Why can't zombie games be as scary as zombie films? Well, this film (more like kino) in particular. Minimum plot...

Why can't zombie games be as scary as zombie films? Well, this film (more like kino) in particular. Minimum plot, minimum scientific discussion, slow paced cinematography, and astonishing, psychologically terrorizing imagery.

What game comes close? Certainly not RE.

Other urls found in this thread:

almostnot.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/tarkovsky-and-boredom/
kickstarter.com/projects/1149400304/underscares-the-diaper-from-the-creators-of-outlas
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Zombies stopped being a spooky monster a long time ago, and are now just cannon fodder. A few people I know who were scared of zombies are now desensitized to them thanks to The Walking Dead.

Well, I remember PZ giving me some surprises at times. Dead Island has some moments but it gets pretty dopey fast.

Were zombies ever scary? I never thought they were but I am a filthy millenial so what do I know.

But Zombie 2 isn't very scary. Most of the action takes place in broad daylight. A fucking shark eats one of the zombies.

Zombie films are only scary if the characters in them are fucking retarded.
Usually the thread in a zombie movie are the humans and how they act, not the zombies

For further explanation, I'm disappointed by how artificial the zombies in video games and movies look like. They look very artificial, they're not like corpse, this is what a real unearthed corpse looks like.

And why do devs and directors always rely on the darkness meme? Zombies are more menacing in broad daylight, especially when they look like real corpse. It's a breaking the fourth wall thing. When they're just limping chunks of flesh, it wouldn't be believable, but realistic looking corpses as shown in Zombi 2 will make you shit your pants.

I used to think the same, but Zombie 2 will change your mind.

I don't know why you are trying to meme zombi2 as a something really scary. It's average like most zombie movies.

Most zombie games are just too easy. For all the shit TLoU gets the zombies in it are actually pretty scary on the hardest difficulty since they kill you in 1-3 hits and ammo is limited.
If you combined the sandbox of Project Zomboid with Dead Rising's weapons and environment interactivity, TLoU's zombie and bandit design + scarcity and perhaps some of the elements of State of Decay, you'd get an interesting zombie game.

One of the biggest problem with Dead Island and such zombie games is the autistic pacing. The cinematography in the cutscenes are too fast for their own sake, the actions are too fast, the playable characters are too strong, and so on.

The Spaniard grave scene can't be half as scary at night setting. The uploader missed most of the aesthetically interesting sequences here, but yes, this scene.

That one scene was a fucking joke, I'll admit. But still cool and original.

They're scary when the director knows how to make the actor show legit looking fear. Our brain doesn't always perceive images logically and we don't perceive time as precise as a clock. To insist a "true to life" perception on the audience the director would have to create something poetic and psychologically endearing, not logically. It might look retarded when observed without emotional investment, but when it's treated as an experience rather than scientific reality it would feel truthful.

Zombies aren't scary but vengeful ghost and youkai are.

One thing I really don't like about Zombi 2 fans, they value the repulsive scenes a lot more than the aesthetic values of the movie. Zombi 2 has a lot of underappreciated aesthetics derived from the long takes, excellent costume design, and haunting score. The fans however chose to focus on the most gory scenes like a bunch of sadistic psychos they are. There's a reason why the film caught Tarkovsky's interest (even though he admitted that it's a repulsive trash), and these fags can't seem to appreciate this quality.

The same can be said for zombie and horror fans in general. They're escapists who rarely understand the importance of aesthetic quality. They just want to be spooked, they just want to be grossed out, they ignore their artistic sensibility in favor of entertainment.

It's not the difficulty of the combat that makes zombies scary, even though that might add some suspense value. It's the aesthetics.

Bad pacing ruined those two games and hampered them from delivering true horror, as always. Should've been slower and more subtle that every anomaly puts fear into the audience.

Oh please, the asian versions of zombies are lamer than ours and half the youkai are comical in looks.

