Final Fantasy XI - 2: All Roads Lead to Jeuno

Final Fantasy XI is an old MMORPG that does not follow the holy trinity, its not oriented towards competition but cooperation instead, and will kick your ass if you refuse to cooperate with allies to surpass the challenges that it puts forward.
the Admin of Comfinity (our own private server) got cucked by real life and couldn't keep it up anymore, we re-gathered (or at least we're trying to!) on another private server that seems to be, overall, the best one out of the bunch. With more than a few custom made QoL improvements and minigames to earn extra gil.

ffera.com
First, download the game, yes, the official game: playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html
if you already have the game installed (from Steam or from the original Discs)
then simply follow these instructions: wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client
the game must be fully installed and updated for the server to work, once you have that, you can use the Windower 4 program to connect to any server of your choice.
trouble installing? ask up.

the server has a normal experience rate of 4x but it also offers something new, the Mentor Mode, which is a self-restraining game mode with bonus perks, it caps your experience at 1x retail rate and blocks you from using Fields of Valor books while giving you access to certain extra features such as:
-free buffs from conveniently located NPCs around the game
-an infinite-usage
-access to special stores that sell equipment slightly better than what you would find in a regular weapon or armor shop in a city
-4x running speed within cities
-reduced exp loss on death past level 30 (non mentors lose 3 times as much exp when dying, while mentors lose just the normal amount)
it can be activated by typing "@bazaar" in game, and then talking to one of the two floating light-blue crystals in the bazaar area. you cannot change mentor mode on/off once you've gone past level 1 so it could be considered a hardcore mode. You're free to play either way you want, its character-independent.
The job you play is up to personal preference, you can switch them whenever you want, every job has its pros and cons and most of them can play more than one "role" depending on party setup.
send a private message in-game to Nel, Tonka, Uthayra or Kashiri to receive a Linkpearl, its an item that lets you chat in our private "room" so to say. To do so, you must open the chatbox and use the " /tell 'name' " command.

resources:
ffxi-atlas.com
In-game maps are not fully accurate, as part of the game was meant to be exploration, not every path is marked on the in-game maps
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
retail FFXI goes through updates even up to this [CURRENT YEAR] of ours, since the private server works on emulated software and its not trying to be just like modern retail FFXI, not everything might be accurate, but its still a good source of information for the most part.
no, the main story of the game is made of Rank Missions, which are different depending on which of the 3 nations you start on.
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rank
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Conquest

Other urls found in this thread:

tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php
youtu.be/s9k-uO50300?t=1m9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It is the CURRENT EXP

Post screenshots or webms or something.
I'm looking for an MMO to grind my life away, but none of currently popular WOW clones appeal to me, including FF14.

That's… some minimalistic UI there, especially for an MMO.

optional plug-ins dont show up when you take a screenshot. Those pictures are missing an exp bar at the top and a minimap

is there a way to fix/hack the consolized camera/movement controls? I like the game but this alone makes me want to kill my self.

What do you mean?

Well it looks comfy as fuck.
I think I'll give it a shot.

Installing the game is the first boss. {Good luck!}

Still one of my favorite areas in the game. Amazingly pretty tropical paradise for the year it was released.

even today it looks good because it doesn't rely on filters or obnoxious "more color=more prettier ;DDD" faggotry.

People are the problem. I firsthand experienced the cancerous post processing worshiping crowd.
I think I still haven't fully recovered.

[HUE intensifies]

{Scorpion Harness+1}
{Enhancing Sword}
{Tilt Belt}
{Drone Earring} x 2

he also gave a Byrnie+1 and a Thunder Ring to someone else. i wanted that byrnie, amazing stats.

Does this shit actually take 5-10 hours to update? what is this shit?

yes, there is one patch that reduces the update time though, it should be on the linked guide in the OP

game broke for me for no reason

im gonna try to fix it but i dont know what to do, i've already tried everything. i get retarded non-sensical errors before mainscreen, and the times i reach the main screen, i get stuck in the "downloading data" black screen.

What errors are you getting

nevermind, after 3 PC restarts and 2 router reboots the game started going through

So, i got on and noticed that the trust NPCs arent implemented. are they updating this? or this a "muh classic experience" thing?

This is sort of a deal breaker for me.

