What is your issue with each generation or the franchise as a whole...

What is your issue with each generation or the franchise as a whole? I see a lot of people bashing/praising Pokemon for different reasons, and I want to understand all of you individually. To make ends meet with the people in this thread/board, to improve this IP from an objectionable standpoint. I want something that will make nearly everyone nod their head and agree to.

Basically, what hits your sweet spot with Pokemon? What would you like to see more often? What has bugged you since the first gen? What has bugged you about the new gens? I want you to be as thorough as possible. Please, I'm planning a collage and would like help.

Other urls found in this thread:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_American_region_Nintendo_Network_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_American_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Crystal
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_unused_Pokémon_and_character_designs
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Game_concept_art
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Red_and_Blue
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Red_and_Green
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I feel like they've become too easy, and also not enough exploration.

More pokemon GOD/colliseum. Less 8 badges shit, more focus on somthing else.
And as much as i fucking hate open world, pokemon is one of the games that kind of needs it. Of course there should still be higher levels in different areas, but every pokemon game plays the exact same.

My issue is this shit right here. Literally naming the starting city in s/m the hawaiian word for "white nigger"

I would suggest to add difficulty options from the start, after asking the player their gender, they would have an option to choose their difficulty like so.

Starter = Easy
Middle = Normal
Final = Hard
Legendary = VERY Hard.

It does. There is no fixing that, unfortunately.
We can only improve what is around it, and not the core, unless GF decides to add 5 or 6 moves, along with a tertiary type.

Like a link between SM and GoD then, correct? Less handholding, more expansive areas that try to feel less linear. Without characters like Hau or the X/Y best friend shlick? With added colosseums around cities, that aren't mandatory trials or gyms, but simply optional side content.

As I recall "Hau'oli" actually means happy, I'm unsure if you're trying to derail the thread with bait, or legitimately offended, but this is a "Bigger, Nigger" kind of thing. It sounds similar, but has very different meaning.

I only like the Mystery Dungeons

Doing the same goddamn thing every classic Pokemon game gets stale after the third gen

So what? Generation 8 takes place in the region of Muhdik and has a town named Porchmonkey.

I enjoyed gen 4, but people who usually don't like it say it's too slow. I can understand that.

The word is happy dumbass. You didn't even pick a word that closely resembles it.

Speaking of MD, is super mystery dungeon any good, compared to explorers of sky?

I've played all the games up to BW and I think they went downhill after gen 2. People here often mention the things gen 1 or 2 did wrong, there are even pictures flying around showing all their "flaws", but those are usually things that don't matter.

Gen 1 and 2 just kept you engaged throughout the whole game. For example, the rivals in those gens were interesting. Especially in gen 1, where you were constantly reminded how much better your rival is than you, and you wanted to kick his ass. Already at the start of gen 2, your rival was shown to be a thief, and then had a change of hearts, learning that he has to "love his pokemon". That was interesting, too. At least more than the rivals in later gens, who are simply there.

Another issue with the newer gens is that you don't really have to catch many pokemon at all. Pokemon was about "catching them all" from the start, but in the newer gens, you don't really have to do it. In gen 1 and 2, pokemon were usually limited to their STAB moves and normal moves (or they learned the good moves late). In later gens, they learn more move types that are stronger, even super effective against their weaknesses, so you don't have to catch many mons at all. The point of the games is then destroyed.

I think that for the first two gens, they were just using more creativity to make games, and later they were more formulaic. That's why the later gens are worse. It's what happens to many other series too.

It has some of the most simplistic and unsatisfying "rock-paper-scissors" turn-based combat in any game ever, building a team is a horrible chore from finding and obtaining pokemon to teaching them movesets, balancing is terrible with many pokemon being easily outclassed by a handful of vastly superior pokemon, and exploration, level design, world interaction, enemy placement, and mechanical innovation are non-existent, simplistic, contrived, poorly considered, and stagnant, respectfully.

I really fail to see the draw to this series anymore other than nostalgia and a small number of hype competitive diehards that waste an enormous amount of time manipulating the games convoluted stat-growth system (if the don't just hack the game defeating the whole point of it anyways) so they can create extremely specific teams with movesets meant to grieve their opponent, which ultimately leads to both players making decisions based on what they think the other person thinks they're going to do.

On top of it all, people either defend all these faults as hand-waving it all off as a kid's game, them turn around and get upset that you're "shaming" them for playing a kid's game

Extremely boring and simplistic combat, boring and uninteresting characters(with maybe a few exceptions) and story, slow progression which means you have way too much fucking grinding to do and it boils down to going into a grassy area to fight pokemon until your pokrmons get tired, you go to the poke hospital or whatever to fix em up and rinse and repeat.

I must admit tho, thanks to those poke girls there is some pretty good hentai to be found of em.

I think it's alot better, gameplay is the shit and I like the story

But I always like the story

I want a Pokemon game that starts you in the center of a region and you choose your path from there on.

Holla Forums go home please. Just because the phrases sound similar does not mean they mean the same thing.

If you're gonna rag on the game at least find a real reason.

Nothing, Pokemon is perfect

gee i wonder why that is

So you've never played a Pokemon game before?

Pokemon hit my sweet spot when it was an adventure about you leaving home to explore the world. When there wasn't any hamfisted plot. You weren't the kid of the prophecy and when you weren't constantly babysit by friends or adults while playing.

Pokemon hit its peak as every child's fantasy in gen2, and then slowly got progressively worse. It slowly devolved into watching an anime, with people that look like they came from a circus.

I mean shit Giovanni looked like a mob boss, the past 4 main bad guys look like they came from a britney spears concert. Prof Oak and Elm were respectable professors, the latest ones are flamboyant parodies of themselves and can be identified as professors just because they were a coat.

It used to be more about making believe that the real world had Pokemon in it, but it changed into its own thing, which ruined a lot of the charm.

It's not your own personal pokemon adventure anymore, it's a written path that you can never deviate from that some 45 year old that never understood the games has decided for you.

Not only are you a faggot, you're illiterate too.

Gen 1: I have no issues with these games
Gen 2: I have no issues with these games
Gen 3: Emerald and the GC games needed to "catch them all"
Gen 4: Bullet Punch Scizor
Gen 5: Nintendo's focus on competitive, the addition of Doubled as being the main format and the rise of Smogon and cancer into the community (Do note that Smogon wasn't as big in Gen 4, especially during the Shoddy-era)
Gen 6: Mega Evolutions. Nuff-said
Gen 7: Aloha forms, and the fact that they're on the 3DS which I find a shitty platform for gaming, and will never own one again.

Why do you find the 3ds to be so shit?

I also want to note that I really fucking hate people trading hacked mons online and fighting with hacked mons even if they're "legit" or whatever.

Because I am a PC gamer, don't play games outside of my house (not even on my phone) and I expect certain things from a piece of hardware (e.g. ability to capture video / screenshots).

Also why would I Play on a 4 screen when I have two 24 monitors right in front of me?

It's an objectively bad console with a very poor library that I don't see anyone going back to in the future.

It's derivative, most of the games are subpar and both its gimmicks have never been so overplayed

False

Yeah, same with me, i guess that may be the reason i didn't fall in love with the original ds either.

Poor library? Doesn't everyone praise it because of its great library of games?

"B-b-but….that's been in the games from the firs…." You can keep repeating this, but the simple fact is that shit was never an issue before Ruby/Sapphire. You couldn't completely fuck up your pokemon by grinding efficiently in the originals or G/S. I dropped the series at sapphire and never looked back.

Nintendo's cancerous marketing strategies

Not to mention "later rev exclusive" titles.

I've never heard of this happening. Is this a thing that happens?

Also to make matters worse I forgot the *Gameboy Lite* because it was JP-exclusive.

I think he's complaining about IVs or EVs, it's really exaggerated though.

It definitely was a thing. Even the game admits it. There was an item called the muscle belt or something like that which would increase the amount of "effort points", or whatever they called them, per battle which directly influenced how much your stats went up every level.

I have CFW and even with it the games worth playing are so few you might as well not get it.

Sequel inferior in every way to the original

Apes off the WiiU title and lasts so little tha tit might as well be a demo. Also has no challenge

A graphical upgrade to WW. Despite probably being the best game on the system.

Literally the same game with "better" graphics. It's not even close to the roots that made the series famous or enjoyable. Basically nu-anime plots and shitty gameplay now.

Probably some of the worst Pokemon games ever made.

A game that tries to be pokemon while forgetting that pokemon at some point was actually fun to play and not about the shitty plot

Probably one of the worst in the franchise, Doesn't even have support for a second stick for quick smashes.

what were they thinking?

I don't know how anybody could play this for more than half an hour. It's just not fun and there's so few events that you'll get tired of it very quickly.

Capcom's try to revive a series that was already past its welcome a decade ago. None of the new games surpass the old ones in any way.

Aborted version of 8 with Wii to tie people over until that came out

Fucking remakes

You could play these games on PSP and get the same exact experience. It's amazing how little they need to change in a series to get people to buy the next iteration

Probably started off as a ALTTP remake but they forgot to make it its own game. Adding a gimmick to a game you already played doesn't make it better, especially if the dungeons have to be piss easy so that you can complete them in any order

A legitimately good idea that gets kinda fucked by poor online play. Pretty fun though.

A very standard 2D sidescroller. Doesn't really do anything special.

Again, extremely derivative from its sequels, adds almost nothing new. More like a do-over on better hardware.

Fuck if I know why people still like this series. Between furry references and the same retarded anime plots the main games suffer from it should've ended a long time ago.

It's a mediocre console with mediocre games. Nothing is terrible, but none of them are a system seller or something that is absolutely groundbreaking.

You have no fucking idea how EVs work and you complain about them.

Gen 1: Lacking quality of life and balance improvements from Gen 2 that made Pokemon less frustrating to play. Still holds up.
Gen 2: I have no issues.
Gen 3: No connectivity to Gen 1 and 2 games. Featured a lot of Pokemon that were really pointless remakes of Gen 1. Some abilities are annoying to deal with. Contests have no point. Art style shifted to be too clean.
Gen 4: Worst region. Map sucks. Mechanically it was an improvement, but that's really all the good I can say about it.
Gen 5: Skipped. Dropped Pokemon during this period of time.
Gen 6: Mega evolutions are overly gimmicky. Exp share makes you be consistently over-leveled in single-player. Art style shifted to be even uglier because 3D models.
Gen 7: Z moves are even gimmickier. NPCs won't shut the fuck up.

