RPG Thread

What is the grindiest game you've ever played?

Other urls found in this thread:

info.legalzoom.com/can-church-lose-its-501c-status-21743.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cant say its the grindiest but of most recent memories neptunia. i wanted to like it but 2 grindy 4 me

Fucking millenials

Disgaea
Any Disgaea game.

I bet you bought your equips with real money faggot

Some phone game called Grindr. It was a pain in the ass trying to get to the final boss so I just gave up.

DA:I
I don't play a lot of RPGs

What few you do play aren't good RPG's either, it seems.

Paying real money for video game items was a foreign idea back when you weren't accidentally conceived

neo-neo/v/ was a mistake

Tell me about it. Also i was having trouble some time after uninstalling and thought I'd got a virus. Asked around and apparently it's part of the appeal for the more dedicated players.

I blame players.
Humanity was a mistake.

Hey, fetishes are good

And I'm talking 2004-5 era, not this modern day stuff.

good times but don't really miss it

In recent memory, MGSV. I doubt it's the grindiest, but it's pretty fucking grindy, what with all the resource allocation and waiting REAL WORLD TIME to develop your weapons and such.

Either that or full blown autism. Instead of having fun adventures, they spend all day performing their "in game job". And god forbid you want to have some fun on their server.

It is always this or that there is no good mix of it in my experience either you're the guy who roleplays all day or the guy who is obsessed with meta and won't shut up about it whenever someone ask about a skill/equipment.

Disgaea

Warframe I gave up after ice drills and penta nerf

Do mmorpgs count?

Enchanted arms?

I want From to make JRPGs again. Fuck Souls.

I support freedom of religion. Christians are fine so long as they keep their cuck drivel to themselves. Sadly in the US separation of church and state is under attack. We'll have to see if Evangelicals are going to start a new culture war.

Source: info.legalzoom.com/can-church-lose-its-501c-status-21743.html

So why isn't anyone doing anything when they champion giving shekels to Israel?

Fucking Dragon Warrior 1. I bought a game guide that had tips about what to do to win at Dragon warrior, and it was basically "grind until you hate yourself and you question your life choices."

We need another crusade

Current Year makes it possible haha

Valhalla Knights 2

Everything about this game is a monotonous grindfest. There's barely any fast travel. I like the game because it has a collection system where you can gain all different types of weapons, items, and even job classes but I wouldn't reccommend this game to anyone. The only reason I want to get a vita is to play VK3

Grindiest game ever was The 7th Saga. I never did manage to get through it.

Good goy.

We're going to Israel but not to help

Pre-8.5 versions of Tibia are the most grindan shit ever, hands down. No level caps, no exp quest, you put 1000 hours into leveling and still you are not even in server's top 100. Bots don't cut it for anything higher tier than early mid level hunting spots.
Also horrible passive runemaking grind by botters/macroers because you cannot do shit without stockpile of healing/attack runes.
The grind is almost nofun but at least pvp is sick and wars are crazy.
Too bad devs ruined new versions so hard that there are more people playing private pirate servers of old versions than there are both people and botters summed together at official crap servers.

I'm still playing this shit at one version 7.4 private server, a version from 12 years ago, surprisingly the most complex and fun update that this game ever had, before it all got destroyed by devs incompetence and gradual casualization.

Flyff

Gonna leave some shit vids because why not

Random pkers/lootbag thieves at new server launch

Some guys grind at half-rate server

Old war vids

Old war vids pt2

Biggest grind in video game history.

And I loved every moment of it

btw any fags playing nova ro?

WORM

Cookie clicker.

E.V.O. is pretty grindy.
There is also Flyff, the only MMO I've ever played. I stopped after getting the first class-up though.

Wurm Online

The only good cookie is a no-bake cookie.

disgaea comes to mind. some user described it as a game thats about grinding efficiently a few months ago. pretty accurate.

digital bugchasing?

