Headphones and Sound nonsense

As cyber-Monday is coming up, it's almost time for some… okay not good, but sales nonetheless on headphones, so I decided that I should probably take the plunge and actually upgrade to something with actual sound quality for music and games.

So what are the best ~200-350$ headphones on the market Holla Forums?

inb4 beats

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190R
reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1fzonq/psa_for_games_using_openal_including_minecraft/
github.com/kosumosu/x3daudio1_7_hrtf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ATH-M50, faggot.

m50s are just Beats by Dre-tier.

I bought some sennheiser headphones a few years ago for like 60 bucks. They were quite adequate.
Then I lent them to someone and he broke them like a retard, so now I need new headphones as well.

You have the worst taste of headphones

Are audio-technica headphones overpriced garbage or are they actually good?

ATH-M50x. Doubt they sell the ATH-M50 anymore.
Don't get the M70s; they are really overpriced and not much better than the M50x or even M40x.

Seriously, niggas? What would you recommend then?

I don't have taste in headphones, since I've never had an opportunity to own a good pair.

Well my ath-m40x are pretty decent. They are durable, the sound quality is alright, and they got a pretty decent noise cancellation. I can't hear my usually noisy room mate when listening at 30% volume.

Don't fall into the $300 headset/microphone combo meme. They are usually garbage and uncomfortable pieces of crap that breakdown a couple of weeks after their warranty period. Its better to go for decent and comfortable headphones and a separate mic. Remember comfort is key when playing for prolonged periods of time.

Stay away from wireless rechargeable headsets. The sound quality diminishes as the battery dies, and some even produce static while charging and using them. Also the batteries are usually garbage. Eventually they would have to be permanently plugged in or you would have to buy additional brand batteries that are most likely already discontinued.

Yeah, I already have a mic, and was looking for pretty much just dedicated headphones.

So the ATH-M40x are actually decent headphones? And if so, are the 70s that much better, if I did honestly plan to dump a few hundred?
I was honestly in a tossup between them and the ones in the OP.

I don't have much experience with any brand of high quality headphones other than Sennheiser. I used to use the HD 558 with the foam inside the headphones removed before I switched over to the HD 600. When I switched over I noticed that there were diminishing returns in regards to the build quality and the sound. If you're able to get them for around $100 I'd suggest the HD 598 SE or the HD 600 if you get them around $250 or less.

The InstallGentoo Wiki has a good page explaining what you should look for when purchasing headphones wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones

I read through it, and I understand the basics. Neutral pair of headphones are ideal for most people so I want a relatively stable MFC.
Problem arises when there's roughly 200+ headphones and older versions being better than new and vice versa.
Also what is up with that chart at the bottom, some type of meme headphone?

I got a pair of Fidelio X2s. Previously only used headphones at the double-digit price point.
It's quite a difference.
Comfortable as all hell, and it was pretty strange listening to things when they suddenly had gotten more oomph to them.

Which chart? The image and the closed circumaural sets?

AKG K702 are my favorite for games. They have a large "sound stage" which is to say, they don't really sound like headphones. More like you're in a room. Hard to explain but this made them worth the $ to me. You'll also need some kind of amplifier unless you have a 300ohm amp built into your sound card.

the last headphone listed has -??? as it's cons.
I would assume it's some meme thing right?

I bought the AKG K550 after a thread a few weeks ago but they're not >200 eurodollars. Only better end headphones I've used are AD700's and these. Bought a little DAC for them and they sound nice.

Get those. It's what I have and they're great but also extremely durable.

Also don't fall for the open headphone meme. They sound nice but unless you live in a music studio room with a watercooled PC and don't move an inch while using them, then you're going to hate yourself eventually. I promise. You need to be isolated from sounds around you, through a good comfy sealed headphone.

Listen to this guy. I have a pair of k550s with a fiio amp, best headphone setup I've ever had. I've had high end atcs, grados, sennheisers.

What are some recommendations for dark or warm sounding headphones?

Shit nigga, K550s with a FiiO E10K is what I have. Are you me.

I'm guessing they're just not common enough for anyone to get a coherent negative together. Or the people using them haven't had much experience with other headphones to really give a decent comparison. Or they're using the ones with higher impedance.

I like to hear what's going on in the outside world.
But yeah, if there's noise, you're going to hear it as clearly as you would without wearing headphones. Having a quiet room and a water-cooled rig is good idea if you're going with open ones, as they're not the thing you'd want to use if you're trying to escape a noisy soundscape.

I will add that the K702s are studio monitor headphones. They're not muddy and are some of the clearest sounding headphones I've ever used. If you like picking up tiny ambient sounds, the crackling of flames, footsteps, and the mechanical sounds included in gunfire, these are going to be your jam. However, if you've gotten used to listening to muddy headphones or "bassy" headphones (i.e. beats) then you might think these lack bass. That's not the case at all – they just accurately reproduce it.

So how much should I expect a decent amp to run me then?

Fiio Alpen 2 is $99 on Amazon. You can't go wrong with that one but you might find a comparable amp for a few dollars less. But as with headphones, sky is the limit.

Phillips SHP9500s are still the best headphones below $100 and Newegg's got them for $60 new or $45 open box

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190R

I bought an open box pair a few months back and they came looking brand new.

I have the ATH-M40x and the headband is terrible; it doesn't feel like there's any cushioning at all. For now I'm using the HyperX Cloud II, although the sound quality isn't quite as good.

holy fucking shit my eyes are bleeding, let me guess, you buy nigger sneakers and personalized cases for your iphone too?

Get a nice set of speakers, faggot

I loved me some Sennheiser 595 for a few years. Still good, but personally right now I love me some Philips Fidelio X2

neo-neo/v/ was a mistake

Your conception was a mistake.

Agreed. Built like a brick shithouse. Only downside is that they're fairly heavy.

What are the cheapest headphones that I can fully appreciate my meme FLACs with?

ATH-M30
Monoprice DJ headphones

Don't forget to enable HRTF, user!

For OpenAL games:
reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1fzonq/psa_for_games_using_openal_including_minecraft/

For XAudio/X3DAudio games:
github.com/kosumosu/x3daudio1_7_hrtf

For $350?

Pioneer HDJ-2000's.

Indestructible and comfy as fuck. Also you can buy replacement cords, so they'll last you forever.

Nice projecting there, you missed abortion

If you're actually willing to spend 350 or so, the big 3 are Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 and AKG 70(2, 1, X). All three will require an amp and are not suitable for portable use, but the audio quality is great.

I have had these for years, and they are fantastic. Judging by current prices, I could sell mine used for more than I bought them for. But I won't.

Are Superlux 668b / 681 EVO / 662 EVO still the best thing I can get for under 50 bucks?