My biggest problem with the past 3 gens has been how hand-holdy they are. They never give the player any amount of freedom any more, you have to go exactly where they tell you when they tell you, and there's always some NPC to stop you and make sure you know where game freak wants you to go.
The games are no longer adventures, they're theme park rides.

Also, a few smaller complaints:

Gen 1 was a cool new thing. Everyone had their own favorite pokemon, and it was before the "community" had over-analyzed everything so the feeling of adventure was still there

Gen 2 fixed some of Gen 1's glaring issues, and introduced some cool features besides that. Therefore it had a reason to exist and was good, although you really didn't need to play it if you played and beat Gen 1 unless you were a HUGE fan of it and just wanted more of the same. I think they should have dropped the 4-move limit since they weren't working under quite such strenuous memory constraints, but whatever (argue all you want that the limit "makes things more complicated", sure it makes the TRAINING part more complicated, but that part is boring anyway, and it makes the actual COMBAT part much, much, much more boring)

After that, everything they changed or introduced was either so miniscule and unimportant that only autists would care and everyone else would just be annoyed by it, or was a negative change. The formula of the games hasn't changed in the slightest and the fun adventurous feel of the games is gone, and that adventurous feel was the only thing keeping things afloat. Because quite frankly the combat is trash, has been since Gen 1, improved a little on Gen 2, all downhill from there. It's slow, it's over-simplistic, it's rock-paper-scisors-y, it's repetitive, and it's grindy.

Also

And the moment that happens you'll get people going "hurr its 2 casual now"

Then why don't YOU tell me the great games this console has? Those are the ones that keep being mentioned to me every time I ask for games

Also yes, Pokemon are bad games.

My only complaint is that the games are too easy now.

>>>/out/

Wait, I just thought of an issue I have with Gen 2. Having to switch boxes on the PC manually and save every time you do it is really irritating.

Kid Icarus Uprising
Senran Kagura
All the 3DS Kunio-kun series games and River City Tokyo Rumble
Super Robot Wars BX
Both of the Kirby games
Ace Combat Cross Rumble
Both Bravely Default games
And of course Monster Hunter
And no, Pokemon games are not bad

Aside from the MUH DESIGNS shit…

Gen1: Glitches and bugs out the Wazoo as well as moves flat out not working as intended.
Gen2: Like Gen1 it has glitches and buggs, but it was a step forward.
Gen3: The transfer cutoff ans subsequent "reset" of catching them all is major step back, as is the "water" portion of the map, due frankly, shitloads of watter isn't very visually memorable.
Gen4: Too much focus on Legendaries and ATROCIOUS save times and speed in combat, even when as fast as possible, probably the worst Region map for DPPt.
Gen5: Same as with Gen 3 the Faux reboot TRIGGERED some people, but the real issue is in the PLOT induced linearity, something made even worse in…
Gen6:Takes the PLOT issue with Gen V and makes them worse while attempting to pander by doing the extreme opposite of Gen5 by having a shitload of old Pokémon and barely any new ones, the ExpShare and Mega Evolution utterly and completely removed the single player experience, even with ExpShare turned off, not to mention the much worse post-game. That "episode" anime shit is fucking awful, and even withing the fucking Generation itself the power creep was fucking awful.

Honestly i think the sweetspot is HGSS. Good amount of Post Game, and a bit of nonlinearity, though "suggested" path, followed with BW2.

Sky was better by far, Super suffers from "HALF THE GAME IS THE TUTORIAL" both in story and gameplay syndrome.

And they need to let you evolve during the main plot in the MD games already.

I can go play this right now on Pc. why should I play it on 3DS.

Sequels to games that were nearly identical.

they're literally identical to every other kirby game with an added gimmick.
They're not bad. But they're not good.

I can play a better version of this on my PS2. Derivative as fuck and has shitty mauled controls to fit the 3DS.

As I said, same games over and over again.

Just a mediocre JRPG games with nothing special. Even the class system is ripped off from other FF games.

Pokemon XYORAS and Sun and Moon are the worst the series has ever been. Only furries and Nintoddlers actually believe they aren't.

You really are delusional aren't you?
Oh, and Bravely Default was fucking boring too. the dungeons were really short, the overworld felt tiny, and the cutscenes all dragged on for twice as long as they needed to be. If you don't cound time spent grinding, the dialogue lasted as long as the gameplay.

Colosseum gets close.

Gen 5 gave rise to smogon? Well, shit. I liked that gen. Now I don't know what to feel.

I'm sorry to say user, but that response isn't an argument. The guy makes some pretty good points.

I wouldn't say "bad", but mediocre.
XYORAS was mediocre. Somewhat enjoyable, but I don't think they were ever bad. Just so/so.

So what? Fuck 'em, variety would be cool.
Make it like MEGA evolutions and Z moves where it isn't permanent. A smeargle sort of thing.
By the way, is smeargle a dog or a sheep?

I only disagree with Mario Kart 7. It's fun! I personally agree, I'm very finicky with my games. I only like Cave Story, Dream Team, Denpa Men and Kirby: Planet Robobot.

Its a series of constant rehashes. Every game has the exact same battle system, premise and general concept. To the point where the only real tangible difference that isn't superficial (since I know tons of people are going to bring up gimmicks like Mega Evolutions or slight variations on the battle system) is the graphics and the dual screen controls with the DS

It's to the point where whenever I've brought this up on Holla Forums people have tried to make the claim that the actual core story, region and everything about the game except it's multiplayer is just for the little kids and agree it's garbage. And the "real" gameplay is the multiplayer. It's like the entire actual campaign is just an extended tutorial for the autistic multiplayer component. At that point I see very little difference between Pokemon and Call of Duty

it's disappointing to me because there could actually be a lot of variation to a Pokemon game's story and campaign if Nintendo was interested in actually innovating on their massive money making franchise. Like I've even stated you could make a Pokemon game that didn't focus on catching pokemon and instead had a Digimon world style premise where you have to raise one from birth and feed it while you go on an adventure. With an actual story that wasn't just there as filler you skip through. There's so many possibilities for such a franchise and it's remained untapped for 20 years because nobody wants to rock the boat.

Kek

I didn't say it was shit.
Like most of the library of the 3DS it's just okay.

Want to thank you guys for reassuring me that I was right in not getting Bravely Default. I also thought that the first 3DS Monster Hunter game was garbage compared to the PSP ones as well.

Site was pretty small back in early Gen 4. Platinum was probably the definitive moment when it picked up. Gen 5 made things worse mainly because of Pokecheck, which I knew one of the developers for.

Holy fucking pleb.
Also nothing else you said is valid. Cross Rumble is a very enhanced remake of Ace Combat 2, all the new Kunio-kun games are different from each other, each Monster Hunter is different. You're shit talking games you've never played also
Hi reddit

It's a shame, because it did have a lot of good stuff. The music's great and I like the characters, and the class system allows for a lot of variety in building a team even if it isn't original. It's just that the real meat of the game is lacking.

Wew

I judge each generation by how many pokemon in it I'd be willing to fuck
I want to fuck 15 of them, easily, in this generation alone.

gee
lemme spent 50 FUCKING EUROS for this game with no replayability.

haha
Next you're gonna tell me how good MGS3D is because you can crouch

No user, the textures for the bosses are different. The game is exactly the fucking same and it has been for the past decade.

Denial is a bad beast.

You know, It's really fucking weird how this generation (Sun/Moon) feels like these three games awkwardly crammed together.

It's not terrible, it's miles better than the last gen. It just feels "off" in my opinion. Most likely due to the heavy focus on the story and filler in the beginning, along with how it slogged during the introduction of the aether foundation. I saw Lumise as an antagonist a mile away. They remind of Team Cipher and such, some similar goals but with a very different outcome. It's most likely due to the same devs from Genius Sonority working on the 3D Pokémon games, since some of ones who worked on Black2/White2 and below were unqualified for programming. I don't know about the writers though.

So far it's an 7.9/10 for me.

They ran as hard as they could, tripped and scraped their leg.
Gamefreak needs to have someone else like Atlus, Namco or Genius Sonority take full on control and develop a mainline Pokémon game.

I think we're done here. You've basically admitted that you're full of shit and a liar.

God forbid someone have a differing opinion from you.

I bet you're going to go cry now because he hurt your feelings.

i dont like how the last 2 generations have less than 100 new monsters
for the franchise as a whole i want to see more like an srpg (movement on a map during the fight), maybe a reward besides damage for landing super-effective hits (like SMT3s press turn) and more move slots so that theres actually space for utility moves (maybe 8 slots?).
The "movement during combat" could also allow non flying-types without levitate that SHOULD be able to fly according to what they are based on (such as beedrill, the various moths and volbeat) or their floating animation (darkrai, the porygon family).

The monsters themselves, for me at least

can you list me examples satisfying rps mechanics
My bad fangame will be able somewhat fix that somewhat, as you can sacrifice monsters to raise another monsters base stats, amongst other things
the rest of your first paragraph seems accurate.

Other way around
what makes it worse than brawl, just the lack of ice climbers and snake?
I vastly prefer 3 Ultimate and even the Wii version over P3rd simply on grounds of having swimming in them. i havnt touched the later games because the y abandoned swimming.

i actually like them for adding effects to status moves. (Like Z-leer also raising your attack).

glasses free 3D titties. literally the reason the series was created.

Whatever man. you ignored 99% of the posts I made so far and still haven't said why Monster Hunter is so different or why the 3DS is such a great console for having those 6 games you mentioned.

Go clock another 600 hours in the latest MH iteration, I'm sure you're autistic enough to have fun with it.

I have a hard time believing this wasn't just pushed out the door before the WiiU title to make some cash and add a game to the bad lineup the 3DS had.
They were probably being developed in tandem.

That and: Retarded roster additions (in the base game and DLC), controls are even floatier than before. Maybe on par with Brawl for gameplay. Much worse for characters.

user, you actually made the claim Kid Icarus Uprising had no replayability when it has tens of hours of it. The main story is long, you have to go back through levels to unlock other things, beat scores, there is online play, trophies, etc. You've been full of shit this entire time.

The door is that way
>>>/4chan/

When have ANY of these been reasons to replay a game

My ideal pokemon game would be HG/SS done in Gen 5. Because Gen 4 was slow and Gen 6 felt even slower. Gen 5 had great visuals as well, while HG/SS had better features in comparison with the later gens, assuming you ignore the pokewalker gimmick.

i really like the 3D (not enough to consider the 3DS great, mind you)

i dont think the wiiu was even announced at that point

self-improvent and/or e-penis measuring
sometimes, the ai-enemies are too boring, i guess

user yes!!!!!

It isn't
Amazing, you're such a pleb it's no wonder you have so much shit taste. How about this: You tell me what gives a game replayability.

This needs a separate thread.

haha
Goddamn you're fucking stupid

off the top of my head: multiple mutually exclusive paths; multiple characters to play as (with different stats and moves)

remember when this was a thread about pokemon?

while gen5 is my favorite overall, i wouldnt want to miss out on gen 6 and 7 additions to the combat mechanics. and the whole "petting/cleaning/feeding your pokemon" from gen 6 and 7 is neat, too.

I don't have any huge problem with any Pokemon games as I play them, mainly because they're just children's games. There are lots of little things, though;
Apart from that;

Damn, just stop fucking replying and derailing. He already proved himself to be full of shit.

Yeah no shit, this fag said he had CFW here so why is he fucking complaining about "muh 50 euros"?

Unique, non-repetitive content

I bet you have a mental disability too user.

So Kid Icarus Uprising is very replayable? I'm glad you agree.

If you say so buddy.

what really has to go about that is both not being able to throw a ball when theres more than one target (you can hit a flying bat with a ball without fail, but suddenly not anymore when another could possible fly in front of it once in a blue moon?)and that you dont get to send out a second monster to even things out.
They could at the very least not have trainers monsters have fucking less than 4 moves when it should have 4 from leveling up.

Id rather save my money for biolgy books and computer parts, tbh.

A game is replayable when you can miss out on complete parts of it. When you have choices. When you can replay it with a completely different style. It's not about beating a fucking high score user.

You're just being a faggot because I insulted your favorite games. Kid Icarus uprising is mediocre, like every single other game on the 3DS.

So you agree Kid Icarus Uprising is a very replayable game?

Whats a good custom rom?

You've completely devolved into shitposting now haven't you

just stop replying, youre clogging up the thread

at least say something about pokemon

Balance is pretty wonky and easy as fuck when you're aware of it. Other than that it's just kind of bland compared to older titles, but that's not too much of an issue.
Pacing and is fucked and the abundance of under-leveled Pokemon make it pretty pathetic. Kanto is also barren as fuck, and half the new Pokemon in the game were sanctioned off there for some reason. I'm also not a fan of roaming Pokemon or availability changing with the time.
No connectivity to previous gens made it kind of a soft reboot, which I wasn't too much of a fan of. I also didn't like them cutting out time-based events almost entirely, and the abundance of water areas made late-game seem a tad monotonous to get through. Story also started to get a little too intrusive.
Slow as fuck before Platinum came out. Story became even more overbearing. Didn't like the relegation of secret bases to the underground and removing the ability to add other players' secret bases into your world permanently. Also didn't like the abundance of Legendary Pokemon, especially not those locked behind events.
Story became full cancer now - made the game seem even more linear and hand-holding. Another "reboot" that made earlier gen Pokemon rarer (or impossible to find before the post-game). Extralink and Dream World were just gimmicky and pointless. Overall not as many interesting features and removal of the bottom-screen menu/device just plain sucked.

I stopped playing after Black Version. I heard B2W2 were better but I can't be arsed, and from what I heard XY and ORAS were pretty meh.

Stop thinking the American tagline means anything.

Gameplay was definitely harder, somewhat better with the new mechanics and what carried over from Gates though they reduced your teams to 3 from 4, rely more on RNG with the Emera system and grinding is practically non-existent.

Story? It's pretty shit, somewhere between Rescue Team and Gates. It's told like a bad anime on top of the "first half is tutorial" shit. Your partner (who the story is focused on instead of you) is an unlikable sperg and gets butthurt when others don't like his antics. Plenty of characters are introduced and just when you think you get to do something cool with them, they're forgotten about (except Espurr who is the best lolimon ever). When the partner finally decides the plot needs to be something about other than school and being a sperg, you go off and repeat the starting plot to Explorers and join a guild. Then the actual plot begins and most of the main characters couldn't really bother to actually investigate the crisis they are facing until they get stoned and end up in Hell (they call it Hell in Japanese). They get out of hell and they repeat the entire last act of Gates with some cinematic shit thrown in. I don't think I need to talk about the twist at the end because you have to see it yourself to believe how retarded and out of nowhere it was (ok it was foreshadowed in a passing comment once). I think seeing Iwata's name in the credits was more emotional than that sloppily written mess.

Though Explorers of Sky's story wasn't as great as people made it out to be but it definitely had better moments and an episodic style post-game that never returned and that's why people hate Gates. I'd argue that Gates had a slightly better plot or at least better characters than even Sky but the low Pokemon count and lack of post game fucking killed it.

No, because Kid Icarus Uprising has all those things, dumbass.

Pokemon

Light Platinum
Advanced Adventures
Glazed Version
Liquid Crystal

There are some of my favorites

1v1 is shitty for it being a JRPG even if it is babies first JRPG. The gamrs would have to be pure 2v2 or 3v3. No dificulty option and no new game+ let alone postgame is a bore outside of breeding. Lastly that shit can get lost forever, I'm fine with needing friends for some pokemon but event pokemon are a dumb idea, this isn't an MMO (and this bothers me in MMO's too).

I have more fun with the spinoffs then thr main games but Sun and Moon look different enough but still won't get it because day one pokemon I will never be able to get.

What if people stop playing the game or online goes down? At least SMT gives me my fix for mon games but SMT4 fucked that over.

The most boringest, dumbest, slowest, game I have ever played.
Every generation.
It's the normalfag edition of Desert Bus.

maybe there needs to be a sort of NPC-GTS with semi-random requeats.

Good one kid

Are you ever not a faggot to everyone?
Holy fuck nigger go work for nintendo if they're so infallible

I hear a lot of people saying this shit about pretty much every RPG ever. I don't think Pokemon is the problem. I think maybe RPGs just aren't for you, maybe you're into ADHD-tier shooters or are a gameplay purist who hates turn-based combat and dialogue and there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think its the fault of the series itself.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_American_region_Nintendo_Network_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI

We get it, you're a faggot. No need to make that more clear.

To be fair, the Pokémon 20 event chain this year did give away basically all of them aside from the Gen VI ones IIRC.

For some reason here on Holla Forums there is a vocal few who have an autismal distaste for turn based RPGs.

Your bias is showing

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_American_region_serial_code_event_Pokémon_distributions_in_Generation_VI

I genuinely think it has to be autism. Autistic people tend to like fast in-your-face direct gameplay. The turn-based RPG is the antithesis of the autist

Please join us in the Falcom thread where we actually play good JRPGs.

why even bother

Uh, all the actual event Pokemon that matter have been distributed via Wifi. Most of the serial code events aren't mythical Pokemon that cannot be obtained by any other means. Plus half the serial code list are just copies of the Wi-fi events, so you didn't even read the links you posted.

But im playing pokemon right now

Who says I don't already post in them?

(you)

No thanks, I don't have autism. Cringey weeb shit isn't for me

WEW

Because I wanted to

after the tutorial phase is over, its good and play the original mystery dungeons

I'm pretty sure I've already talked to you about something else related to Nintendo or pokemon
You went in full damage control mode and made 50 posts in a thread in front page while saging

Let it go babby

Yes, the "mythical Pokemon" like Mew and Celebi that are unobtainable by normal, in-game, means.

I bet you think it's okay that Japan gets exclusive content and Nintendo caters directly to them.

How's that PTSD user?

Event Pokemon are arbitrary gates for content already included in the game and forces you to play based on the game creator's schedule. It's like disc-locked content but instead of paying for it you have to wait an arbitrary amount of time.

And of course if you get the game too late you'll just miss out on the events completely. Does it makes sense for a game to have content forever inaccessible past a certain date, especially for a primarily single-player game?

It's possible to dislike one game without disliking the entire genre you know.
Pokemon's just boring because it's mostly 1v1 battles without any positioning or stuff like that, and the dialogue isn't much good either. I think it would be a lot of fun if there was a Pokemon game with battles like Legend of Heroes, or maybe some kind of strategy RPG.

Sorry TPC.

I'm playing a game here. On my computer. Sorry for not being accurate.

I vehemently disagree. They made such a big deal out of evolving in Blue Rescue Team/Red Rescue Team, that such a break would need thorough explanation and accommodation if it were to happen during the story arc.
I also think that in the end game evolutions feel kind of weak compared to the expectations raised during the main plot, but they are still satisfying and fit in with the "JUST A VISUAL CHANGE" theme pushed.

I can still taste the bitter taste of rain mixed with glass cleaner from my glasses in my mouth. It was a long walk.

what

Shit like Lugia. If you played it, "Lugia" would be enough to explain the only thing user here could mean be glass cleaner.

I think.

Think windex except not windex.

The residue of the windex-like glass cleaning agent of my glasses' lenses was mixing with the heavy rain and seeping into my mouth. It tastes bitter.

Did you ever recruit the Kecleon?

*on

Of course.

I could never clear the 99 floor level 1 dungeons, so that's where I stopped in the story line.

I remember using gameshark and cheating through the entire fucking thing. Skipping all of the floors and getting to the good stuff.

Weak, user. Weak.

I wouldn't blame him for using a gameshark only to clear the forced level 1 dungeons in the endgame plot, though I never did it myself, but if he used the gameshark for anything else, it would indeed be weak. That game was masochistic out the ass.

Focus on personal goals rather than the story. Do you want to be a gym leader, beat the elite four, train/breed pokemon, explore the world, catch legendaries, catch 'em all through trades, join a gang etc. Give avenues and rewards for each of these with slightly intermixed paths.

Stop retreading the same ground. No more 3-stage bug with cocoon middle stage. No more fire/fighting starter. Stop making mandatory legendary encounters. What the fuck is the point in it being legendary if it is mandatory to complete the game? Just do red garydos/sleeping snorlax stuff instead. Explore typings that haven't been mixed before.

This.

Not much else I'd want to see from the franchise aside from a collection of hands on mini games like Pokeathalon to add more color and content to the game when you start getting a little bored of battling and a nice lively area like PWT for some fun little championships to compete in for both casual and more hardcore players. Also regular trainers using Megas to shake things up. Really, my only complaints are that there's not enough of a challenge for young and older players alike and there's not enough content for the same longtime fans looking to get their money's worth as a videogame they buy with their own hard earned money to enjoy in their free time.

I do feel there needs to be more to discover if just for the joy of it for kids and adults alike. It'd be great to find rare Pokemon or even Legendaries new and old by straying far enough and looking in certain hidden places.