I think haitian zombies is a lot creepier than radiated virus genetic mutations or whatever zombies romero and alike have.

Zombies were never scary (Gore is not horror) because they aren't supposed to be. The End-of-the-World situation they create and the interactions between humans is what drives a zombie plot.

But didn't romero's idea come from exactly the voodoo styled zombies ?

There has never been a single scary zombie movie, and I've certainly seen most of them.

Shit movie, not even a little scary.

Desensitization and nobody is autistic enough to make an actually good zombie game, since that would mean doing research on viruses/spores/whatever meme vector you want for a zombie disease and designing gameplay on reducing your chances of being infected. This would mean the player has to manage what they wear, regional damage (no more PCs wearing short sleeve shirts when getting zombie blood in a scratch is what will lead to death, fuck you TLOU), some sort of way to track vectors in the air and them collecting on the skin/clothing.

tl;dr make every zombie great again and each encounter will kill you if you aren't careful

I wouldn't say ruined but I agree about the slower pace thing. Of course Nioh isn't strictly a horror game anyway.

And the other half are fucking terrifying.

NotLD was heavily inspired by I Am Legend.

Romero based his zombies as a criticism of capitalism. People took the meme too far and unironically made zombies a genre.

If you really want an example of terrifying zombies in games then look up thralling clouds/mist/fog in Dwarf Fortress.

Not the scariest movie ever made, but the aesthetics prevailed among horror flicks I've watched. I've explained why.

I've said earlier that convoluted scientific details and plot should be discarded, devs should focus on the aesthetics of the zombies instead.

My criticism is mostly directed at fatal frame. Don't care about nioh.

What's the scariest movie ever made, nigger?

Assuming I haven't seen it yet, I will go watch it right now. Let's see how shit your taste really is.

This is about making good video games, not good looking tech demos.

If you want to make fighting zombies scary, you have to simulate them being terrifying, as in every time you come across one you can die easily. There's nothing convoluted about simulating how viruses actually work rather than having 100hp. Talk to any paramedic/medical professional and get their opinion on how seriously they would take an AIDs patient with open wounds going mad, or any mad patient with open wounds. They would be the first people to turn 360 degrees and nope out.

I don't know, I don't really like to be scared. I watched Zombie 2 for the eeriness not the jumpscare. I've seen The Curse and it's much scarier than Zombi 2 I guess. It's a shit movie though.

The potential of horror games lies in the aesthetics. Silent Hill is a shit game but the horror is effective.

That doesn't really say jack shit about how it actually plays.

Fuck that. All it needs is a e s t h e t i c s

Like Condemned, if you really want to care about the gameplay.

I'm all for a e s t h e t i c s but it still has to play decently.

Now you're talking.

Noroi, or the Wil Wheaton movie?

Zombie films are scary, op, they're funny.

Unless you have a different definition of aesthetics than me, making games look good don't actually make them good. Are you talking about character and level design being important in making games scary?

I think he's confusing aesthetic with atmosphere.

Like Condemned, but you play as a weak and frail 12 year old girl with jackshit combat proficiency and barely any capability to handle guns. Bonus point, make her naked in the entire game so you'll feel even more feeble, and for the fat disgusting antisocial pedocucks to fap to.

The jap one.

is a part of aesthetics.

If we're talking fetish bait then why just not have you play hot chick #12309 stranded on an island mansion filled with prime arnold schwartznegger look alikes and all they want to do is fuck you into submission/unconsciousness/whatever?

Alright, she'll be clothed then.

I know Lucio Fulci was a hack, but fucking hell, he accidentally made a great flick here - certainly a more stylish and shocking one than the (smarter) Romero movie it was piggybacking on. I bet you faggots like Wes Craven and hate Lamberto Bava, too.

Dead Island seemed to be trying to channel the Island of the Living Dead theme, but fucked up the execution hard after you left the city. Hell, Riptide even named the new Aussie cunt after the guy who plays the retard in City of the Living Dead (and gets his benis hacked off in Cannibal Ferox).

That's for a different fetish of mine.
Instead of arnold schwartznegger lookalikes you instead get amazonian musclegrills chasing after you. Every time you get caught they dominate you in wrestling and strip you of a part of your clothing, and then they strip themselves of that part of clothing as well. Once you're naked they gangbang you forever.

But why do they have to be scary? Left 4 Dead is by far the best zombie game and it is not scary at all.

It was B-movie as fuck. Fulci, even though he was too vulgar at times, at least knew how to make an actual horror cinema.

As for Dead Island, it's nowhere as stylish as Fulci.

Dude, that ain't horror.

Because cartoonish zombies get boring quickly.

I think KF2 is more fun.

GUYS, WHAT IF
WHAT IF…..

WE DID AN OPEN WORLD ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME in the style of Hotline Miami

Zombie movies are scary?

Well, for movies you can push the gore factor, but that only goes so far in games. What gets to me in zombie movies is when someone is being killed by them and you hear them screaming for help, seeing them being eaten alive etc. So maybe whenever the player character or an NPC dies show that, and make it unskippable. And don't make them easy to mow down, make them resilient and fast so they pose a threat, otherwise they are just goofy cannon fodder. Lastly, don't give the game a happy ending, one of the things that makes zombies scary is they are seemingly inescapable, there is no cure, there is no end to them, and there is no stopping them. I think that would be a good way to make a scary zombie game.

you never played RE games? those are spooky.

Should be like something in the vein of Dwarf Fortress then. You literally cannot escape the dead as far as i'm aware. If you hack off a limb, the limb is reanimated. You can't get rid of them even if you hack them to pieces. You need to utterly obliterate them in every way to get rid of them.

The zombie mode in the CoD games are the best as they accurately portray the unending waves of zombies ultimately killing the survivors while highlighting the limits of humanitys will to survive.

Romero just ripped off the vampires from I am Legend he even admits it himself that the book gave him the idea for Night of the Living Dead

I don't know about going as far as that, but they do need to be far less vulnerable than they are most games. It would be cool to see a game revolve around unkillable enemies like that though, so instead of shooting them to kill, you shoot them to slow them down and just need to keep running.

So braindead or the return of the living dead rules?

That game is called Siren.

This game did the trick for me.

Problem is microphones.

The implications of cod zombies always freaked me out whenever I thought about them too much. The thought of having to fend off a literally unending wave of zombies with absolutely no breaks or resting is a bit terrifying; you're more likely to die of exhaustion than from being eaten.

Long take and minimum dialogue are necessary in horror themed films and games. A beautiful image shouldn't be killed so instantly, it should be preserved to your heart's content. Jump cuts, shaky cam, and autistic panning are cancer. Too bad, horror fans just don't get it. They hate art, they just want cheap spooks and gore.

And screw good and bad ending, they're both cliche. A work of art shouldn't be associated with any kind of emotion. The ending should be neutral without any form of emotional manipulation. It should end with a conclusion dialogue, and I think we should be clueless of what will happen next. Audience should be left in a quandary.

Making zombies fast ruins the horror. They wouldn't look like walking corpses anymore. Make them a bunch of rotten, drying corpses covered in dirt like if they were buried for a decade or more. Make them move in a strut. They should be stiff and lifeless like a dead body. The problem with Romero style zombie is they're not lifeless enough.

The player should be weak and vulnerable, and the zombies should sometimes appear in unexpected places.

Yes. The story is absolutely retarded, the characters are despicable, and the zombies don't give as much psychological impact as Fulci. I don't like modern depiction of zombie, they're not endless enigma, they left necessary aspect of horror in favor of pseudo scientific plot.

Because without hollywood retardation zombies don't pose that big of a threat.

Because zombies aren't scary, they have no brain.