There's no trusts and there never will be you casual faggot

well, enjoy your shit server

kill yourself, dont come into my thread or my wife's thread ever again

re-uploading my starters UI&addons guide

some guy got banned for duping items

The happy merchant flows through me.

we're having a Lv62 party killing Lv68 mandragoras in {The Boytoy Tree}

pls come

wew that crashed right when I hit my macro

here's some music for comfy grinding

Comfinity is dead? Which server should I play on?

yes, RIP in kill ;_;7

gee i dunno, maybe the one we're already playing, just an opinion

Tonko need help with a drop bls log

bls

nvm got the drop anyway

{Avenger's Earring}

whats the title's song name, been wanting to download it, thanks in advance.

t. guy who has never played a single final fantasy

Vana'diel March i think, maybe March of Vana'diel.

Ok, now to find this one arrangement, but this set me on path, thanks much, amigo

fug, gant find id :DDDDDDDD
been on several pages nowm is this like a user made arrangement?

is it not this?

Nope, mate.

I want the one in the gondola thing at the OP.
This is okay, but not the one I look for.

that's a different theme altogether.

Oh, you meant the song in the OP. when you say title song people think you mean the title theme to the game. You want this

As I have never played a single one of these games I asked, and some guy above told me Vana'diel March, so I went with it.

But thank you, wish I had a beter toaster to play this, been wanting to play any skinnerbox.

Yeah, my bad, sleep deprived, and just went with a fallout with my family.

I will need this song to dream of a day where I can vidya in peace away from others.

Sorry for blogshit, I dont have any friend to approach.

thats not the opening theme you zonc, thats the theme of {Jeuno}

As I said, I have never had the chance to play any of these games, my apologies, user.

Came here to question the censorship in your Gondola webm.

I specifically remember it was called Snigger, not 'Snibber'.

I sincerely hope you're not trying to appropriate Gondola, but then take it to another level by censoring Gondolas and thus causing waves that we as a collective have been actively trying to escape since we migrated here.

Leave Snigger alone.

it was always snibber. at least in that picture everybody knows that in spurdospeak you replace the Ps with Bs, fuck off you newfag

Nothing is talking in that webm. They're labeled.

And you autistic newfag niggers have no idea still what you're talking about.

Gondola isn't a spurdo and is a physical representation of the soul. Snigger isn't a Spurdo, so again whatever you two morons are whining about, you're wrong. Then you got one of the morons thinking I said they were talking, when I was talking about the spurdo-speak, not them fucking talking. Are you two just illiterate? or is this all FFXI players that are this devoid of intelligence?

Cause I certainly don't remember this shit back when FFXI was new.

its fine dude, we just got confused because you called it opening theme.

which by the way i was right on the money, its called "Vana'Diel March". one of the songs you can select in the character select screen.

nobody cares Holla Forums, kill yourself

i spawned Nue in less than 3 PH kills, twice now.

THF46/DNC23, here's hoping he drops the fang this time

did everyone get busy all of a sudden or did we have a lot of RIPs?

Thornyr here. Been really busy this past week. Should be on a bit this weekend.

it's Thanksgiving you retard. I'll be back tomorrow

im not an americuck, to me its just thursday

there's a party looking for a melee in {wajaom woodlands} right now, 56 or higher

Garrkelvin here
Evening shifts have been siphoning my play time on top of the fact that im also practicing drawing and Godot engine. I can make some time tommorow or late at night

/ma bumpaga

finally

Hey faggots, if your game is so good, then why is your thread so dead? People like talking about good games.

Take off those rose tinted goggles.

thanks for the bump

No problem, I needed to do some charity for the less fortunate.

There was an update today if you didn't know, update your client.

my client always says im on the latest version and dont need to do any update

boobi

I am installing it right now, do I need to download all the expansions or just the base game?

full game, there's a guide in the OP

well fuck I dont know why I didn't just look there. Also I did this once before where I went to sleep while it downloaded but then when I woke up shit had gone wrong. I really hope when I wake up its done and everything will be nice.

there is a patch you can download that reduces the time from 8 hours to 1-2 hours

again, its within the links in the OP

goddamn it my playonline is stuck at 26% since yesterday is this normal or do i have to restart it?

just download the patch from TehKrizz.

if your internet is unstable the download will cut off.

do i download them one by one? i mean all of them?

Aight I got it all working, except for one thing.

How do I make my xbox controller work? Do I need a plug in for that? pic related is what i use.

There is a particular setting in options you need to toggle on, at which point you can customise your hotbars that are toggled by shoulder buttons.

the server we're playing on is down temporarily, no idea why

when is it coming up again? Also I heard some guy calim warrior was the easiest for beginners but BLM is way easier than WAR. just throw stones at people.