Because kids see the cool looking animal god on the front of the case and GF knows they want it.

I'd say they've fallen into the trap of wanting their players to have fun at the cost of not really doing anything to work for it.

too much handholding also gamefreak sucks at making it better gameplay wise. pokemonshowdown is more fun to play than actual pokegames.

does it have rotation battles yet?

Sounds like executive meddling/marketing department being allowed to call the shots, tbh.

2>4>1>shit>everything else
Fight me.

I'm taking notes on this thread. Filtering out the arguments.
What's a good program to use, Photoshop or GIMP?

There's no need to bother.

krita

1: Mechanics worked too differently from how I'm used to. Still haven't played it as a result. Beyond that, the first pancake is always over- or underdone, right? Well, Kanto has some weird-ass route designs and a really late-game-heavy 'mon distribution.
2: Pretty hard to criticize, honestly, except that it's short and easy. Maybe the region was just a bit too small, too.
3: I honestly don't like natures and abilities. Natures make it hard to find the right pokémon, and abilities make too many gimmickmons possible. Also, gens 1/2/3 were before the physical/special split, which should have been in the game from day one.
4: This is when the story really started to go downhill, but at least it didn't get in the way of the game much. What did get in the way was the shitty overworld mechanics; making a route harder to walk through isn't the same as making it more interesting to battle through. R/S did the second one way better.
5: I didn't play this one, but it looks like its region is pretty boring.
6: Dear god, everything but the mechanics.

When I do unexpectedly well with a 'mon that I worked hard to get - or one that I didn't expect to do well. Also, when strategy pays off.
I also like monotype and other gimmick runs.

Damage is randomized. Damage is fucking randomized. Literally nobody benefits from this. It might have been acceptable in 1995, but they should know better by now.

It's the difference between going on an adventure and going on a scenic tour. And the tour isn't even good compared to other tours.

I don't want to be told where to go. I don't want to have to sit through a fuckton of cutscenes. I don't want to be told what to feel. I don't want to save the world. Jesus fuck, I am sick and tired of saving the world. And if you remind me that I'm saving the world, that's even worse.

I don't like gimmickmons with pointless, oneshot abilities. They don't need such things to be interesting to use. One of the most interesting things I've used was a Nosepass with Sturdy, back when Sturdy was completely useless.

Paint.NET, if you just need to drag some screenshots together.

OK, my beef up to the Gens that I played:

Gen 1: Psychic ruling the roost (and nary a counter in sight.) Some moves are OP (Wrap and Bind), the continuous moves are a bane when you fucked up (Rage locks your Pokemon to doing only Rage etc), very limited post-game stuff (I recall only Cerulean Cave..I'm sure Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno can be reached without beating the League)

Gen 2: While I like the Pokegear and the ability to have a rematch, you're stuck with a limited space for it, the Ice Cave still pisses me off..and Whitney's Milktank…and the cheater in me is a bit miffed that MissingNo is gone.

Gen 3 (RSE): The Berry system needs work…why can't they do it like they did in Gen 2 where you can pickup daily. There's a little bit more on gimmicky or useless Pokemon this time round (Minun, Plusle, Luvdisc to name a few), the Mach Bike dungeons can be a pain. Your rival doesn't do much (you don't feel like May's a rival, more like a buddy. Wally is good though) Secret Base is a letdown (I thought it could be like your own pad where you can rest in and the fact that you need a move occupying a spot to use it) the bloody Pokemon Contest (and that one evolution is tied to the contest)

Secret Power isn't that bad, though, compared to most of your other options in gen III. 70 power with a chance to paralyze, IIRC.

It's fun.

That comic screams nu-male.

What drew me to pokemon as a child was that they were "realistic" compared to digimon and other creature shows/games. Early pokemon seemed like they could be actual animals, everybody thought magnetmite and voltorb were stupid, that you could bend to your will and befriend, newer pokemon seem out of place or moe to me.
The teams after Rocket all seem silly and don't give the same satisfaction when spoiling their plans.
The rivals don't inspire hate or competition anymore and only keep getting easier and easier, often the game gives you a chance to heal before your rival pops out.

Just copy and paste shit into Notepad or something.

Bland, glitchy as hell (which can be both a good and a bad thing), easy as fuck when you know how it works, but more or less free to go. Sure, you have the chain of events with Team Rocket and the fact some gyms are forced to do before going further, but but it's still more free than later gens.
Fucked pacing, blander Kanto than RGBY, underlevelling that made some pokes hard to use or less interesting until the endgame, plus that huge drop between the end of Kanto and Red. Plus, it introduced roaming pokes.
TOO. MUCH. TRUMPETS. The massive water area near the end didn't bother me that much. The failed reboot neither. Some pokes being seriously lacking outside of their gimmick (Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Solrock, Lunatone) did annoy me a bit, but some other pokes (the starters' final evos, Shuppet and Banette) compensated. But this annoyed me like nothing else.
Blander games than RGBJ, dropping half the mechanics from RSE on the way. Enough said.
Slow as hell, but I enjoyed most of the new pokes, and the physical/special split made a lot of old ones useable.
GSC done better. Kanto isn't bland anymore, the levels have been made a bit higher a reduced the gap between the end of Kanto and Red, and the added content from Crystal removed a roaming poke.
While the game became more story oriented, I actually enjoyed its treatment of Ghetsis and N. New pokes were bland and the game forced you to use them, though, and most of the gimmicks were only gimmicks.
Story took a turn for the worse, with a Ghetsis becoming generic as hell despite his open attempt to kill the MC before a Pokemon battle. On the other hand, the game became more interesting with the readdition of older gen pokes.
Huge deception. While the game looked beautiful with the addition of 3D, all we had was something even more easy and railroaded than B2W2, which says a lot. Plus, most of the new pokes were shit, even though I enjoyed Greninja and Klefki.
It says a lot that the only thing I found interesting in the game is the ability to fly at will with [email protected]/* */

I'm actually genuinely interested in Sun and Moon. Let's hope I'm not wrong.

I laughed, congrats.

They've felt "off" to me ever since B/W. They shifted from being gameplay focused to being story focused, and started shoving in more and more hand-holding and railroading to facilitate their narratives. The few quality of life improvements, like using flash memory instead of EEPROM so saving the game doesn't take 12 god damn seconds, didn't really outweigh the bad for me. It's just gotten worse and worse every game since then. Doesn't help that they ran out of ideas after one generation and started filling the game with digimon-tier gimmicks like mega evolution and z-moves, all while totally neglecting to even attempt to make a decent online battling system which is the one thing that might have redeemed the games.

s-sorry

Its boring

Deep Crimson has the best gameplay in the series and it's 3DS exclusive. The only games you can play on PC are Shinovi Versus (which has the best story, but the worst gameplay of the main games) and the fucking terrible rhythm spinoff.

broken skills (slash and razor leaf have 99.9 crit chance) - fixed in remake
too weak gym leaders (4-6 have like the same stats and one put teleport on all their pokemon so guess what that leads to)
All the cool pokemon I want to use are either in the locked behind versions
-remake only - stupid final dungeon requirement which requires catching like 90-120 mons and doing 5 shit dungeons

too easy main game
too easy post game - fixed in remake
start of more shitty HM's for the sake of more shitty HM's (use this once in the entire game for this area and then again near the end of the main game because fuck you)
Phone calls for a method of rematching is pretty gay as it feels so random and manipulable and you can't simply call them for the rematch.
Items tied to giving your milf of a mother money which when you reach certain thresholds she spends a portion of it on said items.

lost the moving sprites from gen 2's final version which is a downer - back in emerald
lost ability to trade from previous gens up so you had to buy the above mentioned remake of gen 1 for a chance at some
every root has fucking zigzagoon or it's evo on it, this makes for looking for new mons on routes a pain in the ass because you'll find 19 of them before that sweet Skarmory and every water route with wingull and tentacool

50 year old estimated animation time combined with waiting for the health bars to drop
Defog
shitty team galactic with the shitest teams, one nigga has a level 47 wumrple, stunky's and glamows like what the fuck
it's so boring

No VS seeker (Seriously gen 1 remakes and D&P/P had the best work around to leveling weaker mons and they got rid of it)
bad habit of leaving TM's right near the gym (route right before or after the gym) that's a pretty good move to use on them
pretty boring team OH NO, THEY NEVER HAD GOOD GOOD INTENTIONS ALL ALONG (excluding N)
That one fucking rock pokemon on every route where you can find a pepple that has sturdy, fuck that mon, he's gen 5 zigzagoon

Busted EXP share over leveling you (like there can't be the option for the item and a old version alternative, now it's choose to be over leveled or lose the ability to make a balanced team without grinding your new mons
Mega evos are busted in main game and you can only get shitty fur bait or starter megas in main game which is P.lame
4 pokemon in elite 4 teams
lack of rematch features

UB's are post game
funnest part of the game is post game
If you were to count island challenges as gyms you have half as many
stupidly lower new mon count
Aloha forms are P.lame for the most part
Not enough of my boy Guzma
Shitty final boss (Like tell me you were expecting a regular pokemon battle after seeing the introduction)

I have no desire to play the games whatsoever after playing the tabletop game. Damn near any problem you have with the setting can be avoided, almost every pokemon is usable, and you aren't constrained by Nintendo's programming and hack writing, but by your own imagination.
Pokemon vidya is dead to me.

You're right on a lot of points, but you're fucking wrong about Phoenix Wright, holy fuck. You obviously haven't played it.
You also forgot about Kid Icarus: Wrist Injury Simulator.

You better be right left handed, because if not learn to fucking hold a 3ds

Holy shit it never even registered to me that Sun/Moon were a new gen. They're so incredibly similar to X/Y and OR/AS I mentally just lumped them together. Can you even call it a new gen when it's literally the same engine with a few new models?

Checked.
It's not a bad game – probably one of my favorites from the past few years – but I blew through it in two 10-hour sessions and my wrist felt like I'd been forced to give a troll a handjob for the same length of time. I'm not the only one that had this problem either, so I know I'm not retarded.
You probably just have small hands. I'm not a manlet, and holding the 3DS normally is already a bit of a compromise. Playing KI wasn't easy.

Are you retarded?

He clearly posted the wrong image.

Close, but not quite.

No you just don't know how to hold a fucking 230 gram piece of fucking plastic and can't continue to hold it without hurting your wee widdle hands.

Kill yourself my man

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just retarded
Gen 2 is probably the gen that had the most changes from its previous one

Jesus Christ you're one salty faggot. A faggot with abnormally small hands.
t. Big Guy

Spoilers, having largers hands makes it fucking easier because your fingers supporting the devices have a larger area to support it by.

