Why aren't more game devs doing this?

This is how you revitalize old franchises, or keep less old ones going- cheap, low-budget, but solid indie games that don't have giant marketing campaigns. We already saw in the PS1 and PS2 eras that certain kinds of games don't translate well to 3D or other defining features of a "full" game, which explains why they haven't even tried to make, for example, a 2D major Metroid release. Why the hell aren't more game devs doing this? Hell, they were even doing it for a while on WiiWare, PSN and XBLA, but that didn't last long enough. SEGA, Bamco, Koei Tecmo, Nintendo, take notes.
What game franchises do you want to see be given the "outsourcing to fans who give a shit" treatment?

probably not outsource to fans, because serious sam revolutions but when it does work its something like whitehead's sonic cd port

i would like the official teams to acknowledge fangames like sonic worlds and sonic souls

SSR isn't really a proper game in its own right. What's wrong with it though?

SSR is a dead expansion pack, it's still in early access hell, to show how fucking dead it is, croteam was so fed up they decided to release the original source code of the Serious Engine

Oh, I thought it was an HD compatibility type thing.

That's why you make sure you put actual game dev teams on it and not ragtag groups of modders. (well yeah this has been a good idea BEFORE but it's almost always a horrible idea)

it's worth noting that one of the founders of Westone is directly involved with some of the wonder boy/monser world revival games

this probably means he's approachable for project ideas
he's mentioned in interviews that he wants to make a 3D wonder boy

I like Sega, but there is one problem I have with them. Internally they are sitting on massively skilled people. Some have left to do their own thing, like Yuji Naka, but sega sports is a great example. A mass of incredible people who have worked on amazing games like panzer dragoon saga and JSRF delegated to making sports games. I'd love to see Sega restructure and begin expanding into more internal development teams. I'd love to see smilebit come back, hell, even revive andromeda. I hope Sega begins to grow and produce more and more great things with their IPs. Would still love to see a new Panzer Dragoon, or at least revival efforts for ports to modern systems.

they're bringing back another daytona usa as an arcade game and did a survey on what ip to revive

I don't think panzer dragoon would win it, but I'd very much like to see the survey raise interest. I do know a group that's been granted the opportunity to create vinyl's of the panzer dragoon soundtrack, so maybe there's some hope.

The other day I was lamenting how Wonder Boy hadn't spawned its subgenre like Metroid. I didn't even know about these remakes, so today you weren't a faggot, OP.

Faggots using the "It's [current year]" argument to everything that isn't used in modern titles anymore.

Because we are no longer the target audience. I could MAYBE see Nintendo do stuff like this. Microsoft & Sony though? No way.

Why would you even want that? Most of Panzer Dragoon's staff at SEGA is gone and the creator formed his own studio to make a Panzer Dragoon-like on the Xbone.

Yeah, I'm aware, the guy is working directly on Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom and he and others have given their blessing to the The Dragon's Trap remake.

Wonder Boy Returns doesn't even seem all that official, I wonder how they got the IP, or maybe it's just straight up public domain now.

I have no idea how a 3D Monster World game would play out (Zelda clone? Not enough of those), or a OG Wonder Boy game for that matter, but I'd buy it Day 1 like a fuckchump

Right? They (and many others) are smart enough to tell trying to make an AAA (or even AA) game out of their old franchises is a bad idea, but won't try to make an A or B game out of them, most likely because they don't have people to do that kind of low-risk low-reward project in them and/or executives/stockholders don't see demand.

Yeah, I learned about them just recently. None of the three are actually being made in conjunction with Sega, which is the main reason.

I personally want Skies of Arcadia or Gunvalkyrie just because they never got any sequels at all, but there are so, so many I'd want to see. I will suck horse cock if they can port or remake some of the games stuck on Xbox without backwards compatibility.

Don't market it to them, market it to older and/or more casual gamers.

They aren't the only three companies but you are right about them.

And it sucked because he's an idiot.

Modern game design is about killing ideas.

so where can I play those video games

What kind of subgenre would that be?

Arcade side-scrollers?

Both can be together…

side-scroller RPGs

arcade left the room with WB in Monster Land

I'd argue WBIML was very arcade-y, not only because that was the first platform it was released on but the whole stage setup and permadeath thing reads very much like an arcade port.

Honestly everything about the final stage is just a big ol' middle finger to the players. That and how limited the money is.

So when is Monster World IV getting a remake?

My dick thinks There needs to be more cutie arabian girls wearing parachute pants in gaming.

If the The Dragon's Trap remake does super well it's quite likely. Buy it.

Monster Boy? It's made with the assistance of the series' original director. Dragon's Trap is made by croutons with the blessing of multiple japs and Wonder Boy Returns was done by jugheads. Take your shitty jaded whining into another thread m8.

Holla Forums

Ahem, F(L)OSS? ZDoom, EDuke32, Arx Libertatis, so on, so forth, all the same as Serious Sam: Revolution in that they're outsourced to the fans, but different in that a. they're not shit, and b. they're actually outsourced to all the fans, not just to an elite circlejerk clique.

I love the art in this. Why can't more indie games make a good artstyle?

HOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIT!