII is my favorite and it did come with a great amount of gameplay flaws that were ironed out in the IZJS version.

FF is a decent series yet nearly every RPG series takes what it does and does it better. Arguing the best FF is like arguing over what the best CoD is. There are much better FPS games out there but as a casual game, some aren't bad.

2 is on GBA is pretty good, it fixed most of the problems the original game had.

Those sprites looked that way due to technological limitations. It just looks stupid in FFIX.

FFIX fans have fucking shit taste.

Mate did Zidane shoot your dog or something, awful chip on your shoulder about FF9

FFVIII is the best
Squall Lionheart is dead
FFXV will be great
Monster Hunter should be ported to PC
Nintendo is shit
This isn't bait, contrary to popular belief
Mark is a sweaty Jew
Nixon was right
Why is mint the benchmark of freshness?
Rob Thomas has never made a bad song
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was great
Irn Bru is the best soft drink
God does indeed hate Fags
Timesplitters will never get a "proper" sequel
Down syndrome is actually another race
Cadbury Cherry Ripe is the best chocolate
Rape is always a viable option
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

It holds up way better today than 8's attempt at Dawson's Creek photorealism.

he was though. Also, nice dubs.

No, Square did, when they claimed they were making an homage to the earlier games and delivered a boring mess instead that FFVI fans latch onto because it isn't VII or VIII.

FFIX has become the "well that one was good, cause its kinda like the classics" whenever bad FFs are brought up. No you niggers, FFIX is shit and always has been. It isn't anything like the classics, has shitty characters, a shitty plot, shitty gameplay, and an awful art aesthetic. It is nothing like the classics. It was nothing more than a lie.

Fuck off retard.

Shit. Taste.

I can't understand comparing 5 and 6, they're miles apart with 6 being better in almost every way (jobs were kinda cool but too exploitable). 5 and 4 is a closer comparison.

It's also furries favorite game for some reason. Which explains why it's heavily defended here.

Finally someone gives 1 the love it deserves. Agree 100%

6 > 4 > 7 > 12 > 5 > 10 >>> 13
I didn't finish 8, 9, or 10-2 so leaving them out. I refuse to start 13-2 or 13-3. 12 is going to make people mad but it's genuinely enjoyable if you treat the first 60 hours as the tutorial. 10 is massively overrated and has similar linear railroading that fans complained about in 13 but for some reason they accept.

The point isn't as much what one is the "best" it's more what one is the least worst, that's FFVI.

Final Fantasy was never a good series, none of the stories were good, none of the characters were good, the gameplay was never good, Getting the flying craft was cool, the environments in the PS1 era were cool.

If FF7 never left midgar and instead had you moving around the city opening up interlinked areas of it, I would call it the best.

When people talk about Final Fantasy they aren't talking about the spinoffs, fuck off.

I fucking hate 6, 9's a favorite. I liken it most closely to 4 due to fixed jobs but Tactics-like progression gives a legitimate incentive for retaining and using older weapons. Characters aren't boring (save for Freya due to her subplot practically vanishing for almost all of the game), plot's a damn sight better than most FF games, >crying about FF gameplay, art direction serves its purpose and allows for more expressive characters than the previous two games.

Most furries didn't play it and latch onto Freya or Zidane, or that Steiner and Amarant are the only human party members.

Wait, no, I take that back, Garnet's pretty boring too. Shame she has the best ass

I also notice that, and people in ironically saying fam, lit, smh, thicc and assorted niggerisms.

*unironically

It's almost like it's popular internet slang and Holla Forums isn't as insular as we'd like to think or something.

It is nothing like FFIV aside from basic FF trappings.

You have to be joking.

Okay, now I think you are legitimately retarded.

When the game does FF gameplay badly it is something to comment on.

By making all the characters look ridiculous on purpose. Not just ridiculous with the notion you imagine they look like the official character art, no, they actually look stupid on purpose.

Giving them cute silly models doesn't make them more expressive than fully bodied models like in FFVIII. They actually have less detail.

Rotating cast, multiple worlds, continual character rotation, early access to airships, multiple airships. I can go on. They're very similar.

FFV gets no love because it wasn't released in the west until way letter as part of a budget pack that even if a lot of people bought nobody ever played. FF6 was the first RPG most people played with the closest thing to a job system. Also it has a thick creamy nostalgia coating. It's still good though I played it for the first time in university and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tactics is linked with 12. Not a spin off anymore.

Oh shit Dirge of Cerberus is linked with FF7 I guess we should count that shit too.

So Dirge of Cerberus is a mainline Final Fantasy?

Technically it is.

No, because it is shitty. Tactics is good enough that it must be considered in all discussions of real Final Fantasy.

So Mario Party is part of the mainline Mario Platformer games?

Can you just fuck off already.

Tactics is still a spinoff, it doesn't count. Why would you want to count Tactics with the shitfest that is the Final Fantasy mainline anyway, I even liked Tactics Advanced more than the rest of the mainline FF games.

It looks better than Nomura's shit

Yep, warm and cozy with 8 :^)

Literally the only thing.

FFIV had one world. If you multiple "overworlds" that started with FFIII.

I don't think you are being redundant with your rotating cast bit, so I'm going to need you to explain what you mean with this.

You get an airship in FFIII at the second fucking town twenty minutes in. Plus this is really fucking stretching to begin with.

Pretty much every FF, and again FFIII did it first (and the most.)

In the generic "like half of the series" sort of way. Nothing like FFIV in quality of characters, story, or gameplay.

The quality of railroading and story is the difference. From what I remember, you were going through 3-4 railroads in ff13 at the same time, half (or more) of these were extremely frustrating because the characters were shit/could not relate meaning the only reward for going through it is getting to another railroad with more enjoyable characters.

10 was more cohesive and felt like an actual pilgrimage (a pretty acceptable reason to be railroaded imo). Easier to ignore characters you hated when the ones you like are in the same scene.

Also could be argued that ff10 does a better railroad than 13 purely because of the cast.

10/10 good shit.

When will we get a Final Fantasy that is actually in Amano's artstyle in-game

Never, because Amano doesn't work for Square Enix anymore.

This word just means "meme reference nostalgia binge" and is cancer. All homage is fucking cancer. It's literally just "HEY LOOK YOU REMEMBER THIS HAHA WOW".
If it's not 100% original, it's 100% shit. End of fucking story.

Nigger almost all of those rebuttals are "NO IT'S BAD" and you have the audacity to cry retard, at this point it's either bait or you've got the IQ of a wet mop. My vote's the latter since you think realistic/anime style for FF7 and 8 allows for more expressive characters than FF9's more cartoony ones.

Did you know you can get a gold chocobo in about a half hour through memory manipulation? I just did that shit immediately after Cloud left, this is gonna be a fun playthrough.

I thought VI started out really strong but went downhill later. I would not call it bad but I don't get it being towards the top of every list. It lacked focus or something like that.

oh and I didn't think kefka was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. He got beat so often he never really seemed like a threat until he became the main villain and even then he just sits in his tower. honestly I think of him as a rather poor antagonist.

IV and VI were the first ones that many of us played on our SNES.

stay mad, trumpcucks

I love the story throughout, all of the characters, and the many cool sidequests and scenes in the world of ruin, but I can't defend the gameplay.

Everything relating to characters and combat is very badly designed, and those systems really start to fall apart in the second half. Out of all the FFs it's probably the easiest one to turn all of your characters into invincible ultima 9999 damage spammers, you can pretty much do it by accident in fact. Entire stats are broken, many spells are too. Shit.