Stop making excuses while trying to big guy yourself up.
people with manlet strength shouldn't be allowed to post

Same engine.
Few new "models".

You're projecting pretty hard there. Fun fact: tall men don't give a shit about other men's height or about "manlets" at all. The only ones who run around bitching about "manlets" are women and other manlets.

It wasn't an engine though.
Both R/B and G/S were not running in engines, they were written from the ground up in Assembly.

G/S were a completely rewriting of the base code.

I feel like Gen 7 did enough to shake things up a little bit. Doing away with HMs and gyms/badges is a plus, especially not having HMs anymore. Z-moves are a bit gimmicky, but less so than Mega Evolution since any pokemon can use Z-moves and they aren't always the insta-win buttons they appear to be. The totem fights are probably my favorite part, from their buildup to the actual fights. Besides 1-2 of the fights they feel more like boss battles than the gym leader fights. The totem mons you fight are ones you haven't seen yet in the game, so it can feel like that RPG tradition of "boss becomes part of your party" later. I'd love to see more of these totem fights added later.

One part I feel they could've thrown a huge curve ball was when you're fighting Lusamine in the ultra dimension or whatever, and after you KO her last pokemon, it's like "Lusamine is about to send out… Lusamine?" and she fights you herself. It would've worked what with her possessed by an ultra beast.

That's not how it works!
My fingers sit on the L and R buttons almost past the second knuckle, which is uncomfortable as fuck unless I rear them back and play like I'm imitating a fucking pirate claw. Even then, the far edge of the trigger, the sharp one, digs into my finger under the first knuckle and gives me a callus if I use the damned thing for too long.

>7 games and trainers still can't fight in any way

I wasn't making comments about your height, I was commenting about how weak and implacable you are failing to properly hold a 3ds.
I never said you were one I said you had the strength of one.

Spread your hands further back, so the end of the index rests on the L & R, then the next 3 fingers should spread spread out to support the device and then press the buttons with your thumb, with this both hands.

For KH:U without the stand you make a minor adjustment, you just bring your left hand in closer so the 3rd joint on the index is on the L button and the full palm and extended fingers should be holding the 3ds besides the thumb which is controlling movement, this way you have a comfortable hold of the 3ds which the right hand is free to input on the touch screen.

That's wrong you fucking idiot

Green/Red/Blue/Yellow were written in C
How do we know?

Because it inhereted all the pointer and memory management issues associated with programming your shit in C
Gold/Silver/Crystal were made in the same engine (since it was more or less a modification of the original games) but with tighter memory management and possibly inline assembly subroutines implemented by Iwata for shit like the map compression system

I'm pretty sure Gen 4 -> 5 is the most appropriate comparison.

Well, that would be because gen 5 is an improvement over 4 in every single way.

But that's wrong you retard.
People even disassembled the first two pokemon games by using documents about the hardware and the games.

I'm not even sure you could use C to develop for the GB.

I don't have any gen-specific problems. Just with features.

what is that from? did all the googling I could and couldn't find it

i'm working on it; dont expect to outperform your monsters, though. Unlike Monsters and enemies you can use action commands instead of random chance

Fire and Ice (1983)
it's gay

It's not gay

oh, shit. the whole thing's on youtube. neat

You left out the bit where the UBs may or may not have destroyed everything from Gen V and prior, i.e. the universe(s?) where Megas never happened, with Anabel and Looker being the sole survivors.

In case you didn't notice, SuMo's the first gen where overworld models retain their original proportions instead of going chibi.

I don't care about it since they didn't come out my 3DS and break my older games

My big problem is I feel like there's not a lot to do postgame, for someone like me who's too lazy to go through all the breeding and such to do comp battles. Like if I wanted to do comp battling I would use one of those mockup sites where I can pick my Pokemon. So, with that in mind, I mostly care about the actual journey. My big issues with each gen:

Really buggy. No physical/special split. Not well balanced. A great game, with this huge feeling of mystery the first time you play it. It feels like an adventure. But it could definitely have used more polish.
I genuinely think this is the best one. Didn't like the lack of a safari zone in the originals, though. Loved going through Kanto again. Too many HMs, though.
Too much water for my taste, but still fun. Too many HMs. Loved the Gen 1 remakes.
This is where it kind of starts to feel too easy for me. Most of the inconveniences have been ironed out by that point, but it's just eh. I also don't like that they had so many event legendaries starting here. Kind of stops you wanting to go back and replay because you can't get that legendary again.
I don't even remember these. I played one of them, though.
Way too easy. No exploring. A lot of the designs are garbage.

How's your carts' batteries holdin up?

Intensity gates, some side paths. Nothing too major but it's there.
Weapon types play pretty differently on the ground. In the air they feel the same to me except the club.

I don't think GS actually worked on the most recent games, do you have a single fact to back that up? And do you really want Genius Sonority to make a Pokemon game after Denpa Men 3 and Free?

i don't like it, give me back my higher camera angle. i've been spending more time looking at the map on the bottom screen than top on the overworld for this game.

It stopped being relevant after Pokemon Yellow. Everything after that is just for absolute autistic geeks.

Honestly my only problem with this current generation is that there's not enough exploration. I feel like they made it difficult enough for a casual playthrough, but I still hope for a hard mode. Also wish they could've kept Super Training. The current EV training method that they're trying to push in Sun/Moon is starting to look like a shitty mobile game by having 24 hour waits to max EV's and I don't even have enough time to EV train regularly sometimes.

You don't have to believe me, I care enough to reply, but not enough to do research, iirc, they got some 3D modelers for mons and stuff, nothing major. I'm just lazy, and I don't mind personally. I feel like they'd treat it better than gamefreak is, if not GS, then a new company like Atlus or Namco.

I don't care much about my saves, I beat the game and replace the battery killing that save and started again, and when I beat it again I'll start it again.

I don't have the tightest care for I have in those games.

Great games for their time, started it all, aged pretty poorly.
Probably one of the best sequels in video game history. The fact that you played through an entire new region, and then after you thought it was done GOT TO GO BACK TO THE OLD REGION TOO was amazing.
Kind of awkward, but not bad. It had the misfortune of trying to come after Gen 2 and couldn't really live up to expectations.
Rocky start, but extremely strong finish. Platinum and HG/SS were the apex of the 2D Pokemon games.
Complete dogshit.
Pretty good and getting better. X/Y brought back a feeling of adventure, OR/AS was competent but the Gen 3 games were never that great to begin with, and Sun/Moon sees the 3D engine finally maturing and being used like it should be.
Sun/Moon are Gen 6 and nobody can convince me otherwise.

I'd like to see them go for a design that is closer to the original artwork.

A new, updated version of Gen II with this style would be my dream PKMN game.

Contests don't need to have a point, they're for fun/an alternate objective. 'Annoying abilities' add variety and I'd like to know what pokemon from gen 3 were remakes of gen 1 mon
Sinnoh was A-OK.
Oh, you're one of THOSE
Mega Evolution is neat, they just chose mostly shit mon to give them out to.
Z-Moves are objectively better in design than Megas, plot plot plot is a huge problem though.

Try PTU…

Switch your opinion on gen 5 with 6 and you got a deal.

Only ever bothered with the first generation before I wised up to what a scam the games are. Seems that every generation afterwards took the worst aspects and jacked them up further.

My issue is that they're shitty grindfests with shallow gameplay whose core collection focus is desigend to swindle consumers out of time and money.

It's a children's game intended to sell toys.

This is unfortunately true, the older I get, the more I see that it wasn't that good in the first place. HG/SS being the peak of the Pokémon franchise IMO.

Which is why I made this thread honestly, keep the suggestions coming.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that sentiment. I think pokemon snap and stadium helped my mind accept them over time though.

Relinquish your yuri image immediately, faggot,

GAME FREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK

outdated, but good for its time
not really any issues outside the predictable pattern. lots of content. fun for its time.
none really. an upgrade and aged like wine. issues with lesser designs starting to show and still a predictable pattern. At this point any patrican should realize they had their fun with pokemon and move on to superior Turn based rpgs as they grow up
complete and utter shit. Those who remained got cucked. worst gen
gamefreak trying to get the patricians back step up their story and try to break the mold of predictable storyline. better than 4. more interesting than 3 and 2. was a success. The pokemon designs, however, were shit.
good sequel. rehashes the world properly. the problem is that its a rehash, but its done really well. still counts as gen 5.
back to trash and predictable pattern, except this time its 3-d. epic! shit pokemon designs. shit easy gameplay. handholding everywhere. garbage. Again, those who remian at this points are new audience of new children or manchildren who never went to superior turn based rpgs.

haven't played, except it looks like gen 6 except less shit and another attempt to break the mold.

Such as?

SMT series
Digimon World if you want monster-shit
Dragon Quest series
old SNEs rpgs

I could go on. There's so many better titles than pokemon for rpgs. pokemon is the lowest common denominator for turn based rpgs. It's shit.

Cool bait

In all seriousness no other game has the sheer amount of variety Pokemon has in terms of… well, fucking everything. The system itself is modular and packed with content for an infinite variety of strategies, even if the story modes built around that system are often lackluster. Each pokemon being an individual with its own traits helps people become attached to the characters more, and allows everyone to have favorites.

Pokemon is irreplaceable.

This, essentially.
Pokemon was good when it wasn't trying to be Digimon.

Not with the team I'm using right now.
As a side note, when do fire types stop being utter shit in X?
I've had a Litleo doing practically nothing but take up a party slot since the first gym, and it just doesn't feel right to use a slot for a pokemon that sees less time in the field than my fucking dunsparce.

Just wait for Pokemon Eclipse/ Sun and Moon 2 :^)

don't do that, just use talonflame like everyone else in the known universe.

Festival Plaza, level up your plaza by getting points and doing missions.

You get a ball shop that sells johto balls eventually.

Fuck you, I want to use a fucking lion when it evolves.

Oh. Thanks user.

Mechanically broken in the original games, rectified in the remakes.
Psychic type was good against fucking everything.
Wonky sprites and abundant glitches.
Too much nostalgia-bait comes from this generation.

Bad pacing in both Johto and Kanto sections of the map that ends with a massive difficulty spike if you want to fight Red fairly.
Joey constantly calling you about his top-tier Ratatta
HM bloat begins here.