Maplestory. I still have flashbacks to clearing out entire rooms of higher level enemies for .0001%xp

Hey guys, when playing an RPG, do you prefer to have only one playable character, a preset party, or a totally customizable party?

This. The XP curve is an inverse exponential and flattens out to infinity as you approach skill level 100.

Full custom party. The best feeling is when you finally have enough leather pants and bronze shortswords to distribute amongst the full party.

But the skills don't do shit beyond giving you a fucking achievement.
It's the same as stating that achievements provide gameplay.

I had a fire/poison mage during the time it was still the grindiest of grinds. Got to somewhere around level 45 I think.
Really, the only reason I stuck with it for so long was because of the friends you made. Last time I saw all the new classes 4 or so years ago I was kind of hyped, but I heard they went overboard turning it into a huge casualfest.
I don't even know what the game is like now.

I'm probably never going to touch that game again.

I just thought about this last night. Honestly, there's so many neat things you can do with MMO's, especially from a roleplaying perspective, but everything's marketed toward ADHD suffering kids who won't stick to one game and fullblown autists who rush all the fucking content and put it on a dozen different wikis so that everyone else can do the same.
Also, fuck alts.
Fuck boring crafting skills as well. Just clicking a few buttons and watching a bar fill up is the lamest shit ever. Turn it into some cool mini-game that actually engages the player and is fun to do. Damn it, it's like people don't know how to make fun things anymore.

Somewhat, but I mostly blame devs for abusing their autism.
When we got the technology to create massive worlds in 3D we got the chance to really make great things, but it's all wasted potential now that everything's about microtransactions and making games just fun enough for people to come back to.

Ideaguy'ing this hard isn't going to make my dream MMO a reality, but it's the closest I'll ever get. We just can't have nice things.

Wow the courage, I bet xe had xer house stormed by evil trump storm troopers the very next moment - I'm so scared of the times we live in. #SoBrave #NotMyPresident

One playable character, the party AI in modern games are still dumb.

Lineage II, you also lost exp on death. Damn i miss that game.

That was the best part about MapleStory!
The fact that potions were unreasonable for you to buy before level 30+ was also what made the appeal of climbing the steep curve so appealing

Can you call Disgaea an actual game?

I'd say the legitimate most grindiest game I've played is Demise. 999 levels in every guild, and you can play every guild on a character. I suppose there are probably MUDs with remort systems with more technical grinding, but not by much.

Fuck! I remember this piece of shit of a game. How can you stand playing this boring garbage?!

I'm not sure I've ever played a genuine MMORPG, but this piece of shit is definitely the most blatant, unpleasant grind I've ever experienced.

best rpg right here

It really isn't. The perfect medium for roleplaying a character with other players is through pen and paper gaming.

There's online ways to do it too.

It's hard to set up a game, but when you do, and you get a regular thing going, that's where fun lies.

Because you'll grow to know these people, you'll create your own sagas and of course you'll come across shit games, but that's where real fun lies.

And best of all, rules are flexible. Being a DM or GM is about figuring out which rules to enforce, to determine whether or not someone gets hit, what the area contains, all the rules. You can change the story as you go to suit your party, without them ever knowing.

ugh, that HUD

this is why JRPGs have menus and popups, all this stat shit brings you out of the game and tears away any mood it had.

Check this shit, the menu for SMT 1 was drab and darkened to highlight the more colorful environment, while all those fancy borders in your picture distract the eye. There's also a bunch of unnecessary information in there, the only things you need are maybe the map and the health bars, the rest should be accessible by popup menus.

It's a travesty of art direction.

Level 100 offline beastman who A-ranked all the missions here: don't be such a pussy.

I'm fairly sure i maxed all the weapon levels, too, but i'm not positive. It was years ago and i don't have access to my memory card at the moment.

This. If you want to roleplay, you need to get some friends together and play the kind of games that RPGs were originally built to emulate.

What someone really needs to do is make a virtual tabletop that isn't complete ass. Something that can allow a GM to generate a world and quickly populate it with NPCs and monsters and dungeons and shit.