WAR is easier to level for beginners because you have high def and damage and not a whole lot of abilities to worry about. If you sub dancer on your WAR (or any melee class) you can solo to 75 very easily. BLM is very strong, in the first 10 levels or so you can probably 1 shot enemies to level very quickly, and 15-30 you can bind + nuke to still kill stuff quickly. BLM is not as beginner friendly though because you are physically weak, so you will die quicker when getting hit, and getting hit can interrupt your casting so you won't be able to solo at higher levels (at least not efficiently), and you have to buy all your spells, you don't just learn them. Now making money isn't particularly hard, but it is something to consider.

is it wrong that i want to fuck the taru the most?

Considering trying this, got a few questions first, in superior green text format:

right now? its 100% dead, has been off all day.
normally yeah, it is kinda hard to find a group for certain activities, and very easy for other activities.
it depends, will you play a mentor? or a normal?
no, you'll use several buttons which you'll create yourself. called Macros.
anything you want, you can change classes later, try them all out.
stat differences between races are few and rarely noticeable. a galka will definitely have more HP and a taru will have more INT, but just a few points.

Yes and no. If you make a regular character you can solo to 75 if you really wanted to, for the exception of the level cap quests you need to do to get over level 50 and every 5 levels after that (you only have to do it once). If you make a mentor character, which is 1x exp and no FoV pages, the FoV books are in certain zones and you can accept a page from it that is something like "10 beetles/1 cactuar" and everytime you kill those you get a big chunk of exp and it resets and you do it again. This is how most people level and easy lower level mobs that give very little exp themselves still give a big chunk from the page so people do that, and since mentors can't the only way they get good exp is from fighting higher level tougher monsters. In order to do that you usually need a full group and to actually put yourself in danger of dying, which many of the casual-babies on the server won't do.

You would think as a mentor you would be grinding the same thing for an eternity, but since you always have to search out stronger monsters you actually move around quite a bit. The game has level sync, allowing others to sync their level down to someone else in the group, so a level 75 can sync down to 14 and do the lizard/rabbit page in Valkurm Dunes with someone else, and some people do all their leveling in only 2 zones because of this. It could be because they're lazy, too scared to go anywhere else, or who knows what. I definitely wouldn't do that.

It can be hard, but I wouldn't say complex. It's got classic FF jrpg menus which are a hassle to go through, so you create macros to remove any unnecessary menuing. Combat is slow because the game was made around forming a community (you know, the mm in mmo) hence why in old retail you couldn't solo anything past 10, and everything was super vague so you had to actually talk to people about stuff. combat is slow so you got plenty of time to chat. There is some complexity but that's mostly later on, the jobs are all very similar the first 15 levels or so because you don't have many abilities.

You can switch jobs as much as you want, and you will want to because of subjobs, which is something you can unlock at level 18. A subjob sets a secondary job with your main one so you can use it's abilities and passive traits. For example, if you have a 30 WAR and a 30 NIN, you can set NIN as your sub and be a 30WAR/15NIN, because your sub will be set to half your main job. This lets you use the abilities of a 15 NIN as your 30 WAR. Only your main job gains experience so you need to switch jobs to level different subjobs for different situations. As said race differences aren't that noticeable.

I probably missed some things, just ask any questions you might have.

Apparently there was an issue with the server host and they're preparing to migrate to a different host soon™

the server is back up

If I make a mentor character, how long will it take me to hit level cap or get to a point where I can play with others reliably? I'm worried that if I go mentor I'll be stuck without being able to level because I can't find groups.

Also tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php this page has a lot of download links, what do I do to avoid the 8 hour download? Download them all and install in order? Thanks for the answers btw.

there's lots of mentors in the linkshell, so even if you dont rush to endgame, you'll always have people leveling jobs at a variety of levels to play with

Well that depends on your own autism of course, but as a mentor it will take quite a long time.

You want to download the patch roll-up near the bottom, the one that says for fresh installs.

Ok I did everything but when I used Windower4 or the new pol.exe I create my account, the window closes, I launch it again, login, the window closes but the game doesn't launch.

You probably skipped a step. Do you have all the runtimes you need?

Followed the guide in the OP. I'll uninstall everything and try the guide on their forums.

You don't have to uninstall, just go through the guide and make sure file folders are where they're supposed to be, and redownload runtimes.

youtu.be/s9k-uO50300?t=1m9s

Apparently you can't embed at a specific time.

i dont get it

It means he uninstalled the game.

i see, thanks for explaining this meta/tv/ meem to me