I tried posting on Holla Forums but I didin't get much of a response. I'd like to get a Oryx Pro from System 76...

I tried posting on Holla Forums but I didin't get much of a response. I'd like to get a Oryx Pro from System 76, but it does not support vt-d despite the cpu being able to do it. Normally I'd just dual boot Windows 7 but it's apparently not supported and the drivers for it won't work. I don't think you can un poz Windows 8 or 10 so I'm not sure what I should do. The pickings for good laptops with linux support seem slim and as much as I love my x200, it's really only useful and/or comfortable for vary basic stuff now. Any suggestions? I should also add that I already have a desktop so don't bother trying to get me to build one, I'm not updating until after zen. Also system 76 thread because I know vary little about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkpenguin.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install gentoo

I heard system 76 just rebrands generic laptops (I forget from which company) and installs linux on them. There's no reason to get one because you're guaranteed to overpay and all you get is a no-name brand and some questionable "support" that you don't need in the first place

Also
you can build your own laptop, ya know

For what purpose? Seems like a waste of money. However, why do you absolutely need to have linux support? Why not just install Windows 7? Assuming you're just gonna play some games on it, then just do that and use your current laptop as a temporary non-gaming laptop until you can afford to get something better?

I know that might sound counterproductive, but how the hell am I supposed to know what you're gonna use this thing for? If it's just for vidya, then fuck off with linux and just use windows, and make sure you don't do anything but play games on it. Disconnect it from the internet if you're worried about data mining/collection.

Clevo I think. They make the hardware play better with linux then the stock ones do. I know they do more but I have never played with one in person so I'm not sure what else they do.

Any links? The closest thing I could think of to making a laptop would be those super old barebones laptops back when intel still made socketed mobile cpus.

I'd like a new laptop, I'd like it to support linux better then my current main, and sometimes I need to do desktop stuff while still being able to pick things up and move to a different location.

I'd rather not use windows 8 or 10 If I don't have to, and I am trying to switch from 7 to linux anyway.

No drivers apparently.

It's not just for games but I'd like the option to be able to play sometimes. I just want something that's on par with or near the level my desktop is at in terms of power and tons of room for expansion.

And you want a laptop that does this?

Oryx is a Destiny boss

yeah there's the "barebook" thing but that's really limited. If you really wanted to roll your own you could start with a mini-itx motherboard and a display cannibalized from an old/junk laptop. Only caveat is you might end up with sort of a suitcase form factor.

You can, I just spent the past two days doing just that with win10.

It's a pain in the ass though and I had to reinstall from usb three times due to unknown internal dependancies being broken through my fuckery which had me stuck in dead ends where I couldn't install the very specific .net version I needed for my CAD software or couldn't install the drivers for my audio interface, also that one time where I ended up with a very bizarre bug that didn't break explorer but made it run so slow it became practically non-functional.

If you wish to go down this path I would strongly advise against attempting to nuke windows defender, cortana, the app store or windows update. You may disable these services freely but don't attempt to remove them entirely from your system with any sort of expectation of a stable end result. It should go without saying that keeping backups is vital.

From my experience it seems win10 is a lot less reliable than 8.1, at least once you get under the hood and start tearing out all the bloat but for what it's worth it's a lot less cancerous than it's made out to be and it boots very rapidly. Disabling all the telemetry is trivial, there's even a handful of utilities that do it for you and as long as you know your way around regedit, gpedit and services.msc there aren't any significant challenges involved in customizing win10. Pic related is my windows folder currently with no real major cleanup done to it yet.

A couple strange things happened though as I was going through this process. Don't use microsoft's own utility to create a bootable usb drive, that only gave me a corrupted install I got nowhere with, check out rufus.exe instead. It is unknown to me if it was due to win10 or not but at one point during a reboot my bios became corrupted and I had to reflash it, your mileage may vary.

One more thing I forgot to mention is it's apparently exceedingly common to have your taskbar/start menu spaz out and not register clicks/right clicks, finding a third party start menu might be a good idea.

See this shit for example with the blank tiles showing no icons but only the application names, unless you want to take win10's poz loads in your neg hole this or worse should be expected.

If I can do it and the battery lasts more then 3 hours then yea, why not?

Thanks user screencaping for later.

Yeah but building your own laptop is complex in comparison to building a desktop pc. Almost anybody could build a desktop it's not too complicated.

The point I'm trying to make is that you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere.

Bumping for more exposure.

My advice would be to have two laptops: a Windows one solely for gaming, and that x200 for everything else.

System76 is the Apple of Linux. Overpriced trash.

Doubt

I'm not getting a laptop just to play games on. It just happens that this laptop I like can play games, otherwise I wouldn't bother with windows at all.

Care to suggest better hardware that I can buy new?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised, I've heard that Win10 can cause issues with UEFI or something along those lines.

Well gee you have any better ideas what might have caused lines of gibberish to appear in bios that a CMOS reset fixed? I sure as shit know of none.

Bump

Bump

Other anons have already said it, don't waste your money on this rebranded trash.

Get a real laptop. Disable secure boot. Install distro. Install acpi support. Buy an atheros wireless chip from think penguin and install that. thinkpenguin.com/
Done.

bump

I'd be happy to if someone could point me in the right direction. Think Penguin certainly does not stock one that suits my needs and the only other thing I could think of is dell and Lenovo. There is no way I am buying a new thinkpad after all the bullshit they have pulled.

Bump

In my 5 years of Arch Linux desktop use I have not had to deal with a tenth of the bullshit you just described and I use both wine and a virtual machine with pci passthrough. Jesus fucking Christ.

M$ usually does this by delaying service starts so you can experience the unique, wonderful lag for many minutes after the OS have "booted up". And if you have to develop for any brand of their piece of shit starting with Win7 SP1 and have to start several CPU- and disk-heavy programs after restarting - welcome to a whole new world of pain.