Removal of day and night cycles.
Addition of more HM reliant areas.
Incompatibility with older generations means many Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon are excessively difficult or impossible to acquire. Gen 2 Pokemon in particular.
Dive is the third Water type HM and forces you to carry two HM slaves

SLOW
Everything is slow about Gen 4. Battles, trading, evolutions, movement, text speed, EVERYTHING.
Excessive legendaries and event-exclusive Pokemon make this generation a nightmare for completionists.
Removal of Gen 3 style Contests removes content.
Defog and Rock Climb
Excessively terrible Pokemon designs start here.

Linear, uninspired map.
Focusing on story instead of gameplay make turn-based RPGs very sluggish.
Mostly forgettable, despite having some of the all-time worst Pokemon designs in series history.
Introduced Landorus-T and Keldeo, ruining a large part of the metagame.
No postgame in Black and White

Another linear generation, too focused on story.
Your cadre of friends were the most annoying group of slobs to ever disgrace the title of rival.
Introduced Mega-Evolution and focused the story around that.
Nostalgia bait is strong in this generation, the Kanto starters are available during the main game.
Pokemon Bank technical issues caused something of a soft reset and made bank-mons worth practically anything on the GTS.
No postgame in XY

Yet more nostalgia bait, Alolan forms are all Gen 1 Pokemon.
Z-Moves are extra anime and add more animations during battles should you or the opponent use one. They also amount to a single use nuke for the price of an item slot.
Not much post-game content outside of catching Ultra Beasts or trying to rematch Red or Blue at the battle tree.
Still not certain how to rematch certain trainers.

Basically that the experience is founded on an increasingly impossible task of collecting or at least seeing as many Pokemon as you can, which as games pass, introduces new exclusives and event Pokemon, and makes trading them over between generations as difficult as possible. There is literally almost no way to catch them all without cheating or wasting years of time and assloads in travel expenses. That's why I capped the quota at 251.

Everything else about the series; from the standard RPG mechanics, to the elemental system, the customization of move sets, that's all fine by me. I enjoy it from a strategic gameplay standpoint.

Did you not see the entire other 1/2 of the continent that opens up after you beat the E4, or the fact that you have the powered up E4 to go through?

To be fair, I probably didn't. The last time I played a Gen 5 game was in 2013.

Times changed. Kids can't have bullies anymore. They made Gary/Blue a prick so when you beat him it felt good. You fought the bully and won.Nobody can be mean or seem like a challenge in the new games, Everyone is your friend and want to battle for fun. I've been told "it's a kids game, yeah its easy," but as a kid I played Gens 1-3 and at times it felt hard or like i needed to level up.
Nothing feels earned anymore. They heal you before a fight and everyone has 1-3 pokemon. By the time you hit Cerulean City in Red/Blue Gary/Blue had 4 already. It could be that I got used to doing Nuzloke, but they feel really easy now.
What I really miss is the old art style the most.

It sounds like a broken record at this point but they really have to do overhaul the entire fucking formula even if it means soft-rebooting everything. One way to do this and it would surely be a gigantic leap and open to progression fuckery if handled bad is to give pokemon natural abilities that are used to interact with the environment. Similar to how older games gave characters natural abilities that are bound to them, like key items, pokemon with discernibly useful physical traits like long claws and strong enough muscles should be able to cut down those stupid pesky trees blocking roads. Guess what? Fly wouldn't be viable from the get go because you would need a big enough bird to be able to fly on. So someone would immediately think of catching a pidgey and the many other small birds thinking they could fly to a big city, but it won't work because pidgey couldn't seat your 10-year-old trainer. Same thing with magikarps and surf. Besides, flying or surfing to a big city from the start would be pointless because you have untrained pokemon, you have barely any money, and you will still likely become attacked by wild flying pokemon. Flying battles, anyone? So then what does happen when you do find a big enough bird or evolve your small one. Same problem. There's always going to be big birds in the sky and you will also miss out on valuable training experience in the wild if you do skip. In general HMs were always meant to be used as a key item gameplay mechanic wise and their replacement is necessary with something that would make pokemon seem more explorable while adding elements of survival to the series.

Another idea they should do away with is the 4 move limit. Replace it with a favorite move system for quick battling. Let moves become grindable so that attacks are based on parameters and open it up to strategy. Give moves intrinsically valuable abilities. For instance, grinding ember increases its base attack and other properties. By the time you get flamethrower you would think you would abandon ember, right? Instead make ember is a faster attack while flamethrower has a minor delay caused by the stream of fire having to reach the opponent opening it up to missing against a fast target. So a way around that is to use another move or pokemon to trap or immobilize your target and then use flamethrower.

Go beyond that. Not all _-type pokemon should have the same options when it comes to their moveset. They already don't but what I mean is do not let all pokemon have the same methods of attacking. For instance, make some fire pokemon fire breathers and others use fire to augment their physical attacks with rare exceptions in between. This means that Charizard can finally melt boulders with flamethrower like he is supposed to while Infernape uses his fighting moves to bash and burn opponents. In a fight between the two, Charizard would have to hope his trainer trained up his flying attacks but hope to Arceus he can dodge in time before he gets smacked around. Yes, this also means that you can survive against pokemon you would normally be weak to if you trained well in that regard and have countermeasures in place. And now that you're an experienced trainer you realize that a pokemon's earlier evolutions allows a pokemon to do some moves that it loses once it evolves as well as its natural abilities. For instance, you will learn that Chimchar could use ember but Infernape couldn't. This further opens up strategies revolving around 1st and 2nd evolutions and may finally explain why Ash was probably right to never evolve his pikachu, ever.

Go even further beyond. Remove power points. Insert stamina. Stamina levels with both training and level ups so leaving a pokemon in the computer would eventually drop its stamina to base level stamina while your active team is in peak condition. Some moves require more stamina than others but meal items (food, duh) and rest or even drugs berries help with that. Consolidate types and remove pointless ones that are redundant or special snowflake ones like fairy, dragon, etc. Again, emphasize physical traits which determine physical abilities (HMs and the like). So dragon-type pokemon becomes an indicator of its physical abilities that interact with the environment and meanwhile ghost pokemon do ghost things. The end result would be something like (physical) type/element, or something better with a bit more tweaking.

Regardless, none of this is ever going to happen though. Giving games depth is dead. The formula will live on. At this point I personally hope imitation games get bigger even at the risk of lawsuits so that someone makes a better pokemon game than pokemon.

Holla Forums ate my drunken pikachu image. Now that I think about it, hell, at this point I don't see why indie devs don't do this themselves. There's plenty of -mon games still popular in japan so I don't see why indie devs that "know" pokemon haven't tried to make a virtual copy but definite improvement. That would take work I guess. That might explain why Gamefreak doesn't work and just regurgitates the formula ever 3-5 years.

This
I'm on the third island in Moon and every single trainer up until this point (level 30+) has had only one pokemon apart for maybe 2 or 3.

It's a fucking joke. Kids aren't this retarded.

Because you were young and inexperienced. Literally every single Pokemon game can be cleared straight through with the starter with minimal grinding. The games are only hard if you make it hard on yourself. That said I skipped last two gens, Moon has been a riot for me though as a wrestling fan plus all the quality of life changes I've wanted in the game since Gen 1. Only thing left is having pokemon follow behind the character pikachu style.

That's a fucking lie.

What even is the point of Liquid Voice? Is it just a worse Pixellate or is there something else to it?

Would it be alright with you if there was a game with the PS1 era "Persona" artstyle?

Gonna save this thread at around 325 posts. On terms of Balance, what do you think about these changes?

Water no longer effective against ice.
Fire now normal against water
Fire super effective against fairy.
Fight regular against steel.
Fairy no longer affects psychic.
Psychic/Normal super effective against each other.
Grass now normal against dragon.
Special held item allows Pokémon to have 2 extra move slots, upgrading the moves to 6 ONLY with the item.

Various revamp on 400+ Pokémon stats.

What would you tweak on the formula, to balance everything as much as possible? Let's make the last push of this thread a good one.

All of these are shit.

See you don't fucking get it. You're just like gamefreak.

It's not a problem of balance, it's a problem with how the game is made in itself. Instead of improving on having 600 pokemon and maybe adding evolutions to those to make them more usable, they would rather add more shit.

Instead of making pokemon visually communicate their type, they would rather go back and retroactively add new types to pokemon that have existed for 20 years.

Instead of giving the player a false sense of control over what happens, they would rather stop the player every 10 minutes to tell them what's happening.

You could change the stats of all the pokemon and rework all the type effectiveness (which by the way is a terrible idea) and Pokemon BW/XY/ORAS/SunMoon would still be bad games.It's not about balance, it's about going back to the roots of the series, looking at why people loved it and improving on that.

And the first step to do that are:
1- Stop removing small improvements that people liked. This makes no sense. You don't make a step forward just to remove it in the next gen.
2- Build on the fact that you have a huge franchise to improve on, rather than adding something new that clashes completely with everything else.

That's good that you think that, different points of view help expand and cement what the best system should be. Contribute something of your own and add to it.

I never said that was a holy grail or anything. I see that it's no silver bullet, guy.

One of many, many things that would help the game feel tight and fluid are obviously everyone agreeing on something that clicks, which is what you said, instead of adding new things, they should work on improving the old ones. The things are listed are mainly examples.
Megas, Z-Moves. These things are pretty worthless and break the game in it's entirety, set aside from a few "competitive" ready Pokémon, but the normal fags don't care about that.

*I listed

But changing numbers isn't improving the formula. It's balancing. It doesn't make the game any better, because let's face it, Pokemon is not a competitive game.
You're basically balancing a single player game that is already incredibly easy.

Why the fuck would you do that? It's a huge waste of time.
Of course Megas and Zmoves are shit, it doesn't take a genius to get that. But a step in the right direction would be stopping trying to make these games competitive when they're so clearly not.

Meh, water is good but not too OP. Not needed. If it has to be done it should be NVE rather than an immunity.

Both are stupid and fire is already a really good attacking type. Completely unneeded. Is your favorite pokemon Charizard by any chance?

Fighting is really strong as an offensive type, but nerfing it against one of the best defensive types in the game is just stupid. If anything they should make it neutral against ice, which is one of the shittiest defensive types in the game.

I'll take it. Fairy is OP, psychic is too weak.

Meh. Seems unnecessary but not horribly stupid.

Grass could use a slight boost I suppose, though it would ruin the idea of dragons resisting all three starter types.

To question you as well, what you listed sounded very shallow and I can't see it through your view point just yet.

By "removing small improvements that people liked." What did you mean by this? Did you mean things on the Battle Frontier, Key Items like the Berry Crusher, Pokeathlon, or something else in it's entirety?