Better off with Ayy's, Daemons, or Dinosaurs. They can be far scarier.

Can someone explain what kino is anyway? Is it just an inside joke meme that Holla Forums uses to make fun of snobs? I know it's supposed to be a film that's really prestigious, but the majority of movies they choose are just obscure, pretentious flicks.

It's a term derived from Dziga Vertov's Kino Pravda, which means Film-Truth. Kino are films that use humane perception of time and reality as the most valuable resource for a creation of poetic reality, thus deviating themselves from commercial movies that are created for mere entertainment. There's a long essay that explains the importance of these valuable resources.
almostnot.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/tarkovsky-and-boredom/

Read Sculpting in Time if you're truly interested.

Can Great Unclean Ones really be considered brainless zombies though?

or am I retarded and you put them there under Demons

None of this look scary.

Resident Evil Remake was pretty terrifying when you're down to your last magazine and you have no idea if one of the zombies you killed, but didn't have time to burn, will come back as a crimson head.

You slipped some unspoilered vempire in there, friend.

We have guns that can turn bone to jelly both with force and fire rate, that are easy to use and transport. We have napalm that can be directed with good efficiency that can melt muscles. Then the zombie bodies will also very rapidly decay due to a lack of food etc, and they will all die out in weeks from a lack of food and water.

It's the same as 'why are people scared of Cthulhu, we could just nuke him'. The nuke didn't exist when Cthulhu was invented, and back in the 60's/70's when zombie mythology started to emerge and develop the idea of a horde that didn't die to being shot was still conceivably threatening.

I know the point of both zombies and cthulhu stories isn't 'They're scary because we can't kill them', but the fact we can handle them so easily takes away the credibility that they would be a realistic threat.

I don't know what the thread is about, but Nurgle demons and his followers are not supposed to be scary, just disgusting and decaying.

Fucking kill yourself Holla Forums

But do it on Holla Forums

Then what is

By Cthulhu merely waking up, he drives those of creative minds mad. If he actually noticed us and gave a shit about antagonizing humanity like Nyarlathotep does, he could drive a whole lot of other people mad, including those with access to nukes.

Now, if we can find him and nuke his dumb city before he wakes up? Sure, we could probably take him on and win; humans have ingenuity and a will to survive if nothing else. But faggots also keep forgetting he's not the worst threat in that mythos, not by a long shot.

Come on now. Dindu woman watches zombie rise from the ground in front of her for 10 seconds and doesn't move back at all. Just waits there for it to bite her neck.
I don't understand what you like so much about this other than the slow and imposing zombies.

is that Dickman?

What do you mean user? Games are so scary these days that the developers have to make promotions with diapers!

Apparently this is a real thing.

Yeah in Siren the shibito just get knocked out and revive after a while. It just makes running past all encounters the best strategy though.

Cthulhu is the resident top Dreamer NEET of Earth. Slight adversity and he goes back to sleeping, just like a shut in decides to buy groceries the next week because he hurt his toe while opening the front door.

I've got a bridge to sell you.

This.

Also his slumber is also him half-dead but not really, because as a Great Old One, and being the literal Pope/Christ Figure for the Outer Gods, makes it so that he is effectively rejuvinating himself since his literal Crusade against the other earth dwellers when he arrived on the planet way back when.

R'yleh is literally a massive Atlantian Euclidean Spaceship complex run by star spawn, which amount to the guy's Mini-me's created and purposed for various tasks, and when I say mini-me's I mean they're so fucking big you'd mistake them for the real thing, though some are humanoid sized to boot, and to top that off it's home to his daughter who is technically his sex-slave is a creepy and others he brought with him on his arrival.

