Secretary of Defense James Mattis stated on or about February 2nd, 2018 that the United States has no evidence that the Syrian government used the banned nerve agent Sarin against its own people in attacks in 2013 and 2017.
The most recent accusation provoked a massive Tomahawk strike ordered by President Trump that was quite provocative in the eyes of the Russian Federation and of course the Syrian government.
As TheDuran's Seraphim Hanish details, Secretary Mattis’ assertion is in direct contradiction to the White House Memorandum which was rapidly written and declassified to justify the Americans’ strike.
However, the Secretary offered no specifics to his statement. He did discuss the fact that there were aid groups and other people, including NGOs and other fighters operating in the area that had provided evidence and reports of what happened with the Sarin strike. Their information stopped short of naming President Assad as the culprit.
“I don’t have the evidence,” Mattis said. “What I am saying is that other groups on the ground – NGOs, fighters on the ground – have said that sarin has been used, so we are looking for evidence.”
The reporting on this is highly suspect, though. (((Newsweek, Reuters and the Washington Post))) are three American publications that all have run pieces pointing out this contradictory matter. At this time, (((FoxNews))) has nothing on its site about this matter, but ZeroHedge does.
General “Mad Dog” Mattis, is known for an uncompromising approach to dealing with America’s enemies: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
He was an outspoken critic of President Obama’s Middle East policy, naming Iran as the single most serious threat to stability in the region. By all accounts, then, the General is faithful to the idea that projecting American power abroad is a good thing. Seen with this context, the general’s statement seems unusual.
Russia dismissed the allegations as “a massive propaganda attack conducted with the purpose of slandering Russia.” Moscow called an emergency UN Security Council session to discuss new developments of the use of chemical weapons in Syria.
On January 23, just ahead of the 24-nation "International Partnership against Impunity for the Use of Chemical Weapons" meeting, news surfaced of a possible chlorine gas attack, in which more than 20 civilians were allegedly injured. The reports were produced by controversial pro-militant sources – the White Helmets and the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), and have not yet been independently verified.
Earlier, the Russian foreign ministry said Moscow has “consistently and persistently” drawn the international community’s attention to the incidents involving the use of chemical weapons in Syria, and has repeatedly called for an independent and impartial investigation into the matter.
The US, however, “shows no interest and often simply ‘ignores’ the objective facts” of terrorists using chemical weapons against “the [Syrian] army and civilian population,” the ministry said. It added that Washington prefers to pin all the blame on Damascus instead, often peddling information from dubious and unreliable sources.
This comes as senior US officials claimed President Donald Trump is set to launch a military action if necessary against the Syrian government which they say is possibly developing new types of chemical weapons.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said last week that Syrian armed forces "evolved" their chemical weapons and made continued occasional use of them in smaller amounts since last April.
This is while the Syrian government has fiercely denied using or even possessing chemical weapons since the country’s compliance with the Chemical Weapons Convention was certified by international observers in 2013.