UC Gundam Online, old /m/fags will know.

Alternatively pre-renewal RO.

Multiple level 200s across various PSO versions here: PSU is a tedious piece of shit that isn't even remotely fun to hunt items or level up in. Never bothered with PSU's offline mode and its cringeworthy story though, so maybe it's different. If it uses the same disgusting random-chance-of-breaking mechanic on weapon grinding that was in online mode before they patched it however then I'm sure it's even worse.

Nope, don't recall weapon breakage ever being a problem. Fairly sure i didn't have access to all the weapons or any prestige classes, though, if that's the term i want. Once i A-ranked all the missions and got the unique decorations, i mostly just ran one mission repeatedly to level 100 for weapon levels and "fun".

Grinding is never fun, though; it's accomplishment and satisfaction. PSU gave me that, which is all i cared for.

also space elf tiddies

I tried a lot of different classes and weapons and I just was never able to find any aspect about PSU's combat that was actually enjoyable. The game's crowds just aren't hitstun-able enough–it's designed to take a shit all over single player skill and force people to band around in groups to get anything done. I can't believe you managed to play it all alone for so long.

Certain skills do have milestones that unlock or improve shit. Most obvious ones are carpentry and masonry - the level directly dictates what you can build and how large it is. Bridges in particular have high skill demands.

But most other skills really have absolutely nothing to offer above certain levels.

The only rpg ive ever truly felt like id gotten nowhere in. At least in Dragon Warrior id felt some sense of pace.

The garbage skill system combined with the slow running speed, boring wasteland of a main map can guarantee hours of doing nothing.

Fug

pokemon white 2

Does anyone ever get stuck in a loop of making new characters over and over? I've got quite a few RPGs to finish but I keep getting held up by the urge to make a new character.

I used to be like you, but now I view every file as temporary. Which means that I only have this problem when it comes to my username now. I keep coming up with new usernames, and they're all bad.

The Age of Decadence has this ability to be incredibly fucking bad and incredibly fucking good at the same time. It's pretty addicting, though; I don't regret getting it.

As the name implies.

Best rpg coming through

that's not gone home

Neverwinter Nights ran on D&D 3.0's ruleset and functioned as a very easy way to make an ingame tabletop world that could be played in singleplayer/multiplayer. You could even have a player that acted as a DM.

I never really spent much time with it, but felt like the DM tools were a bit hard to access at a steady pace, having countless dropdown menus and all.
The module making tools were very neat though, simple enough for a beginner, without lacking tools for a more proficient world builder.

Playing 7th Dragon on the 3DS and its almost parodying Persona 4 at this point. You can date an fug every NPC, in a row, without stopping, without leaving the same room. One my my guys just plowed every major character, male, female, rabbit doll.

>mfw there is no vidya that even comes close to this that I haven't already played

The closest I found was Temple of Elemental Evil, and that had bugs out the ass, even with the mods

..logarithmic?

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity

It's a semi-online/local multiplay focused game, but unlike other online RPGs which use an artificially inflated grind to milk players for real-money game-cash - PSP2i never had any of that.

Grind from lvl 1 to lvl 200
Rebirth for stat boost
Repeat 5 times, and another Rebirth at lvl 160 or so for max stat boost.
(Alternately, you could Rebirth at lvl 50 and do that 620 times)

Granted, you don't NEED to max out your character, and you can handle most lvl 250 Infinity Missions pretty easily when you're only lvl 170 w/ no rebirths. Still, if you want that fully leveled character to impress your waifu, you're going to have to put in an insane amount of grinding.

Thankfully, they added free event DLC which gives insane EXP boosts to ease the grind from lvl 1 to 120 each time. Still takes hundreds upon hundreds of hours to fully level even with the boosts.

But that's literally the entire point of the game. You grind XP and Loot for the sake of making it easier to grind harder areas for better XP and Loot. A pointless self-perpetuating time sink and it's fun.

Life