More importantly, there's no confirmation Nukes would work against Great Old ones, seeing as they're the offspring of beings literally brought forth by the big bang, which was god simply stirring a little, who are effectively at the points of being the highest evolutionary lifeforms conceivable to the point where they reproduce just by walking around via a ridiculously complex process dubbed fission people worship them just because they're literally the antithesis to that whole "nothing fucking matters so make the most of it and what matters is what you do" narrative, they're one big fat fuck you to that entire narrative, An Outer god moves, or a Great Old one walks, and everything feels it simply by being.

They're creatures with higher geometry, understanding of higher concepts, who are made out of textures, auras, substances not even listed on periodic tables, to the point where looking at them breaks your sanity, or utterly fucks with given perception, you look at them, and your brain returns and error, then it crashes and burns, these thing bathe in various radiations making it deadly to even be near them, and sometimes stink so foul you could vomit yourself to death.

A game that would do these things properly, would include optical illusions up the ass and constant intrusions on the gameplay to fuck with or otherwise seek to deter and mess with a player to the point of total paranoia, that plats odd if not violent music that consist on uncommon instruments and messed up noises made to interrelate with the concepts at hand.

Fun Fact: That Clicking/Clacking noise the Yithans make in Call of Cthulhu? Its the sound of Cockaroach brainwaves, which is meta and amazing as fuck because it's literally the very thing Yithans become after projecting themselves.

The Shoggoths in CoC was also good, as those noises it made were close to how I'd imagine them to sound, I'm disappointing it didn't make the Teke-li-li noise, which would be replicated via two rounded magnets smashing against each other in a certain fashion.

Whats with diapers and gaming lately?

Most SJW's act like giant babies. They need diapers. Have you not seen the safety pin thing?

you mean that massive one over ur mom's vagina? ;)

I'm pretty sure the sound is just fluting from pipe like organs. You seem to be high on auxillary material. Cthulhu is just a fat lazy faggot with a tentacle neckbeard that got his shit kicked in by a group of luddite sentient plant hings.

To be fair, they were basically Cosmic Insane Science German anemones.

And Shoggoths are literally endless organ generating shapesifting oozes that fuck their own shit up just as much as anyone elses due to all the fucking chemicals they pump into themselves via the constant organ generation and the deep sea pressure and the bends and shit, they take too much abuse.

Anyhow the magnet I'm thinking of is kinda shaped like a an Ayy's eyes, I forgot the name, bu thye were a kids toy of some description.

Did the paramedic moonwalk out of there?

Teke-li-li isn't an original shoggoth sound, it's how the Elder Things signalled with their flute like organs. They even seem to have carved their city valley to make a similar sound in the wind. Shoggoths themselves aren't particularly notable, they were organic construction and heavy lifting equipment.

People seem to be really keen on giving weird explanations to the very mundane things in Lovecraft's stories.

They wouldn't. It's stated that Great Old Ones aren't made entirely out of normal earthly matter. Their physical form can be "disrupted" but not really harmed. Even disruption is probably just a minor annoyance, it certainly didn't seem to stop Cthulhu's psychic field. That only ceased when he and R'yleh sank again.

Horror is a personal experience dude. Scratch that world war z shit, it can't be good. Good horror should be in a smaller, more subtle scale.

Dunno, some hentai shit?

Wow, excuse me boy but this is some colossus scaled convoluted schizo wacko autism shit. Where's the scare?

Read some fucking Lovecraft user.

What the fuck is "kino" and why do millennials keep saying it all the time?

That's like saying it's the best piece of shit you've ever seen.

There's no Lovecraft kino though. How can Tarkovsky think for me if there's no Lovecraft kino?

a Holla Forums forced meme for "good movie"

Kino is German for cinema, if my memory of highschool German is correct.
I think it's also a casino game, like a lotto thing or that maybe Keno

it means "movie theatre" in Croatian

they probably mean something else though

>takes 3 bat swings to remove or three bullets

Seriously, it's the best "Zombies are fucking nasty" game I've played and really messes with your head when your characters starts to panic.

that fucking schoolyard

Stopped reading there. Game sounds like fucking trash

What about the PC port?