I remember the developers saying they didn't include things from older generations to make the new ones feel "fresh" and "different", which does sound like a crock of shit if that's you mean. Then I will agree why what you've said. Just remember to always add substance to what you are critizing, or the person on the receiving end will have a very different idea as to what you are complaining about.

This post made my sides leave orbit because this guy has no fucking idea how the stats in Pokemon work.

Small examples would be the Day and Night cycle going to Ruby and Sapphire.
The Daily Events.
The actual evolutions to old pokemon from gen 4.
The Customization from X and Y to ORAS (I know it's back now).
A region that can be pretty much tackled in any order you want from BR to GS.
Shit even small stuff like the pokemon following you from HGSS, they were nice, it was like playing Yellow all over again.
Why not use the Spotpass feature of the 3DS to bring back trainer bases in X and Y?

It's small shit like this that just shows the team making these games has no idea what they're doing. Even in Sun and Moon there's some bullshit about going to an island and letting pokemon roam and collect beans. Who the fuck is ever gonna use that?
It just boggles my mind that they would think something like that would make the game better. It's just padding that 90% of the people won't even ever notice.

change it from an rpg to a fighting game

The customization in S&M is shit compared to the one in X&Y. I sure hope you like tshirts and shorts. They also made the online play shit. In X&Y you could be online and interact with people while you were playing the game. In S&M you have to go to the plaza and manually connect every time, and it disconnects you whenever you leave.

First of all, get rid of that 'Held Item that lets you use 6 moves' nonsense. Not only would that be a bitch to program, but it'd be completely broken, and not in the fun way.
Then there's the proposed changes to type effectiveness. First off, water being effective against ice is because water implies that it's warmer than its freezing temperature, which is how things work in nature.
Then there's the change to the fire/water matchup, which would render the other two starters functionally worthless, in addition to being entirely against common sense.
Then there's the bullshit with fire/fairy matchups. Fairies are the worst, I get it, but there's no logic behind fire being super effective.
Fighting is super effective against steel for the same reason it is super effective against rock. Changing this matchup means you have to change similar matchups.
Normal isn't an "anti-weirdness" type. Psychic isn't an "anti-mundane" type. Making them super effective against each other makes no sense.
Grass being super effective against dragon is fucking weird. As if a plant could stop a fucking dragon.
Tweaking stats doesn't help at all.

I'm not keen on fire types actually. Your response is exactly what I'm looking for, other anons tweaking the system and giving feedback on what works and doesn't work. I saw a LOT of people pissing on fairy for being OP when X/Y launched, which I saw you agree on but not on other things. This is how devs agree on things, which is nice, because if one thing gets nerfed, another type will become stupidly OP.

Always remember though, balancing battles will not make the game by itself good. We have to also extract the formula of Pokémon itself and dissect it, toss out what people hated and add more substance to it. There are many sides and hurdles to making a game good.

I'll respond to this post again in a bit, but I like what you're saying!

Pokken, anything else is too much effort for the lazy gooks.

This is obvious, Smash and Pokémon are not competitive.
They can be challenging though, I'm sure there is a clear distinction between competitive and challenging/hard.

For men it's about as good as XY. Just a lot of the same options, all mostly shit.
Agreed for the Plaza, it's just fucking retarded in general.

Again, GF trying to attach on something they had gotten right in B/R. Why do you need anything more than just going somehwere and trade or fight? It's dumb, it's wasting dev time on parts of the game that have absolutely no need for it.

I haven't found a good pair of pants anywhere in S&M yet. It's all fucking capris, ripped 3/4 jeans and cargo shorts. They're garbage options.

The plaza itself isn't a bad idea. Having something to build up and grind isn't a bad idea, though the plaza has a bit too much RNG involved. Forcing you to use it for all online interactions is stupid however.

You read a lot of what I typed wrong, but I do get where you're coming from. The concept of these things is pretty dumb to begin with.
Like fairy being super effective against fight, bug to psychic, flying to fight, etc.

Fire can freeze water, fire burns fairies and their homes to a crisp, that's what I went with. If this was like real life, like anything, Normal would get fucked by EVERYTHING, fight would be super effective against bug (because come the fuck on), fire would evaporate water, fairy would have no effects with ghosts, etc, but I'll see if any other user would contribute to better type matchups.

It's hard to try to focus on balance without jumping the shark so to speak. That, and this is one of the many things that needs tweaking, other things are the story, characters, routes, plots, location, mon design, post game content. Etc.

I was gonna ask, what other things bother you about the games? I might make another thread in a week to suck up as much criticism as possible.

The plaza would be fine if it wasn't a replacement for the PSS. The mall minigame from BW2 was fun and I'm glad to see it return in some fashion. However, the PSS got almost everything right in regards to player connection and what we have now is just too far of a step back and it drags the entire Plaza down with it.

Excuse me, I meant, ICE can freeze water.
Jesus Christ.

That's one of the few things gen 6 did right, yes.
The PSS was damn near perfect. I'm unsure if I have any actual complaints against it.

You know what would massively improve the Pokemon games? If they didn't include the same fucking pokemons on half the routes in the game. Make me actually want to explore new areas for mons, not make me groan and wish I had used a repel. No mon should show up on more than four routes, ever. Most should be limited to two. I recently started exploring the post-E4 area of S&M, and what do I find? A FUCKING TRUMBEAK and a bunch of other mons I'm already sick of. Zubats and Tentacools should be rare finds, not something you get 99% of the fucking time in caves/seas. You'd think these retards would have learned not to swarm you in Zubats of all fucking things.

I remember playing one of the B&W series games and every area had a bunch of new and interesting mons to catch. That's good design. Or maybe it was the AS hack, but I don't think so since I dropped that early on.

Most of my main complaints are here
The rest are very small nitpicks. Especially in Sun and Moon small things like the camera being way too close most times, having no control over it but the game still moving it weirdly. I remember Black/White and XY having some impossible to navigate cities because of this.

Another big problem is how small the world feels, it just never really looks like you got anywhere at all. Everything feels so incredibly condensed, and that should've been a thing that I would've improved as the hardware progressed, but it always stayed the same, if not worse.

Character designs and the general anime-feeling is also extremely detrimental to immersion in the world.

Again it's about 4 gens worth of nitpicking, I wouldn't know where to start. At this point the devil is in the details, small things that are just annoying and show how little thought was put into them.

I'm going to bed, feel free to interchange and further discuss things about plot, music, character design, interactions, story, aesthetic design, geological locations, monster design, plot, writing, texturing, adventure, post game content and more. Spill it, all of it.

Let the inner professional inside you boss game freak around. Telling them how to do things around here, and how to do them right.

Anything that comes to mind, let me know.

Let's see if we can make Pokémon great again.

I don't know what kind of physics you were taught in school, but for ice to freeze water, it would have to be pretty fucking cold. We're talking 'causes frostbite on contact' levels of cold.
As for fairies against fire, by that logic, fire should be super effective against normal, fighting, psychic and dark as well. On top of that, fairies are literally made from magic; it'd make more sense for them to resist fire.
Fighting is weak to bug because of that whole 'martial artists trying to catch flies with chopsticks' thing. It's a really hard thing to do, requiring years of training. Also, bugs in the Pokemon universe can be up to the size of a Volkswagen.
For fire to evaporate water, it'd have to be just as hot as ice would have to be to freeze water.
Fairies and ghosts are both magical entities, one being a representation of pure magic and the other being what is left of the soul after death. Of course they would still affect each other.
The changes you suggest are fucking asinine, while the things you say are strange make sense. Fighting doesn't work too well on a fairy or a bird because fairies are made of magic, and therefore really hard to hurt by conventional means, and birds can just fly. Psychic doesn't do too well against bug because bug minds are too simple to be largely affected by psychic powers.

NO CYNTHIA NO FAP

No you fucking can't.

I fucked up. My mouse is broke and it doubled the number and then I deleted it all and didn't re-click your post because I'm stupid.

Get good? Its fucking pokemon. You were retarded as child, replay blue now and if you can't get through teh game with just squirtle. You're bad. It only gets easier as the gens go on.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't do it yourself.

Good luck using that Squirtle on Lt.Surge, also Squirtle can't learn cut, so you'd still need to catch one that can even let you get to that point.
I'm not saying they were hard games at all. I'm saying there were times when you could get stumped late game ( as a kid) and that you're full of shit that you can clear the game with one pokemon.
You need one to cut and surf along with the other HM moves. Unless you cheese a rule that you can use HM whores and reset if the starter dies, you're flat out lying. Even in the later games you would need 2-3 just to use the HMs. Ruby was the last one I played till Moon and I hardly remember that one. I do recall needing a bunch of HM bullshit ( or that could also have been gold)
That might be the only thing you're right about, that they get easier, but I fucking already said I felt that way too, retard.

First generation in the franchise and as a result far too unpolished and lacking in quality of life features. Trying to replay it after playing the later generations feels like such a painful chore.
Didn't play
Played Emerald, I honestly don't think I can say anything bad about it
Sloooooooooooooow. Probably has some of the worst Pokemon designs in the franchise.
Didn't play.
So pathetically easy that a toddler could play it, very poorly put together story and progression and worst characters in the series, no contest. Mega-evolution also ruined everything
Story felt rushed but I genuinely liked it, felt like some areas were too small, not enough optional areas and post-game. Removed some of the quality of life features that Gen 6 had.

After Gen 7 I have enough confidence in their ability to make more good games but there are still areas they could improve in, Pokemon designs wouldn't be one of them, they're fine as they are. I don't mind the difficulty, Pokemon is meant to be a comfy game for kids. Even the devs know that the people who want a hard game are a minority audience, and Gen 1 wasn't that hard to begin with once you had a team going, just really tedious like plenty of older RPGs.

I'd definitely like a harder game at some point, but why get so worked up and emotionally invested into an idea that you have no control over?

But goddamn she's pure sex

I pity the fool who didn't get to experience Gen II

Just add difficulty modes. They did for BW2.

bump

A lot of dex entries of Pokémon have temperatures up to 20,000c+ user, it's hard to believe something like that would be affected by water.

Unless we had a magma type or something, to be what ice is to water, or what rock is to ground .

I'm just spitballing here for the most part, if we're going strictly for reality then Normal would be the weakest type, but it's nice to have a little liberty with it.

I WANT A GAME WHERE I CAN CATCH THEM ALL GOD DAMN IT
Any romhacks you guys suggest for this exact purpose?
And yes i wanna be able to catch all stages of all pokemons, i don't care about >muh evolve only

The latest romhack is Star Sapphire, make sure to also download Nova Moon

volt whit has all 700 or whatever pokeymans, it also upped the difficulty

I'd rather stuff i can emulate.
Man, now i'm tempted to just randomize a Black2 ROM and play that.

Why not try Volt/Blaze romhacks?

Yeah looks awesome.
Thanks!

I liked Gen 6 (X and Y) and Gen 7 about as equally. Gen 7 hurts itself with a longer, unskippable tutorial, SOS calls that makes catching tedious and what feels like less customization options than Gen 6.

Gen 7 has some amazing pokemon though. People hate on the alolan variants but I think they're great, with a twist on older Pokemon. Plus some newer pokemon like Mareanie/Toxapex are great.

Gen 6 because less sloggy tutorial and the game feels like it opens up faster. I also felt like the sense of adventure was a bit grander. I didn't mind the smaller feeling areas in Gen 7, but I remember Gen 6's region with its vastly different areas more fondly.

I also remember being disappointed that I couldn't dress like Valerie. Or have any "extravagant" clothes, in either of the gens

You want to know disappointment? X/Y introduced player customization, didn't let you remove your hat, Kalos was fucking Poke-France,

AND THEY DIDN'T LET ME WEAR A BERET

I hated that too, but at least you could get cool hats with cool hairstyles and better clothes.

You could remove it in Sun/Moon but those outfits are horrible.

When I saw the asian-themed villages I expected asian-themed clothes but got fucking nothing.

Still having a full non-chibi model at all times pretty much makes up for it all. They fucked up X/Y and OR/AS by not taking advantage of the move to 3D like this.

Yeah, the non-chibi thing is an improvement.

Still really wish I could be running around in more sporty or fashionable or extravagant clothes with a pony tail or something similar.

I feel like Sun/Moon was my absolute best experience so far. I never had to grind because if I saw myself falling behind the curve I could just turn on exp. share, but I didn't use it often so I was never downright overleveled. I also had to use alot of different strategies i never would have used in other games. Theres this one old lady with a Carbink that used some move that raised its attack several times before I could kill it, and then it swept my team, so I went to my PC and got a Grimer with disable and turned off the attack raising move so I could live long enough to kill it. Most people complain about the trainers not having enough pokemon but when trainers with just one are capable of sweeping my team I think its fair. Especially if you fight them all in a row without healing in-between.
Also, on the cutscenes, not a problem for me. I've been talking to every NPC, checking every trash can, and catching every new pokemon that I see, so it never felt like I was being rushed along. In fact I was thirty-five hours in when I got to the fourth island, and fifty when I got to the elite four. So I'm watching the same amount of cutscenes as everyone else but I chose to do 15 hours of miscellaneous dick-around stuff between each cutscene. Also Kahili is best girl

She was okay. Kinda cute. Also kind of a surprise, really. I don't know if she was hinted at before but it felt like they drummed her up for the Elite 4.

It's a minor thing but they also balanced money really well. I always had some money, but not enough to buy EVERYTHING that I wanted – and at the same time I never felt like I had to go out and grind for hours to have enough to buy something either.

I take it you never found the clothing store in the mall then.

If you talk to people at one of the hotels (I think it was Hano Grand Resort) they talk about her but thats about it. Acerola is a close second but everything else is fapbait

The thing about gen 1 is that it is just a complete mess of shitty game making. I mean, it works fine for being a kids game, but in the end i would say it is the worst one if were talking about quality. Moves dont work as they should, some sprites are good while others look like a mess
The only other pokemon i played was emerald, and with that comes they usual complaints like too much water

They could use newgame+
Or at the bare fucking minimum, multiple save files.

it's pretty good considering the almost stoneage technology they were working with and how much they were able to improve it in g/s

-Too easy. As the fanbase grew bigger and older they they should have added additional difficulty settings with better AI and team composition for enemys for more experienced players, instead of catering exclusively to new players.
At the very minimum they should have had options to skip the tutorial shit, for fucks sake the franchise is 20+ years old, I don't need to be forced to relearn how to catch a Pokemon every time I start a new game

-Version exclusives and event pokemon. Fuck them. If somebody wants to replay them a few years down the line there will be no way to catch them all because :
A) Its version exclusive and they dont have 2 systems with both versions or a friend to play a old ass game with.
B) Its version exclusive and the online servers no longer exist.
C) They cannot get it because it was only given out for a limited time online only.
Version exclusives should just be rarity based, not all or nothing true exclusives, maybe with only getting them post-game too.
Event exclusives should not exist at all, everything should be in-game from the start.

-Related to above, trade evolutions. Add a "stone" type item that triggers trade evolutions, as you will not always have somebody to trade with locally, and eventually online servers will be shut down.

-MEGAS. Remove them completley. They are absolute fucking garbage, they exist for no reason other than as a marketing gimmick.
Half of them are just buffs for already powerful pokemon, the other half have no reason they couldn't just be rebalanced and added as a new evo or as a alternate evo for already 3rd stage Pokemon, or just reworked into the vanilla version.

-Boxes. The pay 4 boxes shit is the most bullshit con I have seen in a while from Nintendo. There is no justifying it whatsoever.
-SaveFiles. 20 fucking years later and you still cant have multiple files. On the GB it was understandable, GBA & DS eh sure maybe, but on 3DS, especially when you can have your own fucking swappable SD cards for data and shit? Fuck off.

-If more save files are ever added I would like to see those rom randomizer mods to be incorporated in-game options as a nice little bonus for new save files, Obviously you wouldn't be able to play a randomized save online or trade them, but its still fun. Maybe as a reward for catching them all on the main save file?

-Overdramatic Story. I liked it much better when it was just "go beat gym leaders, oh also might as well beat these criminals because they are in the way". Gen 3 onward there is big dramatic plots where you stop world ending evil plans with Legends and shit.
I wouldn't mind the dramatic stories so much if they were done better, but overall the execution is pretty crap. If they can't do more complex stories well they should just keep it simple.

-Easy Legends. Related to above, Legends should have stayed as hidden secrets and optional dungeon/sidequest bonuses, not something you are guaranteed to fight & catch during the main story.

Followed until megas. Boohoo that your shitmon "bro" didn't get one.

But I dont want any Pokemon to get them. Megas as a whole are a fucking terrible mechanic.

If you like megas you should seriously consider suicide.

I don't think you can unfuck this franchise, but if I were starting from scratch, I would seriously consider eliminating experience, leveling, and most RPG mechanics altogether. Make the capabilities of each monster roughly constant across their species, once they've reached maturity. Make the game about exploiting the unique abilities of each species to solve problems, like the early anime where they're always trying to get out of some kind of danger. (I need to get around to reading Pokemon Special, no idea if it was anything like this). I'm imagining some kind of action or Pikmin-like pseudo-RTS system, ordering around multiple Pokemon at once, in an open world environment. There's a rare monster on top of this mountain? Ok, instead of just walking up to it and fighting some random encounters, how about we make the game about trying to figure out how the fuck to get up there? Even better if you did away with the Pokeball or summoning concept, now your choices of monsters are always limited by what you can practically use in the environment. And so on.

This would really thrive in a darker universe, possibly with permadeath. Taming that legendary dragon monster would be a whole lot more exciting if it involved sicking an army of monsters on it and possibly losing them all.

Jesus, I love the concept/promo art from GSC. Got more?

Enjoy, mate:
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Crystal

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_unused_Pokémon_and_character_designs
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Game_concept_art

archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Red_and_Blue
archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Art_from_Pokémon_Red_and_Green

Thanks famalan

even if its mega beedrill?

C U T E
U
T
E

Only has 649. There are similar style mods for pretty much all of them.

They've been pulling this shit from the start, sadly. They do it to make you buy both games or find people to trade with. I don't it, never did.

That's a really bad idea, user. I'm sorry.

It is still utter bullshit that this isn't a simple evolutionary line rather than the event exclusive bollocks.

It's true. At least their are some ways around it. I doubt ROM hacks are going anywhere anytime soon.

Anyone noticed the one hiker who claims to have evolved from a swimmer?

All of the above would be a better answer.

Not from nuzlocking, never bothered and the difference was easily noticeable in G6. The sad thing about this whole situation is that they fucked around with difficulty settings in G5.

You'd think they'd just hammer out the all the issues it had and built upon it so that they could please the older audience along with the newer but then we wouldn't be dealing with Gamefreak.

OC trainers are never anything but hot shit.

I would imagine indies lack the manpower of draw and animate hundreds of monsters, if you have too few monsters it would really hurt the gimmick.

To this day I still kind of like Haunter and Kadabra a little better than their evolutions because as a kid I never ever not ever had a chance to trade and evolve them.

Ganger is my favorite.Before I could trade he was almost "forbidden fruit" till I was traded with to get him. Too this day I make sure I get one on my team. He's a staple for me. I play causal pokemon anyway, not like I care about having the best team I can. Don't know or care where he is in "meta"

The only real thing needed to fix pokemon is a long balls to the wall hard post game with a nice continuous battle run area.

leave the main story as is it's there for the kids anyways, but the extended part should be more open and harder for the older players/getting the kids some hard earned memorable experience. as it is right now modern pokemon suffers hard from having no after game as the earlier versions did.

game freak needs to look at the end games of things like 3d world and the extra stages of mario galaxy for an idea of what to shoot for.

Sun/moon is the first gen I've actually phased huanter/gengar off the team.

It doesn't help that fucking everything seems to have dark type moves, especially the fighting types who'm I used to revel in using ghost against.

Nintendo and gamefreak are really odd in that they clearly don't care about older fans in how they make every game as though its the first(and probably will be) for each new generation of kids. Yet still like to cram in the callbacks and for lack of a better word, nostalgia bait for those same people they just don't care about otherwise.

That's because unlike Nintendo, Game Freak knows absolutely nothing about Game Design

I don't really get that part at all.

I will say this though sun and moon feels very much like mid point game like d/p did before platinum came out. my guess is the rumored "stars" or switch versions will shit all over the 3ds ones. or perhaps they'll get a new 3ds only update to unlock some extra stuff that doesn't play well with normal 3ds?

at this point who the fuck knows anymore.

Explain. Is it another trans character, like the one from X/Y?

Blurry as fuck, but I remember that.
He just became a Hiker instead of being a tranny or something. I honestly thought it was a Swimmer♀ to male Hiker.

Update: not even 8 hours into the game this happens.
I can't express my gratitude user, you made me like Pokemon again.

That's pretty cool!