Probably 2ez

I never said you HAD to go back to those areas, just that you should be combing everything and that backtracking to areas you've been to is a good idea.

The game was built with the Gamepad in mind and is one of the few games where they actually planned around it.

For example, when you open up the backpack, the TV just shows your character looking into their backpack while you have the inventory open in the pad, forcing you to look away from the realtime action going on.

It does the "immersion" quite well, but the PC and other ports don't have a gamepad, and what's was left after the rest of the changes to account for the lack of gamepad is a slow, non-immersive zombie shooter.

Yes you fucking did
need
As in, fucking required. You have to do it. You need to get used to those areas and you need to routinely scavenge for magically replenishing ammunition because as you later said, the game is centered around shooting things and the melee weapon is for shitters.
Why the fuck would they make a survival horror game and then make it all about killing all the enemies? What's scary about shooting stuff in the face? I bet there are conveniently placed heavy machine guns scattered around too.

Zombie films from 2000+ are just gore shit
Zombie games can't scare you because you have fucking input so even if you're playing as the teenager girl with shaky hands you're not thinking like the teenager girl with shaky hands and either fighting back or gtfoing.

Don't want to talk about early access stuff, but 7 days to die is actually scary, specially when the hordes come after you.

Video games can't be scary, they can't tell a good narrative, they can't be "atmospheric", and they can't have a meaningful impact on any part of your life. They're just computer games and nothing more.

Zombi 2 is the best Zombie movie ever made. The eye gouge scene was fucking amazing, and the the zombie make-up is 10/10.

fun fact: they handed out barf-bags when it came out in theaters

What a shit taste TBH fam.

It's borrowed from Kino-Pravda you faggots, which means Truth Cinema.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

This. Same as books, movies, poetry, or any other meaningless distraction. It's all worthless wastes of time

I'll give you the rest, but video games can be scary.

No they can't. Name one objectively scary game

ars longa vita brevis

minecraft with fnaf mod

Not games

Why are you even on Holla Forums, you enormous faggot?

I come here to laugh at cucks like you

Romero combined Haitian zombies with Ghouls, which are flesh eating creatures that like to hang out in graveyards.

Nice VPN, faggot

The first Woman in Black was terrifying when the atmosphere was right. It's been mimicked to hell though, so it's a lot of its spookiness. Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2 were wonderfull zombie movies as well.

Zombie games went to shit with call of duty. Its zombie mode was fantastic, but it desensitized the younger generations and turned them into faceless goons. The focus went from survival to run and gun.

If you honestly think video games are more than just video games, you probably belong in a San Francisco 24/7 gay bar and not here. Never will they be art, never will they be taken seriously by art institutions, and this is good because art is for fags. The best games have no semblance of story, characters, setting, or anything that the fags consider important.

But I don't pretend that vidya can be art. The complexity of gameplay always ruins the sense of intuition needed to consume art. To create art out of interactive digital media, the competitiveness must be abolished. We would create walking simulator instead of video game.

user
kickstarter.com/projects/1149400304/underscares-the-diaper-from-the-creators-of-outlas

We need heart attack medication supply, not diapers.

too bad outlast isn't scary
in fact, none of the scary walking sims are, I think because I know what happens every time I get caught and it gets annoying after 3rd time

It's useful for cry of fear, that jumpscare piece of shit.

Just remake Outbreak 1 & 2. They were fantastic games with amazing atmosphere and they took place during the initial outbreak too. They could improve the ai, give it sharper visuals and add in new and more detailed areas. The zombies used to follow you through rooms too. What if large groups of them never stopped following you unless you took steps to lose them? It could work like the nemesis system where they aggressively track you.

cuck

Why the survivors never use hollow point bullets aganist the zombies?

The best handgun ammo against zombies are objectively .38spl 200gr super police and .45 hydra shock.

To be fair, cry of fear isn't a walking sim.